The Great CT - Community Thread

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
How you folks doing?

AYYYYYY!!!!!

I have been galavanting about on the twitters and podcastifarian scene but wanted to check in with everyone.

As usual it's been wild and crazy out here. A butadiene plant blew up about 9 miles away and shook my house to the point where I thought a tree fell on it.

big one.jpg
Oh, it's time for our quarterly apocalypse in South East Texas!

The 2nd explosion the next day I got to see video of from Rowdy5000 (the cohost of our podcast Lamer Gamers) with the text underneath saying...

So, after that they decided that it was time to evacuate around 60 thousand or so people within a 4 mile radius. Rowdy5000 went a few towns over and I brought in a family of 5 that needed a place to go. I mean, when you have posts going around Facebook like this which have some actual validity to them...you try to find a place with any sort of friend of a friend of a friend's family.

city level.jpg
These tanks are made to release pressure before exploding but the few that have exploded had massive explosions...

Thanksgiving was pretty good. We had more than enough food for about 25 or so people so I was able to send home our family friends back with a ton of food! By the way, in case you are wondering, a 3 year old can't destroy a Ring Fit Adventure controller. That toddler of terror definitely tried.

Totally accurate depiction of toddler entering our house.

After the fire at the plant was "contained" they lifted the evacuation order. Now this is not the same as extinguished. It just means the fire is burning and they are letting it just do it's thing. This seems like a bad idea but it's actually safer because it essentially burns up the chemical and keeps it from being released in it's original form. The smoke that it's releasing isn't exactly the best thing for you but it won't kill you instantaneously like the chemical itself will. So for now...there is a massive fire burning but everyone is mostly safe...mostly.

Hopefully everyone's Thanksgiving went great without all the explosions!

On a side note, our podcast has finally gathered over 1500 downloads and we're looking to move to a weekly podcast release! If you haven't checked it out here are some graphics I put together for a recent podcasters meet up that shows goes over what our cast is all about.

press sheet 1Artboard 1.png

press sheet 2Artboard 1.png

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I have 335 Pokemon out of 400 so far. And I'm just about to the Pokemon Finals, so it looks like I'll still have some to find post-game.
I'm so glad they reduced the number of Pokemon in this game. Instead of just making sure to find all the new ones, I feel like 400 is a small enough number to finish out the pokedex completely. The only other game where I've finished the full dex was Pokemon Let's Go Evee and that was like 150, so this it me putting in a lot more effort. But with the Wild Area, it makes finding and catching Pokemon so much more fun.

Loving Pokemon Sword so much!

I always thought how different would Pokemon be if each game was completely stand alone. I stopped playing after Silver as a kid and never played one until Black, which introduced a new batch of them and that was it until post-game or trading, and I really like Black.

I know each game is pretty easy to get into, I don't need to know all 800+ to enjoy Sun and Moon for example, but I wonder if I'd be more interested/invested if each game focused exclusively on their own new ones until post game or trading.

Either way, I'm sure I'll get Sword or Shield one day. I still need to play the rest though. Still only played Red/Blue, Silver, Black and Y

I played some more Killer7, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the gameplay well enough even though it seems repetitive. I think my biggest issue is the story, I just don't get it. Games like Silent Hill, No More Heroes or Nier Automata also have a lot to unpack and analyze if you're into that sort of thing, but they also tell a good story if you don't want to dig deeper. Killer7, I just don't know what's going on. I know some stories have twists that come out of left field, but every scene in this game seems out of left field. I'm not that invested overall. The scenes or characters I do understand I'm just not into. The last couple of scenes were honestly pretty fucked up, and I don't think I'm in the correct head-space for that sort of thing.

Usually I dislike not finishing games that I sank a few hours into, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it. So instead, I started a new file of Bayonetta and holy shit this game is still something else. I started a new file months ago but stopped just shy of the first boss, but this time around I'm just in love all over again. It got some iffy design choices like off-screen enemies, or being hit nanoseconds after a cutscene finishes, or quite possibly the worst implementations of QTE's ever (I swear I hit that gosh dang Y button game, don't tell me otherwise) but it's just a load of fun.

Perhaps after a few days away from Killer7 I'll play it again, but it's not really grabbing me like No More Heroes or Shadows of the Damned.

First Killer is Dead is unplayable, and Killer7 ain't clicking. Shame, I wanted to explore more of Grasshopper Studios' history.

Oh well, at least Bayonetta's soundtrack is fantastic.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
That's how a lot of Grasshopper's games are. They're either repetitive with a story that makes no sense, or less repetitive with a story that makes no sense, or somehow strikes gold like the way the No More Heroes series is (which is also kind of repetitive). They have a kind of rebellious air around their videogames. As long as it's not another Travis Strikes Back, I'd continue to look forward to their games.

I really, really love Bayonetta. Oh gawd, I love this game so much, and I feel it has everything to do with Bayonetta as a character, and the atmosphere of the game itself, which is damn fun. She's like a better version of Dante, and is so damn CHILL and suave despite having a body that's 7/8 legs. The hijinks within the cutscenes in the series between the characters are just a darn fun time. And for a moment I thought there was no way Platinum Games could've topped Revengeance, which I could've sworn was their Magnum Opus.

And Bayonetta probably has one of the best opening exposition scene of any videogame.

That's how a lot of Grasshopper's games are. They're either repetitive with a story that makes no sense, or less repetitive with a story that makes no sense, or somehow strikes gold like the way the No More Heroes series is (which is also kind of repetitive). They have a kind of rebellious air around their videogames. As long as it's not another Travis Strikes Back, I'd continue to look forward to their games.

I really, really love Bayonetta. Oh gawd, I love this game so much, and I feel it has everything to do with Bayonetta as a character, and the atmosphere of the game itself, which is damn fun. She's like a better version of Dante, and is so damn CHILL and suave despite having a body that's 7/8 legs. The hijinks within the cutscenes in the series between the characters are just a darn fun time. And for a moment I thought there was no way Platinum Games could've topped Revengeance, which I could've sworn was their Magnum Opus.

And Bayonetta probably has one of the best opening exposition scene of any videogame.
At this point I want to see a collaboration between Suda51 and Platinum in the same way Yoko Taro and Platinum made Nier Automata.

I feel like I should play Travis Strikes Again, but most things I see or hear about it makes me wonder if I should bother.

Nice man, what games u end up getting for it?
too many to list :p but i think like 18 retail game's. a few wiiu ports that i either didn't play or in hyrule warriors case it was cheaper to get the switch version than buy the dlc for the wiiu version. ( found it for stupid cheap on prime now )

They're all nintendo released game's though physical anyway. i use my pc for other game's now a days i gave up on the playstation/ xbox systems.

Aki

Congratulations @sjmartin79, I’m sure you and Steve will make great parents. Be sure to buy the kid a switch lite lol.

Also, big shoutout to no. 45 for remaining strong and steadfast in the face of adversity. America loves you.

MANGANian

Midsommar is...something. I love it as the "chill" and pretty scenes really makes you want to keep watching, and then the stuff the main character deals with throughout the entire film just makes you not want to watch it ever again.

Midsommar, "How would you like to see a 3hr film where the main character just suffers and not much else?"

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
A lot of great memories on here, and would like to see it come back to its original self. We could start by eliminating all the spam that accumulates around here.
Where are you seeing this spam? I know I delete Atleast 5 spam bots a day. On my que it dosent have any that I can see.

Unless your talkin about the front page articles? That I have no control over and there back here for us to comment on.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Where are you seeing this spam? I know I delete Atleast 5 spam bots a day. On my que it dosent have any that I can see.

Unless your talkin about the front page articles? That I have no control over and there back here for us to comment on.
I know Matt, Mike, and I are deleting spam pretty much every day. It keeps coming no matter how much we IP ban them, they're just part of the flow of traffic, unfortunately.
It is literally the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning. No checking the weather or news, no quick coffee. Instead, I'm deleting Keto diet spam from the forum.

I dunno what we did to have Russian spam bots tell us to eat high fat / low carb, but damnit, we're stuck with them.
A lot of great memories on here, and would like to see it come back to its original self. We could start by eliminating all the spam that accumulates around here.
I have grown to appreciate Discord, but there's something off-putting about composing or reading a wall of text on there. That belongs here. But everyone is off playing a ton of different games, which is why the game completion thread is the only lively discussion - we can all talk about what we're playing, but we can't really compare notes, because no one is playing the same things.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
It is literally the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning. No checking the weather or news, no quick coffee. Instead, I'm deleting Keto diet spam from the forum.

I dunno what we did to have Russian spam bots tell us to eat high fat / low carb, but damnit, we're stuck with them.
We deal with that same Keto shit on IGN too. Of course, our Keto bots are from India and Pakistan.

sjmartin79

Sorry I have been MIA for the last two weeks. Having a new kid in the house and being slammed at work has kept me from being as active on the socials as I used to, including here. Being instant parents has been an adjustment, and we are definitely learning on the go. I'm interested to see how things change as school starts next week and we get into a routine.

I hope you all had a very Happy Holiday and a fantastic New Year! May 2020 bring you all the wonderful things you deserve. I'm very grateful for TNE and all of you!

Congratulations @sjmartin79, I’m sure you and Steve will make great parents. Be sure to buy the kid a switch lite lol.

Also, big shoutout to no. 45 for remaining strong and steadfast in the face of adversity. America loves you.
Aki, thank you! I appreciate it! And we are looking into a Switch Lite.
I was going to like your post, but the part about 45 kept me from clicking as I have no love for him. lol

Aki

Sorry I have been MIA for the last two weeks. Having a new kid in the house and being slammed at work has kept me from being as active on the socials as I used to, including here. Being instant parents has been an adjustment, and we are definitely learning on the go. I'm interested to see how things change as school starts next week and we get into a routine.

I hope you all had a very Happy Holiday and a fantastic New Year! May 2020 bring you all the wonderful things you deserve. I'm very grateful for TNE and all of you!

Aki, thank you! I appreciate it! And we are looking into a Switch Lite.
I was going to like your post, but the part about 45 kept me from clicking as I have no love for him. lol
That sucks because he is probably going to be your president for the next 4 years. Anyway, whatever on that. You end up getting the switch lite? I ended up just buying a V2 Switch instead.

sjmartin79

No purchase of a Switch Lite yet. Waiting to see if her love of gaming warrants a console purchase for her. Also want her to feel like she's earned it and that we're not just showering her with things.

With all the new rumors yesterday of a Switch Pro this year, may wait for that, buy one for myself, and she can have my OG Switch.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
No purchase of a Switch Lite yet. Waiting to see if her love of gaming warrants a console purchase for her. Also want her to feel like she's earned it and that we're not just showering her with things.

With all the new rumors yesterday of a Switch Pro this year, may wait for that, buy one for myself, and she can have my OG Switch.
If it comes out at the holidays, ima have to have the new one. The OG Switch probably been my favorite console of all time. The chance to run the next BotW in all its glory would be way to tempting to me.

sjmartin79

If it comes out at the holidays, ima have to have the new one. The OG Switch probably been my favorite console of all time. The chance to run the next BotW in all its glory would be way to tempting to me.
Couldn't agree more! The Switch is just a magnificent console. Fits perfectly in with my busy life. Has great games.
And just to think, that we could have an even stronger one for the next BotW? Wow!

MANGANian

I would do anything for Squeenix to re-release Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for the Switch, or anything for that matter. They love to pretend some of their games don't exist. I don't want to have to resort to an emulator to replay it.

Two days ago I got my wisdom tooth extracted. Spent most of the time wondering if I'd die during operation, and then it was done in about 5 mins after anesthetics. It reminded me how much it must've sucked a long time ago when something like that required you to suffer through the pain, and how much I have little faith in anyone at all. I think the dentist sorta slightly damaged a nerve somewhere along my jaw, because any slight tugging of my jaw makes me feel like it's gonna dislocate, but other than that, I'm peachy.

It was nice having an excuse to stay away from work for at least 3 days. I didn't realise I needed this as much as I do now.

Horizon: New Dawn is starting to grow on me. It just sorta picked up somehow. I don't know how they managed to make this game look as good as it did. Seeing the kind of lighting it achieved during sunrise at certain weather conditions just takes me back to the times I used to wander outside for the sake of it. Probably one of the few games where I rather walk the distance than use the teleport option.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I would do anything for Squeenix to re-release Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for the Switch, or anything for that matter. They love to pretend some of their games don't exist. I don't want to have to resort to an emulator to replay it.
I've been hoping for a Tactics + Tactics Advance + Tactics Advance 2 Collection. Even without the Advance titles, though, a port of the PS1 title would make a lot of sense since it's already been remastered for PSP as War of the Lions.

I never finished Advance 2, it was honestly too much for me to handle. I went in deep trying to make a team of super-badasses so I started doing every sidequest and eventually just dropped it after 100+ hours. I don't even know why I want it again now, there's no way I'd play the game as much as I did back then, but I do want them.

MANGANian

I've been hoping for a Tactics + Tactics Advance + Tactics Advance 2 Collection. Even without the Advance titles, though, a port of the PS1 title would make a lot of sense since it's already been remastered for PSP as War of the Lions.

I never finished Advance 2, it was honestly too much for me to handle. I went in deep trying to make a team of super-badasses so I started doing every sidequest and eventually just dropped it after 100+ hours. I don't even know why I want it again now, there's no way I'd play the game as much as I did back then, but I do want them.
I dropped it too, because of how long it was, but only have great memories of that game, and I'd like to have another go at the game now, since I was an elementary when it came to TRPGs at the time. The Switch's design is perfect for a game like this.

Yeah i'm really enjoying the switch myself. while i dont play console/handheld game's nearly as much as i used to. the switch is what i've been wanting from nintendo since basically the wii/ds days. i had long grown tired of having to have 2 systems to enjoy their entire catalog, and it works as both. I was a late adopter to the system cause well lets just say i wasn't too keen on being an early adopter again after the wiiu. i never actually owned a 3ds until 2019 cause i didn't have the time to use 2 different systems and keep up with them at the same time.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Given this is a new year, and also a new decade, it also means a new era. Starting next month, my Fiancee and I will officially be homeowners. We found a house that fitted our budget well, and allows us to start on a more clean slate in making it our own. Have to be honest, it's been a little bit stressful in coordinating stuff with the lender, our realtor, getting a sublet going for our current apartment, also getting ready to start packing stuff. I was speaking to my older brother a few weeks ago, and we got to talking about our parents, and what they did to make things work when we were all kids. We used to think our parents had all the answers, and everything all figured out, but thinking about it more, our parents were likely in the same type of situation, they were likely making things happen as they went, and at times did not have a set instruction on carrying things out. I'll be the first of my brothers to become a homeowner, but I don't consider that to be a plus or minus really. It's simply what works for each of us, and my Fiancee and I decided this was what's best for us, and our future together.

After that, it's tying the knot, which is likely to happen around Springtime.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Given this is a new year, and also a new decade, it also means a new era. Starting next month, my Fiancee and I will officially be homeowners. We found a house that fitted our budget well, and allows us to start on a more clean slate in making it our own. Have to be honest, it's been a little bit stressful in coordinating stuff with the lender, our realtor, getting a sublet going for our current apartment, also getting ready to start packing stuff. I was speaking to my older brother a few weeks ago, and we got to talking about our parents, and what they did to make things work when we were all kids. We used to think our parents had all the answers, and everything all figured out, but thinking about it more, our parents were likely in the same type of situation, they were likely making things happen as they went, and at times did not have a set instruction on carrying things out. I'll be the first of my brothers to become a homeowner, but I don't consider that to be a plus or minus really. It's simply what works for each of us, and my Fiancee and I decided this was what's best for us, and our future together.

After that, it's tying the knot, which is likely to happen around Springtime.
HELL YEAH SHOULDER THATS WHATS UP!!! Congratulations in a big way!!!

@Majorbuddah did you get a good house? Nice size you till where you been?

MANGANian

Playstation's chat support is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very infuriating.

This is no exaggeration. I get upset before I even get to interact with the rep. I can feel the my blood pressure skyrocket right now. And if I dare call them, it'd cover about the same cost as the amount I wanted to recuperate. It's a stark contrast from Blizzard's chat support. Lesson learned, never again.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Playstation's chat support is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very infuriating.

This is no exaggeration. I get upset before I even get to interact with the rep. I can feel the my blood pressure skyrocket right now. And if I dare call them, it'd cover about the same cost as the amount I wanted to recuperate. It's a stark contrast from Blizzard's chat support. Lesson learned, never again.
Just buy a new one.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

*brings up chair*

What's troubling you, my friend? Care to explain what's bothering you?

So we just had a record breaking storm yesterday. Not sure how much ended up falling yet but it was estimated more than 70 cms or snow with winds gusting to 120 km/h or more.

This picture is from one of our highways. 4 lanes with a divide in the middle.

snow.jpg

And we have a state of emergency that may not be lifted until Monday

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So we just had a record breaking storm yesterday. Not sure how much ended up falling yet but it was estimated more than 70 cms or snow with winds gusting to 120 km/h or more.

This picture is from one of our highways. 4 lanes with a divide in the middle.

View attachment 3637

And we have a state of emergency that may not be lifted until Monday
Damn!!! I hope you can stay safe and dig out CoV