The Great CT - Community Thread

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
By next week, I can finally start working again. It's sometimes interesting how our politicians act where I'm at. I guess it's okay once in a while for a Prime Minister to publicly complain about his position, even if it makes him look like a joke. I wonder how the world would've been if people in positions like this could freely vent their frustrations once in a while?

I just caught Maxmilliandood playing Tropical Freeze and then I just couldn't stop watching it. I guess whatever I had to do for the past 3 hours must wait.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
So, today is Zelda day!
Honestly excited to get home and play Skyward Sword. I only ever played it the one time when it first came out. I was in an awful job here in FL, so most of my memories of the game are tainted by what was going on at the time. Funny how that happens.
Definitely ready to play it with fresh eyes.

Anyone else double dipping on it?

MANGANian

So, today is Zelda day!
Honestly excited to get home and play Skyward Sword. I only ever played it the one time when it first came out. I was in an awful job here in FL, so most of my memories of the game are tainted by what was going on at the time. Funny how that happens.

I'm double dipping but I'm waiting a bit. Hopefully it isn't a limited time offer thing.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So, today is Zelda day!

I will most likely get it…………….since I never played it on Wii

I'm passing on Skyward, at least for now. From what I've seen, this is the version to play hands down. If I'm ever in the mood to replay it down the road, I'll most likely buy it for Switch.

When that'll be, who knows. I bought a used Xbox One S today. I wanted a Series X, but 99% of the reasons why I wanted one was for backwards compatibility and Gamepass some games I've been curious about but never did buy. I saw someone post their One S for cheap, so I bought it and been playing Banjo Kazooie today. I'm slowing going all digital with non-Nintendo games, so being able to play my old discs like Splinter Cell cuts a bit of my desire for a Series X.

I still don't have a 4K tv with HDR and all those fancy buzzwords, so I'm kinda leaning towards the smaller Series S as a beautiful 1080p machine when the time comes. That time being once some more next gen exclusives hit, as most everything is still coming out on PS4/Xbone.

Besides, after this pandemic and shit, I at least deserve to play Banjo Kazooie in HD.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'm passing on Skyward, at least for now. From what I've seen, this is the version to play hands down. If I'm ever in the mood to replay it down the road, I'll most likely buy it for Switch.

When that'll be, who knows. I bought a used Xbox One S today. I wanted a Series X, but 99% of the reasons why I wanted one was for backwards compatibility and Gamepass some games I've been curious about but never did buy. I saw someone post their One S for cheap, so I bought it and been playing Banjo Kazooie today. I'm slowing going all digital with non-Nintendo games, so being able to play my old discs like Splinter Cell cuts a bit of my desire for a Series X.

I still don't have a 4K tv with HDR and all those fancy buzzwords, so I'm kinda leaning towards the smaller Series S as a beautiful 1080p machine when the time comes. That time being once some more next gen exclusives hit, as most everything is still coming out on PS4/Xbone.

Besides, after this pandemic and shit, I at least deserve to play Banjo Kazooie in HD.
The lack of 4K for many of us (there are dozens of us after all) makes it less worthy in ways to upgrade to the latest systems, and I'm actually glad Microsoft brought on board the Series S in that regard. My only real complaint, which you touched on, is the lack of a disc drive.

I'm still not fully on board with the next-gen systems because of the drive for 4K, so I'm fine with Switch for now. Most recently, however, reserving the 512GB version of the Steam Deck has me pretty excited, and I look forward to the coming months as the launch gets closer.

It was only a 5 dollar deposit anyway, and if I don't use it, it goes back into my Steam wallet, so I'm hardly losing anything.

The lack of 4K for many of us (there are dozens of us after all) makes it less worthy in ways to upgrade to the latest systems, and I'm actually glad Microsoft brought on board the Series S in that regard. My only real complaint, which you touched on, is the lack of a disc drive.

I'm still not fully on board with the next-gen systems because of the drive for 4K, so I'm fine with Switch for now. Most recently, however, reserving the 512GB version of the Steam Deck has me pretty excited, and I look forward to the coming months as the launch gets closer.

It was only a 5 dollar deposit anyway, and if I don't use it, it goes back into my Steam wallet, so I'm hardly losing anything.
I think we discussed this on Discord, but I'm happy with the graphics games have these days. Playing Horizon or Dad of War, I just don't care about adding 500 more polygons to Kratos' chest muscles or anything. So far with what I've seen of how games run on the Series S, I'm happy with a combo setup of One and Series S. Covers everything I want it for and both systems combined would still be cheaper than a Series X.

Lately I've been in the mindset of de-cluttering and cutting back. I currently got multiple garbage bags of clothes, sheets/quilts, shoes, cds, etc ready to donate. Just trying to simplify my life I guess haha. The has been carrying over into going digital with games. A few years ago I bought most AAA games physically. I think Kark started it when she bought me Resident Evil 2 Remake digitally. The final nail was when I bought DOOM Eternal digitally since it came out just as the pandemic hit. Besides Nier Replicant, I can't remember the last game for the PS4 I bought physcially. Maybe the Spyro remakes. This also applies to collector editions and whatnot. I got a couple of beautiful steel cases with art books for the Tomb Raider games, but they just sit there on the shelf, rarely looked at.

But that's just me. Obviously not trying to change anyone's mind. This was just on my mind lately.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

I spent several hours this weekend with Skyward Sword HD, and I'm loving it!
The button controls took a short bit to get used to, but like with any game, it's now intuitive.
The graphics are beautiful. I love that when I pick up a repeated item that I'm not reminded what it is a million times. Fi is only coming out for story related purposes or when you call her, and that is a great improvement.
On the Wii, I got frustrated with the controls, so I didn't 100% the game. But I'm feeling more in it this time, so definitely going to try to get everything.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Hey all!
How was your July?
What games are you playing now?
I'm about 40 hours into Skyward Sword HD. The changes they made to the controls, the quality of life, and FI really improve this game greatly.
Hope all is well!
July wasent nothing much but workin like crazy and still goin thru the divorce process. I’ve been playing a lot of Mario Golf, and I’m still on MH:Rise building weapons and armors.

Get someone who can properly apply it to do it for you, if you could.

It's no big deal if you don't utilise the portable aspect. It's there whenever a moment comes where you'll need it. I use the Switch undocked a lot unless I'm playing with family. Most of the games I have at the moment are ones I've played before and indie titles, so I have no desire to see them on a big screen. It just feels good somehow to just lie somewhere comfortable in whatever outlandish position or environment and just play something. The benefit of being able to set your mood by the location you choose is what makes portable gaming systems special to me.

Some movies are more enjoyable in theatres or with company. It's kinda like that. I still have fond memories of Yoshi Island DS because of where I got to play it.
Well I guess I'm gonna get the Switch OLED to experience handheld gaming better! lol

And this time I'll get the screen protector applied for it. OLED is simply more immersive than LCD and I'm happy Nintendo is trying to move over to OLED as that to me is the future of display.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the base Switch but the screen and the QoL the OLED one has is too good for me to miss it.

In all seriousness though, the flak the Switch OLED is receiving is terrible. Its not Nintendo's fault that you got information from sources that aren't credible to say and its not their fault for not doing what YOU want them to do.

I mean...having an OLED screen is one thing but then asking them to change the architecture, then make it 4K and on top of it all, have DLISS Nvidia is too much. I'm sorry but that would only make Nintendo lose more money than make more. This is almost the kinda thing Sony tried with the Vita but that failed and I don't think the OLED will flop that much. If anything, it'll perform even more than base Switch.

As for me, well firstly thanks @Juegos for the help again!. And as of now I'm playing Blaster Master Zero 3 and its as awesome as the previous ones!

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Hey all!
How was your July?
What games are you playing now?
I'm about 40 hours into Skyward Sword HD. The changes they made to the controls, the quality of life, and FI really improve this game greatly.
Hope all is well!
July was busy, but good overall.

My Wife and I got back a few days ago from a +4000 mile trip to Washington to visit her Aunt and Uncle, and me meeting them for the first time. What an awesome road trip that was, although we have vowed to never drive from Madison, WI to Seattle, WA in one go ever again. We left at 630am CST that Saturday, and walked through their front door at 1230pm PST Sunday. We only took a 2hr break at 230am to get some sleep. My Wife said in her earlier years, she did that trip multiple times straight through. I'm sure she did, but she's not in her early 20s anymore.

I loved meeting her relatives, and already look forward to driving back out there in another year or two. They're good people.

The state of Washington was glorious with a ton of views, mountains, and other scenery, and the air is soooo clean there. We also spent a little time in Montana, and also got an unexpected bit of information about some family friends who just happened to live in Montana, so we spent the night there on our way back home. What a view that is overlooking Custer National Forest right in their backyard. I mean, damn.

We also on our way back home tried AirBnB's for the first time. We spent one night in Spokane, and that AirBnB wasn't that great mostly because the bed itself had stains on it, and someone's hair was leftover. Clearly, they were more concerned about presentation, and making sure the towels were all nicely presented than if the bed was actually clean. Also, the process for getting the key, and the parking permit was a hassle (get the key from the Host's Bar they own about a 1/2 mile away, use the key to enter the building complex and the room, grab the parking permit, and then finally park the car in the proper lot), especially since it's in downtown Spokane. We slept as long as we could, and left promptly around 5am the next morning. Our next one was in Billings, MT, and that was much better than the previous one. We had intended on staying for two nights, but then we got in touch with those friends who live about an hour away, and decided to stay the night with them. Luckily, the host of that AirBnb was very understanding, and we did not even ask for a refund for that night. He said he would give us a discount if we're in the area next time. Our final AirBnB stop was in Rapid City, SD, and that was the best one yet. A lovely English lady was the host, actually wanted to meet us, showed us the room, answered questions, and was super nice. If we're in Rapid City again (lets say to go visit Badlands, or Mt. Rushmore), we will gladly stay at her place again.

It sounds like AirBnb's can be hit or miss, but there's a good checks and balances system similar to what Uber/Lyft do with reviewing both parties, so it does keep people honest for the most part. We've done Hotels for years, so this was more of an experiment to test the waters. When we go back to Kentucky for more Bourbon in another year or two (and hopefully next time go visit @mattavelle1 , and his kids), we'll definitely try out AirBnB.

We miss Washington greatly now that we're back, and my Wife, who used to live out there for a short period of time, wants to go live out there again, but she also promised herself she would never move again. I told her we can discuss options when we retire, and both sets of parents have passed on (I want to be close to my parents, and her Mom).

I'm actually glad Nintendo is holding off on making an upgraded Switch, it means they have more time to fine tune and beef it up
Long time no see @GaemzDoodCannotLogin. It's been a while.
Been alright, thanks for asking. Got locked out of the account I made after getting locked out of my original account lol, and chatting till I get all three of these deleted. How've you been?

Last edited:
You guys ever notice how profoundly mediocre games tend to almost always get fantastic sequels? That's why I get soured when games like P.N.03 and even Devil's Third aren't followed up
Does Mortal Kombat even know what it's trying to do these days? I remember the days of the SNES MK games, so are the current games in anyway like the classic ones, or has it evolved beyond that?
It's Smash Bros. with gen X action heroes

Last edited:

MANGANian

I'm actually glad Nintendo is holding off on making an upgraded Switch, it means they have more time to fine tune and beef it up

Been alright, thanks for asking. Got locked out of the account I made after getting locked out of my original account lol, and chatting till I get all three of these deleted. How've you been?
I'm definitely existing, is the best way I could put it. I'm a bit behind schedule with some life-altering plans but overall I have little to complain about.

You guys ever notice how profoundly mediocre games tend to almost always get fantastic sequels? That's why I get soured when games like P.N.03 and even Devil's Third aren't followed up
Uncharted comes to mind. I've wanted a sequel of Remember Me for so long but I think that DONTNOD rather forget about its existence. It's a shame because the game has a beautiful soundtrack, and the combat and level design need some changes that's apparent to players to make the game into the potential that was oozing from it. Seriously, the environmental design was so enticing that this was one of those games I felt could've benefited from not being a series of linear corridors.

I'm definitely existing, is the best way I could put it. I'm a bit behind schedule with some life-altering plans but overall I have little to complain about.

Uncharted comes to mind. I've wanted a sequel of Remember Me for so long but I think that DONTNOD rather forget about its existence. It's a shame because the game has a beautiful soundtrack, and the combat and level design need some changes that's apparent to players to make the game into the potential that was oozing from it. Seriously, the environmental design was so enticing that this was one of those games I felt could've benefited from not being a series of linear corridors.
One struggle lol

Remember Me was really interesting. I feel like the bland environments were a sacrifice for the then ahead of the curb graphics it was pushing, which, in a rare instance, actually contributed to the game's artistic direction

sjmartin79

@sjmartin79

I see Fred is on its way towards the Gulf coast. Stay safe out there you, and your family, and hope it doesn't get too bad with the rain, and winds!
Hey @Shoulder - Thank you!
And thankfully, Fred stayed further off the coast than they originally thought. So we just got rain, and thankfully again not as much as they originally thought. We also lucked out that Grace is headed West toward Mexico instead of coming right at the state like originally thought.

sjmartin79

Have any of you played Paper Mario - Origami King?
I'm about 75% done with it now, and I have to say, other than some repetitiveness with the battle system, it's a pretty incredible game. I enjoy the puzzles, the story, the dialogue. It's a good time.
Huge improvement from Sticker Star.

I'm currently playing Axiom Verge 2, and I'm not really enjoying it. The fact he decided to take away all the incredible weapons from the first and replace it with melee, is head scratching. Also not helping is these are some of the most annoying enemies I've encountered in a game in awhile.

Have any of you played Paper Mario - Origami King?
I'm about 75% done with it now, and I have to say, other than some repetitiveness with the battle system, it's a pretty incredible game. I enjoy the puzzles, the story, the dialogue. It's a good time.
Huge improvement from Sticker Star.
Have you played Color Splash? I llked the game but as time went on I grew more and more bored with it. I managed to finish it but I don't know if I'm up for another experience like that. The fact you said this battle system is repetitive gives me caution. I'm torn whether to pick it up or not. Are the levels fun to explore at least?

MANGANian

I'm currently playing Axiom Verge 2, and I'm not really enjoying it. The fact he decided to take away all the incredible weapons from the first and replace it with melee, is head scratching. Also not helping is these are some of the most annoying enemies I've encountered in a game in awhile.
I took it off my wishlist as soon as I heard he basically kept all the worst parts of the previous game and got rid of the better parts. It's cool that you can avoid boss battles now, but why not just make them interesting in the first place? I was really looking forward to it, but now I'm more excited over Mortal Shell DLC that's coming out later today, if not already, so I'm not too bothered by it.

On the other hand, some Metroidvania called Greak was released today for the Switch. It looks interesting, so I'll substitute Axiom Verge 2 for that instead.

sjmartin79

Have you played Color Splash? I llked the game but as time went on I grew more and more bored with it. I managed to finish it but I don't know if I'm up for another experience like that. The fact you said this battle system is repetitive gives me caution. I'm torn whether to pick it up or not. Are the levels fun to explore at least?
That makes me sad about Axiom Verge 2. I picked it up the day it came out because of how much I loved the first.

No, didn't play color splash. After how burned I was on Sticker Star, I couldn't do it. Only reason we have this one is Target had it on sale for like $25 in June. Seemed like a good price to say "let's try it". And I'm glad we did.
Though the battle system itself could get repetitive, it never made me want to quit.
The boss battles in Origami King are fantastic, and you have to put some thought into how you're going to do it, and each boss is different.
With the regular battles, you're on a Trivial Pursuit Pie that also has rows cut into the pie pieces. Before you attack, you're given a chance to move the rows and columns so that the enemies are lined up in column of 4 or a set with two rows two high with an enemy in each, still equaling 4. Then you have to determine what weapon you have to use on each, as some weapons won't work. I will also say that the line-them-up puzzles were not always easy. If you got it right, you got bonus power on your attacks. If you don't get it, you seem slightly less powerful, so there is motivation to get it right. Also, as you get stronger, there are enemies you can squash with your hammer in the level and it won't even trigger a battle, so that definitely was a good thing.
I loved exploring the levels! Each one is different, and nothing feels the same in terms of how you get to the castle/dungeon part of each level.
I'm in the final castle right now, and if they said the game was getting a sequel, and it would have the same battle system, I would still buy the game on day 1.

I took it off my wishlist as soon as I heard he basically kept all the worst parts of the previous game and got rid of the better parts. It's cool that you can avoid boss battles now, but why not just make them interesting in the first place? I was really looking forward to it, but now I'm more excited over Mortal Shell DLC that's coming out later today, if not already, so I'm not too bothered by it.

On the other hand, some Metroidvania called Greak was released today for the Switch. It looks interesting, so I'll substitute Axiom Verge 2 for that instead.
I just looked up the trailer for Greak, I think I saw it before but that trailer got me interested. If you get it be sure to give your thoughts.

That makes me sad about Axiom Verge 2. I picked it up the day it came out because of how much I loved the first.

No, didn't play color splash. After how burned I was on Sticker Star, I couldn't do it. Only reason we have this one is Target had it on sale for like $25 in June. Seemed like a good price to say "let's try it". And I'm glad we did.
Though the battle system itself could get repetitive, it never made me want to quit.
The boss battles in Origami King are fantastic, and you have to put some thought into how you're going to do it, and each boss is different.
With the regular battles, you're on a Trivial Pursuit Pie that also has rows cut into the pie pieces. Before you attack, you're given a chance to move the rows and columns so that the enemies are lined up in column of 4 or a set with two rows two high with an enemy in each, still equaling 4. Then you have to determine what weapon you have to use on each, as some weapons won't work. I will also say that the line-them-up puzzles were not always easy. If you got it right, you got bonus power on your attacks. If you don't get it, you seem slightly less powerful, so there is motivation to get it right. Also, as you get stronger, there are enemies you can squash with your hammer in the level and it won't even trigger a battle, so that definitely was a good thing.
I loved exploring the levels! Each one is different, and nothing feels the same in terms of how you get to the castle/dungeon part of each level.
I'm in the final castle right now, and if they said the game was getting a sequel, and it would have the same battle system, I would still buy the game on day 1.
I'll probably get it one day then. I'm waiting on Xenoblade to arrive in the mail, and I'm almost convinced to give S.T.A.L.K.E.R. a go since @Shoulder wrote up about it in the games completion thread.

Color Splash, from what I remember, each area kinda played out the same. Different puzzles and whatnot, but I do remember being ready for the credits. It's a shame Nintendo games rarely go on sale, or rarer for a permanent price drop, but I'll keep on eye out. Thanks.

It's pretty easy to see why IGN gave Goldeneye's Wiiboot a 9/10 after seriously playing it. The movement controls took Call of Duty a whole generation to surpass, the AI is surprisingly competent even on the easiest difficulty setting, the animations for NPCs during gameplay are excellent and lend gunplay great feedback, there's lots of customization down to whether or not you want health regeneration (something I still don't like in games after all these years), and instead of throwing a large number of familiar feeling weapons at you, they give small but functionally diverse set of tools that are accompanied with solid sound effects and weighty handling. And they use some visual effects I wouldn't expect from a Wii game, such as simulated weather effects, planar reflections everywhere, an attempt at simulating what I think is HDR lighting, and destructible cover. Sure, it's similar to the shooters that were trendy at the time, but it's also a lot better than most of them

The Wii and DS were "casual" consoles, broadly speaking, and from a business perspective, it's easy to see why Nintendo went down that route. But the few "hardcore" games both consoles, though more so the Wii, got were extremely polished, to where even games like The Conduit had more polish than your average "generic" shooters on the PS360⁠—perhaps it was down to developers feeling like they had more to prove, which, broadly speaking, is a great driver of innovation in the game industry, as well as the lower development costs (which were admittedly possible due to the weaker specs). Said it before in an odd way, but I still think it would've been sweet if the GameCube lived up to its potential and wasn't a market flop so we could've gotten a motion controlled console with Wii U⁠, but with a better CPU⁠, hardware and a superior online ecosystem, because considering what developers who took their craft seriously still pulled off with the Wii, one has to wonder what they could've done on better hardware with a more familiar market while possessing the same time and ambition. Maybe RE & Dead Space games that were dedicated horror titles instead of (gorgeous looking) rail shooters? Perhaps the online console gaming landscape would've changed to emphasize actual skill by forcing players to use their own body's inputs, as that one YouTube creator talked about. Probably the last time I'll reflect on this era

Last edited:

sjmartin79

Good afternoon TNE!

It's been awhile since I've written. The Pandemic has really gotten to me recently. Not really interested in usual activities. Even with my birthday coming up next week. I haven't played any video games for a bit. I'm excited about Metroid Dread, but having a hard time getting into anything else before then. I'm sure this will pass.

How are you guys doing?
Looks like it's been awhile since anyone has posted here, so let's do a TNE round up.
Post and let us know what's up and how you all are feeling.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Good afternoon TNE!

It's been awhile since I've written. The Pandemic has really gotten to me recently. Not really interested in usual activities. Even with my birthday coming up next week. I haven't played any video games for a bit. I'm excited about Metroid Dread, but having a hard time getting into anything else before then. I'm sure this will pass.

How are you guys doing?
Looks like it's been awhile since anyone has posted here, so let's do a TNE round up.
Post and let us know what's up and how you all are feeling.
The whole world feels different to me all in all Sjm to be honest. And the longer the pandemic goes on the more reclusive I’ve been.

The divorce is still goin on, she filed the papers…………but won’t finish the signing of the papers to end it all. She has an amount of money made up in her head I’m sure that she feels like she’s owned, when I’m certain she’s not owed that. So much so that I’m willing to take her to court but with the pandemic my court date is 1/22/22 which sucks.

The boys and I are good, I’ve had them about 75% of the time since May so that’s been a big plus. We are trying to slide into something new and they have been great, and I’ve been better since she moved out in May.

I’m still around, it’s just been hard to post. I’ve been busy when I do and don’t have the boys. I’m trying to get past all this so that I can land on my feet and get my life back in order. Things are starting to fall into place tho.

I’m still playing MH:R like a fiend when I can and still way cracked out on Tetris99. Can’t wait for Dread tho I got it preordered

sjmartin79

The whole world feels different to me all in all Sjm to be honest. And the longer the pandemic goes on the more reclusive I’ve been.

The divorce is still goin on, she filed the papers…………but won’t finish the signing of the papers to end it all. She has an amount of money made up in her head I’m sure that she feels like she’s owned, when I’m certain she’s not owed that. So much so that I’m willing to take her to court but with the pandemic my court date is 1/22/22 which sucks.

The boys and I are good, I’ve had them about 75% of the time since May so that’s been a big plus. We are trying to slide into something new and they have been great, and I’ve been better since she moved out in May.

I’m still around, it’s just been hard to post. I’ve been busy when I do and don’t have the boys. I’m trying to get past all this so that I can land on my feet and get my life back in order. Things are starting to fall into place tho.

I’m still playing MH:R like a fiend when I can and still way cracked out on Tetris99. Can’t wait for Dread tho I got it preordered
I'm sending good thoughts your way, my friend. And I know what you mean about being reclusive. I'm usually quite social and outgoing, but I haven't had the energy to "people".

Last night on the direct, I was most excited about Actraiser: Renaissance, and I immediately thought of you, because I remember that the original was a favorite of yours.
I immediately bought it, and I'll start on it after Metroid Dread.

Stay strong. Things will get back in order.

If my Series S didn't arrive in the mail yesterday I probably would have bought Actraiser on the spot. Instead, it will wait a bit. Kirby and the Forgotten Lands is probably my most anticipated game now. As great as Bayonetta 3 and BOTW 2 will be, we've never had a 3D Kirby before, and I've been wanting one for so long now.

In terms of the pandemic, my mental health tanked on a couple of occasions. I got a doctor's appointment for next Friday for unrelated things, so I'm kinda stressing out over it, but I'm sure everything's fine. Tonight I'm just gonna play Xbox and bake a few things for a friend's birthday tomorrow.

I've had times before where I couldn't bring myself to get off the couch, even before covid. Last year with covid and lockdowns on top of that, it was really rough. No shame, I ended up talked to a therapist. My doctor also said meds could be an option. I always get the "winter blues", so we'll see how I am this year. My province admittedly handled covid pretty well, we "only" have around 60 cases across the island, so I'm not fearful of my life or anything, just sucks when you live alone and you're told by the government to stay home and don't visit anyone for an unknown amount of time. I've always been cool to stay in on weekends and do my own thing, but if I don't see anyone for a week or two, I start getting antsy and whatnot. The last month was great because I had a wedding to go to, and the bachelor party, a friend came down from Ontario so a few of us got together, and a few other get-togethers. Tomorrow I have a double birthday party to go to, but after that, things are gonna calm down again.

Yeah, shit's rough everywhere.

edit: With today's numbers, Newfoundland has 109 active cases.

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm sending good thoughts your way, my friend. And I know what you mean about being reclusive. I'm usually quite social and outgoing, but I haven't had the energy to "people".

Last night on the direct, I was most excited about Actraiser: Renaissance, and I immediately thought of you, because I remember that the original was a favorite of yours.
I immediately bought it, and I'll start on it after Metroid Dread.

Stay strong. Things will get back in order.
I really appreciate that across the board. And what’s this about Actraiser???? I’m have to check that out because your right I loved the first one so much!!!

@CitizenOfVerona no shame at all I’ve been actively seeing a therapist since last November and it’s been one of the best things I could do for myself to be honest. And I now encourage people to go there should be no shitty stigma attached to seeing someone for mental health reasons. But there is and it’s BS but we’re better for goin than not remember that.

I really appreciate that across the board. And what’s this about Actraiser???? I’m have to check that out because your right I loved the first one so much!!!

@CitizenOfVerona no shame at all I’ve been actively seeing a therapist since last November and it’s been one of the best things I could do for myself to be honest. And I now encourage people to go there should be no shitty stigma attached to seeing someone for mental health reasons. But there is and it’s BS but we’re better for goin than not remember that.
It is a shame for sure about that stigma. It was pretty hard for me going, but once I did I realized I should have gone around...15 years ago. Oh well, better late than never I guess. Glad to hear your experience with them is going well for you.

sjmartin79

If my Series S didn't arrive in the mail yesterday I probably would have bought Actraiser on the spot. Instead, it will wait a bit. Kirby and the Forgotten Lands is probably my most anticipated game now. As great as Bayonetta 3 and BOTW 2 will be, we've never had a 3D Kirby before, and I've been wanting one for so long now.

In terms of the pandemic, my mental health tanked on a couple of occasions. I got a doctor's appointment for next Friday for unrelated things, so I'm kinda stressing out over it, but I'm sure everything's fine. Tonight I'm just gonna play Xbox and bake a few things for a friend's birthday tomorrow.

I've had times before where I couldn't bring myself to get off the couch, even before covid. Last year with covid and lockdowns on top of that, it was really rough. No shame, I ended up talked to a therapist. My doctor also said meds could be an option. I always get the "winter blues", so we'll see how I am this year. My province admittedly handled covid pretty well, we "only" have around 60 cases across the island, so I'm not fearful of my life or anything, just sucks when you live alone and you're told by the government to stay home and don't visit anyone for an unknown amount of time. I've always been cool to stay in on weekends and do my own thing, but if I don't see anyone for a week or two, I start getting antsy and whatnot. The last month was great because I had a wedding to go to, and the bachelor party, a friend came down from Ontario so a few of us got together, and a few other get-togethers. Tomorrow I have a double birthday party to go to, but after that, things are gonna calm down again.

Yeah, shit's rough everywhere.

edit: With today's numbers, Newfoundland has 109 active cases.
Definitely glad you talked to a therapist. Definitely no shame in that at all.
I hate that there is still a stigma against mental health, but the fastest way to break that, as we are doing here, is to talk about it.

Do you have one of those UV lamps for seasonal affective disorder?

Sending positive energy your way!

sjmartin79

Has anyone ever played the "Boderlands" games? I haven't played them, and can't figure out if I'd like them.
I did love BioShock as well as Outer Worlds.
Any advice is appreciated!

Definitely glad you talked to a therapist. Definitely no shame in that at all.
I hate that there is still a stigma against mental health, but the fastest way to break that, as we are doing here, is to talk about it.

Do you have one of those UV lamps for seasonal affective disorder?

Sending positive energy your way!
I don't have a UV Lamp but it is something I should keep an eye out for. If I'm not mistaken there are also UV light bulbs to buy for normal lamps?

Thanks for the kind words. It's usually around this time of year when shit goes south.

A couple of days ago I realized I didn't make a Halloween thread like I usually do. I guess it isn't such a big deal, only less than a handful of people post regularly anymore, and even then this CT could go a week without any. So I'll just post my October stuff here.

To start, I turned 30 a few days ago. I wasn't looking forward to it. To make things better I hurt my neck three times doing simple things: going to bed, shampooing my hair, and trying to pick up a yoga matt. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling so hot about it. But now that I've been 30 for a few days, it's nothing.

Since this year is going by at ludicrous speed, it doesn't feel like October. Dread releasing today doesn't feel right, and I'm not really in the mood for the spooky season. Yesterday I did listen to Creature Feature, and a couple of friends and I watched Monster Squad. So it's starting to sink in a bit. After Dread, I may play Dead Space, but since I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Xbox, I might jump in Fable and see what I've been missing with that series, if anything.

I think next movie night with the crew will be Nightmare on Elm Street 3. I've been slowly getting them to watch them. I think I may skip 5 and 6 though haha.

Speaking of Dread, as hard as it will be, I don't think I'll play it until Sunday. I'm almost finished Halo 3, tomorrow is my step-mom's birthday so we're having a joint thing, then Sunday is Canadian Thanksgiving. So yeah, a lot of family time this weekend. Also on call until Sunday evening and off Monday and Tuesday. So once Sunday evening hits I'll dive into Dread and slam it out.

sjmartin79

A couple of days ago I realized I didn't make a Halloween thread like I usually do. I guess it isn't such a big deal, only less than a handful of people post regularly anymore, and even then this CT could go a week without any. So I'll just post my October stuff here.

To start, I turned 30 a few days ago. I wasn't looking forward to it. To make things better I hurt my neck three times doing simple things: going to bed, shampooing my hair, and trying to pick up a yoga matt. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling so hot about it. But now that I've been 30 for a few days, it's nothing.

Since this year is going by at ludicrous speed, it doesn't feel like October. Dread releasing today doesn't feel right, and I'm not really in the mood for the spooky season. Yesterday I did listen to Creature Feature, and a couple of friends and I watched Monster Squad. So it's starting to sink in a bit. After Dread, I may play Dead Space, but since I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Xbox, I might jump in Fable and see what I've been missing with that series, if anything.

I think next movie night with the crew will be Nightmare on Elm Street 3. I've been slowly getting them to watch them. I think I may skip 5 and 6 though haha.

Speaking of Dread, as hard as it will be, I don't think I'll play it until Sunday. I'm almost finished Halo 3, tomorrow is my step-mom's birthday so we're having a joint thing, then Sunday is Canadian Thanksgiving. So yeah, a lot of family time this weekend. Also on call until Sunday evening and off Monday and Tuesday. So once Sunday evening hits I'll dive into Dread and slam it out.
Happy Belated Birthday!

So far, for October, we recorded an episode of our podcast featuring Halloween 2018. I also watched "Halloween (OG", "Halloween (2018)", "Squid Game", "Slasher: Flesh and Blood", and "Queen of the Damned". Kinda slow start to my October watching. I need to get on that.

How is the world are y’all beating Dread so fast??? I’m only on 48% items and I’m 10 hours in on the playtime and I’m as lost again as last years Easter eggs………
This.
I'm trying to space out my time. I'm not sure how many hours I'm into it. I found
Kraid
but I decided I wasn't ready for it, so I'm crawling over every inch of the map that I have opened so far with the abilities I've found trying to unlock all the secrets I can. When I play Metroid games, I know I spend way too much time on exploration (even going back over areas multiple times), but I love it.
I love the difficulty level with the game though. Wasn't expecting that, but it is appreciated.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Just want to give a shot out to Matty....

Been thinking about you bro....

Hope all is well on your end....
Appreciate that @TheAmazingLSB it’s not great, but I’m making it as best as I can. Still not divorced she’s stalled it out terrible. I got the boys the majority of the time so that’s been great and there more stable.

To be honest you brought me back LSB. I wish times were simpler to be honest or different.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Posting from my new Chromebook. I've probably posted less here than ever because I lacked a reliable computer with a keyboard.

Ay, I noticed. Halloween isn't Halloween without some Cheshire action. Had to come here to get it.

sjmartin79

Finished Metroid Dread this weekend, and now I'm on to ActRaiser: Resurrection.
I love the changes they've made to it. Definitely a more "full" game.
Any old-school ActRaiser fans try the new one yet?