The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
OMFG this place still exists....

I just got myself a Switch Lite....

Hey, LSB! Good to see you back! I had been trying to limit some of my social media for a bit, and TNE was one of the things I didn't check on for 2 weeks. And look at all I missed.

@sjmartin79

What’s the word on you guys in Florida and this potential hurricane?
Hey Matt, thank you for checking in, that was greatly appreciated!
Thankfully, it stayed to the east coast and completely off shore.

Koenig

The Architect
Just a shame Nintendo is being a little dickish about pulling it off Wii U. Granted anyone who wanted it and has a Wii U probably already has it, but then that begs the question why Nintendo would remove it in the first place.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I was playing Super Mario Kart this morning and I noticed something....

Mario was holding a bottle of champagne....

So I thought to myself....

Is there alcohol in the Mushroom Kingdom...?

And if so....

I wonder how much fucking yak Luigi drinks on any typical day....

Last edited:

sjmartin79

I spent a good bit of time this weekend on side quests in Witcher 3, which amounted to a lot of games of Gwent. I'm getting quite good at it now. At first I wasn't enjoying it, because I was bad at it. But once I got the hang of it and got a better organized deck, it's more enjoyable.
Also a lot of horse races and boxing matches.

But I am torn as to who I believe Geralt should end up with romantically.

Aki

I spent a good bit of time this weekend on side quests in Witcher 3, which amounted to a lot of games of Gwent. I'm getting quite good at it now. At first I wasn't enjoying it, because I was bad at it. But once I got the hang of it and got a better organized deck, it's more enjoyable.
Also a lot of horse races and boxing matches.

But I am torn as to who I believe Geralt should end up with romantically.
i went with triss the first time around and yen the second time. the story definitely wants you to pick yen.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
It kinda bothers me that Nintendo has an entire catalog of Gamecube games that still holds up today (and are as expensive as fak to find) and they don't bother to re-release them. I don't care if Star-fox Assault wasn't as good as 64, give me a chance to play it, dammit! And where's my Super Mario Sunshine and Thousand Year Door re-release! I don't wanna play these games on my PC! Give me some Mario & Luigi games too!

Aki

It kinda bothers me that Nintendo has an entire catalog of Gamecube games that still holds up today (and are as expensive as fak to find) and they don't bother to re-release them. I don't care if Star-fox Assault wasn't as good as 64, give me a chance to play it, dammit! And where's my Super Mario Sunshine and Thousand Year Door re-release! I don't wanna play these games on my PC! Give me some Mario & Luigi games too!
It's possible Switch may have to emulate GCN games and maybe it's not strong enough to do that. Ppl forget, N64 emulation is pretty hard as well.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Does the r button on your lite have more play than the L button? Think I'm gonna give in and buy a lite, but I've read of build quality issues.
I'm no expert, but so far I've been pretty impressed by my Switch Lite....

The triggers feel good.... It basically feels like a genuine Joy-Con, just a little smaller....

The D-Pad feels great, which is at least one thing that I feel is better than that of a traditional Joy-Con....

So far I only have one gripe, and that is the placing of the minus button....

You have to use it for some games, and the placement is just awful making it awkward to use....

It's placement is so close to the left joystick that it makes it rather infuriating to get to....

On the right side the joystick is lower, making it very ergonomic and easy to press the plus button....

But fuck that minus button....

They could have placed it next to the plus button and it would have been perfect....

But no....

They chose to copy the Joy-Cons without much thought as to actually improve the Switch Lite button layout....

Fucking Nintendo....

Last edited:

Aki

I beat DOOM on my Switch Lite last night....

And I swear it still has the best end credits I have ever witnessed in a video game....

DOOM 2016 to me is what OG DOOM is to many people. First DOOM that I played was 3 and that was more of a reimagining of the first game and did not have the gameplay the series is known for. DOOM 2016 is an all-time classic imo.

Menashe

This is all I ask as well. Lemme introduce my kids to a REAL Paper Mario game, not like the lite versions they make these days. And Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, etc

Aki

To anyone in the path of Laura and Marco, my thoughts and prayers are with you. My area of FL is lucky enough not to be affected, but I saw it was going after Louisiana and Texas. Then Laura was headed toward KY and Matt.
Stay safe everyone!
I think Louisiana is good for the hurricane today. I’m in New Orleans and the general belief is that we good today. Not sure about Wednesday. Stay safe sj, Steve as well, you too @mattavelle1 and @simplyTravis. I think I got all of us coastal southerners.

sjmartin79

I think Louisiana is good for the hurricane today. I’m in New Orleans and the general belief is that we good today. Not sure about Wednesday. Stay safe sj, Steve as well, you too @mattavelle1 and @simplyTravis. I think I got all of us coastal southerners.
Stay safe Wednesday and Thursday, Aki! It says will be major hitting LA now. I know you're out of the cone, but could definitely get some tropical storm winds and rain.
And to @simplyTravis in Texas, not sure what part, but it doesn't look good for coastal TX and their eastern boarder. Stay safe.

Make sure your Switches are charged in case the power goes out.

Aki

Stay safe Wednesday and Thursday, Aki! It says will be major hitting LA now. I know you're out of the cone, but could definitely get some tropical storm winds and rain.
And to @simplyTravis in Texas, not sure what part, but it doesn't look good for coastal TX and their eastern boarder. Stay safe.

Make sure your Switches are charged in case the power goes out.
I believe our man Travis is in Beaumont, TX.

Aki

So I've been messing around with my new switch lite for about a day now. Sure enough, my L button has a little more play than the R button like I've read. It's still 100% functional so it doesn't bother me until my ocd kicks in. Overall, I like the lite a lot more than the flagship console. Screen is a little worse, but ergonomics and battery are waaaay better.

Aki

What are everyone's thoughts on the Switch Pro rumors for 2021?
Excited?
What are you hopes for improvements?
At what price point, would you upgrade?
Not even on my radar until Nintendo confirms it and shows off its capabilities. If it's simply a new base model that outputs 1080p+ then you can count me out. I don't ever play my switch docked which is what prompted me to get a lite. In order for me to get one, it would either have to definitively be the switch 2 or Nintendo would have to segment their user base and lock all upcoming exclusives behind the pro model. Unless it's gonna be the size of a lite and better then I will get it no prob.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
What are everyone's thoughts on the Switch Pro rumors for 2021?
Excited?
What are you hopes for improvements?
At what price point, would you upgrade?
It depends on if Nintendo treats the Switch more as a handheld, or more like a home console. They can go the New 3DS route, or the PS4 Pro route.

If the former, maybe a 1080p OLED screen, video output for 4K (not for games, for video services), an internal scaler for 4K (just to match TV screens, not native), and a slightly nicer CPU (for faster loads, could iron out some framerate issues in more demanding games). If the latter? Whew. We're awfully close to a next gen launch. That gets a little dicey, which is why I doubt Nintendo would do it...although I think that would be the exciting option.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I'm not* upgrading until a full-scale new Switch.

Unless there's an upgraded Switch that plays Monster Hunter World.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I don’t feel like I’ve spent money since the damn Rona dun hit lol. I don’t have many things I spend the cheese on so yeah I’ll take it like the dirty nintendo hooker I am.

Really I just want this. A Switch that can run Monster Hunter World, and please give us the CoD remakes so we can have a FPS to play online. (I don’t ask for Nintendo games anymore because we all know they gonna make it)

With Nintendo I’d be a tad nervous about a Switch 1.5. New 3DS XL got some exclusives, SNES games, and a few base 3DS games ran like garbage. I tried the demo for Hey Pikmin and it runs bad. I’m not a stickler for frame rates, but even this was enough to make me not get the game.

Whose to say Metroid Prime 4 or BOTW 2 won’t run poorly on the base Switch? They may offer n64 or GBA games on the new model only too. I don’t have a 4K tv so I never felt like I had to upgrade my PS4, but with Nintendo? Up in the air.

If it’s just an update like what it was last year, better battery, etc, then that’s fine. But a Switch Pro? That would make me nervous.

sjmartin79

I don’t feel like I’ve spent money since the damn Rona dun hit lol. I don’t have many things I spend the cheese on so yeah I’ll take it like the dirty nintendo hooker I am.

Really I just want this. A Switch that can run Monster Hunter World, and please give us the CoD remakes so we can have a FPS to play online. (I don’t ask for Nintendo games anymore because we all know they gonna make it)
Yeah, I'm with Matt on this one. I love my regular Switch, but if they come out with a new one that is more powerful with better graphics, I'll be there on Day 1 to get a new one.
I love my joycons, but if they find a way to prevent drift, even better. (I have Purple and Blue joycons, and it makes me happy)
I definitely still want to be able to switch between handheld and docked play. I do handheld 95% of the time, but i still want the option for steve and I (or a group, when groups are a thing again) to play together.

I half watched that Gamescon show today, pretty tame. A lot of same-y looking multiplayer games these days. Little Nightmares 2 got my attention, haven't played the first one so I'm gonna buy that tonight. I was looking forward to the trailer for the remake or sequel to Monster World IV, but apparently that's Saturday. I was impressed with that Medal of Honor trailer, shame it's VR exclusive. Lego Star Wars seems fun as well. 12 Minutes also seems very interesting, I just wish I knew how it played. Other than that, can't say anything's really grabbing me.

I guess that's games in 2020 as a whole though. It dawned on me the other day I only played three games this year from 2020. Resident Evil 3, Trials of Mana and DOOM Eternal. Only other games I was interested in but didn't get was Final Fantasy 7 and Xenoblade...more remakes haha. A lot of AAA games just aren't appealing to me these days. I was excited for Ghost of Tsushima until I watched some reviews and it felt like every other Ubisoft-styled open world. When I look back at the list of games I've played recently in Kark's thread, the majority of them are indie games filled with charm, or older games I already knew like Resident Evil 4 or Kirby.

I'm actually fine with a slower year. I'm currently plugging away at Xenoblade 2 - Torna. Gonna buy Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom alongside Little Nightmares tonight. Other than that, my gaming this year was either replaying games or buying the few that I missed out on. As someone who hates having a backlog, it's quite refreshing.

Finished reading the last 007 novel, all I got left from Ian Fleming is 4 short stories. Kinda sad to see it finished now. Besides a couple, all the books were good to fantastic.

I also did a drawing tonight I wasn't happy with, but they can't all be winners.

And that's my 2020 in a nutshell: games, books and drawing.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm still plugging away at Witcher 3. Working on some of the DLC now. In the main story, I'm to the final battle, but wanted to do some DLC first.
I'm still absolutely loving this game. I'll be sad when it's over. But I've been working on it for awhile now, so it will be time.
Then it will be on to Wonderful 101 Remake.
I always love seeing your name pop up and what your playing Sjm. My boys are way into Smash, so I’m right along with them we play atleast an hour every night.

MANGANian

I've heard about this Switch Pro so many times that I don't even consider it a thing. No doubt we'd get something like that later down the road, but it would probably be Nintendo's next-gen console than simply a "Pro" version. Making a Pro version of the console doesn't seem to make much sense at this point in time. Heck, a Pro version of the PS4 didn't make much sense to me either.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I've heard about this Switch Pro so many times that I don't even consider it a thing. No doubt we'd get something like that later down the road, but it would probably be Nintendo's next-gen console than simply a "Pro" version. Making a Pro version of the console doesn't seem to make much sense at this point in time. Heck, a Pro version of the PS4 didn't make much sense to me either.
I also think it will be a next full blown console. That being said there is a “new” 3DS and a Switch Lite so WTF knows

Aki

I'm having one hell of a night so far. Went to the gas station to fill up my car, gas station is closed. Get to new gas station, my card isn't working. Call them, seems like someone tried to hack your account blah blah blah. I come home ready to open up a bottle of wine and the cork won't come out. It's a good thing I'm at home because I'm ready to fuck something up

Edit: and I left my switch lite in the car and the driveway is like a mile away. fuck this

Last edited:

MANGANian

I already have my pre-order for the All Stars 3D collection! Cannot wait to play Sunshine!
And I'll be double dipping with 3D World (aka Cat Mario) when the time comes.
Same. I got part of my wish. I'm just glad I can finally play Sunshine again. My Gamecube lens gave out on me last week, so now it joins my Wii as items I need to fix.

3D World and 3D Land are my least favourite 3D Mario games, but the extra content has me intrigued.

My gawd, if you guys were ever on the fence about playing Sayonara Wild Hearts, please do. The game is really short. You can finish it in about 90 minutes, but the amount of style and charm this damn game has just made me so god-damn happy. This is a quality indie-game, and I can only think about playing it again.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I’m fr out on stealing, especially if it’s a multi billion company. They have the tools and revenue to know when something has or Hasent been paid for no matter how good we believe our personal security is.

It’s the rights and IPs to sell how they wish, it’s our right weither to continue to give more money to a billion dollar company. Just don’t buy it, stealing it isn’t goin to change anything and you will look worse as a consumer in there eyes and we will have to continue down the path of digital so they can track who pays and who dosent.

I'm probably not gonna buy it just because I already have them. I usually don't buy ports/remasters if I have the original, unless it's on a system I don't have hooked up or for convenience sake. I have no problem plugging in the 64 to buy the OG.

Wind Waker HD? I bought that, mostly for the quick sail haha. Twilight Princess HD, I didn't because there didn't seem to be a lot of QoL updates so I have no issue sticking with the original. If this was Mario 64 remade in the Odyssey engine I probably would buy it. Remakes are something I'll be more interested in like Link's Awakening on Switch or the 64 Zeldas on 3DS.

The way I look at it is this: my first console was a SNES so I missed out on the NES. If it wasn't for Mario All-Stars I would have missed out on Mario 1-3 for a lot longer. I'm all for old games on new consoles. Then again, and I can't believe I'm complementing them, Activision did a few remake of 3 Crash games and 3 Spyro games for less than full price. So I can see why some people would be miffed. This is Nintendo though, who sold Tropical Freeze on Switch at a higher price than what it launched as on Wii U.

Then again...this is probably worth it if they allow to non-invert the camera in Sunshine.

Last edited:

MANGANian

I'm most likely going to pirate the 3D All-Stars Collection on my og jailbroken permanently docked Switch. There is no way in hell that I'm giving Nintendo $60 + tax for file transferring a N64 rom, a GCN.iso and a Wii.iso. There aren't even any improvements except for upping the resolution. The reason why I am usually so disgusted with Nintendo is because they stoop to new lows all the time. I can understand if they were a startup and needed to do this kind of stuff to get by (Not wanting to fix joy-con drift for free, artificial wii shortage...), but they are a multi-billion-dollar corporation. Nintendo probably invented the ancient Chinese saying of a fool and his money are easily parted.
Well, I wouldn't say upping the resolution was the only improvement. Sunshine seems to run at 60fps this time nope, still 30fps, and then there's the real benefit of being on a newer console, most importantly on a portable one. Mario Galaxy's star mechanic was tailored to the touch screen. In a perfect world, I would've loved a remake, particularly Sunshine (some new Fludd-less levels would've been awesome), but I'm satisfied with what I got. $60 does seem like a lot, but Nintendo sorta always price their games at a premium anyway.

Last edited: