The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Good vibes sent, amigo. They think the storm will turn north...but they don't know when. (And it's taking its time; I saw earlier today that it was only moving at 1 mph.)
As of right now, my area of FL on the Gulf Coast is out of the danger zone. Fingers crossed that continues.
I'm just shocked at the devastation this has caused in the Bahamas. Unreal.
And it was so close to tying for the strongest storm ever recorded.

sjmartin79

We get a 40 minute Nintendo Direct today!
Besides Link's Awakening, Luigi 3, and new Pokemon, what are you guys hoping to see?

As always, my answer will be "Metroid Prime Trilogy HD for Switch"
I would also like Wonderful 101 port, Super Mario 3D World port, Pikmin Trilogy HD for Switch (Yes, I know, a lot of ports)
In terms of new content, I would like to see an update to Super Mario Maker 2 and hopefully it's Super Mario 2 textures and enemies.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
We get a 40 minute Nintendo Direct today!
Besides Link's Awakening, Luigi 3, and new Pokemon, what are you guys hoping to see?

As always, my answer will be "Metroid Prime Trilogy HD for Switch"
I would also like Wonderful 101 port, Super Mario 3D World port, Pikmin Trilogy HD for Switch (Yes, I know, a lot of ports)
In terms of new content, I would like to see an update to Super Mario Maker 2 and hopefully it's Super Mario 2 textures and enemies.
The one thing I'm really hoping to see is MonolithSoft's new game, but it's probably more likely we'll see that in a January Direct. Other than that, it would be cool to finally see Bayo 3, SMT5, and maybe a little bit more of BotW2 (though that might be more of an E3 2020 blowout).

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
That Direct was a scene, man.

In the Wii U years, getting a port of the biggest FPS in gaming would have been a megaton.

In the Switch years, that announcement has trouble getting recognized between JRPG remasters.

(I called it on the TMS port. It made more and more sense as Switch became a bigger success. You don't put that much effort into an exclusive RPG to leave it as a Wii U-only game.)

leave it as a Wii U-only game.)
Pour one out for Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade X.

I'm not denying that was a packed Direct, but if I wasn't already interested in a Switch, I don't think that Direct would have done much to persuade me.

Personally, I'm already interested in Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3. That said, Xenoblade remaster is a very nice surprise. I always thought it was a shame to leave the three Rainfall games on Wii, those games can be beautiful if put on better hardware. Here's hoping for a Pandora's Tower remaster.

Doom 64 is great too. Weird how it's releasing on the same day as Eternal though.

sjmartin79

Steve2 is still hoping for a Xenoblade X port to the Switch. He saw how much fun I had with it and how much I loved it, but he never got to play it. He's excited for the TMS port.

I'll be getting the Witcher 3 port. So, I have several games for Fall to get: Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Witcher 3, Luigi's Mansion 3, and new Pokemon. That will keep me busy for a good long while.

EvilTw1n

Pour one out for Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade X.
I'm sure they'll get the obvious remaster treatment at some point. But Atlas has a habit of doing some sort of ultimate version of their games, so that's why I kinda expected TMS to get it, too.

(And if Atlus plays their cards right, this could be a series of its own, imo.)
I'm not denying that was a packed Direct, but if I wasn't already interested in a Switch, I don't think that Direct would have done much to persuade me.
Oh I agree there, but not every Direct can bring the megatons. I think part of the strategy with Directs is to keep people who already own a Switch engaged. There's a lot of content out there to grab our attention across the board, y'know? You gotta get people to buy your system, but you also gotta keep them playing.
Personally, I'm already interested in Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3. That said, Xenoblade remaster is a very nice surprise. I always thought it was a shame to leave the three Rainfall games on Wii, those games can be beautiful if put on better hardware. Here's hoping for a Pandora's Tower remaster.

Doom 64 is great too. Weird how it's releasing on the same day as Eternal though.
Pandora's Tower in HD would be sweet, but even with the Switch bringing out eclectic non-AAA releases, I don't think the audience is there for it. "Castlevania, but Shadow of the Colossus, but also Japanese dating sim" is a pretty narrow target.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Pandora's Tower in HD would be sweet, but even with the Switch bringing out eclectic non-AAA releases, I don't think the audience is there for it. "Castlevania, but Shadow of the Colossus, but also Japanese dating sim" is a pretty narrow target.
As much as I personally want to say that I believe in that audience, I think it's just far more likely for Ganbarion to port one of the 20 One Piece games they've released in the past 8 years. Those will print money, especially in Japan.

Then they can make a big-budget Pandora's Tower 2

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
We watched Saw last night. Not really a horror, but pretty gruesome so I'd say it fits. The Lady had never seen it before, so all the way through she was guessing who the jigsaw killer was. Needless to say, she didn't get anywhere near to the actual guy. Still a great twist, then.
The first Saw was the closest movie to Se7en as far as twist at the end of a movie that I had seen in a long time. The first Saw was a great movie for me

sjmartin79

We watched Saw last night. Not really a horror, but pretty gruesome so I'd say it fits. The Lady had never seen it before, so all the way through she was guessing who the jigsaw killer was. Needless to say, she didn't get anywhere near to the actual guy. Still a great twist, then.
Such a good movie! I definitely never saw that Twist coming.

We ended up watching "Ma", which was okay. Wait for it to come to streaming before watching it if you want to see it.

We watched "Aquaman" this weekend, and I was very impressed with this. They made Aquaman cool. I've not been a fan of the DC extended universe, but they did a great job with Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

sjmartin79

Any comics fans on the forums? Marvel fans specifically?

What Jonathan Hickman is doing right now in his re-shaping the X-Men is nothing short of extraordinary. His House of X and Powers of X series (1 issue each week, alternating) are weaving this amazing mystery all leading to a complete line-wide relaunch of the X-Men books. It has been fascinating, and we are only a few weeks away from all being revealed.

Any past X-Men fans that fell off, now is a great time to jump back on.

sjmartin79

My 40th birthday is quickly approaching... next Wednesday to be exact.
It's weird. I don't feel 40. I feel barely older than 30.
In my head, 40 feels very "adult", and I'm over here like "Got my video games, got my convertible, got my comic books", which doesn't sound very adult. lol
I guess I'm just seeing how I saw my parents when they were 40 and how they acted and behaved compared to me at 40. Maybe it's just a difference in the times. Maybe it's differences in technology and entertainment. Who knows.
I have no intention of changing things in my life. Still going to be playing video games. Still going to be reading my X-Men comics.
We'll see how I feel in 10 years at 50.

I use to read Marvel comics. I started off with collections like Birth of Venom or Deadpool Head Trip. When Marvel NOW launched years ago I figured it was a good time to jump into issues. Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is some of the best comics I ever read. The Deadpool run was good but later on became too entwined with the larger universe. One issue ended with a cliff-hanger of Deadpool facing off against Apocalypse, and the next one began with the fight done because that was in a big crossover issue. Every arc had this it felt like.

Tried getting into Guardian's of Galaxy, but same issue only worse. Volume 1 was great, Volume 2 felt like I was missing an issue between every official "Guardians" issue. So I stopped. I since went back to read collections: Old Man Logan, Kraven's Last Hunt, Spiderman Noir, etc. I haven't really read much comics lately. Not sure what it is exactly. Perhaps it's because I'm kinda tired of super heroes at the moment.

Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley was fantastic, and I read volume 1 of Scott Pilgrim, bought volume 2 but never read it.

Oh well.

I also have a birthday coming up. I feel younger than I am, but I think that's because all my friends feel older. They're all buying houses, getting married, going on trips, etc. I play D&D with 3 people, all of which are home owners and 2 are married (the third does live with his girlfriend though). I got a wedding to attend on Saturday for a friend who I knew since grade 7. Then, likewise, here I am excited to pick up a Switch next month for Link's Awakening, or swearing at Dark Souls 2. I know my friends are like that too, playing D&D and whatnot, but still. It's hard not to compare to other people when you exclusively hang out with them.

tl;dr I sometimes feel like a kid hanging out with the big boys.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
In my head, 40 feels very "adult", and I'm over here like "Got my video games, got my convertible, got my comic books", which doesn't sound very adult. lol
I guess I'm just seeing how I saw my parents when they were 40 and how they acted and behaved compared to me at 40. Maybe it's just a difference in the times. Maybe it's differences in technology and entertainment. Who knows.
I have no intention of changing things in my life. Still going to be playing video games. Still going to be reading my X-Men comics.
I also turned 40 a few months back. Leading up to 40 had me at little thrown off. But being here I love it honestly it’s been really great so far. I still fell young and ready to go that is the biggest thing for me.

EvilTw1n

This has been something I've had on my mind a good deal lately. I read an interview with St. Vincent (aka Annie Clark) a few weeks back, and she had written a song about how everyone is living two lives. There's the one you're living, but there's also this parallel life out there in the ether - the one you're supposed to be living.

...the one that's an amalgamation of your parent's dreams for you, and your own adolescent hopes.

Maybe it's closer for some people, these two lives, but I am definitely not living the life I'm supposed to be living at all. But, maybe no one is.

And the script has to change with the times. It used to be people were wasting their lives by putting their noses in books instead of living in the real world. Then radio stole people away from reading those important books. Then TV took away the imagination one had to have when listening to radio. Now games are rotting our brains because TV is a somewhat more respected medium.

As usual, Vonnegut was right.

"I tell you, we're here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."

sjmartin79

@Juegos @mattavelle1 @EvilTw1n - Thank you all very much! It was a great birthday!
Steve2 has been celebrating my birthday since last Friday with dinners with friends, game nights, dinners with family, and then last night was just a dinner with us. It's been a fabulous way to enter my 40s. Onward and Upward!

Do you guys post on any other forums? Or is there another TNE place that I'm missing out on. I miss the days when this place was robust.

On another note: I saw the article about how well Menashe and the parent company are doing. That's fantastic!

Happy Belated Birthday my dude. Sounds like you had a baller of a weekend.

I know a lot of people post on Discord. Perhaps @Juegos can hit you up with a link or however it works. In terms of forums, I'm unaware of any others. Seems like the days of forums are kinda over. Shame really, I remember being excited to go home from school or work to look up the forums and see who wrote what.

sjmartin79

@CitizenOfVerona - Thank you! It's been an amazing birthday celebration!

Last night, we went indoor skydiving. Once I get some videos online, I'll post them here. It was a helluva experience!

I'm all signed up for the discord, I just found it harder to keep track of things on there, at least when the discord first started. I like here how you can show up once a day, quote someone's post, and keep that convo rolling. I just felt lost on discord, but I may not have given it enough of a chance.

I just don't want to lose our TNE fam, even if we're just posting every so often.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@CitizenOfVerona - Thank you! It's been an amazing birthday celebration!

Last night, we went indoor skydiving. Once I get some videos online, I'll post them here. It was a helluva experience!

I'm all signed up for the discord, I just found it harder to keep track of things on there, at least when the discord first started. I like here how you can show up once a day, quote someone's post, and keep that convo rolling. I just felt lost on discord, but I may not have given it enough of a chance.

I just don't want to lose our TNE fam, even if we're just posting every so often.
I don’t plan on goin anywhere

Socar

Hey all. Been a long time since I posted here....

So I recently quit my old job and now have moved to Chicago with my bro. The reason for this is because my family felt that I needed to try out this trip once since I always stated that America is my only future as it is one of the countries which is major in gaming.

I was very hesitant because well..I'm used to routines and am one of those that do not know what happens but the convincing that I got was if I didn't like the trip within a week or so, then I could simply fly back to India. That part convinced me to go because well...if it didn't work out, I could simply go back.

So I went to the trip. Turns out that I now don't like the trip anymore because my bro's girlfriend is constantly annoying me and my parents were shocked that he let her stay and now regret the whole situation. So now when I want to go back, I can't because my parents are worried that I cannot go back alone while my brother is lying and saying that I should use the money dad gave me to book my ticket and go back myself instead of him changing the ticket flight since he was the one that made the date of return till next year. And he tells me to do google and book the ticket myself knowing that it is not possible to do so.

Man...its depressing all because the place I am staying at is too small to even do the things that I would normally want to do. It feels so uncomfortable that I regret following my gut.

This whole thing is a mess. I should have never decided to quit the job in the first place even if I had wanted to. None of this would have happened.

On that note, I'm as clueless as ever being someone under the autism spectrum where my skills are not good enough and my learning abilities are poor to the point that I can't decide what to do.

EvilTw1n

Discord is definitely harder to keep up with, because it's basically just a nicer version of the sidebar chat we used to roll with...but easier to use on a phone (and ideal for a quick hi and shooting the shit).

I've thought that maybe we should open a separate forum (since this and the game completion thread are really the only active threads), but...then everyone has to migrate just to have two open threads. And forums are pretty much dying everywhere, so...
I don’t plan on goin anywhere
Yep, looks like we're here for the duration.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

So I recently quit my old job and now have moved to Chicago with my bro. The reason for this is because my family felt that I needed to try out this trip once since I always stated that America is my only future as it is one of the countries which is major in gaming.

I was very hesitant because well..I'm used to routines and am one of those that do not know what happens but the convincing that I got was if I didn't like the trip within a week or so, then I could simply fly back to India. That part convinced me to go because well...if it didn't work out, I could simply go back.

So I went to the trip. Turns out that I now don't like the trip anymore because my bro's girlfriend is constantly annoying me and my parents were shocked that he let her stay and now regret the whole situation. So now when I want to go back, I can't because my parents are worried that I cannot go back alone while my brother is lying and saying that I should use the money dad gave me to book my ticket and go back myself instead of him changing the ticket flight since he was the one that made the date of return till next year. And he tells me to do google and book the ticket myself knowing that it is not possible to do so.

Man...its depressing all because the place I am staying at is too small to even do the things that I would normally want to do. It feels so uncomfortable that I regret following my gut.

This whole thing is a mess. I should have never decided to quit the job in the first place even if I had wanted to. None of this would have happened.

On that note, I'm as clueless as ever being someone under the autism spectrum where my skills are not good enough and my learning abilities are poor to the point that I can't decide what to do.
Sorry to hear that Socar. But I would say since you're already in the US, why not try getting a job? That would be good for meeting people and making some money so you can really immerse yourself in US culture. And I don't know what your job in India was, but it's possible that even a minimum-wage job in Chicago won't be as stressful as the one you quit.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Welcome back Socar!

Koenig

The Architect
Question: @mattavelle1 @EvilTw1n @Goodtwin @Shoulder @FriedShoes @Juegos @simplyTravis @sjmartin79 @CitizenOfVerona

Will you guys be picking up Overwatch for the switch later this month? I am considering getting the switch version (already have it for PC) so I can get back into multiplayer with you guys again (aside from Monster Hunter, I have not done much with you guys since Ghosts back in 2013-2014). Funds are tight, so I am trying to plan in advance before I spend on anything.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Question: @mattavelle1 @EvilTw1n @Goodtwin @Shoulder @FriedShoes @Juegos @simplyTravis @sjmartin79 @CitizenOfVerona

Will you guys be picking up Overwatch for the switch later this month? I am considering getting the switch version (already have it for PC) so I can get back into multiplayer with you guys again (aside from Monster Hunter, I have not done much with you guys since Ghosts back in 2013-2014). Funds are tight, so I am trying to plan in advance before I spend on anything.
I haven’t committed to buying a new MP game, but Overwatch for the FPS squad action is on the radar.

sjmartin79

I have never played Overwatch, and I don't know much about it, but it is on my radar. I'm going to do some research into it.
As long as it is better than Fortnite, I may be in. I just don't get Fortnite.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

I've been aching for a COD replacement for quite some time now for the OG Squad, so I'd be all for it.