The Great CT - Community Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It's almost time for Super Mario Maker 2!!!
I can't wait!
This will be a busy weekend for me, but I want to get some time in to play some of the story mode as well as to make a level. If it goes the same as the first Mario Maker, it usually takes me between 4-8 hours to make a level, then quality control testing by me and Steve2 (want a second set of eyes before I upload it. He's always good about trying to "break" the level where in my head there is only one way to play the levels I design.).
My oldest is way fired up about this

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
My daughter is well keen on SMM2, even though we never played the first one. I guess I'll have to buy it sooner or later, for her. Then I'll get somewhat addicted to it myself, no doubt. Exactly what happened with Minecraft.
Personally it is not my game at all. But the addiction is real some how or another for my boys.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Personally it is not my game at all. But the addiction is real some how or another for my boys.
For me, the first one was definitely an addiction. I would keep a list of level ideas, then start plotting them out, then I'd work on them. For me, the creating aspect was the biggest draw.
I know for others, they loved playing all the levels that were created.
I honestly don't remember what it was that finally pulled me out of the addiction. I don't know if I ran out of ideas or if another game came along that took my attention away.
One thing I'm glad about this time is that all of the creation tools will be available from the beginning.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
God, like, I'm wanting to wait on SMM2 but the more I see of it the more I need it now.

So if I end up adding it to my Games Completed list here in the next couple of weeks, ya'll know what happened to me.

sjmartin79

A day at the beach.

For real though, this summer sucks so far. Most weekends are raining and the temperature is staying in the 10s
Trade you. Since June, we have most days in the mid 90s (Fahrenheit), with heat index over 100, and we went for most of May with no rain. Thankfully we've had some rain recently, but it's been 5 days without rain now. (Florida in the summer with lack of rain is not a pleasant thing.)

The rest of summer video game wise is gonna be quite retro for me. I found a copy of Final Fantasy 1+2 Dawn of Souls for the GBA the other day. The Messenger just released it's free DLC campaign, Ion Fury (previously Ion Maiden) is launching in full in August, I still have to pick up Bloodstained, and Blazing Chrome just released.

Final Fantasy, not-Ninja Gaiden, not-Duke Nukem, not-Castlevania and not-Contra. Phew lads indeed.

Currently I'm playing Prey (not-System Shock) and I'm completely sold on it. I'm an idiot for sleeping on it so long considering I love System Shock and Arkane Studios, but so far it's a home run. Feels like it has been awhile since I'd be excited throughout the work day to come home and start playing a game again.

(Despite a lot of these games being similar or paying homage to other games, I mean it in good spirits about the whole "not" thing. This summer is gonna be, as the kids say, lit af)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The rest of summer video game wise is gonna be quite retro for me. I found a copy of Final Fantasy 1+2 Dawn of Souls for the GBA the other day. The Messenger just released it's free DLC campaign, Ion Fury (previously Ion Maiden) is launching in full in August, I still have to pick up Bloodstained, and Blazing Chrome just released.

Final Fantasy, not-Ninja Gaiden, not-Duke Nukem, not-Castlevania and not-Contra. Phew lads indeed.

Currently I'm playing Prey (not-System Shock) and I'm completely sold on it. I'm an idiot for sleeping on it so long considering I love System Shock and Arkane Studios, but so far it's a home run. Feels like it has been awhile since I'd be excited throughout the work day to come home and start playing a game again.

(Despite a lot of these games being similar or paying homage to other games, I mean it in good spirits about the whole "not" thing. This summer is gonna be, as the kids say, lit af)
I've had Dishonored 2 and Prey for a while now, and haven't played either yet. And I loved Dishonored 1. I don't know what I'm waiting for.

I've had Dishonored 2 and Prey for a while now, and haven't played either yet. And I loved Dishonored 1. I don't know what I'm waiting for.
I had a great time with Dishonored 2, probably around the same as 1. I'd have to play 2 again but I'd say they're on par with each other. I have yet to play Death of the Outside yet.

No idea why I wait so long to play Arkane games.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

sjmartin79

If I had younger kids that were gamers (maybe 12 or younger), I would get them a Switch Lite in a heartbeat. I truly think that's the demo they are going for most with this iteration.

I don't see me buying a new Switch until the Pro comes out, and I still think that is a possibility. I'd say that will be announced at e3 next year probably. And here's my huge guess as to what it will do: 1080p in handheld, higher in docked. Better battery. Larger internal memory to start.

Edit: though I do think I need new joycons. My right joycon has a drifting cursor. (I know, it's usually the left that is the problem.) I've found ways to temporarily fix the issue, but it gets annoying. May see if there are any sales during Prime Days.

sjmartin79

Wow, it has been way too long since there has been a message in this thread.

Recently, it was my mom's birthday, and Steve2 and I were in charge of the cakes. Neither of us had made a normal cake from scratch before, so we decided to take on the challenge. No mixes. Turns out it was a lot of fun. We turned one of the cakes into a Geode cake. If you've never seen one of those, google it. Steve2 was in charge of that one. Mom's favorite flavor is chocolate, so I was in charge of the chocolate cake, and the recipe I found called for "espresso powder". After checking multiple stores, I had to make that from scratch too. (Thankfully it was easier than I thought. It's really just roasting espresso beans in the oven then grinding it to a fine powder.) Really brings out the chocolate flavor. The cakes were a big hit.

Also, Steve2 and I were looking at new hobbies to do together, so we decided to start learning Spanish. I took years of Spanish in school, but it's been awhile since I've used it regularly. We're using the Duolingo app. It's pretty good, and it's free. Our goal when we're done (which will probably be at least a year) is to take a trip to Spain and be able to speak the language.

So, those are a few things I've been up to.

What about you guys?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Wow, it has been way too long since there has been a message in this thread.

Recently, it was my mom's birthday, and Steve2 and I were in charge of the cakes. Neither of us had made a normal cake from scratch before, so we decided to take on the challenge. No mixes. Turns out it was a lot of fun. We turned one of the cakes into a Geode cake. If you've never seen one of those, google it. Steve2 was in charge of that one. Mom's favorite flavor is chocolate, so I was in charge of the chocolate cake, and the recipe I found called for "espresso powder". After checking multiple stores, I had to make that from scratch too. (Thankfully it was easier than I thought. It's really just roasting espresso beans in the oven then grinding it to a fine powder.) Really brings out the chocolate flavor. The cakes were a big hit.

Also, Steve2 and I were looking at new hobbies to do together, so we decided to start learning Spanish. I took years of Spanish in school, but it's been awhile since I've used it regularly. We're using the Duolingo app. It's pretty good, and it's free. Our goal when we're done (which will probably be at least a year) is to take a trip to Spain and be able to speak the language.

So, those are a few things I've been up to.

What about you guys?
Right now I’m in South Carolina for the Global Leadership Summit! It has been amazing!

I want to bake a cake but I don't trust my oven enough, so I stick to trays of muffins or cookies, etc cause if I mess up one tray, oh well, I'll adjust and the next tray will be better. I gotta hard commit to a cake and my oven just ain't the committing type.

Last year I read around 30 books I believe, and sadly this year I ain't close to that. I stop reading for a few months, but this last month I managed to read the original Robin Hood, The 39 Steps and 007 Goldfinger. Robin Hood surprised me with how great it is, 39 steps was good but I just could not visualize most of the novel, and Goldfinger is one of the best 007 books so far (Moonraker being my favorite so far with From Russia With Love not far behind).

My original DS lately has been having issues with the L and R button so I took it apart and clean the contacts. So far so good, but the R button was wonky at first, so I may have to take it apart of redo it again in the future.

Next week I will also be learning if I'm going to move or not. I've been going to UPS for years now for work and the woman there and I know each now. She mentioned she was thinking of renting out her basement apartment and I told her I'm interested, but she took a 2 week vacation and is back Monday so I'll hopefully learn if I am or not, the not knowing is the worst.

sjmartin79

@mattavelle1 - Awesome! You'll have to tell us all about it!

I want to bake a cake but I don't trust my oven enough, so I stick to trays of muffins or cookies, etc cause if I mess up one tray, oh well, I'll adjust and the next tray will be better. I gotta hard commit to a cake and my oven just ain't the committing type.

Last year I read around 30 books I believe, and sadly this year I ain't close to that. I stop reading for a few months, but this last month I managed to read the original Robin Hood, The 39 Steps and 007 Goldfinger. Robin Hood surprised me with how great it is, 39 steps was good but I just could not visualize most of the novel, and Goldfinger is one of the best 007 books so far (Moonraker being my favorite so far with From Russia With Love not far behind).

My original DS lately has been having issues with the L and R button so I took it apart and clean the contacts. So far so good, but the R button was wonky at first, so I may have to take it apart of redo it again in the future.

Next week I will also be learning if I'm going to move or not. I've been going to UPS for years now for work and the woman there and I know each now. She mentioned she was thinking of renting out her basement apartment and I told her I'm interested, but she took a 2 week vacation and is back Monday so I'll hopefully learn if I am or not, the not knowing is the worst.
I usually read 1-2 books per month, but in 2018, I decided to do something different. I was a big X-Men comic reader growing up (late 80s through late 90s), then I dropped off in 99 when I was at college. I picked it up again in 2012 during Avengers vs X-Men. I've been reading it for the last 7 years. But there was over a decade of books I hadn't read. So we got a Marvel Unlimited Subscription $90 for a year of reading as many titles as I want. So I've been reading since Spring of 2018 all the X-books from 99 onward. Just this week, I got to the point where I picked up. It was a ton of fun filling in that 13 year gap of my X-knowledge. For any Marvel fans, I fully suggest Marvel Unlimited. I'm going to use it now to read other books I may not have before.

What types of cookies or muffins do you like to make? Do you have a recipe you really enjoy? Feel free to share. I'm always looking for new recipes.

I have a lot of respect for you repairing your DS. Both of my joycons have drift now, but I'm too scared to take them apart to try to fix it.

Good luck with your potential move!

sjmartin79

Steve2's birthday is next Monday, so I've been spending time trying to figure out what to get him. His favorite TV show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and his favorite character is Faith. When we were at Tampa Bay ComiCon recently, we saw a replica of the special blade Faith uses in the show. And it was going for lots of $$$. Steve was fascinated by it, but neither of us were going to spend that much money on a display item.

But I started doing research. I found that the blade was made by a knife artist named Gil Hibben and he had made the "Jackal" back in the early 2000s. Limited amount, which is why they were going for $$$ at conventions. I found another company online that was making replicas of it, but the quality wasn't as nice.

So then I went to eBay. Low and behold, there was one for auction. I sent a message to the seller asking if he'd just sell it, but I heard nothing back. So, for a week, I watched the auction. I put in an amount I felt comfortable spending (which was still within the limit that we set for each other for birthday presents). And by the time the auction was done, though others did come to bid on it, I won the Jackal, and at a fraction of what it was going for at ComiCon!

It arrives in the mail today. Now I just have to keep from giving it to him early in all my excitement.

sjmartin79

I'm not sure what the weather has been like this summer where you guys are, but we have been getting so much rain. Grass always grows fast down here, but this has been ridiculous. In Cincinnati, I could go about 3 weeks without mowing in the summer (I didn't use sprinklers.). Down here in Florida, after a week, it desperately needs mowed, but sometimes you have to wait longer because of all the rain and things are dry enough to cut. There are lawn care companies that will do it for me, but that's an expense I don't want to pay.

What TV shows are you guys watching now? (Streaming or on TV)
I'm fascinated by this show on Netflix called "Blown Away" which is like a Project Runway of Glass Blowing. It's truly amazing what these artists are able to do. The show has some issues with editing and pace, but watching them create and seeing the finished product more than makes up for the short comings.

(I'm trying to single-handily bring the CT back to life. I figure if I keep posting enough about random everyday things in my life, it will spark comment or someone else will be inspired to join in. I miss how active this used to be and hearing what you guys were up to.)

Ah I doubt I'll be moving. I asked her again and the way she said "I haven't made up my mind yet" pretty much seals that. I went there again this morning and it wasn't even brought up at all so I'm assuming that's that.

@sjmartin79

Cream together:
1 cup of butter/magarine
1 cup of sugar
Beat in 2 eggs (one at a time)
Stir in 2 teaspoons of vanilla
Dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 2 teaspoons of hot water, then add to mixture
Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Once that's all mixed together:
3 cups of flour
2 cups of chocolate chips
1 cup of chopped walnuts

I usually use Sea Salt Caramel or Butterscotch Caramel Chips instead of Chocolate Chips. I also sometimes don't add walnuts so that's optional.

Depends on the oven, but I use 275 degrees for around 8 minutes (I use the tooth pick trick to determine if they're good)

When I put the cookies on the tray I put a small amount but build it upwards into a cylinder. So they're bite size cookies but when they bake they'll bake a bit outwards and stay soft. I assume you can do a larger flatter cookie as well.

I also like baking muffins and pancakes, but where I live by myself I don't tend to bake too often, I've been eating more fruit lately than sugar, but I do cave sometimes.

I don't watch television much. Not sure why exactly. I can play a video game series so I don't know why I can't invest the time for television, but I'm not too worried about it. I guess I'd just rather play a game or read a book, then move on to the next thing. I'm debating on what next to read, I'm thinking Tender is the Night though. Also not sure what to play next, I'm leaning towards Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2. I don't know, kinda not feeling video games at the moment.

Lastly, I can't remember a time where my body has been more ready for a weekend. Tomorrow is 11 days in a row working, so I'm just ready to take a load off.

Hello. I have such a problem. The game has a reed code(Super Mario Odyssey). On the second console I normally downloaded it from the "redownload" account, now I have the next console and I wanted to do the same. I entered my account with the intention of redownload and there is no empty. I don't know about what's going on ... If anyone can help me, thank you very much. Regards :)

sjmartin79

@CitizenOfVerona - Thank you for the recipe! I can't wait to try it. I will definitely use the caramel chips as well.

I had to look up what "Tender is the Night" is. I don't think I've ever read anything by F. Scott except the Great Gatsby.
I know what you mean about not feeling video games. I was going through something similar back in June. Over the course of a week, I tried 4 different games, that I'm sure are all excellent, but I didn't "feel" a single one.

And yes, so glad it's the weekend! 11 days in a row is ridiculous. You deserve a break!

sjmartin79

Just saw where Famitisu gave Astral Chain 9/10/9/9!

Y’all know ya boy is a major fan of the platinum outlandishness!
Oooooh! That's exciting! I'm right there with you with over the top Platinum games. I keep saying "I can't wait to read the reviews", but I don't know who I'm kidding, I'm going to buy it.
(And keep hoping we get a Wonderful 101 port to the Switch.)

sjmartin79

This past weekend was Steve2's Birthday. So we had all the family over for a dinner on Saturday. Steve decided he wanted a Breakfast for Dinner Extravaganza! So I made it happen. It was over 3 hours of non-stop cooking, but I was really proud of the results.

As an appetizer, I made sausage balls, which are the right blend of carbs, cheese, and spice.
Then we had Breakfast Cupcakes (eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, cheese, onions) with a homemade Hollandaise icing on top. Hoe Cakes. Cinnamon roll french toast bake. Then lots of bacon, because everyone needs bacon.
We ate until we couldn't eat any more.

After, we played some Jackbox Party Pack on the Switch. My 70 year old parents enjoy that one. My Dad finds himself to be especially witty.

For his present, I did a deep dive into Buffy the Vampire Slayer lore. His favorite character is Faith, played by Eliza Dushku. In the 3rd season, she is gifted this knife called The Jackal. Steve loves it. Turns out, famous knife maker Jack Hibben did a small run of the Jackal in 1999. 2500 of them were made. They are now collectors items and very hard to find. After a ton of searching and sweet talking the right people, I was able to acquire one. The results:

He was quite happy.

sjmartin79

Happy Friday TNE!

It's finally stopped raining all day every day for the past few days. The Sunshine State actually has sunshine again. Which just means I have to mow my yard this weekend, probably tonight if we don't get a typical Sarasota evening rain.

We saw "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark", and if you were a fan of the books as a kid or enjoy the work of Guillermo del Toro, then make sure to check it out. It was a lot of fun. The creatures were amazing.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Happy Friday TNE!

It's finally stopped raining all day every day for the past few days. The Sunshine State actually has sunshine again. Which just means I have to mow my yard this weekend, probably tonight if we don't get a typical Sarasota evening rain.

We saw "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark", and if you were a fan of the books as a kid or enjoy the work of Guillermo del Toro, then make sure to check it out. It was a lot of fun. The creatures were amazing.
How far is Sarasota from Cocoa Beach Sjm?