The Great CT - Community Thread

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
My condolences, Shoulder. One of the main reasons I moved down here to Arkansas is to spend as much time with my grandparents and my great-grandmother in the time they have left (although my grandparents are in their late 70's, so Lord willing they've still got a good 20 years in 'em).

Although I wasn't quite prepared for the interesting information I would learn about my family history. I mean, I knew there was some effed up shit in there because all I would have to do to know about that is look at my second and third cousins, but holy hannah there was some stuff in there that made me go, "Jesus, really?!".

Hell, there were some things even my parents didn't know, like my paternal grandmother's (great?)grandparents being slave-owners, or my great-grandfather owning several champion fighting dogs. It makes all the shit my extended family gets up to these days seem wholesome in comparison.

praisegrima

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Sorry to hear about your grandma @Shoulder. I wish I was as close to my grandma (my only living grandparent) as you were to yours. Even though your pain is great, I hope you always cherish your memories of her.

Socar

So is there any fast food restaraunt that is pure healthy? I always believe that Subway is the healthiest of all since well, you can choose what you want to put in your sandwhich, all the vegetables are fresh and there's multi grain option for the bread as well....

So far my mom makes food for me but I know for a fact that won't be the case anymore when the time comes and she doesn't realize that having outside food is the only option to survive.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So is there any fast food restaraunt that is pure healthy? I always believe that Subway is the healthiest of all since well, you can choose what you want to put in your sandwhich, all the vegetables are fresh and there's multi grain option for the bread as well....

So far my mom makes food for me but I know for a fact that won't be the case anymore when the time comes and she doesn't realize that having outside food is the only option to survive.
There's a general rule of thumb when visiting restaurants. If you want to go pure healthy, don't go to restaurants. You can of course reduce the burden, and make things healthier, but to go fully healthy, yeah, you're almost always better off making our own food. Subway does provide a lot of options for making your food healthier, but in general, yeah, if you want to go full-on on a health regiment, just make your own food.

Now that being said, again, you can reduce the burden, so if you want to get a sandwich or something, get a wrap instead of a full bun to cut down on the carbs. Don't know if Subway provides this (haven't really checked), but another sub-sandwich joint called Jimmy Johns always allows you to get a lettuce wrap, so no wheat, and very little carbs, but with the same ingredients as if you were eating it with full bun.

And since you're talking about sub sandwiches, anything they ask about sauces or dressings, always opt out of those as it's just really unnecessary calories, and you still get 95% of the taste. In a perfect world, I'm all about the low-carb, high protein lifestyle (I don't drink soda, or if I do very rarely), I try to reduce sugar in my food, and these days, I only drink on occasion.

Socar

There's a general rule of thumb when visiting restaurants. If you want to go pure healthy, don't go to restaurants. You can of course reduce the burden, and make things healthier, but to go fully healthy, yeah, you're almost always better off making our own food. Subway does provide a lot of options for making your food healthier, but in general, yeah, if you want to go full-on on a health regiment, just make your own food.

Now that being said, again, you can reduce the burden, so if you want to get a sandwich or something, get a wrap instead of a full bun to cut down on the carbs. Don't know if Subway provides this (haven't really checked), but another sub-sandwich joint called Jimmy Johns always allows you to get a lettuce wrap, so no wheat, and very little carbs, but with the same ingredients as if you were eating it with full bun.

And since you're talking about sub sandwiches, anything they ask about sauces or dressings, always opt out of those as it's just really unnecessary calories, and you still get 95% of the taste. In a perfect world, I'm all about the low-carb, high protein lifestyle (I don't drink soda, or if I do very rarely), I try to reduce sugar in my food, and these days, I only drink on occasion.
Ok so how do you usually get food? By going to restaurants or by cooking for yourself? how much time does it take for you to cook food for your breakfast, lunch and dinner before going to work? I usually come very late from work and I tend to need to get a lot of sleep so for me, I have no idea how to find the time to do all that stuff and it seems to go into the fast food route for me atleast when my mom...you know isn't there anymore.

Shoulder

Ok so how do you usually get food? By going to restaurants or by cooking for yourself? how much time does it take for you to cook food for your breakfast, lunch and dinner before going to work? I usually come very late from work and I tend to need to get a lot of sleep so for me, I have no idea how to find the time to do all that stuff and it seems to go into the fast food route for me atleast when my mom...you know isn't there anymore.
Normally, I buy my own food, and make it myself, and depending on what it is, it can take a couple minutes to maybe half-hour. If I was slow-cooking something ,well, that's 8 hours, but it's set it and forget it, so that doesn't count.

Normally, for breakfast and lunch, I make my own food, and for dinner it varies. Sometimes I eat out, or get take-out, and other times, I make my own food. I am very basic in my foods though, so normally nothing fancy. And yeah, if you work late, and then have little time to eat, then eating a large meal wouldn't be the best option. For example, normally on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have kickboxing after work, so I don't even eat dinner as that will upset my stomach during some hardcore cardio (and trust me, it's not a good feeling). After that and Tai Chi Chuan, I will go home, and normally have at least a little something, but nothing too much.

Does your work allow you to have a lunch break, or even a few minutes to eat at least something, or are you forced to just work the whole way without many breaks? If nothing else, make your breakfast or lunch your biggest meal of the day, and then your dinner is really just a snack.

There is nothing to suggest that dinner must be your biggest meal of the day (and depending on who you ask, some will say breakfast or lunch, but that's another conversation), so maybe have a bigger meal during the day rather than in the evening. There are loads of options, but again, it depends on your work situation.

And one last thing, you will save money by buying your own food and making it yourself than buying it at a fast food joint, or some other restaurant. It is expensive to eat out all the time.

Shoulder

My condolences, Shoulder. One of the main reasons I moved down here to Arkansas is to spend as much time with my grandparents and my great-grandmother in the time they have left (although my grandparents are in their late 70's, so Lord willing they've still got a good 20 years in 'em).

Although I wasn't quite prepared for the interesting information I would learn about my family history. I mean, I knew there was some effed up shit in there because all I would have to do to know about that is look at my second and third cousins, but holy hannah there was some stuff in there that made me go, "Jesus, really?!".

Hell, there were some things even my parents didn't know, like my paternal grandmother's (great?)grandparents being slave-owners, or my great-grandfather owning several champion fighting dogs. It makes all the shit my extended family gets up to these days seem wholesome in comparison.

praisegrima
To extend beyond that, it also helps to know if your family is susceptible for certain conditions. My Grandmother for example had a Thyroid issue, which in turn also affected my Mom, so it could affect myself, and/or my older brothers as well later in life. The sad part is people of that generation did not talk about that kind of stuff. It's just something they did not do. So to know your family history, and understand their potential health issues, as well as yours, can be difficult to nail down.

My Dad's Mom for example, we found out after she died back in 2007 that she was taking high blood pressure medication. I personally found out later on that she also wore hearing aids, but because of how her hair was fixed up, you'd never know (she was embarrassed to tell anyone).

So yeah, there's a lot of things that it is very helpful to know about your family, but unfortunately, you might also discover aspects that make you go, "Oh..." like for example your great-grandparents being slave-owners and had champion fighting dogs. That is definitely not something I'd certainly be proud of.

One of the things my grandmother worked on for many years (after my grandfather died in 2001) was she began work on a Genealogy for my Mom's side of the family. I know that side of the family is both German, and Slovakian, and this Genealogy goes all the way back to the 1600's. I promised my grandmother that I would take possession of it after she would pass, and I still plan to do that. My Dad's side is a little bit more complicated, but based on what I know, it's Scottish, and Norwegian, and perhaps even some Native American in there as well, but nothing is confirmed. That is definitely a side of my family that I want to understand and know about, both the good and bad side of things.

And for everyone, thank you all very much for your kind words, and sympathies. I've been talking with Matt on this, and it really solidifies the fact of how closely-knitted we all are around here, and how willing we are to support one another. It truly feels unique and welcoming in that regard. :mthumb:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
making food can take hours, days, or minutes...

a cold sandwhich like you would get at subway for example only takes you as long as it would take them to make, but would be cheaper, and with healthier options... salads can also be really fast if you buy a lettuce pack so you don't have to shred it yourself... you could get a crockpot to slow cook stuff while you are away...

not super healthy, but if you want a really good and easy crockpot roast get like a 2lb chunk of beef roast (with as little fat on it as possible) throw it in the crockpot, empty a can of cream of celery or mushroom soup on top of it, a single packet of lipton onion soup mix, cover it, plug it in, and set it to low... when you get back from work you will have a great roast with a thick rich gravy.... eat with rice and/or veggies, mashed potatoes, whatever... super easy... not super healthy, but tastes great, easy as fuck, and you'll have leftovers for days or can feed a family

soups can be fairly easy too... depending... I make a polish pickle soup that takes f'n forever.... but some soups are super simple

Shoulder

The interesting thing about that picture of the guy playing his GCN while on the shitter using the Wavebird is he's seeing a flipped image. And because it's flipped, the controls are horizontally flipped, so left becomes right, and vice versa.

Socar

making food can take hours, days, or minutes...

a cold sandwhich like you would get at subway for example only takes you as long as it would take them to make, but would be cheaper, and with healthier options... salads can also be really fast if you buy a lettuce pack so you don't have to shred it yourself... you could get a crockpot to slow cook stuff while you are away...

not super healthy, but if you want a really good and easy crockpot roast get like a 2lb chunk of beef roast (with as little fat on it as possible) throw it in the crockpot, empty a can of cream of celery or mushroom soup on top of it, a single packet of lipton onion soup mix, cover it, plug it in, and set it to low... when you get back from work you will have a great roast with a thick rich gravy.... eat with rice and/or veggies, mashed potatoes, whatever... super easy... not super healthy, but tastes great, easy as fuck, and you'll have leftovers for days or can feed a family

soups can be fairly easy too... depending... I make a polish pickle soup that takes f'n forever.... but some soups are super simple
Oh...and I forgot to mention that I'm a strict vegetarian as well. Sorry about that.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
The interesting thing about that picture of the guy playing his GCN while on the shitter using the Wavebird is he's seeing a flipped image. And because it's flipped, the controls are horizontally flipped, so left becomes right, and vice versa.
Story time! When I was younger, I played Mario 64 on a tiny TV, and I wanted a bigger one. Being young, I obviously couldn't afford one, though, so instead I turned my TV into a projector and proceeded to play Mario 64 in a dark room, on a 100 inch screen.

However, the image was of course flipped. I had plans to add a mirror, but just didn't have a suitable one. So for about a month I played with a flipped image and reversed controls, and that's actually how I beat the game.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Gotta love Europeans and their advertising.

When I was spending some time in Spain, I saw this billboard for Levi jeans. It had a nude man laying facedown on the ground. And you see a woman's leg wearing very stylish fitted Levi jeans and high heel boots, more like hooker boots. The stiletto heel of her boot was positioned right at his butthole. The tagline on the billboard said "Levi's: Put the boot in" lol
You could never get away with that in the US.

Shoulder

Gotta love Europeans and their advertising.

When I was spending some time in Spain, I saw this billboard for Levi jeans. It had a nude man laying facedown on the ground. And you see a woman's leg wearing very stylish fitted Levi jeans and high heel boots, more like hooker boots. The stiletto heel of her boot was positioned right at his butthole. The tagline on the billboard said "Levi's: Put the boot in" lol
You could never get away with that in the US.
I want...to see that ad. Does it exist anywhere?

Now, this is more of a topic for the Politics thread, but I find it very sad, and yet entertaining how bent out of shape people get when anything sexual is shown on normal TV, but showing any sort of violence is perfectly acceptable.

Reminds me of this instagram account called Genderless nipples that is showing nipples, but does not mention if it's male or female. In essence, instagram will block or censor any female nipples, but male nipples are totally fine. But take away the body shape, and instagram doesn't know what to do.

OMG! FEMALE NIPPLES! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I want...to see that ad. Does it exist anywhere?

Now, this is more of a topic for the Politics thread, but I find it very sad, and yet entertaining how bent out of shape people get when anything sexual is shown on normal TV, but showing any sort of violence is perfectly acceptable.

Reminds me of this instagram account called Genderless nipples that is showing nipples, but does not mention if it's male or female. In essence, instagram will block or censor any female nipples, but male nipples are totally fine. But take away the body shape, and instagram doesn't know what to do.

OMG! FEMALE NIPPLES! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!
I was wrong. Wasn't Levi, it was Lee.

I personally cook most of my meals. I might go to a restaurant once a month these days with friends.

It helps I enjoy cooking too. Now that I know what gives me the abdominal pain, I look forward to experimenting again. I like trying new recipes and spices. I recently tried a tofu stir fry and I was pretty impressed with it.

It also helps that since I don't have a standard 9-5 type job, I have more time in the day then the standard working person.

If you're looking to start making your own meals I recommend starting small/recipes you already know and keep adding on from there. I personally enjoy rice and veggies, so I started having those two and kept adding/eperimenting until I got something I really enjoy. I cook rice, while frying up some mushrooms, peppers, broccoli. I'll throw the rice on top and fry in an egg. Sprinkle some garlic or paprika and that's a decent meal. Sometimes I'll throw in some fish, or fry up some salmon on the side. Like I already said, I tried a tofu one last week and it was great. Other times I'll use noodles. That's just for stir fries.

Shoulder

I personally cook most of my meals. I might go to a restaurant once a month these days with friends.

It helps I enjoy cooking too. Now that I know what gives me the abdominal pain, I look forward to experimenting again. I like trying new recipes and spices. I recently tried a tofu stir fry and I was pretty impressed with it.

It also helps that since I don't have a standard 9-5 type job, I have more time in the day then the standard working person.

If you're looking to start making your own meals I recommend starting small/recipes you already know and keep adding on from there. I personally enjoy rice and veggies, so I started having those two and kept adding/eperimenting until I got something I really enjoy. I cook rice, while frying up some mushrooms, peppers, broccoli. I'll throw the rice on top and fry in an egg. Sprinkle some garlic or paprika and that's a decent meal. Sometimes I'll throw in some fish, or fry up some salmon on the side. Like I already said, I tried a tofu one last week and it was great. Other times I'll use noodles. That's just for stir fries.
Speaking of adding stuff, if you're looking to add a bit of extra flavor to your rice, don't use water, replace it with chicken broth.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
My bro wants to send me a 3DS eshop card as a gift for my birthday. Is there a way that he can send the card digitally to me as a gift?
NO STOP RIGHT THERE!!!

There is not only no way to "gift" digitally anymore.

But I even bought @CitizenOfVerona a eShop card. We ran the numbers and since it wasent used in proximity of where the card was bought I couldn't even gift that way. And we're only separated by nothing (US & Canada)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I even called Nintendo and they we're like "yeah you can't gift your homeboy in anyway".

If your brother wants to do that. Best thing to do is buy a prepaid Visa card and have im mail it to you or something.

Socar

Ok so the guys I am a big fan of as of now over here at TNE as thanks.

Thanks @Shoulder. You give a lot of good advice to me that I have no idea what I'd do without your advice.

Thanks @mattavelle1 for introducing me to TNE community and thanks for not being too hard on me. I never have to worry about being banned here and thank you for letting out my frustrations in general life over here even when I almost post a lot of crap stuff like that cancer thing...(can't believe I really said that here...)

Thanks @theMightyME for often posting R.A.P and for advising me to stay away from One Piece. Those R.A.P alone make me laugh and smile a whole lot and you seem to be one of the only few guys to spread a lot of optimism for Nintendo for a lot of good reasons like that Phone chat thing being sensible and how a lack of third party parity is still not a bad thing for Nintendo.

And thanks to

And thanks to everyone here for accepting me for who I am here. I only hope the forums can live for decades even after I'm like...gone so that another person like me will never have to think hard before posting stuff here....

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

I remember I made my first playthrough of Mega Man 9 way more complicated than it needed to be, by going for the accomplishment/achievement where you don't use robot master weapons on the robot masters.

I cook most of my own food, although I do eat a lot of stuff that doesn't need a lot of prep, like sandwiches, cereal, frozen entrees/chicken, and chicken. Good thing about living where I do is if I get confused by a recipe I can just go across the street and ask my mom if she's at home for some help.

I could've sworn you could still buy someone a digital gift on the Nintendo store as late as last freakin' year, but I might be remembering things wrong.

praisegrima

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok so the guys I am a big fan of as of now over here at TNE as thanks.

Thanks @Shoulder. You give a lot of good advice to me that I have no idea what I'd do without your advice.

Thanks @mattavelle1 for introducing me to TNE community and thanks for not being too hard on me. I never have to worry about being banned here and thank you for letting out my frustrations in general life over here even when I almost post a lot of crap stuff like that cancer thing...(can't believe I really said that here...)

Thanks @theMightyME for often posting R.A.P and for advising me to stay away from One Piece. Those R.A.P alone make me laugh and smile a whole lot and you seem to be one of the only few guys to spread a lot of optimism for Nintendo for a lot of good reasons like that Phone chat thing being sensible and how a lack of third party parity is still not a bad thing for Nintendo.

And thanks to

And thanks to everyone here for accepting me for who I am here. I only hope the forums can live for decades even after I'm like...gone so that another person like me will never have to think hard before posting stuff here....

No problem that's just what we do here.

Am I the only one? Or does anyone else here always find infuriating typo's in their posts immediately after posting them; regardless of who meny times they proof read them before? I am confidant that 99% of my edits on the site are just me correcting types right after I post anything.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Am I the only one? Or does anyone else here always find infuriating typo's in their posts immediately after posting them; regardless of who meny times they proof read them before? I am confidant that 99% of my edits on the site are just me correcting types right after I post anything.
If you haven't noticed I stop caring along time ago. :msilly:

Anyone here play Marvel Vs Capcom 3? Recently got re-released for PS4.

I'm no that good at fighters, only ones I really got into over the years were Smash and Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. Is MvC 3 good for some pick up and play action or am I gonna have to take a 9 month course just to learn how to play?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Anyone here play Marvel Vs Capcom 3? Recently got re-released for PS4.

I'm no that good at fighters, only ones I really got into over the years were Smash and Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. Is MvC 3 good for some pick up and play action or am I gonna have to take a 9 month course just to learn how to play?
Bought it, and really enjoyed it despite being bad at fighters myself.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

Oh...and I forgot to mention that I'm a strict vegetarian as well. Sorry about that.
If you're vegan or have a specific way in which you eat, then the best way is to avoid buying your meals, unless it's from an outlet that's strictly to your diet. Having worked in the food industry a few times, no one cares about your diet. As much as a restaurant tries to avoid cross-contamination it still happens in a few cases. It's also a common consensus that vegans or humans with food allergies should state their diet when ordering. Personally if it was me taking the order, I would've told them to go back home and cook or go somewhere vegan-themed.

Cooking does have some other benefits. When you cook your own food, like daily chores it becomes a discipline. If you feel like you're becoming a lazy waste of space and time, then cooking, among other chores, can slowly help you recover your feelings of wanting to do stuff.

Because I like to think of myself as perfect, my posts are often heavily edited for grammatical errors within the first 20 mins after posting it and re-reading it. It's worse when someone replies and your errors are permanent! Damn you, quick responses! I need to feel superior!

-----
It feels weird seeing positive comments about Nintendo on an IGN video.

...aaaand my graphics card is working! Thank the universe I don't have to have it RMA'd! Now I can get back to drawing and complaining about digital drawing.

Last edited: