The Great CT - Community Thread

Yep. Good to see you here again @Lunar_Elf. Are you excited for the Switch, and do you plan on getting one?
Yes! To be honest I've mostly been hyped about Breath of the Wild, but the Nindies Direct helped fuel the Switch hype a bit more.
Shakedown Hawaii and Enter the Gungeon in particular caught my eye. Unless something comes up I'm gonna grab a Switch on Friday
along with BotW!

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Dayum! He gone and went all Dukes of Hazzard on that bitch!

...unlike DoH though, this guy did NOT drive away.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-truck-running-from-the-cops-launch-into-orbi-1792838677

Please be actual in-game music! Those indie games for the Switch looks like tons of fun. Here's hoping Picross or a new Mario vs Donkey Kong comes onboard too. Maybe even a Canvas Curse 3.
I have no idea what this game is, but I want that in my life!!! And dat music!!! Oh, man!!! THAT MUSIC!!! :mdrool:

Koenig

The Architect
So tonight is the night people, the Switch is here.

On a related note: Gineok or Owen_Koenig, which should be my Nintendo ID? You guys decide! (since some lucky bastard stole Koenig out from under my nose)

Socar

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

First I get a job, parents aren't happy with my pay, I can't buy what I want even after saving cash and they don't like me working late hours. The same goes for my bro as well...now when I want to quit and that I hate the job despite getting a somewhat better pay, parents don't want me to quit and they don't want me to do a low job. I feel that my freedom of will is abused to the point that I don't even know what I'm doing anymore.

I walk almost everyday and I still don't lose weight. I tried to talk to mom about diet but she's not convinced....the more I think about this, the more I regret that I shouldn't have done what I wanted to do.

Damn...if only I was 70 years old..then I can rest in peace.

Between the System Shock remake, Prey being similar to the 'Shock' series, and the fact I still haven't played System Shock 2 yet...what a time.

I also bought the Bioshock collection on sale with all the DLC I haven't tried yet.

Good shit. Perhaps I'll start System Shock 2 soon.

Shoulder

Between the System Shock remake, Prey being similar to the 'Shock' series, and the fact I still haven't played System Shock 2 yet...what a time.

I also bought the Bioshock collection on sale with all the DLC I haven't tried yet.

I have yet to play either System Shock game, but I do own SS2, which I did start it, but it's been awhile, so I'll restart it one of these days.

What I like about Nightdive Studios is their current history is to repurpose old games from 15-20 years ago, nd give them new life on newer systems, so SS2, and Turok 1 & 2 have all been re-released on PC recently. They were also going to do the same for No One Lives Forever, but that's in copyright limbo, and for all we know, might never get re-released. It's a serious sad state of affairs because it is one of my top 10 greatest video games of all time.

That being said, I can see NOLF being re-released on PC before Nintendo would consider localizing Mother 3.

I have yet to play either System Shock game, but I do own SS2, which I did start it, but it's been awhile, so I'll restart it one of these days.

What I like about Nightdive Studios is their current history is to repurpose old games from 15-20 years ago, nd give them new life on newer systems, so SS2, and Turok 1 & 2 have all been re-released on PC recently. They were also going to do the same for No One Lives Forever, but that's in copyright limbo, and for all we know, might never get re-released. It's a serious sad state of affairs because it is one of my top 10 greatest video games of all time.

That being said, I can see NOLF being re-released on PC before Nintendo would consider localizing Mother 3.
I really want to try out NOLF, but it looks like I might have to track down an old copy and hope modern systems can run it.

I also found another game they updated and released. It's called Strife. It runs on the Doom engine but apparently it's more open ended. There is a hub world where you can talk to people and buy stuff. There is also a stealth option. I'm interested in trying that one one day.

I love ND studios. I think it's important to at least be aware of the history of video games, so for me to actually play a lot of these classics is fine by me.

edit: Also, if you have the chance, I highly recommend at least trying System Shock: Enhanced Edition. Played it last summer and it's one of my favorite games. It helps I love the Shock games, and I had a lot of patience with it (took me hours and hours to find out how to see how much ammo I had left) but it was worth it.

Shoulder

I really want to try out NOLF, but it looks like I might have to track down an old copy and hope modern systems can run it.

I also found another game they updated and released. It's called Strife. It runs on the Doom engine but apparently it's more open ended. There is a hub world where you can talk to people and buy stuff. There is also a stealth option. I'm interested in trying that one one day.

I love ND studios. I think it's important to at least be aware of the history of video games, so for me to actually play a lot of these classics is fine by me.

edit: Also, if you have the chance, I highly recommend at least trying System Shock: Enhanced Edition. Played it last summer and it's one of my favorite games. It helps I love the Shock games, and I had a lot of patience with it (took me hours and hours to find out how to see how much ammo I had left) but it was worth it.
I've heard it takes some tinkering with some settings in the files, but it's possible to run NOLF on modern systems.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

First I get a job, parents aren't happy with my pay, I can't buy what I want even after saving cash and they don't like me working late hours. The same goes for my bro as well...now when I want to quit and that I hate the job despite getting a somewhat better pay, parents don't want me to quit and they don't want me to do a low job. I feel that my freedom of will is abused to the point that I don't even know what I'm doing anymore.

I walk almost everyday and I still don't lose weight. I tried to talk to mom about diet but she's not convinced....the more I think about this, the more I regret that I shouldn't have done what I wanted to do.

Damn...if only I was 70 years old..then I can rest in peace.
1. your parents don't want you to quit because it is poor ethics, and you don't have a back-up either
2. weight is a combination of diet, exercise, and genetics, you will also hit plateaus where you might be dieting hard and working out, but actually gain weight, it is crushing, but it happens, you just stick with it, if you give up you will continuously add more weight... welcome to the struggle.
3. cut it out

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I only played System Shock 2 this past October for your Halloween Spooktacular, and I thought it was a really good game, mostly because the weapons feel alright and the map is big but you'll get really familiar with it as you explore it back and forth, like with Metroid games.

So tonight is the night people, the Switch is here.

I only played System Shock 2 this past October for your Halloween Spooktacular, and I thought it was a really good game, mostly because the weapons feel alright and the map is big but you'll get really familiar with it as you explore it back and forth, like with Metroid games.

Perhaps you can answer my question then. I hear towards the end of the game it's possible to essentially "game over" and have to restart if you didn't put some points into certain mods.

Have you encountered any such thing?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Perhaps you can answer my question then. I hear towards the end of the game it's possible to essentially "game over" and have to restart if you didn't put some points into certain mods.

Have you encountered any such thing?
I didn't encounter that. I just put all my points into stuff that let me use the weapons I liked, while ignoring all the "plasmid" stuff.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So @EvilTw1n remember our conversation a couple years ago about boxer briefs? Have you ever tried out MeUndies by any chance?
I've only ever reached into your undies.

I just looked 'em up, and $20 a pair is a bit steep for me. I started wearing some Muji boxer-briefs this winter. I recommend 'em. The pair I bought was discontinued, but these and these are close. The cotton jersey ones are good for the winter, as they don't wick away so much of the oils in your skin that you end up chapped, but they do enough to prevent swamp ass. If you wait until a sale, they're $3.50 a pair. Well worth it.

Last edited:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
so I am doing a TV podcast tonight at 9pm pst (in 4 and a half hours) the first segment of the podcast is going to be about the legend of zelda cartoon from the 80s (first 3 episodes)

anybody want to join us?

just for the first section

I have some youtube links to the episodes

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Well, to you early buyers of the Switch: have fun! With the first ever released game getting sweeping praise left and right while being lengthy and replayable as hell, the Switch is off to a very good start. I'll have to bide my excitement for about 2-3 months, so await hearing about all of your experiences with the new console here on the NE.

Socar

1. your parents don't want you to quit because it is poor ethics, and you don't have a back-up either
2. weight is a combination of diet, exercise, and genetics, you will also hit plateaus where you might be dieting hard and working out, but actually gain weight, it is crushing, but it happens, you just stick with it, if you give up you will continuously add more weight... welcome to the struggle.
3. cut it out
1.Poor ethics? How is that poor? The pay I get is still crappy so what's the difference between the job I'm working on and the other kind of low jobs like dishwasher, plumber etc?

2. Well then what else I'm suppose to do? I walk every day morning and evening, right now I'm trying crunches and sit ups and I drink Lime water almost every single time. This is the best I can do and if that still doesn't work out, then what's the point. Mom refuses to use brown rice instead of white rice for lunch, I can't have only salads for dinner so what else I'm suppose to do?

3. You expect me to be quiet about all of what I'm going through? All of this is suppose to make me happy and things were suppose to be done in my way. Soon as I get a job, I start out my life. But no, instead I'm stuck with my parents and if I stay in a working hostel, its even worse because I won't be able to work efficiently let alone get peace of mind and on top of all this, parents still won't learn to let go.

I don't like talking to them but they force me to. So by that poor ethic logic you mentioned, if they aren't there, then I'm screwed since they are basically abusing my freedom and they do my thoughts instead of letting me think for what I want to do.

I'm even begging for that therapy that you mentioned to me and they all claim that I don't need it and that therapist will give medication that they claim that could potentially ruin my health for some reason.

So you tell me, what am I suppose to do? I thought by contributing to the game industry, I can be happy but even that isn't working out after having 24 years of hope that it will work out.

I get that you guys are trying to help me and I'm surprised that I haven't gotten banned by now(cause well, normally this is the part where most mods would warn me or something) but what I'm going through which is relatives teasing me to get married, parents bugging me here and there, lack of proper guidance, not being able to get things done the way its suppose to is pretty much making me think that my individual self has no meaning since everything besides work is spoon fed to me. Even trying to let me cook instead of my mom is a problem because she has trust issues.

Zelda got delivered to my house when no one was in, so gunna have a Switch with nothing to play on it brb kms.

But nah I'm not overly bothered should be able to grab it tomorrow; gives me more time to complete A Link Between Worlds at least.

MANGANian

1.Poor ethics? How is that poor? The pay I get is still crappy so what's the difference between the job I'm working on and the other kind of low jobs like dishwasher, plumber etc?

Soon as I get a job, I start out my life. But no, instead I'm stuck with my parents and if I stay in a working hostel, its even worse because I won't be able to work efficiently let alone get peace of mind and on top of all this, parents still won't learn to let go.
Let me get this out of the way: Freedom does not exist, and is an ideal. As long as you're interacting with people, and as long as you live in a society, then you only have privileges...something to think about.

Your parents are not gonna be happy with any job that wouldn't eventually sustain you, or doesn't give them an illusion of safety (this includes late-hour jobs). I am gonna take a guess that your parents are over-protective, so I'm gonna trust your perception and hope that you're not misunderstanding them. I have an overly-protective mother and a strict but free-spirited father, together with highly judgmental aunts and uncles, so I can at least understand a bit of what you're allegedly going through. Because I'm one of the few of my family who didn't have any issues with the school system, expectations were extremely high, and it was made very clear what they were expecting. If I'm not the Prime Minister or someone who works at the ministry then I'm not doing my life right. Becoming a police officer or anything that makes it apparent that my life will be challenged was a no-no. My mother goes out of her way to find out if my jobs resides anywhere near a highway so she can either redirect me to somewhere else or give me tons of caution tips! It is extremely frustrating, but I can understand their reasoning, despite how extreme they may be.

I don't hate my parents. In fact, they're the only people besides my siblings that I can confidently say I care about, without feeling like I'm lying to myself to avoid appearing like a sociopath. It took me years to eventually get my parents to loosen their hold on me. It probably would've gone a lot smoother if I had an open personality.

This goes with everything, really: as long as you're living with your parents and they own the house you reside, then you're gonna have to deal the privileges they allow. Yes, you can bargain with them, but ultimately know your place and know what you can smartly get away with.

I deliberately took jobs which had alternating shifts despite their arguments, but I made sure it were those which provided free transport home within a certain distance. I later got an office job which paid well. Sure, it was on one of my mother's marked "dangerzones" but I tried to offset it by saying I'm putting my achievements to good use. You should try to maintain their level of worry and control, and try not to make it seem like you're going places with no direction.

This also means avoiding leaving a job without already getting another, or at least having an adequate amount of money saved up so you wouldn't feel like a man-sized sack of potatoes at home. There is always the option to rent, but that is a really poor idea if certain requirements aren't met.
2. Well then what else I'm suppose to do? I walk every day morning and evening, right now I'm trying crunches and sit ups and I drink Lime water almost every single time. This is the best I can do and if that still doesn't work out, then what's the point. Mom refuses to use brown rice instead of white rice for lunch, I can't have only salads for dinner so what else I'm suppose to do?
Learn to cook and prepare your own meals. White rice isn't a big deal with diets if you're talking about losing weight, and if you don't have any special needs. Heck, most foods aren't. If you're practising exercise and diet to lose weight, then it's less about what you and eat, and more about how much you eat in contrast to your energy consumption. If you eat more than the energy you consume daily then you're not gonna get any results. And this is important if you want to stay a certain size. Please note that you're not gonna be losing weight overnight. It takes a lot of time if you wanna do it safely, and you'll want to only look at a scale once a week for your sanity.

A good personal trainer, or someone with a similar goal would be a plus for motivation. It's important that you lose weight gradually and don't overperform or underperform to avoid having a relapse.

3. You expect me to be quiet about all of what I'm going through? All of this is suppose to make me happy and things were suppose to be done in my way.
It do not think Matt meant this in the way you're taking it.

I'm even begging for that therapy that you mentioned to me and they all claim that I don't need it and that therapist will give medication that they claim that could potentially ruin my health for some reason.
This is a legitimate concern on your parents' part. I don't know the country you live in or your condition, but I'm going to assume that there may be some free public service for your situation. You might want to check those out but would like to be cautious about what medications they give you, and maybe consult a doctor on it.

So you tell me, what am I suppose to do? I thought by contributing to the game industry, I can be happy but even that isn't working out after having 24 years of hope that it will work out.

I get that you guys are trying to help me and I'm surprised that I haven't gotten banned by now(cause well, normally this is the part where most mods would warn me or something) but what I'm going through which is relatives teasing me to get married, parents bugging me here and there, lack of proper guidance, not being able to get things done the way its suppose to is pretty much making me think that my individual self has no meaning since everything besides work is spoon fed to me.
Welcome to the Over 16 club! Where few countries and parents never bothered to think that it might have been a good idea to use schools and their guidance to prepare you for the working world, instead of directing you into one path, and then dropping reality on your shoulders in one fell swoop.

You're not going to avoid the teasing. It's inevitable. So here's how you deal with it: you be honest with yourself and act like an asshole if they become too pressing. You can only stomach answering the same questions a certain number of times.

Even trying to let me cook instead of my mom is a problem because she has trust issues.
Okay, that is bad. Try this: approach your mom and ask her "what would I eat after you're dead, since you don't teach me to cook?" , if she outright doesn't allow you to cook.
If it's about using the stuff they buy, then buy your own and cook them yourself.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@mattavelle1 and I need some feedback from you guys.

Since one of the staples of this community is the fact that we play games together, Matt and I have been talking about creating a "Multiplayer" subforum that is home to all multiplayer game discussion and matchmaking, regardless of the system that a game belongs to. For example, a Splatoon 2 thread could sit right alongside a Switch friendcode thread, a thread asking for Street Fighter tips, and a thread looking to play together in Battlefield 1 or Overwatch.

What do you guys think?

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
@mattavelle1 and I need some feedback from you guys.

Since one of the staples of this community is the fact that we play games together, Matt and I have been talking about creating a "Multiplayer" subforum that is home to all multiplayer game discussion and matchmaking, regardless of the system that a game belongs to. For example, a Splatoon 2 thread could sit right alongside a Switch friendcode thread, a thread asking for Street Fighter tips, and a thread looking to play together in Battlefield 1 or Overwatch.

What do you guys think?
Excellent idea. I'm all for it.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I'm thinking that perhaps I should move my Wii U down a shelf so that my Switch is on the top shelf, making it easier to get the thing in and out of the dock.

Only played like 40 minutes of Zelda, but I love it already. It's bright, colorful, and feels pretty good. Didn't take me long to adapt to using the smol controller, but I might get a Pro just to have options.

Also it seems my Switch refuses to download updates while docked, so I may want to grab a USB ethernet adaptor for in the future.

I feel like the same little girl who got her first gameboy over 20 years ago. It's that new console feeling, I guess. Or maybe Zelda at launch.

praisegrima

Socar

Ok so I bought a bunch of comic books and I'm wondering....is it possible that I can make money out of them by getting some royalties in comic book stores?

MANGANian

I have never £_×{!♤& heard of this %^$##%#$ guy!
He specialise in reviewing Nintendo-related things, but from time to time he posts generally game-related stuff, in a form of rants. Think of him like the AngryVideoGameNerd.

---
Which motherboards go good together with the Intel G4560? And is there a better but similarly or lower-priced alternative for the G4560? Personally I'm an Intel guy, but I've been hearing less and less bad things about AMD products recently. As for the context, I'm looking for a processor which doesn't bottleneck the 1050Ti too hard, since both my motherboard and processor are ancient.