The Great CT - Community Thread

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I've still been playing "The Outer Worlds". From the "point of no return" save last night, I believe I'm at the end. Truly loving the game, save for one thing.

For E3 hopes:
BotW2 - trailer and details
Metroid Prime 3 HD release date and MP4 trailer
Bayonetta 3 trailer and 2022 release date
Xenoblade X for Switch with details on Monolith's next game
Something for Zelda's 35th anniversary besides Skyward Sword
Pikmin 4 details and 2022 release date
Surprise of next 3D mario game with 2022 release date

I'm not even sure if I'd get one. I have my eyes on an Xbox, being backwards compatible and Gamepass makes it a good sell to someone like me who hasn't had an Xbox since the OG. Also, I just don't use my Switch near enough to warrant buying an upgrade. Besides Dr Mario on the NES app, and the occasional Smash session, I haven't used it in ages besides a few indie games that are available elsewhere.

I know a lot of people love the Switch, but Nintendo hasn't been releasing much that interests me. They blew the gates down with Mario, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Xenoblade and Smash, then nothing much afterwards that I bought. The pandemic doesn't help either. We'll see come E3 what games are on the horizon.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
According to gaming "journalists" on Twitter, we could expect an official announcement from Nintendo on the newer version of Switch either later today or tomorrow.
With a release in Sept or Oct.
Sooooooo...yeeeeeeeeah.

At least on the timing alone, some "insider" credentials should be revoked. I almost miss GAF being able to blacklist people.

...now watch them announce it tomorrow.
I know a lot of people love the Switch, but Nintendo hasn't been releasing much that interests me. They blew the gates down with Mario, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion, Xenoblade and Smash, then nothing much afterwards that I bought. The pandemic doesn't help either. We'll see come E3 what games are on the horizon.
I think I kinda benefit from only having one console. For me, the Switch is like having a mini Steam machine. There's more content than I can play.

But if you have another system, you've already got a backlog. If you weren't an Animal Crossing fan, you haven't had much to be excited for, if you own other devices.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Please watch gameplay video all the way to the end. No skipping please.

Also, did I mention how much Metro Exodus somehow manages to stress me out using atmosphere alone? The game is a bit too effective at making me feel miserable in a post-apocalyptic world.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'm not even sure if I'd get one. I have my eyes on an Xbox, being backwards compatible and Gamepass makes it a good sell to someone like me who hasn't had an Xbox since the OG. Also, I just don't use my Switch near enough to warrant buying an upgrade. Besides Dr Mario on the NES app, and the occasional Smash session, I haven't used it in ages besides a few indie games that are available elsewhere.

I agree on the wouldn't even get one crowd. My current Switch runs just fine, and I'd like to get the most out of it before looking to put more money down on something else. Hell, I still own my Wii U, and still would love to turn it into a decent emulation machine for past Nintendo systems.

Not that I play a lot of games these days anyway, let alone on Switch.

I thought about E3 some more. I think after last year not happening the way it usually does, it feels more fresh and exciting in a way. I’m looking forward to some conferences.

I’m terms of what I want, well I’d love if they announce a Destroy All Humans 2 remake after how much fun I had with 1. I would love if they announce a Klonoa bundle with 1 and 2 considering how expensive those are getting. Would also love a Zelda bundle of some sort.

Besides ports/remakes, I would like to see Pikmin 4, Monolith’s next project, and a co-op game for the Jolly Co-op group (Triforce Heroes 2?). I would love a new single player IP that seems fresh and new.

That’s on top of existing games like Botw 2 and Metroid Prime 4.

I was gearing up to buy an Xbox the summer or fall, but after this E3 conference, I might hold off. I thought the conference was just fine with a lot of interesting games, but too many "2022" dates for my liking. I understand though, y'know, COVID and all. I wanted an Xbox mostly for backwards compatibility, but ultimately they're games I've already played. So I'm either gonna wait for that one big boy release, or when multiple new games are out.

Final Fantasy Origin seems interesting, and thankfully it's coming to the PS4 so I can play it with long load screens babee. But it is a "2022" release so maybe I'll have a new machine.

Now the ball is in Nintendo's court more than ever. I'm really hoping for a big holiday release. I know the Pokemon remakes are out then, but I'd love if BOTW 2 surprised us all with an October or December release. If not, then I guess I should finally get around to Paper Mario or Hyrule Warriors. Also been in the mood for Xenoblade or Mario. Decisions.

E3 is pretty fun regardless the format.

sjmartin79

Tomorrow is the day!
I know better than to get my hopes up for some really out there, wonderful surprises.
I know we'll see something of BotW2.
Hopefully they don't spend too much time on the Pokemon games we already know that are coming.
I say it all the time, but I would love them to announce Metroid Prime Trilogy as a warm up to a date for Prime 4.
Would seriously enjoy some older Zelda remasters, but I have a feeling they'll just release Wind Waker and Twilight Princess versions from WiiU.
If MK8 weren't continuing to sell so well, I'd say we'd see a 9 coming.
Really excited to see what Monolith has been working on. (Wouldn't mind Xenoblade X port either.)
And it's time for a new 3D Mario or some new Donkey Kong game. Way past time for Pikmin 4, especially after how well 3 sold on Switch.
Of course, there will also be some random new thing Nintendo has created. Will it be Splatoon quality or forgettable?

sjmartin79

Oh thank goodness! So glad to see your reactions to the direct to know I'm not crazy.
Several of the Switch/Nintendo/Zelda groups I'm in on FB were just all bitching and moaning about the Direct, and I sat there yesterday enjoying the hell out of it.
Metroid Dread, Danganronpa collection, Advance Wars remaster, more Mario Party, Fatal Frame, SMT 5, Wario Ware, new Mario Rabbids, and a trailer for BotW 2?!? That's a lot to be excited about.

I was waiting a long time for Danganropa to come to Switch. I like playing games like Ace Attorney on handheld devices, so I’m excited for that too.

Edit: Not just those either. I've been tempted for awhile now to hunt down Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 for the cube, but yeehaw now I don't have too. I haven't been following No More Heroes 3, but I'll be getting it. I finally bought Travis Strikes Again. Of course, if it wasn't obvious enough, I'm still giddy over Metroid Dread and Advance Wars Re-boot Camp (what a title!). While it won't be a day 1 just because of how much I'm excited for, I'll probably get Fatal Frame V as well.

And of course, those beautiful indies. Axiom Verge 2 and Neon White are due this year.

I haven't been this pumped for the upcoming lineup of games since I bought my Switch for Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Odyssey. Feels good mang.

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

Several of the Switch/Nintendo/Zelda groups I'm in on FB were just all bitching and moaning about the Direct, and I sat there yesterday enjoying the hell out of it.
One can never underestimate the internet's infinitely renewable capacity for edgelord shitposting.

You get your "knew it was coming, didn't see that angle" Zelda megaton. You get the great white whale of vaporware with Dread. You get SMT V as your epic post-apocalyptic JRPG. Sure, why not Advance Wars remakes? Fatal Frame, come on down.

If this E3 lineup had been posted on Reddit as an "insider rumor," it would've been dismissed as being too outlandish.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I gave Skyward Sword a 10/10 on Wii so now I'm morally obligated to buy it and replay it.
I've been asking for Fatal Frame on Switch so now I don't have an excuse (though I might get it on PC if it's a good port).
I said I'd buy a Switch port of Samus Returns and they're giving me something better.
I was even on the camp that wanted less Fire Emblem and more Advance Wars.
BotW2 looks much more interesting than I expected and is now neck-and-neck with Elden Ring for how hyped I am for them.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the Direct.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I was waiting a long time for Danganropa to come to Switch. I like playing games like Ace Attorney on handheld devices, so I’m excited for that too.

Edit: Not just those either. I've been tempted for awhile now to hunt down Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 for the cube, but yeehaw now I don't have too. I haven't been following No More Heroes 3, but I'll be getting it. I finally bought Travis Strikes Again. Of course, if it wasn't obvious enough, I'm still giddy over Metroid Dread and Advance Wars Re-boot Camp (what a title!). While it won't be a day 1 just because of how much I'm excited for, I'll probably get Fatal Frame V as well.

And of course, those beautiful indies. Axiom Verge 2 and Neon White are due this year.

I haven't been this pumped for the upcoming lineup of games since I bought my Switch for Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Odyssey. Feels good mang.
I would go crazy for some Super Monkey Ball 2 on Switch action!!! Even tho I still got it *face_sneaky.

Shoulder

As I mentioned on the GW Discord, Direct was pretty good. Some lows, some highs, but for once, Zelda wasn't the main event. No, sirree. Metroid DREAD stole the show, and I think stole E3, even from Elden Ring.

For one, Dread has been nearly 20 years in the making, which for us Metroid fans is really special. And best of all, we only have to wait 4 months before launch.

Outside of Nintendo though, I am thoroughly excited for Diablo 2 Resurrected as I was a big fan of the original, despite the lack of skill I possessed at the time. Skyward Sword HD, even though wasn't featured in the Direct, I'm also looking forward to.

Pre-E3, I was looking forward to two games: Diablo 2R, and Skyward Sword HD. Post-E3, I now have three games I'm excited for; add Metroid Dread to that list.

I did sell my copy of Samus Returns, which now I want to give it another chance. Felt I returned it prematurely, even though I got bored of playing it. Oh well. I still can play me some Fusion. FUSION!

EvilTw1n

Metroid DREAD stole the show, and I think stole E3, even from Elden Ring.
I thought E3 had lost the capacity for big shockers. And tbh, after this, it might. To have the biggest fangasms, you gotta have pent-up demand, like wanting burly-man Link.

We're probably not ever going to have another mascot-level franchise with a 15-20 year mystery game floating around. Dread's big catharsis isn't replicable. Enjoy it, friends.

MANGANian

Glad to see that NMH3 still has its soundtrack up to par. I'm replaying W101 again and I'm having such a good time with it now that I actually know how to play. The game is getting some free DLC for backers. I don't know whether this is exclusive to backers or not. It's pretty cool that they're still supporting the game. Hopefully we'll get some news of Bayonetta 3 next year or something.

Shoulder

I thought E3 had lost the capacity for big shockers. And tbh, after this, it might. To have the biggest fangasms, you gotta have pent-up demand, like wanting burly-man Link.

We're probably not ever going to have another mascot-level franchise with a 15-20 year mystery game floating around. Dread's big catharsis isn't replicable. Enjoy it, friends.

That is a very good point.

Like @CitizenOfVerona said, Half-Life might be one franchise off-hand that could generate that kind of hype after such a long hiatus.

Maybe Grandia, or Lunar for those JRPG enthusiasts perhaps, but those are not mascot-level franchises either. Megaman I think would be the only other franchise that could do it I think, and it would have to do so if it went full-on 3D ala Metroid Prime. But then you'd get the folks who say it's a Prime-Clone.

EvilTw1n

That is a very good point.

Like @CitizenOfVerona said, Half-Life might be one franchise off-hand that could generate that kind of hype after such a long hiatus.

Maybe Grandia, or Lunar for those JRPG enthusiasts perhaps, but those are not mascot-level franchises either. Megaman I think would be the only other franchise that could do it I think, and it would have to do so if it went full-on 3D ala Metroid Prime. But then you'd get the folks who say it's a Prime-Clone.
Honestly, I'd bet HL3 happens.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-alyx/next-half-life-game

It's been a constant "Source / Source 2 just isn't ready"-thing. Well, it's ready. They followed through, released a Half Life game, and seem to have gotten past the intra-studio shocked-Keanu "what if we make a bad HL?"-thing. They made a VR Half Life game that finger-blasted the critics, ffs. If that doesn't give them some confidence and momentum, nothing will.

Plus, Alyx was in development for like 4 years.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-alyx/valve-interview

Last edited:

EvilTw1n

And now we can't edit posts? Wth? Anyways, Alyx was in development for like 4 years. HL3 wasn't; they had an idea and didn't get far. That's the difference with Dread; there were at least two playable builds (maybe three, if you count the 2001 E3 not-Fusion game). It existed in a more solid form than "maybe we'll build a HL game with procedurally-generated leve- oh, squirrel!"

Still, HL3 has one thing going for it that Dread never did - the prior game. It ain't like Fusion ended on a cliffhanger.

EvilTw1n

"With this next installment in one of the most beloved and innovative FPS franchises we really wanted to shatter the expectations of our fans. Introducing: Half-Life 4"
Quarter-Death 4, ep. 1/3 pt. 2-X, the Crystal Defenders - Second Age: Origins 3 Ultimate EX Turbo Remastered

MANGANian

Finished playing Metro Exodus. The ending is quite something. I didn't like the first two (3?) games as much, the bugs really got in the way of my enjoyment, and the plot of one of them got so ridiculous that I had a hard time adapting my expectations, but I love Metro Exodus. Everything clicked for me. I liked the characters, I liked the story. The atmosphere in these games was always top-notch, but I felt like Exodus made it better. I found myself taking my time just taking in the atmosphere. At some points, the game scared me more than any horror game did, and it's not even a horror. And ironically, the best part of the game was the last part of the game; the part that's designed more in line with the older games with a slight twist. Made me wonder if I would've enjoyed them more without those darn bugs in the way. I highly recommend it!

I'm going to finally tackle Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Sonic Mania next, although I'm kinda bummed that Sonic Mania is yet another remix compilation.

sjmartin79

I'm trying to fill my time on Switch with smaller games as Skyward Sword HD approaches, so I've been scratching that Metroidvania itch with Axiom Verge. This one took me a bit. Several years ago, I started playing it, but quit for some reason. Now, I'm all in, and about 80% done I'd say.

Steve2 and I recently built the LEGO NES with the scrolling TV. I hadn't built anything with LEGO in years, and had an absolute blast with it. I had no idea that there were now LEGO sets for "adults" they called "Expert" builds. I know they have the Mario sets that are like an interactive thing, but I'd love to see them do expert builds on Peach's Castle or Bowser's castle. That would be impressive.

Been a very long time since I posted here..but a lot has happened.

Firstly...the pandemic affected me a lot but luckily I'm occupied with a job right now so that's something. The other thing that affected me is that GoNintendo seems to be dead whether RMC will return or not and it sucks because its one of the best news sites for Nintendo news purely( No offense NE fans...) but I guess pain and depression can even affect RMC..and that really sucks.

The direct surprised me as I didn't expect Metroid Dread...a title that has been developed after a near 2 decades. I will say that I am skeptical about the Advance Wars Reboot camp as I don't like how lifeless the animations are and that its developed by Wayforward instead of Intelligent Systems...

And lastly..after like two years of even with the V2 switch...it finally ends up getting scratches..and that upsets me cause I have no clue how it happened. There's some on the bottom left of the bezel while there are two outside the right of the bezel..just when I thought my Switch won't get scratches.

Yet somehow...it doesn't affect me as a whole cause I use the dock like 99% of the time and the scratches can only be seen through a flashlight.

That being said..I don't understand why this is bothering me so much as screens will get scratched through wear and tear..right? I mean its beyond human capacity to..protect something that is within wear and tear...or are scratches not caused by wear and tear?

And some of you can say like apply screen protectors but I've tried that six times and they all ended up being busted. All of them had bubbles whatsoever even the tempered glass ones. I'm just not good at applying them and I hate that honestly. I mean I would like to use the Switch as a handheld but then there are two problems that are just too jarring that make me use the dock mode anyways.

like 1. Most games will run better on Dock due to being upscaled at 1080p and it is on a bigger screen means better engagement and 2. If a game is to use motion controls...dock is simply the only way to play them better. I'm not saying that handheld is pointless or anything...but the idea of playing games on the go is a bit underwhelming if the dock mode brings a lot of benefits over handheld unless you're someone who goes outdoors a lot.

I feel miserable..I feel down all because I used a microfiber cloth or if the dock sleeve caused it. I...am trying to come to terms with it till I can go to USA and maybe ask NOA to get it fixed for me brand new.

MANGANian

And some of you can say like apply screen protectors but I've tried that six times and they all ended up being busted. All of them had bubbles whatsoever even the tempered glass ones. I'm just not good at applying them and I hate that honestly.
Get someone who can properly apply it to do it for you, if you could.

I mean I would like to use the Switch as a handheld but then there are two problems that are just too jarring that make me use the dock mode anyways. Most games will run better on Dock due to being upscaled at 1080p and it is on a bigger screen means better engagement and 2. If a game is to use motion controls...dock is simply the only way to play them better. I'm not saying that handheld is pointless or anything...but the idea of playing games on the go is a bit underwhelming if the dock mode brings a lot of benefits over handheld unless you're someone who goes outdoors a lot.
It's no big deal if you don't utilise the portable aspect. It's there whenever a moment comes where you'll need it. I use the Switch undocked a lot unless I'm playing with family. Most of the games I have at the moment are ones I've played before and indie titles, so I have no desire to see them on a big screen. It just feels good somehow to just lie somewhere comfortable in whatever outlandish position or environment and just play something. The benefit of being able to set your mood by the location you choose is what makes portable gaming systems special to me.

Some movies are more enjoyable in theatres or with company. It's kinda like that. I still have fond memories of Yoshi Island DS because of where I got to play it.

sjmartin79

Well, it is definitely Summer in FL as Tropical Storm Elsa is headed right for us. Well, technically the coast about 30 minutes south of us, but still, same county. Fingers crossed the storm continues to turn. Would be better if it stayed out to sea, but I don't see that happening. Thankfully, it looks like it will be a back down to a tropical storm from a hurricane by the time it gets here. 65mph winds or so. Means I'll need to pull so much in from the lanai and backyard. Bah.
I hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend! I'm definitely ready for a few days off.
We're doing a Rage Room tomorrow night. Both Steve2 and I have some extra stress we want to let out.

EvilTw1n

The benefit of being able to set your mood by the location you choose is what makes portable gaming systems special to me.
This is so true. I didn't realize how much I appreciated this until the Switch.
Well, it is definitely Summer in FL as Tropical Storm Elsa is headed right for us. Well, technically the coast about 30 minutes south of us, but still, same county. Fingers crossed the storm continues to turn. Would be better if it stayed out to sea, but I don't see that happening. Thankfully, it looks like it will be a back down to a tropical storm from a hurricane by the time it gets here. 65mph winds or so. Means I'll need to pull so much in from the lanai and backyard. Bah.
I hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend! I'm definitely ready for a few days off.
We're doing a Rage Room tomorrow night. Both Steve2 and I have some extra stress we want to let out.
And a happy 4th to you, too, amigo. I hope the storm fizzles out.

MANGANian

Welp, you did it, Nintendo. You've gotten me to consider your expensive-ass Skyward Sword port of a game that I already have the deluxe edition of for the Wii, and all it took was putting the main theme on full blast at the end of a trailer and reminding me how fun some of the combat and dungeons were.

I'm finally at the end of The Wonderful 101. It's nice when everything they teach you in the game is put to the test with the final boss and you find yourself doing well. It's a great feeling. I don't think it's ever mentioned but the voice-acting in this game is top-notch.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

So, storm is bearing down on us. Will be here in a few hours. Upping to a Cat 1 hurricane again as it approaches. Fingers crossed it stays where it is and we'll only get tropical storm winds (which are 40-70 mph). I spent time yesterday evening moving things inside or onto the lanai, putting the garbage cans on their sides, weighing down things, etc. It all should be fine. And by the time I wake up tomorrow, it will be north of us.

MANGANian

So, storm is bearing down on us. Will be here in a few hours. Upping to a Cat 1 hurricane again as it approaches. Fingers crossed it stays where it is and we'll only get tropical storm winds (which are 40-70 mph). I spent time yesterday evening moving things inside or onto the lanai, putting the garbage cans on their sides, weighing down things, etc. It all should be fine. And by the time I wake up tomorrow, it will be north of us.
Stay safe.

sjmartin79

Well, I can thankfully say that all is good here on the Suncoast of FL. We didn't have any damage from the storm, and flooding was kept to a minimum. We were definitely lucky it stayed off the coast of our area. Just an hour north is skirted the coast (because Tampa sticks out further into the Gulf), so they got heavier rains, wind, flooding. Now back at work.

Shoulder

Well, I can thankfully say that all is good here on the Suncoast of FL. We didn't have any damage from the storm, and flooding was kept to a minimum. We were definitely lucky it stayed off the coast of our area. Just an hour north is skirted the coast (because Tampa sticks out further into the Gulf), so they got heavier rains, wind, flooding. Now back at work.
Glad to hear you, and Steve2 were safe and sound! Was thinking about you two this week when I heard Elsa was making landfall in FL. Besides, that new LEGO Mario set looks pretty dope! :mcool:

Shoulder

Welp, you did it, Nintendo. You've gotten me to consider your expensive-ass Skyward Sword port of a game that I already have the deluxe edition of for the Wii, and all it took was putting the main theme on full blast at the end of a trailer and reminding me how fun some of the combat and dungeons were.

I'm finally at the end of The Wonderful 101. It's nice when everything they teach you in the game is put to the test with the final boss and you find yourself doing well. It's a great feeling. I don't think it's ever mentioned but the voice-acting in this game is top-notch.
Yeah. Once I saw the QOL Trailer, I went, "Yup. Day 1, baby!" (And it'll sit on my shelf collecting dust in the process for months before I actually play it)

And for W101, it rewards you for skill, and patience. @mattavelle1 knows this very well when the game finally just clicks, and how brilliant of a game it is. It's one of my top games of the last generation because of it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Very glad to hear you guys are all right!

@Shoulder it only took me playing the first level of W101 10x to finally “get it”. Once i did tho that game was on point!