The new Microsoft console: Project One Scorpio

Odo

2 brand new consoles for 2017

Nintendo's Project NX and now Microsoft's Project One Scorpio

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...rpio-revealed?abthid=575ef4a9812a65b258000025

The new hardware sports a better GPU that can handle 4K resolution gaming and rendering at 60 Hz. Microsoft also confirmed the console would have six teraflops of computing capability.

Microsoft's Scorpio demo reel also confirmed that Fallout 4 VR and other "premier VR" experience would come to Project Scorpio.

On stage Phil Spencer also confirmed that all Xbox One peripherals would be supported by Project One Scopio and that all Xbox One games will be playable on the original Xbox One, the Xbox One S, and Project Scorpio.

Odo

PS4 Neo might drop in 2017 as well, would be surprised to see it come out this year.

This kills the industry.
What's going on with this industry?

NX isn't meant to be a Wii U successor. (of course)
PS4 Neo is a successor but not a successor.
Xbox One S is a new Xbox One.
Scorpio is a new Xbox newer than Xbox One S.

Odo

Scorpio has been released today and we've already have more information about it than we have about NX.

It depends on how developers go about it. If they make a game with Scorpio's specs, then try to port it over to the original Xbox One, then we may have Hyrule Warriors Legends scenario's all over the place.

Sure they're saying it's all about choice, but can they control what the developers want to do? If the upgraded hardware is for VR and just upping the resolution to 4k, then sure, whatever, I don't care.

Still, I'm not a fan of two consoles per gen.

Odo

They said it's a true 4K console and with backwards compatibility. NX now has strong competition.

How much this insane console will cost?

They said it's a true 4K console and with backwards compatibility. NX now has strong competition.

How much this insane console will cost?
Because as we saw 4K gaming and really high-end VR taking off in the PC space, we wanted to be able to bring that to console. Project Scorpio is actually an Xbox One that can natively run games in 4K and is built with the hardware capabilities to support the high-end VR that you see happening in the PC space today... when it ships it will be the most powerful console ever built.

Spencer cites Halo 5 as an example. While the game is capable of running at 1080p and 60 frames per second on the Xbox One, often the resolution drops in order to maintain a solid framerate. On Scorpio that won't be the case. "When a game like that runs on Scorpio," says Spencer, "it's going to run at maximum resolution the whole time."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11890842/microsoft-xbox-project-scorpio-virtual-reality-e3-2016

As for price he never said. If that's all it is, 4k output for games that would otherwise be 1080p, and VR support, then I'm fine. I'll stick with the original ps4 since they basically said the same thing.

FriedShoes

MLG
Neo rumors have stated that devs are forced to implement code for Neo upgrades, so it sounds like at least in that atmosphere the PS4 will be the lead system initially.
Or maybe it was the other way around, I forget. I remember reading that devs were not pleased by that notion.
Scorpio sounds like they have more freedom, maybe to the point where devs really dont need to develop for Xbone original systems. Idk, Scorpio is the fucking next gen, its ridiculous.
NX has no chance at matching anything powerwise, they will be 1 if not 2 gens behind in that respect. I believe this just further cements the idea of it being a pure Nintendo box, out of the third party picture for the time being.

Odo

Neo rumors have stated that devs are forced to implement code for Neo upgrades, so it sounds like at least in that atmosphere the PS4 will be the lead system initially.
Or maybe it was the other way around, I forget. I remember reading that devs were not pleased by that notion.
Scorpio sounds like they have more freedom, maybe to the point where devs really dont need to develop for Xbone original systems. Idk, Scorpio is the fucking next gen, its ridiculous.
NX has no chance at matching anything powerwise, they will be 1 if not 2 gens behind in that respect. I believe this just further cements the idea of it being a pure Nintendo box, out of the third party picture for the time being.
Yes, Scorpio is next generation while PS4Neo is a fix.

I agree with you. If this thing takes off and Sony announces next generation for 2018, there's no reason to bring AAA titles to NX at all. For me it's quite a confirmation that NX is Wii U 2, unless it's some sort of hybrid and it gets hits like Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter.

Odo

"It's crazy to announce something this early," he admits. "But when I put myself in the shoes of our customer, I want to be able to make a choice on what console I want to buy with as much information as possible. We want to give you the information to make that decision. We also want to go talk to the developers that are out there today, that are building games for next holiday, and say here's what you're going to have at your disposal on the console side."

Spencer always tries to sound cute. :D

Yes, Scorpio is next generation while PS4Neo is a fix.

I agree with you. If this thing takes off and Sony announces next generation for 2018, there's no reason to bring AAA titles to NX at all. For me it's quite a confirmation that NX is Wii U 2, unless it's some sort of hybrid and it gets hits like Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter.
you read me wrong, I think NX will be a success as a Nintendo box, but the idea of it competing with PS and Xbox is now over for the time being.

Im afraid to think that if NX does not do HDR/4k Streaming/upto 4k gaming, you know has some specs that dont make it look like something that yet again will be left behind, it will infact be another wiiu.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
you read me wrong, I think NX will be a success as a Nintendo box, but the idea of it competing with PS and Xbox is now over for the time being.
Totally agree with this. I think Nintendo is aiming to be the "perfect 2nd console". And let the 2 at the top fight it out for 50/50 and being #1. If Nintendo plays there cards right and for the right price they could slide into every home that has a Scorpio / Neo while those guys split the hardcore adopters between them.

Odo

Sorry, so I disagree then :D

Whatever console Nintendo releases without something like Pokemon, will hardly sell more than Wii U, after all this, in my opinion.

Wii U is already the Nintendo home console box and it didn't sell.

Nintendo can be successful: a 3DS successor (containing Pokemon, Animal Crossing, all those hand-held hits) or another console that contains those (maybe the hybrid) might work very well. But only 3D Marios, Karts and Pikmins won't be enough.

Otherwise, it's just Wii U 2.

Sorry, so I disagree then :D

Whatever console Nintendo releases without something like Pokemon, will hardly sell more than Wii U, after all this, in my opinion.

Wii U is already the Nintendo home console box and it didn't sell.

Nintendo can be successful: a 3DS successor (containing Pokemon, Animal Crossing, all those hand-held hits) or another console that contains those (maybe the hybrid) might work very well. But only 3D Marios, Karts and Pikmins won't be enough.

Otherwise, it's just Wii U 2.
By Nintendo box I do mean portable plus home console games, meaning Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem, the works. Barring some unforseen innovation that can somehow combat the power gap they will face, this is the one of the only ways they can succeed in the future and output great content. Who knows though, its a couple months away.

Odo

I don't know anything about specs, so I don't know how much Scorpio specs cost. I'm afraid Microsoft intends to sell Scorpio at some loss so they can beat the "most powerful console" war.

Although this console sounds great, Microsoft seems to be quite desperate for users with this announcement.

Microsoft can eat the costs for sure.
Totally agree with this. I think Nintendo is aiming to be the "perfect 2nd console". And let the 2 at the top fight it out for 50/50 and being #1. If Nintendo plays there cards right and for the right price they could slide into every home that has a Scorpio / Neo while those guys split the hardcore adopters between them.
thats the near dream scenario. Being second in the warring console households could potentially make it first in sales.
And if it becomes successful enough, we can then maybe continue the third party conversation again, since the base incentive is now there. Doubtful and unnecessary should this tactic succeed, however.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Personally, I don't think the Scorpio or Neo really changes anything about the NX. So as long as the NX is within the ballpark of the XB1/PS4, which it probably is, like ~XB1-levels, isn't a pain in the ass to bring games over to (No PowerPC), and the games are profitable (This is the main worry), third-party developers will bring their games. I'm not expecting them to as supporting Nintendo's home consoles are kind of a gamble but I do expect better support than the Wii-U by far...from Japanese developers, indie developers and MAYBE a handful of Western developers, and that's a HUGE maybe

The Scorpio and Neo are more or less premium versions of the PS4/XB1 and thus games will still be made with the PS4/XB1 in mind. That and, well, generations as we know it are getting thrown out the window. I think they're going the smartphone route where, over time, older models will stop being supported and some more recent model will become the new base model. So as long as Nintendo also follows the same route or has something to compensate (such as those attachable computing...things), they'll be alright, from a hardware perspective

But, yeah, holy shit, the Scorpio is a monster! :eek:
No way the thing is cheap unless they're selling the thing for major losses again, like the 360/PS3

Odo

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Microsoft can eat the costs for sure.

thats the near dream scenario. Being second in the warring console households could potentially make it first in sales.
And if it becomes successful enough, we can then maybe continue the third party conversation again, since the base incentive is now there. Doubtful and unnecessary should this tactic succeed, however.
I think it is the roadmap and I think there price point is gonna be cheap which will make dreams come true for the "perfect 2nd console with experiences you get no where else".

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I think it is the roadmap and I think there price point is gonna be cheap which will make dreams come true for the "perfect 2nd console with experiences you get no where else".
Thing is, most gamers don't buy a secondary console and, tbh, I don't even think anyone designs a system like that. Like, I don't think Nintendo made the Wii-U or even the Wii with the intention of it being a secondary console, that's what it ended up becoming as they got poor third-party support for one reason or another, and I don't think that'll be the case with the NX either. It'll likely end up being a secondary console but I doubt that's what Nintendo's aiming for as that's never been a successful endeavor and guarantees a poor selling platform

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So...4K upscaled? 4K native trickery? I don't see how else they're making it compatible with all XB console versions.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Is no one going to challenge the idea of a 4k 60hz console? That's like using dual GTX 980 Ti, that is, $1000+ on GPUs alone.

And these claims of Nintendo pursuing VR are also a little crazy. Realize that VR headsets run at around 90fps, so doing 1080p VR means running 2 separate 1080p screens at 1.5 times the number of frames, i.e. 3 times the computing power required for a good old 1080p60 game, which already isn't even common on PS4 and XBOne.

Scorpio might be the only system that can handle VR, but the idea of 4k native resolution games running at 60fps is ludicrous.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Thing is, most gamers don't buy a secondary console and, tbh, I don't even think anyone designs a system like that. Like, I don't think Nintendo made the Wii-U or even the Wii with the intention of it being a secondary console, that's what it ended up becoming as they got poor third-party support for one reason or another, and I don't think that'll be the case with the NX either. It'll likely end up being a secondary console but I doubt that's what Nintendo's aiming for as that's never been a successful endeavor and guarantees a poor selling platform
I won't argue this point because I do think your right in nobody designes a console to be 2nd. Personally I do believe that the market could use a ligit 2nd console, people have been talkin about buy this or that for your 2nd console for years. And Nintendo with its unique games that you can't get anywhere else could be posed to occupy this space.

Also I don't know if anyone has ever tackled being the "true 2nd console". Price point and experience not available anywhere else could be the recipe for Nintendo.

In the end I don't know tho, it just seems to be a very Nintendo move. With Xbox firmly cemented on there path now, we wait for Neo then we will hear about NX. This is the reason Nintendo waited tho, they wanted to make sure the other guys got outta the way. All this is IMO again I don't know nothing it just makes sense to me.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Is no one going to challenge the idea of a 4k 60hz console? That's like using dual GTX 980 Ti, that is, $1000+ on GPUs alone.

And these claims of Nintendo pursuing VR are also a little crazy. Realize that VR headsets run at around 90fps, so doing 1080p VR means running 2 separate 1080p screens at 1.5 times the number of frames, i.e. 3 times the computing power required for a good old 1080p60 game, which already isn't even common on PS4 and XBOne.

Scorpio might be the only system that can handle VR, but the idea of 4k native resolution games running at 60fps is ludicrous.
You can argue that I don't have a clue about all this jibberish. If you say it's gotta be high I believe you.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I won't argue this point because I do think your right in nobody designes a console to be 2nd. Personally I do believe that the market could use a ligit 2nd console, people have been talkin about buy this or that for your 2nd console for years. And Nintendo with its unique games that you can't get anywhere else could be posed to occupy this space.

Also I don't know if anyone has ever tackled being the "true 2nd console". Price point and experience not available anywhere else could be the recipe for Nintendo.

In the end I don't know tho, it just seems to be a very Nintendo move. With Xbox firmly cemented on there path now, we wait for Neo then we will hear about NX. This is the reason Nintendo waited tho, they wanted to make sure the other guys got outta the way. All this is IMO again I don't know nothing it just makes sense to me.
The problem with that is that gaming systems cost hundreds of dollars and, if people have a choice between a ton of great games and only a handful, they're gonna go with the one with a ton of them and ignore the one with a handful, even if they're really different from what everyone else makes. It'd help if everyone liked the kind of stuff Nintendo puts out but that's not the case, at least not anymore

It actually would be a very Nintendo move. Every generation, if something didn't quite work out, they'd go for something different. It's just that I don't see a secondary console ever being anything more than a system in distant third and with a limited library of games

Odo

It actually would be a very Nintendo move. Every generation, if something didn't quite work out, they'd go for something different. It's just that I don't see a secondary console ever being anything more than a system in distant third and with a limited library of games
With PS4, PS4N, X1, Scorpio and now PSVR. Would NX be distant 3rd, distant 4th or distant 5th? What do you think?

Odo

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/xbox-vr-scorpio-phil-spencer/

“When we started looking at Scorpio,” he says, “we asked the partners, ‘in order to build a true high-fidelity 4K game, what capabilities do you need?’ That’s what we designed Scorpio around. It’s kind of like a [GeForce GTX] 980 card on the PC. I get the capability that I need as a developer to deliver a high-fidelity 4K game.

“Consumer expectation is that, if you wanted to, you could go buy a new cell phone every year. I don’t want to get into that mode with a console,” Spencer says. “I see the next inflection point as 4K, and I want to make sure we have a console there to support that, and Scorpio will do that. We’re not on a hardware tick-tock that says I need to put out a console every two years or every one year to get people to upgrade. That’s not the console model.

So even though future Xbox games will be compatible with all the Xbox One systems, the VR games will likely be Scorpio-exclusive.

Ultimately, though, Spencer is hopeful that the old console paradigm, of always having to give up the old to move on with the new, is over. “Consoles created generations that effectively take your library back to zero; we’re trying to think beyond generations and say, how do you bring all the content that you purchased and love from this generation and move it forward with you?” he says.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
With PS4, PS4N, X1, Scorpio and now PSVR. Would NX be distant 3rd, distant 4th or distant 5th? What do you think?
If the NX is just another Nintendo box with confusing / bad marketing, yeah, definitely. I hope not though. I wish the best for Nintendo and I want to see them thrive. I'll reserve judgement till I see more of the NX

From Phil Spencer himself

Phil Spencer: Then you should buy this box, because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see. Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.

So he's telling you not to buy Scorpio unless you have a 4k tv.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

Phil Spencer: Then you should buy this box, because Scorpio is not going to do anything for you. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see. Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview
He's speaking the truth so I'm cool with that.

Odo

Although it's powerful enough t o deliver 4k, it's also powerful enough to make next generation games, isn't it? Better AI, textures, lightning, bigger worlds, etc.

I can't believe devs would only use scorpio for 4k. That's odd.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Although it's powerful enough t o deliver 4k, it's also powerful enough to make next generation games, isn't it? Better AI, textures, lightning, bigger worlds, etc.

I can't believe devs would only use scorpio for 4k. That's odd.
The only problem with this for me is this. Every gen or every new console all those bigger AI, bigger worlds are always promised, and they are delivered but rarely.

That's not my point here tho. My point is once let's say a game like witcher3 is delivered its almost like gamers themselves are waiting for the next leap for "bigger worlds, better AI, more realistic worlds". Not that we should want them things, but my goodness we are an unsatisfied lot for the most part.

I think that's where the industry itself fails tho. The do give us those experiences but it's so rare it's like chasing the carrot. Once we do get an experience like that we can't wait for the next piece of tech to being it to another level. Then we start the cycle over.

Just a thought an observation I'm not ranting or upset just realizing how somethings are.

Odo

http://gamingbolt.com/vikings-dev-t...pu-but-doubts-whether-it-will-impact-gameplay

“Also, it is important to note that the GPU is strong but CPU and memory are also essential for games development. So the standpoint cannot be taken only from GPU point of view but has to consider also other components. Strong GPU says that the console will be able to target 4K and VR; but it says not much about the gameplay itself. Currently 1080 GTX offers 9TFLOPs and until end of 2017 there will be at least another generation of graphics card released. So at the time it will hit the market it will be on par with average new gaming PC, or below.”
Only better looking promises so far. :(