The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
@MANGANian
I've actually been listening to the IGN Nintendo Voice Chat podcast pretty regularly for awhile now. They've actually been pretty positive for quite awhile. Jose is almost on the verge of fanboy, in my opinion, but reels it in to give the impression of professionalism.
I've been listening too, and it is one of the better Nintendo podcasts. Some of the others definitely come off chaotic and less professional.

With RE7 just released, I was in the mood for a nice spooky game to play. I could have gone to the store and paid 90 bucks for it, or I could fire up Condemned: Criminal Origins that I bought last summer.

Yeah I went with the option in which I didn't have to spend money. Gotta say, I'm impressed with Condemned. It was abit frustrating at first since it's mostly melee combatwith a first person perspective, but I'll admit, it manages to scare me. First little bit was more tense than outright scary, but the last chapter I played took place in a mall that feature crazy people with their face plastered to look like a mannequin, their breathing and movements were what got me. There was also a part featuring teleporting mannequins that would surround/look at you. Again, I'll admit that game made me whimper a bit out loud and say "oh fuck" a few times. What impresses me the most is how besides one jump scare featuring a cupboard and homeless women, the game doesn't rely on it.

I'm digging the story too, a nice murder mystery. I've been meaning to read more books like it, so this is a good start.

What a way to spend a Saturday night, but it's nice being legitimately scared by a video game again.

With RE7 just released, I was in the mood for a nice spooky game to play. I could have gone to the store and paid 90 bucks for it, or I could fire up Condemned: Criminal Origins that I bought last summer.

Yeah I went with the option in which I didn't have to spend money. Gotta say, I'm impressed with Condemned. It was abit frustrating at first since it's mostly melee combatwith a first person perspective, but I'll admit, it manages to scare me. First little bit was more tense than outright scary, but the last chapter I played took place in a mall that feature crazy people with their face plastered to look like a mannequin, their breathing and movements were what got me. There was also a part featuring teleporting mannequins that would surround/look at you. Again, I'll admit that game made me whimper a bit out loud and say "oh fuck" a few times. What impresses me the most is how besides one jump scare featuring a cupboard and homeless women, the game doesn't rely on it.

I'm digging the story too, a nice murder mystery. I've been meaning to read more books like it, so this is a good start.

What a way to spend a Saturday night, but it's nice being legitimately scared by a video game again.
One of the first 360 games I played, left a big impression on me. One of the reasons I was instantly interested in ZombiU was because it looked a lot like Condemned to me (in the end I do think there are a number of similarities between the two)
Yeah, great game, that mall area is pretty inspired.

One of the first 360 games I played, left a big impression on me. One of the reasons I was instantly interested in ZombiU was because it looked a lot like Condemned to me (in the end I do think there are a number of similarities between the two)
Yeah, great game, that mall area is pretty inspired.
I never thought about it, but yeah, the two games do feel similar in certain ways. I enjoyed ZombiU quite a bit, but I felt like it could have been better and more scary. Maybe I should replay it soon but I remember the second half not measuring up to the first half. Perhaps it shouldn't have been rushed for launch.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Hrmmm, I wonder if Nintendo doesn't plan on completely removing all forms of Miiverse? I can't recall it ever being there before, but now My Nintendo links you to the Miiverse website on the reward mission, and the website itself seems to have been updated into a proper format. It would be pretty cool if they still intend on supporting it, even though it would no longer be integrated into the Switch like it was for the Wii U.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
As of late and putting 2016 way behind me, 2017 had started off like a runaway train. So many stark contrast from last year. I've had the oppertunity to hire a drug addict that oddly enough is exactly who I would have been had "Mattavelle" been alllowed outta his cage. He and I are really vibing and it has been a great start to our relationship.

Last year we couldn't drum up enough work if we were standing on it. This year up till this point just for example the owners of Dollar General store called us to do all there stonework on there upcoming new residence. Ontop of that we are landing just a lot of work every week and being blessed with sidejobs for cash. And we have other things in the works for our business also.

The people I've been in contact with IRL have just been better. I don't know how to explain it but it just seems like people are in a different zone on thangs.

And that brings us to also Switch being released here at the beginning of this year. I'm beyond excited for BotW, to the point I've tried to think about and make sure everything is perfect and nothing will hinder me from the experience I believe it's gonna offer me.

So here comes the purge. Lookin at my gamin library I got all the "games that matter" sold to all my friends who wanted them. I'm very excited about that. So the games I had left over that really were games not many would want I took to Gamestop yesterday to trade in.

I took with me 4 Walmart bags full of DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU games and 2 guitar hero guitars. It was freakin awesome actually. Not one game went across that scanner where I thought "DAMN I can't believe I got rid of that one". They didn't take back the guitars but I left them there anyhow lol. At the end of all things I ended up with 343 dollars!!!

Preparation of my Switch is complete. I got my preorder of the Switch and BotW 100% paid for without havin to open my wallet. Also I ordered and paid for yesterday a bundle that has the pro controller / Switch Carrying case. As of this moment I'm 100% ready for Switch. I'm only gonna play BotW for atleast a month or so before I start goin and buying more games or preordering.

Switch / game / pro controller and case all secured and paid for in full!!! Sooooo freakin pumped!!!

Well my wife over Christmas bought me a bangin ass JBL Soundbar and subwoofer. COMPLETE SURPRISE for me. But when I got it it made my 12 year old LG Plasma (fantastic TV) look like an old relic. Since Christmas I've been on the search for a new TV.

My wife and I throw a bigtime Super Bowl party every year. Well the job I'm on has blessed me heavily. We have a local business called Purdue Audio and he's been in business since I was a kid. I've bought 2 TVs off of him so I stopped by his shop the other day askin if he could come out and look at my mancave, he said yes.

So yesterday Mike comes by, measures up my area and gives me price and options on what I can do in this area. Now understand this, I've never had something work out like this with Super Bowl, and Switch BotW right around the cornor (4 weeks and 5 days PEOPLES!).

He tells me my options and the price and I can't believe everything I'm getting for the price. Ima wrap this up with everything that happened yesterday because for a gamer like me where that is my hobby my wife told me last night "I don't think you could have had a better day" and she's right.

Tomorrow when I get home from work I will have a mounted 65" LG4K Smart TV with HDR! My brand new JBL soundbar and Sub will be hooked up along with my GameCube / WiiU / and an HDMI ran for my Switch!!! Then on March 3rd I've now got my Switch / BotW / Pro controller and carrying case all that day! And it's all already paid for! Everything!!!!

Yesterday was almost to good to be true but man am I super excited to get to play BotW in this way. Now to just wait for tomorrow and then March 3rd! MAN IM SO EXCITED!!!!

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
As of late and putting 2016 way behind me, 2017 had started off like a runaway train. So many stark contrast from last year. I've had the oppertunity to hire a drug addict that oddly enough is exactly who I would have been had "Mattavelle" been alllowed outta his cage. He and I are really vibing and it has been a great start to our relationship.

Last year we couldn't drum up enough work if we were standing on it. This year up till this point just for example the owners of Dollar General store called us to do all there stonework on there upcoming new residence. Ontop of that we are landing just a lot of work every week and being blessed with sidejobs for cash. And we have other things in the works for our business also.

The people I've been in contact with IRL have just been better. I don't know how to explain it but it just seems like people are in a different zone on thangs.

And that brings us to also Switch being released here at the beginning of this year. I'm beyond excited for BotW, to the point I've tried to think about and make sure everything is perfect and nothing will hinder me from the experience I believe it's gonna offer me.

So here comes the purge. Lookin at my gamin library I got all the "games that matter" sold to all my friends who wanted them. I'm very excited about that. So the games I had left over that really were games not many would want I took to Gamestop yesterday to trade in.

I took with me 4 Walmart bags full of DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU games and 2 guitar hero guitars. It was freakin awesome actually. Not one game went across that scanner where I thought "DAMN I can't believe I got rid of that one". They didn't take back the guitars but I left them there anyhow lol. At the end of all things I ended up with 343 dollars!!!

Preparation of my Switch is complete. I got my preorder of the Switch and BotW 100% paid for without havin to open my wallet. Also I ordered and paid for yesterday a bundle that has the pro controller / Switch Carrying case. As of this moment I'm 100% ready for Switch. I'm only gonna play BotW for atleast a month or so before I start goin and buying more games or preordering.

Switch / game / pro controller and case all secured and paid for in full!!! Sooooo freakin pumped!!!

Well my wife over Christmas bought me a bangin ass JBL Soundbar and subwoofer. COMPLETE SURPRISE for me. But when I got it it made my 12 year old LG Plasma (fantastic TV) look like an old relic. Since Christmas I've been on the search for a new TV.

My wife and I throw a bigtime Super Bowl party every year. Well the job I'm on has blessed me heavily. We have a local business called Purdue Audio and he's been in business since I was a kid. I've bought 2 TVs off of him so I stopped by his shop the other day askin if he could come out and look at my mancave, he said yes.

So yesterday Mike comes by, measures up my area and gives me price and options on what I can do in this area. Now understand this, I've never had something work out like this with Super Bowl, and Switch BotW right around the cornor (4 weeks and 5 days PEOPLES!).

He tells me my options and the price and I can't believe everything I'm getting for the price. Ima wrap this up with everything that happened yesterday because for a gamer like me where that is my hobby my wife told me last night "I don't think you could have had a better day" and she's right.

Tomorrow when I get home from work I will have a mounted 65" LG4K Smart TV with HDR! My brand new JBL soundbar and Sub will be hooked up along with my GameCube / WiiU / and an HDMI ran for my Switch!!! Then on March 3rd I've now got my Switch / BotW / Pro controller and carrying case all that day! And it's all already paid for! Everything!!!!

Yesterday was almost to good to be true but man am I super excited to get to play BotW in this way. Now to just wait for tomorrow and then March 3rd! MAN IM SO EXCITED!!!!
It is shocking how cheap, and good, TVs are now.. I think it can largely be attributed to advances made in mobile tech which must catapulted R&D on display technologies

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It is shocking how cheap, and good, TVs are now.. I think it can largely be attributed to advances made in mobile tech which must catapulted R&D on display technologies
It messed me up when he told me the price. I thought it was gonna be tons higher. I love LG this will be my 3rd, and I got a great set by the looks of it. Can't wait to crank it up and see and hear how this setup is gonna run. He told me the sound bar I got is a step up from the ones he sales in his shop.........just the whole thing got me pumped.

On why TVs are so cheap for whatever reason. Now this just comes from this guy but he said yesterday "everyone is getting so much entertainment from there phones now, that is what's worth a lot of money. TVs aren't the focus of entertainment anymore".

Made sense

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
@theMightyME @mattavelle1

Regarding TV price, I think part of it just comes down to... shall we call it diminishing returns? Perspectives on value difference changes as appreciable differences decrease.

First there was the size jump, which was very noticeable and appreciable - I remember a time when a 27 inch TV was big! And then 50 inch TVs are available, and "of course" they're going to be expensive.

And then we had a major resolution bump to 1080p, and it looked so crystal clear, and it was very noticable and appreciable, and "of course" it was going to be expensive.

And then we have the 4K jump, and it's still kind of noticeable, but only if you really have a big TV and are pretty close to it. And that's not a reality for a lot of people, but it's still more, so sure, it's going to be more expensive, but maybe I can wait for awhile before I get one.

And then HDR comes along, and yea, the contrast is great, but my TV already has a pretty good picture, and day-to-day I don't find myself lamenting the lack of HDR. So OK, it's new, I guess it's going to be expensive, but I don't really see a need to get it until it's a standard thing.

I think we're just getting to a point where TV manufacturers are having a harder and harder time convincing people that they need to spend more and more. We already have giant TVs with super clear picture, that are super thin, produce very little heat, use very little energy. Why would the average person buy a super expensive TV if the only thing they're getting for an extra $3000 is better contrast and range?

So now we tend to see new features come out that are pretty expensive (4K for example), sell to the hardcore technophiles, and then quite rapidly reduce in price because they just can't sell to anyone else.

theMightyME

@theMightyME @mattavelle1

Regarding TV price, I think part of it just comes down to... shall we call it diminishing returns? Perspectives on value difference changes as appreciable differences decrease.

First there was the size jump, which was very noticeable and appreciable - I remember a time when a 27 inch TV was big! And then 50 inch TVs are available, and "of course" they're going to be expensive.

And then we had a major resolution bump to 1080p, and it looked so crystal clear, and it was very noticable and appreciable, and "of course" it was going to be expensive.

And then we have the 4K jump, and it's still kind of noticeable, but only if you really have a big TV and are pretty close to it. And that's not a reality for a lot of people, but it's still more, so sure, it's going to be more expensive, but maybe I can wait for awhile before I get one.

And then HDR comes along, and yea, the contrast is great, but my TV already has a pretty good picture, and day-to-day I don't find myself lamenting the lack of HDR. So OK, it's new, I guess it's going to be expensive, but I don't really see a need to get it until it's a standard thing.

I think we're just getting to a point where TV manufacturers are having a harder and harder time convincing people that they need to spend more and more. We already have giant TVs with super clear picture, that are super thin, produce very little heat, use very little energy. Why would the average person buy a super expensive TV if the only thing they're getting for an extra $3000 is better contrast and range?

So now we tend to see new features come out that are pretty expensive (4K for example), sell to the hardcore technophiles, and then quite rapidly reduce in price because they just can't sell to anyone else.
vizio has a 55" 4k HDR TV that comes packed with an android tablet (used as a remote since it includes chromecast built in) for around $600

that is just nutty...

the reasoning is everything we mentioned, the speed of technology development on screens was greatly ramped up by the speed of mobile technology development... basically so many people are buying so many mobile devices that the technologies used inside them are developing at a blistering pace as the competition heats up between OEMs... as the tech ramps up it becomes cheaper too... when companies are making 4k screens that are 5.5", replicating the process on a 55" screen with a much lower density just gets cheap.... TVs are also lasting logner than they were expected to, flatscreen HDTVs were expected to lats like 4-5 years... and people have had them for like 10.... that combined with the diminishing returns you mentioned, and the shift towards people using their personal screens (as matt said) more has sunk profit margins.... all of that combined with the continued r&d going into displays because of mobile (otherwise the TV market would stagnate and not really get much cheaper, most makers would just go under) gives us amazing prices....

if mobile wasn't such a huge thing the r&d costs wouldn't be covered by those departments, and TVs would cost way more and advance at a much slower pace

a great example of how this isn't JUST the stagnation of TV sales is if you look back at the pricing of old tube TVs which were not driven forward by advances for many years, and just sat stagnant and expensive... if there was a display based technology like smart phones around back then TVs would have had what is happening now happen back then

we are on the verge of HUGE developments in battery technology which will be an even bigger shift than smartphones were... the reason why is because batteries are used in so many forms of tech now... electric cars are becoming a thing again because of Ellon Musk, and the new battery factory he built will double the output of lithium ion batteries worldwide.... as in that factory alone will produce as many batteries as the rest of the world combined.... things like this are going to push battery tech in exciting new ways.... and when we start to get to the point in which batteries are just tiny and hold loads of power (there are like 10 or so HUGE tech jumps being developed including replacing batteries with super capacitors, faster charging, TRUE wireless charging, etc...)just imagine how that will change the world... if you crack open a phone right now, like 90% of the space in the casing is the f'n battery... if you look at things like google glass it had this massive earpiece which was mostly a battery, and the device didn't hold power for long.... or you can look at how thick smart watches are, and how often they have to be charged.... apple has started to popularize the tiny wireless earbud thing that Motorola introduced years ago... but they only last for a small amount of time and need a charging case... as tiny as those things are, again, 90% of that is battery... the speed of processors is also held back because of power draw... once that is no longer an issue, mobile power will skyrocket almost instantly

think about what it will mean for robotics, and personal area networks, and even implantables

as robotics shrink all manufacturing will become super cheap... a lot of futurists posit that laptops will cost about as much as cardboard to make, that a car could be built from scratch in the space of a residential garage... they even say that the need for precious metals in electronics like gold and copper will fade away and far cheaper more abundant materials will be fine....

we may hit a time in which a nice car costs $600... or like $10,000 with a f'n unbelievable profit margin

I mean look at a Tesla right now

it is one of the nicest cars around, and it is expensive, for sure, but when you consider what it can do, it seems quite cheap compared to the competition.... it is way way way cheaper than a high end porche for example, but it is the fastest production car in the world, is luxurious, the new models out now have level 4 automation tech in them (full self driving, only limited by laws), it does crazy things like lower and raise the suspension based on your preferences mapped to gps coordinates.... and you can get one new for about $80k.... pricey yes, but not Ferrari pricey, and yet it outperforms Ferrari and has more advanced functions

as Telsa grows, and as competitors start to follow suit with what Tesla does, AND as car ownership growth decreases thanks to things like uber and zipcar... car prices should begin to plummet as well

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Roku or Chromecast, guys?
Chromecast if you are proficient with using your phone. I have a Roku and it has one of the most archaic systems to find content. It reminds me of a cable box from the early 2000's. The reason why I bought it was because we don't have cable/satellite and I wanted my wife's parents to be able to access SlingTV with a remote.

Otherwise the Chromecast has way more features and potential content. My favorite feature is phone mirroring. I use that pretty often when friends are over. You can set it up where anybody can cast imagery/videos/music to it.

theMightyME

Roku or Chromecast, guys?
I prefer chromecast, but roku has amazon and chromecast doesn't.... plus chromecast is a little finicky

I just like the experience of using the individual service apps on my phone and then launching them to the TV...

it just feels more natural and how things should be

edit: if you ever intend to get google home, then get chomecast, youc an litteraly say "Okay Google, play Stranger Things with Netflix on my TV" without touching ANYTHING... it will even turn your tv on and switch to the right input

but you are probably pretty paranoid about always listening devices

Last edited:

simplyTravis

I prefer chromecast, but roku has amazon and chromecast doesn't.... plus chromecast is a little finicky

I just like the experience of using the individual service apps on my phone and then launching them to the TV...

it just feels more natural and how things should be

edit: if you ever intend to get google home, then get chomecast, youc an litteraly say "Okay Google, play Stranger Things with Netflix on my TV" without touching ANYTHING... it will even turn your tv on and switch to the right input

but you are probably pretty paranoid about always listening devices
You can actually cast Amazon Prime video via Chrome browser now by casting the tab from your computer. I haven't tried it from my phone though. So yeah...if you use Amazon Prime video it may be worth it to Roku.

theMightyME

You can actually cast Amazon Prime video via Chrome browser now by casting the tab from your computer. I haven't tried it from my phone though. So yeah...if you use Amazon Prime video it may be worth it to Roku.
you can, but it isn't ideal.... it is just amazon being dicks... they have done some very monopolistic things.... like you cannot get a chromecast or google home on amazon... that is anti-trust shit right there

simplyTravis

you can, but it isn't ideal.... it is just amazon being dicks... they have done some very monopolistic things.... like you cannot get a chromecast or google home on amazon... that is anti-trust shit right there
You do have a point there. It's been a while since I've watched anything on Prime.

If I remember the early days of Android TV they had Amazon as a partner for a while. I had the original Logitech Android TV then moved to the Asus Cube. I really liked those systems but Google really just let them die quickly. I would really like another Android box but the Chromecast has done a decent job.

Personally I would really prefer to use my Switch when that comes out. Looking through their audio specs they are still sticking with linear pcm which means that Netflix and other streaming systems won't push out surround sound. Looks like I'll have to stick to my Chromecast for that.

Ive been using my phones Miracast function which works well but is low quality. My Samsung Smart TV is apparently impossible to setup without doing router fuckery so Im looking for a middleman.
Chromecast sounds much more elegant, will grab one asap.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Prime isn't doing me any favours. Despite being subscribed to Prime the only benefits I get from it are strictly from the shop and Twitch. I can't use Prime Video or whatever it's called since "it's not available in my region", and I'm too lazy to bother using vpns or proxies. And as for Amazon Music (or whatever it's called), I find it a hassle to have to re-input my payment info so that's already out of the question for me.

So just twitch and the shop for me, and I guess I'm somewhat okay with that.

theMightyME

Prime isn't doing me any favours. Despite being subscribed to Prime the only benefits I get from it are strictly from the shop and Twitch. I can't use Prime Video or whatever it's called since "it's not available in my region", and I'm too lazy to bother using vpns or proxies. And as for Amazon Music (or whatever it's called), I find it a hassle to have to re-input my payment info so that's already out of the question for me.

So just twitch and the shop for me, and I guess I'm somewhat okay with that.
I thought Amazon just spread prime video to like over 100 countries, it might work for you now....

We have prime for the 2 day shipping... That is the real value... I watch prime video on occasion using my wii u... But the UI is fucking trash

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Man, I'm missing birthdays (Sorry @Karkashan) and instead finding mortality in my CT. Only been on sporadically, as I've gotten neck/balls deep into XBC. Meant to double back on a few of those replies...
Yes! Let's do it!
I'm actually loving the game now and have made it further than I have before. And the story just keeps getting better.

Edit: And that was exactly when I quit playing my first time too. Funny enough, my love for XCX is what is making me enjoy XC more this time. Because I think I know where the game can go, and I have faith.
After being up til 2 last night (and probably putting in 15 hours total this weekend), I think I'm pretty much at the midway point. The plot is...well, it's a JRPG. It's not transcending its medium, but it works well enough within those confines.

I'd almost be in love with this game. When you take out some "hey let's make this combat more obtuse"-moments and the occasional vicious difficulty spike, it really gets its mojo working.

I always had faith that this was a good game, but I always doubted it was my kind of game. Now? It's like a complicated relationship. Whenever I want to put my arms around XBC, it pushes me away. I keep reaching, though. The last three times, I didn't.
In the arts tab of the menu you can re-arrange all the arts location on your arts wheel. That could help.

I focused on my position relative to the enemy. Use back attack on it's back, use the side moves on it's side, etc.
Match up colors to stack damage.
Break will ALWAYS be useful. Break can make your allies attack the Mechs so whenever you can cause break do it. I remember there was three moves that go together, I think break, topple and daze. Topple is great for just letting loose on the enemy.

edit: Should just clarify. An enemy suffering from break can be toppled. A toppled enemy can be dazed. That's how they go together.

I found combat second nature after awhile.
Yeah, I put that together on this play through. The shifting palette was just an observation of something that had frustrated me (it wasn't so much that I knew I couldn't edit, it was that the editing was quietly done for me at a pivotal moment - quickly/quietly switching layout/mechanics at a boss battle is not the most elegant design choice, to put it mildly). I'd be breaking more enemies if I could always count on Reyn to hit topple instead of running off to pick a fight with a level 80 monster.

But...I'm still at it this time. And I never thought I'd be happy to spend 35 hours in this game.

What are the teirs like these days in SmashU? Who have you been using the most? And who do you have the most difficulty with?
Well in the UK Sheiks, Diddy's and Sonics dominate. I still main Meta Knight but have Samus on the side and I struggle with....Sheik Diddy Sonic :p
It is good to see you again. It has been too long.
I try to come on here now and then ;)

sjmartin79

After being up til 2 last night (and probably putting in 15 hours total this weekend), I think I'm pretty much at the midway point. The plot is...well, it's a JRPG. It's not transcending its medium, but it works well enough within those confines.

I'd almost be in love with this game. When you take out some "hey let's make this combat more obtuse"-moments and the occasional vicious difficulty spike, it really gets its mojo working.

I always had faith that this was a good game, but I always doubted it was my kind of game. Now? It's like a complicated relationship. Whenever I want to put my arms around XBC, it pushes me away. I keep reaching, though. The last three times, I didn't.

Yeah, I put that together on this play through. The shifting palette was just an observation of something that had frustrated me (it wasn't so much that I knew I couldn't edit, it was that the editing was quietly done for me at a pivotal moment - quickly/quietly switching layout/mechanics at a boss battle is not the most elegant design choice, to put it mildly). I'd be breaking more enemies if I could always count on Reyn to hit topple instead of running off to pick a fight with a level 80 monster.

But...I'm still at it this time. And I never thought I'd be happy to spend 35 hours in this game.
I'm about to get back into it. I took off all last week from to do Resident Evil 7. According to just glancing at the walkthrough to see how many sections there were to the game, I am at Section 8 of 15.
I know what you mean about the push and pull with the game. I feel it too. Honestly, I never felt that with XBCX. I would reach out to hug that game and it hugged me right back.

simplyTravis

Follow up chromecast question:
Does Spotify cast to it or do I need this separate Chromecast Audio thing for that?
I cast Spotify all the time with mine. Make sure your chromecast and the phone are on the same wifi network.

The audio one is there if you want to hook into standalone speakers with an auxiliary cord. The regular chromecast is HDMI and will show an image on the screen of what you are listening to.

theMightyME

Follow up chromecast question:
Does Spotify cast to it or do I need this separate Chromecast Audio thing for that?
Yeah, anything you can cast to Chromecast audio you can cast to the regular Chromecast... With the audio version you can do other things though, like full house audio if you have multiple devices...

Almost every major app and service sites casting now... The only major exceptions are Apple and Amazon services (audible, prime, itunes)... Also some specific network apps don't cast... But most do... And most services do... Netflix, Spotify, hulu, crunchyroll, YouTube, vimeo, etc...

Prime is the big standout, and you can use that on the wii u.... You can also take the less emergent approach of tab casting to cast pretty much anything... But it isn't ideal...

Personally I adore Chromecast, but it doesnt work well for some.

I want to get a Google home almost exclusively because of his it works with Chromecast....

I have an amazon echo, I got it for free as a gift from Spectrum... It is fun, and it is amazing for music and audiobooks, but it sucks at answering questions

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I was thinking about skipping FE Heroes since I don't have a phone that can run it but apparently there are some fairly robust PC android emulation options? It's a thought, at the very least.

praisegrima

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
I was thinking about skipping FE Heroes since I don't have a phone that can run it but apparently there are some fairly robust PC android emulation options? It's a thought, at the very least.

praisegrima
I use a product called Genymotion for development purposes. It's the best Android emulator I've come across. And they have a free version for messing around with: https://www.genymotion.com/fun-zone/

Socar

http://gonintendo.com/stories/272995-wii-u-3ds-lifetime-hardware-software-sales-updated-biggest-sel

Ok, what's the big idea here? How the hell did Pokemon outsell Super Mario?!?!?

NOBODY BEATS SUPER MARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, now I'm paranoid. What if Nintendo ends Mario because Pokemon is doing big?!?!?

Sure, loads of Mario games sold great on the Wii U and a lot are mentioned on the 3DS but come one man, how the hell did X/Y beat the living crap out of 3D Land?!?!? That game has the most ugliest graphics that it makes Sun/Moon look better.

Socar

That being said, I'm glad that Planet Robobot sold well as I got worried there because I enjoyed this game better than Triple Deluxe.

I'm a bit angry that Fire Emblem fates sales weren't revealed. If Nintendo says Fire Emblem is a major IP to them, then for crying out loud, mention Fates sales then!!!!!! Yeah I get that it was released before the last nine months but so are the previous games....infact, why not mention Awakening as well?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
http://gonintendo.com/stories/272995-wii-u-3ds-lifetime-hardware-software-sales-updated-biggest-sel

Ok, what's the big idea here? How the hell did Pokemon outsell Super Mario?!?!?

NOBODY BEATS SUPER MARIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, now I'm paranoid. What if Nintendo ends Mario because Pokemon is doing big?!?!?

Sure, loads of Mario games sold great on the Wii U and a lot are mentioned on the 3DS but come one man, how the hell did X/Y beat the living crap out of 3D Land?!?!? That game has the most ugliest graphics that it makes Sun/Moon look better.
Pokémon is about as synonymous as Mario these days. That's why. Whether the trading cards, the anime, or of course, the games, it's become a juggernaut in the industry, and I just know that the moment a purpose built 3D adventure on the Switch comes out, it'll be one of the biggest selling games on the platform.

sjmartin79

Anyone else have issues with the forum link on the front page today?

It took me to nintendoenthusiast.com/boards instead of forums. Thankfully the link for the forums was still in my browser history so I could link in that way.

Socar

It took me to nintendoenthusiast.com/boards instead of forums. Thankfully the link for the forums was still in my browser history so I could link in that way.
Yeah..I just had that issue too.

are we all...NINTENDOOMED!?!?!?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I just asked about it, I'll let you know what I hear.

Edit: it's fixed now. Jason also asked me whether the site felt faster, does anyone feel like it does?

Last edited:
So I just beaten Condemned, and I loved it overall. I wrote about it in the Completion thread, so I won't repeat what I said here. Instead, I just wanna say I'm happy that my backlog is getting under control.

On Steam I got 6 games in an "unfinished" list:
Doom 3
Dark Messiah
Hitman Contracts
Hyper Light Drifter
System Shock 2
Ys 2

Pretty self explanatory but these are the games I'll be playing next on Steam. Not necessarily next as in February, but more of an eventually thing. Next time I'm in the mood for a shooter it'll be Doom. Whenever I wanna play another top down action game, it'll be Ys or Drifter. Sure, I got more unfinished games on Steam like Tomb Raider 4-6, but after 3...I'm fine for a long time. I have games I got in a bundle that I'm not really interested in right now, and I have games that simply won't run that great on my laptop unless I tone everything down to make it look like a n64 game.

Besides Steam, I got Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 0/1, Bravely Default and Zelda in March. I'm gonna go with a new system now and (try) limit myself to one big game purchase per month. I bought Resident Evil Origins Collection today, so that'll be my February purchase. Next month is obvious and May will be Fire Emblem, etc.

I really don't like having a big backlog. I feel like I gotta rush through them. Now that I got just a handful of unfinished games I feel much happier. I'll start Gravity Rush 2 perhaps Sunday night and feel like I can actually take my time with it. While I didn't rush all the games I played lately, I always had that feel of "gotta play this and this and this soon". I'll be glad to just start GR2 and only think about that one.

I'm done with buying games in sales for the sake of buying them. Once I get all these cleared, I do wanna replay a bunch like Dishonored, Wolfenstein TNO, Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, etc. That said, I'll admit I feel like I've been relying on games too much as a pass time this past year. Days where I'm feeling not so good and/or my friends are all busy, it's just easy booting up a game and ignoring my problems that way. I want to draw and read more, try new recipes and work up the courage to travel.

This is probably the biggest "dear diary" type post I've written for the site. Maybe I should have use words like "dreamy".

simplyTravis

It's official folks. The Wii U is dead and has ceased production globally. I'd like you all to maybe share a memory of the Wii U in remembrance of it. For me, the Wii U was the first console I really started gaming on once I was out of college. The first night I met the Wii U was a cold night in the Georgia mountains. I was on vacation but I just had to pick it up. Icy roads be damned! I drove down to the next town in freezing weather on a whim to find the nearest Wal Mart. I rushed in wincing from the bite of the night air to look for the fabled midnight launch line. Alas, there was none. In fact, the electronics section had no clue what it was! There were some (awesome) grandparents there looking to pick up the system so I must not be making things up, they stammered. After much deliberation by the Wal-Mart employees I was whisked away to the dark, mildewy depths of their electronics storage room to enlighten them.

Now, the storage room is a sight often unseen by the common man. The manager unlocked the door and we broke through the Halo 4 boxes that seemed to be stacked like the Great Wall of Wal-Mart. Like a kid in a ball pit, I dove deep into this seemingly endless shipment of Halo games to find what I was looking for waaaay back in the corner. I grabbed the deluxe edition Wii U along with a copy of ZombiU as if there were other people there to steal away my precious. From there I was ushered back through the partially lit hallway, through the shiny electronics section, and up to wait in line behind someone with the post-midnight munchies for those little red lasers emitting that happy little beep confirming my purchase. The box slid across...slowly. Then quickly. Then at other angles. No beep. The clerks looked at the box as if it were magic because the UPC numbers would not scan. Afterwards many confused faces appeared attempting to get the upc code to scan as if it were The Sword in the Stone waiting for the Wal-Mart checker of foretold legends. This never happened. The manager sprinted forth with a key, entered in a code, and BEEP...it was mine.

So, what do you remember from the Wii U? Was it the launch? Was it perhaps a game you enjoyed? Did you meet some new friends along the way that just didn't fall in line with those other consoles? Let us know below!

Good bye...old friend.

I remembered being blue balled to hell and back when I bought it February 2013.

I bought it along with New Super Mario Bros U. February was suppose to see the release of Rayman Legends, Alien Colonial Marines Wii U version and Pikmin 3 was due out March.

Rayman got delayed til September, Pikmin in "Spring" and Aliens turned out shit and the U version cancelled.

And that's why you don't buy a system until there are games on the fucking shelf.