The Great CT - Community Thread

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yes, pls!

But wait:

"Personally, I'd love to do Advance Wars, but since it's harder to create relationships between its characters compared to Fire Emblem, I don't have a clear idea of what kind of setting it could have."

Relationship? Why?

Why do they want relationships?

Intelligent Systems now only think about waifus and free-service relationships?

After FE Awakening, they should've changed their name to Relationship Systems.
That was exactly my thought process. Why would Advance Wars need relationships? I'd rather it have more strategic depth and good online pvp instead of RPG mechanics and kawaii character relationships.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Yes, I'm going back this year. Leaving on Friday, and will be back on the 12th. It's going to be awesome once again. :mgrin::mgrin::mgrin::mgrin:

Well, I guess somebody has to translate for Guy Martin. Might as well be you.

I'm super jealous. The dude who lives in the apartment above me really wanted to go this year, but had a run of bad luck. If he goes next year, and you go next year, I'd go just to get hammered in the old country.

Good man, I still lurk here from time to time; mostly just this thread now. I'm still occupied with Smash tournaments; going to a big one in Paris this weekend actually so looking forward to that :mthumb: I'm sure you are well?
More or less. Still trying to find a job over the summer to raise capital for the fall semester as well as support my gaming hobbies. Currently I am uber excited for Monster Hunter XX coming to the Switch; any chance you will join the TNE crew with that when it comes out? (Compatible with both 3DS and Switch)

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I bought a 64 gb memory card because my phone is finally out of room. Transferred pictures and all music to the memory card. Spent like half an hour clearing cache from stuff I don't use.

...and I somehow still have 10.87 GB of cached data. I'm tempted to clear it all, but...if anything happens to my Puzzle and Dragons save data, I'mma be the saddest panda of all.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'm quite upset with myself right now.

So as some of you might remember, my grandmother passed away in January, and I sometimes still feel some of that grief holding on at times. Well, in preparation for my upcoming trip, I was going through my memory cards to make sure anything that I had on there was transferred over already.

So, back in Xmas of 2015, my family and I went to go visit her, and we chatted, had a good time, and I took some pictures of her, and with the family and whatnot. My plan was to take those photos, send them to my Mom so we could have that memory of when we went to go visit her. Fast forward to today, and I realized that the photos I took of her and my family that day only exist in preview form, with no actual photo to save, transfer, or upload. I searched through all my memory cards, and came up zip. What appeared to happen was during when I was switching laptops, some of my photos that were uploaded during a certain time span (summer 2015 through January of 2016 thereabouts), the photos never got archived because I did not permanently save them. I've now lost hundreds of photos because of it, but the only photos I care about are the ones with my grandmother in them. I also realized that they were some of the only photos I ever took of her. Any other photos of her were usually taken by others.

Like my grandmother, those photos of her are now likely gone forever. I still have my memories of her, but sometimes a photo can speak a lot about your experience at that point. It turns a mental detail of a memory into a physical image that you can view for all time, and for others to see.

I'm still trying to see if I could figure out some way to save them, or if I have them stored someplace else, but I'm not holding my breath. :msad:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I'm quite upset with myself right now.

So as some of you might remember, my grandmother passed away in January, and I sometimes still feel some of that grief holding on at times. Well, in preparation for my upcoming trip, I was going through my memory cards to make sure anything that I had on there was transferred over already.

So, back in Xmas of 2015, my family and I went to go visit her, and we chatted, had a good time, and I took some pictures of her, and with the family and whatnot. My plan was to take those photos, send them to my Mom so we could have that memory of when we went to go visit her. Fast forward to today, and I realized that the photos I took of her and my family that day only exist in preview form, with no actual photo to save, transfer, or upload. I searched through all my memory cards, and came up zip. What appeared to happen was during when I was switching laptops, some of my photos that were uploaded during a certain time span (summer 2015 through January of 2016 thereabouts), the photos never got archived because I did not permanently save them. I've now lost hundreds of photos because of it, but the only photos I care about are the ones with my grandmother in them. I also realized that they were some of the only photos I ever took of her. Any other photos of her were usually taken by others.

Like my grandmother, those photos of her are now likely gone forever. I still have my memories of her, but sometimes a photo can speak a lot about your experience at that point. It turns a mental detail of a memory into a physical image that you can view for all time, and for others to see.

I'm still trying to see if I could figure out some way to save them, or if I have them stored someplace else, but I'm not holding my breath. :msad:
Man, that's terrible. There are some services that can restore deleted data that might be able to help you out. I've never used them though. When you say preview form are you talking about a thumbnail? If you have one of those files feel free to send one my way and I can see if I can make it in a viewable form for you.

Socar

Yes, pls!

But wait:

"Personally, I'd love to do Advance Wars, but since it's harder to create relationships between its characters compared to Fire Emblem, I don't have a clear idea of what kind of setting it could have."

Relationship? Why?

My guess to this is that when you compare Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, both games are very similar with the only difference that Wars doesn't have tactical limitations, simulations and RPG mechanics unlike FE and FE doesn't give generic units to you but actual characters that you grow with.

Remeber that by now, not many people will be aware of Advance Wars existing so if a new game comes out, people can easily compare it to Fire Emblem and bash it for not being anything like FE.

That was exactly my thought process. Why would Advance Wars need relationships? I'd rather it have more strategic depth and good online pvp instead of RPG mechanics and kawaii character relationships.
It surprises me that they have lost sight of that. Granted I am all for having a good over arching story with the commanding characters like in days of ruin; but the grunts on the field DO NOT NEED to be a freaking life simulator; it goes against the entire core aspects that made the series unique from fire emblem.

Socar

It surprises me that they have lost sight of that. Granted I am all for having a good over arching story with the commanding characters like in days of ruin; but the grunts on the field DO NOT NEED to be a freaking life simulator; it goes against the entire core aspects that made the series unique from fire emblem.
Yeah...it really does make you wonder what's really happening inside Nintendo sometimes. Although in this case, whether they do it or not doesn't matter since the IP is dormant now and dormant IPs are harder to make profit unless well done like Uprising.

More or less. Still trying to find a job over the summer to raise capital for the fall semester as well as support my gaming hobbies. Currently I am uber excited for Monster Hunter XX coming to the Switch; any chance you will join the TNE crew with that when it comes out? (Compatible with both 3DS and Switch)
I don't really have much time for games these days so i have to really be invested in a game/series. I dedicate my time for travelling for Smash tournies, work and college so ya...lol. Monster Hunter I've decided isn't really one for me :V

Aki

I don't really have much time for games these days so i have to really be invested in a game/series. I dedicate my time for travelling for Smash tournies, work and college so ya...lol. Monster Hunter I've decided isn't really one for me :V
What's that like? The tourneys and stuff?

Also, good to see you my man. I hope everything is well. I really hope you found that girl that you've been looking for lol.

Shoulder

Trump is an arse, but all this covfefe thing is priceless.

That is hilarious!

I know this is more a topic for the Politics thread, but I don't believe for a second that covfefe is some secret jargon that only Drumpf, and his cronies know. Drumpf pure and simply was being an ass as usual, and is now using it to distract us from talking about how bad his international trip was. Drumpf misspelled a word (coverage in this case, which seems the best case), and it trying to misdirect us into thinking it's something else. I could not laugh any harder when Sean McCarthy Spicer said that during the briefing.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Yes, pls!

But wait:

Relationship? Why?

This seems to be more an issue similar to Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi series. Intelligent Systems likely do not know what to do with Advance Wars. If you think about it, a lot of their ideas for games like these have been incorporated into the Fire Emblem series, and FE was already the more popular one. They even made another one (which I bet have already been forgotten) called Codename: S.T.E.A.M recently(-ish).

Personally, I would love for Advance Wars to change genre and become an RTS in the vein of Age of Empires.

Good music is good music. I really love the banjo-like (shamisen?) strumming section.

That is hilarious!

I know this is more a topic for the Politics thread, but I don't believe for a second that covfefe is some secret jargon that only Drumpf, and his cronies know. Drumpf pure and simply was being an ass as usual, and is now using it to distract us from talking about how bad his international trip was. Drumpf misspelled a word (coverage in this case, which seems the best case), and it trying to misdirect us into thinking it's something else. I could not laugh any harder when Sean McCarthy Spicer said that during the briefing.
yeah, no shit, its 4D chess again. Hows that climate change people are discussing on the news?
Oh wait, nope, its 24 hour covfefe covfefe

What's that like? The tourneys and stuff?

Also, good to see you my man. I hope everything is well. I really hope you found that girl that you've been looking for lol.
Its great man I've made lots of new friends and become more sociable, I love the game itself too ofc and its rewarding when you feel improvment. Tourneys can be big or small but almost always a good time!

And no girl yet haha

simplyTravis

That's not weird that I would think I'd pretty much all of us.
I can't remember the last time I actually went to the main site. Hopefully they get e.gg up to where it should be so we can have forum and news coexisting. It's got a looooong way though. They are getting a new crew to work on it so hopefully some things make it up there to make that place look like it has some life in it.

Socar

I think I only check out GoNintendo these days
Yeah gonintendo is the best gaming news site for Nintendo stuff out there. I like the basic template of it where news is short and you can read it quick on the go and go for the next one.

They also have some really good podcasts as well though I don't have much time to listen to them all.

Socar

Ok can anyone help me here?

My parents aren't able to get wireless internet. They both use wifi but I use lan. They think that even if I use the comp without Lan, they won't get internet.

I called for service and they say that I may need another router for them to use wireless internet.

So How to fix this problem. I'm using netgear router and its only one router we're using.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen

My parents aren't able to get wireless internet. They both use wifi but I use lan. They think that even if I use the comp without Lan, they won't get internet.

I called for service and they say that I may need another router for them to use wireless internet.

So How to fix this problem. I'm using netgear router and its only one router we're using.
can't help... networking is the most infuriating aspect of using a computer.. just thinking about troubleshooting it (not even troubleshooting it, just thinking about doing it) gets my blood boiling...

only advice I can give is that newer routers from larger companies tend to be easier to deal with... google has a router that costs like $120 or something.. it is supposed to be insanely easy to set-up... and if it doesn't get enough coverage you can use more of them and it distributes the wifi over a larger area. (which is the new trend in routers)

simplyTravis

Hey folks, a good friend of mine along with some ex-Lionhead Fable developers are on the last 8 hours of a Kickstarter campaign for a game called Kynseed. If y'all could please take a look at it. It is a 2d sandbox RPG that spans over the lifetime of a character. It has a playable prototype and some other nifty things in the Kickstarter. I do know they are looking at Nintendo Switch but can't confirm anything at the moment.

theMightyME

Played another 20 minutes of arms... Pro controls are WAY better, and you can curve your punches after you throw them still the trade off between moving your arm and moving your character feels pretty seamless too... I would like to remap the buttons though.... I think zr and zl for the punches... B for jump, y for dash/charge, a to select target, x to activate special

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie

Like the service provider suggested, you'll need another router. You'll need to get a WAN (wireless) router and an extra ethernet cable, if your old router isn't already wireless. This is an easy setup, and routers are cheap (at least where I live). Take note of the distance their bandwidth travels when you're purchasing a WAN router.
You'll have to plug in one end of the new ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports on your old router, then connect the other end to the main WAN port of the WAN router. Some wireless routers comes with antennae to allow you more control over signal reception. The layout of your house, the location and signal strength of the wireless router, and the disruption of radio signals on similar channels to the router will determine how effective your Wifi would be.

Some routers would require you to install their respective drivers before it can function properly. Please do so whenever the opportunity arises.

Your next step would be to access the settings for the WAN router using your web browser. The manual for the router should have the instructions on how to access it. Usually it's an IP address (eg: 192.168.1.1) and the last two numbers vary according to the version of router you have. You'll be prompted to put in a username and password to access it (also included in the manual. It's usually "Admin" as a username and a generic password). From there, you can then decide whether you want to enable security among other things.

The other method is to request a WAN router directly from the service provider to replace your current router. One method is cheaper than the other, and depending on what you want, one is more convenient than the other.

Shoulder

After a whole day of flying and layovers, my family and I made it to the Isle of Man yesterday afternoon local time.

Between the layovers inside the airport, the lack of sleep on the plane, we were all beat last night. We all still did stuff, ate plenty of good, and saw some qualifying of the races, drove on part of the course until it was closed due to an oil spill somewhere on the mountain course. So then we took a detour on all these small one roads smack bad in the middle of the island. Never would've found those if we had taken the normal route.

Definitely a good first day, and we look forward to today.

theMightyME

@theMightyME dude do you speak Japanese yet?
no more than I did before... very little... hard language to learn by yourself, and there isn't any class or anything near me... though duo lingo has supposedly added it, so I might try that

I used to know all the kana and maybe a hundred or so kanji, now I can kind of read kana but it is harder to remember it from nothing to write, and I know maybe 50 kanji...

besides the written language side, I know sentence structure, about half of the particles, and probably a couple hundred words... which is obviously nowhere near being able to have a cohesive conversation.... especially since I have to concentrate hard to remember any of it

it is hard to learn by yourself, and as a result I am probably picking up bad habits and mistakes, because I don't have anybody to correct me

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
no more than I did before... very little... hard language to learn by yourself, and there isn't any class or anything near me... though duo lingo has supposedly added it, so I might try that

I used to know all the kana and maybe a hundred or so kanji, now I can kind of read kana but it is harder to remember it from nothing to write, and I know maybe 50 kanji...

besides the written language side, I know sentence structure, about half of the particles, and probably a couple hundred words... which is obviously nowhere near being able to have a cohesive conversation.... especially since I have to concentrate hard to remember any of it

it is hard to learn by yourself, and as a result I am probably picking up bad habits and mistakes, because I don't have anybody to correct me
did you try that steam game at all?