The Great CT - Community Thread

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
While I was wiping dirt with the cloth that I got with the case, I decided to use a flashlight to observe if there are scratches. When carefully analyzing it, at the bottom left side of the screen, there are micro scratches and that's what shocked and saddened me.

I never dropped it, have always covered it with the two official cloths and then kept it on a case and just wipped it when necessary. It's just depressing that even when taking extreme caution, I ended up with those scratches.

I don't even know how those scratches appeared in the first place even and I'm dumb that I screwed up every application for the screen protectors however simple it was.

I guess I should be happy that they can't be seen without a flashlight and all..but still, it saddens me that I can't take care even when I try to...
Sand and dust will do that over time. I mean, they are essentially microscopic shards of glass. It's bound to happen.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Okay, so that Direct last night was 100x more exciting than the e3 presentation. Damn!
I think it is official that Square has forgiven Nintendo. Super excited for all the FF games coming.
Very excited for Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing for Switch! 2019 is gonna be a helluva year!

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I'm sorry but I don't get you..
part of that might be some of the gesture typing auto corrects I left in there so let me fix those

Scratches happen, so your best bet is to accept that it won't be completely enough, just avoid the more severe scratches through careful care

basically scratches will happen no matter what you do, it is just a result of physics, there are particles you cannot see, and tryign to wipe them away or having them rub against somethign will create... even exceptionally well cared for products will quickly develop tiny almost unnoticeable scratches, there is no way to completely avoid it, it will happen... so you just have to accept it... what you can do is protect it against the more severe scratches by being gentle and attentive when you clean... if you rub a screen ahrd when cleaning it you will drag these micro shards, that are f'n everywhere in our environment, roughly across the surface, and they will scratch it... so be more gentle when you clean. the dock can scratch the screen surface as well, though these scratches tend to not be over the actual screen, but on the bevel glass that expands past the screen... you can stop some of that by putting a protective microfiber cloth (the kind you clean glasses with) between the switch screen and the dock... or by adding felt tips to the harder plastic pieces that just out where the screen rests on the dock.. or by stretching th dock opening by jamming a book in there, or countless other things...

the main point though is you can not completely avoid scratches... it is impossible... so just do your best, and accept the rest

Socar

part of that might be some of the gesture typing auto corrects I left in there so let me fix those

Scratches happen, so your best bet is to accept that it won't be completely enough, just avoid the more severe scratches through careful care

basically scratches will happen no matter what you do, it is just a result of physics, there are particles you cannot see, and tryign to wipe them away or having them rub against somethign will create... even exceptionally well cared for products will quickly develop tiny almost unnoticeable scratches, there is no way to completely avoid it, it will happen... so you just have to accept it... what you can do is protect it against the more severe scratches by being gentle and attentive when you clean... if you rub a screen ahrd when cleaning it you will drag these micro shards, that are f'n everywhere in our environment, roughly across the surface, and they will scratch it... so be more gentle when you clean. the dock can scratch the screen surface as well, though these scratches tend to not be over the actual screen, but on the bevel glass that expands past the screen... you can stop some of that by putting a protective microfiber cloth (the kind you clean glasses with) between the switch screen and the dock... or by adding felt tips to the harder plastic pieces that just out where the screen rests on the dock.. or by stretching th dock opening by jamming a book in there, or countless other things...

the main point though is you can not completely avoid scratches... it is impossible... so just do your best, and accept the rest
Ok then tell me this, if scratches are to happen, then why people apply screen protectors knowing that if the scratch may be deep, it may scratch the screen as well? Why even bother with tempered glass if the broken glass shards may scratch the screen as well?

theMightyME

Ok then tell me this, if scratches are to happen, then why people apply screen protectors knowing that if the scratch may be deep, it may scratch the screen as well? Why even bother with tempered glass if the broken glass shards may scratch the screen as well?
Why bother taking care of yourself if we all die eventually anyways, why take care of a car if it will eventually stop working...

like I said, do what you can to protect it, you might even minimize it so much that the scratches and imperfections are completely unnoticeable

don't be absolutist, the world isn't binary it is analog... it isn't scratches or no scratches, it is tons of degrees of scratches... from microscopic and completely unnoticeable to cutting all the way down to the lcd in multiple place

personally I don't use a screen protector, but I try to be careful... I can already see some very very very small scratches on the bezel, but they are on the bezel, not over the actual screen, so I can deal with it, I don't freak out and have some sort of ocd panic attack about my switch no longer being pristine... its fine, just not perfect... no f'n big deal at all

I don't use screen protectors on my phones either

another thing to pay attention to is that you don't get to obsessive about wiping down your screen as little particles can land on your screen, and if you rub on them harshly you will scratch your own screen... so just get a nice microfiber cloth and use a gentle touch.... if you are obsessive about not seeing scratches at all use a screen protector, though the screen protector itself will get scratches and you will likely trap particles when you place and replace the screen protector that will cause their own scratches

their is no perfect answer, that is my point.... life cannot be made perfect

if you park your car and put a sun screen up against your windscreen to stop your car from getting too hot when the sun shines in..... your car will STILL get hot if it is hot enough outside... but it will be LESS hot with the sunscreen than without... the sunscreen provides some shade... it doesn't provide absolute reflection of all heat.... it is there to make things better, not absolutely solve the problem

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I finally broke down and figured out the menus for my bedroom TV (the one I use for 98 percent of my time at home, lol) and resized the picture to match the size of the screen, that way parts of the image aren't disappearing off the sides. I honestly have no idea why I put up with it for so long.

praisegrima

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Thank you @Juegos @theMightyME @mattavelle1 !!!
It was wonderful! We celebrated from Friday through Tuesday. Nothing over the top. Too old for that. lol
Friday was dinner with the whole family. Saturday we went to see Chicago the Musical and out to dinner with friends.
Sunday we got new iPhones and signed up for Direct TV Now - and thanks to that, the money we were spending on cable tv/internet has dropped by more than half.
Monday and Tuesday were a lot of relaxing by the pool, playing video games, streaming shows from Hulu, and eating fabulous food.
So begins my last year in my 30s.

wew. So I've done binged all I could of American Horror Story, barring the Cult (Trump) season as I have veerrrrrry little faith that it will be handled with any cleverness and would probably just be complete cringe.
I will now rank the seasons in order of quality.

1. Roanoke (s6)
2. Hotel (s5)
3. Coven (s3)
4. Murder House (s1)
5. Asylum (s2)
6. Freakshow (s4)

I only really enjoyed Roanoke and Hotel though. Coven dropped a few too many interesting threads in service of girl power? It was pretty ok.
Hotel was supremely stupid, took a couple of episodes to get into the good stuff though, probably the biggest fault of it all. That and the flamboyant and very sexual barrier of entry, but if you can get past that gratuitous self-fellating stuff theres some funny stuff this season. And it had a really sweet ending, if you ignore the fact that Lady Gaga apparently had a clause in her contract that said she had to be the last thing on screen.

Roanoke though, actually very fucking interesting, especially if you're binging this shit. It was a complete departure from the previous seasons, somewhat. What they did was really smart, so smart that I think it was completely accidental considering how dumb the series has been up to this point.
So this show isnt scary at all, or tense. A lot of the times the mysteries are completely obvious, and because all the ghosts are sexy and fucking each other, there's often zero scare factor. They make up for it with disgusting amounts of gore and blood at least, usually.
Roanoke dials that sexy shit back several levels and hides all the uber-melodramatic stuff in a conceit. The season is delivered as if it was a documentary, with "real people" being interviewed about their horrible ghost experience and the typical AHS-produced schlock being restricted to re-enactments within that documentary. Despite being explicitly told that its all re-enacted, the docustyle interviews gives those scenes a lot of weight. And this is amplified in the second part of the season, where the real people and actors that portrayed them are thrust into the real life haunting which is a nightmarish reality compared to the fluff they filmed in the reenactments. I think sexy ghosts was a neat idea at the beginning of the series, but after five seasons you get bored of it. So it was very refreshing and actually tense when the reality of the haunting featured more inhumane, unintelligble, unreasonable, ghosts that are just there to kill these fools. Super good.

The season stumbles towards the end, however. Suspension of disbelief is taxing after the first two parts. Most of that has to do with the shared universe all the seasons share, so when you have people that dont believe that ghosts exist despite the fact that in that universe at that point people are well aware of their existence, as well as many other phenomena including witches and demons, it comes off as dumb.
Also the idea that there are networks that would air what is essentially snuff films on national TV for ratings and profit. Super weird, but given the latests season, Apocalypse, it kinda makes sense that this shit would lead to the events of that season. A crapsack world that allows that shit fly deserves world destruction. Which again, is just too smart and subtle a theme for me to give Ryan Murphy any credit. But its there regardless, I'm impressed.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@mattavelle1 @Juegos

Hey guys! Yea, that was about 1 year ago today! I know that because my lease is up and I'm moving again!

This time it should be less eventful, I'm just moving a couple floors down into a 2 bedroom apartment. And my girlfriend is too, so that's pretty exciting for me!

How have you guys been?
All good on this end. I've been living in Austin with my brother for about a year now. There's also this now: https://discordapp.com/invite/yHPHQCr

That's where we're all hanging out lately, and what I should be working on most of the time. Drop by and check it out!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@mattavelle1 @Juegos

Hey guys! Yea, that was about 1 year ago today! I know that because my lease is up and I'm moving again!

This time it should be less eventful, I'm just moving a couple floors down into a 2 bedroom apartment. And my girlfriend is too, so that's pretty exciting for me!

How have you guys been?
Everything for the most part has been very busy for me over the past year DD. Our business bought a stone quarry, our reg business has been very busy (18 employees now). My oldest is 10 and my youngest 4. The wife and I celebrated 18 years and this has been one of the best years.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Hello, humans. It's been a very, very long time since I've been here, I think. Kinda busy trying to make sure I don't procrastinate myself into becoming stagnant. Seems like time is flying by a bit too quickly to my liking. When did this forum makeover happen?

I've finally gotten around to upgrading my PC. All that's left is to replace my processor. The move from Intel to AMD is hella weird, temperature-wise. I could've kept a steady and relatively low temperature on my old PC even on maximum load with a stock fan, but with AMD it seems like getting a proper cooling system is almost a necessity.

Finally gotten around to finishing Rayman Legends. It's an easier time, but I'd argue that the level design is a lot more creative this time around, and the music is just great. Even the bosses have improved and don't have any wonky hitboxes. Origin's Land of the Livid Dead stages are much, much better. The ones in Legend feels hella uninspired and cheap. I really miss the old hub-world layout.

And I've beaten Bloodborne! It took me a while but I've finally defeated the Placenta monster! Back to Dark Souls, I guess.

...and then there's that thing about a Bowsette.

Socar

Kirby Star Allies is the first Kirby game on the Switch and I personally like Kirby. Maybe not on par with Mario but still fine enough. Let's look at Kirby Star Allies

Story: 3/5

Like your typical platformer, the plot is basic. Kirby fell asleep and while the dreamland folks are minding their own business, a dark cloud approaches and causes chaos all over dreamland and its up to kirby to save Dreamland once and for all.
While the plot doesn't have much of cutscenes or anything to drive you into the story, atleast the one good thing about it is that the villains have some amount of depth which is decent atbest.

The flaws here were atleast have some interesting cutscenes for every time you open a new level which is sad because this game's plot is almost bland at best. Earlier Kirby games atleast had interesting openings and brief story cutscenes that made you immersed into the plot. But here...you don't see any of this. Even Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot had moments of depth in their respective plots.

Graphics: 4/5

Of all the Kirby games that I have played, this one really looks impressive and its on par with that of Kirby's epic yarn. For the first time in a Kirby game, the hub world is in a 3-D environment meaning that this is the closest Kirby has been on 3-D and these environments are gorgeous to look at. The details are vibrant and even the characters are more detailed compared to previous games. The only downside that I can think of is that the backgrounds are slightly blurred and the shadow effects can be slightly jarring to say the least.

Audio: 4/5

Similar to Graphics, the audio is superb not only bringing in new songs but also remixes of previous entries as well. They also manage to make the quality of the music as catchy as possible like how Kirby games always sound like. The only downside is that there are some songs that are just ripped right out of previous games that are not remixed.

Gameplay: 3/5

The game almost follows the same formula that was played in Kirby Triple Deluxe and Kirby Planet Robobot. You start with Kirby and the goal of each level is to reach the goal door. To obtain power ups, Kirby must swallow enemies that have abilities so that he can copy the enemy's ability. So for example, if Kirby swallows a fire based enemy, he can obtain the fire ability. However, Kirby can get rid of the ability and switch over to a new one whenever the player wants if the player finds an enemy with a different ability and so on.
Some levels have bosses that must be defeated to complete the level and the amount of bosses are surprisingly larger compared to previous entries. However, defeating bosses is slightly harder due to having more than one player making most of the boss fights chaotic at times.
The new thing here is getting allies. Kirby can throw hearts at enemies to make them as Kirby's allies. In the case of single player, the allies act as CPU players while multiplayer one player controls Kirby while the others control whoever Kirby throws hearts at. This is important because the levels are designed with teamwork in mind as well as getting specific abilities. There are parts where two are required to open a door while others are required to solve specific puzzle based rooms. Kirby can only ally with three of the enemies and if the player wants a different ally, the player has to get rid of one of the current allies. There are also friend combinations that give additional effects such as Kirby throwing a friend to destroy blocks or getting a fire sword from an ally. In some cases, the player goes to areas that make use of all the three allies and they are required for these sections to be completed.

While if Kirby dies if he loses all of his health, the allies can be revived if their health is lost but they will die if they either fall, get crushed or are left too long dying.

Each level has some amounts of puzzle pieces that connect a picture. One large puzzle piece is hidden somewhere in each level and getting that gives two or one puzzle piece. While not required to 100% the game, getting these pieces shows a completed picture that illustrates a bit of Kirby's history. Other types of collectables are stars that grant you extra lives when getting 100 of them or food that restores your health. Some levels have switches that unlock dream palaces where Kirby can get dream friends who perform differently compared to normal allies or can unlock extra levels.

This is the basic summary of how the main game is played so what are the flaws? As the tile of the review states, the game plays very safe for several reasons.

The first is the allies mechanic. Many of the levels are designed with the allies in mind and while this doesn't necessarily affect the single player experience, it largely affects the level design as a whole and parts of the levels require you to get more than one ally otherwise the levels cannot be completed even in solo. The puzzles are very simple and basic that the solutions are often given to you straight away with no clever twists or any areas that are well hidden. Not to mention that the game itself is much easier when getting allies in a game that is easy enough as it should be as they often tend to do the fighting more often than you.

While this issue is more of a personal one, some of the abilities that have been common in Kirby games are removed in this one for no reason. These include Wheel, Spark, Archer and Spark.

The third issue which is the main problem this game has unlike other Kirby games is the serious lack of content. While beating the single player campaign unlocks two additional modes, it still isn't saying much because the overall completion of the game can be done in less than 6 hours meaning that the game is extremely short. And the additional modes are not saying much as they are the same modes that have been played from Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot namely the time attack mode and boss rush. You do get two minigames where one is about cutting wood as fast as possible and the other one is shooting an asteroid at the farthest distance. Besides this, there isn't much to do unless grinding for the puzzle pieces to complete pictures is fun for you.

And the final problem is that the game follows the same formula that triple deluxe has. There is not much room of innovation in this game as there is nothing significantly different to say about the game besides the allies. This could have been the game to make a change but instead just reinvents the wheel of the previous two games.

Overall: 3.5/5

In the end however, what is delivered here is a good game at best. While a platform gamer may not find it worthy of a try, it certainly does enough to appeal to fans of the Kirby series. Hopefully the next game improves on the flaws of this game and does it better.

So I finished AHS: Cult and am now completely caught up. This was entertaining I guess, but yeah weird. Here's the thing with these seasons, there are no likable characters, almost no one to root for. Everyone is an asshole or too weird or stupid to care about. At the end of this season a hero SORTA became apparent, but she was also heavily unlikable throughout, so idk. The whole main message of the season was also unclear. I think what I found more engaging were the mysteries laid throughout, which were at points very obvious but better hidden than most seasons of the show.
So it was more clever than I thought, but I'm unsure at if some stuff was said with a level of irony or sincerity.

also saw The Good Cop. Its Monk, but somehow even less bingeable.

theMightyME

So I finished AHS: Cult and am now completely caught up. This was entertaining I guess, but yeah weird. Here's the thing with these seasons, there are no likable characters, almost no one to root for. Everyone is an asshole or too weird or stupid to care about. At the end of this season a hero SORTA became apparent, but she was also heavily unlikable throughout, so idk. The whole main message of the season was also unclear. I think what I found more engaging were the mysteries laid throughout, which were at points very obvious but better hidden than most seasons of the show.
So it was more clever than I thought, but I'm unsure at if some stuff was said with a level of irony or sincerity.

also saw The Good Cop. Its Monk, but somehow even less bingeable.
ever seen american vandal? season 2 was amazing

simplyTravis

So, the Switch is getting a sort of megaton for early teenage gamers (according to the talk I hear from my students.)

The Switch/Fortnite Bundle.

It has a couple free things for the game but, all in all, there ain't much to it. There is no price difference so it is technically a better deal than the Switch alone, but it is just odd that this is going to be a big seller.

Whatever sells Switches I guess. These kids with their newfangled, janky free to play battle royale games that stole Turk's dance.

I hope they pay him some ridiculous royalties for this...

Socar

So I have now decided to work on HCL as a test engineer but I decided it for wrong reasons simply because the overall family of mine just worded it in a manner that I have to go there.

I had a meeting with a cousin of mine and when I asked her whether if these workers will purposefully come late and it will affect my work, she then stated that here people come late and you will be required to work late when the time comes with no compensation and then she stated that I am after all playing games here so what are you going to do at home?

There's a difference between playing and testing and judging from this, I have some level of skeptical. Is it really true that work crunch is unavoidable and happens very often?

Socar

So I applied the Hori screen protector but the problem is that it ended up with some small lints that are almost barely noticeable. So knowing that screen protectors don't last long, I am thinking of getting the Orzly one which comes with five which is pretty sweet.
So to those that have it, is it worth getting it compared to Hori. Even if I didn't use that stupid yellow cloth that came with the protector and even if it was not having lints, I still would want a backup should it ever wear out someday. I like the Hori one because it was almost easy to apply. I don't know how easy the Orzly one is.
Also, I have no plans to get a tempered one. Yeah the screen stays safe and all but I'm not using the Switch outside and just using it indoors. Plus I may consider using it dock mode once I get a better monitor.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
I have not been on here in age's i think the last time i was around was when i ask trying to install a bunch of updates to my wiiu before pulling it from the internet and running out of space thanks to xenoblade lul...

simplyTravis

I have not been on here in age's i think the last time i was around was when i ask trying to install a bunch of updates to my wiiu before pulling it from the internet and running out of space thanks to xenoblade lul...
Yo, you should check out our Discord and hang out with us there! https://discord.gg/9eVQ8Ts It will be good to catch up!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So I finally bought a new phone. My old Galaxy S4 (which had been gifted from a friend of a friend) had served me really well. It's pretty amazing that a 5-and-a-half year old phone still worked pretty well. I probably would've kept using it if it weren't chewing batteries alive. The S4 got Android 5.0 and material design, and OS changes since then have been mostly iterative. And outside of metal-and-glass bodies, honestly, not much else had changed for phone construction - 5 inch screens with home buttons and compact bodies with slim bezels. I picked up plenty of phones to mess around with 'em in the past few years, but none of them really felt that different. Faster, yes. But not that different.

This new Moto G6 Play feels different. This is my first phone with a fingerprint reader, and it's flipping awesome. On the Samsung, it could take like 3 seconds to press the button, draw the unlock pattern, let the phone think for a moment, then actually unlock. Unlock the phone 20 times a day, that's 1 minute of your day. Which isn't a big deal, until you think "oh that's 365 minutes a year...and about 6 hours of my life...just to unlock a phone." I almost talked myself into buying a cheaper / non-fingerprint reader phone. Then I did that math in my head and spent the extra few bucks for this.

18:9 aspect ratio phones actually make some sense, too. It keeps the phone thin, lets you see more text onscreen, and gives room for onscreen navigation keys. The screen is 5.7" but probably gives you more like 5.5" of usable space with nav keys. Oh, and the screen is surprisingly awesome. It's "only" 720p and IPS, but the color accuracy is way, way better than the higher-res, higher-DPI display on the S4. And my 20:30 vision does not discern jagged pixels anywhere (it helps that Android uses font aliasing now, too). Remember when everyone was applauding Apple for finally going above 750p-ish screens? Now they're back there with the iPhone XR, and yeah, reviewers are admitting they don't see much difference. This Moto screen looks good, resolution be damned. One more iPhone comparison - dimensions. The old iPhone 8 Plus with its 5.5" screen measured 6.24 x 3.07 x 0.30 in. The G6 Play is 6.08 x 2.84 x 0.35 in. So it's 0.05 in. thicker, but the height and width are smaller - all with with a bigger screen.

And because of that lower resolution, the bigger screen is a little kinder to the battery, which is a huge 4,000mAh affair. This is honestly the biggest reason I bought the phone. Yes, I know OLED gets away with higher res by virtue of simply turning pixels off for black text/images. But I got very tired of my S4 being unreliable and dying if I dared to, y'know, use it. Lower-res plus bigger battery was my solution. Verdict? I've used the G6 Play for 2 days now, albeit somewhat moderately, while I've gotten the phone number ported over. Still, it has 77% left. Yeeeeeeeeah, buddy.

It supports fast-charging, too, which is nice. And it has a headphone jack, thank you very much.

Android 8.0 feels like a substantial upgrade, too. It's quicker (Discord and What's App open at flagship speeds), and the UI update for button-less navigation is truly great. I thought I'd miss having a home button and a back button. But it's extremely well thought out and streamlined. The drag on Android for all of these years is that it offers more customization, but it isn't as simple and elegant as iOS. I'm not sure if that's true any more. It is super-intuitive. And Motorola ships this thing clean. The only discernable customized launcher skin is that the app tray here is a darkened version of your normal background (instead of white). That's it. This is as close to stock Android Oreo as you'll find without buying a Pixel. Minimal bloat, too. There's an uninstallable Dolby Audio app (which I don't care about), and an FM Radio app (which is nice). Moto gesture actions are your tradeoff, and they let you do some Tony Stark shit.

Downsides? Well, it has a plastic back, which I'm fine with, but you may not be (glass eventually breaks, folks, it's only a matter of how many drops). The chipset is far from cutting edge and will age a little faster. No removable battery (damnit). I'm perfectly fine with the 720p screen, but again, maybe you won't be. The camera is good, not great.

But this is a freaking $200 phone. You can spend 5 times more if you want to, but you won't get 5 times as much phone.

Last edited: