The Limestone House with free standing arches

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

This is our next project after the wall. This is what I have been working on for the past 4 months. Really cool job a lot of unique custom things like a huge castle turret, free standing arches, a dry stack lay fireplace. Different than the wall this is not only limestone but it's also mortor joint lay. Also were not "100%" done with this job we still have flagstone, an entrance to the property, and a huge indoor fireplace aswell. I'll add to this thread tho with those. The job isn't ready for those things yet and we have finished everything up to this point.

Any questions y'all have hit me up. And thank you so much @Mike D. For putting up with my pics for the past few months lol.

And without further ado ET will be adding the pics in the next few post.

Last edited by a moderator:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I WANT THIS! I WOULD MAKE THIS MY CASTLE! I WOULD STEAL PRINCESSES AND TURN INTO A BIG ANTHROPOMORPHIC, SPIKY TURTLEY DEMON-ESQUE CREATURE TO KEEP SAID PRINCESSES AWAY FROM THE PLUMBERS THAT MISTAKENLY ENTERED MY CASTLE TO DO THE PLUMBING. THIS IS AWESOME. I'M SORRY BUT THE CAPS ARE NECESSARY FOR HOW AWESOME ALL OF THAT IS. MATT IS TRULY AN ARTIST OF STONEWORK!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@mattavelle1 , you're one of the coolest people I have the pleasure of being associated with. I absolutely love young entrepreurs. Birds of a feather, dawg. That job looks awesome. I saw that big block of stone - did you chop that up to build walls?
The big pile of what looks to be just rubble is the rocks that we cut to put into the walls IE the tower and whatnot.

Now that big cube of stone is what what we made all the arch stone out of. And I wanted to give y'all some perspective so what size they are. That's why I took pics of myself all around them. They are 21" long, 12" tall, and 6 1/2" wide. It takes two men to lift and set them because they weigh alittle over 200 pounds a piece.

So to answer your question yes I have to cut those big cubes down with my hammer to make arch stone out of. You have to get them in slabs so that if you make a mistake you hopefully still have plenty of inches to work with.

Also something on this job I have never done before but I think looks amazing. Is that small arch on the fireplace has zero mortor in the joints. It is 100% stone on stone arch. I think that it's bad to the bone and looks amazing.

@Superfakerbros that one pic with the 3 guys that is my crew excluding myself. Those are the only ones who worked on that house was us 4.

I again appreciate all the kind words. I will continue to do this from job to job.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Also something many probably do not know but it's is the utmost importance to my job.

You all do realize that 2 different people laid that fireplace right? Or that 3 guys laid that tower.

Why I bring that up is because hopefully to y'all it looks like one person laid it all themselves. This is EXTREMLY difficult to teach, and do is lay like the person beside you who had a totally different personality or even a totally different way to lay stone than your own. What matters the most tho is that it all looks like Costello Stonework at the end of the day.

As your thumbing thru the pics tho keep in mind that at least 3 people laid beside each other and it all came out looking like one person did it. This is especially critical when working in small areas such as that fireplace. If my side looks like my own, and my cousins side looks like his own, the fireplace will look split right down the middle to people with trained eyes to catch such things.

We work to throw them kinda people off and to get there compliments. Homeowners and contractors will always love it. It's another skilled people that it's cool to get there reaction from. And that fireplace and arches have gotten a lot of high praise from the other workers on the jobsite.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I have to ask this question Matty: Where do you get your stone from? Is it from a local quarry, or some place out of state?
This whole project and the wall project 100% local quarry. They have both limestone and sandstone.

Now over the course of a year I breaks down like this pretty close.

80%our local quarry
15% Crossville TN strip rubble quarry
5% Bedford Indiana white limestone quarry.

From year to year this can vary. The reason we get out stone from a quarry is because we can actually shape it with hammers.

So if a ton of stone at lowes cost 100 bucks I can get a ton from the quarry for 10. We do it for more unique shapes and sizes we do it for the homeowner cause it's cheaper the stone itself is.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I love these threads. Incredible work @mattavelle1 , I look forward to seeing what's next. And yeah, I can see why @nerdman wants you working on his castle. The mortar-less fireplace is sick, a very clean pure stone look - that's definitely a great way to go where possible (it looks like not only the arch but the bulk of the fireplace, is this correct?).

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I love these threads. Incredible work @mattavelle1 , I look forward to seeing what's next. And yeah, I can see why @nerdman wants you working on his castle. The mortar-less fireplace is sick, a very clean pure stone look - that's definitely a great way to go where possible (it looks like not only the arch but the bulk of the fireplace, is this correct?).
There in lies the trick. Yes the arch is mortor less, but the fireplace is probably as strong as the walls outside with motor showing. But how is this?

We cut the backs of the stone in V's. Were the front 2 cornors of the stone meet (the front) behind it the cut creates a void and we fill that void full of mortor but you will never see it the way we cut and hide it.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
The problem with building me a castle is that I would never want to leave. You'd essentially be building me a giant stone casket.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
There in lies the trick. Yes the arch is mortor less, but the fireplace is probably as strong as the walls outside with motor showing. But how is this?

We cut the backs of the stone in V's. Were the front 2 cornors of the stone meet (the front) behind it the cut creates a void and we fill that void full of mortor but you will never see it the way we cut and hide it.
Sounds like the trickery devs do in videogames.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So in terms of the outside stone arch, is it only held together via the mortar, and itself, or is there another factor at play, such as rebar or something? Perhaps some structural lintels?

It does look like (based on the title of the thread) the arch on the fireplace is only being held up by all the other pieces of stone, is that correct?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So in terms of the outside stone arch, is it only held together via the mortar, and itself, or is there another factor at play, such as rebar or something? Perhaps some structural lintels?

It does look like (based on the title of the thread) the arch on the fireplace is only being held up by all the other pieces of stone, is that correct?
The big arches only are held up by themselves aswell outside of the mortor inbetween. The arch on the fireplace you are correct it's only rock too rock holding itself up.

There is nothing like steel or anything forgin like that playing a factor. Mortor would be the only other material in the big arches.

Shoulder

The big arches only are held up by themselves aswell outside of the mortor inbetween. The arch on the fireplace you are correct it's only rock too rock holding itself up.

There is nothing like steel or anything forgin like that playing a factor. Mortor would be the only other material in the big arches.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This is the fireplace on the inside I was telling y'all about.

It took us almost a month but we just finished today!

As usual all questions and comments are welcomed. Thank you so much @EvilTw1n your the man!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
If I ever make a 3D videogame, I'll take some of these pictures and use them as textures for just about every wall, arch, walkway, and fireplace in the game.

Shoulder

You know how I was impressed before? Well, the impressiveness is so great, it could explode because so much awesomeness cannot be contained.