The Great CT - Community Thread

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
ugh... screen protectors... I go f'n bareback... always have on my phones too
I thought I was a bareback kind of guy until my phone started falling off my pocket at the movie theater. After the first crack, I was annoyed and bought a screen protector, but got lazy and didn't feel like I had to put it on. The second crack was on a different corner, and it actually spread and connected to the first crack. I immediately applied the protector and right now it's pretty much the only thing holding the screen together.

It's been about three years with this phone, I really need to upgrade soon.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I thought I was a bareback kind of guy until my phone started falling off my pocket at the movie theater. After the first crack, I was annoyed and bought a screen protector, but got lazy and didn't feel like I had to put it on. The second crack was on a different corner, and it actually spread and connected to the first crack. I immediately applied the protector and right now it's pretty much the only thing holding the screen together.

It's been about three years with this phone, I really need to upgrade soon.
Feel like I am cursing myself by saying this but I just don't drop my phone much, and when I have it was never enough to even scratch... More like sliding off my leg on to carpet with a 2 foot (or less) drop

And I've been using smart phones since like 2006

I used a screen protector once, and I hated it, it seemed to make the screen less response, and it didn't look as good with it being further from the surface

I still use a case (just a cheap clear rubberish plastic one) ... But even then, as I reach the last few months I'll keep a phone I tend to take that off too

Edit... Just for fun... My phone history

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So, Steve and I went to our first ComiCon last weekend - Tampa Bay ComiCon.
We got to meet Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell who wrote X-Men in the 90s. (Scott also wrote the entertaining movie Happy Death Day. Fabian created Deadpool.)
We got to see Cary Elwes (Princess Bride and Saw fame), stars of Stranger Things, Gotham, and a few other shows.

And being our first con, we decided that we should do cosplay.
So we went as Cyclops and Phoenix (I made Phoenix a guy).

When I got out of the elevator at the hotel, in costume, this 3 year old boy exclaimed "Mom, it's a super hero! They are real!"
Totally made my whole weekend!

Edit: Forgot to mention that at Scott and Fabian's panel, they had Steve2 and I stand up and commended us on our costumes.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So, Steve and I went to our first ComiCon last weekend - Tampa Bay ComiCon.
We got to meet Fabian Nicieza and Scott Lobdell who wrote X-Men in the 90s. (Scott also wrote the entertaining movie Happy Death Day. Fabian created Deadpool.)
We got to see Cary Elwes (Princess Bride and Saw fame), stars of Stranger Things, Gotham, and a few other shows.

And being our first con, we decided that we should do cosplay.
So we went as Cyclops and Phoenix (I made Phoenix a guy).

When I got out of the elevator at the hotel, in costume, this 3 year old boy exclaimed "Mom, it's a super hero! They are real!"
Totally made my whole weekend!

Edit: Forgot to mention that at Scott and Fabian's panel, they had Steve2 and I stand up and commended us on our costumes.
Post of the year right here. :mthumb:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I haven't put too much time in it yet, but so far I kinda like World.

(there are things I don't like about it, but I want some more time with them before I start complaining at full FZERO throttle)

praisegrima

Socar

I got a question. I got the adjustable charging stand from Nintendo's and I noticed that the active adapter is able to connect at both sides of the stand. Is that normal?

I haven't put too much time in it yet, but so far I kinda like World.

(there are things I don't like about it, but I want some more time with them before I start complaining at full FZERO throttle)

praisegrima
Don't worry, I gotchu fam.

This game is actually bad. It's like they made a buncha "QoL" stuff but then muddled the rest of the game. I'm in fact very shocked that THIS game is considered more accessible than previous Monster Hunter games. Was gathering really that annoying to casuals?

Right off the bat, just gonna say combat is practically the same as it has been since forever (again making me suspicious of journos who acted like they changed up the entire formula). If you played Gen or XX, you are missing any fun arts or styles present in those games. I understand there might be some baked-in arty stuff in the game, but I haven't reached that point yet.

Two things are pretty different in terms of combat. Mounting doesn't have a meter afaik, so when you are supposed to hang on is vague. Even when I'm holding on at the right time I'll find myself knocked off, sometimes permanently, sometimes for lame dramatic effect.
The second difference is how throwable stuff works. Afaik, flash and sonic bombs are replaced by things you can launch with your slinger. Often times you can load it with things found in the environment. This is actually ok, I think it's impossible to miss a flash bomb toss now.

So that's all pretty samey, which is good. In general I find that the attacks feel very subdued. Gone are the large and exaggerated sounds and effects you'd get in other games. The hits here sound and look weak. Oh, and these motherfucking monsters run away constantly. It's like the AI is forced to take you on a tour through at least five areas, even if the hunt only lasts 10 minutes.

Everything surrounding combat is shit. Half this game is menus on top of menus that make zero sense. My God, I had a much easier and simpler time navigating through the hub and menus in MHXX and that was entirely in Japanese! Idk what they were thinking, it's all overcomplicated, which again makes me wonder how people think this is more accessible than other games.

PC version has this weak always online thing going, so you can't pause at any point. Yay, I love Dark Souls! They split key/story quests and normal ones but in a way that you probably wouldn't get to the actual, grindable, quests until you realize you can't repeat any of the keys. Also fuck unskippable cutscenes and the bitch that won't shut the fuck up during quests.

During quests there's some shit too. So gathering is a lot easier, which is a good thing, because they flooded the entire map with gathering points. You can go down any straight line and tap A like an idiot and probably fill up on any number of plant and bug life. I don't hate this, but if this is the change people wanted before giving MH a chance, fuck you.
The map is actually good, you can set waypoints to pretty much anything and your glowflies will lead you to them, lighting up any little spot of interest along the way (this game was made for the adhd folks). I don't like the new hunting mechanic. I get it, it's meant to be more realistic and engaging, but in the end I'm just tapping A while following this glowing mass that gets constantly distracted. They made the maps feel more connected/living by removing zone loads, but those connections suck. I put a lot of blame on the minimap, which is useless with the size of some of the maps and areas and lousily filled with item information. Just bad. So you end up going through mazelike hallways trying to hit one area but end up elsewhere. Thank God for those glowing bugs.
The maps themselves are just fine. They look nice, but it's hard to ascertain when one area begins and another ends, what's a ledge and what isn't, what's climable and what aint, etc. That's something to get used to, but it's not as easily visibly given as the previous low poly maps, and that's just due to style.

So yeah, I kinda like the game too.

Final thought, there's no way in hell this game couldn't be ported over to Switch. I saw nothing insanely impossible that couldn't take any number of downgrades. Hell, low mode looks like Tri.
The ability is there, but Capcom is fucking lazy and they've now proven they have every right to be.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Don't worry, I gotchu fam.

This game is actually bad. It's like they made a buncha "QoL" stuff but then muddled the rest of the game. I'm in fact very shocked that THIS game is considered more accessible than previous Monster Hunter games. Was gathering really that annoying to casuals?

Right off the bat, just gonna say combat is practically the same as it has been since forever (again making me suspicious of journos who acted like they changed up the entire formula). If you played Gen or XX, you are missing any fun arts or styles present in those games. I understand there might be some baked-in arty stuff in the game, but I haven't reached that point yet.

Two things are pretty different in terms of combat. Mounting doesn't have a meter afaik, so when you are supposed to hang on is vague. Even when I'm holding on at the right time I'll find myself knocked off, sometimes permanently, sometimes for lame dramatic effect.
The second difference is how throwable stuff works. Afaik, flash and sonic bombs are replaced by things you can launch with your slinger. Often times you can load it with things found in the environment. This is actually ok, I think it's impossible to miss a flash bomb toss now.

So that's all pretty samey, which is good. In general I find that the attacks feel very subdued. Gone are the large and exaggerated sounds and effects you'd get in other games. The hits here sound and look weak. Oh, and these motherfucking monsters run away constantly. It's like the AI is forced to take you on a tour through at least five areas, even if the hunt only lasts 10 minutes.

Everything surrounding combat is shit. Half this game is menus on top of menus that make zero sense. My God, I had a much easier and simpler time navigating through the hub and menus in MHXX and that was entirely in Japanese! Idk what they were thinking, it's all overcomplicated, which again makes me wonder how people think this is more accessible than other games.

PC version has this weak always online thing going, so you can't pause at any point. Yay, I love Dark Souls! They split key/story quests and normal ones but in a way that you probably wouldn't get to the actual, grindable, quests until you realize you can't repeat any of the keys. Also fuck unskippable cutscenes and the bitch that won't shut the fuck up during quests.

During quests there's some shit too. So gathering is a lot easier, which is a good thing, because they flooded the entire map with gathering points. You can go down any straight line and tap A like an idiot and probably fill up on any number of plant and bug life. I don't hate this, but if this is the change people wanted before giving MH a chance, fuck you.
The map is actually good, you can set waypoints to pretty much anything and your glowflies will lead you to them, lighting up any little spot of interest along the way (this game was made for the adhd folks). I don't like the new hunting mechanic. I get it, it's meant to be more realistic and engaging, but in the end I'm just tapping A while following this glowing mass that gets constantly distracted. They made the maps feel more connected/living by removing zone loads, but those connections suck. I put a lot of blame on the minimap, which is useless with the size of some of the maps and areas and lousily filled with item information. Just bad. So you end up going through mazelike hallways trying to hit one area but end up elsewhere. Thank God for those glowing bugs.
The maps themselves are just fine. They look nice, but it's hard to ascertain when one area begins and another ends, what's a ledge and what isn't, what's climable and what aint, etc. That's something to get used to, but it's not as easily visibly given as the previous low poly maps, and that's just due to style.

So yeah, I kinda like the game too.

Final thought, there's no way in hell this game couldn't be ported over to Switch. I saw nothing insanely impossible that couldn't take any number of downgrades. Hell, low mode looks like Tri.
The ability is there, but Capcom is fucking lazy and they've now proven they have every right to be.
So your saying it’s a 7/10 MH game?

theMightyME

so guys, thoughts on the whole Filip from IGN thing?

for me, I just don't understand it, at a certain point you have to know you'll be caught... and then what... it isn't like other media outlets will be swinging their door open for you

I don't see his deeds so much as evil as they are stupid... because the sources he copied from weren't even that great, all cliche riddled messes

I dunno... the whole thing is just weird to me

what is the point... just organize your own thoughts and spit out your own cliche riddled reviews

I can understand (but not endorse) doing such a thing to GET the job... but once there... I mean... it isn't as if the IGN writers are little Shakespeares and Hemingways, sitting atop their own golden prose... kind of the opposite in most cases I have bothered looking into.

Writing can be an art, but in most cases it is just a craft... so just do the f'n work you have been trained to do, nobody will be nominating you for a Pulitzer in game journalism... to even get the job, even with plagiarism you should be versed enough in the craft to write competent pieces.. so why throw your career away?

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Yeah when I saw that World was only an 11GB install, I immediately knew that the only reasons Capcom didn't port to the switch were

Nintendo didn't pay them to

They didn't want to get anywhere around MHGU/MHXX.

for me, I just don't understand it, at a certain point you have to know you'll be caught... and then what... it isn't like other media outlets will be swinging their door open for you

I don't see his deeds so much as evil as they are stupid... because the sources he copied from weren't even that great, all cliche riddled messes

what is the point... just organize your own thoughts and spit out your own cliche riddled reviews

I can understand (but not endorse) doing such a thing to GET the job... but once there... I mean... it isn't as if the IGN writers are little Shakespeares and Hemingways, sitting atop their own golden prose... kind of the opposite in most cases I have bothered looking into.

Writing can be an art, but in most cases it is just a craft... so just do the f'n work you have been trained to do, nobody will be nominating you for a Pulitzer in game journalism... to even get the job, even with plagiarism you should be versed enough in the craft to write competent pieces.. so why throw your career away?
i think its hilarious. I think he was hired purely because of his youtube status (I never heard of him before IGN), so I wonder if he has any degrees in journalism or writing, any experience beyond what he puts on you channel and blog.
Or any college education for that matter. Granted, you dont even need a high school one to write about games, but the one thing they hammer into your head during those years is "dont fucking plagiarize, you will be expelled, your life could be over".
I dont know what went on in his mind to do what he did. Pressure? Probably. Maybe I'm overrating it, but writing about games, especially just game reviews, seems incredibly simple and easy. He had one pretty lax job, a dream job for many, and he blew it. He's incredibly stupid, but I wouldnt say evil.

theMightyME

i think its hilarious. I think he was hired purely because of his youtube status (I never heard of him before IGN), so I wonder if he has any degrees in journalism or writing, any experience beyond what he puts on you channel and blog.
Or any college education for that matter. Granted, you dont even need a high school one to write about games, but the one thing they hammer into your head during those years is "dont fucking plagiarize, you will be expelled, your life could be over".
I dont know what went on in his mind to do what he did. Pressure? Probably. Maybe I'm overrating it, but writing about games, especially just game reviews, seems incredibly simple and easy. He had one pretty lax job, a dream job for many, and he blew it. He's incredibly stupid, but I wouldnt say evil.
I feel similarly, but not that its funny...

but you make a good point about why IGN hired him in the first place.

IGN frequently tries to imitate the little guy, which is funny considering they are perhaps the biggest guy in the industry

yet they were quick to jump on board with lets plays and such too, which to me, were all about little guys leveraging what they could

it is kind of like a billionaire shopping at the 99 cent store

It seems like they put their efforts into getting an established personality, rather than a qualified Writer

Socar

How can you plagiarise a review? I mean reviews are a matter of opinion so if two people have the same opinion, how does it matter if its the same?

Atleast IGN is doing something worthwhile for once.

theMightyME

How can you plagiarise a review? I mean reviews are a matter of opinion so if two people have the same opinion, how does it matter if its the same?

Atleast IGN is doing something worthwhile for once.
seriously?

he didn't plagiarize the score or the conclusive opinion, he plagiarized the writing, the phrasing, the words, the structure

you and I may have the same opinion about lets say hunter x hunter being a great manga... but lets say I am writing for a tiny site and I post a review that has the following paragraph in it

"Hunter X Hunter, simply pronounced Hunter Hunter, manages to follow the tropes of Shounen manga while holding on to a darker edge that elevates it to something greater. Gon acts, in most cases, as the dumb but also strong and kind shounen protagonist you might expect from Dragon Ball, Naruto, or One Piece, but he can also be downright cold, and accepting of murderous traits that others of his ilk would frown upon."

and then you... working for a much larger site just copied and pasted that whole segment, and others, and just rearanged a few words here and there.. like

"Hunter X Hunter, which is pronounced Hunter Hunter, successfully follows the tropes of Shounen manga, while also demonstrating a dark side that makes it something more. Gon, the protagonist of the series, acts as the dumb, strong, and kind shounen protagonist you might expect from Bleach or One Piece, but he can also be rather cold, as he accepts the destructive character flaws that others of his kind would oppose."

that is what Filip did.. and as I said.. not just a quote here or there, it is as if he copied and pasted the full reviews and then just tweaked the wording...

there is a difference between sharing an opinion and copying the wording of another opinion... you can share an opinion and still phrase it in your own way

I seriously miss GameTrailers. I know they had plenty of faults, but in their prime they were everything I wanted from a game site and more. They made IGN look like amateurs by comparison.

A shame that Viacom killed the golden goose with interference.

Socar

seriously?

he didn't plagiarize the score or the conclusive opinion, he plagiarized the writing, the phrasing, the words, the structure

you and I may have the same opinion about lets say hunter x hunter being a great manga... but lets say I am writing for a tiny site and I post a review that has the following paragraph in it

"Hunter X Hunter, simply pronounced Hunter Hunter, manages to follow the tropes of Shounen manga while holding on to a darker edge that elevates it to something greater. Gon acts, in most cases, as the dumb but also strong and kind shounen protagonist you might expect from Dragon Ball, Naruto, or One Piece, but he can also be downright cold, and accepting of murderous traits that others of his ilk would frown upon."

and then you... working for a much larger site just copied and pasted that whole segment, and others, and just rearanged a few words here and there.. like

"Hunter X Hunter, which is pronounced Hunter Hunter, successfully follows the tropes of Shounen manga, while also demonstrating a dark side that makes it something more. Gon, the protagonist of the series, acts as the dumb, strong, and kind shounen protagonist you might expect from Bleach or One Piece, but he can also be rather cold, as he accepts the destructive character flaws that others of his kind would oppose."

that is what Filip did.. and as I said.. not just a quote here or there, it is as if he copied and pasted the full reviews and then just tweaked the wording...

there is a difference between sharing an opinion and copying the wording of another opinion... you can share an opinion and still phrase it in your own way
But what if he didn't steal it? Just showing proof that his words are the same doesn't really prove it. it's just a mere coincidence that he did it the same way. if you are to give similarity of the source, then how else are you suppose to say that Hunter x Hunter is a typical shouen manga?

theMightyME

But what if he didn't steal it? Just showing proof that his words are the same doesn't really prove it. it's just a mere coincidence that he did it the same way. if you are to give similarity of the source, then how else are you suppose to say that Hunter x Hunter is a typical shouen manga?
again... seriously?

it isn't just the statement it is the phrasing, and it wasn't 1 or 2 instances, it was the whole review... which BTW wasn't the only one, since then, 2 other examples have surfaced for other reviews he "wrote"

you think it is impossible to have a similar opinion and not use the same words?

I mean we aren't talking about him calling the game great, when another did the same.. we are talking about full sentences and an identical structure with only small tweaks here and there so that it doesn't surface if somebody dumps the full review into a google search

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Damn so It gets THIS much better?!!
Online works really well if all you want to do is farming quests. You go in, start the quest, put up a flare, and in 30 seconds 3 randos you've never heard of before are there to cart in two minutes tops. Then the quest finishes, they all leave, and you never see them again.

So it's perfect for doing shit with randos, not so great for...well.. anything else.

praisegrima

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Heh.

I hadn't even really remembered the TV refresh rate wars. It's all been resolution for a couple of years now.

Well of course it's stupid. But what is there to not understand? People do stupid shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Cooke

The only real "defense" is that writing can be soul-suckingly, shittily hard when you're on deadline, after you're already word-puked a bunch of useless news or clickbait. So people get tired and uninspired and do stupid shit.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I thought I was gonna play a whole bunch of Monster Hunter World and pretty much nothing else today, then instead I fangirled about Chrom for like, 3 straight hours and recorded and made this

then I played some World, doing mostly pointless, unnecessary grinding for another low rank armor set that I didn't really need but I kinda wanted just so I could get out of the Vespoid armor already.

Then I browsed the Wii U eshop (as you do), grabbed Circle of the Moon, and proceeded to play Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate. (I finally did a low rank village quest I hadn't done, Capturing a Qurupeco. Had to redo it though since I went in YOLO with G rank Abyssal Lagi and Hallowed Jhen gear)

praisegrima

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Well yesterday the forums weren't working for me, and I come back today and it's like "Bam! New forums!"
It's definitely interesting, but I will say that I appreciate that TNE put effort/money toward the forums and that is appreciated.
I was only now able to log into these forums. The past days people have been using the temporary address, tventhusiast.com/forums, but I'm not sure whether some of those posts are lost from here.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It feels like there are a lot of buttons on the Desktop version, if that makes sense. It's very clicky. Overall, I could get used to it, but I'd definitely prefer a more tender color that doesn't blow out my retinas like a halogen lightbulb.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
It feels like there are a lot of buttons on the Desktop version, if that makes sense. It's very clicky. Overall, I could get used to it, but I'd definitely prefer a more tender color that doesn't blow out my retinas like a halogen lightbulb.
Agreed. I'm using the Dark Knight extension on Firefox and it is a major improvement.

Attachments

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I was only now able to log into these forums. The past days people have been using the temporary address, tventhusiast.com/forums, but I'm not sure whether some of those posts are lost from here.
Your post was lost on the resolution/refresh rate thing, but I wanted to respond to it, because it was a great post.

Essentially, I think the guy's video isn't for people who are videophiles sitting super close to their high-refresh monitor gaming rigs; if you're sitting at a normal couch-appropriate viewing distance, the benefits of 4K or a 240 hz refresh just aren't super-apparent. The people insisting they're genetic freak/trained fighter pilots are mostly talking out of their asses; the exceptions exist who do discern meaningful difference...but playing to the fighter pilots may not be as economically viable going forward. If 8K takes off, it will be because of the hoppy-beer or nuclear-hot sauce crowd - the people whose sense of self is partly defined by MOAR. Otherwise, there might - might - be an equilibrium setting in with 4K and 60-120hz variable refresh rates.
Wait a second? WHERE IS MY R.A.P.?!?!?!? RIP R.A.P.

theMightyME

Humans don't see in resolution at all, nor is our vision in frames, we see tiny sources of light as our eyes cast around and those specs unite into images that are constantly changing... So the whole humans only see at this resolution of this frame rate is all bullshit

On top of that we need to stop thinking of resolution in a vacuum.... 4k at 120" is different than 4k at 6"

It is why 4k TVs START at like 55" and 32" TVs are almost always at 720p

But it vision, as I said isn't based on resolution anyways, when we focus on on a small area we actually see a. Much greater amount of detail within that small space then we would on the same space as our eyes take in a larger area... Which is why 720p is standard in TVs at 32" and under and yet most phone screens now are 1440p of they are over 5.5" and 1080p if they are 5" and under

Why would we need 1080p on a 5" screen inches from our faces and 720p on a 32" screen?

Because our vision isn't like that of a camera, not even remotely comparable

There is a huge difference, for example when reading off of a 1440p screen than doing so off of a 720p screen... Not watching movies... READING

For watching movies 1080p is fun on a phone screen

But 4k is noticeably different both in reading on a small screen, and watching TV on a large one

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So we started playing "The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker" on Switch this weekend. It's really interesting so far, and a lot of things that make you go "Ooooh, bitch, you's crazy".
I'm intrigued to see where it all goes.

Socar

The Legend of Zelda: Breadth of the Wild Impressions

I do not consider myself a Zelda fan but I like the series enough that I play them atleast once and then move on to other things. There are of course some exceptions like the fact that Phantom Hourglass will always be my personal favourite game and I like Link's awakening and Link Between Worlds as well.
After two years later, I got the game and this is what I have to say about the game. I will say that the game gave me a similar experience that I had when I played Majora's Mask but does it do better? Well let's find out in what I have to say about Breadth of the Wild.

Story: 3/5

Zelda games are always quest based and focus centrally on you doing a quest to beat the main villain of each game and this game is no exception. Link(who by the way is now addressed as Link in this game unlike the other games where its based on your name) falls asleep for 100 years and he is awoken by a mysterious voice he hears. He takes the Sheikah State and heads out to view the outside of the Shrine of Resurrection, where he encounters an old man who tells him to activate the great plateau and then tasks Link to get the four Shrines hidden somewhere in Hyrule. Once Link obtains all the four Runes, the old man reveals that he is the father of none other than Zelda and it is from here on that he requests you to fight Calamity Ganon and save Zelda. From here, the rest is more or less spoilers.

So if its spoilers, how can I say the story is average and does not deserve a perfect score? The thing is...the story is actually pretty straightforward. There is no plot twist, there are lack of main characters that appear here and further more, its more or less just between Link and Zelda and no one..not even Ganon gets to play big here. In one of the main quests of the game, you are tasked to find memories for Link to remember which involves him and Zelda for almost the whole time. There is literally nothing special from the story beyond this. I am assuming that the devs wanted the characters to relate together since the other games have almost not done this but if that is the case, then why not try this in a different approach instead of making the other cast more like minor setbacks?

Usually, I don't go deep into plots and this is where I say that you have to experience the game for yourself to see how the plot sticks out to you. But in my case, its decent at best.

Graphics: 4/5

Like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild looks amazing. Its cell shaded artstyle approach combined with realism makes it appealing. Nothing in the game looks bland as almost everything in the game looks vibrant and polished. I say almost because there is only one problem which is that the framerate occasionally will lag at certain points of the game and that is kind of jarring.
But if you look past that point, its still a gorgeous game to look at.

Audio: 3/5

The Audio once again like the plot is more or less a mix bag because for the majority of the game, there is a large amount of silence. Some will say that is the key part of the game design so it was intentional for the game to go silent which is certainly fair because not all games have to have music everywhere you go. The problem here is that there are songs that are played during fighting enemies, upgrading armour and playing minigames so if the audio can be played there and be fine there..then why not play it in the overworld a lot as well.
To its credit, I like how it brings back the familiar tunes that the series grew up with such as the main Hyrule theme, solving puzzles etc. And for the first time ever, characters are fully voiced in a Zelda game! But past that, there's not much to say here from the audio side.

Gameplay: 4/5

All right seeing as there are so many things to do here, I'm going to do it as a list to simplify what you can do and what you can't do and then finally the flaws that the game has

Things you can do

1. Ride a horse: All you have to do is find one, pet it, take it to a nearby stable and then register it. And you can take the horse anywhere you want it to go.
2. You can glide using the paraglider: The paraglider you get will be useful for going to very distant places. Of course, it requires you to go to higher places and a pro tip, you can use the sheikah to map areas to go.
3. You can take a lot of stuff: Pretty much every plant, fruit, weapon or armor can be taken at ease. Pick whatever you come across with as it will help you in the long run. Heck, you can even catch fishes, kill animals to get meat and get even monster parts that you get from killing monsters.
4. You can cook: Cooking is one of the main factors in this game. the stuff you get can be cooked in a pot. If you want elixirs that can heal you, get you heat, cold or electric resistance, well cook stuff to get them. Want to get stuff that restores stamina, cook something for it! Cooking is art and you'll be doing this for a long time!
5. You can buy Armour, customise it and upgrade it!: This game has a wide range of armour that encourages you to equip and upgrade of your choice. Just make sure you choices match that to the wildlife of Hyrule!
6. You can get more heart containers and Stamina: To get them, simply complete the shrines located around Hyrule and get 4 orbs and then go to a statue who offers you either hearts or stamina.
7. You can use your imagination: The game isn't limited to just one way of doing things as there are lots of solutions to do things like instead of wearing snow armour for the cold weather, why not use a fire rod for example? And the cool thing is that it works! There is a rune which lets you freeze water so you can climb on ice blocks. There is also one rune that freezes time for objects so you can go crazy with it!
8. You can play the game in anyway you want!: I think this about sums up what you can expect to do in this game. You can straight head to Ganon and end the game if you want or you can go deep and do the Divine beasts quests(which can make it easier for you if you ask me.)
9. You can climb anything!: Yes you heard that right. You have almost no limits on what you are allowed to climb and what you're not allowed. From mountains to rooftops to even large trees!
10. You can jump: For the first time in a Zelda game, you can now jump. I mean its not much but still its a step up in some form.

Things you cannot do
  1. You cannot buy weapons nor repair them: For whatever reason, it seems you can't buy weapons in this game nor can you repair them which are a bit problematic and I'll explain that in the flaws section.
  2. You cannot fly: You can glide but you cannot fly so your means of travel are either barefoot, riding a horse or using the paraglider.
  3. You cannot run or climb forever: You have the stamina wheel which returns from Skyward Sword. when you run or climb, your stamina depletes and when it fully reaches to 0, Link stops for several seconds. This can be a problem while climbing as he will instead drop dead so be careful.
  4. You cannot climb during rain: Climbing on rain is rather annoying because Link tends to slip down very often due to the wetness of the rocks. Your only other option is to wait till morning.
  5. You cannot get rupees from cutting grass: Its no longer the fact that cutting grass gets you hearts or rupees. You have to sell stuff to get rupees instead or play a couple of mini games too.
  6. You cannot climb inside shrines for some reason: I have no idea why but you can't for some reason climb inside the shrines.
  7. You cannot get the powerful weapons until very late in the game: Incase you're a speed runner type, its nearly impossible unless extreme effort is done.
  8. You cannot equip any clothes you like: This is pretty obvious. The game has weather climates similar to that of Majora's Mask except that it has three types. Heat, cold and storm and rain. You can't equip in any fashion and expect to go macho because the game won't let you do that. If you are feeling hot, get heat armour equipment and like so for cold.
  9. You cannot get things done fast: every thing here does not respawn instantly as it will take some time for them to appear again so if you are in need of something, try looking elsewhere.
  10. You cannot fight the weak enemies over and over again: As the enemies get beaten easily, they get revived and get more strong so weak enemies don't last very long in the game. Enemies also don't die permanently as the blood moon(kind of fearsome like the moon from majora's mask) revives the enemies overtime.
So those are the cans and dos so now lets explain the flaws the game has because no game is ever perfect.

The first flaw the game has is the difficulty. You will very often die a lot for either good or bad reasons and in my case, some of them were good while a ton of others were bad. A good example of this is being killed by an enemy far stronger than you and honestly is a big problem early on due to the open structure of the game. The game while doing enough to teach you the controls doesn't teach you various abilities that you need to master especially the combat which is hard to do so. Oddly enough, there are no handholding options for casual gamers to easily get into the game until the very near end of the main game which forces you to upgrade your armour and do tons of shrines. Once that is done, the game becomes horribly easy which is fair because you get strong and all but its still not balanced fairly to say the least especially when facing the final boss(who is the least challenging in the entire game if you ask me).
The second flaw the game has is its weapons. Now like I said earlier, you can neither upgrade them nor repair them which is a huge problem because the weapons tend to break and once that happens, you are forced to find a new one lurking around. This is also more problematic as you are initially allowed to carry only a few weapons. You can get more slots by doing a specific side quest and getting korok seed hidden everywhere around Hyrule but it takes a lot of time if you need a lot of weapons to hold.

And then lastly comes the content which can be a controversial topic to many here but I will say this. Your enjoyment from this game depends on what you expect the game to offer you because in my perspective, it gave me a similar feeling to that of Majora's mask having only 4 dungeons and one final boss but a huge world with lots to do. But unlike many games, you aren't rewarded in doing so but the joy you get out of doing those instead.

Let me put it this way...there are four main quests to do in this game. Beat Ganon, Get all Memories back, Fight the divine beasts and the fourth one I won't spoil here. That is all the main game objectives are. No catch here. On top of this, you have only four main dungeons meaning only four bosses. Luckily, these dungeons aren't terribly bad and are open structured. Now where the downside comes in is the other content which depends if you are the type that either just wants to end the main game as much as possible or get everything. If you are of the former, then you are not getting much of what the game has to offer you and if you are from the latter, the game doesn't reward you for your accomplishments.
Doing everything means encountering mini bosses, lots of NPCs, getting every equipment, getting all shrines, completing all side quests and getting every armour which essentially means that it is a 200 hour campaign. Me personally, I didn't bother much and just enjoyed what it offered.

For one, the Side quests aren't as fulfilling as previous games because they give you items that you can easily get from the wildlife and money which again there are ways to get it. I personally skipped them not because I wanted to beat the main game but because I have equipment that is good enough for me to simply ignore the quests.

Some of the shrines are not that enjoyable as they require you to tilt the switch around, fight the same enemy over again and have puzzles that are pretty much easy to solve and are less cryptic. Speaking of cryptic, pretty much a lot of things in this game are cryptic and unless you talk to specific people, you require a guide to solve most of the problems which ok to be fair is typical to that of a Zelda game of all but to such lengths?

Overall: 4/5
So with that out of the way, did I enjoy it? Well yeah sure its a solid game and Zelda always gets Action-Adventure genre right. It just has some flaws that other Zelda games did not have that much but is it worth atleast enjoying for what it is? Yes. Just be careful that its not for everyone since casuals may have a hard time playing this game.

Last edited:
The current state of the forums: Meh

Only likes? No RAP, LOL, SMH, etc? No additional themes for the forums?

Maybe it's all coming, but it's rather-what's the the word, umm...boring looking right now.
It's coming! I do need some help though. Who setup all the original plugins? I have a thread about the current dev work we're doing here: https://forum.nintendoenthusiast.com/posts/174651/

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
General question, how do you guys feel about the XenPorta add-on that we had? That's the one that allowed us to have featured threads and featured media on the forums home page. Installing it makes the current forums home page go away, so it's a matter of wanting one or the other, not both.

My personal inclination right now is to just set the forums home page to take us to the "New Posts" list by default, rather than the "Forums List". What do you guys think?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
More on topic: I gotta stop my jihad on Dual Analog aiming, apparently.

My question is, what the hell is this guy doing with his hands? How does one git that gud?