The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So, I'm getting super hyped for Super Mario Maker 2. I know it's over a month a way, but I can't wait to try making new levels. I may also go back in and attempt to recreate some of my favorite levels I made from the first game, just with updates.

The Mario Maker Bookmark site is still up, and I was checking it out looking at my stats, looking at my old levels. Then I fell into a YouTube hole of watching fun and creative levels.

And now I find out there is a Mario Maker 2 direct today? woo hoo!

The Castlevania Collection dropped today so I picked it up. Mostly for Bloodlines since this is the first time it ever got re-released. I sunk most of my game time this evening playing that one, but I also did a few levels in 4, a couple of seconds of Adventure just to confirm it still ran at a dogshit frame rate, and a few minutes into Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy 2) and was surprised, it felt better and had some baller music.

That said, jeez I don't remember these games being this frustrating. I know the NES games were essentially salt in a cartridge but Bloodlines and 4? Basically, I do not miss this kind of bullshit knock-back. Seems like no matter what you gravitate towards a bottomless pit. The Italy level in Bloodlines has tiny pits in one section, but getting knocked into them if you get hit is close to 100%, for me anyways.

I always loved 4 but I swear the amount of times a whip attack goes limp is insane. If you attack and fuck about with the D-pad you can swing it all around, but it seems like a good percentage of them just doesn't finish first, thus making a lot of my attacks weak or miss, which also can cause me getting hit into a pit.

I'll continue playing around with the collection, but it this nonsense keeps being an issue than consider me #teamMetroidvania (which I always kinda was cause let's be real here for sec)

Word up college grad! Bout to get married man! WASSSSSS UPPPPPPP JACES!!!!!

Thank you, thank you :mlove::mlove:. Yeah a lot of new things going on with me, but I just miss my OG pals and I'm so glad to be on these forums again. :mpray::mcry:

Everything is going well! And it's going better now that I'm saying your name again. How are you?!

sjmartin79

The Castlevania Collection dropped today so I picked it up. Mostly for Bloodlines since this is the first time it ever got re-released. I sunk most of my game time this evening playing that one, but I also did a few levels in 4, a couple of seconds of Adventure just to confirm it still ran at a dogshit frame rate, and a few minutes into Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy 2) and was surprised, it felt better and had some baller music.

That said, jeez I don't remember these games being this frustrating. I know the NES games were essentially salt in a cartridge but Bloodlines and 4? Basically, I do not miss this kind of bullshit knock-back. Seems like no matter what you gravitate towards a bottomless pit. The Italy level in Bloodlines has tiny pits in one section, but getting knocked into them if you get hit is close to 100%, for me anyways.

I always loved 4 but I swear the amount of times a whip attack goes limp is insane. If you attack and fuck about with the D-pad you can swing it all around, but it seems like a good percentage of them just doesn't finish first, thus making a lot of my attacks weak or miss, which also can cause me getting hit into a pit.

I'll continue playing around with the collection, but it this nonsense keeps being an issue than consider me #teamMetroidvania (which I always kinda was cause let's be real here for sec)

Well that answers my question as to whether I should shell out the money to get it or not. Thank you for the early review!

Well that answers my question as to whether I should shell out the money to get it or not. Thank you for the early review!
I looked up the 4 Whip thing and yeah, turns out I'm just a dumb dumb who shouldn't play games when they're tired. If you just tap the attack button instead of holding it like I tend to do, then it works. So scratch that complaint.

Bloodlines does have two characters, and when I started over with the second character I did much better. Bosses tend to be "figure out the pattern", so they too were better on the second run.

Still, there are moments of knock back of course. I like the games but they can be needlessly hard at points, signs of their time I guess.

I do plan on playing more, so I can keep you updated if you want.

sjmartin79

I looked up the 4 Whip thing and yeah, turns out I'm just a dumb dumb who shouldn't play games when they're tired. If you just tap the attack button instead of holding it like I tend to do, then it works. So scratch that complaint.

Bloodlines does have two characters, and when I started over with the second character I did much better. Bosses tend to be "figure out the pattern", so they too were better on the second run.

Still, there are moments of knock back of course. I like the games but they can be needlessly hard at points, signs of their time I guess.

I do plan on playing more, so I can keep you updated if you want.
Please do. I played Castlevania 1-4 as they came out (yes, I'm that old), and played both of the ones for GameBoy, so the nostalgia with that series is huge for me.

I hope with your degree you make enough money to build 2 of them!
Even if it is a pipe dream, I have actually put way more thought than I should have at this point into the design of a house. Building my own house (Or rather designing one and having it built) has been a goal I have had as long as I can remember. Aside from region (which is likely to vary depending on where my career ends up and who and when I decide to settle down) I have definitely taken interest in "Earth-ship" and Japanese Castle type designs, albeit with more European architecture in its design.

F'it, since I am on the topic ill share some more info on the designs I mentioned:

"Earthships"

Earthships are essentially self-contained houses with aspects of power, plumbing, and heat management are built into the the design of the house itself rather than being offset to an external grid or heating unit. Solar panels and a battery bank of the most common form of power generation, while plumbing and water management are usually bound to a rain runoff system, purification, and septic tank (or even pond). More important to me, is the focus on the design and orientation of the house itself; as a portion of the house is always facing the South (at least here in the US) and is covered with windows to gather as much heat as possible; on the inside is usually a garden of some sort connected to the rest of the house, while above it is a vent or tunnel for hot air to rise. Meanwhile at the back of the house, part of it is also submerged underground, with a series of pipe vents run underneath. When open, it creates the a natural breeze through the house, forcing cold air from the back and up through the chimney area. (Although, I may just settle for Geothermal cooling instead)

Japanese castle:

Japanese castles differ heavily from their European counterparts, in that they are essentially split into two parts; the massive stone foundation and the lacquered wood tower. The foundations of these castles is usually sloped like a pyramid, giving it greater stability. Original castles even had the stones cut in place, requiring no adhesive to hold them together and in some cases boast greater strength than modern concrete. The wooden portion of the castle was lacquered, improving its longevity and often making is *somewhat* fire retardant. More interestingly to me, is the tower design, which I feel could naturally pair with the "chimney" portion of the earthships I mentioned before. Meanwhile, I am more interested in the European castle designs in the form of their walls and "donjon" (tall/side towers, not to be confused with the "dungeon", although it shares the same root word as the tower was actually used as a prison originally). In regards to the walls, I am mostly interested in them for their walkways, as it adds more functionality to the wall while still retaining its visual barrier.

I really do have better things to do with my time, but i could not help myself.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This whole time I thought it was CostELLo, like Elvis Costello or Abbott and Costello. Now I find out it's COSTello. I'm sitting here like, "does he know he's pronouncing his own name wrong?!"
Like I told @Shoulder that’s the way everyone around here has always said our name, so to us that’s what it is. We are aware how the rest of the world says it tho.

sjmartin79

Last night, I downloaded RE4 for the Switch. Didn't get a lot of time with it, but wow, it is just as fun as I remembered. Depending on how much time I have to play it over the next month, this will most likely take me through till Mario Maker 2.

I did manage to finish the story mode on Splatoon 2 finally (and got each of the hidden collectibles from each level). I'm so glad I went back to play that game again. I even got to do a Spatfest this weekend. Team Teleportation won!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Last night, I downloaded RE4 for the Switch. Didn't get a lot of time with it, but wow, it is just as fun as I remembered. Depending on how much time I have to play it over the next month, this will most likely take me through till Mario Maker 2.

I did manage to finish the story mode on Splatoon 2 finally (and got each of the hidden collectibles from each level). I'm so glad I went back to play that game again. I even got to do a Spatfest this weekend. Team Teleportation won!
In splatooner2 I haven’t missed on a splatfest. Even Marina did me well this last go round @FriedShoes