The Legend of Zelda - What can we expect...?

Based on what we know, do you think Zelda U is a true sequel to Zelda II: The Adventures of Link...?

• Total voters

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
1411301548-0.jpg

Well, we can expect quite a lot actually.... Since we know for a fact that this new Zelda is looking towards the very first NES game for inspiration....

I've been playing a lot of The Legend of Zelda (NES) lately and find myself giddy with anticipation for this new Zelda because of all the things I'm realizing about it in terms of what features from this game will make it into Zelda U in one form or another....

So let's break it down into things we haven't really seen since the original game....

THE OPEN WORLD BECKONS YOU ONCE AGAIN....

Not to say that Zelda games haven't been open world since the original, quite the contrary, as most do share an open world them within them....

The open world I'm talking about is a non linear one, one where you can tackle many different things, in many different ways, at your liesure.... The concept of this non linear world is what has been absent from more recent console Zelda games....

While they certainly take place in a open world enviorment, that enviorment has been very linear and the path with which you explore and enjoy it very controlled and calculated to move along the story....

Much like The Metroid series, barriers have been put in place at every corner to hinder us from experiencing the world as we see fit.... Not since the original Zelda have these kind of concepts of non linear design been in place within the world of Hyrule....

In the original Legend of Zelda you were free to explore many different options right from the start....

These kind of barriers were not in put in place at every corner you turned to lead you down a specified path through said open world.... You could explore most of the world at your liesure, and collect many different items that helped you become much stronger, all before you ever set foot inside a single dungeon....

In fact the original game encourages this kind of mentality in terms of how you should explore Hyrule a bit, get your feet wet persay, before you ever should even think about enetering a dungeon....

And speaking of dungeons, they were there, not in any particular order mind you, for you to enter from five minutes after you booted up the game....

They taunted you, beckoned you to enter, while at the same time instilling the fear of the unknown within you as well....

And usually that same fear would eventually entice you to venture inside, just to see what kind of horrors lay within....

I mean there was an ideal way to tackle the game if you wanted to do so, a certain order in which to do things that maximized your chances of beating the game, but you weren't forced down that path....

You were still free to explore different options and find out which of them best worked for you....

21.jpg

Like the first time I played the NES Zelda I ran right into the first dungeon I had found, not thinking about what I might find inside, not thinking about what enimies I might find, not thinking about if I needed any special items or weapons to proceed....

And I failed, miserably....

But that was part of the magic of the original game....

The dugeon was there, if you could find it, just waiting for you to enter it....

You didn't need a special item to get inside, even though once inside you might need one to defeat it....

It was the idea of "learning the hard way" through trial and error that was at the heart of what The Legend of Zelda was as a game.... And in the begining, no two people probably played Zelda the same way, which was very intentional within the games design....

So how does this pertain to the new Zelda U...?

Well, if these are the factors by which Nintendo is following in creating this new Zelda, we can expect to see these same design philosophies applied to open world within it....

That means....

Exploration based Non-Linear Dungeon locations that require nothing but courage to enter, but also may contain certain requirments or items to defeat....

An open world Map that is gameplay/expolration based and instantly accessible from the very start of the game without having to progress the story first....

Chances to acquire important items and gather a lot of strength long before ever having set foot inside a dungeon....

The ability to defeat some dungeons in random orders, having the potential to make each persons playthrough a bit different in terms of how they decide to tackle certain parts of the game....

Simpler puzzle elements within the world....

Heavier Christian like overtones within the game world.... Maybe not Bibles, but something more subtle....

Tons of mystery and hidden areas galore....

IN other words, a step back in the right direction for the series imo....

So I expect to see all of these things incorperated within the new Zelda, just in an updated form more in line with more modern game sensabilities....

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
WILL THE TIMELINE CONTINUE...?

The timeline in the Zelda games was hotly debated for many years until finally Nintendo schooled us all on what the timeline between The Legend of Zelda games actually looks like, and how all these stories are connected....

What we see in the timeline is that Nintendo has stedily been telling the story of Zelda backwards in time....

Having every game in the series after Adventures of Link take place before these two games, essentially making every Zelda after part II a prequel....

Nintendo has been telling this prequel story for years, culminating in what we beleive to be the final prequel in Skyward Sword....

Many have speculated that because Aonuma is deriving a lot of these games design philosophies from the first two Zelda games that Eiji san is about to finally take us back to the begining and move the Zelda timeline forward, thus making this new Zelda U the first official sequel to the timeline since Zelda II: The Adventures of Link....

So just for the sake of this idea we are going to only focus on the timeline which leads to Adventures of Link....

That would mean the Hero is Defeated by Ganon timeline....

By the time we get to the original Legend of Zelda on NES in the timeline, Hyrule is a very dark and dangerous place....

Now look and some of the footage showed at the VGAs this year of actual Zelda U gameplay....

They showed this gameplay footage at sunset to send a message imo....

The color scheme used in this gameplay demo mimics almost exactly the kind of colors we see used in a lot of the original two games art and graphics....

zelda3.jpg
z4-silver-arrow.jpg

Zelda-II-the-adventure-of-Link-Daily-Nintendo-19.jpg
You can actually see the similarities between these scenes and this gameplay demo, again hinting at when this game might take place....

Now let's look at the story from Zelda II: The Adventures of Link and see where we stand in terms of where this game might go next storywise....

"Several years after the events of The Legend of Zelda,[3] the now-sixteen-year-old Link notices a strange mark on the back of his left hand, exactly like the crest of Hyrule. He seeks out Impa, who responds by taking Link to the North Castle, where a door has been magically sealed for generations. Impa places the back of Link's left hand on the door, and it opens, revealing a sleeping maiden. Impa tells Link that the maiden is Zelda (not the Zelda from the first game), the princess of Hyrule from long ago, and the origin of the "Legend of Zelda". Zelda's brother had tried to force her into telling their recently deceased father's secrets concerning the last of three sacred golden triangle treasures of his kingdom, known collectively as the Triforce. Princess Zelda refused to reveal its location, and the prince's wizard friend, in anger, tried to strike her down with a spell. Zelda fell under a powerful sleeping spell, but the wizard was unable to control the wildly arcing magic and was killed by it. The prince, filled with remorse and unable to reverse the spell, had his sister placed in the castle tower, in the hope that she would one day be awakened. He decreed that princesses born to the royal family from that point on would be named Zelda, in remembrance of this tragedy.[2]

Impa says that the mark on Link's hand means that he is the hero chosen to awaken Zelda. She gives Link a chest containing six crystals and ancient writings that only a great future king of Hyrule can read. Link finds, although he's never seen the symbols before, that he can read it, and it indicates that each crystal needs to be placed in a different palace in Hyrule. This will open the way to the Great Palace, which contains the Triforce of Courage. This, combined with the other two parts, has the power to awaken the enchanted Zelda. Taking the crystals, Link sets out to restore them to their palaces. Meanwhile, the followers of Ganon are seeking to kill Link; sprinkling his blood on Ganon’s ashes would bring Ganon back to life.[2]

Ultimately, Link restores the crystals to the six palaces, and with the crystals in place, the entrance to the Great Palace is opened. After venturing deep inside, Link is made to battle a shadowy doppelgänger of himself known as Dark Link. Link then claims the Triforce of Courage and returns to Zelda. The three triangles unite into the collective Triforce, and Link's wish awakens Zelda.[1] The game ends as they (presumably) kiss under a falling curtain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_II:_The_Adventure_of_Link

So just from this we can see that Zelda II has continuity with the original game.... It takes place several years after the original Legend of Zelda, in which Link was apparently only 9 years old....

By the time Zelda II happens several years later, he is then only 16 years of age....

If we can expect this timeline to continue, does that mean we will finally get to see the the original Link from the first NES game grow up in Zelda U...?

Lets look at some of the early footage released of Zelda U....

So then the question becomes, well, how old is Link in these new scenes...? How old does he look to you...?

Older than 16...? He would have to be for this to be a true sequel to Zelda II....

To me, he definitley looks older than 16, but maybe not that much older....

Perhaps only by a couple of years....

Anyway, at the end of the Zelda II we see Link defeat his Shadow, awaken the actual Zelda from the Legend of Zelda, and reunite the Triforce into one whole piece....

With Link and Zelda to presumably live happiliy ever after....

But remember, Link is still alive, and his blood could potentially still bring back Ganon....

And remember guys, this isn't some different Link foiling the same Ganon's plans....

This is the same 9 year old boy who had defeated him just several years prior....

Could, for the first time in the series, we see an actual personal grudge match between these two titans of video games...?

You have to imagine that if Ganon's followers were eventually successful within the lifetime of this Link, that Ganon would be pretty pissed off and want to exact his vengence upon him....

Could we see for the first time in Zelda history Ganon return within the lifetime of the same Link...?

Let's hope so....

Cause I for one have been waiting over 20 some years to finally find out what happens next....

In the next part of this thread I will discuss the power of the Wii U vs any previous Nintendo console, and how that power is the driving force behind why Nintendo is finally going to be able to give us the Zelda game we have wanted since the original NES classic....

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
bd0451b1d67306081c3c1f31ad5b5fef0a8501e6.jpg

We know that the Wii U isn't near as strong as the PS4 and XBONE.... We know that....

That isn't what I'm going to discuss here....

What I'm discussing is the reletive power Nintendo has with the Wii U vs what is has had with it's past consoles, and explore how that relates to this new Zelda U....

The Feels....

So lets looks at some past Zelda gameplay elements that could possibly be enhanced by the power in the Wii U....

Light and Shadow is most predominatly on my mind....

I keep coming back to the candle in the original NES The Legend of Zelda....

I can then imagine myself entering a dungeon entrance, only a single torch (or magic candle?) to light my way....

Just the thought of creeping through the darkness, not knowing what lies just beyond the black vail, makes me get goosebumps....

These kind of moments, these kind of feels, are exactly what we have always wanted from our Zelda dungeon experience....

We want to be creeped out by the idea of entering the dark, the unknown....

And we also want that fear to push us forward into the abyss...

These kind of feels were almost completely absent from Skyward Sword, something I truly dispized about it....

The power of the Wii U, and the absence of motion controls, should help Nintendo get back to focusing on the feels that have helped make Zelda a worldwide sensation....

I fully expect to feel again, much like I did when my imagination ran wild playing the NES games, but this time, I won't have to use my imagination....

The Gamepad, will it change how we play Zelda....?
Another thing we can expect is Nintendo to fully utilize the Gamepad features in this new Zelda U....

What does that mean for us...?

It means probably getting one of the most streamlined interfaces in a Zelda game ever....

The Gamepad offers up tons of options when it comes to menu navigation alone....

And in that, we should see a revolution of sorts in the way we all play one of our favorite games....

The possibilities afforded by the Gamepad cause me to believe this will be the smoothest playing Zelda game yet, even without MotionPlus controls....

In other words, no more fumbling through menus to equip that much needed item or weapon....

You can look towards The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD to see exactly where the future of the series lies in terms of menu and item navigation....

That power is going to give Nintendo an incredibly larger pallete to paint this new Zelda than ever before.... Possibly breaking a lot of the conventions we have seen in more recent Zelda titles....

Zelda U is going to break the mold, not just for Zelda games, but for Action/Adveture games in general....

My next post will discuss how Zelda looks to outdo Skyrim at it's own game....

And why even if this new Zelda borrows from more modern titles like Skyrim, that titles like Skyrim borrowed from Zelda first, so it's ok....

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Agreed, please go on.
(But I do have one question, after Zelda II, with Link awakening the Zelda of lore, and 7 years prior he had rescued the Zelda of the current timeline - does this mean we have two Zeldas alive at once?)
Feel free to answer this when you're done with your amazing posts.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Agreed, please go on.
(But I do have one question, after Zelda II, with Link awakening the Zelda of lore, and 7 years prior he had rescued the Zelda of the current timeline - does this mean we have two Zeldas alive at once?)
Feel free to answer this when you're done with your amazing posts.
From the way I understand it, the Princess Zelda in the original Legend of Zelda is a one of the children born onto the royal family named Zelda in honor of the true Zelda, much like every other Zelda game....

So unless something happend to the Zelda from the first game, it would mean that there would be more than one Zelda in this timeline....

The decendent named in honor of the true princess Zelda fom the original game, and then the "actual" Princess Zelda that the Legend of Zelda actually refers to from Adventures of Link....

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
From the way I understand it, the Princess Zelda in the original Legend of Zelda is a one of the children bron onto the royal family named Zelda afterthe true Zelda....

So unless something happend to the Zelda from the frist game, it would mean that there would be more than one Zelda in this Timeline....

The decendent named in honor of the true princess Zelda, and the the "actual" Princess Zelda that the Legend of Zelda actually refers to....
Very interesting. That's what I was thinking.
So if there are 2, and this is a direct sequel to Zelda II, then I wonder if the two "Zeldas" could somehow come into play with this new game. (Going off the assumption that the rescued Zelda from the first game is still alive.)

Because we've seen that with each generation born, there is a new hero and a new Zelda and both have destinies that are preordained, etc. So if we have two, what does this mean for who is the rightful "heir" to the Triforce of Wisdom during this time period? Could this once in a forever occurrence of two Zeldas at the same time play into some larger nefarious plot by the followers of Ganon to resurrect their fallen leader?

If Nintendo does a Zelda II sequel, and they acknowledge the existence of two Zeldas at one time, this could open some interesting potentials never before seen in the series.

A true Zelda enthusiast if I ever saw one.

I said it before, and I'll say it again here. I love Zelda. Ocarina of Time has a special place in my heart. I rented it so many times before my dad caved and bought it for me. It was the last gamemy dad, my sister and I played together. We each had a save file and would watch each other play. If someone else discovered a secret I didn't find, I would be more excited to play my file to get that secret. It changed how I look at games. On the SNES, I was always a platformer person. Games were level based. But Ocarina was an adventure that opened my eyes.

That said, the last few Zelda's have been "okay" in my eyes. I couldn't really get into the DS ones. Skyward Sword was a good action game with great dungeons, but I felt the sky was empty and boring, and the ground was empty and boring too. I loved Twilight Princess when it came out, but the more I think about it, the more my opinion worsens because it is an empty world for the most part, and it's ridiculously easy. I need to play it again soon.

Link Between Worlds though is my favorite 3DS game. It, to me, truly brought back the adventure. I could do this next dungeon, or I can walk miles in the opposite direction. Hey look, a secret cave.

That's what Zelda is to me, an open ended adventure. If Zelda U can pull that off, it'll automatically be my favorite Wii U game.

Miyamoto said that there is tons to do that players may forget the story. I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, I would like more towns. If it's just one town again, I think it would be a massive issue. Ocarina had a town for every race, with different shops and people to talk too. If this game is gonna be huge, but it's all just outdoors ,idk, I think it'll be a missed opportunity. I would like towns to break up the world, to get my barrings, and to give a sense of wonder.

I'm damned excited, but 'm also a bit worried.

hogge

Umm...
I'm not going to write a massive exposition.

My thought when I saw the trailer was that the thing tied to Links arrow seems to have been some type of technological device. As was the "monster", which leads me to believe this game will take place in the time that Link travels back to in Skyward Sword.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Umm...
I'm not going to write a massive exposition.

My thought when I saw the trailer was that the thing tied to Links arrow seems to have been some type of technological device. As was the "monster", which leads me to believe this game will take place in the time that Link travels back to in Skyward Sword.
That would mean the timeline would be moving even further back into the past....

I honestly hope that isn't the case....

But, there is a strong possibility that Nintendo is not going to buck trends and continue to go further and further into the past to tell these stories....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
We want the Skyrim audience....

Truer words have never been spoken.... Nintendo does want the Skyrim audience....

This was first touched upon here....

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forum...lda-we-want-the-skyrim-audience-edition.2754/

But this is very true.... Why, you ask...?

Well because over the years the same kids who grew up playing The Legend of Zelda have slowly gravitated towards games like Skyrim over current Zelda games....

Why...?

Because games like Skyrim offer up gameplay that echoes what used to be found in the older Legend of Zelda games....

The exploration is at the forefront here....

And many of these current games have been influenced by earlier Zelda games, the only difference is that while Zelda has stayed at a almost constant since Ocarina of Time, games like Skyrim have attempted to move game philosphies like exploration into new territories....

But games like Skyrim are also incredibly dull in many respects due to the copy and paste nature of the game engine under it's hood....

Stilted animations coupled with uninteresting combat prove games like Skyrim also still need to improve in areas where games like The Legend of Zelda still excel....

Things like combat, animation, fluidity of motion, enemy animations, things like this, Zelda games do better than almost any other....

Now think about what I just said....

If you add the extremly evolved exploration elements present in games like Skyrim to the tried and true gameplay mechnics, smooth animations, interesting setting and enimies found withinin almost every Zelda game, you get a formula that could possibly yield some truly explosive results....

And I know what some of you are sayin to yourself....

This new Zelda is basically ripping off Skyrim in many ways....

But that couldn't be further from the truth....

While yes Skyrim has helped to evolve this gameplay principle, the priciple itself was almost exclusivly first encountered within The Legend of Zelda series....

So sure games like The Elder Scrolls have helped carry the torch over the years, as have many others, but the torch was first handed to them by Miyamoto san with his very first Zelda game....

So even if you see it as Nintendo stealing these kinds ideas or mechnics from current games like Skyrim and putting that into this new Zelda, just remember this....

These games have only been evolving a game formula that was first introduced to them by none other than the Legend of Zelda....

And guess what...?

Now Nintendo is ready to take it to the next level....

And that's all I got for now.... Feel free to call me out, give your own assumptions, and basically rip my OP to shreads....

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Finally read through your EPIC RAP posts.

As I've never played the original Zelda games, I don't know as much about those storylines with the exception of what I've heard with regards to the timeline itself, and how everything ties together in the eyes of Nintendo.

Run-on sentence aside, I would say given what we've heard from Anouma and what you've been able to muster together, a sequel to Zelda II is a strong possibility. The devil's in the details. Anouma talks about changing up the conventions of what more recent Zelda games have been doing, and what better way to do that than not only to take inspiration from the games which started it all, but also continue in that timeline which Nintendo settled on. And given what we already know with the timelines and the games that are tied to it, the Fallen Link timeline makes sense. I doubt this is a prequel to Skyward Sword or even to Ocarina of Time, because like you said, we've been doing prequels since Zelda II (something I hadn't considered).

It's become a case of, we have this massive backstory, but where does the story go on from here, and how does Nintendo drive it forward while still keeping to the heart of what makes The Legend of Zelda, The Legend of Zelda? Since there are three official timelines, it's almost limitless for Nintendo to create not only full-feature canon Zelda games, but even spin-offs related to the Zelda universe. I think there's thought that even Hyrule Warriors somehow fits into the Zelda universe, but I don't know for sure (speaking of which, I need to pick that up).

In fact, for future games, I think it would be cool to have spin-offs that could fill in gaps of the timeline before major events in the Zelda series. For example, what happens during the great flood that preceeds The Wind Waker? Or how about the timeline during where Link is defeated? How about that war that went on, or even after Twilight Princess, but before Four Swords + Hyrule Adventure? It's possible a lot of this is in the Hyrule Historia, but I don't have that, so I cannot comment on that right now.

Needless to say, I am excited to see where Nintendo takes us next in the Zelda universe, and if what you say turns out to be the case, we have something special in store for us Zelda fans.

ASuch

The Salt Master
Lsb stealing everyone elses theories like he Vince McMahon

But you know, maybe it is worth it. Maybe it's my Tapatalk signature.

Odo

I really like the way Zelda used to be, the dungeon and world exploration. But I also like the DS games gameplay. I like that simple puzzle focused dungeons and the linear story. It was fresh and fun.

So, I think Nintendo could make 3 kinds of Zelda:

Hyrule Decline - Deeper exploration
Dark World - Dark themes and balanced gameplay
New World - More linear, more fun and Toon Link

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I don't think completely non-linear is the best way to go. You can have the best of both worlds.

There are people who think Super Metroid is non-linear. They talk about the merits of non-linear design like being able to approach the game how they choose. I've even heard the "no one plays it the same" line.

As for the gamepad, I'm excited what they do. There are two mechanics already used in Zelda that I think would work well with the gamepad, time and dark world.

Using an item or whatever, Link could see both the light and dark world on both screens. There's a lot of possibility here with the interaction between worlds.

Zelda has used time a lot. I would like to see a mechanic where one screen shows the present and the other shows the future. You could see in real-time how your actions affect the future.

Lol, I'm just kidding. It' going to be maps, menus, and shit.

madjoypad

Triforce of power + Majora's mask = vengeance
i hope majora's mask is involved and maybe a young ganondorf who is like a brother to Link and you have a choice whether to save him from evil or kill him. maybe different tribes teach you different fighting techs and theres a job system as well. i also hope they make the game THEY want regarless of canon. if the game is great, which it will be, timeline wont really matter. this all makes sense in my head.. lol

Ex-Actarus

I think we can expect Nintendo to integrate some kind of "killer ap" features of the NX in the next Zelda game. But what exactly...

I strongly believe that Nintendo has a "winner" in the bank. ALL those bold moves from Nintendo recently : announcing NX prematurely, delaying Zelda next year/ E3 no show, focusing on 2015 titles at E3... All that means Nintendo is pretty confident about NX potential.

Keep in mind, they are ready to launch a next gen console 3 years after the PS4 and the Xbone One ! That's crazy ! In order for them to make something that bold, they must have something incredible up their sleeves : a"killer ap" for NX.

Remember folks, no one expected Double Screen and Touch screen tech for the DS. Nobody expected motion controls for the Wii. And who could have guessed 3D without glasses for the 3DS ? Nintendo is cooking something folks and we will taste it first with the next Zelda game :)

Shoulder

I think we can expect Nintendo to integrate some kind of "killer ap" features of the NX in the next Zelda game. But what exactly...

I strongly believe that Nintendo has a "winner" in the bank. ALL those bold moves from Nintendo recently : announcing NX prematurely, delaying Zelda next year/ E3 no show, focusing on 2015 titles at E3... All that means Nintendo is pretty confident about NX potential.

Keep in mind, they are ready to launch a next gen console 3 years after the PS4 and the Xbone One ! That's crazy ! In order for them to make something that bold, they must have something incredible up their sleeves : a"killer ap" for NX.

Remember folks, no one expected Double Screen and Touch screen tech for the DS. Nobody expected motion controls for the Wii. And who could have guessed 3D without glasses for the 3DS ? Nintendo is cooking something folks and we will taste it first with the next Zelda game :)
Double screens could mean one for each eye, which evolved into 3D, and we also have the motion controls. It's only logical that Nintendo are going into the route of VR with the NX.

Odo

Personally, I don't care about the delay, I wouldn't have enough time to play it this year.

But yes, it sucks.

I think I'll wait a bit before buying NX, I don't intend to get it on first day, because I wonder if Nintendo will be able to release enough games there. I still love Nintendo and I agree that half of Nintendo team is working on games for NX right now, but Nintendo didn't have enough games for 3DS when it came out, Nintendo took a while to release the killer Marios and now Zelda is for the last months of WiiU. So what are they going to do with NX? Did they learn all the lessons?

I know that NX is just the first step and I believe Nintendo will sort everything out, but right now my Nintendo trust rating is quite average.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
As far as the delay for myself. I'm not even close to being a big LoZ fan. It dosent effect me at all.
Guys, hey guys....

Matt really doesn't care about Zelda....

We also know he won't be playing X because he don't do RPG's....

That's two of the most hype Wii U games.... And Matt couldn't care less....

This mutha fucker is da fonz incarnate....

He's the champion of staying cool under pressure....

While we all weep at the notion of having to wait for the next Zelda game, this mutha fucker is winning....

seth_rollins_wwe_world_heavyweight_champion_2014_by_wwematchcard-d7ymzgl.png

Last edited:

Shoulder

Guys, hey guys....

Matt really doesn't care about Zelda....

We also know he won't be playing X because he don't do RPG's....

That's two of the most hype Wii U games.... And Matt could care less....

This mutha fucker is da fonz incarnate....

He's the champion of staying cool under pressure....

While we all weep at the notion of having to wait for the next Zelda game, this mutha fucker is winning....

View attachment 1996
couldn't care less :mfacepalm:

:mkiss:

Ex-Actarus

@LightsaberBlues @mattavelle1 I don't want to derail the thread but Wrestlemania 31 was amazing ! Disappointed Roman Reigns and Sting were robbed :(, but what a Show !

Personally, I don't care about the delay, I wouldn't have enough time to play it this year.

But yes, it sucks.

I think I'll wait a bit before buying NX, I don't intend to get it on first day, because I wonder if Nintendo will be able to release enough games there. I still love Nintendo and I agree that half of Nintendo team is working on games for NX right now, but Nintendo didn't have enough games for 3DS when it came out, Nintendo took a while to release the killer Marios and now Zelda is for the last months of WiiU. So what are they going to do with NX? Did they learn all the lessons?

I know that NX is just the first step and I believe Nintendo will sort everything out, but right now my Nintendo trust rating is quite average.
I understand @Odo... Nintendo is my favorite gaming company by a mile. No other company will EVER come close. That said they dropped the ball on console support on many occasions... N64, GC, Wii ( at a later stage ) and now the Wii U. How come they are still poor at getting support ( and supporting ) their home consoles after similar issues in the past ? That's beyond me ! No wonder you don't intend to buy the NX straight away @Odo.

Nintendo REALLY needs to get their act together and ensure sustain support on their home consoles. We're in April tomorrow and the amount on games on Wii U in 2015 has been SHOCKING !!! This is supposed to be the mid-gen of the Wii U, I've NEVER seen a Nintendo console with such a drought after 2.5 years on the market... NEVER !!! Until now, we had as major games Mario Party 10, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and... I mean they could have least released HD remasters of GC and Wii games. We have UNNECESSARY Remasters on PS4 and Xbone !!!

Personally I'll buy NX if Zelda U and / or Metroid Pime 4 are launch titles for sure.

Last edited:

Aki

I think that we can expect a bunch of cool shit from the next Zelda game. As @LightsaberBlues has stated already, Aonuma has repeatedly stated that he's taking cues from the OG Zelda game for this latest installment. In my eyes, that's very welcome.

My issue with the majority of his Zelda games aside from WW and TP is that he puts too much of an emphasis on puzzle solving. More so in the portable games like Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hour Glass, but he really went full retard with Skyward Sword, something, which annoyed me greatly. Game just had way too many puzzles for my likes and I felt like the exploration aspect of the game took a back seat.

In a way, it was also a collect fest. I did enjoy the inventory upgrade system, though. I felt like it sort of modernized the game and provided even more of a reason to explore the world.

I really liked the combat as well. If you had a good setup, it was flawless and really made you feel as if you were Link, as if you were part of the game imo.

Anyway, I'd like to see the game return to its roots and focus more on exploration, on what lies beyond the horizon. I beat the OG Zelda a few years back and the exploration aspect of it really stood out. Whenever you'd find a new heart piece or item, it was a very rewarding feeling. The sense of freedom provided by being able to tackle the dungeons in a non-linear order with virtually no hand-holding was amazing, especially considering that the game is over 25 years old. I'd definitely welcome that return as both the sense of freedom and exploration have been gradually getting lost as the series has continued.

Another thing that Saber mentioned that I hope makes a return are the religious overtones. That's something that's always appealed to me about the Zelda games. I'm not really sure why, maybe, it's because it gives the game a holy and epic feel and it should because the game is about gods, creation, betrayal, legends and so forth all stuff that you'd find in most religious texts.

Last edited:

Aki

@LightsaberBlues @mattavelle1 I don't want to derail the thread but Wrestlemania 31 was amazing ! Disappointed Roman Reigns and Sting were robbed :(, but what a Show !

I understand @Odo... Nintendo is my favorite gaming company by a mile. No other company will EVER come close. That said they dropped the ball on console support on many occasions... N64, GC, Wii ( at a later stage ) and now the Wii U. How come they are still poor at getting support ( and supporting ) their home consoles after similar issues in the past ? That's beyond me ! No wonder you don't intend to buy the NX straight away @Odo.

Nintendo REALLY needs to get their act together and ensure sustain support on their home consoles. We're in April tomorrow and the amount on games on Wii U in 2015 has been SHOCKING !!! This is supposed to be the mid-gen of the Wii U, I've NEVER seen a Nintendo console with such a drought after 2.5 years on the market... NEVER !!! Until now, we had as major games Mario Party 10, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and... I mean they could have least released HD remasters of GC and Wii games. We have UNNECESSARY Remasters on PS4 and Xbone !!!

Personally I'll buy NX if Zelda U and / or Metroid Pime 4 are launch titles for sure.
While I really hope that Nintendo will get their "shit" together for the launch of NX and I'm really optimistic that they will, I doubt it will happen. Sure, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they'll have a killer app on launch because most of the time they have, it will most likely be followed by a drought. That seems to be typical of Nintendo. First, NES, SNES, N64, and Wii all launched with a killer app. NES had the OG SMB, SNES had SMW, N64 had SM64, and Wii had TP, but after that, aside from the SNES, there wasn't much to play for a while.

I'm hoping for a GameCube approach to the launch. Now, GCN didn't really have a killer app at launch, but it did have new IPs in Luigi's Mansion and Super Monkey Ball as well as sequels to popular titles in Wave Race and Rogue Squadron. Plus, another new IP, Pikmin, came out shortly thereafter, as did the ultimate killer app at the time, Smash Bros and Mario made his return that summer with Sunshine. Overall, the launch window was very solid and by Christmas, which was like two months later, there was a lot of stuff to play and for everyone. If NX could pull that off, that would be amazing.