The Great CT - Community Thread

Aki

I'm probably not gonna buy it just because I already have them. I usually don't buy ports/remasters if I have the original, unless it's on a system I don't have hooked up or for convenience sake. I have no problem plugging in the 64 to buy the OG.

Wind Waker HD? I bought that, mostly for the quick sail haha. Twilight Princess HD, I didn't because there didn't seem to be a lot of QoL updates so I have no issue sticking with the original. If this was Mario 64 remade in the Odyssey engine I probably would buy it. Remakes are something I'll be more interested in like Link's Awakening on Switch or the 64 Zeldas on 3DS.

The way I look at it is this: my first console was a SNES so I missed out on the NES. If it wasn't for Mario All-Stars I would have missed out on Mario 1-3 for a lot longer. I'm all for old games on new consoles. Then again, and I can't believe I'm complementing them, Activision did a few remake of 3 Crash games and 3 Spyro games for less than full price. So I can see why some people would be miffed. This is Nintendo though, who sold Tropical Freeze on Switch at a higher price than what it launched as on Wii U.

Then again...this is probably worth it if they allow to non-invert the camera in Sunshine.
A lot of remasters that release on PC are usually free if you own the og version. A lot of these games are sure fire sellers such as Skyrim, Dark Souls 1&2, Borderlands series... Then you have companies like Rare who do Rare Replay and MS who did Halo MCC. Also, Witcher 3 another sure fire seller is being given away for free next-gen to previous owners across PC, PS, and Xbox. It's just Nintendo being their typical greedy selves as if they're new to the block. And to top it off, they are making a digital game limited... You can't make this up and I really don't think anyone here would be defending this if it weren't Nintendo.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
A lot of remasters that release on PC are usually free if you own the og version. A lot of these games are sure fire sellers such as Skyrim, Dark Souls 1&2, Borderlands series... Then you have companies like Rare who do Rare Replay and MS who did Halo MCC. Also, Witcher 3 another sure fire seller is being given away for free next-gen to previous owners across PC, PS, and Xbox. It's just Nintendo being their typical greedy selves as if they're new to the block. And to top it off, they are making a digital game limited... You can't make this up and I really don't think anyone here would be defending this if it weren't Nintendo.
I don’t think anyone is really defending it. It’s a personal thing across the board. YOU me or anyone can buy / not buy / or steal. That’s all of our personal choices nobody’s really on a bandwagon it seems to defend what Nintendo does here.

Your doin a great job tho Aki trying to form a posse to get on your side tho. Keep up the good work I hope you destroy Nintendo with your actions.

I don't blame anyone for scoffing at Nintendo for a full price collection of three ports. But let's not pretend other companies' shit don't stink either. Master Chief Collection was broken for ages. Recently Mafia 2 Definitive Edition released, it too was/is broken and a worse version than the original, but now I can't even buy the original on Steam, so the best option seems to be to buy a used PS3 copy. I like how many PS1 and PS2 games are available to purchase on the PS3, but PS4 has no options to buy PS1, and a limited selection of PS2 games.

My perfect world is a joint system of Virtual Console and streaming. Ideally I could buy a game for cheap, or just stream a bunch of oldies. Shame the virtual console is not on Switch, but personally I still have the Wii and Wii U hooked up. I'm not the kind of person to get rid of old systems when the new one comes out, hence why I tend to stick to the originals unless it's a full remake.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
The way I look at it is this: my first console was a SNES so I missed out on the NES. If it wasn't for Mario All-Stars I would have missed out on Mario 1-3 for a lot longer. I'm all for old games on new consoles.
Same.

I mean, I had an urge to play Ikaruga a few years ago, but didn't have my Wii handy (boxed up), and eBay prices for a GC copy weren't cheap (perusing eBay now...$60 to $75). They re-release* it on Switch for $15, and I was on it. Were there any real improvements? Nope. Did I care? Nope. I paid for convenience and thought it was a fair price. YMMV.

The new limited edition physical copy with a little model ship is $60.

Is the 3D Mario collection fairly priced? Well, it's Nintendo, so I would've assumed a "greatest hits" sort of $20 per game price. Seems fair to me. I ain't gonna buy it, but that's because I'm not really interested in Sunshine, could still pop Galaxy into my Wii U, and SM64 simply doesn't set my loins ablaze. YMMV.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Did the Xbox just get murdered? Or does Mircosoft has something up their sleeve, because that was mental! It's Song though, so I still find it hard to believe everything will go as planned.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Final Fantasy 16 looks awesome. Resident Evil 8 isn't impressing me as much as I thought it would, but that's fine because I trust the Capcom with RE these days. Demon's Souls looks like the same bullshit but beautiful and I love it. Everything else I didn't really care much for, but those 3 things are enough to get me hyped.

Sad about not getting any Elden Ring gameplay yet, though. Maybe at TGS.

MANGANian

Final Fantasy 16 looks awesome. Resident Evil 8 isn't impressing me as much as I thought it would, but that's fine because I trust the Capcom with RE these days. Demon's Souls looks like the same bullshit but beautiful and I love it. Everything else I didn't really care much for, but those 3 things are enough to get me hyped.

Sad about not getting any Elden Ring gameplay yet, though. Maybe at TGS.
Haven't you heard? Elden Ring is vaporware. It doesn't exist for me until I can buy it. I'm not making that mistake of looking forward to something that might never come.

PS5 is $630 Canadian. Games are also getting a $10 increase, so my province’s tax makes games well over 100.

Gonna wait for next gen like usual. Took me two years to buy a Switch and three for the PS4 I think, so this ain’t gonna be different. Probably gonna get a new laptop soon, as I’ve been meaning to upgrade mine for awhile.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
What an amazing video! And I just learned how to properly pronounce your last name.
The work you do is pure art. Just truly beautiful.
I greatly appreciate you watching Sjm! Now as to the properness of me saying our last name. Where I’m from that how we say it. For the rest of the world it’s probably more along the lines of say how people pronounce Abbot & Lou Costello

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I greatly appreciate you watching Sjm! Now as to the properness of me saying our last name. Where I’m from that how we say it. For the rest of the world it’s probably more along the lines of say how people pronounce Abbot & Lou Costello
Yeah, I thought it was like Abbot and Costello.

I forgot to ask, in the video, there were guys around a table hammering on what looked like squares of smooth rock, but only focusing on one side.
What were they doing there?
(Super intrigued by all that goes into your creations.)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

I forgot to ask, in the video, there were guys around a table hammering on what looked like squares of smooth rock, but only focusing on one side.
Excellent question Sjm. First tell me how BA that Mario Collection is, it’s hard for me not to just go buy it and sink all my time into it right now.

That was me cutting that specific stone. I was cutting a corner stone that’s why I was out on the end like that. Corner stones are 90 degrees L’s basically. I have to hand cut the front and the side together.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

We are gonna put out a process video next and there setting us up a YouTube channel (if it’s not up already) but I’ll link them here for you guys and I greatly appreciate all yalls feedback and encouragement.

Also to answer your question again I just went and watched the video again. One of my guys is hammering on the smooth side of a stone. If you pause it you will see that stone has a “shell” on it. He’s takin off the shell and that actually the bottom of the stone so no matter what he does to it, it will forever be hidden by mortar.

sjmartin79

We are gonna put out a process video next and there setting us up a YouTube channel (if it’s not up already) but I’ll link them here for you guys and I greatly appreciate all yalls feedback and encouragement.

Also to answer your question again I just went and watched the video again. One of my guys is hammering on the smooth side of a stone. If you pause it you will see that stone has a “shell” on it. He’s takin off the shell and that actually the bottom of the stone so no matter what he does to it, it will forever be hidden by mortar.
That's so cool. Yes, please put any videos on here. Would love to see more.

And so far, the Mario 3D All stars has been amazing! It was an early birthday present to myself. Steve2 and I have been playing Sunshine, and we're having a blast. I only ever played the game once when I first got it for Gamecube, so it's great to go back and play it like 20 years later. It's held up really well, and damn is it challenging. Definitely some levels that make you truly earn it.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
With a prequel spin-off and a direct sequel, I wonder if BOTW turned into a sort of restart of the franchise. Can't help but wonder what's beyond BOTW 2.
A 4th Timeline breakaway.

There's Child Link, Adult Link, and Fallen Hero time lines for OoT. Add a forth one after Majora's Mask (so Child Timeline) where the world ends, and Link could not save Termina because he chose to go back in time (argue that Link only had to do this once, and was able to fight through the four dungeons in 72 hours, and defeat Majora the second go around) , thus creating a new timeline where everything dies. Call it The Legend of Zelda: Wrath of Ganon or something. Ganon escapes like he did in Twilight Princess, but this time he is able to roam free, and create a new Hyrule under his new Empire. The Seven Sages use their remaining powers to "create" a new hero for Hyrule, and a new adult Link is dropped into Hyrule with only his sword, and shield. Like Botw, he must traverse across the landscape, finding whatever means he can to craft, and survive, plus defeating any resistance along the way. If you thought BOTW was barren, this is practically Post-Apocalyptic. Occasionally, Zelda appears as a ghost much like Obi-Wan does for Luke Skywalker in the Original Trilogy, providing guidance.

Also like BotW, you can climb any surface, and are able to take over any dungeon at your leisure, but this time each dungeon is more varied, and has a more distinct purpose like a castle/fort that keeps certain regions in check.

Sound good?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Microsoft announced the acquisition of ZeniMax and all of its subsidiaries. Holy shit. Talk about fuck you money.
I think it’s a good move, really Microsoft and Atleast Bethesda and ID those games have always shown up and sold consoles for Xbox. In the big picture I think this is a much bigger blow for Sony. Many of these games on both systems kinda line up with each other.

Nintendo would miss DooM fo sho, but really none of the other big titles that they just acquired showed up on Nintendo’s consoles anyhow.

MANGANian

Microsoft isn't keeping titles like Doom or Wolfenstein off other platforms anytime soon. Microsoft is more concerned with making bank and maintaining service "goodwill" than exclusivity wars. The only games I can see being exclusive to Windows and the Xbox series would be any new IP that ID and Bethesda decide to cook up. Microsoft already seems to have a good relationship with Nintendo, so I'm not worried about that. If there's any existing IP that I'm not sure about, it's Elder Scrolls. It screams like something Microsoft would love to make a timed exclusive.

Doom 2016's end credits sequence is amazing! Doom 2016's end credits sequence is amazing! Doom 2016's end credits sequence is amazing!
DOOM 2016's END CREDITS SEQUENCE IS AMAZING!

As tradition, I will avoid playing Mario 64 because I know my nostalgia is not enough to mask how awful that game feels to play now. I'm about halfway through the main game of Sunshine; not bad for 4 hours. It took me a while to get used to the reversed controls for FLUDD, but it's good now. I still can't get enough of the Pianta dance. Not being 60fps is a major bummer, but I can deal with that. I'm leaving Galaxy for last because I already know how darn amazing that game still is.

I think I'm getting an Xbox this gen. Granted, with MS buying Bethesda and Sony getting Final Fantasy 16, I think this gen is going hard on the big exclusives. Ultimately, I'll end up with both though. My line of thinking is I love the studios MS just bought, ID, Machine Games, Tango and Arkane. They made some of my favorite games this gen. DOOM, Prey, Wolfenstein New Order, Evil Within 1 & 2.

Also, I never played the 360 or One, and I didn't play much on the original Xbox, so I essentially got 4 generations worth of gaming to me. That's insane value for a non-Xbox gamer.

My plan is to then wait for the inevitable PS5 Slim model, or for big price drops for the few exclusives Sony will get that I'm interested in.

Crazy times. I'm gonna get an Xbox, and Monster Hunter Rise looks interesting to me. What have I become?

A 4th Timeline breakaway.

There's Child Link, Adult Link, and Fallen Hero time lines for OoT. Add a forth one after Majora's Mask (so Child Timeline) where the world ends, and Link could not save Termina because he chose to go back in time (argue that Link only had to do this once, and was able to fight through the four dungeons in 72 hours, and defeat Majora the second go around) , thus creating a new timeline where everything dies. Call it The Legend of Zelda: Wrath of Ganon or something. Ganon escapes like he did in Twilight Princess, but this time he is able to roam free, and create a new Hyrule under his new Empire. The Seven Sages use their remaining powers to "create" a new hero for Hyrule, and a new adult Link is dropped into Hyrule with only his sword, and shield. Like Botw, he must traverse across the landscape, finding whatever means he can to craft, and survive, plus defeating any resistance along the way. If you thought BOTW was barren, this is practically Post-Apocalyptic. Occasionally, Zelda appears as a ghost much like Obi-Wan does for Luke Skywalker in the Original Trilogy, providing guidance.

Also like BotW, you can climb any surface, and are able to take over any dungeon at your leisure, but this time each dungeon is more varied, and has a more distinct purpose like a castle/fort that keeps certain regions in check.

Sound good?
Eh, I'm over the timeline since they changed it in another book. Considering BOTW has references to most games, and they don't seem to care in interviews, neither do I. If it has the same Link like Ocarina and Majora, then fine, but other than that, each game is it's own Legend as far as I look at it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I think I'm getting an Xbox this gen. Granted, with MS buying Bethesda and Sony getting Final Fantasy 16, I think this gen is going hard on the big exclusives. Ultimately, I'll end up with both though. My line of thinking is I love the studios MS just bought, ID, Machine Games, Tango and Arkane. They made some of my favorite games this gen. DOOM, Prey, Wolfenstein New Order, Evil Within 1 & 2.

Also, I never played the 360 or One, and I didn't play much on the original Xbox, so I essentially got 4 generations worth of gaming to me. That's insane value for a non-Xbox gamer.

My plan is to then wait for the inevitable PS5 Slim model, or for big price drops for the few exclusives Sony will get that I'm interested in.

Crazy times. I'm gonna get an Xbox, and Monster Hunter Rise looks interesting to me. What have I become?
Can’t wait to have you on MH:R if you get it

Aki

I think in the short term, Microsoft’s acquisition of ZeniMax will only boost Microsoft’s sales and not have as much of an impact on Sony and Nintendo as Microsoft said they will honor the previously agreed upon exclusitivity contracts for games like Deathloop. However, they made it pretty clear that all games releasing in 2021 and forward which is when the acquisition will go through will be evaluated on a case by case basis. As @mattavelle1 has already said a good portion of those series already had their console fan base predominantly on Xbox.

The long term, everyone is taking a hit. Microsoft is now the biggest video game publisher in the world and has as many high profile IPs as Sony and Nintendo combined. All of their games come to GamePass day one. Just on PC, between GamePass and EA Play Pro, you get all of Microsoft’s content day one and all of EA’s stuff a week prior to retail for about $30 a month. It’s gonna get to a point where it’s a no brainer to either buy a Xbox or use game pass on PC.

Overall though I think Sony will be effected the most depending on how MS handles the exclusitivity scenario moving forward. If it decides to keep everything as a windows / Xbox exclusive than PS will become just like Nintendo. A dedicated device for a handful of Sony IPs.

@CitizenOfVerona FFXVI is a timed console exclusive for PS5. Will be launching on Xbox a year later. It’s also coming out to PC.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

I'm in the same boat. While I don't plan on getting a Series S this year, there is a treasure trove of multiple generations of Xbox games on Game Pass as we speak, and would be great to finally play some of those. That being said, having discs to play some old Xbox games (if they'll even work) would be great to have also, so a Series X might instead be the culprit via All Access. 25/month vs. 35/month for 24 months. Either way, bargain of the century for gaming, and as I pointed out on Discord, it could have some serious implications for the future of gaming, and how we access it.

I'm in the same boat. While I don't plan on getting a Series S this year, there is a treasure trove of multiple generations of Xbox games on Game Pass as we speak, and would be great to finally play some of those. That being said, having discs to play some old Xbox games (if they'll even work) would be great to have also, so a Series X might instead be the culprit via All Access. 25/month vs. 35/month for 24 months. Either way, bargain of the century for gaming, and as I pointed out on Discord, it could have some serious implications for the future of gaming, and how we access it.
FAQ from the Series X's website

To play a backward compatible game, insert the disc or search your library and select the game you want to play.

It's weird, I'm more excited about played the old Splinter Cells on newer hardware without having to resort to the botched HD Collection than a lot of newer games haha

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I have a few questions for those of you living in the US. It's been burning my soul for the past weeks. When a game's markup price is $70, is it tax inclusive or exclusive? Are videogame products exclusive of consoles taxed at all?
The $70 would be pre-tax, meaning we'd end up paying more or less $76 to the store for the game. The actual sales tax rate varies by state.

Aki

The $70 would be pre-tax, meaning we'd end up paying more or less $76 to the store for the game. The actual sales tax rate varies by state.
@MANGANian Pretty much this. It can also vary by counties / parishes within the state. In PA, the tax always ended up about 7%. In New Orleans, it’s about 10% and where I live in New Orleans (French quarter) the taxes are closer to 13% since it’s a historical district and I guess they need to perserve it. Also, tax is never included in the advertised retail price.

MANGANian

"I'm Thinking of Ending Things" is so much misery porn that it's next to Midsommar as another movie I don't want to ever see again. Good movie, the car scenes dragged a lot, I'm also a sucker for constantly shifting sets and characters in movies, the soundtrack is my favourite, but never again.

Aki

So it’s been years and ppl still haven’t figured me out. Basically when I get bored I go on the internet and start trolling ppl unless there are ppl around me and then I will start messing with them. I guess it’s just in my nature to be mischievous. I’m taking these what you could call SJW classes and essentially I’m being told that I can’t act the way I do anymore because society has moved past the 90s boys club vibe. Part of me doesn’t like where this is going as I’ve already had to take classes for anger management / self control. Part of me feels like I’m being domesticated. Anyway, this is a public apology to all the users here who may have fell victim to my antics. I know it’s not much by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s a start. Have a good one guys.

sjmartin79

Eh, I'm over the timeline since they changed it in another book. Considering BOTW has references to most games, and they don't seem to care in interviews, neither do I. If it has the same Link like Ocarina and Majora, then fine, but other than that, each game is it's own Legend as far as I look at it.
I'm with you there. If the games are directly connected like you mentioned, then yes, I care. But if it's like Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask, I don't need to know where they fall in the timeline relative to each other. It's a different link, hundreds of years apart. I'm good.

sjmartin79

So, I received some eShop gift cards. Now I'm trying to decide what to spend them on. I usually only do eShop for things that are digital only.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Right now, I'm looking at Hades, some of the Resident Evil games I didn't play, and others.
Any recommendations are welcome!

So, I received some eShop gift cards. Now I'm trying to decide what to spend them on. I usually only do eShop for things that are digital only.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Right now, I'm looking at Hades, some of the Resident Evil games I didn't play, and others.
Any recommendations are welcome!
Not sure what Resident Evil games you’ve played but 1 Remake and 4 are some of my favourites. Zero is okay but has some design choices that make it one of the weaker Classic-styled games. 4 is a masterpiece. 5 and 6 are best in co-op, but they run better on other consoles.

Revelations 1 I’m not really a fan of. Rev 2 is better but still can’t really compare to the best of the series. I think that’s all the Switch Resis.

Other than that nothing is coming to mind. I don’t use the Switch often these days, and most 3rd parties I’ll get on another system

MANGANian

I'm afraid of replaying RE4 because I really want to hold on to my memory that it's still a top-tier RE.

I'm replaying Sunshine at the moment, 61 shines in, and I'm not liking the game as much as I did back then. The good parts are still really good, I've become much better at controlling those boats, but my love for the FLUDD-less levels did a complete 180 compared to being obsessed with those levels back then. I absolutely dread them now. They do nothing but stress me out, even when I don't die in them. It's very strange.

I also didn't realise how much this game heavily punishes you for failing in certain Shine quests, heavily punishes you for succeeding certain Shine quests, and how much the camera tends to get caught in geometry unless you reset the camera. The frustrating challenges that were frustrating back then are even more unbearable now. I still like the game. I just no longer love it, and I have a really strong feeling this has something to do with the extra-sensitivity of the joy-con analog sticks. It sucks that I can't just use a Gamecube controller.

I'm 60% done with Ori and the Blind Forest. Recently I've been procrastinating with everything; work, personal projects, even gaming. Hopefully, I get over this quickly. I don't want to have my personal project following me into 2021. 8 months have passed since then.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

This weekend, after Wonderful 101, I started playing "Hades", and oh my goodness!
I'm addicted and obsessed!

Even though it is "rogue-like", there were seems to be more thought and care put into it. There's an overarching story, and having to restart plays perfectly into that. The visuals are beautiful. The voice acting is stellar. The controls are tight. Nothing feels cheap.

There definitely is a learning curve. When you get to, and beat, the first boss, absolutely a sense of accomplishment.
Lots of unlockables. Like so many.

If you're looking for a game for Switch right now, I highly recommend this one.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
This weekend, after Wonderful 101, I started playing "Hades", and oh my goodness!
I'm addicted and obsessed!

Even though it is "rogue-like", there were seems to be more thought and care put into it. There's an overarching story, and having to restart plays perfectly into that. The visuals are beautiful. The voice acting is stellar. The controls are tight. Nothing feels cheap.

There definitely is a learning curve. When you get to, and beat, the first boss, absolutely a sense of accomplishment.
Lots of unlockables. Like so many.

If you're looking for a game for Switch right now, I highly recommend this one.
I've had my eye on this, I'll definitely get it at some point, though I'll probably wait for a sale since I've got a lot of stuff to play.

sjmartin79

Is anyone watching "The Boys" on Prime?
Definitely a different take on super heroes than has ever been done before.

I have such a deep, visceral hate for Homelander.
We just binged season 2. I'm interested to see where they take Season 3 from here.

MANGANian

Is anyone watching "The Boys" on Prime?
Definitely a different take on super heroes than has ever been done before.

I have such a deep, visceral hate for Homelander.
We just binged season 2. I'm interested to see where they take Season 3 from here.
My Deja vu is off the roots right now. I swear I've seen this post before.

I've been watching it weekly. The weekly experience was a painful one. I hope they don't do that again. Having read the comics before, I like season 2 a lot more than season 1. The versions of these characters are really enjoyable, especially Starlight, A-Train, and Deep, who are vast improvements over their comic versions. The Butcher is probably the one character change I'm a bit disappointed about. He's largely the same, but Amazon Butcher tends to plan on the fly where comic Butcher is more methodical and does everything, down to seemingly throwaway lines, with purpose.

Overall, the series is worth watching. My biggest complaint is that unlike the comics, the show has a bad habit of
putting the characters into impossible situations and having things turn out fine. The Boys should've all died when Homelander was searching for them back in season 1. Seems like his X-ray vision and super-hearing just magically turn off whenever he's in the presence of the main characters. Mother's Milk is significantly weaker in the show, even though he's supposed to be an army vet with super-human strength and defense.

sjmartin79

My Deja vu is off the roots right now. I swear I've seen this post before.

I've been watching it weekly. The weekly experience was a painful one. I hope they don't do that again.
I'm glad we binged the seasons. I don't think I could have waited with each of them this season.

Did you watch "Watchmen" on HBO?
We started watching that yesterday. 3 episodes in now.
Super well done. Acting is amazing.