The Great CT - Community Thread

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Our top Wii U games list is up
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/best-of-the-wii-u.4035/
the top 10 is in a podcast I recorded with Will and Alex

This edition of The ol' Switcheroo podcast features TVEnthusiast's Will and Tyson, as well as The Nintendo Enthusiast's Alex. The 3 gathered to discuss the top 10 Wii U games, as picked by The Nintendo Enthusiast Forums, and to share their impressions of Nintendo's Switch, now that they have each had one for more than a month. Zelda lovers fear not, the group will gather next to discuss Breath of the Wild.​

Socar

theMightyME

Anyways just for the sake of changing the subject...

Why was Samurai Jack under a very long hiatus to begin with?
It wasn't in hiatus, it wasn't renewed, and then they decided to revive it... It is happening a lot... X Files, Heroes, Prison Break... Hell, next month Twin Peaks returns... Fucking Twin Peaks, a show that was canceled 26 years ago

Socar

It wasn't in hiatus, it wasn't renewed, and then they decided to revive it... It is happening a lot... X Files, Heroes, Prison Break... Hell, next month Twin Peaks returns... Fucking Twin Peaks, a show that was canceled 26 years ago
If you ask me, that right there sounds like they wanted to leave it aside. Season 5 is really...really different than the last season where Jack just hands over the baby and leaves...what happening during that time? I'm sure all will be revealed later on but to just leave it like that unfinished and letting their fans beg for the ending is just depressing...

theMightyME

If you ask me, that right there sounds like they wanted to leave it aside. Season 5 is really...really different than the last season where Jack just hands over the baby and leaves...what happening during that time? I'm sure all will be revealed later on but to just leave it like that unfinished and letting their fans beg for the ending is just depressing...
Don't watch much tv do you? Shows routinely end without closure, show revivals is a new trend...thanks largely to the exponential growth of the industry, and some of Netflix 's early original deals

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I have less time to play games these days and it makes me sad : (
I can definitely understand that. March and April were bat-shit crazy with my schedule, and if it weren't for the portability of the Switch, I would have had minimal time for gaming.

I hope you schedule frees up enough for some down-time game-time. :)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

(Tbh, the port is far less exciting than knowing that the game's mess of a development structure - made by Mikami-san and Straight Story under a deal with Platinum getting development cred and the publishing rights being owned by Sega - may not be a permanent blockade for future plans for the game/IP. The complicating factor was/is Mikami, having been an "external" board member at Platinum and then leaving; it's never been entirely clear what rights he would have kept for the IP. But he sounds like a reasonable dude. I had hoped that the situation was more a royalties thing than an IP ownership thing; a port possibly existing would seem to point in that direction. Even a port with new enemies would be something spectacular.)

Last edited:

Odo

Decided to get Kirby's Dream Land and got the serial number.....

Time to post top 5 Nintendo IPs of your favorites

1. Mario: What can I say? Dude's awesome, his games are simple to play while at the same time have challenges here and there and just has lovable characters. Most of the levels that I play in Super Mario games are fresh and creative and has a lot of diversity around.

Levels have a lot of variety and the ones in Super Mario Maker prove this. Sure, the level's background and visuals along with the names may not be anywhere as memorable as say the ones in Sonic but they are still fun to play and its quite easy to get accustomed to his games. I like how the Mario games have their unique quirkiness and how each enemy has its own uniqueness in them that most platform games don't seem to have

The dude also does a whole lot to the platforming genre compared to the other guys out there. Super Mario 64...lots of memories here and the same for Sunshine and Galaxy too!

But no he doesn't stop there. He goes even further having spin offs that somehow are on par with his main games. I love the RPG series and the M Vs DK series too alongside the Party ones and who can forget the kart series too!

His personality may look simple but sometimes, simple characters are all that's needed to make an awesome IP blend in together.

2. Kirby: Kirby is pretty much the same as Mario only the guy is a cute copy cat. I love the abilities that each game gives out and how the games tend to have a little bit more of a replay value compared to Mario.

And before anyone here rants on how easy Kirby games are....I think you need to understand what platform games are really. Platform games were never meant to be hard, they were meant to be played short and simple which is why mastering comes to play. Think of any platform game that you find hard and I can easily tell you that its not that hard. Sure, there are some exceptions that games like Rayman(the first one) are pretty hard but when you really think about it, when these games have precise and floaty controls, all it takes is a bit of practice and you can easily master it. Never do platform games force you to do anything complex otherwise its a design flaw.

Kirby games don't have any of that complexity. They were never meant to be complex. The simplicity is what makes them great and I'm really fine with that. And just like Mario, even when you include the spin offs, there aren't that many bad Kirby games out there and I can't think of one...

Kirby may not be as big as Mario but he can sure as hell come close with only five years behind I mean just look at this!!!!!!!
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/wp-content/gallery/kirby-merchandise-21-04-2017/1.jpg

3. Fire Emblem: Damn....one of the IPs that I should have played earlier from the start! I remember playing a game like the battle of wesnoth and it just bored me and I just skipped it. Then I got a suggestion to play Fire Emblem Awakening and so I got the game and this would be my first time venturing into fire emblem.

When I first played Awakening, I got insanely hooked and its not just how the gameplay plays, every single character that you get has a liking to you and you grow attached to these characters because of how each of them has a charm. Even playing on Casual mode, I couldn't bear to see characters be defeated...mentally and I spam the reset button most of the time. After I beated the game, I knew that I had to get more into the series.

I just love how the games are a mix between Tactics and RPG. Awakening doesn't have the tactical limitation but when I played the other games, I quickly fell in love with this IP and I keep regretting that I should have gotten into it the moment it started.

There are a lot of other things in mind, like how well maps are designed, how a lot of thought is given to make such moves and how there's a lot of mission objective variety in each games.

In every FE game that I've played including even the frustrating ones (Binding Blade) and the most boring ones ( Birthright) the games are still consistently good and that's really something for a game under a niche genre.

So yeah, my top 3 pick!

4. Legend of Zelda:

Zelda is something that I started liking after I got myself Phantom Hourglass which to me is my absolute favorite Zelda game. I love how each Zelda game is in different worlds and environments that you can explore.

But the thing I love about Zelda is puzzles...those damn cryptic puzzles or simple puzzles that force you to think out of the box. As far as adventure games go, Zelda's the Babe!

Zelda may not be as hooking as the other games but its still a series that I can still get into. I can't wait to get Botw when I get the Switch!

5. Pokemon:

Oh Pokemon.....you are the most favored RPGs to me.

I just love Pokemon for two reasons. Simplicity and accomplishment.

Simplicity as in the most simple to play RPGs out there. Types that are easy to know and the strategies offered being in the most simplistic manner yet despite this, there is a lot of challenge. and its one of those that has one thing in mind..Become the best, that's it.

Accomplishment as in catching pokemon types, completing your pokedex(which I have never done but still a fun thing to do) and getting gym badges or other things.

And then comes the main thing. Pokemon. I love how each and every pokemon are different and how you can use different types to improve on your strategies. Some pokemon are hard to get but are rewarding but others are simple but take a lot of effort to train to be the best. It all comes down to how much of effort you do to make the best of your team and the pokemon you train reflect your efforts.

Its not like in other RPGs where to beat the final boss, grinding is the only way to win to get happy endings and what not. In pokemon, grinding is not the way to do it because there's also strategy that plays a role. I can tell that there are times that I used a legendary pokemon and somehow, the champions I face managed to beat it despite its level being a bit higher.

I've never done trading in any of the pokemon games but the concept sounds like a fun thing to do.

Many RPGs these days are about story and nothing else even Xenoblade was just on Story as good of a game as it is...but Pokemon just makes me feel like I'm playing both a story and a game as well. and Hoenn is my favorite region period!

Sure, now pokemon games graphically are yet to improve but meh..its not that big a deal.

Those are my top fives! if you want to know my honorable mentions, let me know.
Mine

1. Pokemon
2. Fire Emblem
3. Zelda
4. Kirby
5. Mario Kart

I find it funny and also a little bit sad that in many companies efforts to maximize profits by plastering websites with obnoxious advertisements, they have driven so many people to use ad blockers and thus reduce the total return of adds across the board. If it keeps up, site owners may not be able to rely on add revenue at all and ultimately break the system altogether. Hopefully more advertisers and site owners learn to be moderate with their advertisements, else they kill the golden goose.

GaemzDood

My top 5 Nintendo IPs are IPs that Nintendo seems to have no clue what they're doing with them, and only two of them aren't arcade style.

1. Metroid
This one definitely fits the bill, if Other M and Federation Force are any indication. I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to see out of Metroid Prime 4, but considering this series isn't too profitable for Nintendo, I can't see them investing in another AAA Metroid title.

2. Sin and Punishment
Star Successor is one of my favorite Wii games of all time, hands down. It's the ultimate git gud bullet hell rail shooter.

3. Star Fox
Between Krystal, the games that have on foot missions, and Zero's broken control scheme (I still maintain that Zero had potential though, especially with its amazing co-op mode), I'm 100% sure that Nintendo isn't sure what to do with this franchise either. That being said, Star Fox Adventures is still technically a good game and definitely a technology beast for the GameCube, with its extensive use of bump mapping, refraction/reflection maps (SFA's water > Blood Wake's), high poly character models, and fillrate heavy areas (Krazoa Palace, which was apparently one of the easier levels to get running on the GCN).

4. F-Zero
This one is only on here because of GX alone, which isn't even an internally developed Nintendo game.

5. Battalion Wars
I freaking love Battalion Wars. The mix of on the fly squad controls, battlefield manipulation including being able to switch between squad members (something other "tactical" shooters like Rainbow Six: Vegas didn't allow), and just the amount of on screen NPCs and shit going on puts the Warriors games to shame. People are talking about Nintendo's only proper co-op and online shooter being god damn Splatoon, but a Battalion Wars game as hectic and destructible as Battlefield would be oh my god tier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My top 5 Nintendo IPs are IPs that Nintendo seems to have no clue what they're doing with them, and only two of them aren't arcade style.

1. Metroid
This one definitely fits the bill, if Other M and Federation Force are any indication. I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to see out of Metroid Prime 4, but considering this series isn't too profitable for Nintendo, I can't see them investing in another AAA Metroid title.

2. Sin and Punishment
Star Successor is one of my favorite Wii games of all time, hands down. It's the ultimate git gud bullet hell rail shooter.

3. Star Fox
Between Krystal, the games that have on foot missions, and Zero's broken control scheme (I still maintain that Zero had potential though, especially with its amazing co-op mode), I'm 100% sure that Nintendo isn't sure what to do with this franchise either. That being said, Star Fox Adventures is still technically a good game and definitely a technology beast for the GameCube, with its extensive use of bump mapping, refraction/reflection maps (SFA's water > Blood Wake's), high poly character models, and fillrate heavy areas (Krazoa Palace, which was apparently one of the easier levels to get running on the GCN).

4. F-Zero
This one is only on here because of GX alone, which isn't even an internally developed Nintendo game.

5. Battalion Wars
I freaking love Battalion Wars. The mix of on the fly squad controls, battlefield manipulation including being able to switch between squad members (something other "tactical" shooters like Rainbow Six: Vegas didn't allow), and just the amount of on screen NPCs and shit going on puts the Warriors games to shame. People are talking about Nintendo's only proper co-op and online shooter being god damn Splatoon, but a Battalion Wars game as hectic and destructible as Battlefield would be oh my god tier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
I can say is I feel the same for these titles.

theMightyME

my top nintendo franchises/IPs btw
5. Xeno - adored XBC, old fan of XG, though XCX was a bit of a let down for me
4. Splatoon - 1 entry in, and I am already in love
3. Mario Kart - been mixed on this franchise, but 8 came along and sealed the deal forever
2. Metroid - super metroid was my favorite game of all time for years
1. Zelda - even before BOTW overtook SM for me... Zelda was my favorite overall franchise in gaming

Socar

I have less time to play games these days and it makes me sad : (
Depends on what type of games you'd play. If your talking about platform games, completing one level a day will hardly cost 5 minutes.

Its the other genres where you have to spend more than 1 hour though.

Don't you have weekends to compensate for gaming?

Socar

my top nintendo franchises/IPs btw
5. Xeno - adored XBC, old fan of XG, though XCX was a bit of a let down for me
4. Splatoon - 1 entry in, and I am already in love
3. Mario Kart - been mixed on this franchise, but 8 came along and sealed the deal forever
2. Metroid - super metroid was my favorite game of all time for years
1. Zelda - even before BOTW overtook SM for me... Zelda was my favorite overall franchise in gaming
What's your opinion on Zero Mission & Fusion? I love Fusion.

Metroid is one of my honorable mentions...and the reason for that is because of two things.

1. I'm more of the 2D metroid games. Never gotten into the prime ones.
2. The IP is under hiatus.

Odo

I just know there's so much good shit to enjoy, Zelda gunna take me forever lol
That's the problem with big games. One way to deal with it is play smaller games while you play the big ones.

I usually play three or four games, 1 big meal and 2 or 3 snacks. One of those snacks usually is an online multiplayer or massive multiplayer game.

Last year my big meal was XCX and my online snack was Splatoon. My other 2 snacks were small games that I took 3 to 4 weeks to beat. So every month I was beating 2 or 3 games while I was having my weekly Splatoon fix.

If you can't deal with many games simultaneously and your backlog is huge, you're in trouble.

I'm so used to that system that nowadays I can't keep playing just one game. One isn't enough for me, I need at least 3. One game is boring no matter how great it is.

1400 line assembly code project: Done.

Now to get my other 6 assignments done by Wednesday Night, another Major project done by Friday, and my other two Group projects done by May.

GaemzDood

People need to stop acting like developers putting politics in their games is anything new. Metal Wolf Chaos was a parody of the U.S. military industrial complex, which I find to be utterly hilarious, and Armored Core is an anarcho-capialist dystopia, which I find to be incredibly stupid.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Whether people want to admit it or not, politics are an integral part of every artistic and creative medium; whether or not the creators intend it, their views, idea's, and feelings are generally reflected in the work they create. To demand that such things be removed from games is effectively the same as saying the game should not exist.

theMightyME

What's that suppose to mean?
for example they run their AI neural network through youtube frequently to see what it can identify, and then create patterns by which google can make similar matches with less powerful hardware....

as a result of that if you have pictures stores on google and search google (while logged in) for say... "my pictures of cats" google can run through your images and identify cats and return those results.... when it does that it isn't pinging its neural network, but the neural network created a hash based on what it interprets a cat to be, and that hash can then be used by less powerful hardware to make similar observations...

the future of google is in AI, and google uses youtube as a source of "food" for their AI systems...

but it goes beyond that as well, youtube is linked to their subscription music service, and linked to any video purchases made through google play, they replaced hangouts on air video conferencing with youtube live as well, youtube is DEEPLY embeded in all things google, you cannot just excise something like that from the company

even if youtube isn't profitable, it still has other purposes for the company... and who is to say that any lapse in profitability would be permanent?

youtube, right now, is the leader in user generated video streaming, as well as the leading source of music for most kids these days, it is the only successful social network the company has ever been able to get off the ground (and they have tried ALLOT... the google campus is littered with the corpses of failed social networks)

all of that also must be understood with the nature of silicon valley in general, which is that most silicon valley companies are not profitable, and the huge mega companies were not initially profitable at all... it took amazon like over 10 years to become profitable... so low profitability just doesn't do much to stop these behemouths when they have their hands in so many things.

Heres hoping for a blowout at E3 for Nintendo. So far we have mario, splatoon, xenoblade, and a small handfull of ports on the radar, so if Nintendo can add more fuel to the fire in the form of a few more releases to expect in 2018 and additional info in 2017, they could make one of their stronger showings in years.

Ill just cross my fingers for the Metroid game that will never come...

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Heres hoping for a blowout at E3 for Nintendo. So far we have mario, splatoon, xenoblade, and a small handfull of ports on the radar, so if Nintendo can add more fuel to the fire in the form of a few more releases to expect in 2018 and additional info in 2017, they could make one of their stronger showings in years.

Ill just cross my fingers for the Metroid game that will never come...
Watch, they pull a Breath of the Wild, and only Super Mario Odyssey will be featured and playable during E3. :mmischief:

Watch, they pull a Breath of the Wild, and only Super Mario Odyssey will be featured and playable during E3. :mmischief:
ehhh...I can't say I would be too thrilled for that. Unless Mario Odyssey has a much grander scope than we have been shown so far, I don't think such an event would work nearly as well as the BoTW super event we had last year.