The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I’m way excited for Rise especially getting back into a lot of hunts with many different people here..............and now I can add my boys into the mix aswell and there very excited about it all.

That being said. I was served with divorce papers yesterday. So I have to start the process of getting that all done. I’m not gonna spill a lot here but we have been having problems for awhile now. So things have been done that just have caused rifts that weren’t repaired over 20 years. It’s not how I saw things goin for my marriage and especially for my boys. So I’ll be in and out around here and on games until this thing is finalized. After it’s all said and done I hope to still be in the home I’m currently at with my boys and have some great nights of games with friends and you guys who care.

If you pray please remember my boys and I thru all this.
Sending prayers to you and the boys, along with virtual love and hugs. I'm sorry for what you are going through, but I know how strong you are and how good of a father you are. You will make it through this. Here for you.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Have a great weekend TNE fam!
It's going to be in the low 70s here with low humidity, so it's gonna be gorgeous.

What games are everyone playing right now?
What games do you think everyone should be playing?
I’ve been playing MK8D by myself just to kill time and enjoy myself. I’ve been playing Smash with the boys almost every night.

Everyone should be playing Tetris99 (that’s just me tho)

I've been slowly chipping away at Chrono Trigger.

@mattavelle1 Sorry to hear Matt, I was shocked to read that. Best of wishes to you. I'm happy to see you spend so much time with the boys. I know you're a great dad. As someone whose parents split when I was young, I know how important it is that the parents don't act dumb around the kids afterwards. I don't got that worry with you.

sjmartin79

I’ve been playing MK8D by myself just to kill time and enjoy myself. I’ve been playing Smash with the boys almost every night.

Everyone should be playing Tetris99 (that’s just me tho)
I saw it pop up that you were playing MK8D, and I thought "Hmmm, I need to play that again."
I'm getting close to the end of "Immortals Fenyx Rising", and looking into what I'm going to play next.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I saw it pop up that you were playing MK8D, and I thought "Hmmm, I need to play that again."
I'm getting close to the end of "Immortals Fenyx Rising", and looking into what I'm going to play next.
It’s a great time killer for me right now and it was awhile since I got into it. It’s been keeping the mind occupied

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Have a great weekend TNE fam!
It's going to be in the low 70s here with low humidity, so it's gonna be gorgeous.

What games are everyone playing right now?
What games do you think everyone should be playing?
I've been bouncing back between playing XIII on PC (OG version, not remake), Duke Nukem 3D on Switch, and NFS Payback on PS4.

As far as what I should be playing? Probably Xenoblade, and Age of Calamity, but those come later. I also do have FFVII to finish up as well.

And weather up here has been much much colder the last few days. We got about 7inches of snow the other day, but with our new for this year 2 Stage snowblower, we've been able to handle the rough stuff with ease. Been also helping out the neighbors too from time to time. Today though is the coldest thus far this year as it was -4F, and that was before the windchill, so inside weather for the most part.

Goodtwin

A couple weeks back I got back into MK8 for a few days. I was just feeling so tired and burnt out that even most videogames seemed to be a bit exhausting. I wanted something simple and fun, nothing that was intense or making me think too much. MK8 is perfect for that. I can sit back and chill playing MK8 and its very relaxing. It was a perfect game to decompress with after playing through Doom Eternal. Doom is a great adrenaline rush, but there are times when I just want something more passive. I still enjoy games that can be very challenging, but I don't need or want that with every game I play. MK8 is practically perfection. I would certainly purchase MK9 if it were to come to Switch, but honestly I don't need it, whenever I am in the mood for Mario Kart, MK8 still feels great and fresh.

Switch and all these damn eshop sales provides me with more games than I have time to play, but I cant stop myself from purchasing games when there is a good deal. I probably own over 60 games on Switch now. Most recently the Contra and Castlevania collections were on sale for $5 each. Never really got into Castlevania before, but figured its worth $5 to give them a try. I loved Contra on the NES and its still great today on Switch. The Konami code is very helpful in reducing the punishing difficulty thanks to its 30 lives awarded. Hell, I still have South Park Fractured But Whole, Bullet Storm, Dark Siders Genesis, Dark Siders 2 and Assassins Creed Rogue in my library without ever firing them up yet. I have spent a lot of money on Switch but a ton of my games have been $20 or less thanks to eshop deals.

So seeing as how I have more games than time it would only make sense to give myself even more games to play. I noticed that Xbox Game Pass is offered on PC. My PC is low end, but still splits the difference between Xbox One and PS4, so most of the games should play fine. You get the first month for $1. Might have to do that just to play through Doom Eternal again at 60fps with better visuals. Not to mention giving Gears and Halo a shot, never played Gears and only played Halo on the OG Xbox.

Shoulder

A couple weeks back I got back into MK8 for a few days. I was just feeling so tired and burnt out that even most videogames seemed to be a bit exhausting. I wanted something simple and fun, nothing that was intense or making me think too much. MK8 is perfect for that. I can sit back and chill playing MK8 and its very relaxing. It was a perfect game to decompress with after playing through Doom Eternal. Doom is a great adrenaline rush, but there are times when I just want something more passive. I still enjoy games that can be very challenging, but I don't need or want that with every game I play. MK8 is practically perfection. I would certainly purchase MK9 if it were to come to Switch, but honestly I don't need it, whenever I am in the mood for Mario Kart, MK8 still feels great and fresh.

Switch and all these damn eshop sales provides me with more games than I have time to play, but I cant stop myself from purchasing games when there is a good deal. I probably own over 60 games on Switch now. Most recently the Contra and Castlevania collections were on sale for $5 each. Never really got into Castlevania before, but figured its worth $5 to give them a try. I loved Contra on the NES and its still great today on Switch. The Konami code is very helpful in reducing the punishing difficulty thanks to its 30 lives awarded. Hell, I still have South Park Fractured But Whole, Bullet Storm, Dark Siders Genesis, Dark Siders 2 and Assassins Creed Rogue in my library without ever firing them up yet. I have spent a lot of money on Switch but a ton of my games have been $20 or less thanks to eshop deals.

So seeing as how I have more games than time it would only make sense to give myself even more games to play. I noticed that Xbox Game Pass is offered on PC. My PC is low end, but still splits the difference between Xbox One and PS4, so most of the games should play fine. You get the first month for $1. Might have to do that just to play through Doom Eternal again at 60fps with better visuals. Not to mention giving Gears and Halo a shot, never played Gears and only played Halo on the OG Xbox.
That does it. I'm going to get MK8D. Hope you're all happy now.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
You all are definitely piling on the MK8 praise. I will remain strong until it goes down even a little bit!

Control: Ultimate Edition will be available for PS+ next month. It's a quality game guys, with what little I've played of it. Get it immediately!

I didn't think I'd end up warming up to the characters in Watch Dogs 2, but they managed to pull it off. WD2 is so painfully hipster, it's hard to take any of it seriously. But then, as you play along you eventually warm up to the hipster vibe and actually appreciate it for what it is. It's almost criminal that this game has better stealth than a game based around assassins from the same company.

I'm hopefully in the final phase of my animation project. After losing huge chunks of progress twice due to problems with my hard-drive and a very unfortunately timed power outage, and convincing myself hard to not give up, I'm finally 2/3rds away from the end. Next time, I'll know better not to avoid taking on a big project when I'm fairly new to something. Baby steps, lesson learned.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

Since finishing Immortals: Fenyx Rising, I decided to do the Bioshock trilogy. (I've never played any of them.) Well, each game has a large update for it. And after 4 years, I have filled my MicroSD card, so I had to start archiving games. Not really a big deal, but not how I'd like to do things on my Switch.

Last night, I went on Amazon, and they have 400gig MicroSD cards for under $50. I snapped that up right away. That's more than double the space I have now, and I believe it is cheaper than the MicroSD card I bought in 2017. And to make it better, I had a $50 Amazon card sitting around since Christmas. I'll give Steve2 my old MicroSD card because it has more memory than the one he's using.

Moral of the story? Nothing really. Just wanted to share.

Shoulder

You all are definitely piling on the MK8 praise. I will remain strong until it goes down even a little bit!

Control: Ultimate Edition will be available for PS+ next month. It's a quality game guys, with what little I've played of it. Get it immediately!

I didn't think I'd end up warming up to the characters in Watch Dogs 2, but they managed to pull it off. WD2 is so painfully hipster, it's hard to take any of it seriously. But then, as you play along you eventually warm up to the hipster vibe and actually appreciate it for what it is. It's almost criminal that this game has better stealth than a game based around assassins from the same company.

I'm hopefully in the final phase of my animation project. After losing huge chunks of progress twice due to problems with my hard-drive and a very unfortunately timed power outage, and convincing myself hard to not give up, I'm finally 2/3rds away from the end. Next time, I'll know better not to avoid taking on a big project when I'm fairly new to something. Baby steps, lesson learned.
Nice concerning Control. I've been meaning to give Control a go, so this will be a nice way to give it a shot. I did download Shadow of the Tomb Raider for this month, and previously before that Just Cause 4. I know PS+ isn't on par with Xbox Live, but it works for what it is.

As far as Watch Dogs 2, I managed to secure a free copy last year during that E3 promotion or whatever it was. It doesn't run particularly well on my PC because it's rather ancient, but even besides that, WD2 doesn't really interest me right now. Doesn't help that whenever I play it for an extended period of time, it crashes likely because it exceeds my Ram (still only have 8 gigs of DDR3). Perhaps once I get an all new rig, I might give it a go.

And as a slight tangent, as stupid as it sounds, Asus' new ROG Flow X13 2-in-1 Laptop with the RX Mobile eGPU sounds awesome, despite its high price. A tablet, a laptop, and a Gaming PC all in one device has been a dream of mine for some time. Maybe in a couple years or so when my Macbook Pro, my iPad Pro, and my PC Rig are beyond ancient, I could swing it. *dreams*

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I’m way excited for Rise especially getting back into a lot of hunts with many different people here..............and now I can add my boys into the mix aswell and there very excited about it all.

That being said. I was served with divorce papers yesterday. So I have to start the process of getting that all done. I’m not gonna spill a lot here but we have been having problems for awhile now. So things have been done that just have caused rifts that weren’t repaired over 20 years. It’s not how I saw things goin for my marriage and especially for my boys. So I’ll be in and out around here and on games until this thing is finalized. After it’s all said and done I hope to still be in the home I’m currently at with my boys and have some great nights of games with friends and you guys who care.

If you pray please remember my boys and I thru all this.
Praying for you and the family this weekend man. I hate to hear that. Definitely hit us up if you need a night to zone out and get some games going.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
You know what ain't Immortal in Immortal Fenyx Rising?

The freaking save files...

There can only be one....save file! Hahahahaaaaa....

I picked up the game for the XSX at a pretty nice discount (22 bucks) and put in about 3 or 4 hours into the game. When I finally got past the title screen every save kept saying "Save corrupted". Every...single...one...

SO I thought maybe the autosave will save the day...

Alas...autosave was not my savior....

I'm now back to the beginning of the game and I just kind of never want to play it again. Maybe I'll get the desire to but when a game wastes about 3 hours of my time I won't get back...I just kind of want to bring it back to the store.

MANGANian

Nice concerning Control. I've been meaning to give Control a go, so this will be a nice way to give it a shot. I did download Shadow of the Tomb Raider for this month, and previously before that Just Cause 4. I know PS+ isn't on par with Xbox Live, but it works for what it is.

As far as Watch Dogs 2, I managed to secure a free copy last year during that E3 promotion or whatever it was. It doesn't run particularly well on my PC because it's rather ancient, but even besides that, WD2 doesn't really interest me right now. Doesn't help that whenever I play it for an extended period of time, it crashes likely because it exceeds my Ram (still only have 8 gigs of DDR3). Perhaps once I get an all new rig, I might give it a go.

And as a slight tangent, as stupid as it sounds, Asus' new ROG Flow X13 2-in-1 Laptop with the RX Mobile eGPU sounds awesome, despite its high price. A tablet, a laptop, and a Gaming PC all in one device has been a dream of mine for some time. Maybe in a couple years or so when my Macbook Pro, my iPad Pro, and my PC Rig are beyond ancient, I could swing it. *dreams*
Watch Dogs 2 is a poorly optimised game, so don't feel bad if your PC struggles to run it. I had to make a few tweaks in-game and out-game to have it run at a framerate and graphical quality I was happy with. This happens with every Ubisoft game. 8gbs of RAM is more than enough for Watch Dogs 2 though. Something else seems to be going on there and it's most likely a driver issue.

I've been meaning to upgrade my PC to something with a bit more longevity this year. It turns out that the price has risen on PC parts. For graphics cards, the price has risen twice in less than a month's time, and this isn't even because of scalpers. Basically, consoles are now much cheaper than just getting a PC, and now it's a better deal to purchase a pre-built computer and then switch out the parts. So basically, you're good. And basically this means that I'll have to delay upgrades a bit longer, and hope what I have now could cover me until the price is right again.

Shoulder

Watch Dogs 2 is a poorly optimised game, so don't feel bad if your PC struggles to run it. I had to make a few tweaks in-game and out-game to have it run at a framerate and graphical quality I was happy with. This happens with every Ubisoft game. 8gbs of RAM is more than enough for Watch Dogs 2 though. Something else seems to be going on there and it's most likely a driver issue.

I've been meaning to upgrade my PC to something with a bit more longevity this year. It turns out that the price has risen on PC parts. For graphics cards, the price has risen twice in less than a month's time, and this isn't even because of scalpers. Basically, consoles are now much cheaper than just getting a PC, and now it's a better deal to purchase a pre-built computer and then switch out the parts. So basically, you're good. And basically this means that I'll have to delay upgrades a bit longer, and hope what I have now could cover me until the price is right again.
My hope is to wait until DDR5 becomes a thing, plus DirectStorage, which should be within the next year or two, and then upgrading would be a prime time to do so. Yes, with regards to DS, games, and programs will have to be designed for it and/or patched, but if PS5 and Series S/X are any indication, they'll set the tone for future gaming, and it'll also be a matter of time before non-gaming programs follow suit.

Goodtwin

@Shoulder what hardware do you have in your PC? I bought a budget gaming PC back in 2016, it has an AMD R7 360 GPU and AMD Athlon X4 840k CPU and 8 GB of main memory. It handles 360/PS3 era games really well for the most part and PS4/X1 era games with results that typically split the difference between Xbox One and PS4. I have been looking at inexpensive upgrade options, but there isnt much out there really. Im limited on my CPU thanks to it being a FM2+ connection. The X4 860K is about the only thing on the market that still uses the FM2+ socket, and its a pretty modest upgrade. My GPU is a 1.5Tflop GPU, and there isnt a ton of upgrade options without spending at least a couple hundred bucks.

I recently downloaded The Chronicles of Riddick Attack on Dark Athena, it comes with an upgraded version of Escape From Butcher Bay, the game I really wanted. Its weird because it the game will be running fine at 60fps, and then suddenly drop down as low as 30fps, but none of my hardware shows being maxed. Not a single CPU core and the GPU never shows more than 80%, even when the game sits at 30fps. The game is perfectly playable, but its obviously not a great port to PC. Gotta be something in the game engine that buckles or doesnt stream new assets from the hardware efficiently.

sjmartin79

This weekend, I was able to transfer all my data from my old MicroSD to the new one as well as Steve2's from his old one to my old one. Took many hours to get all that done, which was disappointing, but glad I got it done.

Then I started playing BioShock, and oh my goodness! I'm hooked! The game is beautiful. The graphics have a kind of Arkham City quality to them with the color and 1950s styling. I'm loving it so far!

Gonna try to be better about getting on the discord, even if it is just once a day.

Shoulder

@Shoulder what hardware do you have in your PC? I bought a budget gaming PC back in 2016, it has an AMD R7 360 GPU and AMD Athlon X4 840k CPU and 8 GB of main memory. It handles 360/PS3 era games really well for the most part and PS4/X1 era games with results that typically split the difference between Xbox One and PS4. I have been looking at inexpensive upgrade options, but there isnt much out there really. Im limited on my CPU thanks to it being a FM2+ connection. The X4 860K is about the only thing on the market that still uses the FM2+ socket, and its a pretty modest upgrade. My GPU is a 1.5Tflop GPU, and there isnt a ton of upgrade options without spending at least a couple hundred bucks.

I recently downloaded The Chronicles of Riddick Attack on Dark Athena, it comes with an upgraded version of Escape From Butcher Bay, the game I really wanted. Its weird because it the game will be running fine at 60fps, and then suddenly drop down as low as 30fps, but none of my hardware shows being maxed. Not a single CPU core and the GPU never shows more than 80%, even when the game sits at 30fps. The game is perfectly playable, but its obviously not a great port to PC. Gotta be something in the game engine that buckles or doesnt stream new assets from the hardware efficiently.
My current PC is an AMD FX-8320 paired with 8GB DDR3, and a GTX 770 that I built in 2014. The OS is installed on a sata SSD, so boot times are pretty snappy.

I can play most modern games, but what I tend to do is cap the frame rate to 30fps. When I played Rise of the Tomb Raider, I played it at medium/high settings at 1080p30, and it held a locked framerate for most of the game. I did something similar with Sniper Elite 4 with medium settings at 1080p30, and my most recent game, Serious Sam 4, also runs at 1080p30, but with low/medium details. For Rise, and Sniper, I also played it with a gamepad, while Sam I'm using a KB/M.

I know I can't run most modern games at 60fps, so instead of having such a varied frame rate, I'd rather cap it at 30fps, and it also has the benefit of not maxxing out my system's resources, and keeps the temps down (GPU will go into 70s, maybe low 80s under heavy loads, while GPU runs no more than 65c). Interestingly though, I tend to be limited with VRAM with games since it's only 2GB rather than the 4GB version. I have considered doubling the ram to 16GB, plus an RX 580/590 with 8GB of VRAM, which would give my system an even longer life without bottlenecking the CPU as much compared if I went with an RTX card. But at the same time, perhaps that money would be better served in a full upgrade down the road.

MANGANian

This weekend, I was able to transfer all my data from my old MicroSD to the new one as well as Steve2's from his old one to my old one. Took many hours to get all that done, which was disappointing, but glad I got it done.

Then I started playing BioShock, and oh my goodness! I'm hooked! The game is beautiful. The graphics have a kind of Arkham City quality to them with the color and 1950s styling. I'm loving it so far!

Gonna try to be better about getting on the discord, even if it is just once a day.
Let me know what you think about Bioshock Infinite when you eventually get there.

Goodtwin

I can play most modern games, but what I tend to do is cap the frame rate to 30fps.
People would be shocked at what you can get away with if your willing to make some adjustments. Framerate and resolution don't come cheap. So if you are willing to lower resolution down to 720p and cap it at 30fps, even budget PC's can still run most games. I was considering upgrading my graphics card, but I would be looking at $200 to get anything that would be a respectable upgrade. It would certainly allow me to get the resolution up to 1080p on current games, but I think I would rather just drop the res to 720p and keep on truckin. My TV is only a 42" and I sit about 8ft away, so 720p still looks pretty good. Besides, the majority of my gaming time is spent on Switch, so its not lower resolutions are uncommon for me. Hell, playing games like MK8 always stand out a bit because it does look very clean and crisp. Plus my Mcable applies some AA, so not only does MK8 look sharp, but it doesnt have the jaggies. It would have been a cool feature if Nintendo had included a similar processor into the dock that took care of scaling and added some AA.

Shoulder

People would be shocked at what you can get away with if your willing to make some adjustments. Framerate and resolution don't come cheap. So if you are willing to lower resolution down to 720p and cap it at 30fps, even budget PC's can still run most games. I was considering upgrading my graphics card, but I would be looking at $200 to get anything that would be a respectable upgrade. It would certainly allow me to get the resolution up to 1080p on current games, but I think I would rather just drop the res to 720p and keep on truckin. My TV is only a 42" and I sit about 8ft away, so 720p still looks pretty good. Besides, the majority of my gaming time is spent on Switch, so its not lower resolutions are uncommon for me. Hell, playing games like MK8 always stand out a bit because it does look very clean and crisp. Plus my Mcable applies some AA, so not only does MK8 look sharp, but it doesnt have the jaggies. It would have been a cool feature if Nintendo had included a similar processor into the dock that took care of scaling and added some AA.
I get the impression if you posted on the PC Master Race Subreddit, and we mentioned our specs, plus saying how we're willing to make some adjustments to get the most out of your system, they'd probably ban you for being inferior...or something.

Shoulder

How is everyone doing?
I got my second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine on Monday. Only side effects were a slight fever and feeling a little sluggish, so overall not bad.

For those that live in snow areas, how much snow did you get recently?
Last week, we got another half foot of snow, but just prior to that, we got freezing rain and sleet, which didn't help things. And then follow that up with frigid cold temps in the negative teens for the low for some of the days, it's been interesting. Most of us though agree we'll take the cold temps over more snow, but I'm usually ok with either. I just adapt, and deal with it.

We're on track to get more snow, maybe 1-3in this weekend, but we'll see. January and February are usually our big snow events for the winter season. I say, bring on the snow. we can handle it.

Besides that, everything else is going good. My wife and I probably won't be getting our vaccines until the spring, or summer is what we feel. We'll just continue to stay safe, and hunker down when needed. My parents though, who are both 69 years old, will be getting their first dose I think Friday, so we're excited about that.

I do wish how they're sending vaccines out to people could be improved though. For example, if my wife, who works for the University as a Technician, were to get the vaccine, I couldn't get it with her. I feel if one family member can get it, then at least one other should get it too. Like a plus one type situation.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
How is everyone doing?
I got my second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine on Monday. Only side effects were a slight fever and feeling a little sluggish, so overall not bad.

IM IN THE ICE ZONE FOR TONIGHT!!!! Up to a 1/2 inch or better @Shoulder , I’m hoping it’s not gonna get to crazy but this will be my 3rd ice storm and none of them have been good. That one on 94’ was unreal. Without power for 2 weeks

MANGANian

How is everyone doing?

It's either 6 months of sun or 6 months of rain with the fear of a hurricane, flash flood, or both happening here. We're currently in the Dry phase. The nights have been unusually cold recently. Never thought it'd be something I'd complain about.

I somehow tore a piece of back muscle along my left shoulder blade (something, something trapezius...). It's not as bad as the pain I felt when I had toothaches, but it did cause me to flinch uncontrollably, and some lost sleep. Turns out it was inflamed, and now my shoulder blade had a grating motion whenever I rotate my arm. The painkillers I've gotten took longer to go into effect than what I'm used to (about 2 hours).

Eventually, I was recommended a muscle rub, and that somehow did the trick for a few days on one application? I dunno. I'm not used to putting myself into positions where I'd sustain an injury more than a scratch or small bruise and having taken painkillers that one time, I have no idea if it's just the painkillers stuck in my system for an unusually long time, if it's just the muscle rub, or if I have some superhuman healing ability. I've heard that these things take weeks to properly heal. I was expecting to suffer for a bit longer. Nonetheless, I decided to avoid any form of exercise for the time being, and that also meant I couldn't draw for the time being, since I'm left-handed. I'm still not sure what caused the injury. It crept up on me some hours after doing a bunch of other physical stuff.

It was an experience. I mean, sure, it was painful, but I kinda like experiences. At least it no longer hurts.

sjmartin79

I do wish how they're sending vaccines out to people could be improved though. For example, if my wife, who works for the University as a Technician, were to get the vaccine, I couldn't get it with her. I feel if one family member can get it, then at least one other should get it too. Like a plus one type situation.
I completely agree. Better for a household to get husband/wife vaccinated together.

sjmartin79

The rest of the country is having ice, snow, and cold cold temps. Except FL.
Just like we decide not to participate in science and reason, we've chosen not to participate in Winter like the rest of the country. It was 80 here yesterday and today.

A friend from back in WV sent pics of our old neighborhood. They didn't have snow, but did have 2 inches of pure ice on the lawns. It looked like something out of a video game.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The rest of the country is having ice, snow, and cold cold temps. Except FL.
Just like we decide not to participate in science and reason, we've chosen not to participate in Winter like the rest of the country. It was 80 here yesterday and today.

A friend from back in WV sent pics of our old neighborhood. They didn't have snow, but did have 2 inches of pure ice on the lawns. It looked like something out of a video game.
I’ve got the ice and it’s crazy lookin outside. Not as bad as when I was a kid but it’s really amazing lookin but also very alien like you said it’s like it’s outta a videogame.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So, we have a 50 minute Nintendo Direct this afternoon.
What's everyone hoping to see?

It's my usual answer, but I want a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD for Switch.
I'd also like to see some plans for the Zelda anniversary. Maybe a nice collection or an HD Link to the Past.
If I could have my pick it would be Metroid : BotW #1. I would love to see another BotW2 trailer, and as always my obligation to say please let me get a sequel to F-ZeroGX

So, we have a 50 minute Nintendo Direct this afternoon.
What's everyone hoping to see?
This may be a hot take, but: anything interesting to me.

I didn't buy Animal Crossing, Paper Mario or Age of Calamity last year. I will get the latter two at some point, but Color Splash got boring in the second half and Warriors footage tends to make me disinterested, but again, I'll get them at some point. I also didn't get Wii U ports like Pikmin 3.

I've been using my Switch lately for NES/SNES online and some indie games, so I really want a big Nintendo exclusive that'll interest me.

That's the way things go though I realize. Not every game interests me, and I imagine COVID threw more than a few wrenches into their plans so I'm willing to be patient with things, especially since I have other systems to game on.

I'd be down for a Zelda collection though.

MANGANian

"Huh, more Xenoblade 2 DL-- oh, there's the Smash invitation" This reveal trailer shocked me a lot more than I was expecting. I feel stupid for not realising it sooner.

I wished they didn't just quickly gloss over No More Heroes 3. I wanted to see more of it. Bayonetta 3 is vaporware. Monster Hunter Rise looks completely different than its demo visually. That's a pleasant surprise. I still wished the game ran in 60fps though. A Skyward Sword remake was my expectation, and I'm glad it's finally made the cut. Hopefully, an F-Zero remake might make the jump too, and I really hope they make a big deal out of it if it happens.

The wait for Breath of the Wild info is becoming a meme at this point, lol. I see this tradition of informing us that it's being worked on while showing little or nothing is staying true to the wait for the first game.

Squeenix's RPG was the highlight of the entire Direct for me. It's the game I'm looking forward to the most.

Shoulder

"Huh, more Xenoblade 2 DL-- oh, there's the Smash invitation" This reveal trailer shocked me a lot more than I was expecting. I feel stupid for not realising it sooner.

I wished they didn't just quickly gloss over No More Heroes 3. I wanted to see more of it. Bayonetta 3 is vaporware. Monster Hunter Rise looks completely different than its demo visually. That's a pleasant surprise. I still wished the game ran in 60fps though. A Skyward Sword remake was my expectation, and I'm glad it's finally made the cut. Hopefully, an F-Zero remake might make the jump too, and I really hope they make a big deal out of it if it happens.

The wait for Breath of the Wild info is becoming a meme at this point, lol. I see this tradition of informing us that it's being worked on while showing little or nothing is staying true to the wait for the first game.

Squeenix's RPG was the highlight of the entire Direct for me. It's the game I'm looking forward to the most.
Botw2, Bayo 3, and Prime 4 all have become a meme at this point. I do like how they have something in store to help with the "wait" in the form of Skyward Sword HD. Not sure on how much of a remaster it'll be, but as @Goodtwin and I mentioned on Discord last night, it is running at 60fps compared to 30 on the Wii, which I think is quite huge, especially for a 3D Zelda game. I don't expect any QOL changes though to help make the game less of a chore (aka handholding, and Fi), but we'll see. They've at least made an effort to make the controls more intuitive by including button controls, so maybe there's more to it than we initially suspect? :mconfuse:

I still think WWHD, and TPHD are in the cards for Switch, but previously I've been saying BOTW2 is a 2021 title, but now I'm not so sure anymore after what Aonuma said they are STILL not ready to show anything. I'm hoping for something come E3, but we'll see I guess. I also think Prime 4 is after BOTW2, which if BOTW2 is a 2022 title, than Prime 4 is definitely a 2022, maybe 2023 title. And Bayo 3 you might as well just flip a coin, but Kamiya did say they will show something this year about it. Very vague on details, but Bayo 3 is 2022 at the minimum.

I'm still interested in Rise like many of us here, so whether it's been downgraded or not, as long as it plays and runs smoothly, I think we can get by. Hell, we've played what is practically a PS2 game for over a decade, so any improvement is welcome. Squeenix's new tactical RPG Project Triangle Strategy (soon to be just renamed to Triangle Strategy. mark my words) certainly has a great art style like Octopath before it. But I'm not interested in tactical RPGs like FF Tactics, or FE really. Not my jam. Give me good ole turn-based, or a modern real-time ala Xenoblade, and I'm good.

NMH3 will either be really good, or really bland I think. I might look into it, but I should play the first games first. @mattavelle1 did gift me the first two Wii games, so I do owe to at least give them a go. :mlaugh:

Sadly that was a bust for me. A few things that are in the "I'll keep an eye on it" category, but overall, not much.

After Trials of Mana being one of my GOTY 2020's I was hoping Legend would get remade, but sadly it seems that's not in the cards now. Hopefully a brand new Mana game will be made then.

Oh well, back to being an indie machine for now I guess.
The Direct had its moments, but given how long it's been since a big direct, and how long it was, it did feel slightly let down. I'm actually tired of the Smash character reveals. I. Don't. Fucking. Care. About. Smash. Yes, I know millions of others do, but I think these days, they don't require their own slot in a Direct. Just stealth release them via Twitter, and call it good. Done.

Splatoon 3 was a nice reveal though, and since I skipped on Splatoon 2, I'm game for this. Octopath Triangle Traveler Fantasy Tactics doesn't particularly interest me like I mentioned above, but since there is a demo, I'll at least give it a try.

Legend of Mana sounds interesting only because I've been told to get Trials of Mana from a good friend of mine (Secret of Mana is his GOAT anyway), so we'll see.

As also mentioned above, Skyward Sword HD was a surprise, and unlike some of us around here, I have enjoyed Skyward Sword, despite its flaws.

But yes, I kept my expectations low, and it was about what I expected to be honest. A couple nice surprises, but nothing groundbreaking, or megaton reveals.

sjmartin79

There were a lot of games in that Direct, and it felt like it had something for everyone. I'll admit that for a good bit of the direct, I was like "That's nice. Next. That's fine. Next." Not that anything looked awful, but just not my cup of tea.

Most excited about Skyward Sword HD with button controls!!!
And the idea of Splatoon 3 next year also was a huge plus.
and even more interested in MH: Rise.

Definitely interested in No More Heroes 3, Knockout City, and Fall Guys.

Most of the rest of it looked good, but not for me.

Shoulder

There were a lot of games in that Direct, and it felt like it had something for everyone. I'll admit that for a good bit of the direct, I was like "That's nice. Next. That's fine. Next." Not that anything looked awful, but just not my cup of tea.

Most excited about Skyward Sword HD with button controls!!!
And the idea of Splatoon 3 next year also was a huge plus.
and even more interested in MH: Rise.

Definitely interested in No More Heroes 3, Knockout City, and Fall Guys.

Most of the rest of it looked good, but not for me.
I brought this up in the GW Discord, but if TPHD, and WWHD do in fact get re-released on Switch this year on top of SSHD in July, then it's damn near too packed for BOTW2 to make an appearance in 2021.

2021, with the exception of a few hitters like Rise, Poke Snap, NMH3, and Mario Golf, will be teh year of the Switch for ports, and remasters, followed by 2022 full of the other games we've been waiting for.

Hell, I'm still holding out for Prime Trilogy making an appearance this year to coincide with Metroid's 35th like Zelda this year also. If Nintendo can send Aonuma to record him saying, "We know you're excited for BOTW2. While you're waiting, here's this:" then we should get the same treatment for Metroid.

It's almost too perfect for them to do the same exact thing for Prime 4. "While you're waiting, here's Prime Trilogy for Switch."

Close out 2021 on a high note, and lead that into 2022 with Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, BOTW2, Bayo 3, and yes, even Prime 4.

EDIT: And who knows, maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X will make an appearance on Switch as well this year in prep for whatever Monolith are working on (we know they did XCDE, and almost positive co-developing BOTW2 with Nintendo).

EDIT 2: Based on what we know, there's only bigger titles through summer, and nothing for fall/winter. I think there's more in store that we'll see during E3, or whatever equivalent event happens.

Goodtwin

Bayonetta 3 is vaporware
I dont feel that way at all. When Kamiya talked about publishers making the decision on when to show a game and how it differed from what they will do with their self published games, that actually made me more at ease. Nintendo is the publishers for Bayonetta 3, and waiting to show off a game mere months before release has been a Nintendo strategy for quite some time now. In this Direct alone, look how many games were announced for the first time and will be releasing over the next few months. My assumption with Bayonetta 3 is that when they did originally announce it the game has just recently been greenlighted. So development is just now around 3 years. I feel like its a game that could be shown off in a Nintendo Direct in July and released in September.

Zelda TP HD and WW HD will certainly be released on Switch. All the work for a HD upgrade was already done. It would make no sense for them to let that work die on their least successful console every. Its easy money, I doubt they will pass up the opportunity to offer it these games to a userbase that will be approaching 100 million users.