The Great CT - Community Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Merry Christmas to the best people on the internet. Jesus is born, and our Savior has come!!!

It’s been a year like no other that is for sure to the max. Let us love our family’s and friends in away we haven’t in a longtime. Enjoy lookin around the table as we eat and gather, our thankfulness for those close to us either physically or thru a screen will carry us to a new year.

I love all y’all something crazy, Merry Christmas I hope you all have an amazing day!!!

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
A Belated Merry Christmas to all! We had a quiet Christmas. Exchanged gifts with family from porches and lanais. Steve2 and I spent most of the weekend with just us and the puppy. (We got him a play tent and filled it with ball pit balls, and he loves it!) We played a lot of video games. We watched a lot of movies. We ordered a lot of food. We relaxed and slept and recharged.

I hope you all are doing well and healthy! Sending our love to you!

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Hmm, it's very odd. I wonder what's so different this time? Apparently, when I use the Windows 10 Steam client, I kept getting denied purchases for almost half a year. Sometimes it'd just work, seemingly at random, othertimes I have to hope I don't trigger the dreaded orange error message like I'm in some thriller. I had never considered just using the website instead. But now that I've used the website, I have no issues making purchases. I didn't expect to be so happy over something I take for granted. I basically woke up my neighbors tonight.

I purchased Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so I can finally round out these reboots. I've also purchased Bayonetta. Now that I finally own the game, I can now finish what I've started.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
My early impressions for Doom Eternal on Switch are positive. The games framerate seems to be even more stable than Doom 2016, and that is impressive because the areas are generally bigger with more objects in them. The game seems to stay very tight to the 30fps target 99% of the time. Im sure as I get to some of the crazier battles later on I will experience more dips, but with all the silence that surrounded the Switch build of this game for months, I was a bit worried the game was going to run poorly. The visuals on the other hand do not hold up as well as Doom 2016. The red muddy haze of Hell played nice with low resolution textures and low rendering resolution. There are lot of textures that remind you of games where you can see the textures before they loaded all the way in, except in Doom Eternal they never do load in. Overall Doom Eternal still looks ok on Switch, it is just very washed out and missing a lot of detail compared to the PS4/X1.

The gameplay additions dont take long to be thrown in. You basically start with most if not all your abilities from Doom 2016, but then get a dash mechanic and flamethrower mechanic very early on. They also changed up how they implemented the chainsaw. In Doom 2016, you were very limited on how often you could use it because you needed to wait to find gas, but in Eternal it generates over time, and its crucial that you use it often to maintain ammo. The flamethrower helps get you armor shards, and glory kills give you health. All these things need to be mixed up to often.

Doom 2016 already had a Metroid Prime feel with its platforming, but Eternal takes it even further. Eternal has a ton of platforming, if your like me you will probably enjoy the breaks it gives you from the intense battles, but others who do not care for platforming similar to Metroid Prime, it will probably be a nuisance. Doom Guy is just so mobile. Its fun running, dashing and double jumping your way around the map destroying demons.

Bottom line, if you enjoyed Doom 2016 you will almost certainly enjoy Eternal. The Switch build is very competent and should be considered for those who either dont have access to a better version on another platform or simply people who want to support good ports on Switch.
Ok, so I completed Doom Eternal on I'm Too Young to Die last night. Even on this easy mode, Doom Eternal is still not a walk in the park. At least it wouldn't be if it weren't for the extra lives to be found in this game. Unlike Doom 2016, you can obtain extra lives in Eternal. Doom 2016 was so damn satisfying when making it through a battle because it was all or nothing. You die, you go back to the last check point and try again. Eternal takes some of that achievement away with the introduction of extra lives. I am luke warm on this decision, but it does seem that ID Software made some adjustments to account for this. After completing the game I immediately restarted on Hurt Me Plenty, and boy oh boy was that a reality check. Eternal throws high powered enemies at you much sooner than Doom 2016 did and they do massive damage. In Doom 2016 the player was eased into the action starting with zombies, imps and possessed soldiers, all enemies that do low levels of damage per hit. Eternal throws you right into the frying pan, facing off against enemies in the first level that you didn't see in Doom 2016 until the third level or later. Eternal is more difficult than its predecessor if it weren't for extra lives. Being able to accumulate extra lives is the caveat to that. Will you die more in Eternal than you did in Doom 2016? Probably so, but the extra lives offset that, and in a way this makes Eternal perhaps more accessible to a wider audience than the originals unforgiving nature of battles.

Doom 2016 vs Eternal in the graphics department is not a favorable comparison for Eternal. Doom 2016 while being very soft and blurry was still able to bring the games overall atmosphere to the Switch. The post processing effects and lighting were intact, just at much lower rending resolutions than the PS4/X1 build of the game. Eternal shines where Doom 2016 stumbled, and that is in the framerate department. Eternal holds tight to 30fps 99% of the time. I was shocked how well the game still ran even in the larger areas with far more enemies on screen than Doom 2016 ever presented. Where it doesn't shine is everywhere else. Eternal ends up looking very flat and washed out more often than not. Fully loaded textures look like they are two steps away from being fully loaded. The lighting and depth of field are basically stripped out of this Switch port. Many of the textures in Eternal would be right at home on a Wii game. Yes I said Wii, not Wii U. All in all, Eternal just isn't a good looking game on Switch. Far more so than with Doom 2016, its easy to see just how good the game should look, but the port just isn't able to do those environments justice.

Now that we got the ugly out of the way, Eternal is a fantastic port if you can look beyond the graphics. Somehow Panic Button and ID Software manage to transition a 60fps very fast paced game to 30fps and maintain the sense of speed and responsiveness. This game controls great. The gameplay is fast and your controller responsiveness are top notch. In terms of gameplay, Panic Button deserves credit for preserving the feel of a game designed to run at twice the framerate. The new gameplay elements are excellent and the player must quickly adapt to using these new mechanics in battle in order to succeed. Doom 2016 more more simplistic in combat, and I love that, but I can see why ID Software wanted to evolve it further. Learning to use the flamethrower often to obtain shield shards and the chainsaw for ammo are mandatory for success. Doom 2016 always had some Metroid Prime feels with the movement speed and double jump mechanic for platforming. Eternal takes that to a new level. There is far more platforming in this game, and for the most part it works very well. There are times it can feel cheap because you fell to your doom not knowing where to jump next, but overall I like the increased sense of exploration in this game.

I recommend this game to anyone who really enjoyed Doom 2016 on Switch. Unless you are a sucker like me, its probably worth waiting to see if they put this game on sale Christmas day. We see a huge sale every year during Christmas, and third party publishers have no problem with slashing the price of games that they just recently released, especially Switch ports of games that sell for $20 on PS4/X1.
You haven't scared me away from the game, so the Switch version is in my future at some point. Besides, I own all the other Doom games on Switch sans Doom 3, so continuing with that Doom Collection, I look forward to securing it for my library.

Goodtwin

You haven't scared me away from the game, so the Switch version is in my future at some point. Besides, I own all the other Doom games on Switch sans Doom 3, so continuing with that Doom Collection, I look forward to securing it for my library.
Its very good. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys over the top action games. It plays great on Switch, and the added flexability of playing with or without extra lives is going to make the game more palatable to those who tire of dying and retrying. I'm nearly done with my first play through on Hurt Me Plenty, but on my next play through I am going to turn off extra lives. Its going to be brutal, but I think it will bring back the satisfaction that I experienced with Doom 2016.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Matt, I loved that video!
Fascinating to watch. The work you guys do is amazing!
Sjm your tha bomb my man!!! Thank you so much for the encouragement, I really do love what I do.

Now............if you share it down in Florida no telling what kinda businesses might pick it up on your feed. But fr tho thank you for your support always

sjmartin79

Sjm your tha bomb my man!!! Thank you so much for the encouragement, I really do love what I do.

Now............if you share it down in Florida no telling what kinda businesses might pick it up on your feed. But fr tho thank you for your support always
For real though, the amount of obscene wealth down here, you could make a killing. The people would love that stone work which would differentiate their houses from their neighbor, it would provide gorgeous accents, and it would withstand strong winds.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm sure you all saw that Nintendo officially bought Next Level Games.
I think this is a fantastic move. They did beautiful work with Luigi's Mansion 3.
Maybe Nintendo could use NLG to work on older franchises, like they did when NLG brought back Punch Out during the Wii era.
I’m glad to see them apart officially of Nintendo now

Shoulder

I'm sure you all saw that Nintendo officially bought Next Level Games.
I think this is a fantastic move. They did beautiful work with Luigi's Mansion 3.
Maybe Nintendo could use NLG to work on older franchises, like they did when NLG brought back Punch Out during the Wii era.
Mario Strikers, and Punch-Out come to mind, and I guess Federation Force if you want to lose all bit of decency. I made a comment on Discord that FF needs to be more like Halo than what it currently is imo. You can still have the same type of gameplay, but for goodness sakes, change the art style.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Mario Strikers, and Punch-Out come to mind, and I guess Federation Force if you want to lose all bit of decency. I made a comment on Discord that FF needs to be more like Halo than what it currently is imo. You can still have the same type of gameplay, but for goodness sakes, change the art style.
Federation Force fan here.............*runs*

Shoulder

It's good. Damm good.

I was already hyped, but man, they outdid themselves.
I only played about 45min of it last night, and felt right at home, despite some bit of relearning going on. I knew to dodge attacks, heal, whetstone, chase after the monster after fleeing, collect items, and goodies.

Some of the newer mechanics I'm terrible at, but with time I'll get it. I'm excited.

Shoulder

Over the weekend, I was going over finances, and realized something astounding with my car. Since I've had it, I've tracked all the gas, parts, and expenses from work into a single spreadsheet. Just in gas alone, with around 90k miles driven over 4 years (currently has over 141k miles), I've spent over $11k in gas, plus an additional $5.6k in maintenance (most maintenance done myself with a few trips to mechanic or dealer). :mshock:

As I mentioned on Discord, it was at that moment I realized how much more in gas I'd use if I went with a gas guzzler. And my Jeep Cherokee averages 20-22mpg, which is respectable, though not great in today's world. In total, operating costs puts it at just over $17k over 4 years.

MANGANian

You know, I had zero expectations for the additional content for this game and had no plans in buying it, but then they just had to flaunt intimidating Bowser and Bowser Paint Jr. in my face, in addition to a giant sandbox-like overworld, now I absolutely must buy this.

What's also interesting is that Bowser's design looks similar to a fan rendition of Bowser covered in ash.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

You know, I had zero expectations for the additional content for this game and had no plans in buying it, but then they just had to flaunt intimidating Bowser and Bowser Paint Jr. in my face, in addition to a giant sandbox-like overworld, now I absolutely must buy this.

What's also interesting is that Bowser's design looks similar to a fan rendition of Bowser covered in ash.
Yeah, I wasn't too sure about a second purchase either, then I saw this video, and now I'm sold.

Shoulder

I'll bet some folks were wondering why Nintendo didn't put this much effort into the 3D All-Stars Collection that are just emulations, while this gets additional content. I'm just happy we get more Mario on the Switch. :mgrin:

I sold my copy of 3D World last year in anticipation of this, but not sure if I'll get this right away. MoHun Rise, despite launching a month later, will keep my occupied.

*sigh* I suppose I could buy this, and MoHun... :mplain:

I have enjoyed the MH Rise demo so far. The game visually looks a bit washed out and bland to me, but perhaps some of the other maps will make better use of color. The gameplay feels very familiar but also injects a lot of new ideas as well. The map felt very similar in size to those in Generations, but without the loading screens makes it feel much bigger. Getting back into the groove of item management and crafting weapons, armor and items will take some time, but I think we will have little trouble getting up to speed quickly. Very much looking forward to hunting with the crew in a couple months.

Mario 3D World is still a maybe for me. I loved it on Wii U, but I still have my Wii U and that game, so its a hard sell for me to double dip for what could be just a few hours of additional content. It does look really good, so who knows, I might change my mind.

MANGANian

I want Mario Kart 8, I really do, but I don't want to spend $60 on it; it's so hard resisting the urge to just buy it outright. It's been years, Nintendo! Can't you grace me with a generous discount? Just once, please? Isn't it about time for a Nintendo Selects? If it's the only thing I like about Sony is that they don't chain price to quality. Nintendo might have the cheaper console, but man is it expensive in the long run.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I want Mario Kart 8, I really do, but I don't want to spend $60 on it; it's so hard resisting the urge to just buy it outright. It's been years, Nintendo! Can't you grace me with a generous discount? Just once, please? Isn't it about time for a Nintendo Selects? If it's the only thing I like about Sony is that they don't chain price to quality. Nintendo might have the cheaper console, but man is it expensive in the long run.
Game is fo real bad to tha bone!

sjmartin79

Now that they have a super successful console again, I think it's time for the Nintendo Selects line to come out. Anything that has sold over 2 million units and has been out for over two years, gets dropped to $40 with slightly new packaging to brand it a "Nintendo Selects" game. This will also help new people buying the Switch to know which games are the "must haves'.

Edit: as of this moment, that would qualify over 17 games.

@sjmartin79

I know you recently played Age of Calamity, I've read your post saying you found it more of a Zelda game than a Warriors game. Could you elaborate on that? I never played Hyrule Warriors myself, every time I saw footage my eyes kinda glazed over. I played one Warriors game back in the day on PS2, I had fun with it at the time, but never felt the need to play another since.

Thanks in advance.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I have enjoyed the MH Rise demo so far. The game visually looks a bit washed out and bland to me, but perhaps some of the other maps will make better use of color. The gameplay feels very familiar but also injects a lot of new ideas as well. The map felt very similar in size to those in Generations, but without the loading screens makes it feel much bigger. Getting back into the groove of item management and crafting weapons, armor and items will take some time, but I think we will have little trouble getting up to speed quickly. Very much looking forward to hunting with the crew in a couple months.
I wasn't very impressed at first with Rise's visuals. But the more I play it, the more the whole package comes through. XX/GU looked great, but it was still on the bones of that PS2-era hardware lineage. "Hey, the ground textures are sharper now...although it's sharp, fake looking twigs."

Now it's starting to look properly lush. And as @Juegos pointed out to me, the more you watch the animations, the more you notice the upgrades there, too.
I've felt the same way about Breath of the Wild. I beat it on Wii U. It's tempting to fork out cash to play it on Switch; it kinda feels wrong to have the console this long and not play the flagship game on it.

But, so long as Nintendo is selling like 20 million Switch consoles a year, I'm sure they'll be happy to charge full price for all the people who are new BotW purchasers.