The Great CT - Community Thread

Well I've been up to a lot recently. College, then Jury Duty, my best friend from America visiting me, work....tomorrow it's back to normal and going to college again. Yesterday I brought my Wii U to a friends house and played Smash, Kart, Game&Wario, NintendoLand. Awesome fun times. My Easter break has been a good one.

Hoping to finish MM3D today, and then I shall finally move onto MH4U! Pre-ordered Splatoon yesterday, comes with a snazzy shirt and amiibo, I am excite.

How are we all?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well I've been up to a lot recently. College, then Jury Duty, my best friend from America visiting me, work....tomorrow it's back to normal and going to college again. Yesterday I brought my Wii U to a friends house and played Smash, Kart, Game&Wario, NintendoLand. Awesome fun times. My Easter break has been a good one.

Hoping to finish MM3D today, and then I shall finally move onto MH4U! Pre-ordered Splatoon yesterday, comes with a snazzy shirt and amiibo, I am excite.

How are we all?
I'm good kickin it as usual. I enjoy your post about your break, sounds like you have had a good time.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
@theMightyME - My Galaxy S4 just updated to Lollipop. Hope it doesn't wreck my battery. Seems like pretty nippy performance thus far.

EDIT: Oh, this is great. Where are widgets? Used to be right there alongside the app menu.

Nevermind. You have to tap and hold a blank spot on a home screen. Kinda silly, but at least they're still there.
You're killing me, man. I've listened to this twice already.

Last edited:
Would anyone like to check out my new YouTube show? A part of the ZBN thing but it's a new show where me and my friend talk about our top 8's in stuff, mostly gaming.
If you comment, I'll give ya a hug. <3

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Damnit TNE, I go and have a social life the last couple days while pretty much avoiding TNE to not be a douche on my phone at a party or crawfish boil and you guys have freakin' been epic without me!

Xenoblade Mech and Online stuff happened and I don't know what's up.
Monster Hunter Stories looks amazing.
Funny shit all throughout this thread.
Splatoon videos that give me a case of the hypes.

I left my computer on the whole time while I was out and come back to all this awesome. Now there are like 10 tabs open and I can't even...

But I ate crawfish....so many crawfish that I'm starting to become what I eat and have a proclivity to building little mud huts and pinching strangers...so I guess that's cool.

Come at me bro!

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Oh my god, I literally just dreamed of the most fucking badass idea for a video game.

Refusing quest rewards. It's fucking perfect. Help out an NPC through a rough time, and you feel guilty about taking something from them? Refuse the reward. Have to collect 70 bear asses for some dickweed? Take the reward. JRPG's usually lack actual roleplaying in your characters, so this could actually be really interesting
let me add to that... some proud people will be insulted if you refuse their reward, and it could lead to trouble later one.... so in general, refusing a reward can be harmful to you... besides the example I gave... their could be an instance where people take advantage of you, and the rewards offered are lesser, or non existant.... and while playign with the idea of rewards.. what if a village gives you its treasured item.. and you just sell it or something... what if that stirre dup some grudge

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
I'm really surprised ProjectxZone is getting a sequel. The first one was so boring and not worth spending money on. Maybe my views on this would change? I'm really hoping they improve greatly on this one. Nevertheless as it is now, it's not my cup of tea.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
First page! That new CT smell is always glorious (or I'm sure it would be if you could smell over the internet :p).
I am 69% certain that I have literally smelled certain recesses of the interwebs.

You're killing me, man. I've listened to this twice already.
Isn't it great? I've listened to it no less than 5 times start to finish in the past 30 hours. Credit/blame goes to @LightsaberBlues for putting us onto this addiction. I am but a humble re-poster.

I picked up Demon's Souls and put some time into it.

The game is bullshit.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I picked up Demon's Souls and put some time into it.

The game is bullshit.
Dark Souls was a better game to get into the series with. Because it allows you to explore different areas until you find something you can push through, it allows you to gradually get better at the game. Demon's Souls is just a bunch of brick walls you have to tear down before proceeding.

But since you're already there, keep going man, it's a great game.

Dark Souls was a better game to get into the series with. Because it allows you to explore different areas until you find something you can push through, it allows you to gradually get better at the game. Demon's Souls is just a bunch of brick walls you have to tear down before proceeding.

But since you're already there, keep going man, it's a great game.
I don't know. The idea of getting frustrated for 30 - 40 hours isn't my idea of entertainment.

Zelda 2, Ghost n' Goblins, Demon's Crest, all got a pattern. I like to think I'm good at reconizing patterns, and my reaction time is pretty solid, my friends hate playing Smash with me because they go awhile without hitting me sometimes.

But this? Walking down a hallway only to get blindsided, or having to fall down pits on narrow wooden beams, and if you ain't 100% perfect, you slip off and die. Or my favorite, dodging a projectile but it curves mid air and homes in on you. That's just shit

I beat Tower Knight and Armoured Spider first try, I want to see what the next boss is, but actually getting to the boss is so un-fun that I'm tempted just to youtube what they look like.

I want to like the game, and I'm up for a good challenge, but so far the game is just "lol so hard omgs". Artificial difficulty.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
DS games are a love em or leave em kind of affair.... There is no fucking middle ground to speak of....

It doesn't surprise me that CoV is frustrated by the games design, it's fucking designed to be that way....

But there in lies the genius of it, at least to the people who that kind of thing appeals to.... One persons trash is another persons yada, yada, yada....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I don't know. The idea of getting frustrated for 30 - 40 hours isn't my idea of entertainment.

Zelda 2, Ghost n' Goblins, Demon's Crest, all got a pattern. I like to think I'm good at reconizing patterns, and my reaction time is pretty solid, my friends hate playing Smash with me because they go awhile without hitting me sometimes.

But this? Walking down a hallway only to get blindsided, or having to fall down pits on narrow wooden beams, and if you ain't 100% perfect, you slip off and die. Or my favorite, dodging a projectile but it curves mid air and homes in on you. That's just shit

I beat Tower Knight and Armoured Spider first try, I want to see what the next boss is, but actually getting to the boss is so un-fun that I'm tempted just to youtube what they look like.

I want to like the game, and I'm up for a good challenge, but so far the game is just "lol so hard omgs". Artificial difficulty.
There are a few tricks that will make the game a lot more fun for you. For starters, rolls have invincibility frames, so learning to time your rolls to dodge through projectiles and predictable enemy attacks will allow you to bypass a lot of the cheap challenges of the games. And if you have a shield, it's always better to block and lose a bit of health than to risk taking full damage, especially since you can stock up on healing items big time so that having some of your health chipped away isn't a big concern.

But Demon's Souls is inherently bullshit on multiple levels. It's why I always recommend Dark Souls 1 and 2 before Demon's Souls; they still have some serious bullshit areas (Blighttown and Lost Izalith come to mind), but it's never as bad as the golden skeletons or the valley of defilement in DeS. Or the fact that you have to cross a whole level every single time you want to fight a boss, which is where the games' real, fair challenge lies. That really is more of a test of patience, which is again much less pronounced in DaS and even less so in DaS2.

I mean, if you decide to drop the game after you get your shit pushed in by the Flamefucker, the Old Hero (after finally getting through the brutal fisting that is 4-2, LOL), or the Maneater(s), I'd totally understand. I had already beaten Dark Souls multiple times before I played DeS, and still had serious trouble with the first two of those bosses, especially because of their stupid levels.

But give Dark Souls a chance. It's a very different game because of it being heavy on the exploration (get the master key as your character's gift when you start the game) and there's no need to play the series in release date order, you don't benefit from it much, except maybe in the case of DaS2 since that one is basically an expansion of some of the things the fans liked in the first DaS.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
DS games are a love em or leave em kind of affair.... There is no fucking middle ground to speak of....

It doesn't surprise me that CoV is frustrated by the games design, it's fucking designed to be that way....

But there in lies the genius of it, at least to the people who that kind of thing appeals to.... One persons trash is another persons yada, yada, yada....
I just find it funny when I read a review for some game, and people complain about how difficult it is, and yet for a Dark Souls game, they praise the difficulty.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
I just find it funny when I read a review for some game, and people complain about how difficult it is, and yet for a Dark Souls game, they praise the difficulty.
Dark Souls is only difficult until you figure out the method. There is always some kind of trick to making your life easier during battles, especially the bosses. Then it becomes a bore. That reminds me, I need to finish the first one. I love the game, I just wished they took better care programming it.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
I had a great spring break, and finally got around to getting on Nintendo Enthusiast again yay!! I am not going to be able to be on more often for the next 9 weeks though, so I will see you guys in time for E3.

BTW, Game of Thrones finally begun again last night, and last night's episode was pretty much just setting things up, four major plot lines were set up meanwhile a couple were just a continuation. Not gonna post major spoilers, but there were a couple of big things happening last night and major deviations from the books happening. I don't mind though, this way makes the show far more interesting. The episode didn't have much in the way of action though... pretty lackluster when it came to advancing the King's Landing, Tyrion's and Brienne's storyline though it set up for very interesting things to happen in episode 2.

Daredevil finally started on Netflix on Friday and me and my cousins were bingewatching it this whole weekend. We are almost finished, up to episode 10 out of the 13, but so far it has been spectacular. Definitely up and higher than Arrow when it comes to super hero shows ( haven't seen Carter or Flash yet). Its really gory though, some really gruesome deaths here and there, but the villain is really good and I absolutely love him here. The main character is also pretty damn awesome, the actor is doing a great job. Hard to believe this is taking in the same universe as the Avengers though, it's far darker than any other film or show in the MCU even though it has it has its silliness here and there.

Got Valkyria Chronicles and Alien Isolation too, even though I haven't gotten very far in either, though from first impressions both are excellent. Also caught Amiibola and already have 5 Amiibos in the collection -_-.

Anyhow, this is all I really have to say for now. I enjoyed my spring break immensely, spent a lot of it on here and with friends. Got over my fear of rollercoasters over at California too, I hate them now though, they make me nauseous. And meanwhile I'm typing this before I get on the bus, wish me luck for these next 9 weeks.

See you guys on E3! Also, is it me or is the forum being spammed? I clicked the thread about healthy fats and tried going to the website but my anti virus blocked it.... same thing with the other thread that I think is made by the same person since it has the same link.

Anyhow, bye for reals, hope everyone has a good day.

Odo

It sucks. First Game of Thrones episode was too short. You wait for one year to watch 1 hour episode. It doesn't make sense.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I think that the difference is that From Soft designs its games this way on purpose....

As apposed to a game that is just difficult due to lack of design choices....

Reviewers go into a From Soft game having certain expectations, one of those expectations is the extreme difficulty....

IN the DS games the difficulty is part of the fun.... Vs a game that is so difficult it eclispes the fun all together....

From Soft tries to find that balance between extreme difficulty and fun....

There has been a resurgence of these kind of difficult games over the past 5 years....

Roguelikes and games like DS are en vogue these days.... These kind of experiences are making a huge comeback....

Though, they are still not everyones cup of tea.... Extremely difficult games are more appriciated these days....

By gamers and reviewers alike....

Probably due to the fact that games have been doing extreme amounts of hand holding for many years now.... I think at some point gamers just got tired of it....

Thus making certain games that incorperate extreme difficulty into their design much more appealing....

Last edited:
I thought a bit more about DeS.

From what I've experienced, it seems like it's loved because it was marketed that way. "Prepare to die" and all that shit. If From Soft just said "here's an action RPG", I don't think it would be as loved as it is.

Going off of that, why is Zelda 2 one of the most hated Zelda games? Different audiences I guess, but I don't know if From Soft gets a free pass just because their hiding behind the "it's suppose to be hard" statement. Would people love Zelda 2 more if it's tagline was "Ganon will kill you"?.

Platinum games are difficult without trying too hard to do it. It's frustrating hearing most people praise the Souls games, but then moan about Wonderful 101 or even Donkey Kong.

It's like all these SyFy movies, Sharknado and stuff. They're shit movies. "B-but they're suppose to be bad".

Not saying DeS is bad, I'm saying if the game is designed to be bullshitty, it's still bullshit.

Unless I'm missing some magical thing here, I don't think I'll be returning to this series - maybe one more try after South Park.

And I know, Zelda 2, Ghost n' Goblins, they have their bullshit too, but not 30+ hours of it

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think where you are mistaken @CitizenOfVerona is in viewing the challenge as an end in itself in these games. The challenge is there for the sake of making exploration more tense and rewarding. Only boss fights are meant to be challenging for challenge itself.

So it either is for you, or it isn't. For me, it clicked the very first night I played Dark Souls, when got my ass handed to me by skeletons in the graveyard until I got good enough to push through them, only to find that there were even more skeletons in the catacombs and I was absolutely going the wrong way. It was all about the exploration.

On the other hand, I really gotta question your decision to ignore the whole series based on playing Demon's Souls, the most bullshitty game in the series. That'd be like ditching the Mega Man series because you played Mega Man 1 first and didn't like how stupid that game's challenge was. Demon's Souls may actually be much more interesting in its series than Mega Man 1 is in its own, but in terms of the challenge the comparison is pretty apt.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
So there are 10 days left until the new MK8 DLC comes out. I wanted to do my top 10 courses count down type thingy where I upload some time trial runs showing off the level.

Can anyone who can record video help me out by uplaoding the time trials? If we're Wii U friends, you should be able to see the TT by going to Time Trials > Donut Plains > Online Ghosts. Scroll down and you should be able to see it.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Where'd you find Lazerhawk, @LightsaberBlues?
I started getting into Retro New Wave last year on youtube.... But I've always been a huge fan of electronic music....

Probably since I first heard the Transformers Movie Soundtrack in 1986....

But yeah, youtube is a great place to find Lazerhawk music.... I just happened upon it by chance one day, been hooked ever since....

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

I started getting into Retro New Wave last year on youtube.... But I've always been a huge fan of electronic music....

Probably since I first heard the Transformers Movie Soundtrack in 1986....

But yeah, youtube is a great place to find Lazerhawk music.... I just happened upon it by chance one day, been hooked ever since....

It's badass stuff. Big ups for hipping the rest of us to it. :mthumb:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
So there are 10 days left until the new MK8 DLC comes out. I wanted to do my top 10 courses count down type thingy where I upload some time trial runs showing off the level.

Can anyone who can record video help me out by uplaoding the time trials? If we're Wii U friends, you should be able to see the TT by going to Time Trials > Donut Plains > Online Ghosts. Scroll down and you should be able to see it.
I'll look into this today....

EvilTw1n

Found a copy of Pandora's Tower today....

Wondering if I should finish Xenoblade before I boot it up....

Think I might have to.... Just doesn't seem right....
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude. You found my favorite of the OpRainfall games. I really hope you enjoy it. One of the more underrated games of recent vintage, I think.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Honestly you can do Pandora's Tower before finishing Xenoblade, especially since Xenoblade is so long, and they're so different.

Then again you could finish Xenoblade now before XCX comes out, and then play Pandora's Tower before Zelda comes out next year.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

___mk8_gba_mario_circuit_chrispriter____by_misskatt66-d7qb9p3.jpg

Last edited:
I think where you are mistaken @CitizenOfVerona is in viewing the challenge as an end in itself in these games. The challenge is there for the sake of making exploration more tense and rewarding. Only boss fights are meant to be challenging for challenge itself.

So it either is for you, or it isn't. For me, it clicked the very first night I played Dark Souls, when got my ass handed to me by skeletons in the graveyard until I got good enough to push through them, only to find that there were even more skeletons in the catacombs and I was absolutely going the wrong way. It was all about the exploration.

On the other hand, I really gotta question your decision to ignore the whole series based on playing Demon's Souls, the most bullshitty game in the series. That'd be like ditching the Mega Man series because you played Mega Man 1 first and didn't like how stupid that game's challenge was. Demon's Souls may actually be much more interesting in its series than Mega Man 1 is in its own, but in terms of the challenge the comparison is pretty apt.
I think it's alright ignoring a series like this based on one game.

If someone doesn't like Mega Man 1, then 2-10 don't do a lot different. I hear the Souls games are similar just with a different coat of paint.

I didn't like Monster Hunter 3U, but I'm not gonna buy 4 just to see if they made it less tedious.

First impressions count for a lot, and my impressions of DeS is that I'm in no rush to see if they get better later or not.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
By the way I bought Assassin's Creed Unity. I skipped Black Flag cause I figured I didn't want to play the same game (but with sailing) again, and decided to just get Unity now. Sailing and boarding ships will probably be on Unity 2, anyway.

And Unity is a really good game. It feels like a proper sequel to AC2, with new climbing mechanics, much bigger environments, buildings, and larger and more lively crowds, and refined mechanics. For example, because combat is a bit dangerous now, it's more important now than before to be good at running away and blending with the crowd. In turn, blending with crowds is even more intuitive because there are so many people everywhere.

Oh and it finally runs well on PC. We all heard the game was a mass at launch, but it's been 5 months and 5 patches now, and it runs really well on my PC.