The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So, I'm getting super hyped for Super Mario Maker 2. I know it's over a month a way, but I can't wait to try making new levels. I may also go back in and attempt to recreate some of my favorite levels I made from the first game, just with updates.

The Mario Maker Bookmark site is still up, and I was checking it out looking at my stats, looking at my old levels. Then I fell into a YouTube hole of watching fun and creative levels.

And now I find out there is a Mario Maker 2 direct today? woo hoo!

The Castlevania Collection dropped today so I picked it up. Mostly for Bloodlines since this is the first time it ever got re-released. I sunk most of my game time this evening playing that one, but I also did a few levels in 4, a couple of seconds of Adventure just to confirm it still ran at a dogshit frame rate, and a few minutes into Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy 2) and was surprised, it felt better and had some baller music.

That said, jeez I don't remember these games being this frustrating. I know the NES games were essentially salt in a cartridge but Bloodlines and 4? Basically, I do not miss this kind of bullshit knock-back. Seems like no matter what you gravitate towards a bottomless pit. The Italy level in Bloodlines has tiny pits in one section, but getting knocked into them if you get hit is close to 100%, for me anyways.

I always loved 4 but I swear the amount of times a whip attack goes limp is insane. If you attack and fuck about with the D-pad you can swing it all around, but it seems like a good percentage of them just doesn't finish first, thus making a lot of my attacks weak or miss, which also can cause me getting hit into a pit.

I'll continue playing around with the collection, but it this nonsense keeps being an issue than consider me #teamMetroidvania (which I always kinda was cause let's be real here for sec)

Word up college grad! Bout to get married man! WASSSSSS UPPPPPPP JACES!!!!!

Thank you, thank you :mlove::mlove:. Yeah a lot of new things going on with me, but I just miss my OG pals and I'm so glad to be on these forums again. :mpray::mcry:

Everything is going well! And it's going better now that I'm saying your name again. How are you?!

sjmartin79

The Castlevania Collection dropped today so I picked it up. Mostly for Bloodlines since this is the first time it ever got re-released. I sunk most of my game time this evening playing that one, but I also did a few levels in 4, a couple of seconds of Adventure just to confirm it still ran at a dogshit frame rate, and a few minutes into Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy 2) and was surprised, it felt better and had some baller music.

That said, jeez I don't remember these games being this frustrating. I know the NES games were essentially salt in a cartridge but Bloodlines and 4? Basically, I do not miss this kind of bullshit knock-back. Seems like no matter what you gravitate towards a bottomless pit. The Italy level in Bloodlines has tiny pits in one section, but getting knocked into them if you get hit is close to 100%, for me anyways.

I always loved 4 but I swear the amount of times a whip attack goes limp is insane. If you attack and fuck about with the D-pad you can swing it all around, but it seems like a good percentage of them just doesn't finish first, thus making a lot of my attacks weak or miss, which also can cause me getting hit into a pit.

I'll continue playing around with the collection, but it this nonsense keeps being an issue than consider me #teamMetroidvania (which I always kinda was cause let's be real here for sec)

Well that answers my question as to whether I should shell out the money to get it or not. Thank you for the early review!

Well that answers my question as to whether I should shell out the money to get it or not. Thank you for the early review!
I looked up the 4 Whip thing and yeah, turns out I'm just a dumb dumb who shouldn't play games when they're tired. If you just tap the attack button instead of holding it like I tend to do, then it works. So scratch that complaint.

Bloodlines does have two characters, and when I started over with the second character I did much better. Bosses tend to be "figure out the pattern", so they too were better on the second run.

Still, there are moments of knock back of course. I like the games but they can be needlessly hard at points, signs of their time I guess.

I do plan on playing more, so I can keep you updated if you want.

sjmartin79

I looked up the 4 Whip thing and yeah, turns out I'm just a dumb dumb who shouldn't play games when they're tired. If you just tap the attack button instead of holding it like I tend to do, then it works. So scratch that complaint.

Bloodlines does have two characters, and when I started over with the second character I did much better. Bosses tend to be "figure out the pattern", so they too were better on the second run.

Still, there are moments of knock back of course. I like the games but they can be needlessly hard at points, signs of their time I guess.

I do plan on playing more, so I can keep you updated if you want.
Please do. I played Castlevania 1-4 as they came out (yes, I'm that old), and played both of the ones for GameBoy, so the nostalgia with that series is huge for me.

I hope with your degree you make enough money to build 2 of them!
Even if it is a pipe dream, I have actually put way more thought than I should have at this point into the design of a house. Building my own house (Or rather designing one and having it built) has been a goal I have had as long as I can remember. Aside from region (which is likely to vary depending on where my career ends up and who and when I decide to settle down) I have definitely taken interest in "Earth-ship" and Japanese Castle type designs, albeit with more European architecture in its design.

F'it, since I am on the topic ill share some more info on the designs I mentioned:

"Earthships"

Earthships are essentially self-contained houses with aspects of power, plumbing, and heat management are built into the the design of the house itself rather than being offset to an external grid or heating unit. Solar panels and a battery bank of the most common form of power generation, while plumbing and water management are usually bound to a rain runoff system, purification, and septic tank (or even pond). More important to me, is the focus on the design and orientation of the house itself; as a portion of the house is always facing the South (at least here in the US) and is covered with windows to gather as much heat as possible; on the inside is usually a garden of some sort connected to the rest of the house, while above it is a vent or tunnel for hot air to rise. Meanwhile at the back of the house, part of it is also submerged underground, with a series of pipe vents run underneath. When open, it creates the a natural breeze through the house, forcing cold air from the back and up through the chimney area. (Although, I may just settle for Geothermal cooling instead)

Japanese castle:

Japanese castles differ heavily from their European counterparts, in that they are essentially split into two parts; the massive stone foundation and the lacquered wood tower. The foundations of these castles is usually sloped like a pyramid, giving it greater stability. Original castles even had the stones cut in place, requiring no adhesive to hold them together and in some cases boast greater strength than modern concrete. The wooden portion of the castle was lacquered, improving its longevity and often making is *somewhat* fire retardant. More interestingly to me, is the tower design, which I feel could naturally pair with the "chimney" portion of the earthships I mentioned before. Meanwhile, I am more interested in the European castle designs in the form of their walls and "donjon" (tall/side towers, not to be confused with the "dungeon", although it shares the same root word as the tower was actually used as a prison originally). In regards to the walls, I am mostly interested in them for their walkways, as it adds more functionality to the wall while still retaining its visual barrier.

I really do have better things to do with my time, but i could not help myself.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This whole time I thought it was CostELLo, like Elvis Costello or Abbott and Costello. Now I find out it's COSTello. I'm sitting here like, "does he know he's pronouncing his own name wrong?!"
Like I told @Shoulder that’s the way everyone around here has always said our name, so to us that’s what it is. We are aware how the rest of the world says it tho.

sjmartin79

Last night, I downloaded RE4 for the Switch. Didn't get a lot of time with it, but wow, it is just as fun as I remembered. Depending on how much time I have to play it over the next month, this will most likely take me through till Mario Maker 2.

I did manage to finish the story mode on Splatoon 2 finally (and got each of the hidden collectibles from each level). I'm so glad I went back to play that game again. I even got to do a Spatfest this weekend. Team Teleportation won!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Last night, I downloaded RE4 for the Switch. Didn't get a lot of time with it, but wow, it is just as fun as I remembered. Depending on how much time I have to play it over the next month, this will most likely take me through till Mario Maker 2.

I did manage to finish the story mode on Splatoon 2 finally (and got each of the hidden collectibles from each level). I'm so glad I went back to play that game again. I even got to do a Spatfest this weekend. Team Teleportation won!
In splatooner2 I haven’t missed on a splatfest. Even Marina did me well this last go round @FriedShoes

Well, after 6 years with the ol' Ford Focus I had, it was time to put it to bed. The thing was appraised at $500 and the repairs needed vastly outweighed it (no idea really but I guess with parts and labor, around $1500).

So I bought a new car. This was the first time I bought one from a dealer and boy was I a ball of anxiety all week. Still, I left the place with a new 2019 Corolla. After years with a car that squeaked and clunked and needed repairs, driving this one is a thing of beauty. I got it on a 7 year plan, but I did some financing based on my salary/budget/etc and if everything goes well I should be able to pay it off in 5 or 6 years while also building up my savings account as well.

I'm not trying to brag or anything but I'm hoping now 2019 can calm its tits and be easier to deal with.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Well, after 6 years with the ol' Ford Focus I had, it was time to put it to bed. The thing was appraised at $500 and the repairs needed vastly outweighed it (no idea really but I guess with parts and labor, around $1500).

So I bought a new car. This was the first time I bought one from a dealer and boy was I a ball of anxiety all week. Still, I left the place with a new 2019 Corolla. After years with a car that squeaked and clunked and needed repairs, driving this one is a thing of beauty. I got it on a 7 year plan, but I did some financing based on my salary/budget/etc and if everything goes well I should be able to pay it off in 5 or 6 years while also building up my savings account as well.

I'm not trying to brag or anything but I'm hoping now 2019 can calm its tits and be easier to deal with.
Good for you CoV. A dependable car is a very nice peace of mind

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
SUMMER IS HERE! Thank goodness! The last week of teaching/discipline coordination was like herding cats on fire with snowcones and a bouncy house!

GO ON GIT!

Speaking of cats...I ordered an El Gato and had to run to meet the UPS guy with lightning strikes popping everywhere during a random flash flood that made a waterfall show up on the side of my house because...that makes sense...

I wish my doorbell camera actually caught the exchange when the lightning was bad, it would have been a good video for a death metal version of Singing in the Rain...

I had purchased it to start streaming games as a way to help bring some more people into the podcast and it's worked a bit. That being said, I didn't realize how fun it was to stream. Not a lot of people have watched it but playing games with friends has always been entertaining and adding that next little step to also attempt to explain/entertain others makes it an event. Our first stream was Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime which was a good ol' time.

We will get better with audio but enjoy my lovely voice overs and spasmodic tap dancing bunny saving escapades IN SPACE!

I'm looking forward to this summer because I get to teach myself a lot of tricks for video editing and really getting our sound/ideas together online. I'll be out of town this upcoming week for a curriculum writing job but will be working on some ideas on the road.

Oh, and by the way. We'll be streaming GW Game Nights once I get back! The first one will be June 11th and will be Smash Bros. So get ready! We gonna fight!

Koenig

The Architect
I would like to apologize for being absent lately. Life has gotten busy for me, and I am shamed to say I seldom turn a thought to you guys in the excitement anymore. You guys mean a lot to me, I feel bad not socializing with you guys (Granted, the reduced state of activity here does not help).

I am still around, but it may take a ping on discord to get my attention!

sjmartin79

Tomorrow is e3, and I just realized, we didn't have an e3 speculation thread this year. Our guesses as to what wild/crazy things might surprise us this year, besides seeing the things that are definitely happening.

Things I'm Sure We'll See and Am Excited For:
1) Luigi's Mansion 3
2) Animal Crossing Switch
3) Link's Awakening
4) Astral Chain - can't wait to see more of what this is about

Things I'm Hoping To See:
1) Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

Wild Speculation Games:
1) F-Zero for Switch
2) Mario & Rabids 2

Things I Want But Don't Expect:
1) Mario Collection including 64/Sunshine
2) Zelda Collection of upgraded handheld games - either the Oracle games or the DS games

Things I Don't Care to See:
1) Switch Lite/Mini
2) Daemon X Machina - in it's current form, the trial version did nothing for me

What are some things you'd like to see/not see?

E3 is falling into bad habits.

Talking with Jueg made me remember that either last year or the year prior there seemed to be more gameplay reveals compared to before. Now it seems like there is nothing but CG trailers.

Ghostwire? Sign me up. Love Mikami and The Evil Within, but no gameplay.
Deathloop? Really enjoyed the Dishonored games so I'm interested, but again, no gameplay.

Even Gears 5 which comes out in September showed nothing. I never played Gears but I thought that was weird.

Also, Feb-March 2020 is gonna be PACKED. A lot of the games with release dates I can wait on or am not interested, but jeez, any holiday games besides Doom Eternal? There is the argument that all you need in life is more DOOM though.

Very interested in seeing what Nintendo is gonna show this year. Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3 are my more anticipated Switch games but would also like a complete surprise out of left field.

So yeah, quite a few games to keep my eye on, but not a lot of footage to get me excited enough.

E3 is falling into bad habits.

Talking with Jueg made me remember that either last year or the year prior there seemed to be more gameplay reveals compared to before. Now it seems like there is nothing but CG trailers.
Totally agree with you here. The CG looks cool and all but it's hard to get excited when I haven't seen the actual game.

Glad Square Enix seemed to focus a bit more on game play and very interested in Nintendo's direct.

I know my interest level for the exclusives is high as usual so I'm honestly most stoked to see the growing 3rd party adoption rate on the switch. Still getting year old releases, but with how out of the gaming loop I've been I haven't played many of these third party games even on PC. My biggest issue so far has been how third parties price their ports. Can't be charging full price if you're not bringing anything necessarily new to the table. I understand that the developers need to get paid for even getting these games to run on switch, but consumers are still feeling snubbed.

sjmartin79

On the whole, it seems like Nintendo wanted to cater to me for their e3 Direct!

New Legend Breath of the Wild in development!
Link's Awakening looked amazing! (First step toward LoZ Dungeon Maker)
Luigi's Mansion 3 was beautiful and looks like so much fun!
No More Heroes 3! (Would love a 1/2 combo before its release)
Mana Collection and Trials of Mana!
Witcher 3 and RE 5 & 6! (Haven't played any of them, but I watched Steve 2 play part of Witcher 3)
Also interested to see what the X-Men expansion pass for Marvel Ultimate Alliance looks like.

And if you looked at the release dates, it seems like September will be flooded with games.

I didn't get my Metroid Prime Trilogy announcement, but there was a lot of good stuff yesterday that will keep me busy for awhile.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I think all in all that was a very solid e3 by Nintendo.
On the whole, it seems like Nintendo wanted to cater to me for their e3 Direct!

New Legend Breath of the Wild in development!
Link's Awakening looked amazing! (First step toward LoZ Dungeon Maker)
Luigi's Mansion 3 was beautiful and looks like so much fun!
No More Heroes 3! (Would love a 1/2 combo before its release)
Mana Collection and Trials of Mana!
Witcher 3 and RE 5 & 6! (Haven't played any of them, but I watched Steve 2 play part of Witcher 3)
Also interested to see what the X-Men expansion pass for Marvel Ultimate Alliance looks like.

And if you looked at the release dates, it seems like September will be flooded with games.

I didn't get my Metroid Prime Trilogy announcement, but there was a lot of good stuff yesterday that will keep me busy for awhile.
This was one of those sneaky-good E3 presentations. A BotW sequel is huge news, of course, but a cinematic teaser isn't our usual megaton.

What we ended up getting was a sort of low-key stream of quality. Link's Awakening looks great, Daemon x Machina looks smoother than its demo, and Astral Chain looks good (albeit less good than I hoped). Luigi's Mansion looks cool, and we got confirmation that Mario Maker 2 will get fixed so we can all co-op. Resident Evil 5/6 and Witcher 3 are nice for a rainy day. Fire Emblem is your big RPG, DOOM Eternal is your big shooter, and Alien Isolation is your big pants browning agent. If you're a Pokemon person, you've already been covered.

And you get NMH3, Animal Crossing, and BotW 2 to look forward to (in addition to the knowledge that Bayo 3 and Prime 4 are in the works). Nintendo ended up killing it this year, and they barely broke a sweat. They're set up to blow the roof off next year.

...when am I gonna find time to play all of this? I haven't even gotten around to buying FF XII yet. Silksong is a must-have. Too. Many. Games.

Oh, and a 40 minute video once again showed why stage presentations probably need to die. The pacing was brisk and it never felt like a slog. 90 minutes of someone painfully reading a stilted script on a stage is as boring as it sounds.

If anyone buys/plays Cadence of Hyrule, please let me know what you think.
I usually love all things Zelda, but I just don't get/understand this one.
I haven't got Cadence yet but I do enjoy Crypt of the Necrodancer.

It essentially turns a top down action game into a rhythm game. Each level has a song with it's own beat and you can perform actions on that beat. Move, attack, use items, etc all happen on one beat. The challenge comes from the enemies who all have their own unique pattern. Blue slime monsters follow the pattern of "standing still - jump to a square - standing still - etc". So if you want to attack them, you can't end up in the square it's going to. Another example is skeletons, they'll follow you but can only move every two beats, and once they're about to jump, they'll lift their arms in the air (like they just don't care).

Different items do different things. Normally you can only attack enemies by bumping into them with your dagger, but a whip or broadsword can attack in a 3 square area. You can also get items and spells like bombs or a freezing spell. Depending on your controls it can either be press up and right to use a bomb, but for normal controllers and not a keyboard, you can use face buttons or shoulder buttons.

It's one of those games where watching it is easier than reading about it. I heard Cadence is easier and uses an overworld and warp points like a Zelda game, so to my understanding it just takes the mechanics of Crypt but uses the structure of Zelda.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
They should change the name of E3 to simply CG in reference to all their trailers. This isn't a teaser for the next Star Wars movie. This is supposed to be a trailer for a video game that I will interact with, and play. Fuck the companies who stoop to using CG trailers, and no gameplay. If you have no gameplay, then don't show anything. You can talk about the game, but don't show a CG trailer. I want gameplay, damn it!

sjmartin79

It's almost time for Super Mario Maker 2!!!
I can't wait!
This will be a busy weekend for me, but I want to get some time in to play some of the story mode as well as to make a level. If it goes the same as the first Mario Maker, it usually takes me between 4-8 hours to make a level, then quality control testing by me and Steve2 (want a second set of eyes before I upload it. He's always good about trying to "break" the level where in my head there is only one way to play the levels I design.).