The Great CT - Community Thread

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
There was this time when e3 was so dull and boring that the gamers quit fighting for those few days and we’re puzzeled at why the whole thing was a 5/10.

The stuff of legends

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
THAT is the shocking thing to me, historically anytime the game is brought up it is just loads and loads of hate piled on to it... I never thought "let sleeping dogs lie" would be a possibility

this is a joyous occasion, now I can refer to the game offhand and not have the entire flow of the board turn into a discussion of why people hated it...

I am not going to poke the haters or anything, but it was so bad that you couldn't even refer to it... it was like I would mention the games in my wii collection in a list and it would kick off arguments about the game.. are those dark days finally past us?
You could get permabanned from the gonintendo forums just for mentioning it, it was so divisive.

THAT is the shocking thing to me, historically anytime the game is brought up it is just loads and loads of hate piled on to it... I never thought "let sleeping dogs lie" would be a possibility

this is a joyous occasion, now I can refer to the game offhand and not have the entire flow of the board turn into a discussion of why people hated it...

I am not going to poke the haters or anything, but it was so bad that you couldn't even refer to it... it was like I would mention the games in my wii collection in a list and it would kick off arguments about the game.. are those dark days finally past us?
I mean to be fair, TNE has always been much more tame in regards to the Other M and Skyward Sword controversies. We certainly had our desputes on the matter, but compared to the likes of say IGN or NeoGAF. Well... IGN or NeoGAF speak for themselves...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think its just because nobody invited the real champions over.
Like rickthestick. what a hero.
He's been here.
@RicktheStick2

Edit: You know those long Other M debates were no joke. I got my three hours of daily writing practice in that legendary thread back on IGN. That's where I learned to never back down, no matter how wrong I was.

Because Other M haters were even more wrong. The combat in that game would still eclipse 90% of the stuff shown this E3.

Bloody Other M, holy shit. Nobody on either side has changed their mind about it, I'm sure, it's just been so long that we've moved on. At least, I hope we have; it was 2 friggin' console generations ago!

A note on last nights Tuesday Night TNE. I think we might have another winner with Fortnite, alongside Splatoon and Rocket League. (At least once everyone figures out the friend list weirdness of having or not having an epic games account). Would anyone be down for making an official Fortnite thread for match making and updates?

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
My wife are taking time this week to watch all the Marvel Comic movies in the Infinity Wars series. We just finished Avengers : Age of Ultron tonight. Next up is Ant Man. Really digging them. I wish I could afford to pick all these up in 4k blu ray, however. Streaming everything because it's cheaper right now. That being said, things look great on my 65 inch curved Samsung tv. Whatever magic they put in here does a decent job of working with the 1080p signal. The other thing I'm enjoying is that nobody lives next to me so I have it so loud the walls are shaking!

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Up late lingering before sleep, watching the episods of south park about 12 step programs the episode is critical about the whole "you are powerless" part of addiction programs....

Cut to commercial

"are you addicted to alcohol or opiates, you can't break the addiction alone, you must admit you are powerless, call the addiction blablabla..."

So Nintendo's E3 as a whole was kinda schleep but I don't care because I'm busy and have loads of games to play anyway and SMASH LOOKS AMAZING and its all I really needed. Next year we'll get Prime 4 and stuff etc. Excite.

The Smash reveal was great, however it looks like we don't have much to look forward to between now and December besides a handful of ports and a small selection of third party titles. I am definitely interested in Starlink; props to Ubisoft for pulling in Starfox.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
The Smash reveal was great, however it looks like we don't have much to look forward to between now and December besides a handful of ports and a small selection of third party titles. I am definitely interested in Starlink; props to Ubisoft for pulling in Starfox.
I’m also probably gonna pick it up. I do enjoy that old school star fox vibe it has

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I think my assessment of Fortnite is...meh?

Knockout-mode isn't new for a shooter, and neither is having a giant map. But putting both of those in a survival-resource-gathering game, with an ever-shrinking play area, is. And that's honestly a great concept. Makes for some pretty tense moments. But it also makes for so very much camping. It's basically "make a Worm room," the game. I think that's why people might kinda like Battle Royale. Other shooters try to hide their bullshit. "Oh no, this is really a super skillful game." Fortnite is pretty open about its bullshit. Sometimes someone just gets to the shield power-up before you, and that's that. Pretty meh on the gunplay, overall.

I was reading @ASuch on Discord about ninjas with great skills taking out...6 or 7 players. Again, the pace makes for some great tension, but it's so damn slow. Most of the match for me is a walking simulator. Then someone shoots you from the top of a barn. And then the end-game is a tower building contest.

But...I do really like the game's aesthetic. Having the big plateau area, running around chopping wood, eating mushrooms, having to fend for yourself...it's kinda got a little BotW feel sprinkled in there. The art style is fantastic. The overall mood does get its hooks into you, because you're always on the lookout for danger. And you can do some goofy shit. It's a multiplayer murder sandbox. An easy game to chill with.

I can see playing this with the crew, but it's basically taking the place of COD. I'm not playing it for the quality (Splatoon 2 and DOOM kick its ass as better shooters), but for the company.

theMightyME

Anybody who wants to beat the heat check out taco bell, they have a watermelon slush with little seed shaped shoe watermelon candies (texture wise it is like the less hard center of a gobstopper)

So refreshing

Something that just dawned on me, credits music in games are getting pretty great. I know there were always great credits tracks (Super Mario World and 64 probably give me the most nostalgic feels ever) but between quite a few Bethesda games and Deus Ex MK, it's a trend I'd like to see catch on cause I'm a weirdo

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
I also liked Metroid: Other M. It wasn't particularly atmospheric, but otherwise it was a cool take on the series. The controls might've taken some getting used to, and some parts of the plot didn't go hand in hand with the gameplay, or being a good story, but I liked it.

I also liked Skyward Sword. A bit too much filler moments for my liking, but the puzzle bits, the music, the art, Zelda, Ghirahim, the Dungeons, the guardian test thingy with the heart attack-inducing music, and most importantly, the fight mechanics, were a huge highlight for me. Had Miyamoto not felt pressured into making a long game, had they use IR controls instead of motion controls where it made sense, and had it been possible to make it a bit more interconnected, it probably would've been better than it currently is.

Goodtwin

Just throwing a shoutout to TNE's Twins @Goodtwin and @EvilTw1n for the good rounds we had tonight.
For sure, it is always good to get a crew together for a night of gaming. We are all getting older, Switch has a far greater variety of games vying for our time, and thus has resulted in the community being pulled in different directions, but I believe there is value in us long time members making time to keep our connections intact. We all love Nintendo, and enjoy playing games together.

theMightyME

so @Juegos it is looking likely that I'll be in Texas during winter, I might be visiting my brother in Keller (fort worth area) for Christmas, and if I do, and if I have enough money, I should be visiting both Houston and Austin... If I end up doing that, will you be free to show me around in Austin sometime in that vicinity?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
so @Juegos it is looking likely that I'll be in Texas during winter, I might be visiting my brother in Keller (fort worth area) for Christmas, and if I do, and if I have enough money, I should be visiting both Houston and Austin... If I end up doing that, will you be free to show me around in Austin sometime in that vicinity?
Absolutely, though it depends exactly when around Christmas. Typically I go back home to spend Christmas with the fam, then come back up before the New Year.

theMightyME

Absolutely, though it depends exactly when around Christmas. Typically I go back home to spend Christmas with the fam, then come back up before the New Year.
I am sure it would be more around new years, Christmas with my fam, then probably to Houston to visit my buddy there, and then lastly to Austin... for adventure

EvilTw1n

So I DL-ed the Shining Resonance Refrain demo. Looks like an up-res PS2 game. Has an intriguing little battle system to it (it plays like an action game and there are no turns, but the specials bring the RPG flavor). But my god, man, the voice acting. I think I might buy this on down the line, but whew, they better keep Japanese VA.

For weeb extra credit, I finally played the Disgaea 5 demo. I...kinda like it? Not $60 like it, but if this goes on sale for $20 in the future, I can see myself pulling the trigger.

Switch is effing nuts. I will never get around to playing everything that I want to play.

theMightyME

So I DL-ed the Shining Resonance Refrain demo. Looks like an up-res PS2 game. Has an intriguing little battle system to it (it plays like an action game and there are no turns, but the specials bring the RPG flavor). But my god, man, the voice acting. I think I might buy this on down the line, but whew, they better keep Japanese VA.

For weeb extra credit, I finally played the Disgaea 5 demo. I...kinda like it? Not $60 like it, but if this goes on sale for $20 in the future, I can see myself pulling the trigger.

Switch is effing nuts. I will never get around to playing everything that I want to play.
Have you ever played disgaea, if not I suggest the first game instead which is coming to the Switch as a remake

Disgaea is an insanely deep game that is designed for you to break it... Like making items that instantly kill anything and then give you 1000x xp

That is the fun of the game he'll you can let prices on items by organizing a trial of sorts, then you can bribe or beat up the judges to get your way

No game is quite like it in that way

But 5 just hasn't sat well with me, the song at the base makes me want to Stab my ear drums with knitting needles, and the progression of the systems is too steep, I also think many of the new systems just don't feel as natural

It is still me dream that nippon Ichi teams with Nintendo to make a smash bros tactical game basically disgaea but Nintendo characters... It would just work, like in disgaea you travel to different reasons using a portal... That just makes sense you could travel between game worlds

theMightyME

Watching Luke Cage season 2,on Episode 10,it is boring at parts, and Cage is just an emo ass in the first couple episodes... But it hasn't taken that nosedive that season 1 took... Yet

One thing I can say is that in the opening scene of episode 10 they did more to get iron fist right than anything in his show or the Defenders

He still isn't exactly what he should be, Danny is supposed to be a smart ass with swagger and the power to back it up, they are still trying to make him stoic, which is wrong, but already he isn't like a 12 year old taking himself too seriously... He had a little swagger now, and he can Crack a smile and joke around... Way way way closer to who he should be

Last edited:

GaemzDood

I think my assessment of Fortnite is...meh?

Knockout-mode isn't new for a shooter, and neither is having a giant map. But putting both of those in a survival-resource-gathering game, with an ever-shrinking play area, is. And that's honestly a great concept. Makes for some pretty tense moments. But it also makes for so very much camping. It's basically "make a Worm room," the game. I think that's why people might kinda like Battle Royale. Other shooters try to hide their bullshit. "Oh no, this is really a super skillful game." Fortnite is pretty open about its bullshit. Sometimes someone just gets to the shield power-up before you, and that's that. Pretty meh on the gunplay, overall.

I was reading @ASuch on Discord about ninjas with great skills taking out...6 or 7 players. Again, the pace makes for some great tension, but it's so damn slow. Most of the match for me is a walking simulator. Then someone shoots you from the top of a barn. And then the end-game is a tower building contest.

But...I do really like the game's aesthetic. Having the big plateau area, running around chopping wood, eating mushrooms, having to fend for yourself...it's kinda got a little BotW feel sprinkled in there. The art style is fantastic. The overall mood does get its hooks into you, because you're always on the lookout for danger. And you can do some goofy shit. It's a multiplayer murder sandbox. An easy game to chill with.

I can see playing this with the crew, but it's basically taking the place of COD. I'm not playing it for the quality (Splatoon 2 and DOOM kick its ass as better shooters), but for the company.
Gonna be honest: I think Fortnite is insanely boring.

On another note, it really highlights Unreal Engine 4's AMD/Async issue, more than any other game besides low budget titles like Hellblade and Tekken 7. If you toggle the 60 FPS mode on a standard Xbox One, it actually runs at a lower average resolution than Switch.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I need your help guys. Niero, founder of Destructoid and current Director of Content at Enthusiast Gaming wants to do some maintenance on the forums. I'm bringing up the recent errors, but I'd like to also hand him a community-made wishlist of features and fixes. What are some things you guys would like to see in the forums, small and big?

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
I need your help guys. Niero, founder of Destructoid and current Director of Content at Enthusiast Gaming wants to do some maintenance on the forums. I'm bringing up the recent errors, but I'd like to also hand him a community-made wishlist of features and fixes. What are some things you guys would like to see in the forums, small and big?
Personally I just want everything to work again like it did before e3.

This probably doesn’t sound every exciting, I’ve always loved the stability of this place tho.

Aside from integrated blogs that could posted to the front side, I can't really think of anything. I just want to keep the forums alive since Discord has been steadily chewing away at the conversation around here.

EvilTw1n

Personally I just want everything to work again like it did before e3.

This probably doesn’t sound every exciting, I’ve always loved the stability of this place tho.
Yeah, the obvious thing is stability and eliminating bugs. It kinda takes away everyone's desire to post if we get error messages everytime and/or double posts.

We could probably stand to have some simplifying, overall. The splash menu with featured threads was a neat idea when there was more action around here, but right now it's just taking up space. The most-recent thread responses have a similar purpose, so those two things should probably somehow get rolled into one, IMO.

Taking the integrated blog idea (I would assume as an extension of our profiles pages) that @Koenig mentioned, we could use that with the featured thread spot (that currently houses Matt's Switch purge thread). Anyone writes a blog, it can be put there. But completely randomize it. Every time you hit refresh, new blog.

There are some older sub-forums that probably need to be archived (Forum Games, Gaming Social App, Meet the Game Developers, Front Page Articles). The Gaming News forum is probably really already accounted for with Nintendo and Multi-Platform discussion. The only thing going on in TNE Media right now is @Karkashan praising Grima. There's some streamlining we can do to make the whole interface cleaner.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
There are some older sub-forums that probably need to be archived (Forum Games, Gaming Social App, Meet the Game Developers, Front Page Articles). The Gaming News forum is probably really already accounted for with Nintendo and Multi-Platform discussion. The only thing going on in TNE Media right now is Karkashan praising Grima. There's some streamlining we can do to make the whole interface cleaner.
So what you're saying is that I need my own subforum?