The Great CT - Community Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Hollow Knight almost instantly addicted me.

I told my wife the other night that “alright if your good ima go play some Hollow Knight. It’s a special game”.

And to me it already has been. It played with my mind like Eternal Darkness did and I’ve thought about it all day. :mlove:

Socar

The world is full of corruption these days. At least there are good people around even though there are only a few.

I worry if corruption will outweigh goodness...

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
What do you expect from a company that is struggling to make itself profitable?
Blocking people from using your service isn't the right way, that will just make people quit, and then, due to movie pass' own policy, they can't come back for 9 months...which is why since I posted that, the owner of movie pad has seen a 250 to 1 reverse stock split that brought their stock value to $14/share.... And that $14 per share stock is now at around 70¢/share

Not being profitable isn't the issue .. Amazon want profitable for 10 years, Netflix still isn't

He'll die they first 5 out so years amazon was BILLIONS in debt

The issue is the business model or lack there of

Giving people unlimited tickets fur less than the cost of 1 per month means the money needs to come from somewhere else and no, surge pricing not only won't cover it, but it will actually shed subscriber numbers

The best plan was what they SAID they were going to explore but then seemingly gave up on... Data

I mean look at Facebook, company is worth hundreds of billions, he'll they just lost over 100 billion $, and it wasn't even a 20% dip... Besides the acquisition of Occulus, they don't sell any product at all, no subscription, nothing

They can do that because they, like Google, and in some ways Amazon, are a data company, they offer great services for free, and then use the data they gather for other things, like advertising, but also market research and AI development

Like, for example, Youtube is still not profitable for Google but they run their AI through it, and the critical mad of data there helps it learn how to identify different species of animals, or gauge emotion, it helps it to better understand natural speech... So it doesn't have to make money for them, it serves various other roles

The problem with moviepass is that they came out of the gate talking data and now are instead buying movies that nobody wanted like Goti... Or worse yet, making moves that will shed their customer base. . And in data, that is akin to giving up

Socar

Weird...for some reason, whenever I go to the forums section from the website, the webpage is all white like basic html website or something...

If you guys have a better looking Power Moon, let me know!

Completely super serious sad/nerdy post incoming.

It's no secret I've been enjoying the shit out of Resident Evil 1 and to a lesser extent but still very much liking Code Veronica X. Driving around yesterday I realized I haven't beaten RE4 in over 5 years. "Dang, looks like that's my next game" I say to myself. Tonight I finished reading Brave New World and was in the mood for my boy Leon's adventure. After a half an hour or so looking for my GCN memory card which ended up being right next to the Wii on my N64 (derp), I pop it in and load up Disc 1 of RE4.

Horror struck almost immediately, the screen size didn't fill my bedroom's television. Thinking it must be the aspect ratio setting on my television I play around with it. 4:3 ratio doesn't even reach the top and bottom of the screen, and 16:9 may reach the edges but the picture has some mean jaggies. Zoom and Cinema are just out of the question. Puzzled, I popped in Double Dash and it looks damn good for an upscaled GCN game. I guess this is something 3rd parties didn't tend to address on the Cube, because I remember playing Twilight Princess before the HD version got announced and it too looked fine, albeit with some jags too. Now I'm not usually a stickler for this sort of thing and it's definitely playable but this case does bug me.

Sigh. You've been good to me GCN version of RE4. How many times have I played you? Over 10 for sure, I daresay pushing 15. Even with all the countless re-releases on other systems with more costumes, weapons and another Ada campaign, I stuck by you old friend. The last time I beaten it I went to work at the call center, realized I was suppose to be there for 3 p.m. and not 7 a.m., went home and finished the current file. I guess that was before I made the jump to HD televisions.

Looks like I'll be buying the PS4 version soon. I've bought re-releases before of games I already own. Got the entire Kingdom Hearts set on PS4, Okami, Bioshock Collection (more so for convenience of shelf space really), Mega Man 1-10, X, etc etc etc. But RE4 man, feels different. Perhaps it's the ungodly amount of hours I sunk into the sumbitch, or how the game is legit in my top 3 of all time (if not #1) but dang it makes me sad I'll probably never play the OG version again.

RIP in peace old friend.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Completely super serious sad/nerdy post incoming.

It's no secret I've been enjoying the shit out of Resident Evil 1 and to a lesser extent but still very much liking Code Veronica X. Driving around yesterday I realized I haven't beaten RE4 in over 5 years. "Dang, looks like that's my next game" I say to myself. Tonight I finished reading Brave New World and was in the mood for my boy Leon's adventure. After a half an hour or so looking for my GCN memory card which ended up being right next to the Wii on my N64 (derp), I pop it in and load up Disc 1 of RE4.

Horror struck almost immediately, the screen size didn't fill my bedroom's television. Thinking it must be the aspect ratio setting on my television I play around with it. 4:3 ratio doesn't even reach the top and bottom of the screen, and 16:9 may reach the edges but the picture has some mean jaggies. Zoom and Cinema are just out of the question. Puzzled, I popped in Double Dash and it looks damn good for an upscaled GCN game. I guess this is something 3rd parties didn't tend to address on the Cube, because I remember playing Twilight Princess before the HD version got announced and it too looked fine, albeit with some jags too. Now I'm not usually a stickler for this sort of thing and it's definitely playable but this case does bug me.

Sigh. You've been good to me GCN version of RE4. How many times have I played you? Over 10 for sure, I daresay pushing 15. Even with all the countless re-releases on other systems with more costumes, weapons and another Ada campaign, I stuck by you old friend. The last time I beaten it I went to work at the call center, realized I was suppose to be there for 3 p.m. and not 7 a.m., went home and finished the current file. I guess that was before I made the jump to HD televisions.

Looks like I'll be buying the PS4 version soon. I've bought re-releases before of games I already own. Got the entire Kingdom Hearts set on PS4, Okami, Bioshock Collection (more so for convenience of shelf space really), Mega Man 1-10, X, etc etc etc. But RE4 man, feels different. Perhaps it's the ungodly amount of hours I sunk into the sumbitch, or how the game is legit in my top 3 of all time (if not #1) but dang it makes me sad I'll probably never play the OG version again.

RIP in peace old friend.

Didn't Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube have a forced widescreen aspect ratio with black bars on top and bottom permanently embedded in the image? Like this:

I never played the GameCube version on a widescreen TV, but I can imagine it would look bad. I don't remember if the widescreen in the Wii version gets rid of the black bars, but I imagine the PS4 version is a safe bet.

By the way, that is also how the Evil Within looked originally, before everybody complained and Tango decided to patch in a normal widescreen aspect ratio.

Personally, I actually liked it in the Evil Within, because it legitimately gave us a wider view of the action. People were happy when they patched it, but the effect was the same as simply using your TV's zoom function or lowering the FOV on a PC game, and I don't think most people knew any better.

Didn't Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube have a forced widescreen aspect ratio with black bars on top and bottom permanently embedded in the image? Like this:

I never played the GameCube version on a widescreen TV, but I can imagine it would look bad. I don't remember if the widescreen in the Wii version gets rid of the black bars, but I imagine the PS4 version is a safe bet.

By the way, that is also how the Evil Within looked originally, before everybody complained and Tango decided to patch in a normal widescreen aspect ratio.

Personally, I actually liked it in the Evil Within, because it legitimately gave us a wider view of the action. People were happy when they patched it, but the effect was the same as simply using your TV's zoom function or lowering the FOV on a PC game, and I don't think most people knew any better.

Yeah it does from what I gather. On "Normal" aspect ratio is has black bars on the sides and on top and bottom, so way to much blank space on the tv for my liking. "Wide does stretch it ou but it still doesn't quite reach the left and right sides of the screen.

I admit I did play Evil Within post patch and did play full screen. I can't remember what I played first, this or Order 1886, and I tell you, the black bars in that game suck. Since it's a cover shooter, the black bars obscure your view so you can't see anything a lot of the time.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

The black bars are usually a clever way of reducing the amount of load a game has to render because the resolution has effectively been reduced. Developers will tout "Cinematic experience" ala The Order: 1886, and Bob's your Uncle, you have reduced the load of the game, while claiming it's for the overall aesthetic.

So in reality, it doesn't give you a "wider" field of view. It only appears that way because the aspect ratio has changed. It might differ in the case for The Evil Within, and I'd have to see side by side shots between black bars vs. no black bars.

And yes, the Wii Edition (along with the PS2 version) fill the entirety of the screen.

Socar

Services that should be free IMO

1. Water: Why buy drinking water when said water is already not pure and fresh? And why so expensive compared to Cola?
2. Electricity: Its suppose to be free but its not sadly...
3. Internet: Its to be free and should not be repelled. The actual cost of the internet should arguably be free.
4. Books: Should be free because reading is good for you.
5. Public Transport: Also should be free because its government services.
6. Games: With how the world is charging us money even after buying 1-60$ games, why not make them free permanently?

That's MY OPINION!!!!!

theMightyME

Services that should be free IMO

1. Water: Why buy drinking water when said water is already not pure and fresh? And why so expensive compared to Cola?
2. Electricity: Its suppose to be free but its not sadly...
3. Internet: Its to be free and should not be repelled. The actual cost of the internet should arguably be free.
4. Books: Should be free because reading is good for you.
5. Public Transport: Also should be free because its government services.
6. Games: With how the world is charging us money even after buying 1-60$ games, why not make them free permanently?

That's MY OPINION!!!!!
1. yes, but there have to be limits, you can't just move to the middle of nowhere and expect the government to lay you some pipe, plus bottled water is something entirely different, I pay for it, it tastes better, but it depends on if you are getting actual spring water or just filtered water that is then bottled... we get Arrowhead, it is great.
2. If they could evenly distribute it sure, but they can't... that is why we keep having outages when a heatwave hits, the grid can't sustain all the ACs running
3. I think basic internet connections should be plentiful and free, at the city level they should pop up wifi hot spots and offer free internet at the library... many actually do this... as for faster betetr itnernet delivered to your home, the problem is more related to infrastructure (again)... what we really need in all 3 of these cases is competition between companies so that we don't way way way overpay a contracted monopoly
4. no way.... in a library sure... but in general? no books are intellectual property and the people that write them have a right to earn on them... we should, however, make an effort to fold more into public domain to make them free.... classic books are free, but the government should offer buyouts to good educational resources to turn them into public domain materials (if the author is willing to sell)... and we should always protect libraries, even if they have to go digital only
5. I dunno about this one either... though most public transport is cheap because it is government subsidized, and perhaps that should continue or expand to make it even cheaper... the issue there is thta it halts competition, and you have a company that can basically hold city governments hostage for as much as they want. Perhaps some change should occur there
6. NOPE

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The black bars are usually a clever way of reducing the amount of load a game has to render because the resolution has effectively been reduced. Developers will tout "Cinematic experience" ala The Order: 1886, and Bob's your Uncle, you have reduced the load of the game, while claiming it's for the overall aesthetic.

So in reality, it doesn't give you a "wider" field of view. It only appears that way because the aspect ratio has changed. It might differ in the case for The Evil Within, and I'd have to see side by side shots between black bars vs. no black bars.

And yes, the Wii Edition (along with the PS2 version) fill the entirety of the screen.
The only reason I know for sure it does in the Evil Within is because it was tied to the FOV, and I would mess with the FOV settings with console commands while playing that game. I would actually use a higher FOV that would make the image even shorter but wider, I liked it even better. It was also possible to lower the FOV to one that would fill up the screen perfectly (but be more zoomed in), and it looked exactly like it did after the patch.

I imagine you're right about Resident Evil 4 on GameCube. That game was a beast so just putting the black bars on a standard image probably helped them have a steadier framerate. Modern console games essentially do the same thing by lowering the FOV without changing the aspect ratio, like in Call of Duty.

theMightyME

Castle Rock on Hulu is petty great

Like a real slow burn for sure, but great

Finally a show that knows how to end an episode again

Like I am glad I can't fully binge it I want to sit with episode 4s ending for a bit

Its like... A little Shawshank a little Green Mile, and something else I can't quite put my finger on yet, there is horror, but it isn't clear enough yet to really peg it, the horror is beneath the surface, it's brewing, but it isn't this clear supernatural entity, at least not yet, it could be, and they reference the idea of it, but it isn't overt

Anyways

Podcasting about it tomorrow

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
^ I'm trying to get used to driving in a new car for the first time in 11 years (RIP in peace, old car). This Sentra has more oomph than I'm used to and it sometimes makes me a bit nervous. Just gotta get used to it, though.

Socar

1. yes, but there have to be limits, you can't just move to the middle of nowhere and expect the government to lay you some pipe, plus bottled water is something entirely different, I pay for it, it tastes better, but it depends on if you are getting actual spring water or just filtered water that is then bottled... we get Arrowhead, it is great.
2. If they could evenly distribute it sure, but they can't... that is why we keep having outages when a heatwave hits, the grid can't sustain all the ACs running
3. I think basic internet connections should be plentiful and free, at the city level they should pop up wifi hot spots and offer free internet at the library... many actually do this... as for faster betetr itnernet delivered to your home, the problem is more related to infrastructure (again)... what we really need in all 3 of these cases is competition between companies so that we don't way way way overpay a contracted monopoly
4. no way.... in a library sure... but in general? no books are intellectual property and the people that write them have a right to earn on them... we should, however, make an effort to fold more into public domain to make them free.... classic books are free, but the government should offer buyouts to good educational resources to turn them into public domain materials (if the author is willing to sell)... and we should always protect libraries, even if they have to go digital only
5. I dunno about this one either... though most public transport is cheap because it is government subsidized, and perhaps that should continue or expand to make it even cheaper... the issue there is thta it halts competition, and you have a company that can basically hold city governments hostage for as much as they want. Perhaps some change should occur there
6. NOPE
1. Except that putting water in plastic isn't exactly good for you since those chemicals can be in the way of the water. You may as well use filter water which again, should be free. There are ways the government can do this. If they can get various phone booths out there, then why not water? It can also destroy competition as well.

theMightyME

Welcome to the TNE forums. We run a quite place in the far corners of the internet; although we are not an exclusive club and welcome anyone who can actually find us.

I feel like we have turned into a tavern tucked away in some alley.
more like a speakeasy with a special code

Menashe

Welcome to the TNE forums. We run a quite place in the far corners of the internet; although we are not an exclusive club and welcome anyone who can actually find us.

I feel like we have turned into a tavern tucked away in some alley.
One day the forums will rise from the ashes into a place of prominence...

But lots of things have to fall into place first...

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Well, finally figured out why my RE4 texture mod wasn't working.

I had two different installs and the one I had installed the texture pack to wasn't the one Steam liked, so I had to do some chicanery to get it to work.

Played through Separate Ways so I could unlock the other costumes. It's amazing how much I'd forgotten about this mode since playing it on the Wii. (Like, i had forgotten about the turrets and the boat section completely)

(oh, yeah, and the texture mod, while incomplete, makes the environments look snazzy as all hell. Looking forward to taking mobster Leon through a playthrough)

praisegrima

Socar

I applied a screen protector but it had bubbles. so to protect it, I am thinking that if I don't use it, I will put the screen protector and when I use it, I will remove it and wipe any dirt away and play. Will this damage the screen if the protector is constantly removed and cleaned?

I applied a screen protector but it had bubbles. so to protect it, I am thinking that if I don't use it, I will put the screen protector and when I use it, I will remove it and wipe any dirt away and play. Will this damage the screen if the protector is constantly removed and cleaned?
what kind of screen protector are you using?
if you can, get yourself a tempered glass screen protector, any other kind is pretty pointless to keep on your screen.
I dont think any protector will damage your screen upon constant removal and application.

Socar

what kind of screen protector are you using?
if you can, get yourself a tempered glass screen protector, any other kind is pretty pointless to keep on your screen.
I dont think any protector will damage your screen upon constant removal and application.
I already tried applying the glass one twice but they both failed and had bubbles that were annoying to deal with. I'm not a big fan of these tempered glass ones since if they crack, they may cause some scratches on the screen itself.

I just used one called Hori then but its not the exact one as what others use. Goofed it up as usual and now my switch screen is naked as before. Still no signs of scratches whatsoever. Those two microfiber cloths that come bundled with the Switch is what I use to cover it and keep the switch inside the case when I don't use it. I don't know if I'll ever be able to protect my switch scratch proof as I'm always paranoid.

Man I have screen protectors. Its so damn hard to apply it on my side no matter what I do.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I wasn't planning on getting a Switch this year, but after today's Smash Bros info dump...fuck.

Sucks too cause Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 in January will eat most of my free time that month. Jeeez.
There is a lot of great gaming to be had on the Switch. I’m really excited for Smash!