The Great CT - Community Thread

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Fun bit of Gamecube trivia:

You know how the Gameboy Player has that weird case with a cardboard slip cover, ya know how it's tiny and everything?

Yeah, that's the standard model case for the Japanese games. (I learned this today after buying Biohazard 1 and 0 and having them come in today)

praisegrima

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Fun bit of Gamecube trivia:

You know how the Gameboy Player has that weird case with a cardboard slip cover, ya know how it's tiny and everything?

Yeah, that's the standard model case for the Japanese games. (I learned this today after buying Biohazard 1 and 0 and having them come in today)

praisegrima
Yeah, I've seen those before having imported a few Japanese gamecube games

Socar

@theMightyME Ok so tell me one thing dude. If plagiarism is a serious issue, then how come fans use an existing IP and make it a free thing and if that gets taken down, then people bash at said corporate not understanding the fanbase and all that?

@Juegos Ok let me get this straight....you have the old one which we can still be fine using but then this new one shows up and....its not like what it used to be?

theMightyME

@theMightyME Ok so tell me one thing dude. If plagiarism is a serious issue, then how come fans use an existing IP and make it a free thing and if that gets taken down, then people bash at said corporate not understanding the fanbase and all that?

@Juegos Ok let me get this straight....you have the old one which we can still be fine using but then this new one shows up and....its not like what it used to be?
Just because there is hypocrisy doesn't mean the accepted issue isn't an issue

That's like saying "if murder is SOOOO bad, then why did OJ get away with it?"

And that is just surface level, I could dive deeper into your argument by pointing out that nobody is passing somebody else's work off as their own in your example... But why should I be bothered with that when I don't fall on that side of the argument either... Just for devils advocacy? No thank you

Just read this

http://howtojournalist.com/what-is-plagiarism-why-its-bad-and-how-to-avoid-it/

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The old one was working, but it had a lot of issues. For example, registration was broken, which may be part of why we hadn't seen new users in a long time. It's also not a good idea to keep old software when you're running an internet community, as it's more vulnerable to hackers that newer software. Generally, Xenforo 2 should have more features than Xenforo 1.

theMightyME

Cronut is fucking disgusting, not worth getting up early for at all
I've had a copycat cronut and it was delicious, but it was just a glazed donut made from croissant dough...

The flavor of this cronut is a bit strange (strawberry jam and basil), though I have had that combination before and enjoyed it... It looks delicious... And I didn't have to wait in line... Like I said though, I had his smores thing and it very well may be the best dessert I have ever had

(not my picture)

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
One year since Harvey. I keep seeing it pop up on all the social media. Glad to be a year away from that. My wife had gallbladder surgery 2 days before it hit out here in SE Texas and we got out when we lost power. No power = no water because I have a well pump. I remember talking to people and finding that the Sabine River had gone down to my East and the Neches River was still way to high and feeding into Vidor on my West. We had about 2 hours until the Sabine started coming back up because they had just released more water from dam up north. "There is only about a mile of water to go through, you should be able to make it in a high truck." Decided to Ford across the water in my Ford Escape and Tundra. Made it. Lived in a cousin's spider infested "pool house" for a few weeks while my wife stayed with family. I still remember a conversation I had with @mattavelle1 when I was living in the ol' spider hut about all the craziness, haha. After settling in for a day I was going back and forth on runs to get things out of family members houses and check on my land.

I remember freaking out the bad night of rains. We had already heard reports of up to 40 inches but the last night was the worst. I saw water moving towards my house at least 300 yards from the woods. It formed a river between my house and my mother's house a few acres away. I had mapped out the most shallow parts in case we needed to get them out because a current had started of surprisingly clear water. Her house was an island by the end. A tributary had run across my porch and I was tracking water movement from a pile of sand I was using to fill up sand bags for people from when it was going from bad to worse. I got lucky. 5 feet of rain in our area within a few days with the bulk of it happening during the bad night. That night turned into morning. I kept thinking it was over when the sun came up. A tornado dropped by and shook the house taking out some tree tops. I thought the rain would end but we got another foot before it was over.

We got really lucky. I had spent the bad night online. Surprisingly we didn't lose electricity for a few days until the Neches River swallowed the sub station for electricity where I live. I was fielding calls all night for friends and family to tell them where to wade over to, how to climb on their house, how ton contact the cajun navy, how to track the height of the water to determine whether they should leave, and all sorts of other things. My wife called it the command center. Luckily I managed, via twitter/facebook/etc... to get some people to safety whether that be picked up or in a shelter because I couldn't actually get to them. There are still permanent marker notations of the water rising at my sister's house that has been abandoned. Luckily the cajun navy got to them. My poor grandmother doesn't remember any of Harvey even though she had 5 feet of water in her house and was saved by the Cajun Navy. She has dementia and still has to be reminded her home was lost.(edited)

They had 10 people die on their road due to electricity not going out and gas lines rupturing. Some people passed as they waded through the water trying to escape Cow Bayou and the canals overflowing into places that have never flooded out in Orange County. Some passed due to electric shock.(edited)

The impact is still felt to this day as I know many people still living in trailers trying to finish their homes. At least I don't have to hear stories of my students living in cars anymore like the months right after Harvey. God bless all those that went through the hell of Harvey and those still dealing with the aftermath.

simplyTravis

simplyTravis' Top 5 Switch Games

1. Splatoon 2 - 295 Hours
  2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 120 Hours
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 105 Hours
  4. Skyrim - 70 Hours
  5. Rocket League - 65 Hours
I can't pull up quite a few games on this list so it may not be 100% correct. Last I remember Skyrim was over 70 hours but may be more.

I'm actually surprised I haven't put in more time to XC2. I plan on getting at least another 60 hours of gameplay out of it once the Torna expansion hits.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Mine's pretty low tbh.

Breath of the Wild - 140 hours
Splatoon 2 - 90 hours
Ultra Street Fighter 2 - 70 hours
Rocket League - 35 hours
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 35 hours
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 30 hours

Nothing else worth mentioning. I figure Hollow Knight will get up there. When a Metroidvania comes out I just sink mad time into them. Just during this past month I've put over 80 hours into La Mulana 2, for example.

Edit: For comparison, I have 875 hours into Overwatch.

And these are my playtimes on my most played games on Steam:

Steam Library Play Times.jpg
Steam Library Play Times 2.jpg
Steam Library Play Times 3.jpg

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Oh! Didn't realize that PC games were on the list so I'm gonna do that too.

simplyTravis' Top 5 PC Games

1. Toribash - 799 Hours (probably double since I was playing before it was on Steam)
  2. Pillars of Eternity II : Deadfire - 168 Hours
  3. Skyrim - 109 Hours (more before Steam)
  4. Pillars of Eternity - 84 Hours
  5. Tyranny - 60 Hours

Fallout 4 has 66 hours but I didn't include it since at least 10 of those hours were trying to fix bugs when it first came out. I still need to beat it.

Fallout 3 should probably be on this list but I played it pre-Steam.

Age of Mythology should be on this list probably close to Toribash because I used to play it weekly with friends before Steam (and probably high-speed internet in my area.)

I know I'm almost a decade late to this particular party, but my daughter just recently introduced me to Minecraft (recently as in, less than 3 weeks ago). I never played it before and honestly was never interested, but she plays it at her friends' houses and she seems fairly in to it. Well, she's been on holiday for the last 2 weeks so I decided to do a little project for her to see when she returns. My first ever Minecraft project. I decided to recreate our home in Minecraft, seeing as we're going to be moving out in the not-too-distant future.

It turns out, I had a lot more time on my hands than I initially thought, and I was definitely bitten by the Minecraft bug. Our house turned out really well, so I added to it: pixel art on the outside brick walls; a maze; an underground labyrinth complete with mine cart rollercoaster ride; and a huge rainbow consisting of nearly 14,000 blocks.

I think she's going to shit her pants when she sees it...

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

I hate it when I get all excited for a game, play some of it, enjoy it, then wake up and don't feel like playing it.

I really liked Generations. I like Generations Ultimate. But for some reason I just don't have the energy to play it even though now would be the perfect time to since a lot of ya'll are getting into it too.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So I had left youtube on after watching a few things on Brian May's Red Special guitar. I was washing my dishes, and a Queen concert started playing. ...with Adam Lambert.

If someone has anything to do with American Idol, my default position is rabid hate. I'd rather end up like Fredo Corleone on a boat than sit and watch an episode of that.

But shit...that guy has a voice. I don't think I've ever heard someone with a range that wide, exhibiting full and absolute control along the entire range. Not anyone in popular music, at least. Yeah, I'm won over. I don't know what the rest of his music sounds like, but he fits with Queen like a glove.
Humans don't see in resolution at all...
Well yeah, that's gone over in the video, on the the portion of anatomy and the physical mechanisms of the eye...but it's not remotely flattering.
Maybe it's all coming, but it's rather-what's the the word, umm...boring looking right now.
It could use some more of the old accoutrements, yeah, but it is a little slicker, overall. The old forum interface got a little bloated. I just want a dark mode.
More on topic: I gotta stop my jihad on Dual Analog aiming, apparently.

My question is, what the hell is this guy doing with his hands? How does one git that gud?
His right hand grip looks slightly odd; that, combined with what must be insanely high sensitivity settings, and likely a few thousand hours playing, will get you to that level. It is interesting seeing that strangely askew grip, though. (Not that I could ever play with sensitivity that high. I'd barf from the constant movement.)

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It could use some more of the old accoutrements, yeah, but it is a little slicker, overall. The old forum interface got a little bloated. I just want a dark mode.
If you scroll all the way down to the footer, above the xenforo copyright claim, you should see the name of the current style (might be "Default Style"). If you click on it you can change it to "Dark Theme (WIP)".

EvilTw1n

If you scroll all the way down to the footer, above the xenforo copyright claim, you should see the name of the current style (might be "Default Style"). If you click on it you can change it to "Dark Theme (WIP)".
Ah, better. Could use a touch more grayscale for a bit more distinction between posts, but now I don't feel like the screen is shouting at me. Thanks, dude.

simplyTravis

I hate it when I get all excited for a game, play some of it, enjoy it, then wake up and don't feel like playing it.

I really liked Generations. I like Generations Ultimate. But for some reason I just don't have the energy to play it even though now would be the perfect time to since a lot of ya'll are getting into it too.
That is exactly how I feel with Mario Tennis. And most of the games I got in Humble Bundles...

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So I had left youtube on after watching a few things on Brian May's Red Special guitar. I was washing my dishes, and a Queen concert started playing. ...with Adam Lambert.

If someone has anything to do with American Idol, my default position is rabid hate. I'd rather end up like Fredo Corleone on a boat than sit and watch an episode of that.

But shit...that guy has a voice. I don't think I've ever heard someone with a range that wide, exhibiting full and absolute control along the entire range. Not anyone in popular music, at least. Yeah, I'm won over. I don't know what the rest of his music sounds like, but he fits with Queen like a glove.
I love Adam Lambert! I was an Idol fan back in the day, and I was definitely Team Adam. I've seen him in concert, and he's definitely a showman. You're right, he's perfect for Queen.

theMightyME

I love Adam Lambert! I was an Idol fan back in the day, and I was definitely Team Adam. I've seen him in concert, and he's definitely a showman. You're right, he's perfect for Queen.
I have an issue with him... He had no subtlety at all, and to me, that kills the emotion of his performances... Freddy could belt it out, but he could also hold back and let a note play

Maybe Adam has learned subtlety, but when he was on idol he sure hadn't

EvilTw1n

I was sorta begrudgingly going along with it until I heard "Who Wants To Live Forever," and he slid up into a note that 90% of other singers wouldn't attempt. Then he added vibrato. Yep, sold. I only wish I knew about this sooner. They're doing shows out in Vegas. If they're back on the East coast in the future, I'm going. I don't care where it is. Queen was one of the reasons I started playing guitar.
I have an issue with him... He had no subtlety at all, and to me, that kills the emotion of his performances... Freddy could belt it out, but he could also hold back and let a note play

Maybe Adam has learned subtlety, but when he was on idol he sure hadn't
I don't think Lambert's voice is as rich as Freddie's, but...I mean, it's Freddie effing Mercury. There was only one. I would say Lambert has a theatrical quality, but that could be taken as an insult, and in truth, Freddie had that, as well, and I think the playfulness and cheekiness was part of Queen.

Of course, the other part of Queen was the earlier, more rampaging, verging-on-prog stuff. I just finally heard the "Live at the Odeon" remaster on Spotify today. Damn it's good.

Last edited:

theMightyME

I was sorta begrudgingly going along with it until I heard "Who Wants To Live Forever," and he slid up into a note that 90% of other singers wouldn't attempt. Then he added vibrato. Yep, sold. I only wish I knew about this sooner. They're doing shows out in Vegas. If they're back on the East coast in the future, I'm going. I don't care where it is. Queen was one of the reasons I started playing guitar.

I don't think Lambert's voice is as rich as Freddie's, but...I mean, it's Freddie effing Mercury. There was only one. I would say Lambert has a theatrical quality, but that could be taken as an insult, and in truth, Freddie had that, as well, and I think the playfulness and cheekiness was part of Queen.

Of course, the other part of Queen was the earlier, more rampaging, verging-on-prog stuff. I just finally heard the "Live at the Odeon" remaster on Spotify today. Damn it's good.
I don't mind theatrically, what bothers me is if he can't reign it in when necessary... On idol it was like every bite and time had vibrato, like he couldn't be subtle if he tried... Freddy did both, he went big, and then he reigned in, I have never heard Adam reign in anything... He'd sing Hey Jude like it was a Whitney Houston song

sjmartin79

I don't mind theatrically, what bothers me is if he can't reign it in when necessary... On idol it was like every bite and time had vibrato, like he couldn't be subtle if he tried... Freddy did both, he went big, and then he reigned in, I have never heard Adam reign in anything... He'd sing Hey Jude like it was a Whitney Houston song
I have to disagree. Adam's performance of Mad World was subtle and big when it needed it.

theMightyME

In other news, been listen to Ovid's Whithering and their song Oedipus Complex has the most badass build up in its intro... They also did a zelda cover medley

sjmartin79

I'm not sure if any of you are in the Caronlinas, Virginia, or Georgia, but if so, please be safe over the next few days at Florence heads that way. This time last year, i was dealing with Irma, so I can sympathize.

@simplyTravis - I saw there was a storm system potentially headed toward Texas. I hope it doesn't not affect you and your family.

simplyTravis

I'm not sure if any of you are in the Caronlinas, Virginia, or Georgia, but if so, please be safe over the next few days at Florence heads that way. This time last year, i was dealing with Irma, so I can sympathize.

@simplyTravis - I saw there was a storm system potentially headed toward Texas. I hope it doesn't not affect you and your family.
Thanks for the concern. It looks like it will just bring us about 10 to 15 inches of rain. Nothing too major. At this point if it ain't raining in multiple feet we're ok out here, haha. 5

My in-laws are in Georgia and I'm starting to think they are targets for bad hurricanes. They were staying with us during Harvey and now it looks like Florence is planning on beating up the Carolina's to get to them! They are up in the mountains and should only get 40-50 mph winds which aren't too bad though.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Finally installed a mod for Monster Hunter World last night. Now I've got pretty Switch Pro icons instead of Xbox prompts. (and now they're labelled correctly, so I'm pressing A like a normal person once again!)

Socar

While I was wiping dirt with the cloth that I got with the case, I decided to use a flashlight to observe if there are scratches. When carefully analyzing it, at the bottom left side of the screen, there are micro scratches and that's what shocked and saddened me.

I never dropped it, have always covered it with the two official cloths and then kept it on a case and just wipped it when necessary. It's just depressing that even when taking extreme caution, I ended up with those scratches.

I don't even know how those scratches appeared in the first place even and I'm dumb that I screwed up every application for the screen protectors however simple it was.

I guess I should be happy that they can't be seen without a flashlight and all..but still, it saddens me that I can't take care even when I try to...