The Great CT - Community Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok guys, 11pm update. It ain't pretty. There is a definite river between my house and my mothers on the property next door. We have had 43+ inches of rain and will see another 10 to 15 inches by noon tomorrow. We are officially at Houston level flooding. We have contingency plans in place in case they need to evacuate tonight.

• A : If the water isn't moving too fast they can take the path I took earlier today to dig draining trench off their back porch. They have to use shovels or other objects to bang on the ground to find the rocks to stay on path. I will use a truck to shine the light so they can see where they need to go. It's dark out here.
  • B : They move to the storage shed in front of their house that is a foot higher if they can't cross.
  • C: If that begins to get compromised then we get a boat from my neighbor and row it down there to get them.
  • D: If my house is compromised then we will go next door to a neighbor and move to his second floor.
Right now we are getting the 50 or 60 mile an hour winds but the lights are on. There is lightning popping everywhere so I'm not checking levels so hopefully this doesn't creep up. The stress from these kind of situations are crazy but I'm having to keep other people together so I'm fine at the moment. They were rescuing people by helicopter the next street over earlier before they forecast another 15 inches. This could be touch and go tonight.

I'm half-heartedly playing Mario vs Rabbids tonight hoping for the best. I gotta say the best thing to come out of this storm is that we are proving that America is not as divided as people want to believe. I hate that Texas is taking the bullet but we definitely realize the blessing in disguise right now. Right now our town has a fleet of 100+ boats doing rescues and through nearly every town in South East Texas. You guys will never know the love that is flowing out here but at the same time I hope you never have to experience. This is exactly what I've seen in the past just with a different spin on things. I love this fucking state. (sorry for getting somewhat emotional here...but I feel this way for a reason.)

@mattavelle1 this is coming your way in Kentucky. Get food and water tomorrow, fill up a bathtub with water to help flush toilets, and get ready to hang tight. This storm ain't joking around and has started making a second vortex (sub tropical storm now) which is heading north. I hope this isn't coming towards anyone else but check the path just in case. I can't stress enough that this storm is literally an Act of God. It has put into perspective what Noah's flood would look like. This has only been around a week...just imagine 40 days.
After reading my word this morning and praying I checked the weather channel, and just got done reading about port author and some of the things you mentioned. And you are correct we have 100% chance of rain comin the next 2 days (thurs / Fri) my wife and I are makin pervisions to make sure we are taken care of. For a storm of that size to move in and outta yalls area 3 times, after the week of the eclipse it's also weighed heavy on me about why is this happening because it is an act of God like you say.

I'm praying for you guys I'm sorry I haven't been around more to give you some distraction. I can't imagine the type of stress you guys are under. BUT seeing the love of the people for one another has been a huge blessing in the face of such adversity.

uh huh. Not No More Heroes 3. Explanation says Travis and The Bat get sucked into the game console, where they have to beat "six games and their respective bosses". I wonder if each game is actually just a different indie game. One world being Hotline Miami themed, another after a wrestling game, etc.
Its also an indie game, not a full release, but I'm still excited.

uh huh. Not No More Heroes 3. Explanation says Travis and The Bat get sucked into the game console, where they have to beat "six games and their respective bosses". I wonder if each game is actually just a different indie game. One world being Hotline Miami themed, another after a wrestling game, etc.
*The Bad
Official PR makes it sound pretty legit

"Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes from Suda51 and Grasshopper Manufacture: Seven years have passed since the events of No More Heroes, and The Bad is determined to exact his revenge on Travis Touchdown. Just like the original cult classic, players will have to battle through multiple punk-rock levels and defeat over-the-top bosses. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch in 2018. More details about the game will be revealed in the future."
Considering it is using UE4, I dont think it will be minigame collections but an actual NMH game, just with indie collabs. Starting to think its a full release, its presence on the stream being solely because it feature indie collaborations. I cant wait!

Not sure if it was a reply or not, but for clarification I did not say No More hero "3", I only added it afterwards as a subtitle, just like the trailer did.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
6am update

I'm still good but it got real bad before water started going away. I'm unable to get out probably for days but have supplies. Electricity is in and out. My sister was rescued by cajun navy 6 miles away and you can't see roadway for miles. It's absolutely insane. I'm lucky to be on the only street without a flooded house for miles. When I get data service more reliable I'll post video. They are releasing water from dams and reservoirs. We have levees breaking and riv6/bayous cresting so the next few days I'll be sleeping very little. Probably at 60 inches of rain total. Yesterday was over 2 feet of rain alone. I'll report more later once I do rounds and check on people.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I love and hate this trailer
also man, dude directs a lot. Not the best pedigree but still houses some of my favorites.
I see nothing to hate about it. It's ridiculous, over the top, loaded with violence and gore, and it has cheesy dialogue. But you know something? I don't care. Looks awesome. Still have yet to watch 13 Assassins, but now I'll have to check it out.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don't know about y'all. But ever since the week after spla2ooner has come, my work has kicked more ass than a 1 legged man in a ass kickin contest! :mflirt:

Last edited:
I just want to give a shout out to some relatively new gaming practices. We're all quick to throw shit at companies when they inevitably fuck up, but I think it's important to applaud some positivity too.

Sonic Forces just got announced that it'll launch at $40 bucks ($55 Cana-bucks). My honest opinion of the game is that if it's essentially more Colours/Generations, then at the end of the day, it'll probably be a fun enough romp, but the story and all that look cringe-y as fuck.

Aaaaanyways, I like this trend of releasing games at a lower price point. I've been thinking forever that not every new game needs to be full price. It's nice to see some examples like the Crash Bandicoot collection get priced lower. Even Knack 2 isn't the normal full price. I know there are other examples but I just can't remember them right now. It's a shame that some people will look at this price point and say "wow Sega has no faith in the game" and not just be happy about it.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I just want to give a shout out to some relatively new gaming practices. We're all quick to throw shit at companies when they inevitably fuck up, but I think it's important to applaud some positivity too.

Sonic Forces just got announced that it'll launch at $40 bucks ($55 Cana-bucks). My honest opinion of the game is that if it's essentially more Colours/Generations, then at the end of the day, it'll probably be a fun enough romp, but the story and all that look cringe-y as fuck.

Aaaaanyways, I like this trend of releasing games at a lower price point. I've been thinking forever that not every new game needs to be full price. It's nice to see some examples like the Crash Bandicoot collection get priced lower. Even Knack 2 isn't the normal full price. I know there are other examples but I just can't remember them right now. It's a shame that some people will look at this price point and say "wow Sega has no faith in the game" and not just be happy about it.
There's definitely something to be said about games selling at lower price points. I, myself, touched upon this a couple years ago with an article on the front page. Basically, there are pros and cons for both aspects, but I do say that in general, price points could be lower in order to help drive a more long-term success for a game, rather than relying on the launch folk. So, rather than price a game at $60US for two or three months, before dropping the price point in order to drive more interest, lower the price point to begin with, and then drag that price on for an extended period of time.

Nintendo games though have been slightly different as they'll be full price for two years or longer before a price cut is announced. Gotta love that Nintendo Seal of Quality, amirite?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
There's definitely something to be said about games selling at lower price points. I, myself, touched upon this a couple years ago with an article on the front page. Basically, there are pros and cons for both aspects, but I do say that in general, price points could be lower in order to help drive a more long-term success for a game, rather than relying on the launch folk. So, rather than price a game at $60US for two or three months, before dropping the price point in order to drive more interest, lower the price point to begin with, and then drag that price on for an extended period of time.

Nintendo games though have been slightly different as they'll be full price for two years or longer before a price cut is announced. Gotta love that Nintendo Seal of Quality, amirite?
The argument to that would be (and I'm in this camp) is that Nintendo produces fully polished games upon launch. Outta all the 3rd party games I've played over my life. I would be willing to bet that if you gave me 2 games to play without labels, and 1 was Nintendo and the other a 3rd party I could pick which was which every time.

Now there are a few exceptions but 99% of the time Nintendo just offers a better product all the time. If they did not then there sole business would not survive under the model they have always had. There would be no reason to buy Nintendo consoles if there games weren't so top notch.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well there is some good and bad news today.

The bad is Harvey has made it here, and the area I am in is right in the heart of this storm. As of right now there prediction is a minimum of 7 inches. And it just started and will last for atleast 24 hours.

To good news is that means a 4 days weekend!:mlaugh:

There's no easy way to definitively say what the price of a game should be, but a game like The Order 1886 was not worth full price. I downloaded it for 4 dollars out of curiosity and I guess I can say I got 4 dollars worth from it.

I picked up Gravity Rush 2 for full price. That was a 15-20 hour game (I think, could be remembering it wrong). I mostly wanted to support the devs cause Sony didn't really market it and I like what this team does. That said, I don't regret spending all that money on it, I think it earned it.

I think it has to do a mix of the amount of content and replay-ability. Then again, whenever a multi-player only game goes full price people freak out. I think most of that comes from how little extra they add, they simply take out where the single player game would have been and called it a day, and in the case of EA, throw on a $50 dollar season pass on top of that. Also, when the servers shut down, games like Battlefront and Titanfall will literally be paperweights.

And who gets to say how re-playable a game is? I must have beaten Ocarina of Time and Resident Evil 4 close to 15 times each, yet I doubt everyone can say the same or care to play them that much.

Eh, guess we'll see if this trend will continue. I know Crash Bandicoot stayed #1 on the UK charts since it launched until now that Uncharted Lost Legacy came out. Maybe Knack 2 and Sonic Forces will be the thing publishers keep an eye on to see if it's worth it. Honestly, if you ask me, Nintendo would be smart to do this too with some of their games. I think it was Kirby Rainbow Curse (or Donkey Kong) that launched at a reduced price, but then subsequent 2D platformers went full price again so not sure what happened there.

But I'm going into "poor mode" again so I won't be picking up many full priced games here on out for awhile. I think I'll be getting Nier or Horizon in October. I want to play the new Wolfenstein and South Park but I know by 2018 they'll be discounted. Hell, maybe by the time I get a switch in late 2018/2019, maybe Xenoblade and Mario will be discounted, but I doubt it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
If you have not seen the Netflix documentary "Barbque" I highly recommend it. A great chill and interesting show, about all different cultures from around the globes and how barbque influences and works in there cultures.

I loved it

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
At least your house is more on a hill than a low point, so hopefully you don't have to worry about flooding. Stay safe out there. Maybe you should build a wall around your house. :mthumb:
Yeah no need to worry about house flooding here for sure. It's just a crap ton of rain, and the lower areas I may have to drive thru will be flooded for sure.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Well, I thought I couldn't get out and was partially right. There was a 6 hour window to get out before rivers rose and I took it. My wife had surgery the day before Harvey hit Corpus Christi so I wanted her out if possible. We were blessed with a mostly dry drive. I'm going back tomorrow with boats to try and get things out of my Grandma and sister's houses. We also have to get their dogs. There are collapsed bridges and you have to go backwards on I10 at times so tomorrow should be interesting. Wish me luck! Bigger update tomorrow.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Well, I thought I couldn't get out and was partially right. There was a 6 hour window to get out before rivers rose and I took it. My wife had surgery the day before Harvey hit Corpus Christi so I wanted her out if possible. We were blessed with a mostly dry drive. I'm going back tomorrow with boats to try and get things out of my Grandma and sister's houses. We also have to get their dogs. There are collapsed bridges and you have to go backwards on I10 at times so tomorrow should be interesting. Wish me luck! Bigger update tomorrow.
Good luck! Be safe!

Koenig

The Architect
Ha ha ha...very funny.:mplain:
You did post less than a week ago (Last Sunday to be precise). Many members here tend to take far longer leaves of absence; I take you it had a busy week?

Stay safe. Keep us posted for sure.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Hey guys, so I did some things, and then I disappeared again, and I just wanted to check-in and let you all know what's up. Since I last spoke to anyone from here, quite a lot has happened.
  1. Family and friends were evacuated and have since been let back in and everything seems to be going OK
  2. I went to Oregon to catch the total eclipse
  3. I've developed some kind of persistent chest pain that is probably nothing serious but keeps my convinced that I'm dying
  4. Work has been busy and stressful as usual
  5. Some mostly uninteresting things
  6. I've been (amicably) evicted.
Gotta tell ya, the rental market here sucks. I had a pretty sweet deal, so now it looks like my rent is going to jump by about $500/month, which is depressing. Honestly, I could find something cheaper, but I don't really want to rent someone's spare bedroom in their house, or something like that, so I think I'm just going to put up with having less disposable income in exchange for having a place I like living. Frankly, I spend a lot of time at home, and I want some space to set up a computer desk, so I think I 'm OK with spending more money on it, but it still sucks.

So I've been busy and stressed and depressed and just haven't had the will to come around lately.

Also, just wanted to shout out to the Texans in the room - I haven't been following along, but I hope you are doing OK down there!