The Great CT - Community Thread

LOL! I grew up a Disney child, and that game was like getting to live inside the park and really interact with and help all the characters I grew up with. The nostalgia factor for me was off the charts.
(But we won't talk about Epic Mickey 2... Ugh)
Same here. Grew up with a ton of Disney movies, and I enjoy the silent era of cartoons, so this game was a treat for me. Also helps it plays like n64 games like Banjo and Mario, so it was a game that was made for me.

Epic Mickey 2?...Doesn't ring a bell.

:p

Well, I enjoyed Other M, AND Skyward Sword, so I'm probably not far off from Steve1's experience.

In essence, for both games, I was entertained.
First time I played through Skyward I was super disappointed, but the second playthrough a few years later I learn to appreciate it more. Still nowhere near my top Zelda games, but I like it well enough.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I never thought it would be possible to have bad tasting almonds, but I just found them.

@mattavelle1 The almonds I brought with me, I ended up leaving in your fridge at the house. You can try them if you want, but I think they taste horrible. I'll stick to Blue Diamond...

Tried any of the cheese yet? I won't be offended if you haven't yet...for now. :msrs:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I never thought it would be possible to have bad tasting almonds, but I just found them.

@mattavelle1 The almonds I brought with me, I ended up leaving in your fridge at the house. You can try them if you want, but I think they taste horrible. I'll stick to Blue Diamond...

Tried any of the cheese yet? I won't be offended if you haven't yet...for now. :msrs:
We haven't yet, we literally haven't been at home any this week. It's been as busy of a week as I've ever seen for myself and my family.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
*pokes head in chat*

Ive been playing Monster Hunter and Fed Force during what little free time I have. I just reached High Rank in MH and completed the fourth mission in Fed Force.
Very nice. I'm still playing blastball like I have no sense in Fed Force. I'm loving that game! Fed force is 100% a great buy for myself because of blastball already.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

So I tried out some Ultra Street Fighter IV online tonight for a bit. Learned a couple things. 13 month breaks from a game are not intuitive for remembering basically anything about the game. The people that are left are the kind that are so good I literally have no fun playing them at all because they wombo me to death before I can even get my bearings. Did finally manage to get a match with someone in roughly the same skill level though, and I won, so that was nice.

praisegrima

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Well guys, I'm off on another adventure this weekend. This time, river rafting. I've done it before on a smaller river - it was fun at the time, but afterwards I was petrified looking at photos and thinking about it!

So here's hoping I don't die!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well guys, I'm off on another adventure this weekend. This time, river rafting. I've done it before on a smaller river - it was fun at the time, but afterwards I was petrified looking at photos and thinking about it!

So here's hoping I don't die!
Judging from the pics of yours on past treks.......you will be fine I'm sure :msrs:

I quite enjoyed the first Prey, partially because I could somewhat self-insert into the main character, Tommy. My hair was that long at one point, it was pretty awesome. I also had a fear of alien abductions. Also I'm his shade.
When I saw the debut trailer for Prey 2, at the time I instantly dismissed it, "they replaced a character I quite enjoyed with a generic white military dude" is what I thought. Never bothered looking into the game after and didnt really hear much about it until this reboot announcement this past E3.

Leads me to this video
Had I known Prey 2 looked so awesome, I would have cared. I am ashamed at my younger self. And I'm equally bummed that it got cancelled. I'm sure Arkane will make a fine game, but like the guy said in the video, it didnt need to be at the expense of the Prey IP. The business is scummy.

Shoulder

I quite enjoyed the first Prey, partially because I could somewhat self-insert into the main character, Tommy. My hair was that long at one point, it was pretty awesome. I also had a fear of alien abductions. Also I'm his shade.
When I saw the debut trailer for Prey 2, at the time I instantly dismissed it, "they replaced a character I quite enjoyed with a generic white military dude" is what I thought. Never bothered looking into the game after and didnt really hear much about it until this reboot announcement this past E3.

Leads me to this video
Had I known Prey 2 looked so awesome, I would have cared. I am ashamed at my younger self. And I'm equally bummed that it got cancelled. I'm sure Arkane will make a fine game, but like the guy said in the video, it didnt need to be at the expense of the Prey IP. The business is scummy.
It's really Bethesda getting back at Human Head for not taking the deal. What is interesting is the source code for Prey 2 is somewhere, and for all we know, someone or some group of people could be working on it in their spare time and will simply just release it as a free game to spite Bethesda. Obviously, it will never happen, but I would love to imagine a scenario where Prey 2 got "leaked" as a complete game. Again though, won't happen.

And yes, the new Prey does look very cool, but the use of the name from Human Head's version just appears to be a stab in the back for Human Head. At least HH are still around, and maybe they will in fact get a chance to work on Prey 2 again since Bethesda were only the publishers on it (or does Bethesda own Prey 2?). Maybe they could get back in touch with 2K Games and get it released as originally intended. The only issue though will to differentiate it between this new Prey game coming out, and the first game from 2006.

I played Prey back in 2006, and loved it, so I feel you there Frito that it's a shame it never came to launch.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'm about half a thought away from going to buy a PlayStation TV at GameStop. They have a used one for $29. I already have my buddy's PS3 controller to use whenever I want to. I wouldn't be springing for the expensive memory card because I'd pretty much be getting it solely to play Vanillaware games.

I'm about half a thought away from going to buy a PlayStation TV at GameStop. They have a used one for $29. I already have my buddy's PS3 controller to use whenever I want to. I wouldn't be springing for the expensive memory card because I'd pretty much be getting it solely to play Vanillaware games.
For $29, you should go for it, man. That's cheaper than most games. Hell, I'm thinking of going for one as well. Would be nice to be able to play the few Vita games that have caught my eye

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
For $29, you should go for it, man. That's cheaper than most games. Hell, I'm thinking of going for one as well. Would be nice to be able to play the few Vita games that have caught my eye
Well...

Vita.jpg

With tax, $52 out the door. I'll make a thread on it later...but I highly recommend getting one. It's tiny. Sets up incredibly simply (I'm just swapping the HDMI cable between my Wii U and it). Very few jaggies, honestly (but I only have a 720p TV). The Vita has a neat library of niche games - it's apparently got the definitive version of Persona 4 (if that's your jam), and it has a few MonHun clones that are supposed to be pretty good (if anyone wants to play Future Wars, hit a dude up; I could see myself doing some hunting on the big screen again).

But yeah, worth it just to play Muramasa with a jump button. For me, this is a Vanillaware box.

I'd say wait 'til Black Friday deals, but they stopped shipping these to America and Europe; my GS had a grand total of two of these (but since it's still shipping in Japan and the Vita is still a thing, it'll still be supported for awhile longer). The only caveats are if you don't already have a PS3 controller and if you plan on using PS Now (pricey controller, pricey memory cards). But if you have the controller and want a tiny little console that gives you access to a great library, it's worth it.

Last edited:

Socar

I hate the direction that One Piece is going really.

thin characters that are capable of being stabbed and still staying alive, Luffy's idiocy and his ridiculous ability of still staying alive after shortening his lifespan and the story still not reaching to its end one bit.....

What's the point of this series going on really? I mean, it should end by now. Bleach has ended, Naruto has ended and even Dragon Ball reached its end. This damn series still won't end. The story is just getting worse as the series progress and I'm not even gone through the timeskip era yet.

One thing that really bothers me is how the author refuses to put romance and yet somehow feels that cleavages and big giant boobs aren't really prompting for romance there ( even one main character is obsessed over women).

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I hate the direction that One Piece is going really.

thin characters that are capable of being stabbed and still staying alive, Luffy's idiocy and his ridiculous ability of still staying alive after shortening his lifespan and the story still not reaching to its end one bit.....

What's the point of this series going on really? I mean, it should end by now. Bleach has ended, Naruto has ended and even Dragon Ball reached its end. This damn series still won't end. The story is just getting worse as the series progress and I'm not even gone through the timeskip era yet.

One thing that really bothers me is how the author refuses to put romance and yet somehow feels that cleavages and big giant boobs aren't really prompting for romance there ( even one main character is obsessed over women).
could not disagree more

*Floats up face down in the lake otherwise known as "Life"*

Don't mind me, just losing my mind with homework tonight. Hopefully I will be able to hangout more here once I get into the routine of things.

theMightyME

Oh? And I suppose you have a theory that explains that all of that is realism in this form that the author is actually very creative and the stories are top notch?
I feel like the series has been consistently clever and creative in a way that bleach (trash) and Naruto (stayed good, then became trash) could never hope to be. The series is not realistic, nor has it aspired to be, it's progression is natural, the further they go the more complicated the world gets and the power escalation makes perfect sense, you see super strong characters fairly early on and the characters evolve meaningfully over time... In the current manga they are taking on 1 of the 4 emperors, which are essentially the most powerful pirates in the series, 2 of the 4 emperors (as well as another former emperor) have been in the series for like 10 years, it isn't like their is suddenly a bigger threat, Luffy and his crew are literally traveling closer to the bigger threats. Meanwhile their is a vague back sorry that has remained interesting about a powerful nation in the past that was wiped out, but relics of the nation exist... This has been teased at since the series began in 1997...

Every so often the series will have a slow arc, but unlike bleach or Naruto their haz been a clear direction throughout the entire series that had remained compelling.

If you want a REALLY good shounen manga, skip Naruto and bleach and check out Hunter X Hunter which is really the only long running Shonen series that is as good as One Piece, though for reasons that would likely better appeal to you.

But don't bring up bleach as an example of something good before bashing one piece... Bleach is utter trash, the worst of the big shounen series... BY FAR.

The issue here is probably that One Piece is too whimsical for your tastes... It is still a great manga though.... If you want a really smart, really serious shounen manga, with lots of strategy skip bleach entirely, and stop reading Naruto at the time skip... Pick up Hunter x Hunter, and thank me later.

Socar

I feel like the series has been consistently clever and creative in a way that bleach (trash) and Naruto (stayed good, then became trash) could never hope to be. The series is not realistic, nor has it aspired to be, it's progression is natural, the further they go the more complicated the world gets and the power escalation makes perfect sense, you see super strong characters fairly early on and the characters evolve meaningfully over time... In the current manga they are taking on 1 of the 4 emperors, which are essentially the most powerful pirates in the series, 2 of the 4 emperors (as well as another former emperor) have been in the series for like 10 years, it isn't like their is suddenly a bigger threat, Luffy and his crew are literally traveling closer to the bigger threats. Meanwhile their is a vague back sorry that has remained interesting about a powerful nation in the past that was wiped out, but relics of the nation exist... This has been teased at since the series began in 1997...

Every so often the series will have a slow arc, but unlike bleach or Naruto their haz been a clear direction throughout the entire series that had remained compelling.

If you want a REALLY good shounen manga, skip Naruto and bleach and check out Hunter X Hunter which is really the only long running Shonen series that is as good as One Piece, though for reasons that would likely better appeal to you.

But don't bring up bleach as an example of something good before bashing one piece... Bleach is utter trash, the worst of the big shounen series... BY FAR.

The issue here is probably that One Piece is too whimsical for your tastes... It is still a great manga though.... If you want a really smart, really serious shounen manga, with lots of strategy skip bleach entirely, and stop reading Naruto at the time skip... Pick up Hunter x Hunter, and thank me later.
Oh give me a break. The same gags over and over again, the humor is less and less funny as the times go on and the characterization is weak for some units. Zoro being the best swordsman? You can't be the best swordsman because the ones in the future are bound to take over the title. You can't expect luffy to stay alive after all the lifespan he wastes using second gear. The Marines have no idea what to do making the people look like idiots, the characters never change their development and still remain the same throughout despite their looks being changed (which is still odd like Robin all of a sudden having fair skin compared to the usual brown skin?)

The worlds may be imaginative and the stories may be creative but that isn't enough to make a manga a worthy read since the characters have to be worth to read. By now I expect luffy to be matured but he's still dumb than ever. All he does is "Saving my friends because I care about them" when really, that's just an excuse so that he needs people to just get him to wherever he wants to go. There's no way he can do the whole thing solo because otherwise, he wouldn't have wanted Zoro in the first place.

Take a look at every manga you see there and they give reasons as to WHY the main character needs other characters supports. Goku being the perfect example. Luffy? Bar none. He can do fishing, he can pack a punch and if money's the problem, he can easily work out on something. The only thing that he'd be struggling is navigation which I'll agree that's the only weak thing for him.

Getting new ships wouldn't be a problem for him because it could easily be done in a way that he can get a new ship easily. Actually, if the manga was done this way, Luffy's character can be developed further and can make him easily accept as a character of his own....

But no, instead he's just a dumbed down clone of Goku.

Even Dragon Ball is better than One Piece because it has character development.

Shoulder

My first Gene Wilder movie was Willy Wonka, and always remembered this scene.

There was also this one that sticks with you:

This was long before I ever watched Young Frankenstein, let alone Blazing Saddles. In all, those three are a trilogy of the essence of Gene Wilder.

Anyone pre-order a game from Amazon? I want Shantae physical copy for the soundtrack, but I never pre-ordered on Amazon before. Does it ship slightly before release, or ships on release date so I'll be an extra week or so without the game.

Anyone pre-order a game from Amazon? I want Shantae physical copy for the soundtrack, but I never pre-ordered on Amazon before. Does it ship slightly before release, or ships on release date so I'll be an extra week or so without the game.
it comes to you the day of release, so as long as your postman is on time you'll get it.

theMightyME

Oh give me a break. The same gags over and over again, the humor is less and less funny as the times go on and the characterization is weak for some units. Zoro being the best swordsman? You can't be the best swordsman because the ones in the future are bound to take over the title. You can't expect luffy to stay alive after all the lifespan he wastes using second gear. The Marines have no idea what to do making the people look like idiots, the characters never change their development and still remain the same throughout despite their looks being changed (which is still odd like Robin all of a sudden having fair skin compared to the usual brown skin?)

The worlds may be imaginative and the stories may be creative but that isn't enough to make a manga a worthy read since the characters have to be worth to read. By now I expect luffy to be matured but he's still dumb than ever. All he does is "Saving my friends because I care about them" when really, that's just an excuse so that he needs people to just get him to wherever he wants to go. There's no way he can do the whole thing solo because otherwise, he wouldn't have wanted Zoro in the first place.

Take a look at every manga you see there and they give reasons as to WHY the main character needs other characters supports. Goku being the perfect example. Luffy? Bar none. He can do fishing, he can pack a punch and if money's the problem, he can easily work out on something. The only thing that he'd be struggling is navigation which I'll agree that's the only weak thing for him.

Getting new ships wouldn't be a problem for him because it could easily be done in a way that he can get a new ship easily. Actually, if the manga was done this way, Luffy's character can be developed further and can make him easily accept as a character of his own....

But no, instead he's just a dumbed down clone of Goku.

Even Dragon Ball is better than One Piece because it has character development.
none of your reasons make the series bad, just not for you, where as Bleach is just bad... One Piece is suppsoed to be mostly light and fluffy in tone... as far as Luffy being a goku clone, that architype has been in manga for much longer than dragon ball, but yes, they fall into the same archetype...and I would say that one piece has just as much character development as db, as well as real character death (though rare)... One Piece just isn't for you man, but that doesn't take away from its qualities, you had the exact same issue with video games... not every manga or video game is going to be made to your desires.... that doesn't make them bad.. some ARE objectively bad... Bleach is objectively bad... One Piece is just not for you... it is too whimsical for somebody like you....

as I said.. start reading Hunter x Hunter... it is a very very very good series that will apeal more to your interests... it is like naruto... but way way way better, and it improves over time rather than degrading... it also remains smart and strategic where as naruto just became a pissing contest... there is a significant amount of character depth, and though gon on the surface is a goku/luffy type, you begin to realize there is a lot more to him... he is capable of both cruelty and benevolence .... and his best friend as a fucking assassin who actually kills people... there is a joker-esque character who seems almost sexually attracted to fighting powerful people, and the series just overall smart.

not every series is going to be a match for you, one piece is not, it is still a greats eries though... now find your match with Hunter x hunter, and then thank me...