The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
@simplyTravis

Hey, so just saw your question about how does FFXV and XCX stack up to each other. I don't really know if you can compare the two besides them being open world RPG's.

FFXV's combat is real time with blocks and parries. Upgrading your skills is done through various skill trees like Combat, Teamwork, Magic, etc. The world is tackled differently since you can't moon jump your way up a mountain in FFXV. Your car and choccobo is your best friend for getting places.

Side quests are kinda lame. They're the typical go here kill this, or go here and find this. Surprisingly there is no "find 10 of these random items" though which is nice. There is one guy who'll upgrade certain weapons for a specific object, but that's really it. Item collection is limited to a "I need this type of ore found in this location".

The story does feel like certain things have been cut. It helps to watch the movie and anime which I'm not 100% on board with. I feel a story in a game should have enough info to stand on it's own but I would say the movie is mandatory. I do feel some later bits of the story were also cut or they're saving for dlc. Certain "things" just happen off screen and you're expected to just move on.

I love the game despite some short comings. Rarely do I continue playing after the credits roll but I'm still playing, at level 82 and still have dungeons and super bosses to tackle. I'm taking a bit of a break now but I'll probably pick it up again on my next day off.
I agree completely about the movie and the story. Steve2 and I watched the movie before we played, and I'm glad we did. I think without doing it that it wouldn't feel complete. And I definitely agree that there are certain things, especially near the end that feel cut out and incomplete, like almost head scratching incomplete and jumpy.

I agree completely about the movie and the story. Steve2 and I watched the movie before we played, and I'm glad we did. I think without doing it that it wouldn't feel complete. And I definitely agree that there are certain things, especially near the end that feel cut out and incomplete, like almost head scratching incomplete and jumpy.
Yeah, besides the camera acting drunk sometimes, the rushed plot at the end is my biggest complaint. My friend didn't watch the movie and anime and I had to explain a few things to her. The anime being free on Youtube is...fine I guess, but you have to spend money to watch the movie which isn't as fine.
Like how you just find Ravus dead, or how the emperor is suddenly a monster and the empire just falls apart on it's own. There is a patch coming out to flesh out Ravus I believe, but I don't know how much more story the patch and DLC will add to it. I really want some story elements fleshed out cause I enjoy what's there.

I was also a bit disappointed in the final boss. No transformation like most FF final bosses and he was really easy. Still, I did enjoy Ardyn on the whole. It was a refreshing take on trope of wanting to take over the world.

sjmartin79

@CitizenOfVerona - Yep, agree on all. They definitely need some DLC to fill in plot holes. I told Steve2 that if felt like the game was 90% there, and they weren't going to make release if they finished the story parts 100%, so they just left out things that wouldn't break the game and plan to add it in at a later date so they could hit the Holiday release for sales.

It seems to me that the old director Nomura was dragging his feet for 6/7 years, then the new director Tabata came in and had to finish it. I heard Tabata basically started from zero again keeping some concepts and plot points but making it his own game. I imagine if the game wasn't in development hell for 6ish years, perhaps Tabata could have had more time to get that extra 10% but I imagine the publisher was getting annoyed.

I also heard that this game was suppose to be a series with multiple games that had to be paired down to just 1. That meant some times had to hit the cutting room floor. Then again this is the internet so who knows what exactly is true and false.

I would love to see a Unseen64 episode on this game. If you haven't seen it it's a guy who documents cancelled games and gets information from the developers themselves. Granted I know FFXV isn't cancelled but I would love to see/read all the info about it's development

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I will literally get home from work right after the presentation ends, so I'll have to wait to squee with ya'll until I finish watching the replay.

Like how you just find Ravus dead, or how the emperor is suddenly a monster and the empire just falls apart on it's own. There is a patch coming out to flesh out Ravus I believe, but I don't know how much more story the patch and DLC will add to it. I really want some story elements fleshed out cause I enjoy what's there.

I was also a bit disappointed in the final boss. No transformation like most FF final bosses and he was really easy. Still, I did enjoy Ardyn on the whole. It was a refreshing take on trope of wanting to take over the world.
Most of the stuff that happens to the Empire is expounded upon in the little log book entries that are strewn throughout chapter 13 (the solo chapter with Noctis, his ring, and those wild and crazy MT's) - Noctis even comments about it after reading some of them.

I'm okay with the set up - arriving at the evil empire only to discover it's been ravaged by the thing it had been exploiting to conquer the world - but I think it would've been better if the log entries were audio ones that had played while Noctis was sneaking around.

praisegrima

I will literally get home from work right after the presentation ends, so I'll have to wait to squee with ya'll until I finish watching the replay.

Most of the stuff that happens to the Empire is expounded upon in the little log book entries that are strewn throughout chapter 13 (the solo chapter with Noctis, his ring, and those wild and crazy MT's) - Noctis even comments about it after reading some of them.

I'm okay with the set up - arriving at the evil empire only to discover it's been ravaged by the thing it had been exploiting to conquer the world - but I think it would've been better if the log entries were audio ones that had played while Noctis was sneaking around.

praisegrima
Yeah, I did read those. I too like the idea of coming to this land and already finding the shit has hit the fan. But it still felt weak and rushed. I mean, notes? Really? This is the big climax and I just read a few notes? Wasn't too fond of that.

I do laugh looking back when you fight that monster and someone says "oh that's the emperor let's kill him". How did he know that and it was unceremonious

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Yeah, I did read those. I too like the idea of coming to this land and already finding the shit has hit the fan. But it still felt weak and rushed. I mean, notes? Really? This is the big climax and I just read a few notes? Wasn't too fond of that.

I do laugh looking back when you fight that monster and someone says "oh that's the emperor let's kill him". How did he know that and it was unceremonious
Yeah, audio logs that played automatically in combination with a researcher who confesses to what the empire did right before becoming a Daemon themself would've been a bit better way of conveying that information.

To be fair, the creature does talk with what I'm assuming is the same voice of the emperor and it's obsessed with the crystal so I can see how they came to that conclusion after learning about the origins of Daemons.
grimabepraised

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
IM AT HOME MY PEOPLES!!! IM READY FOR THIS SWITCH EVENT!!!

(not really tho I still have to get the boys, get the oldest to Kempo, get myself and my youngest showers, pick up the oldest, *first time havin fast food this year* grab some pizzas, go take 1 pizza to a friends house, come home and eat, get the boys ready for bed later on, THEN ILL BE READY!!!)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
IM AT HOME MY PEOPLES!!! IM READY FOR THIS SWITCH EVENT!!!

(not really tho I still have to get the boys, get the oldest to Kempo, get myself and my youngest showers, pick up the oldest, *first time havin fast food this year* grab some pizzas, go take 1 pizza to a friends house, come home and eat, get the boys ready for bed later on, THEN ILL BE READY!!!)
No. You ask your friend that if he wants his pizza, he's going to have to come, and pick it up himself. You are not leaving the damn house under any circumstances, Mr. Mattavelle. Taking a pizza to a friend's house. What sort of society are we living in where we deliver food to our friends? You make me sick...

...think you could deliver that pizza to me instead? I promise to be good. It's true! Five stars!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
No. You ask your friend that if he wants his pizza, he's going to have to come, and pick it up himself. You are not leaving the damn house under any circumstances, Mr. Mattavelle. Taking a pizza to a friend's house. What sort of society are we living in where we deliver food to our friends? You make me sick...

...think you could deliver that pizza to me instead? I promise to be good. It's true! Five stars!
His wife just had a procedure done. I thought takin them a pizza would be a good gesture

sjmartin79

Steve2 and I bought a lot of 2 player board games for Christmas for ourselves. We've been playing a lot of "Net Runner". It's a living card game.
I've never played a LCG before, but we're having a lot of fun. So many rules, but once you get it (Thank you YouTube), it has so much depth and enjoyment. The same company makes a Game of Thrones LCG as well. We may get that as well.

I got back from my ski-trip at my brothers last night.

I am still very much an amateur when it comes to skiing, but my room-mate and brother assured me that these were the best ski conditions they have ever been in; several feet of snow with a fresh layer of powder, no wind, and a suprisingly warm 31 degrees (F). Better yet, I only double ejected from ski's once!

We also watched a couple of movies, which meant I saw "Battleship" for the first time. It is a really, really, REALLY dumb movie, but I had fun watching it.

And then the bus ride...What can I say? 15 hours I will never get back.

I got back about Midnight last night, and scraped together what was left of my conscious mind to examine the new switch info. Now I need to do so fully awake!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I got back from my ski-trip at my brothers last night.

I am still very much an amateur when it comes to skiing, but my room-mate and brother assured me that these were the best ski conditions they have ever been in; several feet of snow with a fresh layer of powder, no wind, and a suprisingly warm 31 degrees (F). Better yet, I only double ejected from ski's once!

We also watched a couple of movies, which meant I saw "Battleship" for the first time. It is a really, really, REALLY dumb movie, but I had fun watching it.

And then the bus ride...What can I say? 15 hours I will never get back.

I got back about Midnight last night, and scraped together what was left of my conscious mind to examine the new switch info. Now I need to do so fully awake!
Glad your safe and had a great trip Koenig. Nice to have you back :msrs:

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
I do love this. To bad we didn't see anything and the translator was just outta kindergarten :mfacepalm:
tbf, Grasshopper sounds like he talks some form of slang. Judging from the translator's tone of voice, it caught him completely by surprise and then proceeded to probably some of the worst minutes of his life. If you listen carefully to the other translators during the stream, you'd also realise they somehow knew what was gonna be said before a legible japanese phrase or sentence was completed. Coming from my ongoing entry level studies, it's not easy to know what's gonna be said in Japanese right away since it has some odd subject - verb placement.

I've heard a few people on the Net suggest the translations were scripted. Dat poor translator just had the misfortune of being Suda'd. It was made even worse when Bill had no trouble translating from English.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Hopefully it is also better than the Wii U. I don't know why, but the Wii U seemed to have particularly bad Wifi. Mine has dropped connections and ran into connection issues exponentially more than my Wii ever did.
This has been a real issue. I remember at launch people basically havin to put the WiiU on top of the router. The WiiU is shit on WiiU so much so I had to run a hardline which I'm in love with.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@Koenig @Karkashan The Switch will support the 802.11ac standard, which means that it can use 5 Ghz wi-fi channels in addition to 2.4 Ghz channels. Older systems used the 2.4 Ghz channels only if I'm not mistaken, which not only are limited to slower download speeds, but are also crowded by many other devices that can cause interference with your system, especially if you live in an urban area. Even the og PS4 was limited to the 2.4 Ghz channels, which may be why Street Fighter V has so many laggy players online. The only disadvantage of 5 Ghz channels is less range from your router to your Switch, but it should still cover your living room (assuming that's where the router is) and any adjacent rooms.

Source: http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-5ghz-wifi-bluetooth/

@Koenig @Karkashan The Switch will support the 802.11ac standard, which means that it can use 5 Ghz wi-fi channels in addition to 2.4 Ghz channels. Older systems used the 2.4 Ghz channels only if I'm not mistaken, which not only are limited to slower download speeds, but are also crowded by many other devices that can cause interference with your system, especially if you live in an urban area. Even the og PS4 was limited to the 2.4 Ghz channels, which may be why Street Fighter V has so many laggy players online. The only disadvantage of 5 Ghz channels is less range from your router to your Switch, but it should still cover your living room (assuming that's where the router is) and any adjacent rooms.

Source: http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-5ghz-wifi-bluetooth/
How much of a range difference are we talking about when comparing the 2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz? My router is not too far from my living room, but it is a couple rooms over.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
How much of a range difference are we talking about when comparing the 2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz? My router is not too far from my living room, but it is a couple rooms over.
If you were in an open field, the range would be 90ft to 45ft according to some random post I saw somewhere I don't remember. But the moment you introduce walls it starts getting all screwed up. Right now I'm on my phone two doors and about 5 meters away from my router and it works perfectly, but any further and I start having problems unless i switch to the 2.4 Ghz frequency. But these walls are also cinder and very thick, so it could be different with thinner, wooden walls.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
If you were in an open field, the range would be 90ft to 45ft according to some random post I saw somewhere I don't remember. But the moment you introduce walls it starts getting all screwed up. Right now I'm on my phone two doors and about 5 meters away from my router and it works perfectly, but any further and I start having problems unless i switch to the 2.4 Ghz frequency. But these walls are also cinder and very thick, so it could be different with thinner, wooden walls.
Higher frequencies tend to penetrate less well than lower frequencies as well, so 2.4 is preferable in some scenarios.

I think for most situations, either tends to be fine. I stick with 5 because my microwave is between my router and my various devices.

Really excited for Mario Odyssey. It is so nice to see an open(ish) world Mario again. I am a little concerned about the art direction for some of the locations, but as a whole I am very optimistic about the game.

Really excited for Mario Odyssey. It is so nice to see an open(ish) world Mario again. I am a little concerned about the art direction for some of the locations, but as a whole I am very optimistic about the game.
Hold your breath.
Something deceptive about this game, I suspect its more closer to Galaxy, than most suspect

not surprising, the moment miyamoto himself copied kamiyas "thumbs down then thumbs up" gesture i knew that prophecized the coming wonderful 102, bayonetta 3, 4 and 5. it was written in the pearly knuckles of miyamoto right there as it happened.
I didnt recognize that until I saw the gif.

They are on the 3rd party partner list still, gotta beleeeeve.

@Karkashan

Youtube informed me that you're playing Doom 3 now. Is this your first time through or not? If not I'm interested in your opinion on it. I picked it up on the last Steam sale but played through Wolfenstein first.

edit: watching your playthrough now, but part 1 so far is just bumming around the station and talking to people