The Great CT - Community Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't believe in waiting for New Year's to do a resolution. If you want to better yourself, whether it's quitting a shit habit or starting something that benefits you, you should just do it regardless what the calendar says.
I don't believe in them either. This year tho has felt like a fresh start tho. And nice.............switch..........you may say:mmischief:

Screw that. I restrict self improvement to one day a year, displays affection to another, and dressing up like a spooky ghost to another. You don't see people wearing sheets over their head whenever it takes their fancy, do you?

The rest of the year is for me to be my miserable old self!
We dress up like spooky ghosts two times a year. Halloween and Christmas.

It's mummers.

Basically in the old days you'd dress up weird and go door to door. The home owners would invite you in and offer you whiskey or rum and food. They'd carry on with ya and try to guess who each person was. Then you go next door and repeat.

It worked in small communities because Newfoundland is littered with small places with only a few hundred people (some even less than a few dozen), so everyone knew everyone, and if they didn't, they'd ask "whose fadder is yours" or something.

It doesn't happen much anymore. St John's is too big and try showing up to a strangers house nowadays dressed as pic above. Yeah, it wouldn't go over so well. Only times it really happens these days is either Christmas parades, or if a family dresses up for an older relative who misses the simpler times.

edit: Oh, and a bunch of Newfoundlanders dressed up as mummers while voting in the last federal election to troll Stephen Harper since he said those things about muslims and how they dressed.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Just checked, and not included with Prime, so you'll need to fork over some monies to watch it. I've seriously considered getting HBO Go, if at least for that first free month, and binge the fucking hell out of GoT just so I can see what all the hubbub is about.
I haven't watched it either.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Just checked, and not included with Prime, so you'll need to fork over some monies to watch it. I've seriously considered getting HBO Go, if at least for that first free month, and binge the fucking hell out of GoT just so I can see what all the hubbub is about.
Hmm, they have a lot of first seasons from HBO shows, strange... Speaking of strange... Seen stranger things yet?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Hmm, they have a lot of first seasons from HBO shows, strange... Speaking of strange... Seen stranger things yet?
Not yet, but it's on my list of shows to watch. For whatever reason, I've started rewatching How I Met Your Mother. Guess I need something to pass the time. :mfacepalm:

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Fun start to the new year:
I was riding with my friend Dennis today. He just bought a brand new car on December 23rd and wanted to show it to me. After lunch, he was taking me home, we're about one block away from where I live, and out of nowhere...
a guy t-boned Dennis's car!

Totally that guy's fault. Was looking at his phone as he pulled out from a parking lot into the road and right into us.

Way too late, we saw the car coming right at us. Like it was in slow motion. Dennis swerved to the right to give the guy room to break or steer away, but since he wasn't looking, he kept coming and accelerating right into us.

We're both mostly okay. Really sore and in pain. Went to doctor, he said all looked okay other than neck and back in severe spasms. Gave me anti-inflammatory meds to take at night.

So, yay.
Man, I'm glad you guys are (mostly) ok! Those anti-inflammatory meds do work quite a bit but are pretty sneaky about it. I would suggest lots of stretching while taking them. Hopefully the guy that hit y'all has good insurance.

Shoulder

Just saw my boss playing Super Mario Run.... since I'm an Android user, i'm a bit jealous.
Well as of yesterday, you can get registered for the game, so when it does release, you'll get a notification. So I would imagine the Andoid release is not far off. Best bet, it'll launch at or just before the Jan 12th presentation.

Socar

Well as of yesterday, you can get registered for the game, so when it does release, you'll get a notification. So I would imagine the Andoid release is not far off. Best bet, it'll launch at or just before the Jan 12th presentation.
Yeah so how do I get registered again? I checked the play store but I can't find it anywhere...

Socar

That I can't say as I don't have Android. I only saw a few articles after a quick google search that you could do that though.
I got the registration done thanks for that!

Ok so I haven't gotten the game yet since I'm an Android User but I did play it from some friends of mine and I saw some footage so I'm going to defend the game here. Others can join if they want to.

The first problem people complain is that it requires internet to play the game. Now I would agree with this statement except that there's just one problem. There are so many hotspots that are free and almost anywhere you go has a hotspot.

Sure, the internet lag speed might cause some frustration but in that case, just get better speed. If using highspeed internet is required to play multiplayer online games so will be the case for this game.

Also, I don't recall how many smartphone games don't require internet here and there as you almost need it in some fashion.

The second problem and I think this is the only problem is that the game is too expensive for a phone game?

Ok, let me just say that that statement there is a load of crap and its clear that many reviewers are such hypocrites.

First off, there are so many games on the phone that are on par with SMR's price or are more expensive than that game.

Square Enix is a good example for this as a lot of their games are ridiculously expensive even their ports of existing games. It also doesn't help that most of their ports are terrible.

And no they aren't the only ones here. Disney also released Where's My Water and it was free and you had to pay like i think 8$ to get the rest of the game.

And in SMR's case, you are getting enough content for 9$ that it really is a shame to criticize the actual game for the price. Since when is the cost of the game part of the game's review?

thats unfortunate, I usually find Ian to be pretty damn smart and well-written in most THINGS (objectsjoke)
Not sure if its the fanboy in me thats causing my disagreement. I think the points he brings up are good, such as the failed supply/demand of NES Classic and the pricing of Super Mario Run, but I find his conclusions to be lofty. The latter he concludes as Nintendo not understanding the market, which I think is wrong. They do, and they want to change it to suit their needs. Maybe $10 is too much (I see people waste so much more on coffee daily so lol fuck off with that), but their goal with Super Mario Run was to get people used to paying a set premium for their games. They might have underestimated how cheap the market is and how ok mobile users are with getting fleeced.
Bogost also falls prey to the dumb "Pokemon Go is over" line of thinking. Just because its not a zeitgeist anymore doesnt make it any less successful now, its still top grossing.

I got the registration done thanks for that!

Ok so I haven't gotten the game yet since I'm an Android User but I did play it from some friends of mine and I saw some footage so I'm going to defend the game here. Others can join if they want to.

The first problem people complain is that it requires internet to play the game. Now I would agree with this statement except that there's just one problem. There are so many hotspots that are free and almost anywhere you go has a hotspot.

Sure, the internet lag speed might cause some frustration but in that case, just get better speed. If using highspeed internet is required to play multiplayer online games so will be the case for this game.

Also, I don't recall how many smartphone games don't require internet here and there as you almost need it in some fashion.

The second problem and I think this is the only problem is that the game is too expensive for a phone game?

Ok, let me just say that that statement there is a load of crap and its clear that many reviewers are such hypocrites.

First off, there are so many games on the phone that are on par with SMR's price or are more expensive than that game.

Square Enix is a good example for this as a lot of their games are ridiculously expensive even their ports of existing games. It also doesn't help that most of their ports are terrible.

And no they aren't the only ones here. Disney also released Where's My Water and it was free and you had to pay like i think 8$ to get the rest of the game.

And in SMR's case, you are getting enough content for 9$ that it really is a shame to criticize the actual game for the price. Since when is the cost of the game part of the game's review?
On the first point, I'm not sure thats quite the issue with the game being always online.
For me, I hate getting my high-speed leeched by apps. Pokemon Go used to be a data-suck until T-Mobile gave us free high-speed for the game. I suspect Mario Run might have similar levels of data-suckage. While yeah, everyone with an iPhone has a data plan and its probably unlimited, high-speed isnt and thats a pain.

Mario Run doesnt stream the game to you, there shouldnt be any lag when you're playing caused by data/wifi

I'm not quite sure how the game works, someone had told me that the initial download is pretty small but the game downloads the levels you select when you choose them. I dont know if it keeps the levels downloaded or if it is auto-deleted for some weird security reason.

Menashe

Hey everyone, happy new year! My new year's resolution: watch a ridiculous amount of TV when I'm bored. Below are my favorites from 2016.

@theMightyME I saw your favorite TV shows of 2016. Let me know your thoughts on mine:

Trollhunters
Stranger Things
Dirk Gently
Westworld
The Detour
Speechless
Vice Presidents
Son of Zorn
Lady Dynamite
60 Days In
Atlanta
Ballers
Preacher
The People vs OJ
Shannara Chronicles
Aijin
Haters Back Off
Crashing
The Get Down
The Crown
The Good Place
The Kettering Incident
The OA

Koenig

The Architect
@theMightyME I saw your favorite TV shows of 2016. Here's mine (let me know your thoughts on them):

Trollhunters
Stranger Things
Dirk Gently
Westworld
The Detour
Speechless
Vice Presidents
Son of Zorn
Lady Dynamite
60 Days In
Atlanta
Ballers
Preacher
The People vs OJ
Shannara Chronicles
Aijin
Haters Back Off
Crashing
The Get Down
The Crown
The Good Place
The Kettering Incident
The OA
Aijin and Shannara Chronicles were interesting shows. I did not the see the rest of that list though.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Hey everyone, happy new year! My new year's resolution: watch a ridiculous amount of TV when I'm bored. Below are my favorites from 2016.

@theMightyME I saw your favorite TV shows of 2016. Let me know your thoughts on mine:

Trollhunters
Stranger Things
Dirk Gently
Westworld
The Detour
Speechless
Vice Presidents
Son of Zorn
Lady Dynamite
60 Days In
Atlanta
Ballers
Preacher
The People vs OJ
Shannara Chronicles
Aijin
Haters Back Off
Crashing
The Get Down
The Crown
The Good Place
The Kettering Incident
The OA
Not gonna lie I haven't heard of any of these.

Shoulder

Forgive me TNE for I have sinned...

I joined Reddit and have been philandering on their boards for a couple weeks. @mattavelle1 , @FriedShoes , and @Shoulder have shown me the light...

View attachment 3290
Now how many Hail Matty's do I have to say?
It could be worse though. You could've been a philanderer on GAF. Talk about sleeping with the enemy, especially one that would have you shot and killed if they knew where you hail from.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It could be worse though. You could've been a philanderer on GAF. Talk about sleeping with the enemy, especially one that would have you shot and killed if they knew where you hail from.
I can see Travis slipping up: "So how do y'all like Minecraft on Wii U?"

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I fell pretty far off the wagon..but not that far.

I can see Travis slipping up: "So how do y'all like Minecraft on Wii U?"
Hahaha... Man, I just can't get into that game.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
finally found my gamepad. it was hidden under a futon at my folk's house. i guess i got drunk playing zelda hd over some holiday.

anyways, looking forward to plugging it back in. there's got to be some nice new games by now. unfortunately i sold all my physical :(

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
finally found my gamepad. it was hidden under a futon at my folk's house. i guess i got drunk playing zelda hd over some holiday.

anyways, looking forward to plugging it back in. there's got to be some nice new games by now. unfortunately i sold all my physical :(
There's not much you probably haven't played. Unless you get splatoon or captain toad.

Somehow I knew it was fried who disagreed with Menashe's list before checking it.

I've only heard of westworld
aha. I'll take any chance to disparage the admin unti I am made co-admin

Also I'm kinda jealous of that list (even if its mostly TRASH), my TV intake this year is so low compared to years before.
And is there a show called Vice Presidents, or did you mean Vice Principals @Menashe ?

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen

Trollhunters - fun, but it has those dreamworks cgi bits that always annoy me, like that 1 stupid expression, and the shitty looking fight scenes... I wish it was more del toro than dreamworks, but I still enjoyed it.

Stranger Things - LOVED IT! I already have like 3 tshirts for it

Dirk Gently - pretty good, a bit like doctor who, with a tiny smidge of sherlock, and a little utopia (the soundtrack) for good measure.

Westworld - great series, started much strogner than it ended, but still a great puzzle to savor from week to week

The Detour - Hilarious, way underrated

Speechless - this one I decided to skip on, can't watch everything, it just isn't possible anymore

Vice Principals - really funny, mcbride annoys me some times, but I adore Walton Goggins, and the 2 playing off of each other was great

Son of Zorn - yeah, I like this one a lot too, kind of dumb, but really funny

Lady Dynamite - only watched a few episodes, haven't watched anymore, from what I have seen there are some clever aspects, but overall it didn't grab me.

60 Days In - interesting premise, but I am not into reality shows

Atlanta - had to give it up for time, it fell to the bottom of my list mostly because the episodes were pretty stand alone... really smart though.

Ballers - never got into it, gave it like 1 episode

Preacher - great show, chaotic, funny, dark, interesting, and Cassidy the Irish Vampire stole the show... the Actor Joe Gilgun is a favorite of mine.

The People vs OJ - everyone seems to love it, I had zero interest after seeing the bad wig on travolta

Shannara Chronicles - for an MTV series with a fantasy premise it is decent, I mainly watch it for Manu Bennet

Aijin - didn't really get into it, falling way behind on my anime too

Haters Back Off - watched some stuff on the youtube channel it is based on, wasn't interested.

Crashing - didn't get the chance to watch it

The Get Down - still early in, but a very interesting series with a very strange tone.

The Crown - like 4 episodes in or something, impeccably acted

The Good Place - hilarious, I love most things Mike Schur touches, parks and recreation, brooklyn nine nine, etc..

The Kettering Incident - haven't gotten to it yet

The OA - really interesting, the ending is divisive, and I still don't know what i think about it, it is also incredibly artsy fartsy lol in its presentation and all, but I kind of dug that.... when she starts telling her story i started getting really into it. The tone just shifted so fast. I mainly dug Jason Isaacs character, the "Angel Hunter"

Socar

Trollhunters - fun, but it has those dreamworks cgi bits that always annoy me, like that 1 stupid expression, and the shitty looking fight scenes... I wish it was more del toro than dreamworks, but I still enjoyed it.
It is from Del Toro.... didn't he like direct this series?

3D In general executes comical expressions poorly and makes 2D animation the more suitable one for comical expressions. It just feels very jarring to see something being tried to look like the ones on 2D when it fails into doing that. The closest that comical expressions match the same as that of 2D is when watching Hotel Translevania but that's just about it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Words cannot describe how furious I am about this. Fuck those people responsible.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/crime/227116738-story
Well, it was only a matter of time. As soon as the "live" button was added to Facebook it was inevitable. But this story is crazy aswell you kidnap a white person because fuk trump............and that person you choose is special needs......and you did it live on Facebook.

There is tons wrong with a lot of this.:mfacepalm:

Shoulder

Well, it was only a matter of time. As soon as the "live" button was added to Facebook it was inevitable. But this story is crazy aswell you kidnap a white person because fuk trump............and that person you choose is special needs......and you did it live on Facebook.

There is tons wrong with a lot of this.:mfacepalm:
On my way to work, I was thinking about the mentality of folks who engage in something like this, and then have the audacity to live video record it, and post it on the web. I feel there's a disconnect between Real-Life, and the Internet. Not saying what happens on the internet isnt part of real-life, but when you factor in how people can roam around the web with anonymity, or they have a "second life" on the web, I wonder if they perceive what they're doing as not wrong because it is on the web. I mean, this sort of torture is nothing new unfortunately, but the idea of thinking, "You know what? Let's torture this kid, fuck white people, and Trump supporters, and lets film this for the whole world to see. Oh, and let's show our faces in the process. That'll show em'."

I get the distinct impression that the people who did this not only felt what they were doing wasn't a bad thing, but that filming it onto the web meant it would be acceptable behavior, given how some people do act on the internet.

So in other words, the folks who did this were likely mentally disturbed themselves. And to top this all off, this is a hate crime through and through. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Not only is their a racial side of it, the mentally and physically handicapped are also a protected class, as per Federal law, so these folks responsible will almost assuredly be charged with a hate crime.

I've already heard folks who think this event was not a hate crime, some even ignorant enough to think that because it was four black kids torturing a white kid, it is not justified as a hate crime. They have got it into their heads that a hate crime is only exclusive to crimes against black people, when in fact it includes all races, classes, and genders. You can't pick and choose that. And had this event been the reverse, four white kids, torturing a disabled black kid, shouting "fuck Hillary, fuck black people," you beat your ass everyone would say it was a hate crime.

It is despicable beyond words.