The Great CT - Community Thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Adding to that though, there is a bit of difference in lighting and how far textures show up in the distance. Also, more clear textures (most likely thanks to more RAM.) I noticed in a lot of videos there were also more instances of lights reflecting on textures inside caves when a light source was apparent.
I think the switch version runs a slightly more stable 30fps, atleast compared to the e3 build... And the switch version also seems to have better draw distance, less pop in... Again... Compared to the e3 build

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
I think the switch version runs a slightly more stable 30fps, atleast compared to the e3 build... And the switch version also seems to have better draw distance, less pop in... Again... Compared to the e3 build
Yeah, with the most recent Wii U footage, the frame-rate dips during certain events. On what we've seen of the Switch version thus far, the framerate seems steady for the most part.

Socar

I'm sick and tired of how 3D CGI films are more on the slapstick side than on the story side of things...are we ever going to see animated films or shows that actually put effort into story writing?

Socar

I just want to say...this is the best community ever.

I mean, by my attitude, I should have been banned by now but instead, you guys understand me(well...atleast most of you) and didn't really do that much to warn me or something unlike other forums that do.

I think other forum sites should learn from TNE in general...I mean, its not like strict rules are going to make the forum a better site.

Socar

That being said, I just want to defend Nintendo just for the fun of it and the sake of it.

Now people tend to complain that Nintendo needs to get into the times and has not done so as of now....

ok a couple of things to say here.

1. Nintendo NOW has been into the times. They are releasing mobile games using their own IP so that's a start whether its a good or a bad thing.

2. They just provided a paid online service which is bound to do better than what the previous consoles offered.

3. And now, Third parties are getting close to Nintendo(although this has always happened in the handheld side of things.)

Then there's the complain that Nintendo needs to focus on its hardcore gamers....to that I say, what hardcore? The ones who are hardcore have left Nintendo long back and don't seem to ever want to come back to Nintendo ever again not even the slightest. For crying out loud, these people have ranted so much on Federation Force without even playing the game.

The hardcore fans that Nintendo has supposedly have are as follows:

1. Star Fox Fans
2. F-Zero Fans
3. Metroid Fans
4. Advance Wars

These fans have probably lost faith in Nintendo that they just left Nintendo and I don't blame them. But the IPs mentioned have sold poorly that even if Nintendo wanted to bring one of them back, its going to take a miracle to make it big like how Fire Emblem ended up being and that one was on its way to death itself.

Yet that hardcore term seems to me like nothing when you have fans of these other IPs.

1. Mario
2. Kirby
3. Pokemon
4. Fire Emblem
5. Donkey Kong
6. Zelda

And Nintendo for the most part has served these fans well enough that the IPs are at safe hands....that is when it comes to the next argument

Nintendo ought to stop messing with the IPs- Ok, this I've read constantly and I'm quite sick of it honestly.

The most common one is the Paper Mario RPGs not having a story and not having a proper RPG battle system.

Now I will say that I am a HUGE fan of Paper Mario and with the exception of Color Splash, I've played all of them and I will say that I agree that Sticker Star is the blacksheep of the series not because of its bland story but because of it being frustratingly repetitive and pointless.

That said, I can also understand why Nintendo decided this for future paper mario games.

First of the games before sticker star have sold poorly even the Wii one also did poorly. But sticker star somehow managed to sell like one and a half million and I shrug to admit that....but numbers explain why Nintendo wants to go to this route for Paper Mario. Atleast I'm thankful that Mario and Luigi isn't that screwed up...I hope.

But with color splash improving over sticker star, I just fail to see why people can't accept this new trend. Mario games were never intended to have well written stories and they were never intended to even have that even happen. its not like Nintendo even thought of wanting to do that trend even cause they could have just made the series light hearted at the start itself and it still wouldn't do so well.

When you compare Paper Mario and M&L series, Paper Mario isn't as innovative as M&L. What you're asking Nintendo to do is to make Paper Mario like thousand year door, have a partner system back and just stick to that with a story with charming characters.....yeah ok. But do you think it will do good for the series? Do you think it will sell well? Not everyone is going to get into Paper Mario.

So here's what I suggest, if you simply don't like the trend of things Nintendo does, then just stay out of it and move on, simple as that. I got screwed up by SEGA not doing Sonic properly and you don't see me bicker too much about it.

I understand that concerns are always going to be there but there should be a limit as to how long it should be there. Are you guys seriously hoping for a new F-Zero game to show up at this point because if that is the case, I seriously hope that you don't hope for that long because that will never happen and even if it somehow does happen, it might not end up so good to you in the end...Cough....Star Fox Zero...cough.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I just want to say...this is the best community ever.

I mean, by my attitude, I should have been banned by now but instead, you guys understand me(well...atleast most of you) and didn't really do that much to warn me or something unlike other forums that do.

I think other forum sites should learn from TNE in general...I mean, its not like strict rules are going to make the forum a better site.
For me this always means the most. We have always been about given people there own voice, and even if it takes a min for them to find it. Normally in the end there more thankful for our style.

For me I haven't paid your post much mind, and I don't mean that in a negative way........I mean that in it took you a minute to figure this place is different in the way forums are managed and ran and sometimes that's a shock for many people. But you hung in there and some of our members have helped with advise and whatnot and here you are. Another great addition to this community IMO.

All in all thank you for the encouragement and kind words because there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes for our community. And feedback like this makes all that work worth it.

Glad your enjoying TNE Socar :mthumb:

Everyone has their own ideas what Nintendo should do with their properties and some people just hate change when Nintendo makes a winning formula.

I'm a huge fan of Star Fox 64 and wanted a new arwing focused game for awhile, but I tried the demo for Zero, gave it an honest try but I just could not get into the controls. I'm also a huge fan of Metroid in general, but I still bought Federation Force and played it with two good friends, and I had a good time overall. Sure it's different and some levels can suck shit through a straw, but at the end of the day I had fun and that's what most important to me.

Maybe I'm too simple for my own good, but that's what I mostly look for, just to have a good time. I'll admit, I would love if Nintendo made another 'proper' Metroid, or ported Star Fox Zero to Switch with traditional controls, but I also believe people don't know what they want. If you ask someone what they want, they'll say the same thing they already have. Changes and unique ideas can be amazing too but it's easy to write it off at a glance. I was hesitant in trying Wonderful 101 but Matt convinced me after and now it's one of my favorite Wii U games.

End of the day though everyone is free to make their own opinions on the games Nintendo makes. The people who makes those petitions to cancel Metroid or Paper Mario games can also suck shit because that's being laughably entitled. Are they wrong for being disappointed? Not at all, but that's going too far imo.

Games are fun, I like fun. As long as Ninty keeps making fun shit I'll keep (eventually) buying their systems and games. Most people here know full well how annoyed I can be with Ninty, but that's mostly their business practices and not their games. My decent size library of Wii/U/3DS games will attest to that.

Nah, my ass ain't that nice.
Dont worry, I'm not impressed.

That being said, I just want to defend Nintendo just for the fun of it and the sake of it.

Now people tend to complain that Nintendo needs to get into the times and has not done so as of now....

ok a couple of things to say here.

1. Nintendo NOW has been into the times. They are releasing mobile games using their own IP so that's a start whether its a good or a bad thing.

2. They just provided a paid online service which is bound to do better than what the previous consoles offered.

3. And now, Third parties are getting close to Nintendo(although this has always happened in the handheld side of things.)

Then there's the complain that Nintendo needs to focus on its hardcore gamers....to that I say, what hardcore? The ones who are hardcore have left Nintendo long back and don't seem to ever want to come back to Nintendo ever again not even the slightest. For crying out loud, these people have ranted so much on Federation Force without even playing the game.

The hardcore fans that Nintendo has supposedly have are as follows:

1. Star Fox Fans
2. F-Zero Fans
3. Metroid Fans
4. Advance Wars

These fans have probably lost faith in Nintendo that they just left Nintendo and I don't blame them. But the IPs mentioned have sold poorly that even if Nintendo wanted to bring one of them back, its going to take a miracle to make it big like how Fire Emblem ended up being and that one was on its way to death itself.

Yet that hardcore term seems to me like nothing when you have fans of these other IPs.

1. Mario
2. Kirby
3. Pokemon
4. Fire Emblem
5. Donkey Kong
6. Zelda

And Nintendo for the most part has served these fans well enough that the IPs are at safe hands....that is when it comes to the next argument

Nintendo ought to stop messing with the IPs- Ok, this I've read constantly and I'm quite sick of it honestly.

The most common one is the Paper Mario RPGs not having a story and not having a proper RPG battle system.

Now I will say that I am a HUGE fan of Paper Mario and with the exception of Color Splash, I've played all of them and I will say that I agree that Sticker Star is the blacksheep of the series not because of its bland story but because of it being frustratingly repetitive and pointless.

That said, I can also understand why Nintendo decided this for future paper mario games.

First of the games before sticker star have sold poorly even the Wii one also did poorly. But sticker star somehow managed to sell like one and a half million and I shrug to admit that....but numbers explain why Nintendo wants to go to this route for Paper Mario. Atleast I'm thankful that Mario and Luigi isn't that screwed up...I hope.

But with color splash improving over sticker star, I just fail to see why people can't accept this new trend. Mario games were never intended to have well written stories and they were never intended to even have that even happen. its not like Nintendo even thought of wanting to do that trend even cause they could have just made the series light hearted at the start itself and it still wouldn't do so well.

When you compare Paper Mario and M&L series, Paper Mario isn't as innovative as M&L. What you're asking Nintendo to do is to make Paper Mario like thousand year door, have a partner system back and just stick to that with a story with charming characters.....yeah ok. But do you think it will do good for the series? Do you think it will sell well? Not everyone is going to get into Paper Mario.

So here's what I suggest, if you simply don't like the trend of things Nintendo does, then just stay out of it and move on, simple as that. I got screwed up by SEGA not doing Sonic properly and you don't see me bicker too much about it.

I understand that concerns are always going to be there but there should be a limit as to how long it should be there. Are you guys seriously hoping for a new F-Zero game to show up at this point because if that is the case, I seriously hope that you don't hope for that long because that will never happen and even if it somehow does happen, it might not end up so good to you in the end...Cough....Star Fox Zero...cough.
1. ok
2. we'll see
3. maybe. For many of us here its easy to hope that Japanese third parties and indies will support Nintendo readily. However, when the media talks about lack of third party support they usually mean lack of western 3rd party support. Big AAA games like GTAV or Destiny. That's more likely to not happen at all this generation. From my perspective at least, we'll see.

I dont see a problem with Nintendo focusing on their "hardcore" fans, its not an argument I've personally made though. What Nintendo should be doing is taking advantage of the full breadth of their IP library. That means essentially pleasing these niche fanpockets they have created through games like Starfox, Advance Wars or F-Zero.

Lets face it a little, as much as I love Mario, a Nintendo that only offers me Mario is dull. It sounds like that's the reality you are proposing, and its one I have to reject. Their console needs variety, even if those games don't sell well. Nintendo is not averse to risks. Take a look at Awakening or Splatoon or Arms. Look at the decisions they've made with their consoles and handhelds, these are not safe choices, they are risks. Its not difficult to see why some complain about them not making another F-Zero or a "true" Metroid game, because comparatively those are safer moves. Nintendo is forced to walk a tightrope by the media though. They have to constantly create new IPs because they are unfairly said to be relying on their bread and butter franchises. At the same time, you have a fanbase who wants more of that bread and butter on top of returns to older franchises. I dont think Nintendo is big enough for all of this, so sacrifices are made and I don't entirely blame them for neglecting forgotten franchises.

As for not messing with the IPs, I don't mind this so much.
However, you bring up Paper Mario as an example so I'll cherrypick out some counters to your argument.
Sticker Star is not the best selling Paper Mario game, Super Paper Mario is.
That being said, those games did sell poorly, on a ratio-level, compared to older titles. On 1/3rd the 3DS install base, Thousand Year Door is only under a few thousand copies sold from Sticker Star.
Color Splash will undoubtedly be the worst selling game in the franchise
So numbers obviously arent the reason Nintendo did what they did to Paper Mario.

"Mario games were never intended to have well-written stories". But Paper Mario games were, you cant honestly say they stumbled into all that good writing in the first 2, arguably 3, games and into much of Color Splash.

I don't know what Mario and Luigi innovates over Paper Mario, they both (used) to offer fairly similar RPG mechanics. If there was any innovation in Mario and Luigi, its likely because Paper Mario stopped being Paper Mario 2 games in. Do I think it will do good for the series? Yes, reviews will be better, word of mouth will be better, and these recent 2 diversions from that formula have utterly failed. There's little downside to going back to what was working at this point.
"Not everyone is going to get into Paper Mario". Of course not, what's your point? Is everyone getting into what they're doing now? Obviously not.

Why would I move on? I know they can do what I like and they can do what I like better. It's mostly internalized disappointment for me, however. For the most part I'm ok with the diversions they make with their franchises, but for when I don't then I should be allowed to complain a little. I'm an American though, so that may be why. I'm not a "If you don't love it, leave it!" type, I'm more of "If you don't love it, VOTE!" type.

I will continue to long for a Nintendo that offers everything under their belt, even if its not exactly what I want.
I want at least the option to complain, not hope.

Socar

I dont see a problem with Nintendo focusing on their "hardcore" fans, its not an argument I've personally made though. What Nintendo should be doing is taking advantage of the full breadth of their IP library. That means essentially pleasing these niche fanpockets they have created through games like Starfox, Advance Wars or F-Zero.

Lets face it a little, as much as I love Mario, a Nintendo that only offers me Mario is dull. It sounds like that's the reality you are proposing, and its one I have to reject. Their console needs variety, even if those games don't sell well. Nintendo is not averse to risks. Take a look at Awakening or Splatoon or Arms. Look at the decisions they've made with their consoles and handhelds, these are not safe choices, they are risks. Its not difficult to see why some complain about them not making another F-Zero or a "true" Metroid game, because comparatively those are safer moves.
Metroid and F-Zero are not safe bets as they sell poorly. F-Zero went into a lot of marketing that it didn't do enough justice for the sales department and the same goes for Metroid. I'm not sure if Metroid is gonna be dead because Nintendo seems to hint to us that Metroid might be on the Switch but who knows?

I do agree that they take risks and that IPs like Fire Emblem and Splatoon are very risky. I'm trying to say that Nintendo will only expand the IPs that have a HUGE following rather than the ones that don't. The only reason why Fire Emblem is doing good now is because it now has a huge fanbase comparing it.

Also to note, Nintendo wants to make an IP that anyone can play not only sticking to diehard fans of the series. Fire Emblem is the perfect example of this. Before Awakening, Fire Emblem was mercilessly difficult (except for maybe Blazing Sword and New Mystery of the Emblem) and only appealed to those that are die hard fans and yet despite the games being that good, they bombed so hard that Nintendo threatened IS that if Awakening sold poorly, the series would end. Awakening appealed to both new and old fans and that alone is what made FE bigger than it was back then.

I swear that TNE wouldn't have made a Fire Emblem thread if FE was on the level of having a niche audience. This is what happened to Advance Wars as all of those games sold poorly that I don't blame Nintendo for not focusing on them long enough.

As for not messing with the IPs, I don't mind this so much.
However, you bring up Paper Mario as an example so I'll cherrypick out some counters to your argument.
Sticker Star is not the best selling Paper Mario game, Super Paper Mario is.
That being said, those games did sell poorly, on a ratio-level, compared to older titles. On 1/3rd the 3DS install base, Thousand Year Door is only under a few thousand copies sold from Sticker Star.
Color Splash will undoubtedly be the worst selling game in the franchise
So numbers obviously arent the reason Nintendo did what they did to Paper Mario.

"Mario games were never intended to have well-written stories". But Paper Mario games were, you cant honestly say they stumbled into all that good writing in the first 2, arguably 3, games and into much of Color Splash.

I don't know what Mario and Luigi innovates over Paper Mario, they both (used) to offer fairly similar RPG mechanics. If there was any innovation in Mario and Luigi, its likely because Paper Mario stopped being Paper Mario 2 games in. Do I think it will do good for the series? Yes, reviews will be better, word of mouth will be better, and these recent 2 diversions from that formula have utterly failed. There's little downside to going back to what was working at this point.
Ok so Super Paper Mario sold the best out of all of them but that still doesn't change the fact that Sticker star still sold well enough. As for the stories, I'll admit that thousand year door had a great story and it was very deep but by saying that, the previous one didn't have much of plot so I'm assuming that they just wanted to do something different. And Nintendo usually doesn't focus too much on stories so this just happens to be of sheer luck that it happened.

Also, the staff at Nintendo constantly changes and as of now, no one in Nintendo has any interest into making Paper Mario of what it used to be.

Paper Mario's lack of story has nothing to do with Miyamoto-san's suggestion either as the staff could either take it or leave it. So the "Miyamoto" blame is also obnoxious as well.

And no...M&L is very unique compared to Paper Mario. Look at Bowser's inside story alone which sold like big and its a very creative game compared to Super Paper Mario. I say that M&L isn't really that screwed up so the Mario RPG fans should be pleased at that.

Color Splash sold poorly because it was on the worst selling console. Had it been on the 3DS, it would have sold better.

Why would I move on? I know they can do what I like and they can do what I like better. It's mostly internalized disappointment for me, however. For the most part I'm ok with the diversions they make with their franchises, but for when I don't then I should be allowed to complain a little. I'm an American though, so that may be why. I'm not a "If you don't love it, leave it!" type, I'm more of "If you don't love it, VOTE!" type.

I will continue to long for a Nintendo that offers everything under their belt, even if its not exactly what I want.
I want at least the option to complain, not hope.
Because if you keep having faith in something that is through a mere luck, you will just keep complaning about it and never leaving Nintendo on its own world because the only way Nintendo can be better is Nintendo being on its own.

Socar

Ok can anyone help me here?

I want to add 10$ to my 3DS funds but I'm not from US but my Bro's there. Is there a site where he can buy an eshop card digitally and that he can copy and that he can get the code through online?

The reason for this is that I used star points to get a discount for Earthbound and...I'm stupid to not realize that it is only for a temporary time....

Metroid and F-Zero are not safe bets as they sell poorly. F-Zero went into a lot of marketing that it didn't do enough justice for the sales department and the same goes for Metroid. I'm not sure if Metroid is gonna be dead because Nintendo seems to hint to us that Metroid might be on the Switch but who knows?

I do agree that they take risks and that IPs like Fire Emblem and Splatoon are very risky. I'm trying to say that Nintendo will only expand the IPs that have a HUGE following rather than the ones that don't. The only reason why Fire Emblem is doing good now is because it now has a huge fanbase comparing it.
Yeah, now. I don't know why the same can't happen for F-Zero. And you can't really say its because F-Zero is niche; a heavily anime-influenced Strategy RPG is way more niche than a futuristic racing game.
Fire Emblem was doing terribly enough that it also shouldnt have gotten a second or in reality third chance as it did if the sales department had their way. Under your presumption, at least. I don't know if F-Zero ever got a hard marketing push, I'm gonna bite and say probably not considering the most well-known game of the lot, GX, wasn't even an inhouse production, it was outsourced.

Also to note, Nintendo wants to make an IP that anyone can play not only sticking to diehard fans of the series. Fire Emblem is the perfect example of this. Before Awakening, Fire Emblem was mercilessly difficult (except for maybe Blazing Sword and New Mystery of the Emblem) and only appealed to those that are die hard fans and yet despite the games being that good, they bombed so hard that Nintendo threatened IS that if Awakening sold poorly, the series would end. Awakening appealed to both new and old fans and that alone is what made FE bigger than it was back then.
I'll take your word for it, I haven't played much of the older games. SRPGs in it of themselves are incredibly niche genre. If difficulty was what was holding people back from playing Fire Emblem, than New Mystery of the Emblem would have sold Awakening levels as well. But it didnt. If it was a lack of a consumer base, well DS was one of the best selling systems of all time, handheld or console, so it obviously wasn't that. Its hard to pin down why Awakening was a smash success, but I've got to say its probably the marriage stuff.

I swear that TNE wouldn't have made a Fire Emblem thread if FE was on the level of having a niche audience. This is what happened to Advance Wars as all of those games sold poorly that I don't blame Nintendo for not focusing on them long enough.
Possibly. Advance Wars is niche only because it is an SRPG. It only has casual mode, iirc, so difficulty is not really an issue there. The games sold poorly so they're dead, fine, but it does not mean Nintendo drops them from existence. Look at Fire Emblem, again, for proof.

Ok so Super Paper Mario sold the best out of all of them but that still doesn't change the fact that Sticker star still sold well enough. As for the stories, I'll admit that thousand year door had a great story and it was very deep but by saying that, the previous one didn't have much of plot so I'm assuming that they just wanted to do something different. And Nintendo usually doesn't focus too much on stories so this just happens to be of sheer luck that it happened.
Well enough? Hell no, on a console with over 60 million users it only sold around 2 million? That is not impressive, especially when you see that it sold just as much on the Gamecube, a console with only 20 million users. Thousand Year Door was a sales upswing for Nintendo, things were trending positively saleswise because what they were doing was working. And they changed it for no reason. At least a reason not directly related to sales. "They wanted to do something different" fine, but don't tell me its because of sales.
It wasn't sheer luck, you plan out RPG stories, c'mon.
Also, the staff at Nintendo constantly changes and as of now, no one in Nintendo has any interest into making Paper Mario of what it used to be.
Nice assumption, do you know someone that works at Nintendo?

Paper Mario's lack of story has nothing to do with Miyamoto-san's suggestion either as the staff could either take it or leave it. So the "Miyamoto" blame is also obnoxious as well.
I never said that

And no...M&L is very unique compared to Paper Mario. Look at Bowser's inside story alone which sold like big and its a very creative game compared to Super Paper Mario. I say that M&L isn't really that screwed up so the Mario RPG fans should be pleased at that.
One, you're comparing an RPG to a platformer in this example. Super Paper Mario at this point lost its RPG roots. That being said, I think its egregious to say that BiS is more creative compared to SPM, but thats personal opinion, not fact.
I think Paper Mario went the way it did because Nintendo very much believes, the way you do, that one Mario RPG is enough. I mean I guess, but they haven't been doing much with since that division.

Color Splash sold poorly because it was on the worst selling console. Had it been on the 3DS, it would have sold better.
Maybe. I doubt it, but cant really prove it at this point. Just to say that its not impossible for that game to outsell the 3DS one. Look at Thousand Year Door. Look at all the other million-sellers on the Wii U.

Because if you keep having faith in something that is through a mere luck, you will just keep complaning about it and never leaving Nintendo on its own world because the only way Nintendo can be better is Nintendo being on its own.
Has yet to be proven.

Socar

Yeah, now. I don't know why the same can't happen for F-Zero. And you can't really say its because F-Zero is niche; a heavily anime-influenced Strategy RPG is way more niche than a futuristic racing game.
Fire Emblem was doing terribly enough that it also shouldnt have gotten a second or in reality third chance as it did if the sales department had their way. Under your presumption, at least. I don't know if F-Zero ever got a hard marketing push, I'm gonna bite and say probably not considering the most well-known game of the lot, GX, wasn't even an inhouse production, it was outsourced.
Fire Emblem is an IP that was developed by IS and published by Nintendo. F-Zero, Metroid and Starfox on the other hand were solely developed by Nintendo themselves. Sure, these games were outsourced by third parties most of the time(except Metroid) bu IS on the other hand is partly owned by Nintendo and is a second party studio. and FE is the only thing that IS was good at and it was the only thing that IS is so persistent to keep.

You have to understand that Fire Emblem is huge in Japan so there was a demand for these types of games in Japan.

As for why the same thing can't happen to F-Zero? Simple. Because F-Zero couldn't sell well consistently for the most part and this coming from Nintendo themselves that they tried doing a lot to F-Zero...its just that the IP didn't do enough for them that there was no point into trying new things with it. Furthermore, racing games aren't that huge in Japan and it won't seem to change Nintendo's mind even if its the opposite because Mario Kart is itself enough to fill that gap.

But Fire Emblem like I said, atleast has a market regardless of how niche it used to be.

I'll take your word for it, I haven't played much of the older games. SRPGs in it of themselves are incredibly niche genre. If difficulty was what was holding people back from playing Fire Emblem, than New Mystery of the Emblem would have sold Awakening levels as well. But it didnt. If it was a lack of a consumer base, well DS was one of the best selling systems of all time, handheld or console, so it obviously wasn't that. Its hard to pin down why Awakening was a smash success, but I've got to say its probably the marriage stuff.
Genealogy of the Holy War actually started that marriage system but no...I don't think marriage is what made it popular because if that was the case, then the recent game echoes which is a remake of gaiden would also have that feature as well.

Possibly. Advance Wars is niche only because it is an SRPG. It only has casual mode, iirc, so difficulty is not really an issue there. The games sold poorly so they're dead, fine, but it does not mean Nintendo drops them from existence. Look at Fire Emblem, again, for proof.
Advance wars is NOT an SRPG. SRPG stands for simulation role playing game which is what Fire Emblem is and not the former as it is just a strategy game. Do you care about dead units in Advance Wars? No. Do each of those units have special skills and stats like the ones in Fire Emblem...no..atleast I don't think so.

Well enough? Hell no, on a console with over 60 million users it only sold around 2 million? That is not impressive, especially when you see that it sold just as much on the Gamecube, a console with only 20 million users. Thousand Year Door was a sales upswing for Nintendo, things were trending positively saleswise because what they were doing was working. And they changed it for no reason. At least a reason not directly related to sales. "They wanted to do something different" fine, but don't tell me its because of sales.
It wasn't sheer luck, you plan out RPG stories, c'mon.
That's just flat out Nintendo. They did their own thing by having a story for a Paper Mario game and for that time it worked. Now when they decide to not have a story and do it differently in Sticker Star, that still worked and some people DO like that game as I know many of them that do even though I personally didn't like it.

2 million out of a spin off is impressive because that's what motivates the staff to milk more out of the IP and do new things to it. if it sold poorly, it wouldn't have seen light of day.

Nice assumption, do you know someone that works at Nintendo?
I know some who usually work there particularly Kensuke Tanabe and Hitoshi Yamauchi. I have to observe more which I admit, I used to do it but due to personal life and job and all, I ignored doing it.

One, you're comparing an RPG to a platformer in this example. Super Paper Mario at this point lost its RPG roots. That being said, I think its egregious to say that BiS is more creative compared to SPM, but thats personal opinion, not fact.
I think Paper Mario went the way it did because Nintendo very much believes, the way you do, that one Mario RPG is enough. I mean I guess, but they haven't been doing much with since that division.
M&L are RPG games and that series is a lot safer than say Paper Mario which....I think its time has come to an end unless somehow Nintendo does one thing that brings it back to life. And yeah if M&L is doing fine, then that's all there is to worry about. Besides Thousand Year Door, I've enjoyed M&L better because that series is consistently good.

Has yet to be proven.
What are you talking about? This is the company that did the obscurity and survived out of that. We're talking about the questionable dual screen gaming, motion control gaming and the odd change of adding casual mode in FE.,,,that alone is Nintendo doing their own thing.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I think they're adding supports to Echoes, though, kinda like how they added supports to New Mystery of the Emblem (which I wouldn't call super easy as it's very easy to get the bad ending of that game).

grimabepraised

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
@mattavelle1 @CitizenOfVerona - Your wish is my command.

So, this is definitely a departure from where the games have been previously. It's 1st person, so that adds to the immersion. Also, so far, it is not following any previous stories. No characters I recognize.

I won't go into the plot, because I don't want to spoil anything. I will say that the game is gorgeous. Very well done in that regard. Sound too. The background and atmospheric sounds really add to the feeling of terror. (Turned off all the lights, which may have been a mistake. Lol)

It seems random what parts of the environment you can interact with and which you can't. The ones you can though are very creative.

From what I've played, it plays like survival horror. And yes, I've already jumped several times. (And maybe I screamed once.)

(Oh, and I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed Revelations on the 3DS, especially thanks to the shell that gave me an extra control stick.)

So, this is definitely a departure from where the games have been previously. It's 1st person, so that adds to the immersion. Also, so far, it is not following any previous stories. No characters I recognize.

I won't go into the plot, because I don't want to spoil anything. I will say that the game is gorgeous. Very well done in that regard. Sound too. The background and atmospheric sounds really add to the feeling of terror. (Turned off all the lights, which may have been a mistake. Lol)

It seems random what parts of the environment you can interact with and which you can't. The ones you can though are very creative.

From what I've played, it plays like survival horror. And yes, I've already jumped several times. (And maybe I screamed once.)

(Oh, and I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed Revelations on the 3DS, especially thanks to the shell that gave me an extra control stick.)
I wanted to like Revelations but I hated the story, new characters and the constant shift away from Jill on the ship.

I love Alien Isolation so by the sounds of it, I'll enjoy RE7 as well. Add it to the "one day" list. After Gravity Rush 2 and Zelda.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Even if I can't play it, I'm always curious about how franchise I loved over the years is livin now. Good for RE and Capcom sounds like this one is headed down the right track.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Hey, everyone. I need to give you all an update.

So last week, my Grandmother (my Mom's Mom) went to the hospital for pneumonia, and was released by last Thursday. My parents went to go see her on Saturday, and she seemed her usual self. By the next day, however, she was starting to get worse according to the nursing home, and the nurses put her on morphine. So yesterday, I took off work for a couple hours to go visit her (my parents, and older brother were there also), and we were met with my Grandmother getting worse. I had never seen her like that. Could barely communicate, hardly move, and felt frustrated because we could not understand what she wanted. All we could hear her say most of the time was, "help me." Her health was unfortunately getting worse, and it looked as though she would make it through the week. It was...very difficult to see her like that, and we had no prior knowledge that her health had gotten this bad over the last 24 hours. After about an hour being there, I could not cope with seeing her like this, so I had to leave. I went up to her one last time, touched her arm, and in my head said, "Good bye, Grandma." That was my final goodbye, and the last time I'd ever see her alive. I did not go back to work yesterday afternoon.

About an hour ago, my Mom got a call from the nursing home that she had passed. It was strange in a way because I came to visit my folks after work earlier today, and in person, talk with them on how everyone was doing, including her. My Mom had gone to the nursing home earlier that day, and my Grandmother was not like she was yesterday, so it appeared she was getting better. My Mom asked if I wanted to stay for Dinner, so I agreed, and we all ate, chatted (my brother was there too), laughed, and had a good time. I was just about to head out when the nursing home called, and could tell immediately based on my Mom's tone of voice that something had happened. She got off the phone, looked at my brother and I, and said, "She's gone." My brother and I gave her a hug, and then she had to get ready to head over to the Nursing home, along with my Dad. I stayed a few extra minutes, talked with my Dad, and then left to head home. In the coming days, we'll be getting things prepared for the funeral, and everything else.

I think the worst part of it all is unlike my Dad's parents where they both went rather quickly, my Mom's parents did not. My Grandfather was getting worse, but held on for a few more weeks before he passed. And my Grandmother over the past couple of months had some trips to the hospital. Looking back though, it did appear things were getting better. Prior to yesterday, I had last seen her on Christmas Eve, and a week prior she had just gotten some new hearing aids, which greatly improved her quality of life. We gave her a new sweater even as a Christmas gift. And then last week, my Mom bought her some new shoes, as her other ones were a few years old, and getting old. Everything looked like she was going to continue to live on. My oldest brother, who is living in the UK right now, was coming home next month for a few days, would be staying with my parents, and we'd all go and see her. She was even looking forward to turning 96 in March, having a party and inviting friends, as well as looking beyond to reaching 100. But unfortunately, none of that happened.

For everyone here who still has their grandparents, please do go see them often, tell them you love them, and cherish those moments you spend with them because time will fly, and you'll miss it. Ask them to tell you stories of when they were younger. Anything. Go do it. Before I started working full-time a couple years ago, I went to go see my grandmother often when my Mom went. We used to go into the lounge, and my Mom and I would sit in these chairs by the corner of the room while my grandma would place her wheelchair in front of us. I really enjoyed those times. And I'll always remember this one time a few years ago, my parents drove down south with a friend of theirs, and so I took it upon myself to go visit my grandmother in the nursing home. She and I chatted for hours, talking about life, the times when she was younger, what I was going to be doing with my life, etc. It was probably one of my favorite moments of spending time with her, and thinking about it, it was the last time it was just the two of us spending time together. It was also a nice day out, so I took her outside in the courtyard. Now I realize I'll never get another opportunity like that again.

So please, everyone. Take every opportunity you can to spend time with your grandparents. Over the last couple of years, I felt I neglected in seeing her as often due to always being busy with work. I don't want to say I feel guilty about it, but it does make me think of the other moments I could've had in spending time with her. I never even got another chance to play cards with her like I said I would awhile ago. But I always had fun spending time with her, even during moments when she wasn't having the greatest of day; I knew she always enjoyed our company, and knowing that we still cared for her.

Thank you, Grandma, for all the wonderful memories, and all the times we spent together. Go and be with Grandpa now. He's been waiting for you. :mthumb:

I might have to take a deeper look at the game. From what I've been told and seen, it looks like RE's take on Amnesia. Which is fine, and it counts as survival horror, but not exactly what I want from an RE game. So I'm gonna give it another look.
Game does indeed look gorgeous, though.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

So last week, my Grandmother (my Mom's Mom) went to the hospital for pneumonia, and was released by last Thursday. My parents went to go see her on Saturday, and she seemed her usual self. By the next day, however, she was starting to get worse according to the nursing home, and the nurses put her on morphine. So yesterday, I took off work for a couple hours to go visit her (my parents, and older brother were there also), and we were met with my Grandmother getting worse. I had never seen her like that. Could barely communicate, hardly move, and felt frustrated because we could not understand what she wanted. All we could hear her say most of the time was, "help me." Her health was unfortunately getting worse, and it looked as though she would make it through the week. It was...very difficult to see her like that, and we had no prior knowledge that her health had gotten this bad over the last 24 hours. After about an hour being there, I could not cope with seeing her like this, so I had to leave. I went up to her one last time, touched her arm, and in my head said, "Good bye, Grandma." That was my final goodbye, and the last time I'd ever see her alive. I did not go back to work yesterday afternoon.

About an hour ago, my Mom got a call from the nursing home that she had passed. It was strange in a way because I came to visit my folks after work earlier today, and in person, talk with them on how everyone was doing, including her. My Mom had gone to the nursing home earlier that day, and my Grandmother was not like she was yesterday, so it appeared she was getting better. My Mom asked if I wanted to stay for Dinner, so I agreed, and we all ate, chatted (my brother was there too), laughed, and had a good time. I was just about to head out when the nursing home called, and could tell immediately based on my Mom's tone of voice that something had happened. She got off the phone, looked at my brother and I, and said, "She's gone." My brother and I gave her a hug, and then she had to get ready to head over to the Nursing home, along with my Dad. I stayed a few extra minutes, talked with my Dad, and then left to head home. In the coming days, we'll be getting things prepared for the funeral, and everything else.

I think the worst part of it all is unlike my Dad's parents where they both went rather quickly, my Mom's parents did not. My Grandfather was getting worse, but held on for a few more weeks before he passed. And my Grandmother over the past couple of months had some trips to the hospital. Looking back though, it did appear things were getting better. Prior to yesterday, I had last seen her on Christmas Eve, and a week prior she had just gotten some new hearing aids, which greatly improved her quality of life. We gave her a new sweater even as a Christmas gift. And then last week, my Mom bought her some new shoes, as her other ones were a few years old, and getting old. Everything looked like she was going to continue to live on. My oldest brother, who is living in the UK right now, was coming home next month for a few days, would be staying with my parents, and we'd all go and see her. She was even looking forward to turning 96 in March, having a party and inviting friends, as well as looking beyond to reaching 100. But unfortunately, none of that happened.

For everyone here who still has their grandparents, please do go see them often, tell them you love them, and cherish those moments you spend with them because time will fly, and you'll miss it. Ask them to tell you stories of when they were younger. Anything. Go do it. Before I started working full-time a couple years ago, I went to go see my grandmother often when my Mom went. We used to go into the lounge, and my Mom and I would sit in these chairs by the corner of the room while my grandma would place her wheelchair in front of us. I really enjoyed those times. And I'll always remember this one time a few years ago, my parents drove down south with a friend of theirs, and so I took it upon myself to go visit my grandmother in the nursing home. She and I chatted for hours, talking about life, the times when she was younger, what I was going to be doing with my life, etc. It was probably one of my favorite moments of spending time with her, and thinking about it, it was the last time it was just the two of us spending time together. It was also a nice day out, so I took her outside in the courtyard. Now I realize I'll never get another opportunity like that again.

So please, everyone. Take every opportunity you can to spend time with your grandparents. Over the last couple of years, I felt I neglected in seeing her as often due to always being busy with work. I don't want to say I feel guilty about it, but it does make me think of the other moments I could've had in spending time with her. I never even got another chance to play cards with her like I said I would awhile ago. But I always had fun spending time with her, even during moments when she wasn't having the greatest of day; I knew she always enjoyed our company, and knowing that we still cared for her.

Thank you, Grandma, for all the wonderful memories, and all the times we spent together. Go and be with Grandpa now. He's been waiting for you. :mthumb:
Very sorry for your loss Shoulder. :mhug:

sjmartin79

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

sjmartin79

I might have to take a deeper look at the game. From what I've been told and seen, it looks like RE's take on Amnesia. Which is fine, and it counts as survival horror, but not exactly what I want from an RE game. So I'm gonna give it another look.
Game does indeed look gorgeous, though.
Allegedly it does connect to the larger RE world and stories, not just yet. I can see the hints though. The story is definitely engaging and makes you want to learn more. I give them hugs credit for the feelings of isolation and constant on-your-guard-terror. And the puzzles and backtracking are done well and make you keep track of what you've done and seen.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street

Hey Shoulder, I am so sorry that this happened. My condolences to you and your family. Stay strong, we love you. Better days are ahead :)

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen

sorry for your loss man

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Heck yeah!

Just a day ago one of my friends' grandfather died. Rest in peace to both of them.