The Lowest Common Denominator: Sex, Drugs, and Violence, These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Lowest Common Denominator....
I've heard terms like this used to describe people like myself who enjoy game experiences laced with extreme ultra violence.... Not just that but swearing, I fucking love swearing in my games.... And sex, yes SEX must be a factor for me to enjoy a game damnit! Seriously though I can understand these kinds of things in games maybe turning people off, maybe it's not your cup of tea, and I get that, but why then should I be looked at like somehow I'm wrong for liking all this.... I guess I should give some examples of some of the violent games I enjoy....

So I'll start off with a game everyone seems to enjoy and one that everybody just seems to except as ok in terms of its violent content even though it almost about as violent a game that has ever existed.... I love MK for the same reason most of us "dummies" do, because it's fucking violent as hell.... You can't mention Video Games without the word FATALITY....

Probably one of the most violent series ever conceived in a video game format, GTA is by far my favorite game on this list today.... Rockstar understands my need for Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll in my games and continually delivers it in every new game they make.... GTAV will be violent and glorious....

Another violent epic.... I love this game.... And it is extremely violent and awsome....

While I don't really care for the second Manhunt game, the first is a murder simulator of the finest order.... I honestly believe the first Manhunt to be a bloody masterpiece on par with the greatest games ever made....

Every Suda 51 and Grasshopper game features all the things I love about these kinds of games.... Suda san understands gamers like myself and want we want because ultimately I think his games contain want he wants in a game as well.... KILLER IS DEAD is going to kill....

I was so disappointed when Tecmo decided to go all less violent on Ninja Gaiden 3.... The dismemberment in NG2 is the best part of the game imo.... I love games that allow you to do this in any fashion or form.... Love it....

Ok so wtf can I say about MADWORLD that hasn't already been said.... This blood soaked gem, which genius was completely lost on most Wii owners, is one of my favorite games of all time.... I want a MADWORLD 2 or HD remake of the original, period.... And I have a feeling you haven't heard the last of MADWORLD so.... You can quote me on that too....

A lot of people might not understand this but Boarderlands is a very violent series, and I love it for that.... Thank you Gearbox....

Another extremely violent masterpiece is Left 4 Dead.... Since it's zombies being carved up and blown away and not actual people I see less hate for the violence here than in most of the other games mentioned except maybe Boarderlands and our next game....

Black Ops 2 is another extremely violent game that gets a pass I think particularly because of its immense popularity..... I still enjoy this, but wish it was actually more violent in multiplayer....

I recently started playing Kens Rage 2 a few months back but have been a huge FotNS fan since the age of 8.... I love the violence in this manga series.... I would like to see great graphics and physics applied to a sequel to this game.... That would be awsome....

DEAD RISING kicks so much ass! Dirtbike + Chainsaws = best zombie game ever....

Yes I love this part in God of War 3.... Classic....

I honestly could go on and on and probably will later in this thread about more of my favorite violent games and films.... But WTF is your take on ultra violence in video games....? Sex....? Drugs....? Anything that is considered taboo in video games by most gamers....?
Do you think me a caveman or dumbass with no taste because I love this kind of stuff....? Would you stick your nose up at me based on what you have read here....? Should people like myself ever have to defend our love of extreme violence in our entertainment....?
I honestly could give a shit wtf people think about me and my likes or dislikes, but I think it's a valid question none the less....

Last edited:

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Keeping in mind that I am in no way qualified to say this, I`m starting to fear for your mental stability :pI've never really had a problem with excessive violence in entertainment, but I've never really liked it. It is sort of weird, because if I saw a video of an actual human being having his head forcibly removed (whether the event is real or simulated), I think it fair to say I would be more than a little put off. But, when it's just a combination of textured polygons, it doesn't bother me at all. That being said, I'd be just as happy if it weren't there in the first place, I suppose. Call me old fashioned, but I like my vidya game enemies to flatten out like a pancake and then disappear into thin air when I smite them down with my boots of justice!

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Keeping in mind that I am in no way qualified to say this, I`m starting to fear for your mental stability :p
I've never really had a problem with excessive violence in entertainment, but I've never really liked
it. It is sort of weird, because if I saw a video of an actual human being having his head forcibly removed (whether the event is real or simulated), I think it fair to say I would be more than a little put off. But, when it's just a combination of textured polygons, it doesn't bother me at all. That being said, I'd be just as happy if it weren't there in the first place, I suppose. Call me old fashioned, but I like my vidya game enemies to flatten out like a pancake and then disappear into thin air when I smite them down with my boots of justice!

Just for the record I do not, I repeat do NOT condone actual violence in any way, shape or form.... I'm a father and husband as well so.... Very normal in fact in regards to such things.... I just happen to like things like this....

And this....

And even find this funny....

But always just fake ultra bloody unrealistic violence.... Not a fan of the real thing I'm afraid.... And that is kind of the point of this thread in general.... I'm really not insane, stupid or a brute, I just like WTF I like....
But thanks for caring about my sanity though.... It says thank you....

GaemzDood

Epic thread bro. Check out some of these great games. I love me some gore in games.Shadow of Rome

Call of Duty: World at War - more violent than Black Ops II.
However, the Wii version only has blood due to [strike]the RAM not being able to handle the exceptionally detailed gore[/strike] Dead Space: Extraction proves that wrong. Still, the Wii version is an amazing Wii game due to it's status as a well reviewed M rated Wii game.

The Brothers in Arms
series is the most violent tactical shooter series ever.

Gears of War
is the shit.

While Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
isn't that bloody or gory, the brilliant mission known as One Shot, One Kill earns it's spot on here. Also, Zakhaek's arm does bloodily fly off in the Wii version too. It makes me wonder why World at War & Black Ops (only says 'Blood and Gore' on the description due to some scripted sequences containing gore) on Wii didn't have dismemberment even though Dead Space: Extraction used a similar gore system where the innards of enemies were detailed rather than just having blood inside of ripped off body parts (MadWorld & House of the Dead: Overkill used the underlined gore system).

Oh right, I started rambling off track. Here's the scene.

However, I don't like seeing real human souls being tortured & killed in films. Though I like gory films (that aren't shit of course), I don't like when it involves torture or they're young souls. So when I see a brilliant classic like Salo (highly recommended), I figure that it's a movie that I'll watch once. It's downright sickening in real life. I love gory games, but I would never kill a Bee in real life; Bees = bros. To sum up how I feel about violence in real life, I'll direct you to this.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Shadow of Rome! So damn good.... Thank you for reminding me of how badass that game is....
Another extremely violent game just on the horizon I'm excited for is....

This one is going to be a wild ride....

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I'm okay with gore. I think it's better to have stylized gore like NMH for example than realistic gory effects.
I always thought the Red Steel 2 should have had gore.

GaemzDood

I'm okay with gore. I think it's better to have stylized gore like NMH for example than realistic gory effects.
I always thought the Red Steel 2 should have had gore.

I know. There's so much potential for gore given the stylized art style, sword fighting, and how other western games like GUN, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, and Red Dead Redemption are gory. Ubisoft made a kick ass game, but it's one of the few games where gore would benefit the gameplay.
I am a big fan of ultra violence as well.... but I hate conflict in general in reality
My thoughts exactly.
[hr]I have found out why Black Ops on Wii said 'Blood and Gore', it's because of the awesome zombie mode; there is dismemberment in that mode. It makes me wonder why World at War on Wii didn't have the zombie game mode, or why Black Ops and World at War on Wii didn't have dismemberment in the campaign.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
There's a lot of gore fans of b horror movies as well.

Given that's it's video games and it's therefore interactive (or at least they used to be ;P), do you find it is an attraction to the violent application of kinetic action (the moving, the doing), or are you more into the display, the gore itself as a scene or a style?

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
There's a lot of gore fans of b horror movies as well.

Given that's it's video games and it's therefore interactive (or at least they used to be ;P), do you find it is an attraction to the violent application of kinetic action (the moving, the doing), or are you more into the display, the gore itself as a scene or a style?
I'm not not sure why I gravitate towards these ultra violent games.... Real extreme violence on actual people repulses me.... But for some reason.... A reason I can't explain.... I find I get a RUSH from playing ultra violent games.... I find violent cultures to be interesting.... I have this obsession with violence in general.... Have had it since I was old enough to play games....
There is also that little thing that I am of the opinion that all games are violent or confrontational in some way shape or form.... Most all video games contain violent acts, both significant and insignificant.... imo anyway....
Part of the reason I like video games is the act of being able to do something I can't do in real life.... Perhaps this intrest and boarderline obsession with ultra violence has something to do with all that.... Maybe it doesn't....
Maybe I just enjoy this simply because I do, and because I know it is fantasy.... The same reason most all people play games I would imagine.... To escape into a place outside of ourselves....
It just so happens I enjoy escaping to places where I can commit extreme acts of virtual violence.... I also think it has something to do with pent up aggression, perhaps stress as well.... I honestly do not fucking know.... I can only speculate....
Most of my own comics and drawings and stories and design documents revolve around the core concept of violence....

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I know this is an old thread but I kind of want to throw my two cents in.

There are some times when I enjoy an ultra-violent game. I'm less for that now but it is fairly natural, looking at human history, to have these kinda of urges. I have to talk to parents of boys who are worried that they drew a gun, or blood, or something just bonkers like machete hands on a cat eating a shark. These urges regarding violence are part of our genetic makeup. That is also part of what keeps us alive. Naturally, before supermarkets, you would go out and hunt for your food and make a bloody mess prepping it. Nowadays kids barely even realize that hamburgers come from cows in a way that they have to be slaughtered until they are in 5th grade (seriously..its sad.) I've heard stories of my Mom going out and wringing the necks of a chicken for dinner when she was growing up.

That sort of enjoyment of seeing a bloody mess usually equals food or a win in a fight which is satisfying on a primal level. If its not your blood, normally that is a good sign.

Anyway, its kind of an odd subject but enjoying a violent game doesn't make you necessarily a bad person. Now reenacting those things in real life and trying to make people's heads pop like a Bloody Mary in a blender when you lift the lid too early...well yeah..that's bad.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I...LOVE ultra violence in video games. I also love the drugs and sex in them as well. Why you may ask? It's a fucking video game, so I am free to do as I please. I also understand the difference between fantasy and reality, unlike some people.

I get absolutely horrified when I see violence in real life because it involves other beings (human and non-human). In the fantasy world of video games? I fucking love it.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I am not a fan of sexuality in games at all, to be honest. Something in that uncanny valley that makes it very uneasy for me. Also, I tend to game with the wife in the room or near by. Seems awkward at times.

I don't mind artistic nudity or things like that though. Just not a fan of overt sexuality.