The Great CT - Community Thread

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
The argument "it's been remade/adapted/etc once by someone else, there's no point in doing it again" annoys me for some reason.

Figures as much. Sounds like a bunch of butthurt gamers who are trying to justify AM2R even though there is no legal basis for it existing anyway. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is. Gamers are just going to have to accept that. I dled AM2R before it was taken down, but haven't played it yet. I might give it a go if I have the time, but I'm more excited for Samus Returns to be honest.
What's funny is that the AM2R dev is completely happy with the announcement that Nintendo is doing their own remake of Metroid 2.

praisegrima

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
hearing Sakamoto utter the phrase "baby metroid" gave me PTSD
Excellent.

I dled AM2R before it was taken down, but haven't played it yet. I might give it a go if I have the time, but I'm more excited for Samus Returns to be honest.
Dude, don't sleep on AM2R. It's like they took Zero Mission and gave it a bigger map. Some of the boss/Metroid fights are meh, but overall, it's damn impressive. I don't agree with people who rank it higher than the GBA Metroids, but that you can even make the comparison at all is really saying something.

There will be some people who legitimately prefer the GBA-ish style over Samus Returns, and who will say that the melee counter is just the sense move/dodge in 2D, and that's their right. I wouldn't hold it against anyone to prefer the old 2D mechanics. But as someone who has played and replayed Fusion and ZM to the point where I stopped counting the hours, I'm more excited to see an updated take on 2D Metroid. YMMV.

I do have to say that I prefer the 2D sprites used in AM2R over the 3D used in Samus returns. Sprite art simply ages better and feels more snappy than most 3D animation rendered on a 2D plane.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
If it's no more of an issue than carrying a tablet, then I would say it's a non-issue. I don't know about you, but if I'm carrying more than my phone, keys, and wallet with me, so my tablet, headphones, sunglasses case, pens/pencils, chargers, etc, I carry my sling bag with me, which is most of the time. I could just as easily put my future Switch in my sling bag, and it'd be no bother.

Perhaps we should not be thinking about whether or not if something fits inside our pockets, but if it fits in our normal everyday bags. Now, you might then say, "I don't have an everyday bag I carry with me most of the time." Then that's fine. But remember this: it would be impossible to make the Switch any smaller without major compromises in the hardware in its current iteration. Perhaps at some point, if the Tegra chip can be shrunken down (which might never happen honestly), maybe a Switch Lite could launch, but I don't ever see that happening.

Also, I tend to see (at least in my neck of the woods) that skinny jeans are all the rage including with men (thanks hipsters...), and you can barely fit your smartphone in some of those pockets, let alone a Switch.
Yes, it is also important to consider the times... Everyone is walking around with a 5.5" screen smart phone in 1 pocket, and their keys and wallet in another.... Who is going to slice a game system in their back pocket... But if you really wanted to you still probably could with a switch... And more easily so if you disconnected the joycons and plugged them up your nose or whatever kink you are into.... HD rumble doesn't judge...

When the guys came out and the 3dsxl the exact same questions came up and hey nobody argued against them being handhelds... Same goes for battery life...

The fact that there are sooooooo many travel cars on the market also speaks towards the systems design for portability... You don't licence out hundreds of slim travel cases if your portable aspirations for a system are using it on the toilet....

Then you have the marketing... The smallest amount of time in the original reveal was reserved for playing it docked... We saw it on a plane, in an airport lobby, at a rooftop party, in a car, at a basketball street court, etc...

The usb-c port also speaks highly of them trying to compensate for the shorter battery life in a way that none of the 3ds iterations even bothered with... Which is country to their profit plans as they could have merely changed the size of the port by a few nm and lavender it as proprietary while not actually making any new tech....

That is basically what apple's lightning port is... A different usb port.. But still operating as usb.

I see no downside to the system as a portable and only performance, which i still maintain is mostly hype anyways, holding it back as a console...

It IS a true handheld AND a true console, by being both it has not sacraficed on either...

The only reason Nintendo hasn't moved everything to the switch right now is because if market share... And they aren't even talking a wait and see approach... They just committed hard to the system as their next been portable by announcing the next core pokemon will be on it... Eben until then i just waiting to build marketshare on switch... Something they cannot do any faster then they already are....

What is annoying about that for us switch owners is that even though we already tracked down our units, we still have to wait for others to do the same before we get our inevitable games flood...

We have already moved on, but we still need to dust off old hardware to get a new game we have been waiting years for....

They will almost surely (unless the game is a critical and sales flop) eventually port it to switch... But they don't want to commit to it yet because they don't want 3ds players to think "it is time to upgrade" then go to the store and meet the crushing revelation that they probably won't get the system for at LEAST a couple of months... So current switch owners are paying for the insecurities of none switch owning 3ds users... And that sucks

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...issues_with_releasing_need_for_speed_on_wii_u
And this is one of many reasons why the Wii U flopped.

Sent from my SM-G900V using genital warts
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second here, because even though I was a massive fan of Most Wanted on Wii U as most will attest, what possessed Criterion to even port the game in the first place? From the start, it was a late port for a console that just launched, it did not include all the DLC (although, that part is likely EA's fault), and despite it looking and overall performing better than the PS3 and 360 versions, why couldn't Criterion have just waited until NFS: Hot Pursuit, and launched simultaneously? Or was this whole porting process not Criterion's call to begin with, and EA just gave them the project, and then did nothing else?

I only say this because even with a full on marketing campaign, Most Wanted never would've sold gangbusters, nor would it really appeal as much considering the 360 and PS3 already took the bulk of the sales in the first place. It was DOA the moment Criterion started porting it, and EA and Nintendo only exacerbated the situation further.

EvilTw1n

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second here, because even though I was a massive fan of Most Wanted on Wii U as most will attest, what possessed Criterion to even port the game in the first place? From the start, it was a late port for a console that just launched, it did not include all the DLC (although, that part is likely EA's fault), and despite it looking and overall performing better than the PS3 and 360 versions, why couldn't Criterion have just waited until NFS: Hot Pursuit, and launched simultaneously? Or was this whole porting process not Criterion's call to begin with, and EA just gave them the project, and then did nothing else?

I only say this because even with a full on marketing campaign, Most Wanted never would've sold gangbusters, nor would it really appeal as much considering the 360 and PS3 already took the bulk of the sales in the first place. It was DOA the moment Criterion started porting it, and EA and Nintendo only exacerbated the situation further.
That's not playing devil's advocate, it's playing logical advocate.

I, too, absolutely loved MW on Wii U (put in north of 100 hours on it). Even with a wonky online, it was still great, since the real action was on the speedwalls. But seriously, wtf did Ward expect here? For Nintendo to do EA's marketing for them, on a game EA obviously didn't think was going to sell? As if Iwata-san could've picked up the phone at the time and dictated to EA how to allocate EA's own resources? I mean, I feel for Criterion, because the team did all they could have, but Ward is giving an emotional reply here, blaming a completely separate company for not overruling his own bosses at the time. I'm sorry to say that his bosses were probably correct, too. It sucks, but MWU probably wouldn't have sold any better with a couple of late-night commercials on Comedy Central.

Criterion more than lived up to their part of the bargain. They made a great game. But sometimes great games don't sell.

[Sidenote: Ward can lay off this "well our families gotta eat" canard. The point made to him was "indie games sell here too, and sometimes better." His response was essentially, "my family has to eat, so why would I try selling a game where more people might buy it?" Not great logic, there. But 'ey, at least now we can all get over our mass delusion of thinking that game developers got by on photosynthesis and handjobs. ...if that sounds like harsh snark, well, it's never a good look when a tortured artist acts like their first-world struggle eclipses that of the people who shell out the money that makes their work viable in the first place.]

Last edited:
Remember when we got Deus Ex: Directors cut for twice the price as the near identical 360 and PS3 versions? Or when we got Mass Effect 3 on wii U, while the 360 and PS3 got the entire Trilogy in one bundle? Sometimes I seriously question the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the various people in charge of marketing and executive decision making within and across the video game industry.

EvilTw1n

Remember when we got Deus Ex: Directors cut for twice the price as the near identical 360 and PS3 versions? Or when we got Mass Effect 3 on wii U, while the 360 and PS3 got the entire Trilogy in one bundle? Sometimes I seriously question the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the various people in charge of marketing and executive decision making within and across the video game industry.

Shoulder

This is also part of the issue here. It's not that games don't sell on Nintendo systems, it's that publishers have the most daft and backwards thinking when it comes to getting these games put on the system to begin with. They are late, usually never marketed, and for most of the time, provide little incentive to even go that route. In the case with Deus Ex, my biggest issue with it is performance. Sure, it looks great, but the performance lacks behind the original PS3 version, which I also own. I do like the fact all the DLC was included from the start, and the game was reworked, including adding some very nice Gamepad features. But those type of things don't justify paying full price for a game that is already a few years old. I understand the people at Straight Right poured their hearts and souls into it, but they were also porting a game that was a few years old, and for a system that frankly wasn't selling well. It is possible though porting had already begun by the time the Wii U launched (maybe it was mentioned by them at some point), and felt they had an obligation to finish it, like Criterion had.

But what I hate the most is when a game is not only late, but gimped compared to the other versions. So in the case with MWU, not all DLC was included, the online was compromised slightly, and there was little support after it had launched. Again, it was left out to die. The game will still crash from time to time at random times, and it could've easily been fixed with a patch, but alas, it was never done. Then there's Deus Ex, which in fairness wasn't really gimped, although it still did not justify it being full price when other versions were half the price or less. It also would've been nice incentive to include motion controls since the tech was already natively built-in (same could be said for RE: Revelations).

And if you're going to gimp features between versions, then have the decency to reflect that in the price. Case in point, Batman: Arkham Origins. While the PS3/360 versions had online, the Wii U version did not, and guess what? The price went down 10 bucks, which I thought was a good choice. The game still had its fair share of issues, mostly performance wise, but I did not want to play the online anyway, so it was a win-win for me.

And this brings to today with Skyrim on Switch. In fairness, it was shown off during E3, it does have some interesting incentives for Switch owners, but like the remastered editions, it'll be full price for a game that is already several years old. Part of the draw to it for many is not only about playing as Link, or a Link-like character, but also simply Skyrim on-the-go. Now, I do genuinely wonder if that'll be used a lot, or if it'll simply be a feature that everyone wants, but no one uses (sort of like backwards compatibility). As someone who has never played Skyrim, I did express interest in Skyrim if and when the time comes to get a Switch, so we'll see. My biggest thing is how the game will perform and run, but that's for another time.

EvilTw1n

So this interview with Anthony Bourdain crossed my dash today. I thought this was an interesting quote:

That gives you the greatest satisfaction—simple dishes?
AB: I do not want to experience food. I think this is true of just about every chef I know. In fact, the higher up they are, the better they are, the more sophisticated their food, the truer this statement is. None of us want to experience food in an analytical way or a critical way. We don't want to think about what's in it, how many people were required, where it came from. We don't want to hear about any of those things. We want to experience it in an emotional way entirely, ideally, like children. The same sense of comfort, reassurance, and general sense that someone loves us, and that’s good for the soul.
https://gotham-magazine.com/anthony-bourdain-on-fame-his-favorite-meal-opening-nyc-food-hall

It immediately made me think of gaming, and Breath of the Wild, in particular.

When I first started playing the game, I was analyzing it like a critic. I was trying to look at the formula for topography layout and how the game propels you into discovery ("climb tower, look for shrine, jump to shrine but make it half way there, find path, pick up a rock, find Korok seed, find alternate path en route, go there..."). I was analyzing the enemy damage and the weapon degradation. I was looking for the frame hitches for the telltale sign of a load partition.

And I wasn't really having any fun.

Only when I stopped paying attention to that stuff, and only when I let the game whisk me away emotionally, was when Breath of the Wild hit home for me. I had to shut off the critical part of my gaming-brain and go back to being a kid who wants to climb rocks and chase sunsets.

You can have your "1080/60BRO" Digital Foundry analysis. I just want to experience the cooking.
@EvilTw1n Did you get a switch yet?

The last re-stock at Target was gone quick in my neck of the woods. There was another store about 45 minutes away that listed some in-stock for pick-up, but I knew they'd be gone by the time I got there.

The search continues. I got pretty close the last time Toys 'R Us stocked, too. Third time will be the charm, I think.

I take it you haven't had any better luck?
This is also part of the issue here. It's not that games don't sell on Nintendo systems, it's that publishers have the most daft and backwards thinking when it comes to getting these games put on the system to begin with. They are late, usually never marketed, and for most of the time, provide little incentive to even go that route.
Well, it kinda is that the games don't sell on Nintendo's console, but it's because Nintendo and third parties are perpetually two ships passing in the night. Most Wanted U was a prime example. EA couldn't dedicate enough staff to have Criterion do a simultaneous fall launch with the Wii U included. So the launch slips to March. And as much as I understand Ward's wish that Nintendo could've helped them out...it's kinda hard to do that when at the same time Nintendo was publishing Lego City and probably doing a little push with MH3U. All three games launched around the same time, so it's kinda obvious for Nintendo on where to spend the money when they were publishing an (at the time) exclusive piece of software.

It's convenient fuel for "Nintendo doesn't support third parties," and it's convenient fuel for "third parties don't ever put the right effort and marketing into games on Nintendo consoles." Both points are about half right, and missing context.

Last edited:

Shoulder

So this interview with Anthony Bourdain crossed my dash today. I thought this was an interesting quote:

That gives you the greatest satisfaction—simple dishes?
AB: I do not want to experience food. I think this is true of just about every chef I know. In fact, the higher up they are, the better they are, the more sophisticated their food, the truer this statement is. None of us want to experience food in an analytical way or a critical way. We don't want to think about what's in it, how many people were required, where it came from. We don't want to hear about any of those things. We want to experience it in an emotional way entirely, ideally, like children. The same sense of comfort, reassurance, and general sense that someone loves us, and that’s good for the soul.
https://gotham-magazine.com/anthony-bourdain-on-fame-his-favorite-meal-opening-nyc-food-hall

It immediately made me think of gaming, and Breath of the Wild, in particular.

When I first started playing the game, I was analyzing it like a critic. I was trying to look at the formula for topography layout and how the game propels you into discovery ("climb tower, look for shrine, jump to shrine but make it half way there, find path, pick up a rock, find Korok seed, find alternate path en route, go there..."). I was analyzing the enemy damage and the weapon degradation. I was looking for the frame hitches for the telltale sign of a load partition.

And I wasn't really having any fun.

Only when I stopped paying attention to that stuff, and only when I let the game whisk me away emotionally, was when Breath of the Wild hit home for me. I had to shut off the critical part of my gaming-brain and go back to being a kid who wants to climb rocks and chase sunsets.

You can have your "1080/60BRO" Digital Foundry analysis. I just want to experience the cooking.
I suspect this is what I was missing when playing through Xenoblade Chronicles X. I honestly wasn't real having much fun, and if I'm honest, that is what I'm missing most of all in games. This has been going on for a few years now I've realized, and it's part of what I miss most about my times gaming over the years.

I need to go back to the days of when I didn't care about finishing a game, so I could move onto the next one. I want to experience the game as I play it without worrying about any of that.

theMightyME

I suspect this is what I was missing when playing through Xenoblade Chronicles X. I honestly wasn't real having much fun, and if I'm honest, that is what I'm missing most of all in games. This has been going on for a few years now I've realized, and it's part of what I miss most about my times gaming over the years.

I need to go back to the days of when I didn't care about finishing a game, so I could move onto the next one. I want to experience the game as I play it without worrying about any of that.
You need to play erotic visual novels from Japan

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
The best one is called Fire Emblem Awakening.

You're this woman with amnesia, and this stunning looker of a prince gently picks you up off of the ground and into a magical world of adventure and romance. You have friends who have their own romances, politcal intrigues, a time traveling mask wearing daughter, an estranged father whose motives are mysterious, and so much more.

praisegrima

The best one is called Fire Emblem Awakening.
PhhhhHaHaHaHa!

It's sad because its true... I am not a fan of the direction Intelgient Systems has been taken the series as of late, they seem to be overly focused on the light novel-esc character interactions at the cost of everything else.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord

The last re-stock at Target was gone quick in my neck of the woods. There was another store about 45 minutes away that listed some in-stock for pick-up, but I knew they'd be gone by the time I got there.

The search continues. I got pretty close the last time Toys 'R Us stocked, too. Third time will be the charm, I think.

I take it you haven't had any better luck?

Nah. The weird thing is, site listings are wonky anyways. Half the time when I look at Best Buy or EB Games or Wal-Mart or something, they don't even have a page listing for it.

I'm actually getting worried I won't be able to find one until next year. If I can't get one before Christmas shopping season starts, I can't imagine getting one before restocks eventually come in February or something like that.

Socar

Dude, don't sleep on AM2R. It's like they took Zero Mission and gave it a bigger map. Some of the boss/Metroid fights are meh, but overall, it's damn impressive. I don't agree with people who rank it higher than the GBA Metroids, but that you can even make the comparison at all is really saying something.

There will be some people who legitimately prefer the GBA-ish style over Samus Returns, and who will say that the melee counter is just the sense move/dodge in 2D, and that's their right. I wouldn't hold it against anyone to prefer the old 2D mechanics. But as someone who has played and replayed Fusion and ZM to the point where I stopped counting the hours, I'm more excited to see an updated take on 2D Metroid. YMMV.
Also, the fact that AMR2 is more or less a fan game rather than an official game. People need to understand how copyright works here because that's the main reason why major companies are still around because otherwise, Nintendo would've been bankrupt by now.

I really love Fusion as its my favourite Metroid game which is why I don't understand why Nintendo has decided to do a remake of a game on a system that you can get the original on that very same system....

At the same time however I can understand why they choose a remake over a brand new 2D one considering that we have to wait for another decade for it to happen... I mean, how can the story after fusion work? Pretty much Ridley is dead, Metroids are completely gone after the BSL got blasted, Samus suit is kinda broken and there pretty much aren't any signs of space pirates around. The only thing they can do from this is well Samus somehow managed to give birth to a metroid considering that she got injected with metroid vaccine and to stop this, she kinda kills herself like how Ellen killed herself in Alien 3 after knowing that she was giving birth to the alien.

And what about Echoes?
Echoes is decent. Playing through it at the moment and it's enjoyable enough but I kind of get the feeling that certain elements from it's original version way back when hold it back, such as how leveling up slows to crawl after Lvl 10...and that promoting your units doesn't really give them a big boost to their overall stats anyways, meaning that promotion is mainly so you can keep leveling up your troops quickly and for a handful of skills. That and a lot of troops are flat out awful. But one thing I do like about it is that it's fully voice acted and the overall artwork and character designs are very good. Gives me hope that the Fire Emblem for Switch will be fully voice acted

https://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-agrees-to-be-acquired-by-enthusiast-gaming-443851.phtml

So Menashe and Enthusiast Gaming acquired Destructoid.

Destructoid is my jam. That's where I go to for news mostly (admittedly, they can be a bit slow on posting some news I see elsewhere) but I legitimately enjoy Destructoid and their staff. No, I don't post there. These past few months I found myself drifting away from posting on sites and as a result I rarely came here.

In their announcement, Papa Niero says Destructoid is still free to do it's own thing. I trust Menashe has the best intentions so for the time being, I believe that. That said (and this is coming from someone who never visited the front page in ages), I better not see any of our front pagers over there. Maybe I have no right in saying anything since I just up and left here suddenly, but Destructoid is pretty much the only gaming site for news I can tolerate. I would hate to see some of our writers appear on their front page.

That said, I will congratulate Menashe here and now for the acquisition.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
https://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-agrees-to-be-acquired-by-enthusiast-gaming-443851.phtml

Destructoid is my jam. That's where I go to for news mostly (admittedly, they can be a bit slow on posting some news I see elsewhere) but I legitimately enjoy Destructoid and their staff. No, I don't post there. These past few months I found myself drifting away from posting on sites and as a result I rarely came here.

In their announcement, Papa Niero says Destructoid is still free to do it's own thing. I trust Menashe has the best intentions so for the time being, I believe that. That said (and this is coming from someone who never visited the front page in ages), I better not see any of our front pagers over there. Maybe I have no right in saying anything since I just up and left here suddenly, but Destructoid is pretty much the only gaming site for news I can tolerate. I would hate to see some of our writers appear on their front page.

Wow, congrats to @Menashe!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah. I guess the TL;DR is that the Enthusiast Gaming team that is in charge of selling adspace is actually pretty good and makes money.

I guess other news that you guys should know is that while we did find a programmer to work on Enthusiast. GG, the focus is once again on the blog sites (such as this one), and the front page writers don't have to post to EGG anymore. EGG is now intended to be a fully community-driven site.

That's just what I read a whole ago, and I could be wrong because I'm not very active or in the know these days.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I will say that since the front page revamp here last week or the week before, the news portions have been much better.
It seems more like news again instead of just Elia posting his negative opinions and calling them facts.

Shoulder

I will say that since the front page revamp here last week or the week before, the news portions have been much better.
It seems more like news again instead of just Elia posting his negative opinions and calling them facts.
You mean his alternative facts?

And yes, the frontpage does look better than before. I haven't been on EGG that mcuh these either, so I should get on that at some point.

theMightyME

wow, I don't even know what to say, didn't see this coming

EvilTw1n

Nah. The weird thing is, site listings are wonky anyways. Half the time when I look at Best Buy or EB Games or Wal-Mart or something, they don't even have a page listing for it.

I'm actually getting worried I won't be able to find one until next year. If I can't get one before Christmas shopping season starts, I can't imagine getting one before restocks eventually come in February or something like that.
Target's page is worth watching, because it won't display anything when they're depleted. But last time they were stocked, it had an "in-store pickup only" option to click, which would then show you the Targets in your area and let you know if they had any. That one is worth watching.

It's also worth calling your local GameStop. They're getting stock in this week.
https://bgr.com/2017/06/21/nintendo-switch-where-to-buy-gamestop/

If you can hit GS on your lunch break (they usually open at 10, get deliveries mid-day), you might score one. I can attest to this.

20170621_123428_LLS.jpg

I didn't get to eat lunch on my break today.

But I did get a Switch.

...and I'm afraid to look at my bank account now. Yeesh.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT I LOOKED AT MY BANK ACCOUNT.

You ever look at your checking account and just laugh?
At the same time however I can understand why they choose a remake over a brand new 2D one considering that we have to wait for another decade for it to happen... I mean, how can the story after fusion work? Pretty much Ridley is dead, Metroids are completely gone after the BSL got blasted, Samus suit is kinda broken and there pretty much aren't any signs of space pirates around. The only thing they can do from this is well Samus somehow managed to give birth to a metroid considering that she got injected with metroid vaccine and to stop this, she kinda kills herself like how Ellen killed herself in Alien 3 after knowing that she was giving birth to the alien.
Well, uh...I wouldn't go the birthing route, but I think you have the key point. Metroids are pretty much gone from the series' universe.

The only thing with metroid DNA is...Samus.

After the events in Other M and Fusion, it's clear that the G-Feds are not benign. They want to use metroids as a weapon. Which would make Samus a target. Which would give her an excuse to have some sort of capture and lose her powers and have to go back to an old Chozo civilization to re-synch with a Power Suit.

There's plenty of material there to work with. The mainline series ran Mother Brain and Ridley into the ground. Time to move on. Samus as an erstwhile ally of the Federation, and a full-time fugitive, would be really fertile ground, I think.

I...yeah. I don't have much to say here. Enthusiast has managed to grow, and good on 'em. But it honestly has nothing to do with us. Nintendo Enthusiast got left behind long ago.

Last edited:
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
also they have the conceit that Metroid means "ultimate warrior" or some bullshit like that in birdspeak so that would make Samus a Metroid and thus they can keep the name for future games to come.

EvilTw1n

So, for a post of its own, my initial Switch impressions.

-The packaging is awesome and logical. The setup is the easiest I think I've had with any console.

-I thought the Joy-Cons would be too small. They almost are. I think they're comfy, but my hands are pretty small.

-The Joy-Cons are a damn great controller solution. The Wii remote was half way there as a complete input method. These are 95% of the way there. They make perfect sense when snapped into the console or the grip as a conventional controller. They make perfect sense turned sideways as a simplified, but still ample controller (if too small in this form; the remaining 5% is in the side-on shoulder buttons, which aren't great - still, I think I had my best time playing Arms with a sideways Joy-con). They make sense as a motion controller. I didn't realize how much I'd like them. Modular design has been a thing mobile devices have been trying to sell for years; the Switch might be the first modular design in modern consumer electronics that sells the idea.

-The tablet screen is great. At the distance I hold it from my face, it looks pretty impressive. Good viewing angles. The colors/separation are very good. 720p was the right call.

-Dark theme > Light theme

-The little snap for the controllers is addicting. By contrast, sliding the tablet into the dock feels all loosey goosey.

-The console update made me groan at first. But then it installed in probably under 2 minutes. It took hours to get the Wii U working on day one.

-Snappy as hell. Don't mess up this OS, Nintendo. Don't bloat it. This works as-is.

-I instinctively tried to use the Joy-con as if it had the Wii remote's IR pointer. Took a second to readjust.

-I didn't realize how small the whole thing would be. I was convinced I'd have to make room behind my TV to fit the dock, but nope, it fits in front of my TV and isn't so tall that it blocks my view of the screen at all.

-It is oddly natural to use the left Joy-Con face buttons as a D-pad...in passing. This is straight-up Nintendo voodoo shit. The first time I poked around a menu, I reached down, expecting the D-pad. And the round face buttons felt...fine. And they shouldn't, because I'm a D-pad whore. I need to play a 2D game to really judge, but seriously, it felt like witchcraft.

-I suck at Arms like I've sucked at few games. It really does feel like they designed it around motion controls, but for depth and twitchy response, you have to use "normal" controls. It's an odd fit. I'll need a few hours to get used to it. But damn...the style is great. It's a very pretty game. Great animations. If there are jaggies, I haven't stood still long enough to really find them objectionable. Lots of potential here, at least.

-Right out of the box, the idea for Switch is fully realized in a way the Wii U never could be. The GamePad was an ambitious idea as an all-in-one controller, but attached to the nebulous idea about adding a window into a game world...which is a neat idea, but too experimental for most established game designs. As a practical application, that left off-screen gaming as the GamePad's raison d'être, which wasn't terribly practical, as you couldn't be too far from the console. For the most part, it was really just a big dual analog controller. The Switch? It's a hybrid. It's the console you can take anywhere. It's the device you slide a controller off of and play with anyone. You don't realize how logical it is and what an easy sell the idea is until you hold one. It, emphatically, will not be for everyone, but its niche is so well defined and so well executed that it's no wonder these things are hard to find.

-I'm going to have to re-buy Breath of the Wild.