The Great CT - Community Thread

Socar

your attitude on this annoys me... I agree that Nintendo needs to think outside of the box and do things we do not expect... but to act as if this rational exists alone in a vacuum is silly... we do get the same franchises over and over while others are ignored over and over... Nintendo DOES need to listen to their fans more... that doesn't mean they need to do everything their fans want, they definitely shouldn't do that... but they SHOULD listen... some of the best surprises they have done recently directly relate to what fans have been asking for.... fans were tired of the zelda format and were begging for something to break the monotony... then we got breath of the wild... fans have been begging for metroid.. and now we have 2 new metroids coming... fans were begging for a more open 3d mario... and now we are getting a big open 3d mario... all of those are examples of nintendo listening to fans, and then experimenting beyond what fans asked for to offer us a true surprise....

yes we wanted to change the zelda mechanics.. but nobody could have seen that chemistry engine coming... yes we wanted an open mario... but nobody could have seen that strange ass city with full sized people, or the hat mechanic... nobody saw that coming...

THAT is what nintendo needs to be doing... listening to fans, giving them what they want, but taking that extra step to give us a surprise we could have never expected as part of the experience we wanted...

as I said, this seems to be what nintendo is trying to do now... but NOT what you are advocating

I also want to add that Reggie is just a PR hype man... nothing more.. what he wants or thinks has NOTHING to do with anything nintendo actually ends up doing... the biggest decisions Reggie makes are to screw his fans in the west by not allowing certain games to come over because he doesn't think they are big enough.... thankfully... fan demand for some of those games has shifted his ability to do this a bit
And what does listening actually do really? If Nintendo did listen to what fans wanted, we would have gotten Mother 3 by now and this isn't even a license issue since the game is pretty much done.

And no, listening and doing are pretty much the same thing since you are doing or atleast trying to deliver the requests that fans have been asking for. Even if fans wanted Nintendo to make an open world game, that won't stop them from buying a brand new linear zelda game if it does happen.

If Nintendo listened to what fans want, Nintendo would have made the switch more powerful and made it run at 4k. Yeah, you can say right now 4k is irrelevant but it will eventually start becoming relevant and that's what happened to HDTV.

Fans can't really help companies like Nintendo because if they do want to help Nintendo, they would do their utmost best to stop piracy, not do fan-works and release them in public only to get angry at Nintendo after being forced to shut it down and more importantly, would atleast be quiet and be happy with the games.

Yeah having Metroid back is cool and all but what cost? Nintendo only did it because they had to do it. F-Zero will never happen and while someday there's a good chance of it to happen, the fans will fade off by then. Not a single fan complained of how Kid Icarus Uprising is completely different than the first two games.

Socar

So I checked this thing called when will you die game and apparently, I will die at the age of 66....Damn...so long. wonder if that death thing is legit.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So I checked this thing called when will you die game and apparently, I will die at the age of 66....Damn...so long. wonder if that death thing is legit.
I did three separate ones that yielded three entirely different results with identical responses. One said 81, another 67, and the last one 97. Which means, on avg based on those three, I'll live to be around 81.

I call bullshit though. For starters, when you look at those, you now have a benchmark, or a starting point of when you will "supposedly" die, so as time progresses, and you get closer and closer to that age, your mind starts thinking about it, and you could end up being more stressed about it, rather than simply living life. So you'll likely end up dying of stress of when you're going to die rather than not knowing.

If some being came up to me, and asked if I wanted to know when I die, I wouldn't want to know. Some things are better left as a mystery. If I die tomorrow because of a car accident, or some other reason, it happens. But if I live another 50-60 plus years, then it happens.

All I know is I don't want to die slowly. I'd rather go quickly than slowly.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
And what does listening actually do really? If Nintendo did listen to what fans wanted, we would have gotten Mother 3 by now and this isn't even a license issue since the game is pretty much done.

And no, listening and doing are pretty much the same thing since you are doing or atleast trying to deliver the requests that fans have been asking for. Even if fans wanted Nintendo to make an open world game, that won't stop them from buying a brand new linear zelda game if it does happen.

If Nintendo listened to what fans want, Nintendo would have made the switch more powerful and made it run at 4k. Yeah, you can say right now 4k is irrelevant but it will eventually start becoming relevant and that's what happened to HDTV.

Fans can't really help companies like Nintendo because if they do want to help Nintendo, they would do their utmost best to stop piracy, not do fan-works and release them in public only to get angry at Nintendo after being forced to shut it down and more importantly, would atleast be quiet and be happy with the games.

Yeah having Metroid back is cool and all but what cost? Nintendo only did it because they had to do it. F-Zero will never happen and while someday there's a good chance of it to happen, the fans will fade off by then. Not a single fan complained of how Kid Icarus Uprising is completely different than the first two games.
that is a bunch of babbling nonsense

1. Mother 3 is a strange issue, apparently a lot of the music in the game is full on rip-off of Beatles music, which could get them sued in America, but not in japan where the copyright laws are more lax... Nintendo could chose to find other ways though, they could chance it, they could change the music, etc... or they very well might actually release it at some later date when it bests suit them to do so... before e3 you could have said "if Nintendo was listening we would be getting Metroid prime 4"... well... now they have... in a month they could announce Mother 3 and your point would be invalidated.... haven't done yet is not never doing... I remember you being convinced and sure of yourself that Metroid would never happen... now we have 2 coming.

2. listening and doing are not the same thing... just as thinking and acting are not the same thing, or considering and performing are not the same thing... you say fans would have bought a linear Zelda... sure, they definitely would have... except... not as many would have, and mind share would have dipped (you really need to try and understand mindshare, it is important and you seem to have no concept of it)... If Nintendo had put out a more linear Zelda, and then another more linear Zelda, and then another more linear Zelda, the numbers would decline over time... reinvention boosts momentum.

3. This is why I said Nintendo shouldn't always DO what fans want, but listen to what they want... also.. Nintendo fans are not a single unified voice... I am a huge Nintendo fan, I wanted exactly what the switch was, I have been writing articles about it for YEARS... the reason I want it isn't even because I want something portable... but because I want the unified library of games... and even the hardcore power fans of Nintendo that want them doing a 4k wonderbox probably want a unified library too... they just want it to be all on a console, and that doesn't work for a whole other portion of their audience... like the entire nation of Japan.

4. Fans shouldn't ever try to "help" corporations... we have an unspoken contract with corporations, they make stuff we want, we buy it... It is hard to demand things that we have not considered, and that is why Nintendo needs to listen to fans but not always do what we are asking for... some things they SHOULD do but don't... like mother 3, some things they shouldn't do, but do... like federation forces.... but usually it is a compromise that works... that allows us new and interesting IPs like Splatoon that a fan could have never asked for directly, but that in many ways (in being a competitive multiplayer shooter) matches EXACTLY what a segment of their fanbase was asking for... when that compromise happens and works... it is a HUGE success

5. your last statement is just pure babbling nonsense... nobody complained that Kid Icarus was different, because the original was super dated.. on the other hand EVERYONE complained that Metroid prime was different... until they played it. Then you say again that f-zero will never come back when you used to say the same thing about Metroid... and now that Metroid is coming you act like it is a huge tragedy for the company... Nintendo got more buzz and mindshare off of a f'n logo for Metroid Prime 4 then they did for the rest of their entire conference... it has ALREADY paid off... AGAIN, you need to understand the importance of mindshare... Sega, as part of their marketing, called Nintendo a system for kids in the 16-bit era, a statement with SOME validity, but a statement that created a stigma that Nintendo is STILL suffering under... the result was that they lost mindshare with a specific demographic (mostly little kids that didn't want to be seen as little kids, which is sadly a very large demographic)...

theMightyME

I did three separate ones that yielded three entirely different results with identical responses. One said 81, another 67, and the last one 97. Which means, on avg based on those three, I'll live to be around 81.

I call bullshit though. For starters, when you look at those, you now have a benchmark, or a starting point of when you will "supposedly" die, so as time progresses, and you get closer and closer to that age, your mind starts thinking about it, and you could end up being more stressed about it, rather than simply living life. So you'll likely end up dying of stress of when you're going to die rather than not knowing.

If some being came up to me, and asked if I wanted to know when I die, I wouldn't want to know. Some things are better left as a mystery. If I die tomorrow because of a car accident, or some other reason, it happens. But if I live another 50-60 plus years, then it happens.

All I know is I don't want to die slowly. I'd rather go quickly than slowly.
yeah, of course it is nonsense, it isn't magic, and even if it was properly managing health data it couldn't take your exact environmental and genetic circumstances into account... their are avid smokers that live into their 90s and health nuts that die in their 40s of natural causes

Shoulder

yeah, of course it is nonsense, it isn't magic, and even if it was properly managing health data it couldn't take your exact environmental and genetic circumstances into account... their are avid smokers that live into their 90s and health nuts that die in their 40s of natural causes
Oh I know it's nonsense. I never said it wasn't. I just find it funny how YMMV depending on the site used.

Shoulder

yeah, just different people setting different arbitrary results on the same limited information to make a completely shallow determination
Pretty much. There was a guy I remember years ago who was a super-centenarian who stopped smoking at age 60, drinking at 90, and walked with a cane at 111 year olds. Still went to the grocery store, and did stuff around the house. Outlived his wife, and his kids.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
You shouldn't make such a harsh critique of my comments about the pacing and tone of the series if you haven't even seen it... I get that you may not like it, but you just criticized my take on it without having even seen it.

There is nothing wrong with a slow pace to establish tone... And anybody complaining about American Gods for that... Well... I just really hope you didn't watch Twin Peaks this Sunday
As soon as you said "get patient and git gud" I felt my opinion on pointless cinematography in films and TV was warranted being added to the discussion.

If I have to learn patience while watching entertainment, perhaps that entertainment wasn't worth my time to begin with.

praisegrima

theMightyME

Pretty much. There was a guy I remember years ago who was a super-centenarian who stopped smoking at age 60, drinking at 90, and walked with a cane at 111 year olds. Still went to the grocery store, and did stuff around the house. Outlived his wife, and his kids.
yeah, it always makes me laugh when the news interviews a very old person and asks them for their "secret"... it is always nonsense.. like "I shower once a week, and use tomato soup for soap" (okay, an exaggeration). The real reason they lived long would have to be attributed to countless tiny traits of both their genetic makeup and environmental conditions... how much stress they suffered, how clean the air is where they live, their family's predisposition to heart disease... and yes... the food they eat, and the exorcise they do... but those 2 things are not even remotely the determining factors... just the most easily adjustable... you can't change your genetics, but you can change your diet... changing the amount of stress you take on is much trickier than changing your exercise regiment.

My dad will turn 80 next year (right around father's day)... some of the choices he makes right now really concern me... like he doesn't drink water... he only gets water from the coffee he drinks... he takes his f'n pills with coffee... if he was 40 and told a doctor that he was doing that, they would say he would be dead by 60...

that doesn't mean what he is doing is healthy for him.. far from it... but their are countless other variables at play

theMightyME

As soon as you said "get patient and git gud" I felt my opinion on pointless cinematography in films and TV was warranted being added to the discussion.

If I have to learn patience while watching entertainment, perhaps that entertainment wasn't worth my time to begin with.

praisegrima
entertainment is also art... and like with art their is stuff out there that is higher level, that is doing things beyond our base interests.... that isn't soemthing that should be seen as a condemnation of the work... quite the opposite... I drew a parallel to the "git gud" comments made by competitive gamers when people complain that a game is too hard because it is similar.... though in the case of american gods FAR less demanding....

I mean this Sunday's Twin Peaks requires a LOT of patience.. it was basically 10 minutes of plot followed by 50 minutes of trippy imagery... for THAT you might have more of a point... American Gods doesn't go even remotely that far.... but it does dwell on moments in order to affect tone... and that IS important... I would argue that tone is as important as plot... because tone establishes emotion

In the case of Twin Peaks last episode... I could see some people would be like "wtf is this?" but to me Lynch is ALL about tone.. at the expense of plot... trying to pick out the plot of a David Lynch work is pointless.. so why watch? because it is stunning... because it will pull emotions out of you, because it will create an experience you otherwise would never have...

American Gods is more of a compromise between these more esoteric elements and a more digestible story... their IS a cohesive story, a plot with characters who have their own motivations... but Bryan Fuller is masterful at telling a cohesive story WITH beautiful tone establishing moments.... and his works would be lesser without them... just as dark souls would be lesser without its difficulty

that doesn't mean that dark souls is for everyone, and int eh same way American Gods is not either.. but those moments are NOT weaknesses, they are strengths

for example... this si the kind of scene often criticized in Hannibal

I see that scene and I think "perfection".. the richly textured shots, oily dark like a painting, the music creating a sense of unease as it slowly builds, the way the shots show her framed in elements of Hannibals world, like the extravagant food decorations, it frames her as a prisoner without bonds.. tied in with gillian anderson's performance it all clicks into place and establishes the tone.... to me that is where Hannibal shines... but so many complain that it is style over substance... that style is all about substance... the substance of emotion, of tone, of mood

that isn't to say that I thought American Gods was perfect (although I would say that about the early episodes of season 3 of Hannibal).. it wasn't... it is a first season and as shows do, it takes time for the Showrunners to find the right voice for the material... season 2 of Hannibal was notably better than season 1... and I suspect the same will be true for american gods

btw... American gods also ended an episode earlier than they intended for the season.... they decided during the writing process to cut the last episode out because they struggled getting it to work as a season finale... there is a key event coming that would have been in episode 9 of season 1... but will now be part of season 2

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@theMightyME I don't disagree with you about the value of using whatever cinematographic techniques to allow the audience to have some insight into a piece of work. I just really don't think Fuller is as good at it as he's hyped up to be, certainly not enough to say that he isn't sometimes harming his works' pacing because of it.

theMightyME

@theMightyME I don't disagree with you about the value of using whatever cinematographic techniques to allow the audience to have some insight into a piece of work. I just really don't think Fuller is as good at it as he's hyped up to be, certainly not enough to say that he isn't sometimes harming his works' pacing because of it.
I disagree because i love that pacing... I thought the first 3 episodes of season 3 are among the best of the series... The pacing isn't flawed, it is divisive.. It isn't that i forgive bad pacing, but that i like the way it is paced... That is my key point...

Take for example Monster Hunter... I hate the game... Never had a lick of fun with it... You love it... It probably isn't that you like it in spite of the things i dislike about it, but rather that the things i dislike are things that you like... So i don't say monster hunter is bad, because i can see the quality of it through your eyes and those of others here who adore it... I will probably never like the game... But i don't see the things i dislike as being flaws, but rather as being divisive features... That isn't always the case.... There are also examples of games or shows or movies that i dislike because of clear and actual flaws... And there are shows i enjoy in spite of clear and obvious flaws... The pacing in Hannibal and American Gods is not a flaw... There are flaws in American Gods, and there are flaws in the first season of Hannibal... I can also think of a single shot in season 3 that i consider to be objecrively bad...

But the exact things you dislike about Hannibal season 3 are the exact things i love about it

Last edited:

Socar

that is a bunch of babbling nonsense

1. Mother 3 is a strange issue, apparently a lot of the music in the game is full on rip-off of Beatles music, which could get them sued in America, but not in japan where the copyright laws are more lax... Nintendo could chose to find other ways though, they could chance it, they could change the music, etc... or they very well might actually release it at some later date when it bests suit them to do so... before e3 you could have said "if Nintendo was listening we would be getting Metroid prime 4"... well... now they have... in a month they could announce Mother 3 and your point would be invalidated.... haven't done yet is not never doing... I remember you being convinced and sure of yourself that Metroid would never happen... now we have 2 coming.

2. listening and doing are not the same thing... just as thinking and acting are not the same thing, or considering and performing are not the same thing... you say fans would have bought a linear Zelda... sure, they definitely would have... except... not as many would have, and mind share would have dipped (you really need to try and understand mindshare, it is important and you seem to have no concept of it)... If Nintendo had put out a more linear Zelda, and then another more linear Zelda, and then another more linear Zelda, the numbers would decline over time... reinvention boosts momentum.

3. This is why I said Nintendo shouldn't always DO what fans want, but listen to what they want... also.. Nintendo fans are not a single unified voice... I am a huge Nintendo fan, I wanted exactly what the switch was, I have been writing articles about it for YEARS... the reason I want it isn't even because I want something portable... but because I want the unified library of games... and even the hardcore power fans of Nintendo that want them doing a 4k wonderbox probably want a unified library too... they just want it to be all on a console, and that doesn't work for a whole other portion of their audience... like the entire nation of Japan.

4. Fans shouldn't ever try to "help" corporations... we have an unspoken contract with corporations, they make stuff we want, we buy it... It is hard to demand things that we have not considered, and that is why Nintendo needs to listen to fans but not always do what we are asking for... some things they SHOULD do but don't... like mother 3, some things they shouldn't do, but do... like federation forces.... but usually it is a compromise that works... that allows us new and interesting IPs like Splatoon that a fan could have never asked for directly, but that in many ways (in being a competitive multiplayer shooter) matches EXACTLY what a segment of their fanbase was asking for... when that compromise happens and works... it is a HUGE success

5. your last statement is just pure babbling nonsense... nobody complained that Kid Icarus was different, because the original was super dated.. on the other hand EVERYONE complained that Metroid prime was different... until they played it. Then you say again that f-zero will never come back when you used to say the same thing about Metroid... and now that Metroid is coming you act like it is a huge tragedy for the company... Nintendo got more buzz and mindshare off of a f'n logo for Metroid Prime 4 then they did for the rest of their entire conference... it has ALREADY paid off... AGAIN, you need to understand the importance of mindshare... Sega, as part of their marketing, called Nintendo a system for kids in the 16-bit era, a statement with SOME validity, but a statement that created a stigma that Nintendo is STILL suffering under... the result was that they lost mindshare with a specific demographic (mostly little kids that didn't want to be seen as little kids, which is sadly a very large demographic)...
1. While I still don't get why Nintendo values Metroid, again, they love surprising people and that surprise alone is worth to hype for it. So yeah I'm wrong in that but how much so? We don't even know how well this will sell in the end and if it doesn't deliver expectations, it will end up with the F-Zero bandwagon.

2. Change is something that will always happen whether fans want it to change or not. Even if fans don't want changes, Nintendo will still do something new to the existing IPs because innovation is first and foremost to them. Nobody is complaining how Kirby games constantly change because the changes themselves are acceptable thus making it consistently good.

If the IP has very little room for innovation, the IP is dead rather than dormant. Examples include F-Zero. Whether fans want that or not doesn't really matter. Nintendo in the end needs to make games to the ones who bought their systems. Only thing that can really help them is constructive criticisms given to fans because let's face it, perfect games don't exist.

3. Well all I can say for this is..good luck waiting for Nintendo to make a system that supports 4k because by the time that happens, who knows? 6k might take place?

4.Then why is that whole "Corporates should just leave fan work alone thing" Exaggerated time and time again? It neither helps the fans nor does it help Nintendo in any way.

5. Well we don't know how Metroid Prime 4 will be considering its not developed by Retro which is rather odd. Who knows? It might end up being like Star Fox Zero with passable graphics and all. Right now, the IP lacks expansions which is needed for an IP inorder to develop the IP further for spin offs to work and spin offs are needed to appeal to different types of audiences which is why Nintendo's IP's are that important.

I get that your argument that Nintendo should try to listen to fans. But that can never work out right because again Sticker Star didn't have a well written story because of the fans feedback.

Socar

What? That makes no sense, you cant fault fans for that trash.
Supposedly there was a survey that Nintendo gave that had comments mention to remove story in Sticker Star.

But even then, that's just an example. The real example will come from Fire Emblem Warriors. If the game doesn't do well, fans are to be blamed for that because that's what they wanted Nintendo to do for a long time.

I can still however blame fans for bringing up that fan project crap that not only wastes Nintendo's time of ceasing such stuff but also the fan itself cause really though..if you had such talent to do stuff like that, you'd make your own game.

Socar

Socar, do you not like the Metroid franchise or something? Because that's all I seem to get out of you from this.
I don't hate it but I'm not that big into it..well besides Fusion but that's just it.

The issue here is how many seem to think that Metroid is an important IP when really, there aren't that many games that Nintendo milked a lot to it..its not even as big of an IP as Zelda.

I got nothing against the IP. Infact, its really great to have Metroid back. What I'm trying to tell here is if the game does NOT sell as what Nintendo expects it to sell, who's to blame here? Nintendo or the fans?

Shoulder

So Jim Gaffigan is going to be in town where I live in July, and general ticket sales went online at 10am CST. They were sold out within minutes for 4 shows on a weekend at our local Comedy club (which seats maybe 180 or so). A co-worker of mine went online at 10am to get some tickets, and wanted originally 6 for him and his buddies, but that wasn't possible, so he went back, tried again with only 2 tickets, and within that 4 minute process or less, all tickets were sold out.

Like, DAYUM!

So why am I saying this? Well, I can only hope the SNES Classic does not sell out as fast, because I am determined to score one. I'm already getting myself set up with alerts across a few different sites, as well as twitter updates, so we'll see if it makes a difference. I'm not holding my breath, but I will not give up to get one. Not this time around. I can accept not getting the NES Classic, but I seriously want the SNES. The SNES in general means more to me as a gamer than the NES, mostly because I grew up more playing the SNES than NES, even though I started with the NES back in the day.

:mpray:

Shoulder

I don't hate it but I'm not that big into it..well besides Fusion but that's just it.

The issue here is how many seem to think that Metroid is an important IP when really, there aren't that many games that Nintendo milked a lot to it..its not even as big of an IP as Zelda.

I got nothing against the IP. Infact, its really great to have Metroid back. What I'm trying to tell here is if the game does NOT sell as what Nintendo expects it to sell, who's to blame here? Nintendo or the fans?
I think you really should dive more into Metroid, or at the minimum explore more about it so you can understand why it's such an important IP. Perhaps you won't find as much interest in the franchise, but there are millions who have played and loved the games over the years. Between Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime, those are widely considered some of the greatest games not just of the franchise, but some of the greatest games ever designed. I know Prime is in my top 10 greatest, and Super Metroid was a thoroughly enjoyable experience that I was glad to finally play only a few years ago.

One thing I will say is you really shouldn't think too much about the "what if." What if Metroid Prime 4 sells well? What if it doesn't? What if the game is shit? What if it isn't? All I'm saying is that is a slippery slope into the hypothetical. To be fair, I am very much guilty of this, as I do far too much analyzing of shit like this when in the face of it, is not really that significant of a matter.

And who's to blame? Well, would it make any difference? If the game is shit, would placing the blame onto Nintendo, or the fans really solve the issue? I will say this though. When Metroid: Samus Returns was announced, some folks were quick to say it's going to be a shit game because of the developer, MercurySteam, who made I guess a terrible Castlevania game for the 3DS. And that Metroid was for the 3DS, and not a Switch game also turned away people. I look at this from two perspectives. On the one hand, I understand the appeal of having Samus Returns on the Switch in anticipation for MP4, but on the same token, the 3DS is slowly fading out, so having a (potentially) high-note send-off is a good thing for the 3DS. It's the same reason why I thought it was the right call to keep Breath of the Wild on the Wii U rather than cancel it outright, and stick only to the Switch version. That one game will mark the Wii U having a proper send off before it fades completely, especially since it'll also come with all the DLC to boot. That parity between the Wii U, and Switch with regards to BotW is a good thing for both Nintendo, and fans.

Now, switching gears to Metroid, Samus Returns appears to be shaping up quite nicely if early first impressions from E3 are anything to go by. It does make me more hopeful that Samus Returns will be a good Metroid title (especially better than FF), and it'll wet our appetites until MP4 arrives. But I also suspect that at some point either late this year, or Spring of next year, the Metroid Prime trilogy will be ported over to the Switch. It makes no sense for gamers to have only MP4 on the Switch, and not include the first three. Will it happen? Don't know. I'd like for it to happen, but this being Nintendo, you just never know.

A company such as Tantalus, who ported the excellent Twilight Princess over to the Wii U, could easily use their newly companionship with Nintendo, and port over MP Trilogy to the Switch. Given what we know of MP4, that it's in development, I think it's more likely now than before we will be seeing it. But I digress.

Given how Metroid has been one of Nintendo's longest lasting franchises, going all the way back to the NES, I still think it's one of the more important franchises in Nintendo's arsenal, so it stands to reason to keep supporting it. And with regards to innovating, unlike Zelda, which is a hodgepodge of games that are trying to fit into a timeline, Metroid does have an established timeline that was made that way from the start. It might not give the developers as much freedom to explore how the character of Samus can grow, and her adventures, but it does keep things centered and focused. Zelda on the other hand, like Mario, only seems set on a damsel in distress, and usually the same villain, but that's another topic for another time.

I like the idea of Trilogy HD, but its not necessary. Phazon is kill, you dont really need that story. Metroid Prime 4 wont be called Metroid Prime 4 on release anyway.

What they should do is make a Metroid Prime Hunters HD, which will likely lead better into the game better than the trilogy.

Trilogy HD will happen, not this year but yeah probably sometime before Prime 4.

I like the idea of Trilogy HD, but its not necessary. Phazon is kill, you dont really need that story. Metroid Prime 4 wont be called Metroid Prime 4 on release anyway.

What they should do is make a Metroid Prime Hunters HD, which will likely lead better into the game better than the trilogy.

Trilogy HD will happen, not this year but yeah probably sometime before Prime 4.
Remember when "Other M" was just supposed to be a code name?

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Are you saying that it won't have the 4 and just be Metroid Prime: Insert Sub Name Here
or
that it will be Metroid Prime 4
or
that it will be Metroid Prime 4: Insert Sub Name Here

Edit: Because I believe it will be "Metroid Prime 4: Insert Sub Name Here" as all the other sequels have been.

Socar

@Shoulder

So far I have played NES Metroid, Metroid 2, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission..I've never played the prime games. But I really do like Metroid but until now, I just didn't have so much faith into it. But I do like Metroid but again, not as much. Heck I just got Super Metroid on 3DS recently and I haven't even touched it yet...for some reason.

That said, I do want to get Metroid Samus Returns because it looks like a really fun game and if anything, it might be even better than the original cause I just can't bear to play the original one...

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
entertainment is also art... and like with art their is stuff out there that is higher level, that is doing things beyond our base interests.... that isn't soemthing that should be seen as a condemnation of the work... quite the opposite... I drew a parallel to the "git gud" comments made by competitive gamers when people complain that a game is too hard because it is similar.... though in the case of american gods FAR less demanding....

I mean this Sunday's Twin Peaks requires a LOT of patience.. it was basically 10 minutes of plot followed by 50 minutes of trippy imagery... for THAT you might have more of a point... American Gods doesn't go even remotely that far.... but it does dwell on moments in order to affect tone... and that IS important... I would argue that tone is as important as plot... because tone establishes emotion

In the case of Twin Peaks last episode... I could see some people would be like "wtf is this?" but to me Lynch is ALL about tone.. at the expense of plot... trying to pick out the plot of a David Lynch work is pointless.. so why watch? because it is stunning... because it will pull emotions out of you, because it will create an experience you otherwise would never have...

American Gods is more of a compromise between these more esoteric elements and a more digestible story... their IS a cohesive story, a plot with characters who have their own motivations... but Bryan Fuller is masterful at telling a cohesive story WITH beautiful tone establishing moments.... and his works would be lesser without them... just as dark souls would be lesser without its difficulty

that doesn't mean that dark souls is for everyone, and int eh same way American Gods is not either.. but those moments are NOT weaknesses, they are strengths

for example... this is the kind of scene often criticized in Hannibal

I see that scene and I think "perfection".. the richly textured shots, oily dark like a painting, the music creating a sense of unease as it slowly builds, the way the shots show her framed in elements of Hannibals world, like the extravagant food decorations, it frames her as a prisoner without bonds.. tied in with gillian anderson's performance it all clicks into place and establishes the tone.... to me that is where Hannibal shines... but so many complain that it is style over substance... that style is all about substance... the substance of emotion, of tone, of mood

that isn't to say that I thought American Gods was perfect (although I would say that about the early episodes of season 3 of Hannibal).. it wasn't... it is a first season and as shows do, it takes time for the Showrunners to find the right voice for the material... season 2 of Hannibal was notably better than season 1... and I suspect the same will be true for american gods

btw... American gods also ended an episode earlier than they intended for the season.... they decided during the writing process to cut the last episode out because they struggled getting it to work as a season finale... there is a key event coming that would have been in episode 9 of season 1... but will now be part of season 2
You sure Hannibal gets criticised for this kind of scene? This scene tells you a story: it builds the character of what's-her-face and it doesn't bother me at all. I thought the most common criticism was how pretentious some aspects of the series felt, which may have been the intention since most of the characters are assholes putting up a front. It's definitely one of my favourites, and I'm really glad you recommended it to me, but some edits felt unnecessarily long and contrived, particular the sex scenes (mostly the sex scenes). I always found sex scenes to be unnecessary, since it's rarely ever used to tell a story. But when they start visually experimenting with it AND conveying absolutely nothing with it, it made me almost appreciate the raw ones. Season 3 had a lot of these drawn out dialog-less scenes, but it only bothered me at the sex bits, and all the visual pretense (minus the kaleidoscope sex) was accumulating to something.

Last edited:
Are you saying that it won't have the 4 and just be Metroid Prime: Insert Sub Name Here
or
that it will be Metroid Prime 4
or
that it will be Metroid Prime 4: Insert Sub Name Here

Edit: Because I believe it will be "Metroid Prime 4: Insert Sub Name Here" as all the other sequels have been.
What's the bet? And what are we betting for? A free copy of Metroid Prime 4?
I would go with the former, thats its Metroid Prime: Subtitle, as all the non-Phazon games have been known as.
Also damn, whats with y'all trying to bleed games outta me? I wanna use this money for something :)
Nope, it'd be a profile bet, and that has other caveats depending on who, if anyone, takes it.
For example, if Shoulder took it, I would control his icon, signature, motto, and little smiley thing for a month.
If SJ took it, I would have control over his icon on Twitter for just a week.

Vice versa, of course, but I'm just stating the realistic outcomes.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Seeing as the two sequels to Metroid Prime had numbers in their names and a subtitle, I have a feeling it will be Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle

Edit: Not saying I'm taking the bet, just saying how I feel it will go. Spin-offs didn't have numbers, just subtitles. But since this is the next in the number series, I think it will be Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle

Shoulder

I would go with the former, thats its Metroid Prime: Subtitle, as all the non-Phazon games have been known as.
Also damn, whats with y'all trying to bleed games outta me? I wanna use this money for something :)
Nope, it'd be a profile bet, and that has other caveats depending on who, if anyone, takes it.
For example, if Shoulder took it, I would control his icon, signature, motto, and little smiley thing for a month.
If SJ took it, I would have control over his icon on Twitter for just a week.

Vice versa, of course, but I'm just stating the realistic outcomes.
I'm with Steve, and I'll say it'll be Metroid Prime 4: SubtitlethatdoesntinvolvePhazon. So we know what you'd do if you won the bet, but neither of us have talked specifics for if either of us win.

Could do a simple profile pic like I did with @mattavelle1 when his Go Big Blue team team lost against my Lets Go Red team.

Decisions...

Now that we have all had a few months to play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I was wondering if y'all would be down for a prolonged discussion about its design and gameplay? I have been compiling pages of notes from while I was playing it and analyzing it post game, and I would love to share my thoughts on with you guys as well as hear your own interpretation of the game, as well as what your hopes are for future games in the series. I will gladly create a new thread dedicated specifically for this discussion if you guys are up for it.

Shoulder

I roll high stakes or I dont roll at all.
Where's your confidence in your decision :^)

If I win, you owe me a copy of Metroid Prime 4. If you win, I buy you a copy. Deal?

But let's make it clear of the parameters here. You said, and I quote:

I think (Steve thinks so as well) it'll be Metroid Prime 4: Insert Subtitle.

Damn you, stepping in the way of my amazing Twitter icon bet.

And your stance is Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle correct?
I'll take it. My entire 2018 library will be purchased by TNE users it seems :^)
I want it launch day.
Speaking of TNE bought games. Did the Super Mario Odyssey order go through? I noticed it was removed from the wish list I sent you.

theMightyME

You sure Hannibal gets criticised for this kind of scene? This scene tells you a story: it builds the character of what's-her-face and it doesn't bother me at all. I thought the most common criticism was how pretentious some aspects of the series felt, which may have been the intention since most of the characters are assholes putting up a front. It's definitely one of my favourites, and I'm really glad you recommended it to me, but some edits felt unnecessarily long and contrived, particular the sex scenes (mostly the sex scenes). I always found sex scenes to be unnecessary, since it's rarely ever used to tell a story. But when they start visually experimenting with it AND conveying absolutely nothing with it, it made me almost appreciate the raw ones. Season 3 had a lot of these drawn out dialog-less scenes, but it only bothered me at the sex bits, and all the visual pretense (minus the kaleidoscope sex) was accumulating to something.
it wasn't the first scene I wanted to use... I couldn't find a clip of the long motorcycle scene ....

you ARE the first person I have ever heard say they didn't like the kaleidoscopic lesbian sex scene though... Bryan Fuller actually got a letter from standards and practices congratulating him on the amount of crass sexual imagery he was able to get away with... the kaleidoscope effect is used to hint at things like fingering and such in a way they never could have done without using the effect...

I think it is the most artistically creative sex scene since the marla sex scene in fight club...

as for its point.. it was our first knowledge that the 2 characters were involved, and as the scene progresses we see on their faces their reactions to eahcother and the relationship they are now in

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Damn this is so soon! And in between here and there we have a maelstrom of ARMS, Splatoon 2, Monster Hunter XX, Pokken, and a few indie games that looked pretty good. I could get rid of my PC and still have a game to play every day on my Switch.

I really don't know how they plan on keeping this up for 2018, or what kinds of games we'll be getting then.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Damn this is so soon! And in between here and there we have a maelstrom of ARMS, Splatoon 2, Monster Hunter XX, Pokken, and a few indie games that looked pretty good. I could get rid of my PC and still have a game to play every day on my Switch.

I really don't know how they plan on keeping this up for 2018, or what kinds of games we'll be getting then.
FTFY

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Did anyone get further in Disgaea 5 Complete?

Between diving back into XCX or SMT IV, buying P4G and Odin Sphere HD on PS TV, and the inevitable Xenoblade 2 purchase, I find it hard to justify another RPG. But I've never played Disgaea, and if it's awesome, my Switch collection is sparse.
Now that we have all had a few months to play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I was wondering if y'all would be down for a prolonged discussion about its design and gameplay? I have been compiling pages of notes from while I was playing it and analyzing it post game, and I would love to share my thoughts on with you guys as well as hear your own interpretation of the game, as well as what your hopes are for future games in the series. I will gladly create a new thread dedicated specifically for this discussion if you guys are up for it.
Knock your socks off, dude. Truthfully, though, I dunno how much more I could really discuss the nuts and bolts of BotW's design. It's basically GOAT-tier because it makes you forget about its design template.
One thing I will say is you really shouldn't think too much about the "what if." What if Metroid Prime 4 sells well? What if it doesn't? What if the game is shit? What if it isn't? All I'm saying is that is a slippery slope into the hypothetical. To be fair, I am very much guilty of this, as I do far too much analyzing of shit like this when in the face of it, is not really that significant of a matter.
What if anyone is right about sales data?

Did anyone get further in Disgaea 5 Complete?

Between diving back into XCX or SMT IV, buying P4G and Odin Sphere HD on PS TV, and the inevitable Xenoblade 2 purchase, I find it hard to justify another RPG. But I've never played Disgaea, and if it's awesome, my Switch collection is sparse.

Knock your socks off, dude. Truthfully, though, I dunno how much more I could really discuss the nuts and bolts of BotW's design. It's basically GOAT-tier because it makes you forget about its design template.

What if anyone is right about sales data?

I have not made it very far into Disgea 5 yet, but from what I can tell it is mechanically very similar to Fire Emblem and
Final Fantasy Tactics, alebti with the combo moves cranked up to 12; So to is the "anime" in the game however; if your not into the most blatant style of Anime, it might be a barrier of entry for you, it is at least for me.

Ill go ahead and make the Zelda thread tomorrow when I get back.