The Great CT - Community Thread

So far, what are y'alls thoughts on Splatoon and Arms? Likewise if you had to chooses between the two, which one would you pick?
ARMS has yet to disappoint me in one way or another, in fact its done everything to get me more excited with each news drop.
Spla2n has disappointed me, with the news that they are keeping their online pretty much exactly the same as it was in the past.
So just on technicality, I'm gonna have to go with ARMS. It's new, exciting, and coming very soon. Also has more waifus.

Choosing between the 2 is pretty dumb, though. Spla2n is of a known quality, and the single-player looks really fun too. Happy to see that Callie got so destroyed by being confirmed worst-squid that she turned to the darkside. What a POS character :^)

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I loved the first splatoon, so 2 is a no brainier though I had some issues with the test fire, like the jump button change

Arms is looking more interesting every time I see it, but i'll reserve whether or not i am interested until I have played the test punch

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So far, what are y'alls thoughts on Splatoon and Arms? Likewise if you had to chooses between the two, which one would you pick?
I loved Splatoon so Splatoon 2 is a game I'm extremely excited for. Arms has gone from an "I'm not sure" to a "yes definitely".

If I had to choose, I would go with the known quantity.
Thank goodness I don't have to choose.

Just an FYI for those wondering why I added the second point of "If you had to choose one", it is because I likely will not be able to afford more than one game in the next few months, and would like to make sure it is one I can play with y'all.

Just an FYI for those wondering why I added the second point of "If you had to choose one", it is because I likely will not be able to afford more than one game in the next few months, and would like to make sure it is one I can play with y'all.
Wow, if only you had won a contest or something guaranteeing you a free game.
Oh well

sjmartin79

Hello TNE Family!

Steve2 and I put in a bid on a house last night, and this morning on our drive to Disney, it was accepted! We're super excited! This was the first big step toward our goal of being able to adopt a child in the next year.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Can anything be done to make desert/sandy levels fun? Why do these levels always feel boring in platform games?
I think you can pack them with interesting mechanics. SMB3 has those levels where the sun chases you, those are pretty fun. Mario Odyssey has one where you can ride a big cat all over the desert and there's a pyramid that looks like it comes out of the ground and you can go inside it as well. So I think dessert levels can be fun sometimes, it just depends on the creativity of the designers.

theMightyME

in that case your best bet is probably splatoon 2, that game is guranteed to have players here

Socar

By doing that, you do realize that you have the potential to miss out on another good game right? And being a new IP and all, that is even more interesting to say the least.

If you ask me, you should always vote with your wallet moreso than listening to other people's opinions because its about what pleases you not others. Others can only suggest you to try out games that you might want to try.

Like I can't for the life of me can't get myself into Dragon Quest. If you like it, you can only suggest me to try it not force me to do so.

theMightyME

By doing that, you do realize that you have the potential to miss out on another good game right? And being a new IP and all, that is even more interesting to say the least.

If you ask me, you should always vote with your wallet moreso than listening to other people's opinions because its about what pleases you not others. Others can only suggest you to try out games that you might want to try.

Like I can't for the life of me can't get myself into Dragon Quest. If you like it, you can only suggest me to try it not force me to do so.
he is interested in both, but primarily interested in the opportunity of playing online, mostly with other people here, so he is asking which games will be the most likely to be popular HERE as an online game...

he is still making his own choice, he is just seeking perspective before deciding

pickign for yourself is good, but when your motivation is to play online with others you have to consider what others will be playing when making such a choice...

I will FOR SURE be playing Splatoon... and MAYBE playing Arms online

I know Matt will probably spend every waking moment not with his family or at work playing Splatoon, bob rossing it up... and msot others here seem to be happy splatoon players...

right now that would make splatoon 2 the safest bet...

that being said... splatoon 2 comes out much later, and Arms being an unknown quanitity also means it could have possitive surprises ins tore...

the best option is to wait and see... they don't come otu at the same time

I didn't get the first splatoon for like 3-4 weeks after it came out... I will probably take the same approach with arms... splatoon 2 is day 1 for me because I know what to expect

doesn't mean splatoon 2 will be the better game, or even offer the better online experience...

but if I could only get 1, I would wait and see what reactions are like.. I would play the test punch to see if it fits my own interests... then I would maybe wait even longer just to be sure... thankfully if I decided against it I could pick up splatoon 2 on day 1 as the games come out like a month apart.

I imagien I'll end up getting both...

this is my current switch list (legend at the bottom)

May 23rd
*Disgaea 5 Complete

May 26th
$Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

June 16th
+Arms

July 21st
*Splatoon 2

TBD
+Super Mario Oddysey
+Tales of ?
+Octopath Traveler
+Shin Megami Tensei ?
*Xenoblade Chronicles 2
+Steamworld Dig 2
;Runner 3
+Pocket Rumble
+Flipping Death
;Wargroove
+No More Heroes ?
+Dragon Quest 11
+Fire Emblem Switch

* - must buy
+ - in heavy consideration
; - considering
$ - waiting for budget option

those are all games that are already out... I am also considering Thumper... that would be a + right now for heavy consideration

GaemzDood

So I'm playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and holy shit it is good. Intelligent Systems, please make a sequel to this game for the love of god.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So I'm playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and holy shit it is good. Intelligent Systems, please make a sequel to this game for the love of god.

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
Just making another Advanced/Battalion Wars would make me happy. The series has long since left in the shadow of its big bro Fire Emblem.

theMightyME

So graphics enthusiasts... Any thoughts on Google's new render technique.... It isn't really game focused per se... But COULD work in some game, i imagine... Like rail shooters

Or even to do some epic set pieces in the background

Socar

So graphics enthusiasts... Any thoughts on Google's new render technique.... It isn't really game focused per se... But COULD work in some game, i imagine... Like rail shooters

The more power it requires, the more the battery will drain. I'd rather they just make graphics that don't require too much power.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

This is my first time hearing about it, so I tried to find some reading. Im not sure if I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem particularly revolutionary.

My understanding is that it is a very good optimization tool for largely static scenes. It could be useful in helping some developers create visually impressive scenes, but I don't think it's going to do anything you couldn't already have done with time and careful planning.

theMightyME

This is my first time hearing about it, so I tried to find some reading. Im not sure if I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem particularly revolutionary.

My understanding is that it is a very good optimization tool for largely static scenes. It could be useful in helping some developers create visually impressive scenes, but I don't think it's going to do anything you couldn't already have done with time and careful planning.
this tiny video shows what it is actually doing

which is why I said it could work for something like background set pieces in games where you can't reach the background.. or for on rails games... the main thing is that you can create visuals that go beyond what is possible on the most advanced gaming pc, and put them on a mobile vr headset

the full video showing it (and googles other vr and ar plans is here

the relevant stuff starts at around 27:45

oh and for extra fun... the guy who did the headtracking wii remote demo like 10 years ago is one of the presenters in a different segment

Last edited:

DarkDepths

this tiny video shows what it is actually doing

which is why I said it could work for something like background set pieces in games where you can't reach the background.. or for on rails games... the main thing is that you can create visuals that go beyond what is possible on the most advanced gaming pc, and put them on a mobile vr headset

the full video showing it (and googles other vr and ar plans is here

the relevant stuff starts at around 27:45

oh and for extra fun... the guy who did the headtracking wii remote demo like 10 years ago is one of the presenters in a different segment
Right. I hadn't seen that second video but it basically just confirms what I thought: it's not a new rendering technique or revolutionary idea. It's a workflow tool to help make easy what humans have been doing more manually for years.

theMightyME

Right. I hadn't seen that second video but it basically just confirms what I thought: it's not a new rendering technique or revolutionary idea. It's a workflow tool to help make easy what humans have been doing more manually for years.
I saw it more a like a facade maker

which would give it limited usage in bigger more open games.. but for the background of a fighting game, or the far background of a level in a more structured game, or for use in an on rails game it should be able to push visuals WAY beyond what the best computers provide on some very low spec devices....

it probably wouldn't be great if there are dynamic weather effects or time changes, but in a game like say... bayonetta where everythign is kind fo fixed... it could create some stunning visuals

the picture I found most interesting was this

I feel that you saw it more as a poly saving tool to do these kind of things

but I see it more like a facade maker...

DarkDepths

I saw it more a like a facade maker

which would give it limited usage in bigger more open games.. but for the background of a fighting game, or the far background of a level in a more structured game, or for use in an on rails game it should be able to push visuals WAY beyond what the best computers provide on some very low spec devices....

it probably wouldn't be great if there are dynamic weather effects or time changes, but in a game like say... bayonetta where everythign is kind fo fixed... it could create some stunning visuals

the picture I found most interesting was this

I feel that you saw it more as a poly saving tool to do these kind of things

but I see it more like a facade maker...
That's not really what I was thinking of. It seems to me that 2 big parts of what google is doing are: mesh simplification and removal of unseable geometry, and baked shading.

Again, people already do both of these. I think what google is doing is making this process fully automated so that you don't have to manually scale assets. That's valuable, but already accomplishable with lots of time and effort, as opposed to a new rendering technique that opens up new possibilities (like programmable pipelines did back in the day)

theMightyME

That's not really what I was thinking of. It seems to me that 2 big parts of what google is doing are: mesh simplification and removal of unseable geometry, and baked shading.

Again, people already do both of these. I think what google is doing is making this process fully automated so that you don't have to manually scale assets. That's valuable, but already accomplishable with lots of time and effort, as opposed to a new rendering technique that opens up new possibilities (like programmable pipelines did back in the day)
That means that it is kind of revolutionary, as an automated process... It means developers can shoot for even higher goals and save tons of man hours... It is either out or coming soon to both unity and unreal

Odo

Not really sure how I feel about it; half of the titles like Chrono Trigger, WoW, Pokemon, and FFVI make sense given their respective success/cultural impact, but most of the other ones felt a bit subjective in the larger scheme of things.
Yeah, some of them I've never heard about

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah, some of them I've never heard about
Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment are widely regarded by the PC community as some of the very best CRPGs, and Diablo 2 shouldn't be surprising either. I think the only real outlier I saw in there was Vagrant Story, which admittedly I didn't finish, but still never really seemed to me like an excellent game, just a good one. I would have much rather replaced that with Xenoblade 1.

theMightyME

Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment are widely regarded by the PC community as some of the very best CRPGs, and Diablo 2 shouldn't be surprising either. I think the only real outlier I saw in there was Vagrant Story, which admittedly I didn't finish, but still never really seemed to me like an excellent game, just a good one. I would have much rather replaced that with Xenoblade 1.
xenogears is in their top 100 and they said 1 game per franchise, qualifying all of xeno as a franchise...

shadow hearts covenant made the list if I remember correctly, but way lower than it should have... 1 of the most underappreciated rpgs ever

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I hate family. Worst thing to ever happen is getting into a family.
Don't get the impression that it is family itself what is the problem. Based on your previous posts, it seems to boil down to your particular family, specifically your parents, and probably why you feel this way. Not all families are like this. Don't get the impression that the idea of a family is the problem.

Just remember though: You can choose your friends, but you cannot choose your family.

sjmartin79

I know it probably doesn't mean anything, but...

On My Nintendo, sometimes my Mii would be playing his SNES and if you touched it and turned it off, he'd get mad.

In the past, he's always been playing Mario Kart, since MK8D was announced.

This morning, he was playing Super Metroid.

Now, I don't know if this is new, just that I had never seen him playing Super Metroid before.

So, my mind immediately went to speculation that this was Nintendo's subtle hint about upcoming Metroid news.

Could be totally off base, or this could be very "Nintendo" of them.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I know it probably doesn't mean anything, but...

On My Nintendo, sometimes my Mii would be playing his SNES and if you touched it and turned it off, he'd get mad.

In the past, he's always been playing Mario Kart, since MK8D was announced.

This morning, he was playing Super Metroid.

Now, I don't know if this is new, just that I had never seen him playing Super Metroid before.

So, my mind immediately went to speculation that this was Nintendo's subtle hint about upcoming Metroid news.

Could be totally off base, or this could be very "Nintendo" of them.
How did y'all get your miis for your online Switch profile pictures?

Socar

Don't get the impression that it is family itself what is the problem. Based on your previous posts, it seems to boil down to your particular family, specifically your parents, and probably why you feel this way. Not all families are like this. Don't get the impression that the idea of a family is the problem.

Just remember though: You can choose your friends, but you cannot choose your family.
Family is practically a problem. Many don't know how to raise kids, others can't afford proper education to their young ones. Its family that is indeed a problem at the real world.

Let's also not forget that families are part of the video game banning controversy.