The Great CT - Community Thread

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Oh man...I sure miss TNE.

How you folks doing? I need an update.

I'm currently doing alright but just absolutely bogged down with work as usual.

I've managed to drop around 40 to 50 lbs since I posted here regularly. Also, kind of had a problem with the whole getting injured and not walking for nearly a month in May but have since then recovered after months of physical therapy. I am back up and running in the gym...and well...everywhere.

Anyway, just wanted to let you folks know that I miss hanging around with y'all. I don't drop by GW or much social media because I kind of avoid my computer due to the whole overworked thing. Of course, it could also be the whole desire to avoid technology since we were inundated with it so much during the pandemic. I also hate typing on cell phones. My podcast has kind of died down for the same reason but I'm hoping to get started up with that in the near future.

I have also joined the dark side and tend to game on my Xbox Series X more than anything. I have a couple of friends that I visit often convinced me to get more involved in that ecosystem and to be honest...it's way easier to just kick it with friends when it's all built in. I really wish Nintendo would take a look at what Microsoft is doing and still some ideas there. I miss the magic of Nintendo.

Alright, enough rambling. I'm off next week and expect to play some sort of game with y'all! Rocket League or Smash maybe?

Black Friday sales are starting up so I splurged a bit for myself. Bought Tales of Arise, Journey to the Savage Planet, Metal Gear Rising and Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition + Duke Nukem add on. Since my ps3 is a bust I needed to rebuy Metal Gear (I need those rules of nature in my life) and Bulletstorm. I saw some footage of Duke in BS and it looks pretty funny to me, hopefully it's worth 5 buckeroos.

I'll save Tales of Arise for the Christmas/New Year's timeframe, as I tend to play JRPG's around then. Very much looking forward to it. I also have to play Ori and the Blind Forest. Phew lad, there's some quality gaming to be had.

I started reading The Axeman's Jazz again since the final book in that series is due out in a few months. Very good read, highly recommend.

Also still drawing, trying to learn human faces and it suuuucks. Even though I'm just trying more cartoony/anime style, it's still pretty difficult.

Normally around October is when I start getting the winter blues/seasonal disorder, but so far this year I'm mostly holding on. Couldn't really peel myself off the couch the other day, and work is starting to be more "bleh" again, but the fact I'm actually reading, drawing, and talking around friends is a good sign. Hopefully it stays this way, but once it starts snowing regularly will be the rest test.

Oh man...I sure miss TNE.

How you folks doing? I need an update.

I'm currently doing alright but just absolutely bogged down with work as usual.

I've managed to drop around 40 to 50 lbs since I posted here regularly. Also, kind of had a problem with the whole getting injured and not walking for nearly a month in May but have since then recovered after months of physical therapy. I am back up and running in the gym...and well...everywhere.

Anyway, just wanted to let you folks know that I miss hanging around with y'all. I don't drop by GW or much social media because I kind of avoid my computer due to the whole overworked thing. Of course, it could also be the whole desire to avoid technology since we were inundated with it so much during the pandemic. I also hate typing on cell phones. My podcast has kind of died down for the same reason but I'm hoping to get started up with that in the near future.

I have also joined the dark side and tend to game on my Xbox Series X more than anything. I have a couple of friends that I visit often convinced me to get more involved in that ecosystem and to be honest...it's way easier to just kick it with friends when it's all built in. I really wish Nintendo would take a look at what Microsoft is doing and still some ideas there. I miss the magic of Nintendo.

Alright, enough rambling. I'm off next week and expect to play some sort of game with y'all! Rocket League or Smash maybe?
Good to hear from you. I too have mostly been gaming the Series S besides the few game nights on Switch/PS4. A few friends of mine play Smash and Rocket League every second Sunday, but we just use Discord. I also use Discord with Kark and ET whenever we co-op, so it's just something I'm use to using at this point, I don't even know how party chat works on Xbox haha.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Hey TNE!
This week will be busy, as it seems all weeks have been recently, so I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving now so I don't miss it later.
I hope you have a day that is free from negativity and strife and full of good food and laughter.

Sending my best to you all!

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Hey TNE!
This week will be busy, as it seems all weeks have been recently, so I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving now so I don't miss it later.
I hope you have a day that is free from negativity and strife and full of good food and laughter.

Sending my best to you all!
I'm working on removing negativity, or at least learning from my mistakes.

The biggest mistake I made this year is I did not build the 10x14 shed in our backyard when I should've. Work should've began as early as April, but I kept putting off getting the building permit, and only just got it approved in August. I then waited another 2 months before pouring the concrete foundation because I was working out of town, which also took longer than I was hoping (working 70-80hrs/week was not fun).

Pouring the foundation itself also did not go as planned. It took multiple attempts to get even get through to the concrete supplier, and while I did do some calculations for how much I needed, I ended up being about 1/2 cu. yrd short. This problem was compounded because I rented a Concrete buggy to transport the concrete from the truck to my backyard since a redi-mix truck would not be able to make it into my driveway and backyard. The buggy died on me (it was later determined I accidently hit the kill-switch), forcing me to practically hand carry small loads of concrete ~150-200ft. I then ran short on concrete, which I asked the supplier to send more, but they refused because I was taking so long (Fuck you, guys!) I then decided to buy bags of concrete to finish it off, but I miscalculated on that, and was still short. I manage to finish half of the slab, and the other half was not completely finished. I would then buy another load of bags to finish it off...again, and only got that done last week.

It hasn't helped that temperatures are dropping, so time is against me in getting this done. I did, however make some progress this weekend though by starting the building process of the shed itself, which will end up bolted to the shed slab in the end.

All that is left for the shed is to put the pieces together, which in theory should take an entirely day with my wife helping out.

But I still live in regret because I did not do all of this about 6 months earlier like I should've. Originally, I was planning to have the shed done by late May, but was then going to be done before our trip to Washington. Delayed again, I was going to make sure the permit was submitted by the time of our trip. Once I got the permit in late August, I began digging for the foundation itself, which took an entire week by hand, and wanted to have that done, the approval of the inspector, have it poured, and shed built by the end of October.

Now, my final deadline is this weekend, and this time I am determined to have it done. I'm done making excuses. I am still upset how the slab itself has turned out because I think it looks rather shitty, but I can deal with a lot of this after the shed is built. For now, I'm just going to get it built, and make sure it's built correctly, get all the garden, and outdoor stuff put in there to relieve space in the garage, and hopefully enjoy a nice big drink, and a good steak on the grill once it's all done.

I've been in the construction industry for almost 8 years now, and I've seen a lot of things being built. I've inspected shit, tested shit, and seen a lot of shit. But all of that felt hopeless when it came time to build this shed. Felt like a curse. You have this feeling in your head you can do all of this, and then discover you've made the same mistakes, and excuses as the contractors make all the time. I became the very thing I vowed to be better than.

I do, however, want to give a lot of props, thanks, and love to my very special Wife, Mrs. Shoulder who has been with me this entire time. Even when she was upset that I did not get it done when it was supposed to, she still offered her help, and her understanding. And when I admitted to her how I've fucked this all up, she calmly responds, "Me know. Me still love you."

If that's not love, then I don't know what is.