The Great CT - Community Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Okay, I have to talk about Hades again.

I'm still loving this game so much. Steve2 is addicted.
You just want to keep playing. And dying just gives you the opportunity to fun things in the Underworld then go again.
I'll probably be playing this till Hyrule Warriors comes out in November.
Ima have to YouTube this one and see what’s goin on here.

Aki

I've been playing Outer Worlds and FIFA on PC as of late. Outer Worlds is a really cool game. I like it a lot. It's like Fallout 4, but with better writing and story. It's on Switch and I highly recommend checking it out. I'm patiently waiting for PS5 & XSX (will probably be my console of choice) and then Cyberpunk like right after that which I'll be picking up on PC.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I’ve been seein you get on like every night
What can I say.... I'm a glutton for punishment....

I've been playing Outer Worlds and FIFA on PC as of late. Outer Worlds is a really cool game. I like it a lot. It's like Fallout 4, but with better writing and story. It's on Switch and I highly recommend checking it out. I'm patiently waiting for PS5 & XSX (will probably be my console of choice) and then Cyberpunk like right after that which I'll be picking up on PC.
I wonder if Nintendo Switch will ever get a version of Cyberpunk....

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Seems like everyone is enjoying their respective videogame playthroughs. Just last night, I was trying to stop playing Mortal Shell. The game has the most confusing hub-world. It's awful for players new to these types of games, but just the fact that I had no idea where I was going just gave me the incentive to just explore more. Then in the morning, a much-needed free cosmetic update was announced and released. It feels nice that holding off on playing this game worked out for me. A much-needed reveal of a big quality-of-game update for Hearthstone and another reveal of OG Fire Emblem....

It was a great day.

Aki

I'd like to give a round of applause to Microsoft for their efforts with the Xbox Series X. I've been primarily PC gaming the last 3-4 years and have to say that the Series X impressed even me. Meanwhile, I feel like Sony got complacent again. In a way, the PS5 reminds me of the OG Xbox One. Bigger & uglier looking console despite being a lot worse hardware wise, build wise and generally being more expensive w/ software and accessories.

The difference in power between the graphics cards in the consoles is massive. Xbox Series X gpu will be comparable to the 3rd best gpu on the market today, RTX 2080 Super. PS5 even running overclocked while using full power (have to wonder how long the console can actually sustain this), only manages to put up numbers compared to the 8th best gpu on the market currently. This seems to suggest PS5 is not targeting 4k 60fps, but instead 4k 30 or 1440p60. Which is ironic because the PS5 doesn't support 1440p output and as a result will either output in 1080p or upscale to 4K. The Xbox Series S (the weaker version) is even able to output 1440p 60, up to 120fps natively meaning it's perfect for 1440p monitors and it can also upscale to 4K making it acceptable for 4K TVs.

During the PS5 teardown, Sony revealed just how much plastic they're using (isn't the 90s anymore) and that adding an additional ssd will require you to power off the console, remove the plates, connect the ssd, reassemble the console and power it back on. While you may not think this is a big deal, remember the PS5 only has about 624 GB available out of the box. A full install of the latest Call of Duty w/ Warzone is approximately 200GB. Also, the sony rep himself had trouble taking off the plates during their teardown video. Meanwhile, both series of Xbox feature hot swappable, plug n play drives. Meaning you can plug them in and out of any Xbox Series console without shutting off and the console will automatically recognize the drive.

Sony also upped the cost of their games ($60 -> $70) and accessories (DualShock 4 $60 -> Dual Sense $70) this gen while still not addressing the battery in the Dual Sense or offering full b/c. They also let you use your DualShock 4 on PS5 ONLY to play PS4 games implying they're intentially locking out that ability with software. Meanwhile Xbox Series is compatible with all Xbox One accessories, plays all Xbox One, most Xbox 360 and some OG Xbox games all enhanced. Microsoft also offers their entire library on PC and Xbox, Xbox Live Gold (this includes cloud saves, games with gold, discounts, online play...) on both, the ability to stream games and will include access to EA Play all for $15 a month. Reason why the battery is an issue is because at first it starts off with a 5-6 hour battery life and after about a year or two of use that cuts down in half. At least that's what happened with both the DualShock 3 and DualShock 4. After about a decade, the battery will die completely. I have a few DS3s that no longer work. With the Xbox controller, you can use a rechargeable battery pack which can be swapped out once it dies without disassembling the controller, you can use rechargeable AA batteries or keep it old school w/ regular AA batteries. Also, despite having multiple USB ports on the PS5, only one of them actually charges the controller meaning if you want to comfortably have two controllers you need to buy their charge stand.

I can keep going, but will stop trashing the PS5 now. I think I've gotten my disappointment across. I'll still keep my PS5, but can't say it will be seeing much action.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
After checking the CT this morning. Even tho there are a lot of us over at GW on the discord, this is still TNE. I believe this convo should take place in PM if it’s to go on any longer.

MANGANian

So uh, anyone tried the Control demo yet? If you did, did you actually get to play any gameplay at all? This is my first* experience with Cloud gaming. There was a long queue just to get the play the thing, and when you do, all you just do is pick up folders and board an elevator. I'm a bit blown away by the fact that there was very little noticeable lag. It was all consistent and looked good, but I never got to experience the game where it would've mattered, which would've been during performance-heavy and bandwidth-heavy scenarios such as combat.

So I'm really confused what's the point of this demo at all. It felt like I just wasted 15mins of my time.

NMH 1&2 coming to the e-shop was the highlight of the entire Direct-mini. I was expecting it, but not this soon. I haven't finished either thanks to my a dead Wii disc-reader. I currently have too many things I have to prioritise spending on to get NMH now, thanks to some sudden developments at the worst possible moments, but I'm glad the option is there.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I have to admit, NMH feels a lot different without motion controls, but after you get used to it, it feels pretty damn intuitive....

Instead of using motion, you just use the right stick to preform death moves....

I have a regular Switch, but it's broken and won't take a charge....

But I still have my Luigi Green joy-cons, I just have no way to charge them....

Looks like I might have to get a charger for them just for these two games....

Oh the nostalgia.... It is overflowing....

Between playing these and Killer Is Dead on my PC, I'm getting my fill of Suda 51 goodness....

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
This weekend, after Wonderful 101, I started playing "Hades", and oh my goodness!
I'm addicted and obsessed!

Even though it is "rogue-like", there were seems to be more thought and care put into it. There's an overarching story, and having to restart plays perfectly into that. The visuals are beautiful. The voice acting is stellar. The controls are tight. Nothing feels cheap.

There definitely is a learning curve. When you get to, and beat, the first boss, absolutely a sense of accomplishment.
Lots of unlockables. Like so many.

If you're looking for a game for Switch right now, I highly recommend this one.
I watched my friend play this for about an hour last night, and I'm utterly sold.

I was going to try Transistor first, when it goes on sale, but I think Hades has leapfrogged it in my "gotta see what Supergiant Games are all about" queue.

MANGANian

I watched my friend play this for about an hour last night, and I'm utterly sold.

I was going to try Transistor first, when it goes on sale, but I think Hades has leapfrogged it in my "gotta see what Supergiant Games are all about" queue.
Trust me, play Transistor first, then Hades. You wouldn't want to complete Transistor after you've gotten a taste of Hades. I love Bastion and their other games, but Transistor feels less engaging than Supergiant's other stuff. It's their only game I'm struggling to this day to motivate myself enough to finish.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
So uh, anyone tried the Control demo yet? If you did, did you actually get to play any gameplay at all? This is my first* experience with Cloud gaming. There was a long queue just to get the play the thing, and when you do, all you just do is pick up folders and board an elevator. I'm a bit blown away by the fact that there was very little noticeable lag. It was all consistent and looked good, but I never got to experience the game where it would've mattered, which would've been during performance-heavy and bandwidth-heavy scenarios such as combat.

So I'm really confused what's the point of this demo at all. It felt like I just wasted 15mins of my time.

NMH 1&2 coming to the e-shop was the highlight of the entire Direct-mini. I was expecting it, but not this soon. I haven't finished either thanks to my a dead Wii disc-reader. I currently have too many things I have to prioritise spending on to get NMH now, thanks to some sudden developments at the worst possible moments, but I'm glad the option is there.
Yeah Control is very much about the atmosphere and the buildup and the sheer WTF going on in the Bureau. Plopping people down right at the start of the game, where it's trying to build up to the first bombastic moments of gameplay, is somewhat baffling when you consider the short demo timer they went with.

EvilTw1n

Trust me, play Transistor first, then Hades. You wouldn't want to complete Transistor after you've gotten a taste of Hades. I love Bastion and their other games, but Transistor feels less engaging than Supergiant's other stuff. It's their only game I'm struggling to this day to motivate myself enough to finish.
Well, I had enough coins/points to basically get it on sale for free, so I went ahead and got Transistor first. It has intrigued me for awhile now, so I'll give it a whirl.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm intrigued by MH: Rise as well, and I've never played a Monster Hunter game before.
Oooooooooooooooooooo this one is lookin sooooo good Sjm! I’ll say this. If there gonna take the series in this direction for say the next 3 games on Switch or just Nintendo’s consoles. This is the pervebial “first one in the series” and will be a fresh starting point for all hunters.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Just one thing about this port of No More Heroes on the Switch....

They could have tried to port it from the PS3 port of Paradise, but they didn't, and I'm thankful....

While it did look better in some ways, it had some glaring issues, like 30fps - 25fps framerate, and having to click the R3 stick in before you could do death moves....

Instead, they ported the Wii version into a higher resolution and clocked the fps at 60....

And I must say that this port feels more intuitive than that PS3 port ever did....

No clicking the R3 stick and having a solid 60fps framerate make this version on Switch the best I've have ever played without motion controls....

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Just one thing about this port of No More Heroes on the Switch....

They could have tried to port it from the PS3 port of Paradise, but they didn't, and I'm thankful....

While it did look better in some ways, it had some glaring issues, like 30fps - 25fps framerate, and having to click the R3 stick in before you could do death moves....

Instead, they ported the Wii version into a higher resolution and clocked the fps at 60....

And I must say that this port feels more intuitive than that PS3 port ever did....

No clicking the R3 stick and having a solid 60fps framerate make this version on Switch the best I've have ever played without motion controls....
Now that I finished Hades, I'm playing No More Heroes as well. Bringing back such good memories, and I'm having a blast.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Now that I finished Hades, I'm playing No More Heroes as well. Bringing back such good memories, and I'm having a blast.
Just remember....

To see the "true" ending, complete the game with all beam katanas obtained. If you do not have them all by the end of the game, choose to return to Santa Destroy, obtain them, and return to a bathroom to view it....

Happy destroying....

EDIT - No More Heroes down, NMH2 + Travis Strikes Back to go....

I honestly can't wait to play Travis Strikes Back....

I've heard so many bad things about it that I'm sure I'll enjoy it....

Then the wait for NMH3 begins....

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
They need to make a Nintendo Switch commercial where the people in the ad are playing Nintendo Switch instead of paying attention to what they are doing....

Lady is giving birth, breath honey breath....

They looks down at the doctor and instead of him holding a new born baby, he's playing Nintendo Switch....

That's my way to play....

Pan out to massive critical nuclear meltdown at a power plant....

Total chaos....

Pan into a room where there is a stop meltdown button....

Pan to the dude sitting right next to it playing Nintendo Switch....

MANGANian

They need to make a Nintendo Switch commercial where the people in the ad are playing Nintendo Switch instead of paying attention to what they are doing....

Lady is giving birth, breath honey breath....

They looks down at the doctor and instead of him holding a new born baby, he's playing Nintendo Switch....

Pan out to massive critical nuclear meltdown at a power plant....

Total chaos....

Pan into a room where there is a stop meltdown button....

Pan to the dude sitting right next to it playing Nintendo Switch....

Sounds like a Playstation commercial.

I'm replaying Bastion....for the 4th time and only now I found an early NPC I didn't know existed.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Is it wrong that I've had Super Mario Odyssey since its launch and still have yet to beat the game...?

It makes me feel... naughty....

Edit: Finally beat that shit....
It’s Def worth the beat. But not finishing it since launch I can honestly see that, there are so many moons, and worlds that are great to explore. Yeah nothing wrong with not beating right off the bat fo sho

EvilTw1n

I'm intrigued by MH: Rise as well, and I've never played a Monster Hunter game before.
I remember when Tri came out on Wii, and all of the MH faithful dutifully mentioned that the series isn't in any way more than what the name implies.

So I'll be that guy. You hunt monsters; the end. That's the game. Don't expect any Zelda-y sort of adventure, and you'll probably dig it.
Is it wrong that I've had Super Mario Odyssey since its launch and still have yet to beat the game...?
I've had Link's Awakening since launch and still have yet to take it out of the cellophane.

sjmartin79

Almost done with "No More Heroes". I have a couple more days to finish it before Age of Calamity comes out. Super psyched about that game.

How is everyone doing?
We are finally having fall weather here in FL! Got down into the high 50s/low 60s overnight, and will only be in the high 70s today.
Also, for those not familiar, our 70s feel colder than your 70s. You know how in the Spring up north, it will hit the low 50s and you go outside without a jacket and sometimes short sleeves? Low 50s down here means you need a jacket and scarf, and probably seat warmers.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Almost done with "No More Heroes". I have a couple more days to finish it before Age of Calamity comes out. Super psyched about that game.

How is everyone doing?
We are finally having fall weather here in FL! Got down into the high 50s/low 60s overnight, and will only be in the high 70s today.
Also, for those not familiar, our 70s feel colder than your 70s. You know how in the Spring up north, it will hit the low 50s and you go outside without a jacket and sometimes short sleeves? Low 50s down here means you need a jacket and scarf, and probably seat warmers.
Man fr it’s been a shitshow of a year for me on the how’s it’s goin front. The past month has been alright hoping things get better.

So I've seen that a few of you are playing Hyrule Warriors this weekend. Are you enjoying it so far? I am, very much so. Having played the previous Hyrule Warriors game, I knew exactly what to expect, and it hasn't let me down so far. I'm loving the BotW coat of paint and seeing the differences in the world (like having thriving communities in locations that are now ruined). I definitely recommend playing on the 'hard' difficulty, as 'normal' is just a tad too button-mash-y and this way you actually have to think a little bit about tactics and strategies, and you actually have to understand the different characters' play styles and how to use their various combos etc.

sjmartin79

So I've seen that a few of you are playing Hyrule Warriors this weekend. Are you enjoying it so far? I am, very much so. Having played the previous Hyrule Warriors game, I knew exactly what to expect, and it hasn't let me down so far. I'm loving the BotW coat of paint and seeing the differences in the world (like having thriving communities in locations that are now ruined). I definitely recommend playing on the 'hard' difficulty, as 'normal' is just a tad too button-mash-y and this way you actually have to think a little bit about tactics and strategies, and you actually have to understand the different characters' play styles and how to use their various combos etc.
I am loving AoC so much! It took what was great about Hyrule Warriors and ampted it up. I love the differences in the geography. It doesn't feel as flat as Hyrule Warriors did. The graphics are beautiful. I love how the map side quests from the first game are incorporated into the main game. I really don't have any complaints. Love the voice acting. I enjoy the destructability of certain parts of the world.