The Great CT - Community Thread

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
There really is a wikipedia entry for everything, isn't there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan
Digital Foundry just did a literal video equivalent to my "New Nintendo Switch" theoretical spec concept and it wasn't as good. Lame.
It's an...odd bunch of hardware revisions.

-4K scaling? I mean...dude, your TV has a scaler. I'm sorry, DF, but most people don't notice a fidelity gap between Switch upscaling BotW to 1080p, then the TV upscaling to 4K. You'd be lucky to get freaking Netflix with 4K support on Switch. Saying this is a "must" is journalistic malpractice.
-WiFi improvements? I mean, sure? But you don't need an entire hardware revision for that.
-A better dock? Again, sure, but...you don't need a Switch redesign there. You need a dock redesign. (Or you can put a sock over it and be done with it.)
-More internal storage? OK, sure. MicroSD memory is getting pretty cheap, but 64GB would be better.
-Better kickstand? GTFO, DF. Don't waste my time on a video if this is gonna be an actual suggestion.
-Bigger screen with smaller bezels? Yeah, fine.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So my year has started off pretty well, pretty ok optimistic but not out reality.

My YouTube channel has changed quite a bit and I’m into very things such as this

I MEAN HOW CRAZY IS THAT!?!

EvilTw1n

So Travis Strikes Again is...quite Suda.

Is it repetitive? I mean, it's a brawler, so I guess that's true. But there is some depth and strategy to using the specials, and if you crank the difficulty, you will be punished for trying to button mash.

There are some not-explained-in-game limitations that I've read described as flaws, but I don't think they are. Only having two heavy attacks in a row is done on purpose, I think.

The camera is bad, and the text/story sections can drag, but overall? I like it so far. If you hate Grasshopper games, you'll hate this, too, but if you don't...
I MEAN HOW CRAZY IS THAT!?!
"Cause of death: Lake."

"...so, they drowned?"

"Not exactly."

Last edited:
So Travis Strikes Again is...quite Suda.

Is it repetitive? I mean, it's a brawler, so I guess that's true. But there is some depth and strategy to using the specials, and if you crank the difficulty, you will be punished for trying to button mash.

There are some not-explained-in-game limitations that I've read described as flaws, but I don't think they are. Only having two heavy attacks in a row is done on purpose, I think.

The camera is bad, and the text/story sections can drag, but overall? I like it so far. If you hate Grasshopper games, you'll hate this, too, but if you don't...

"Cause of death: Lake."

"...so, they drowned?"

"Not exactly."
you can squeeze out 3-hit heavy combos if you start from a dodge roll

I've been thinking a lot about this game, this Travis Strikes Again.
Having completed it and having now taken in a lot of surrounding media including reviews and impressions from various sources, I have come to the conclusion that the world is full of fake bitches. The fakest motherfuckers around, people who wear ideas solely to gain some favor among the masses and then use that influence to spout the most fucktarded shit around.
I'm happy to see that some good word of mouth is being spread about the game. It really is something most Suda fans would enjoy but some have been swayed away by the likes of IGN and Jim Sterling. I have been to /v/, shitposting central, and participated in several threads about this game, all of which have about as little shitposting as you could probably get out of that place. That's saying something.

If you would like to spot some fake bitches, let me give you the lowdown.
[all percentages are exaggerated for effect, but its also the damn truth]
Easy Mode and Review Crunch- 100% of the reprobates talking about how easy and repetitive the combat is are playing on Easy Mode. Most reviewers do, they need to bust through the game as quickly as possible and in order to do that you play on easy to skip to the juicy bits. In this process, they also skip over every single piece of text dialogue, which is a heinous thing to do in a Suda-driven game. How do I know they do this? Besides the litany of assholes that say "well, the Visual Novel sections can drag" (sorry ET, not really directed at your comment), they dont know basic combat. The most visible example of this is Giant Bomb's quick look of the game. Alex and Dan are baffled as to why Travis' UI Avatar is holding up a sign with a big fat glowing "R" on it. They assume it must mean to press the corresponding button. Alex then clearly presses the ZR button and nothing happens of course. What Travis is indicating is that the R-special is ready. You charge it up by doing consecutive attacks and then tap R to unleash a flashy, powerful, attack. The special then levels up so long as you dont take any heavy damage. YOU LEARN THIS IN THE FIRST AREA OF THE GAME! And by the second area, Alex has completely forgotten, and he aint alone. This is textbook for reviewers, they live in a crunch filled day with different games to review so they forget immediately and skip pass everything. You cant trust reviewers if they live like this.

One of the reasons why Nintendo-only sites skew the score of this game up is because they dont have this large swath of games to deal with. They can focus on a smaller number of titles and give them each more attention. Its not because they're sycophants. My mind is blown by this revelation.

Easy mode in this game means you can do a rush attack (hold Y) and get through much of the game's mobs without much resistance. You can tell when someone is on easy mode based on how much damage they take with a hit, and by large, most are playing on easy mode, the rest on mild, none on Bitter. If one of your complaints about the game is the difficulty and how mindless the combat is, why wouldnt you raise the difficulty? Its all bullshit.

Fake Fanhood- Yesterday was my cousin's birthday, we had tacos, and I had a taco for every time I heard "Now, I'm a Suda fan, BUT..." in a video or review. I ate 11 tacos. And then some more.
This is some of the most insulting shit. If you say you are a big Suda fan, as so many people like to preface their reviews with, then the shit that happens in this game is fucking nuts. A while ago Suda mentioned that he wanted to create an Avengers-like game that connected the stories of his various games in his Suda-verse. Some light spoilers, this is that game. A big brain Suda fan would know that immediately from the first Visual Novel segment onward, but these people are fake fans that only want to trick you into trusting them, they want some credibility. The game is a fucking reflection on Suda's career by the man himself. As such, literally everything he's worked on is referenced and adored on some level, usually in the visual novel that these "fans" have so brazenly chosen to ignore. Suda is basically "story-first" developer, and loves himself some thematic and subtle story telling. When you skip these things and dont understand the point of any design decision or plot point, you reveal yourself to be nothing but a big ass fake.

What they really mean when they say "I'm a big Suda fan" is "I've played NMH and Killer 7". No shame here, my Suda knowledge is pretty bare as well, having only played the NMH games, Killer 7, Shadows of the Damned, and The Silver Case.
So, with this in mind, I went out of my way to attempt to challenge one particular person, Shawn Long, on this. He's a hater, calling the game actually bad, the worst in the series, etc. But like so many others, people have a dreamlike perception of what No More Heroes actually plays like and the structure of it all. While criticizing the game, he went to say something along the lines of "the combat itself is lackluster", to which I said "you just described every Suda game ever". Because its the truth. He can go on to say "well, sure you're tapping one button the entire time but you have these wrestling moves that break up the combat", to which I say "In Travis Strikes Again you can force choke enemies and throw their bodies at other enemies". I would say the combat in TSA is more involved than it ever was in the series.

Structurally, its almost as No More Heroes 1 as you can get. Replace the mindless combat of NMH1 with the "mindless" combat of TSA. Replace the coconut grind in NMH1 with the funny, universe-building, visual novel segments of TSA. Replace wrestling with skill chips (but also theres still some wrestling). Replace the stages with gimmicks in NMH1 with stages with gimmicks that also serve to build and give depth to the boss you fight in TSA.
At least, that's how I see it. What people remember of NMH1 is the boss fights and none of the surrounding (but likely intentional and meaningful) nonsense of it. So they compare TSA to this idealized version of NMH, and its unfair.

They Didnt Beat The Game- 80% of these people never beat the game. Shawn outright admits to never beating the game, he ran into a "glitch" that no one else ever did that broke his game and he doesnt want to go back to restart the game because he hates it that much. Nevermind that despite this he still took time to call the game a short 7-hour affair that wasnt even worth that. Amazing.
Jim Sterling is another such moron, probably the loudest out there and the most parroted I've seen in comments across the web. He never beat the game. There's a very specific tell for this, and it has to do with the post-credits scene. If you beat it or dont care for spoilers, click ahead:
In the post-credits scene you are dropped into a test level where the perspective is behind the back NMH style. You can do some regular attacks like you would in a traditional NMH game and move around. Travis then confirms that NMH3 is happening (although this is also mentioned numerous times in the game elsewhere).
Despite this existing, and that its something anyone who has beaten the game will see, countless reviewers and videos still spout the narrative that you're being "blackmailed into buying TSA to fund NMH3", that "NMH3 is being held hostage", or "why did we get this when we could have gotten NMH3 wtf". Its happening regardless of sales. But they dont know that. Because they never finished it.
And I dont blame them. If you spent the entire game rush attacking, those final levels are a son of a bitch.

The one thing that would have saved this game from the unfair scrutiny it has gotten would have been voice acting. If we had some sorta "what if" machine, I guarantee you this would be getting 8s and 9s across the board if they replaced all the text with spoken word dialogue. Its what these fakes remember Killer 7 and NMH for after all, they are basic. They cant READ.
Another thing that would have helped is blood. As far as I cant tell, there is none, and later in the game that becomes a specific and creepy plotpoint. But we just established they dont read.
Its a shame they are shooing away so many actual fans from this game considering how essential this will likely be to the legit NMH3. But whatcha gonna do, maybe in a few years they'll realize their mistake and start calling this something like "underrated". And thus ends and begins a full cycle of bullshit.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I've been thinking a lot about this game, this Travis Strikes Again.
Having completed it and having now taken in a lot of surrounding media including reviews and impressions from various sources, I have come to the conclusion that the world is full of fake bitches. The fakest motherfuckers around, people who wear ideas solely to gain some favor among the masses and then use that influence to spout the most fucktarded shit around.
I'm happy to see that some good word of mouth is being spread about the game. It really is something most Suda fans would enjoy but some have been swayed away by the likes of IGN and Jim Sterling. I have been to /v/, shitposting central, and participated in several threads about this game, all of which have about as little shitposting as you could probably get out of that place. That's saying something.

If you would like to spot some fake bitches, let me give you the lowdown.
[all percentages are exaggerated for effect, but its also the damn truth]
Easy Mode and Review Crunch- 100% of the reprobates talking about how easy and repetitive the combat is are playing on Easy Mode. Most reviewers do, they need to bust through the game as quickly as possible and in order to do that you play on easy to skip to the juicy bits. In this process, they also skip over every single piece of text dialogue, which is a heinous thing to do in a Suda-driven game. How do I know they do this? Besides the litany of assholes that say "well, the Visual Novel sections can drag" (sorry ET, not really directed at your comment), they dont know basic combat. The most visible example of this is Giant Bomb's quick look of the game. Alex and Dan are baffled as to why Travis' UI Avatar is holding up a sign with a big fat glowing "R" on it. They assume it must mean to press the corresponding button. Alex then clearly presses the ZR button and nothing happens of course. What Travis is indicating is that the R-special is ready. You charge it up by doing consecutive attacks and then tap R to unleash a flashy, powerful, attack. The special then levels up so long as you dont take any heavy damage. YOU LEARN THIS IN THE FIRST AREA OF THE GAME! And by the second area, Alex has completely forgotten, and he aint alone. This is textbook for reviewers, they live in a crunch filled day with different games to review so they forget immediately and skip pass everything. You cant trust reviewers if they live like this.

One of the reasons why Nintendo-only sites skew the score of this game up is because they dont have this large swath of games to deal with. They can focus on a smaller number of titles and give them each more attention. Its not because they're sycophants. My mind is blown by this revelation.

Easy mode in this game means you can do a rush attack (hold Y) and get through much of the game's mobs without much resistance. You can tell when someone is on easy mode based on how much damage they take with a hit, and by large, most are playing on easy mode, the rest on mild, none on Bitter. If one of your complaints about the game is the difficulty and how mindless the combat is, why wouldnt you raise the difficulty? Its all bullshit.

Fake Fanhood- Yesterday was my cousin's birthday, we had tacos, and I had a taco for every time I heard "Now, I'm a Suda fan, BUT..." in a video or review. I ate 11 tacos. And then some more.
This is some of the most insulting shit. If you say you are a big Suda fan, as so many people like to preface their reviews with, then the shit that happens in this game is fucking nuts. A while ago Suda mentioned that he wanted to create an Avengers-like game that connected the stories of his various games in his Suda-verse. Some light spoilers, this is that game. A big brain Suda fan would know that immediately from the first Visual Novel segment onward, but these people are fake fans that only want to trick you into trusting them, they want some credibility. The game is a fucking reflection on Suda's career by the man himself. As such, literally everything he's worked on is referenced and adored on some level, usually in the visual novel that these "fans" have so brazenly chosen to ignore. Suda is basically "story-first" developer, and loves himself some thematic and subtle story telling. When you skip these things and dont understand the point of any design decision or plot point, you reveal yourself to be nothing but a big ass fake.

What they really mean when they say "I'm a big Suda fan" is "I've played NMH and Killer 7". No shame here, my Suda knowledge is pretty bare as well, having only played the NMH games, Killer 7, Shadows of the Damned, and The Silver Case.
So, with this in mind, I went out of my way to attempt to challenge one particular person, Shawn Long, on this. He's a hater, calling the game actually bad, the worst in the series, etc. But like so many others, people have a dreamlike perception of what No More Heroes actually plays like and the structure of it all. While criticizing the game, he went to say something along the lines of "the combat itself is lackluster", to which I said "you just described every Suda game ever". Because its the truth. He can go on to say "well, sure you're tapping one button the entire time but you have these wrestling moves that break up the combat", to which I say "In Travis Strikes Again you can force choke enemies and throw their bodies at other enemies". I would say the combat in TSA is more involved than it ever was in the series.

Structurally, its almost as No More Heroes 1 as you can get. Replace the mindless combat of NMH1 with the "mindless" combat of TSA. Replace the coconut grind in NMH1 with the funny, universe-building, visual novel segments of TSA. Replace wrestling with skill chips (but also theres still some wrestling). Replace the stages with gimmicks in NMH1 with stages with gimmicks that also serve to build and give depth to the boss you fight in TSA.
At least, that's how I see it. What people remember of NMH1 is the boss fights and none of the surrounding (but likely intentional and meaningful) nonsense of it. So they compare TSA to this idealized version of NMH, and its unfair.

They Didnt Beat The Game- 80% of these people never beat the game. Shawn outright admits to never beating the game, he ran into a "glitch" that no one else ever did that broke his game and he doesnt want to go back to restart the game because he hates it that much. Nevermind that despite this he still took time to call the game a short 7-hour affair that wasnt even worth that. Amazing.
Jim Sterling is another such moron, probably the loudest out there and the most parroted I've seen in comments across the web. He never beat the game. There's a very specific tell for this, and it has to do with the post-credits scene. If you beat it or dont care for spoilers, click ahead:
In the post-credits scene you are dropped into a test level where the perspective is behind the back NMH style. You can do some regular attacks like you would in a traditional NMH game and move around. Travis then confirms that NMH3 is happening (although this is also mentioned numerous times in the game elsewhere).
Despite this existing, and that its something anyone who has beaten the game will see, countless reviewers and videos still spout the narrative that you're being "blackmailed into buying TSA to fund NMH3", that "NMH3 is being held hostage", or "why did we get this when we could have gotten NMH3 wtf". Its happening regardless of sales. But they dont know that. Because they never finished it.
And I dont blame them. If you spent the entire game rush attacking, those final levels are a son of a bitch.

The one thing that would have saved this game from the unfair scrutiny it has gotten would have been voice acting. If we had some sorta "what if" machine, I guarantee you this would be getting 8s and 9s across the board if they replaced all the text with spoken word dialogue. Its what these fakes remember Killer 7 and NMH for after all, they are basic. They cant READ.
Another thing that would have helped is blood. As far as I cant tell, there is none, and later in the game that becomes a specific and creepy plotpoint. But we just established they dont read.
Its a shame they are shooing away so many actual fans from this game considering how essential this will likely be to the legit NMH3. But whatcha gonna do, maybe in a few years they'll realize their mistake and start calling this something like "underrated". And thus ends and begins a full cycle of bullshit.
“The world is full of fake bitches” “The fakest mutherfukers around”.

Yes, yes it is it’s a very different world today, a world we’re people don’t actually hold viewpoints, and the only time they do it’s for the attention or personal gain.

The game made me think and like an idiot I used it to shitpost FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
But seriously. Fuck. Suda told something very personal here and for people to be blind to it because it isnt what they wanted is sad. The game reminds me of Breakfast of Champions, the novel by Kurt Vonnegut.

EvilTw1n

you can squeeze out 3-hit heavy combos if you start from a dodge roll
Why yes, yes you can.

I'm still in Coffee and Doughnuts, but an addendum on difficulty comments - I've read people saying it's too easy (meaning they only played the tutorial), and people saying it's too difficult for the "limited" moveset (which means they aren't creative and can't play a game without Z targeting). This isn't a matter of subjectivity; these are both objectively wrong. This game bares its teeth after the tutorial, and I put it down to freaking sweet-mode for a breather. A "limited moveset" cannot exist in a game with light and heavy attacks, heavy combos, jump attacks for AOE, four specials, one ultra-special, dodging as an integral skill, and damn near magic management (hmm, when shall I cast this shield?).

And unless the back half of this goes to absolute shit? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that (at least so far) this is the most polished of the NMH games. People forget that NMH had an open world with shit driving physics and collision detection. Yes, I know, that was done on purpose, but TSA retains that "I'm doing this on purpose" pastiche without wonkiness. I played through a chunk of the platforming last night, the same that I read was terrible. It isn't. Not even close. It ain't Mario, but it is 100% functional.

(And there are optional paths in there. I followed one last night that turned out to be an invitation to a gang bang, with me as the featured guest. Anyone saying this game is too easy hasn't looked around. I was on a magic pixel there.)
The game reminds me of Breakfast of Champions, the novel by Kurt Vonnegut.
I really need to pick that back up. It was tough to read that as a follow up to Slaughterhouse, Mother Night, and Cat's Cradle. I wasn't into BoC at the time, but I'm past due for a retry.

Cat's Cradle and Sirens of Titans are probably my favorite. BoC is a tough read, pretty dry, and very depressing.
It's also kind of the last book you want to read of his. It's a weird thing to say, since its not his last book (but timequake sucks so dont bother with that).
That goes in to why I am reminded of it. It's also a work of reflection. There's a number of references and connections between that novel to others of his. It's about as meta as a No More Heroes game gets. The ending is deeply personal and depressing.
There's what I believe to be an analog for Suda himself in TSA, much like Kilgore Trout is an analog for Kurt Vonnegut. And they both put those characters through some mean stuff that is probably based on reality, so thats fucked.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
On Vonnegut: On Mike's recommendation, I read Slaughterhouse-Five, Mother Night, and Cat's Cradle. I then picked up Jailbird and Opinions, but I lost all motivation to keep reading him. He's really good, though. I just burned out a bit.

also I think I just found that gangbang room in Coffee and Doughnuts. Well, there are several but this one basically instakilled me. Stuffed me in a room trap with Bugwhis and 3 exploding dudes. Messed up

EvilTw1n

Cat's Cradle and Sirens of Titans are probably my favorite. BoC is a tough read, pretty dry, and very depressing.
It's also kind of the last book you want to read of his. It's a weird thing to say, since its not his last book (but timequake sucks so dont bother with that).
That goes in to why I am reminded of it. It's also a work of reflection. There's a number of references and connections between that novel to others of his. It's about as meta as a No More Heroes game gets. The ending is deeply personal and depressing.
There's what I believe to be an analog for Suda himself in TSA, much like Kilgore Trout is an analog for Kurt Vonnegut. And they both put those characters through some mean stuff that is probably based on reality, so thats fucked.
Duly noted. I have Sirens, loaned it to a friend, hadn't gotten it back until like two months ago. It's next on the list (since Vonnegut graded it as one of his "A" books). Have to pull that out for nightcap duty. And I'll leave Breakfast for later.
On Vonnegut: On Mike's recommendation, I read Slaughterhouse-Five, Mother Night, and Cat's Cradle. I then picked up Jailbird and Opinions, but I lost all motivation to keep reading him. He's really good, though. I just burned out a bit.
Lemme know when you get into Jailbird. Like you, I mainlined a lotta Vonnegut very quickly. But then I went back and re-read the books I bought (a few times each for SH5 and CC...think I only read MN twice), and didn't venture much further out. Probably flamed out on A Man Without a Country, which was an odd thing to read right before he died. I went on a buying spree a few summers ago at the cheap bookstore and got almost all of his catalog, though.

Yeah, that settles it. Digging into Sirens tonight.
also I think I just found that gangbang room in Coffee and Doughnuts. Well, there are several but this one basically instakilled me. Stuffed me in a room trap with Bugwhis and 3 exploding dudes. Messed up
Yep, I got caught ankle-trousered with those exploding dudes. There's also one
within a platforming section, an alternate path, where you don't follow the suggested path up and jump down from one of the levitating doughnuts, and that leads to an Unreal logo collectable, and it's not so much any one enemy there, as there's like 7 waves of them
. I'm guessing there's quite a few other paths. I remember seeing a Ramen cart on the other side of a "bug" wall, where that room ends. Gotta figure that one out.

Also, got to the racing game. Alright, so...it isn't that great. Superb effing style, naturally, but an RNG gearbox is just kinda silly. I'm calling it a night on that one.

[The song that plays in the apartment is fucking fantastic, though. I let that roll for like 10 minutes.]

Last edited:
Someone took my takes (that should have been clear to anyone who actually played the game and wasn't a poser) and put it into a coherent video. It's pretty spoilerfree, and even includes a different idea on the whole "NMH3 hostage" that I probably should have thought up first

EvilTw1n

A proposal - the Sterling rule.

You can sometimes tell how good a game is by its critical foils. So if the guy who didn't grok Breath of the Wild, but loved COD:MW3's single-player* doesn't like your game? Ay, you're worth checking out.

TBH, I think TSA's overall meta score is about where it should be. I'd say 7.5 range is fair. All of the 5.0-range games that bemoan "repetitive gameplay" must've never played the original, though. TSA is - by a very wide margin - the most mechanically robust NMH.

[*MW3's multi was underrated-good on Wii. Akimbo just wrecked the balancing, unfortunately.]
Someone took my takes (that should have been clear to anyone who actually played the game and wasn't a poser) and put it into a coherent video. It's pretty spoilerfree, and even includes a different idea on the whole "NMH3 hostage" that I probably should have thought up first
The bit on "Suda's holding NMH3 hostage and making us buy TSA first!" leaves out one other current bit of nonsense. Other indies do Kickstarters and ask for you to pledge money on something you would be lucky to get in 3-4 years, if it ever comes out at all. Suda went the traditional route - he made something that you could freaking buy and play if you want to show your support. Would people prefer to be "held hostage" by an-ever morphing Kickstarter?

On why there's UE logos everywhere, though, I think there's an explanation there that feeds into the game's development. Suda's last game as a formal, hands-on director was NMH. Grasshopper has made UE games, but not with Suda getting handsy on the front lines with the development tools. I'd guess that he was kinda blown away with how UE4 let him bend and twist this gameplay style, so yeah, logos. But crucially, this was also a training ground. He made TSA so he could learn how to freaking use UE4 - in order to make NMH3.

[Also, I know people tongue-fuck Rockstar for their humor and satire, but TSA is the only game I've laughed out loud at. Not LOL. Actually bursting into laughter on my couch.]

Last edited:

Socar

Happy new year to y'all!

Guess what? I removed that orzly screen protector because it kept having bubbles that grew whenever my switch was charging or when it was getting warmer.

But guess what? I have decided to play Switch games in dock mode from now on! Yep that's right! And the resolution is so much better on Dock too.

Now I just need that Dock sleeve or some kind so that I can always put the Switch on dock with no worries.

I gotta go with @theMightyME on this one. Screen protectors are a waste of money unless you're someone who plays games at extreme level of lighting or some clumsy oaf who constantly drops devices one way or another.

I will say though that the Switch gets a bit heated when on Dock. Is that normal?

Socar

There really is a wikipedia entry for everything, isn't there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan

It's an...odd bunch of hardware revisions.

-4K scaling? I mean...dude, your TV has a scaler. I'm sorry, DF, but most people don't notice a fidelity gap between Switch upscaling BotW to 1080p, then the TV upscaling to 4K. You'd be lucky to get freaking Netflix with 4K support on Switch. Saying this is a "must" is journalistic malpractice.
-WiFi improvements? I mean, sure? But you don't need an entire hardware revision for that.
-A better dock? Again, sure, but...you don't need a Switch redesign there. You need a dock redesign. (Or you can put a sock over it and be done with it.)
-More internal storage? OK, sure. MicroSD memory is getting pretty cheap, but 64GB would be better.
-Better kickstand? GTFO, DF. Don't waste my time on a video if this is gonna be an actual suggestion.
-Bigger screen with smaller bezels? Yeah, fine.
I've had a 64GB sd card and have never once bothered to get a better storage.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
With yesterday's shocking news of Metroid Prime 4 being delayed, on top of restarting development with an entirely different Developer-this case being Retro Studios, I am very curious on the timeline of events that transpired.

A Senior Editor with Gameinformer, Imran Khan, posted some interesting tweets yesterday with regards to the news, and what I find most interesting about it is he mentioned Retro studios pitched a demo to Nintendo for MP4, and they liked enough to give them the job. My biggest issue with this though is what made Retro Studios even come up to do a demo in the first place? MP4 was already well within development, too years possibly, and did they just think, "Hey, we can do better" and created the demo? I suppose it's possible Retro Studios has knowledge of various games currently in development under Nintendo, and maybe heard of the struggles going on, maybe even seeing some footage, and didn't like the progress. Don't know for sure, but it makes me pause for a bit.

Another thing is what Imran also said, which is that MPT is already finished, and was supposed to be unveiled last month. If this is the case, here's what I theorize: Nintendo had plans to showcase Metroid Prime 4 during the Game Awards last month with Metroid Prime Trilogy (think Bayo from the year prior), but when Nintendo came to the developers for an update on development progress, they were not happy with the current state (this could've happened maybe October or so), Retro pitched their idea in the meantime, and Nintendo then made the executive decision to restart development in the process.

I do, however, feel that Metroid Prime Trilogy is still very much still happening, but the news of MP4 has delayed that. I predict by the end of this fiscal year we will have confirmation of MPT's existence from Nintendo, but may not be launched by that point.

I'm both glad, and sad that MP4 had this happen, but if it means it'll be on the caliber of the first Metroid Prime, then I'm all for it.

I don't know what to make of this mp4 news. I was never on board with it being outsourced to Namco... but I'm probably equally not on board with it being given to Retro now. If Retro was the right developer for MP4, why not give it to them in the first place? The fact that Nintendo didn't give the job to Retro 2 years ago, despite the fact that they made the original trilogy, tells me that Nintendo had no confidence in Retro's ability to deliver the new Metroid Prime game that the fans want. And now they do?? I don't know about you, but I'm remaining cautious for the time being.

As for the delay (which inevitably must be a rather lengthy one), I'm not bothered. I'd rather wait an extra 2 years to play the best possible version of Prime 4, than play an OK one in 2019.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
My oldest and youngest today in the car (who are very opposite and that’s ok lol) this was the convo if you want a laugh (my youngest is Mattavelle2) ages now 10 and 5

Youngest: man I wish I had 1 million dollars!

Oldest : Why Deacon what would you do with it?

Youngest : I JUST WANNA PUNCH IT!
Hell man, you don't need a million dollars to punch it. Just take a look at ma cousin: He's broke, and punches everything!

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
With yesterday's shocking news of Metroid Prime 4 being delayed, on top of restarting development with an entirely different Developer-this case being Retro Studios, I am very curious on the timeline of events that transpired.

A Senior Editor with Gameinformer, Imran Khan, posted some interesting tweets yesterday with regards to the news, and what I find most interesting about it is he mentioned Retro studios pitched a demo to Nintendo for MP4, and they liked enough to give them the job. My biggest issue with this though is what made Retro Studios even come up to do a demo in the first place? MP4 was already well within development, too years possibly, and did they just think, "Hey, we can do better" and created the demo? I suppose it's possible Retro Studios has knowledge of various games currently in development under Nintendo, and maybe heard of the struggles going on, maybe even seeing some footage, and didn't like the progress. Don't know for sure, but it makes me pause for a bit.

Another thing is what Imran also said, which is that MPT is already finished, and was supposed to be unveiled last month. If this is the case, here's what I theorize: Nintendo had plans to showcase Metroid Prime 4 during the Game Awards last month with Metroid Prime Trilogy (think Bayo from the year prior), but when Nintendo came to the developers for an update on development progress, they were not happy with the current state (this could've happened maybe October or so), Retro pitched their idea in the meantime, and Nintendo then made the executive decision to restart development in the process.

I do, however, feel that Metroid Prime Trilogy is still very much still happening, but the news of MP4 has delayed that. I predict by the end of this fiscal year we will have confirmation of MPT's existence from Nintendo, but may not be launched by that point.

I'm both glad, and sad that MP4 had this happen, but if it means it'll be on the caliber of the first Metroid Prime, then I'm all for it.
I'm all for the delay. If Nintendo saw what the product was currently and they knew they couldn't release a finished product of it, then I trust their judgment completely.

As for MPT, I forking can't wait for that to be released!!!!! That's like over 100 hours of Metroid goodness on the switch, and I want that now.

It's a weird feeling, knowing I'm picking up Kingdom Hearts 3 tomorrow. I believe I got into 1 and 2 in 2007 so I've been waiting for the "next game" since then. I fell out with the series when I learned that the new games were on PSP, DS and Mobile phones in Japan. Having neither of those systems or the proper citizenship identifications, I just stopped paying attention.. By the time 3D came out on 3DS I was curious to pick that one up for old times sake but I heard the story at this point was fucker'd and 3D made it worse, so I passed at the time.

A few years ago I was in the mood to replay 1 and 2. I still thoroughly enjoyed 1. After some time when I booted up 2 I decided to pick up the HD bundle of 2 and Birth By Sleep on PS3, and that's when I started to seriously (well, as serious as one can be with this story because let's be real here). I eventually picked up both bundles on PS4 and yeah, I legit do like most of the games. The card-based game was a slog, and playing Nintendogs with your monsters in 3D got old super fast, but damn it I just want to hit things with a stick and bro-fist my boy Aladdin.

So while I haven't technically spent the last 11-ish years waiting for 3, this feels like a big deal. I never forgot my time with 1 and 2 in high school (and you too FFX). Those three games just came into my life at the proper time when I was looking for something different, something with the anime cranked up to 11 apparently. I can't help but feel I'll be a touch sad when I see the credits roll. It's nice to finally play it but jeez, gonna be weird. All we need now is Half Life 3.

side note: The last few years have been crazy with long awaited games releasing or being announced: Shenmue 3, RE2 Remake, Last Guardian, FFXV, FFVII Remake, and now KH 3.

In preparation for Square Enix's mind trip I watched the movies that the new worlds are based on. This meant watching a lot of newer Disney movies I missed out on. I watched Tangled quite awhile ago and was very impressed, I loved it. I re-watched Monsters Inc and Toy Story 1 & 2. I finally watched Toy Story 3 not too long ago and wow, what a trilogy. Top marks. Big Hero 6 was another good surprise but I'm so over the endless super hero movies I admit I was a little bias going into it. I watched Frozen the other day and it was okay, don't really understand how it's the highest grossing animated movie ever but what do I know. Finally I just finished re-watching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy (not gonna bother with 4 and 5 - maybe one day). I legit like Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest; At World's End is okay.

So yeah, it's nice to actually be excited for a new video game every once in awhile. I also really want Resident Evil 2 but it's gonna wait sadly.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It's a weird feeling, knowing I'm picking up Kingdom Hearts 3 tomorrow. I believe I got into 1 and 2 in 2007 so I've been waiting for the "next game" since then. I fell out with the series when I learned that the new games were on PSP, DS and Mobile phones in Japan. Having neither of those systems or the proper citizenship identifications, I just stopped paying attention.. By the time 3D came out on 3DS I was curious to pick that one up for old times sake but I heard the story at this point was fucker'd and 3D made it worse, so I passed at the time.

A few years ago I was in the mood to replay 1 and 2. I still thoroughly enjoyed 1. After some time when I booted up 2 I decided to pick up the HD bundle of 2 and Birth By Sleep on PS3, and that's when I started to seriously (well, as serious as one can be with this story because let's be real here). I eventually picked up both bundles on PS4 and yeah, I legit do like most of the games. The card-based game was a slog, and playing Nintendogs with your monsters in 3D got old super fast, but damn it I just want to hit things with a stick and bro-fist my boy Aladdin.

So while I haven't technically spent the last 11-ish years waiting for 3, this feels like a big deal. I never forgot my time with 1 and 2 in high school (and you too FFX). Those three games just came into my life at the proper time when I was looking for something different, something with the anime cranked up to 11 apparently. I can't help but feel I'll be a touch sad when I see the credits roll. It's nice to finally play it but jeez, gonna be weird. All we need now is Half Life 3.

side note: The last few years have been crazy with long awaited games releasing or being announced: Shenmue 3, RE2 Remake, Last Guardian, FFXV, FFVII Remake, and now KH 3.

In preparation for Square Enix's mind trip I watched the movies that the new worlds are based on. This meant watching a lot of newer Disney movies I missed out on. I watched Tangled quite awhile ago and was very impressed, I loved it. I re-watched Monsters Inc and Toy Story 1 & 2. I finally watched Toy Story 3 not too long ago and wow, what a trilogy. Top marks. Big Hero 6 was another good surprise but I'm so over the endless super hero movies I admit I was a little bias going into it. I watched Frozen the other day and it was okay, don't really understand how it's the highest grossing animated movie ever but what do I know. Finally I just finished re-watching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy (not gonna bother with 4 and 5 - maybe one day). I legit like Curse of the Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest; At World's End is okay.

So yeah, it's nice to actually be excited for a new video game every once in awhile. I also really want Resident Evil 2 but it's gonna wait sadly.
I have a first cousin who reminded me the other day this was coming out. Anytime I hear the name kingdom hearts I only think of you and him. Your both huge fans

EvilTw1n

What makes me question the GameInformer dude's info is...it sounds like Ubisoft development structure, not Nintendo.
https://wccftech.com/metroid-prime-4-development-issues/

I mean, Nintendo has basically looked at Metroid and, when they aren't saying "that's still a franchise we do?", they've said "sure, why the fuck not?" for awhile now, but still. That seems like a pretty un-Nintendo way of making a game.
If Retro was the right developer for MP4, why not give it to them in the first place?
The answer should be "because they were working on something else that should be releasing on Switch imminently."

...but...I'm not very confident in that. Which means...Retro has been doing a whole lot of...well, not nothing, but possibly helping out with other projects instead of doing their own. But that also means...
As for the delay (which inevitably must be a rather lengthy one), I'm not bothered. I'd rather wait an extra 2 years to play the best possible version of Prime 4, than play an OK one in 2019.
...well, they haven't, y'know, made a big, ambitious, 3D game in the HD console era. And it's 20-frickin'-19. If they're just starting now? On a big, first-party game? Without pretty much all of their old leadership team? With art assets for a grand total of, probably...a minute's worth of trailer footage? Yeah, we won't be waiting 2 years. We might be waiting 3-4.

And that's only if Nintendo doesn't look at the work Retro does, deems it as unsatisfactory as the prior team's Prime 4 work, and shit-cans the whole thing.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I'm glad that we're - at last - going to put this all to bed. For years, everyone has wondered what sort of developer Retro is now, and what they're capable of. We'll know, one way or the other.
Pretty dang good super bowl but I love a good defensive game
People that thought this year's SB was boring must've forgotten the old ones. Like that 55-10 Niners beat down, or Dallas pantsing Buffalo in back-to-back years, or when Manning and the Broncos shit the bed a few years ago against Seattle.

This was a little bit of a frustrating game to watch, because the offenses just couldn't figure anything out. But it was tense, and close the whole time, and the defenses played lights out. That's a pretty good game, all things considered.

...I mean, not as good as last year, of course, when my 'Iggles gave us a reprieve from the Evil Empire, but still.

Last edited: