The next Nintendo

Atomic77

Nintendo Switch Lite 4 Ever
Now that there is a Switch and Switch Lite and we are almost into the month of May in 2020 what do you think Nintendo will do next?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Really I don’t see a reason for them to veer from the path they have made with the Switch. I would say the “next Nintendo” will probably follow more in the vein of NES/SNES vs. GC/Wii

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
There's the "Pro" argument, that we might get a half-gen refresh, but with the Switch's success so far, I doubt that will happen.

Streaming is at least another gen away (if not more). Ditto VR, if it catches on.

Soooo...really, it looks like their present niche is positioned to keep working for another few years. 2022-ish, they make a Switch 2.0 that basically allows for portable PS4/XBone performance, with enough modern GPU features to get a few (but not nearly all) of what will be "current gen" PS5-level games. Nintendo makes their usual exclusives. Third parties port older games.

The only question is if Nintendo is too restless with the idea of essentially running it back.

Atomic77

Nintendo needs some thing that will make gamers go wow and blow the competition out of the water. I am not sure how much longer the Switch and Switch Lite will last with all the technology changing so fast.

Last edited:

Aki

I think they should stick with the switch concept as that’s all they have going for them. I personally believe if Nintendo were to go back to releasing traditional consoles + handhelds they’d be doa. Maybe not the handheld, but the home console would be. I’m also fairly certain this was their endgame when they decided to merge handheld development and home console development during the Wii U era.

Atomic77

The Switch concept should be good for awhile yet but I am talking about the future. Technology changes so fast.

Aki

The Switch concept should be good for awhile yet but I am talking about the future. Technology changes so fast.
They keep the same concept and just keep upgrading it with better hardware. No reason to go back to two dedicated consoles now. Especially after they already merged their divisions.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
As much as I love the Switch I still want to see a super dock/toaster version of the console. I'm primarily an at-home gamer and really like seeing my games in 4k or 2k opposed to sub-1080. The Switch is perfect as a hybrid system but I really think some of their more beautiful games such as Xenoblade and Zelda BOTW are being held back a bit.