The Great CT - Community Thread

Socar

This is the most anal whiny bullshit I've ever heard

If you're not left handed and you cant play this game then you're incompetent. straight up.

And there are left handed people who can play this game superbly lol

Cant believe a pc gamer like muttmouthed lil yachty couldnt even hack it lmao

All you do is spin the camera around, every other aspect of the controls is completely customizeable
Really, at this point, its a debate. If you like it good for you but for those of us who can't get used to it, we lose because we missed out on a fun game. I think it should be left out like that to sum this up really.

I would argue that if a game sacrifices its accessibility in favor of unique controls, then people who are unable to enjoy the game have every right to criticism said controls.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
But should every game be pick up and go accessible?

Bayonetta really isn't, if you want to do well at it. There is a learning curve.
Same for the Wonderful 101.

Both games are fantastic, but they did have learning curves with the controls.
Obviously people can have any criticism they want, but I truly don't believe that Kid Icarus (or the others I mentioned) had controls that were unable to be mastered.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

Bayonetta really isn't, if you want to do well at it. There is a learning curve.

Obviously people can have any criticism they want, but I truly don't believe that Kid Icarus (or the others I mentioned) had controls that were unable to be mastered.
The Wonderful 101, Star Fox Zero, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii, etc.

All those mentioned have non-conventional control schemes, so it will take some getting used to. The issue I foresee is those who can't handle it are simply impatient, and I say this because it's been shown that the controls are NOT broken by any stretch of the imagination. Some simply took the time to get used to it, like most do for every game. Some games do require more time to get the hang of it, and even then, it'll still require some level of skill. That being said, it's all a matter of opinion.

Simply put though, I love a challenge in video games, but I am not everyone. This is simply my thought process of it. Case in point, W101. First time I tried out the demo, I did not like it, but I wanted to love the game. I played through about halfway through the campaign before the controls and gameplay finally clicked, and then it became one of my favorite experiences thus far. I sometimes think of these control schemes or gameplay mechanics like a science experiment. I know it's been replicated successfully, so I know it's possible to get good at it. It becomes an issue of if people want to put forth the effort, and some people don't want to.

As far as Kid Icarus is concerned, I have yet to play the game, but I've always had it on my radar since I picked up my 3DS. Perhaps early next year, I'll go and pick it up, and see how it fares.

I never said that the controls could not be mastered, but I do feel they were far from ideal. The fact that Nintendo bundled a stand with the game more or less proves that Nintendo knew about the problems and chose to go with them anyways. I was used to the controls thanks to Metroid Prime Hunter, however that does not change the fact that I loathed those controls (And the games associated with them) until I got the hang of it, and even then I still got severe wrist pain after playing more than an hour or so.

The game was built around those controls, and it worked; but was it necessary to build around it though? I personally feel the game was ultimately worse for using those controls rather than being built around an established and more reliable game mechanic. (Even though I did enjoy it)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It becomes an issue of if people want to put forth the effort, and some people don't want to.
Definitely. I think people are in their right to blame a game for not being interesting enough, but when there's an interest in the game, even the most convoluted and difficult control system will be learned. Street Fighter, for example, has a control system that seems absurd when you think about it: you jump with the same stick that you move, you tap twice in a direction to dash, and you hold back to block; you have 6 buttons each with a specific attack assigned to it (which may change depending on proximity with the opponent and the player's standing, crouching, or jumping states), but if you press different combinations of buttons you can access grabs, skills, triggers, knockdown recoveries, ex attacks, and taunts; and you have to input different commands with the stick in combination with the buttons to access special and super attacks. No one should be asked to bother with a control system like that, yet people are willing to learn and master it because the game itself is so compelling.

The same can be said of Monster Hunter: the charge blade attack flow chart below seems too complex to memorize, but because the core game is so fun, players are more than willing to study the chart in order to improve at the game. Like I said, though, it ultimately depends on whether a game was compelling enough to push a player to that level of mastery. Regardless of how much I enjoy Monster Hunter, if someone else doesn't find it as compelling, then they won't see the point of putting in extra effort to study complex controls.

http://i.imgur.com/MeGcSbg.png

Furthermore, if you ask two people, one that has played a game extensively and loves it, and one who hasn't played it much and doesn't care too much for it, "how should the controls be changed?" you'll get very different responses. The player that already loves a game will likely be thinking of control changes that benefit the depth of the game, while the player that didn't find it very compelling might be more concerned with the controls' accessibility. I don't think it would be easy to please both players with a single change to the controls, either.

Shoulder

Definitely. I think people are in their right to blame a game for not being interesting enough, but when there's an interest in the game, even the most convoluted and difficult control system will be learned. Street Fighter, for example, has a control system that seems absurd when you think about it: you jump with the same stick that you move, you tap twice in a direction to dash, and you hold back to block; you have 6 buttons each with a specific attack assigned to it (which may change depending on proximity with the opponent and the player's standing, crouching, or jumping states), but if you press different combinations of buttons you can access grabs, skills, triggers, knockdown recoveries, ex attacks, and taunts; and you have to input different commands with the stick in combination with the buttons to access special and super attacks. No one should be asked to bother with a control system like that, yet people are willing to learn and master it because the game itself is so compelling.

The same can be said of Monster Hunter: the charge blade attack flow chart below seems too complex to memorize, but because the core game is so fun, players are more than willing to study the chart in order to improve at the game. Like I said, though, it ultimately depends on whether a game was compelling enough to push a player to that level of mastery. Regardless of how much I enjoy Monster Hunter, if someone else doesn't find it as compelling, then they won't see the point of putting in extra effort to study complex controls.

Furthermore, if you ask two people, one that has played a game extensively and loves it, and one who hasn't played it much and doesn't care too much for it, "how should the controls be changed?" you'll get very different responses. The player that already loves a game will likely be thinking of control changes that benefit the depth of the game, while the player that didn't find it very compelling might be more concerned with the controls' accessibility. I don't think it would be easy to please both players with a single change to the controls, either.
I'm really glad you brought up fighting games because this is one of the reasons why I don't play them much anymore. Smash is slightly different in this regard because the same buttons combos are used for similar attacks for each character, so transitioning from one character to another is not so bad. It comes down to at that point which character do you prefer.

But most fighting games have those complicated button combos for each individual character, and I currently do not have the time to learn it. I am also not a big fan of fighting games these days, which some might find ironic given I study and train in martial arts. But I also don't play sports games really either, but I love racing games, and I have a love for cars and driving, so go figure.

In the case of Monster Hunter that is a matter of Game complexity vs Control complexity. I can't say much for Street Fighter other than it's controls are deterrent to players like myself.

Shoulder

So it appears this was probably one of, if not the last TV appearance of Carrie Fisher, and was probably filmed only days before her heart attack. It's also surprisingly funny, so do check it out. I had never even heard of this show, but considering it's Jimmy Carr as host, it looked interesting.

Socar

People need to stop blaming the year for bad events that happened. As sad as they are, you can't blame the year for what the year is. I used to be like that and hated 2006 but when other years became as bad as this, I realize that there's no point into hating a year anymore. Because its only a matter of time that a bad event is bound to happen.

I mean, look at me. I'm damn depressed near the end of this year all because of that damn credit card thing as well as several other issues. But this year also got me a lot of great things like being with you guys/gals and I actually quite like it here and I can only hope that I can stay here for as long as I like. And I got Fire Emblem for GBA, a fantastic game and I'm happy that I got the chance to play it!

And also, this....as much as I don't like Nintendo's new move to mobile has also been a great year for Nintendo. Granted, we don't know how this will turn out in the end, but so far, Nintendo is performing well enough that we don't have to start dooming it now atleast.

I never said that the controls could not be mastered, but I do feel they were far from ideal. The fact that Nintendo bundled a stand with the game more or less proves that Nintendo knew about the problems and chose to go with them anyways. I was used to the controls thanks to Metroid Prime Hunter, however that does not change the fact that I loathed those controls (And the games associated with them) until I got the hang of it, and even then I still got severe wrist pain after playing more than an hour or so.

The game was built around those controls, and it worked; but was it necessary to build around it though? I personally feel the game was ultimately worse for using those controls rather than being built around an established and more reliable game mechanic. (Even though I did enjoy it)
Here's the thing. Uprising was developed by Masahiro Sakurai....well ok Nintendo made it but it was still directed by him. He wanted to make it like that and he honestly felt that touch screen controls are the most responsive when playing these type of games. The guy got inspirations from games like Space Harrier and Prime Hunters is something he claims has a terrible control scheme despite it being the exact same scheme as this one.

Even if the 3DS came with a "proper" dual analog, I'm willing to bet that he would've still made this as the final control scheme. But the problem is that FPS games are simply not meant to work well on handhelds because they require responsive controls while at the same time, it needs to be comfortable and that comfort doesn't work on handhelds when playing FPS games.

The most confortable scheme is PC because all you need is a mouse and a keyboard and boom, you get used to it easily.

Socar

Ok...I think I just want to express my first impressions of Owlboy....I LOVE IT!

The gameplay is fun, has a very deep story and amazing visuals and breadthtaking soundtrack!

This song here....made me cry like literally......

This game should come for the 3DS.... IT is simply that good!!!!!!!!!

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
So it appears this was probably one of, if not the last TV appearance of Carrie Fisher, and was probably filmed only days before her heart attack. It's also surprisingly funny, so do check it out. I had never even heard of this show, but considering it's Jimmy Carr as host, it looked interesting.

I started watching British panel shows a long time ago - I've seen every episode of almost every panel show. There is really no equivalent in North America, and they do it so well.

Was surprised when Carrie was on. Was super surprised a few days later when she had a heart attack. Was super saiyan 3 when I found out she died.

Shoulder

I started watching British panel shows a long time ago - I've seen every episode of almost every panel show. There is really no equivalent in North America, and they do it so well.

Was surprised when Carrie was on. Was super surprised a few days later when she had a heart attack. Was super saiyan 3 when I found out she died.
And when you figure she was heading on a plane from London back to the states, this was probably one of the last things she did before getting on that flight. And as others have pointed out, she looked rather lively, and her usual self. Not much of a sign of her health deteriorating, but drugs and alcohol she used to do back in the day can have drastic effects on your health later in life. The damage likely was already done sadly.

And as a huge Star Wars fan, I am very curious to know what'll be done for Episode 9 in two years. I've heard that Episode 8 has already wrapped up filming, so I am interested in knowing what Lucasfilm and Disney will do.

She might have behaved lively but she looked unhealthy. I know people gave her a lot of shit on this post-Episode 8, but aside from those being mean it was also people being worried.

Shoulder

She might have behaved lively but she looked unhealthy. I know people gave her a lot of shit on this post-Episode 8, but aside from those being mean it was also people being worried.
She might've looked a little unhealthy, but it's still a surprise for many. Hell, when my one Grandmother died of a heart attack 9 years ago, it was a shock to my entire family because it was so sudden. There was little warning of her having health issues. Granted, she also kept that information from my parents for a number of years because it's just something people of that generation don't talk much about. But whenever I saw her, and we played pool together, there was no indication physically that her health was suffering. She was as lively, and chipper as she had always been. And one of the last things we talked about was when she would return to visit, and we'd have yet another rematch. We never had that rematch.

This is the most anal whiny bullshit I've ever heard

If you're not left handed and you cant play this game then you're incompetent. straight up.

And there are left handed people who can play this game superbly lol

Cant believe a pc gamer like muttmouthed lil yachty couldnt even hack it lmao

All you do is spin the camera around, every other aspect of the controls is completely customizeable
I just got back from a family trip and it was as exciting as playing on a Wii u. I saw this comment when I got back

Oh I am sorry that I did not have the same experience as you or your left handed friends, oh how naïve of me.I will no longer say anything bad about your precious games and never express my own TRUE opinions about the game that differ from yours. I will just say every game you like is flawless no matter what because I don't want to gain h8ers

Socar

Just beated Owlboy and I wrote a review about it on gamefaqs. Its yet to be posted but I'll post my review again here since I want you all to get it and why I think you ought to try it!

Owl Boy I believe is a game that I feel that everyone should play. It is a game that proves how love and care into developing a game, no matter how long it takes, matters and is always the satisfying reward.

For those of you unaware, Owlboy was underdevelopment for over nine years....that's four years higher than how long Cave Story took!

I'll admit, I hardly ever recalled knowing of this game's existence, mostly because I was unaware of this game's development...until now.

So without further ado, let's review the game

Story:- 4.5/5

When you first play the game, do not be fooled by the first part of the game which I won't spoil. At first glance, it may look like how most games start out with but its more than that. You get a well cast of memorable characters of which you will instantly care for them similar to how some games like Fire Emblem does.

The story goes very deep and it actually doesn't feel scripted nor does it feel like its obvious which is the strongest part of the story. The story will keep you interested in wanting to know more until the end.

But then if it is that good, then what stops it from being perfect?

Its really difficult to explain how the story is without spoiling it so I can only say that you play the game to find out how good it is. There is only one issue I have with it that left me a bit puzzled. Again, all I can say is play it to see it.

Visuals:- 5/5

The visuals in this game....are beyond gorgeous, they are breathtaking! the game uses pixel art to express its form of art and it shows. The trees, grass, skies, pillars, houses..everything about the game looks beautiful to the point that it keeps getting better and better.

And it does, later on, you'll see fresh environments that add some flavor to the visuals making the worlds more believable.

My favorite part here is that sometimes, the game will switch between bright colors and dark which is to say that there are times when the game goes on morning and night further making the situations even more fufilling to look at.

Words cannot express how beautiful this game looks. It just goes to show that pixel art doesn't mean retro art. It just means art displayed in pixels and Owlboy does that beautifully.

Audio:- 5/5

Another fantastic part of this game, the music. There is a lot of variety to be had here and all of them sound amazing. You have adventurous types of music, thrill type of music, situation type of music..all of this meshes with the game well and they are worth listening to when notje playing the game.

A lot of these songs pull tears in my face and I can't help but smile while crying

overall, the score is perfect. Music may be a subjective matter to all of us, ibut I feel this game can please anyone's ears.

Gameplay: 4.5/5

The gameplay is solid. You start off as a main hero who has the ability to fly. For the most part, you will fly through sections rather than manually jumping from one platform to another. You can also grab objects while flying to either use or throw them.

However, even with you're flying skills, you won't be powerful enough to defeat enemies which is why the game offers you certain characters who will assist you into not just taking out enemies but also solving some of the game's puzzles and one of which you get early in the game.

The thing is you have to carry one of these characters inorder to use them to attack enemies and bosses which won't take too much of time getting used to. But the game makes this process easier for you so that you don't have to manually carry them to the positions where they are left out or are dropped.

Scattered around are treasure chests which give you coins and you use them to get further upgrades like maximizing you're health meter or powering up each character's abilities.

The game also offers a bit of variety and throws in some stealth sections in some cases which are quite fun to play even though most of these are quite short.

One realistic approach I like that this game does is that the player can only get health by eating fruits or vegetables but these are very scarce and only grow in environments that have vegetation.

Now this might cause some concern and raises the question of how difficult the game is and to answer that, its fairly a bit challenging but the game has well placed checkpoints which make the experience of losing more forgiving. Infact the game autosaves at various points so double bonus to that!

And that is just about the overall of the gameplay. So why is it not perfect?

That's because there isn't any replay value that this game has. No extra modes, no sense of accomplishment and oddly, a lack of collectables for a platform game. Granted, its not a full platform game but still.

And the game's upgrade system is underwhelming as you don't really need them that much since they don't do anything special.

However considering that the game had a long development cycle and the fact that the gameplay is sacrificed in favor of the story, I don't mind it too much...although it could have helped making the story longer.

Conclusion:-

Owlboy is a must have game. It may not be perfect but the amount of content the game delivers is satisfying enough that it will make you smile throughout.

Personally, I'm glad I played this game and I am certainly looking forward into buying this game's sequel should an opportunity ever happen.

I picked up Final Fantasy XV. I'm surprised how much I like it despite the side quests being kinda lame in what you are doing. Story wise it helps that I watched the anime and movie. Still, I can't put it down.

Gonna get a lot of shit for saying this, but this satisfies my need for another open world game for awhile, so if Zelda gets "delayed" it Holiday 2017, I won't be as upset.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I feel horrible for Carrie's daughter Billie, who is excellent in Scream Queens, she just lost her mom and grandma
I love Billie in Scream Queens, and that the earmuffs have always been an homage to her mother's Star Wars character is even more poignant now.
What a terrible week for this family, and a huge loss for cinema buffs. "Singin' in the Rain" was just pure magic when I saw it as a child. I was reminded again and again that I was not allowed to run up the back of chairs to get them to tip over so I could create a big finish.

Shoulder

I just got back from a family trip and it was as exciting as playing on a Wii u. I saw this comment when I got back

Oh I am sorry that I did not have the same experience as you or your left handed friends, oh how naïve of me.I will no longer say anything bad about your precious games and never express my own TRUE opinions about the game that differ from yours. I will just say every game you like is flawless no matter what because I don't want to gain h8ers
Perhaps to think of it another way, you say the camera and touch screen aiming are all broken. Ok, please explain, and I am asking as someone who has never played Kid Icarus: Uprising. What is so fundamentally broken about it? Also, you mentioned how the dodging mechanic is too sensitive. Again, care to elaborate on that? Do you mean by aiming your analog stick in a specific direction, Pit goes into that direction to dodge attacks? If so, I know the God of War franchise does that, so how does that compare?

I guess my big thing, and Laer was probably getting at it as well, are the controls actually broken, or did you simply not learn to adapt to them, and thus it caused you much frustration and grief as a result? I know I've gotten frustrated from certain control schemes in the past, and then all of the sudden, something clicked. I then could play the game with ease. Is it entirely possible you did not reach that point during your play through?

Socar

So now that I reviewed owlboy, I want to express the demand of having a PROPER health bar for metroidvania AND platform games in general.

Seriously, Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends, Teslagrad and so many games these days lack a health system and they stick with a concept of getting hit once and start the sequence all over again. Its so damn frustrating and its not the right way to make a game challenging at all and I don't care what your say is over here.

Ever since Super Meat Boy showed up, devs have ignored implementing a health bar and have made games without it in favor of giving checkpoints. And I'm glad Owl boy has a health bar and a unique one too!

Shoulder

So, I'm sitting here thinking about 2016, and what it meant for me, and things I noticed, and what I realized first was I am absolutely shit at picking up on hints from women. I mean, like, seriously shit at hints. I look back at the last 12 months, and realized there were quite a few instances where hints were dropped, and I failed to pick up on them. Whether it was a mutual friend, or a 45 year old cougar, I failed at picking up hints. :mfacepalm:

I'm happy being a single guy, but damn do I need to get with the program.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Ah yesh, Shantae came in the mail today. Didn't even realize it came with a CD until I opened it up after work.

Don't know if I'll feel up to playing it for a couple weeks due to being busy, but it sure is nice to get a real instruction booklet in a physical game again.

praisegrima

Ah yesh, Shantae came in the mail today. Didn't even realize it came with a CD until I opened it up after work.

Don't know if I'll feel up to playing it for a couple weeks due to being busy, but it sure is nice to get a real instruction booklet in a physical game again.

praisegrima
Oh nice, hope you give us your impressions of the game when you get around to it. I've been meaning to pick up the game myself but the price point is a bit of a turn off, especially compared to other indie platformers like Shovel Knight

Wayforward has always been a developer brushing up against greatness imo but can't quite get there. To me their best game is Pirate's Curse, but Inti Creates worked with them on that one. Ducktales was pretty good too but that was a remake so...yeah.

I have fun with their games but it always feels like their missing something. At least to me.

From what I'm hearing, Pirate's Curse is still the best Shantae game, but I'll get 1/2 Genie Hero one day. I hear it's more linear and action packed than Metroidvania this time, which I'm a bit disappointed in but I'll get over it.

Socar

Oh shit,forgot about Contra 4. That gane kicked all kinds of ass
Which really begs the question...how is Nintendo ever going to put DS games on Virtual console now with switch being one screen.

Also some interesting facts about the Game & Watch, Game Boy and the DS if you're interested...

http://gonintendo.com/stories/27109...eation-of-the-game-watc?page=1#comment-107156

I just have one question though....So now that this is revealed, does this mean that Gunpei Yokoi is now less of a legend unlike before? Its a bit sad now...:(

Which really begs the question...how is Nintendo ever going to put DS games on Virtual console now with switch being one screen.

Also some interesting facts about the Game & Watch, Game Boy and the DS if you're interested...

http://gonintendo.com/stories/27109...eation-of-the-game-watc?page=1#comment-107156

I just have one question though....So now that this is revealed, does this mean that Gunpei Yokoi is now less of a legend unlike before? Its a bit sad now...:(
I never downloaded any DS games on the Wii U, but there are options for having two screens together on the tv or tablet. That said, if this new tablet isn't touch screen, then DS VC might disappear altogether, or at least for games like Zelda and Elite Beat Agents.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
On Dec the 20th @TheAmazingLSB had a healthy baby girl. Congradualtions LSB she looked beautiful from the pics:mgrin:
Congrats @TheAmazingLSB - Best wishes to your family!
I read this far "On Dec the 20th @TheAmazingLSB" and I started to feel a panic attack coming on, as I know he has had a rough go recently, then I read the rest and instantly let out a sigh of relief...

congrats LSB

Thanks for the well wishes guys....

And thanks for caring if I was dead or not Mighty, lol....