The Great CT - Community Thread

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Man, I feel like this reaction towards TLOU2 is out of hand, to the point where I'm starting to think there's another reason I'm not seeing because the plot of the game definitely isn't the worst thing in the world, and people are being overwhelmingly mean to every aspect of the story and Naughty Dog themselves.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Man, I feel like this reaction towards TLOU2 is out of hand, to the point where I'm starting to think there's another reason I'm not seeing because the plot of the game definitely isn't the worst thing in the world, and people are being overwhelmingly mean to every aspect of the story and Naughty Dog themselves.
We’re all beginning to see this in all aspects across the board with the negative mob voice on social media.

Ima put this out there for some feedback. No rush just think about all of us. We have all been on the forums for many years now. It’s amazing to me how the “troll” stratgies really is just now starting to Take real hold on social media.

It took us years to figure out how to deal with this strategy but there were times when you would have quite a few voice online in forums that these people could gather some group. But it’s goin to a new level just with the sheer volume of voice your able to gather online for this or that reason to fight for or against.

Do you guys see it like this also?

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
We’re all beginning to see this in all aspects across the board with the negative mob voice on social media.

Ima put this out there for some feedback. No rush just think about all of us. We have all been on the forums for many years now. It’s amazing to me how the “troll” stratgies really is just now starting to Take real hold on social media.

It took us years to figure out how to deal with this strategy but there were times when you would have quite a few voice online in forums that these people could gather some group. But it’s goin to a new level just with the sheer volume of voice your able to gather online for this or that reason to fight for or against.

Do you guys see it like this also?
Yes, it's definitely something bad these days. People seem to be going out of their way to be cruel these days.

Aki

My big gripe with the games industry currently is the toxicity and cancel culture attributed to it. This is particularly evident on forums such as Resetera. What I have an even bigger issue with is when devs actually pay attention to that vocal, but radical minority because they've turned twitter into a weapon. If you ignore those people, they will go away because they are nothing more than attention seekers.

Edit: Also the weirdness surrounding gaming also makes me think twice. When I was growing up in the early 90s, gamers were usually perceived as losers, degenerates, nerds and in some cases socially awkward. It was just kind of a stigma back then, but now it seems like that's the culture in gaming judging by popular streamers, their demeanor and that of their fanbase. The whole sexualization of minors in anime games masked under "artistic vision" and how popular they are, the outrage in censorship of said characters, the whole waifu / incel mindset, games like DoA, that new game volcano high or whatever, the predatory nature of popular streamers and people of power in the industry...

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Congrats, Shoulder! So happy for you both! Wishing you a lifetime of love and laughter!
Thank you, Steve! It's been going great so far, although we haven't gotten to a month yet, so ask me again in twenty years. :mlaugh:

Social media was just a bad idea
Social media as a concept can be a good thing, and it has provided us from a global perspective instant access to information as it happens, so there are good things about it. But there are always two sides of the same coin. For example, guns can be used for good, but people also use guns as a means of doing bad things. But I also wouldn't say we should outlaw guns because of a few bad apples either. I think Social Media is very similar. It is an incredibly powerful tool to behold, but if not used properly, it can cause a lot of upset, damage, and of course misinformation, among other things. As we know, people have lost their jobs/careers because of things they say, but I don't blame social media itself for that. Again, Social Media is a tool, much like our smartphone is a tool.

For better or worse, it has given more people a voice. But that doesn't mean we always have to hear those voices either. Like a bad TV Show, we can always change the channel.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
One positive I'll say about social media is that it is easier to keep in touch with people I may have lost contact with otherwise.
This is true for me also. And with havin online church on FB live I’ve been able to invite my friends from online to come and join with us. And quite a few of you guys have and that’s been really cool.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I miss you guys too.... Hence why I came here.... Good to see you Travis....

And good to see this place is still around....
It's pretty interesting that we both decided to check this place on the same day, haha. I ended up having to send my Surface tablet back and forgot to transfer my bookmarks in Brave. I loaded up my old Chrome bookmarks and sitting in the middle were Chatango TNE and TNE forums. Btw...Chatango is a wild wasteland full of uhhh....yeah...it's not good. Don't go there lol

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I was real glad to see your name pop up on my switch friends list tonight @TheAmazingLSB

Great to see you again old friend. How have ya been?
I would say, but I don't want to damper the mood....

Needless to say it's really to good talk to you again Matt....

We should get together for some MK8D online goodness....

It’s not very active, but ya it’s still here. I pop in every once in a while. FYI Square is having a sale on the eshop right now. Good to see you alive man! I see you from time to time on my Steam friend list.
Great to see you too Aki....

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I would say, but I don't want to damper the mood....

Needless to say it's really to good talk to you again Matt....

We should get together for some MK8D online goodness....

Great to see you too Aki....
Cool and understand on all that. I would love to play some MK8 fo sho! Life is busy and I don’t have as much time to game or post but I still check here everyday. We will get sometime to hook up tho no doubt. And if we wanted to chat we have the discord and could chat thru there if you want. But anyhow even if none of that happens it’s just damn good to hear from you fr

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
which color switch lite did u get? i'm eyeing up a yellow one
I got a grey one....

Didn't really have a choice....

I can't believe I actually got one considering that it's sold the **** out everywhere in Vegas....

I got lucky.... Switch and Switch Lite are apparently in high demand all across the country....

But if I had a choice I would have gotten the Yellow or Teal ones....

EDIT: I have most of you guys on my American friends list....

But I also have a Japanese account....

Here is my friend code just in case you want add it to your friends list....

SW-7795-3714-8491

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm late on this but it's good to see you here @TheAmazingLSB. Yeah, this place has slowed down a lot. If I want to perk the forums up I have to learn a bunch of forums admin stuff which I haven't found the motivation for, yet, and then make an effort to invite new people in, but it's hard to imagine there are a lot of people out there still interested in joining a place for gaming walls of text that isn't Reddit. Either way I don't know why these forums would go away soon (other than Corporate deciding to shut them down for some reason), so as long as people keep showing up and posting I'll personally keep lurking.

This yearly thread right here is where the most activity has happened over the past couple of years, if you haven't checked it out and want to participate:
https://forum.nintendoenthusiast.com/threads/god-shattering-star-2020-games-completed-thread.7699/

I am going to go on a small personal rant, but i'd appreciate you guys feedback.

I have been playing Paper Mario: The Origami King lately, but in light of recent interviews with the games director I honestly feel I need to stop playing. Not because the game is bad mind you, hell i'd argue its the best Paper Mario since the series effective reboot on the 3DS. No, the reason I need to stop is because it is hurting me, being constantly reminded of the series I love yet knowing that (at least at current) there is absolutely no hope for Nintendo to ever create another Paper Mario RPG in vein of the originals.

Many of you already know the series changed its design, but I'd wager most of you don't know 'why'. To summarize as concisely as i can, during the development of Sticker Star, Miyamoto effectively veto'd the project multiple times, laying down sweeping ground rules of how the series could conduct itself in the future. The two most notable of which we can infer being:

1.) All mechanics must be new; core mechanics from the previous games (the combat, xp system, partner abilities, badges, etc) were off limits in future titles.

2.) No characters based on existing races can deviate from the main series' standardized design (this was clarified more recently that it includes ANY form of alteration to the base design beyond cloths. That means Gender, Age, Health,

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/paper-mario-origami-king/

https://mynintendonews.com/2020/07/...re-about-paper-marios-character-restrictions/

Although the series has continued and improved on its new features, those two restrictions have a drastic effect on the series.

The ban on existing mechanics speaks for itself; although Nintendo prides itself on doing new and interesting things, placing a ban on previous systems effectively forces the series to change its entire genre (Hence why later games play like an action/puzzle game). Considering the series was originally designed as a sequel to Super Mario RPG (and in Japan, name Mario Story and later Paper Mario RPG), it seems baffling.

Imagine if Metroid was not allowed to have upgrades, or Zelda not allowed to have puzzles or exploration?

The ban on characters is arguably even more damaging, as under the new restrictions most existing characters in the previous Paper Mario game are forbidden in the eyes of Miyamoto. The unique identity that the Paper Mario series had carved out for itself is simply not allowed, and all future games MUST conform to the generic versions of each. For example:

bombomb.png

(All of these are above are banned and can ONLY be replaced by the following)

bombomb2.png

On the surface that may not seem like too much of a restriction, but on deeper inspection it functionally means that no 'Characters' can be created. (A death blow to practically any story or RPG). You CAN dress NPC's and enemies in different costumes and clothing, but no new name or identity outside of a profession may be assigned. This is why later games have such a massive number of generic toads, but no named characters.

Of course, the workaround they can take is to create entirely new races (this is how they introduced the sidekick characters in each of the newer games and is similar to what they did in Super Paper Mario) but at that point you lose much of the appeal of the original Paper Mario's, as they functionally are not recognizable as Mario characters. Granted, i personally would still prefer this over no characters at all, but it is clear that Nintendo does not want to stray too far from the core identity of Super Mario (even at the cost of the identity of Paper Mario)

I could go down the rabbit hole much further as to what this means for the series, but ill try to cut this short and save you all the time.

TLDR: Paper Mario is no longer about a story or characters, nor under current management can it ever be again. A series who's original installments were portrayed as a storybook and solid RPG's in their own right can now only be about Paper Craft and what funny little moments can be derived from it.

The Paper Mario I loved is dead and can NEVER come back, while the name of series is recycled to portray something fundamentally different. I do not begrudge anyone for enjoying the newer games, I just lament at the complete loss I feel towards the series I once considered to be my favorite franchise of all time.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@Koenig it seems like they could still come up with any number of original characters to fill the game, if they chose to try. There's nothing stopping them from creating a hundred different original origami characters (and enemies, and so on); unless I'm reading it wrong and they're not allowed to create original characters for their game, either.

@Koenig it seems like they could still come up with any number of original characters to fill the game, if they chose to try. There's nothing stopping them from creating a hundred different original origami characters (and enemies, and so on); unless I'm reading it wrong and they're not allowed to create original characters for their game, either.
They are allowed to, but prefer not to. Tanabe cited Super Paper Mario as an example (of straying too far). They want to keep things in the mushroom kingdom as much as possible.

Last edited:

Aki

Def rollin with @Aki on this one. Red Shell probs #1 just because you can defend, or if someone passes You, you can take back your spot. That horn is a great option but I’m partial to greens shells #2.
The thing is that you can't defend the blue shell and getting hit with it makes you lose your red shell which you probably didn't get to use because you would've had to have slowed down to 2nd place after noticing the blue shell coming and then after slowing down to 2nd, you'd have to launch your red shell before you get hit which really doesn't make much sense. With the horn you can block the blue shell, block an item from hitting you and you can disrupt those in your immediate vicinity. There's a lot more versatility and tactics involved imo. For example since MK has rubber banding AI, a popular strategy ppl like to use is coast in 2nd until 1st gets hit with a shell. In that scenario if you are first and have a horn, you could potentially stop the blue shell and mess up 2nd place as he is trying to pass you by granted the timing is right. Also, one final point. In order to offensively use the red shell while in first means that you have to let someone pass you up. As mentioned a few lines back with the horn you can still use it as an offensive weapon even from first place (to hit those trying to pass you up).