The Nintendo Next Gen system is real and has a name... NX

Ex-Actarus

You all remember that back in late 2014, we've discussed rumors about a next gen Nintendo console possibly powered by upcoming new AMD processors. Today Nintendo confirmed the existence of that new system, it has a name (a codename ), NX. Here is what Iwata said :

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename 'NX,

It seems the new console will be part of a new membership service that will integrate the 3DS, Wii U, NX, mobiles devices and PC. For now we have no details about a release date. I guess we will more during E3 2015.

What a day ? Nintendo going mobile and a next system announced ? WOW ! I'm speechless, but VERY impressed and excited.

Your thoughts...

Source : http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/03/17/nx-is-nintendos-new-next-generation-hardware-system

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Nintendo has no idea what it's doing or where it is going.

Want to know why?

It doesn't have a leader with vision or leadership qualities.

Iwata gotta go.

Dude keeps jumping all over the map instead of having a solid course. That's why no one else in the industry wants to fuck with Nintendo. They're fucking losers.

Whatever their new project is, I hope Iwata has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: didn't that clown say he'd resign if they didn't hit their goals, which they didn't hit about two years ago?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Good morning, all, it's a lovely St. Patricks Da--
You all remember that back in late 2014, we've discussed rumors about a next gen Nintendo console possibly powered by upcoming new AMD processors. Today Nintendo confirmed the existence of that new system, it has a name (a codename ), NX. Here is what Iwata said :

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename 'NX,

It seems the new console will be part of a new membership service that will integrate the 3DS, Wii U, NX, mobiles devices and PC. For now we have no details about a release date. I guess we will more during E3 2015.

What a day ? Nintendo going mobile and a next system announced ? WOW ! I'm speechless, but VERY impressed and excited.

Your thoughts...

Source : http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/03/17/nx-is-nintendos-new-next-generation-hardware-system

EvilTw1n

If you don't have time to crib notes, some Iwata quotes via Always Nintendo:

http://alwaysnintendo.com/satoru-iwata-on-the-move-to-mobile/

Nintendo has decided to deploy its video game business on smart devices but it is not because we have lost passion or vision for the business of dedicated video game systems. On the contrary, now that we have decided how we will make use of smart devices, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than ever before. Nintendo has made this decision because we have concluded that the approach of making use of smart devices is a rational way for us to encourage even more people around the world to recognize the great value of the wonderful game software available on our dedicated game systems.

Smart devices have the widest reach and, thus, have the strongest potential for us to be able to connect with the largest number of consumers. We aim to construct a bridge between smart devices and dedicated video game hardware that connects consumers to our dedicated video game systems.

As for which Nintendo IP will be used, we do not intend to make any exceptions. Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software. On the other hand, as I just said, games on smart devices require ever-evolving services rather than just being a finished product. A combined effort will be necessary to operate them. People’s attention would only be dispersed if we simply increased the number of the titles we simultaneously released, and we could not expect to expand our business. Accordingly, we will narrow down the titles for development and operation to some extent.

Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP.

And, if I can talk a bit further about our game development plan, we will continue doing our best to develop dedicated game titles for our dedicated game hardware platforms just as we have been doing. For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices.

Just looking at the fact that several applications that earn great profits are highly visible in the smart device game business, people in general appear to see it as an easy money market. The fact is, however, it is a highly competitive market and only a handful of content providers have been able to show enduring results.

If Nintendo cannot make it to that handful of winners, it does not make sense for us to be engaged in the software business on smart devices.

Accordingly, we had been thinking that if we ever decided to do it, we would have to put ourselves in the best position to prosper. Many content providers who are succeeding on smart devices are depending on single hit titles. One of my goals here is, now that we are challenging ourselves with this endeavor by making use of Nintendo IP, to produce multiple hit titles at an early stage after we start releasing our software on smart devices.

Until now, when we said, “platform,” it meant a specific video game platform. Now that we are going to release games on smart devices and make use of globally widespread PCs and smart devices for our new membership service, we would like to offer more consumers with software that is suited to their tastes. In other words, we are challenging ourselves to redefine what “Nintendo platforms” mean. With this collaboration with DeNA, a partner with different strengths, we aim to achieve this goal as soon as possible.
============

Also of note, from the Verge:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/17/8230767/nintendo-smartphone-games-with-dena-make-sense

It is structurally the same as when Nintendo, which was founded 125 years ago when there were no TVs, started to aggressively take advantage of TV as a communication channel," Iwata said today, referencing the company’s earlier decades as a maker of toys and playing cards. "Now that smart devices have grown to become the window for so many people to personally connect with society, it would be a waste not to use these devices."

Last edited:

Odo

"Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are.

(...)

For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices."

That's what they've been doing with Pokemon for some years.

We've got Pokemon main game on Nintendo handhelds system, Pokemon TCGO on PC and mobile, Pokemon website with profile and other Pokemon gamers stuff and Pokemon games for children on Pokemon website. If you've got a Pokemon.com profile, everything is connect.

Now, it's the same thing but for all Nintendo IPs.

Odo

When Iwata talked about Wii U and that Pokemon thing that he said that what Wii U need is what GB had with Pokemon, market got duuhh!!!

Now that they're talking about new plans and new system, market got this:

That's what we want!!!!!!!

Forget Wii U. Nintendo need to move on now.

When I say forget Wii U I don't mean cancel it. I mean keep releasing WiiU games, but let's talk about the future, now!

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
"Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are.

(...)

For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices."

That's what they've been doing with Pokemon for some years.

We've got Pokemon main game on Nintendo handhelds system, Pokemon TCGO on PC and mobile, Pokemon website with profile and other Pokemon gamers stuff and Pokemon games for children on Pokemon website. If you've got a Pokemon.com profile, everything is connect.

Now, it's the same thing but for all Nintendo IPs.
That is an interesting way of looking at it.

Odo

This is what Nintendo said last year:

"... in the current environment surrounding smart devices, we feel that we will not be able to gain the support of many consumers unless we are able to provide something truly valuable that is unique to Nintendo. Accordingly, I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters. However, if you report that we will release Mario on smart devices, it would be a completely misleading statement. It is our intention to release some application on smart devices this year that is capable of attracting consumer attention and communicating the value of our entertainment offerings, so I would encourage you to see how our approach yields results."

Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2014
Jan. 30, 2014
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

They also said now:

"Of course, Nintendo will utilize smart devices as communication media for Nintendo IP. In addition, so that our consumers will be closely connected with them, we will deploy a game business which takes advantage of Nintendo IP."

(...)

"Please note, however, that I was not dismissing the idea of making games for smart devices per se as I stated at the January 2014 Corporate Management Policy Briefing that a development team of Nintendo would create a smart device application, and please also note that I had not ruled out the possibility of making games when we make use of these devices."

Nintendo Co., Ltd.
DeNA Co., Ltd.
Business and Capital Alliance Announcement
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/02.html

So, Nintendo didn't change its strategy. They're doing what they said they'd do and that's brilliant. Nintendo should approach mobile devices and that's the best way. They need to use smart devices as a way to communicate to their users through light experiences that make Nintendo IPs shine.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
With the system being NX (I know it's a code name), but maybe the X stands for Cross: A unified account system, where you can play games on your smart device (that are developed for them), or your handheld/console (still thinking they are going the "Fusion" route), but the one that is intriguing is that PC is listed.

Could it be that Nintendo would allow any of their console games to be allowed to be played on PC (through a specific downloadable Nintendo interface)?

Could your handheld play games on the go or also stream to your TV?

Honestly, it's all speculation at this point, but I'm severely intrigued.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Don't like the mobile part, but money is money.

The part the excites me is the new console (which I'm almost certain is handheld). I'm assuming it'll come out in late 2016/early 2017 based of the reveal date and the time the free form screens/AMD CPU comes available. This probably means the next home console will likely be coming out late 2017, which is a bit earlier than I wanted, but not to bad.

I also wonder how this new "membership" platform will work.

Ex-Actarus

@Odo , Iwata had been very adamant in the past that Nintendo games on mobile devices would be bad business for Nintendo ; because it would cannibalize their traditional business. So the announcement of this morning is quite a turnaround to say the least. Yes, Iwata said they were open to bring some applications on mobile devices, but nobody expected Nintendo to go after the mobile market in such capacity.

Personally, I'm VERY happy about this move. I've been an advocate of Nintendo going mobile for years !!! The argument that this would harm Nintendo core business is a complete nonsense. As I said before EVERY single 3rd party devs has been on mobile devices for years with success. Ubisoft has a complete division for mobile gaming, Gamelot. We never heard Ubisoft saying that Gameloft sales were impacting Assassin's Creed sales... NONSENSE !!!

As a matter as fact, Puzzle and Dragon 3DS was a millions seller on 3DS, despite being one of the biggest franchise in mobile gaming. So being successful on both front is possible and Nintendo made the right move !

@TechnoHobbit , why do you have a problem with this move ? I expect a late 2016 release for the NX. As for the PS4 and Xbox One, we will have the announcement and release in the same year. I think 2017, would be too late as the Wii U is already struggling . I don't see the Wii U maintaining the current sales level for another 2 years. The 3DS business is quite stable since the New 3DS, so I don't see any urgency for a successor.

Odo

@Odo , Iwata had been very adamant in the past that Nintendo games on mobile devices would be bad business for Nintendo ; because it would cannibalize their traditional business. So the announcement of this morning is quite a turnaround to say the least. Yes, Iwata said they were open to bring some applications on mobile devices, but nobody expected Nintendo to go after the mobile market in such capacity.
I don't see this as a change of strategy.

They said in 2014:

"Accordingly, I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters.
(...)
It is our intention to release some application on smart devices this year that is capable of attracting consumer attention and communicating the value of our entertainment offerings, so I would encourage you to see how our approach yields results."

Now he said:

"Of course, Nintendo will utilize smart devices as communication media for Nintendo IP. In addition, so that our consumers will be closely connected with them, we will deploy a game business which takes advantage of Nintendo IP."

He also said

"For the consumers who are connected with Nintendo through smart devices and interested in Nintendo’s IP, we would like to provide even more premium gameplay experiences on Nintendo’s dedicated game platforms. By taking this approach, we firmly believe that doing business on smart devices will not shrink our dedicated video game system business and will instead create new demand as this broader reach will enable us to provide consumers around the world with more opportunities to experience the appeal of Nintendo IP, and instead of trying to seize the other’s demand, dedicated video game systems and smart devices will benefit from the synergies created between them."

What Nintendo is trying to do is to deliver a lighter Nintendo IP experience through mobile in order to sell their premium product: the dedicated hardware experience.

For me, Nintendo is following the same plan they've revealed last year.

And yes, I'm happy too. I think this is a great way to do that marketing that we think Nintendo has a lack of.

Nintendo needs to make their characters and gamers catch on with the very children that are playing mobile games right now.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I'm liking what I'm hearing, even if I don't care much for mobile gaming. Here's to hoping it helps bolster their business

As for NX, it's most likely a handheld, with a 2016 or 2017 release date

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
@TechnoHobbit , why do you have a problem with this move ? I expect a late 2016 release for the NX. As for the PS4 and Xbox One, we will have the announcement and release in the same year. I think 2017, would be too late as the Wii U is already struggling . I don't see the Wii U maintaining the current sales level for another 2 years. The 3DS business is quite stable since the New 3DS, so I don't see any urgency for a successor.
I'm iffy on if mobile games helping Nintendo in the long run. A lot of the stuff I'm concerned about (for instance, them making F2P junk) might not happen, but even in a best case scenario (the games are good high quality mobile games that don't follow the norm for mobile titles) I do think Nintendo's handheld glory days are done for good (which some might argue was already the case). Now that Mario and the likes are on phones, there will be no reason for the average casual to go and buy a handheld. Of course, the mobile games might help boost the home console business, since it will help advertise their IP's and we know for a fact that at least for awhile it will being in Nintendo bucketloads of cash.

I don't think Nintendo wants to harm consumer confidence (any more than it has already) by releasing a new home console less than 5 years after the last. With a price cut(s) timed right I think Nintendo could prevent the Wii U's sales going into freefall until at least 2017. The New 3DS is doing great right now, but judging by how Nintendo seems to be pumping out at least one revision of the 3DS a year and a 2016/2017 release would both fit that and Nintendo's traditional lifespan for handhelds (and the free form screens/AMD CPU) I think it makes sense for the NX to be a handheld.
I don't see this as a change of strategy.

They said in 2014:

"Accordingly, I have not given any restrictions to the development team, even not ruling out the possibility of making games or using our game characters.
(...)
It is our intention to release some application on smart devices this year that is capable of attracting consumer attention and communicating the value of our entertainment offerings, so I would encourage you to see how our approach yields results."

Now he said:

He also said

"For the consumers who are connected with Nintendo through smart devices and interested in Nintendo’s IP, we would like to provide even more premium gameplay experiences on Nintendo’s dedicated game platforms. By taking this approach, we firmly believe that doing business on smart devices will not shrink our dedicated video game system business and will instead create new demand as this broader reach will enable us to provide consumers around the world with more opportunities to experience the appeal of Nintendo IP, and instead of trying to seize the other’s demand, dedicated video game systems and smart devices will benefit from the synergies created between them."

What Nintendo is trying to do is to deliver a lighter Nintendo IP experience through mobile in order to sell their premium product: the dedicated hardware experience.

For me, Nintendo is following the same plan they've revealed last year.

And yes, I'm happy too. I think this is a great way to do that marketing that we think Nintendo has a lack of.

Nintendo needs to make their characters and gamers catch on with the very children that are playing mobile games right now.
Lets not forget that back in 2011 Iwata said this when asked about making phone games: “This is absolutely not under consideration. If we did this, Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo. Having a hardware development team in-house is a major strength. It’s the duty of management to make use of those strengths.”

Of course a lot has changed since then.

EvilTw1n

Why the handheld guesses? Hybrid system aside (vomiting in my throat just uttering that), of course.
I would love that as a name by the way.
Even with the New 3DS, it's not like that line is getting any younger. By 2017, the 3DS will have been out for 6 years. If Nintendo doesn't have something new by then, something is wrong.
Now that Mario and the likes are on phones, there will be no reason for the average casual to go and buy a handheld.
That's my first reaction, too, but the counterpoint is that casuals aren't buying handhelds or consoles at the rate they used to. It ain't 2007 anymore.

Nintendo's strategy seems to be to bait people with mobile games, people they wouldn't have otherwise reached. If you get them hook, line, and sinker, they go buy Nintendo hardware. If they only nibble, maybe they sink some money into a freemium game, anyways, which is money Nintendo is currently leaving on the table. Either way, more revenue.

It's inarguable, IMO, that this doesn't erode Nintendo as we have known them. But business is business. Iwata has a point on that TV versus smartphone comparison, I think.

Ex-Actarus

@TechnoHobbit , I think that the 3DS proved that the casual moved on from dedicated gaming devices. So the idea here for Nintendo is to go after the casual gamers that moved on mobile devices. They won't come back ! Casual gamers are not ready to pay 200/250$ for a gaming device to play games they can get on their phones.

I think we should forget the typical 5 years console cycle. Last gen proved that the 5 years console cycle is no more ! The Wii U is a commercial failure, there is noting wrong to move on at some point. Nintendo is not going artificially maintain the Wii U for 2 or 3 years just to make the make the 5 year cycle... What's the point of keeping a console out there without games coming on it anyway ? Microsoft released the 360 4 years after the Xbox. So we have precedents.

As I said in other threads, I suspect most of Nintendo studios have moved on the next gen console. You need "at least" 2 years to develop a game. Probably 3 years for the bigger games as Zelda. So that means Nintendo studios are already hard at work on the next console. Miyamoto himself confirmed that the next Mario game will be on the next gen console. If a studio like Grezzo or Retro start developing a game today, it won't be released for the Wii U !!!

Besides do not forget that there will be some overlap between the Wii U and the NX. So the Wii U could still receive games in 2017 even if the NX is released late 2016.

Ex-Actarus

With the system being NX (I know it's a code name), but maybe the X stands for Cross: A unified account system, where you can play games on your smart device (that are developed for them), or your handheld/console (still thinking they are going the "Fusion" route), but the one that is intriguing is that PC is listed.

Could it be that Nintendo would allow any of their console games to be allowed to be played on PC (through a specific downloadable Nintendo interface)?

Could your handheld play games on the go or also stream to your TV?

Honestly, it's all speculation at this point, but I'm severely intrigued.
I agree. PC being listed in there is very intriguing. Nintendo allowing gamers to play console games on their PC is even more unexpected that Nintendo going mobile...

The only way this will happen is if Nintendo is going for a Cloud architecture. And that slide with all various platforms shown, is VERY reminiscent of a Cloud architecture ( Netflix like ). That would be a bold move. They would go even further than anything Sony and Microsoft are doing today.

Very intriguing !!!

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I'm just a little afraid Nintendo has sold out...

Although still trying to figure out how I feel about this. I wish Nintendo would have come out with something a little more concrete.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Let's see what kind of software they put on mobile first. If they release a full fledged Pokemon or Animal Crossing, which would make them stupid amounts of money, then yeah, they sold out.

I don't think NX is the 3DS's successor. While I think there will be an emphasis on cross-platform functions, I don't think it's a hybrid either. It looks like something unprecedented.

Ex-Actarus

Apparently there is a press event planned in Seattle. Could this means more details for America and the west for the DeNa partnership ? Maybe Nintendo has a different partner in the USA ?

Or is it possible they will announce a partnership with Crytek for the engine ? Ok, I know I'm pushing the buttons here, but Nintendo is going mobile, now anything is possible :) !

Source : http://www.gonintendo.com/s/249326-rumor-nintendo-hosting-press-event-in-seattle

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Nintendo taking this long to even announce a mobile strategy just shows how far behind the times they are. They suck at decision making, and that's due to poor leadership.

I challenge you guys to find a single other hardware/software company that's completely ignored mobile up until 2015. Iwata's a fucking idiot @Superfakerbros

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Let's see what kind of software they put on mobile first. If they release a full fledged Pokemon or Animal Crossing, which would make them stupid amounts of money, then yeah, they sold out.

I don't think NX is the 3DS's successor. While I think there will be an emphasis on cross-platform functions, I don't think it's a hybrid either. It looks like something unprecedented.
They're obviously not going to do that.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Personally, I'm VERY happy about this move. I've been an advocate of Nintendo going mobile for years !!! The argument that this would harm Nintendo core business is a complete nonsense. As I said before EVERY single 3rd party devs has been on mobile devices for years with success. Ubisoft has a complete division for mobile gaming, Gamelot. We never heard Ubisoft saying that Gameloft sales were impacting Assassin's Creed sales... NONSENSE !!!

As a matter as fact, Puzzle and Dragon 3DS was a millions seller on 3DS, despite being one of the biggest franchise in mobile gaming. So being successful on both front is possible and Nintendo made the right move !

They're not nintendo games. Ports were always a bad idea.

They're DeNa games with nintendo's IP on it.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Nintendo taking this long to even announce a mobile strategy just shows how far behind the times they are. They suck at decision making, and that's due to poor leadership.

I challenge you guys to find a single other hardware/software company that's completely ignored mobile up until 2015. Iwata's a fucking idiot @Superfakerbros
I won't deny he's made mistakes but if you think you can do a better job than Iwata...

Besides, from what I recall, they did announce mobile plans a few years back, albeit I can certainly understand why they waited. I mean, when with the success of the DS and the initial sales of the 3DS post-price cut, at that point in time, it made more sense to just focus more on their own platform. Last I checked, no one else really makes handhelds, aside from Sony and we all know well the Vita is doing so I'm not even going to go there

Shoulder

Right now, there's nothing to suggest the NX will launch in 2016. Unveiled? yes, but launched? Unlikely.

Nintendo does not unveil a console, and then release it the same year. Not saying it can't happen, but if people are so rushed into wanting the next-gen system, Nintendo certainly cannot rush it like what everyone said for the Wii U. 2017 is much more likely for a launch year.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
I won't deny he's made mistakes but if you think you can do a better job than Iwata...

Besides, from what I recall, they did announce mobile plans a few years back, albeit I can certainly understand why they waited. I mean, when with the success of the DS and the initial sales of the 3DS post-price cut, at that point in time, it made more sense to just focus more on their own platform. Last I checked, no one else really makes handhelds, aside from Sony and we all know well the Vita is doing so I'm not even going to go there
I didn't say I could do a better job, I said they can find a better CEO. I'm an arrogant piece of shit, but not that arrogant.

They announced mobile plans, specifically mentioning that they wouldn't be making mobile games. Now they've recognized, well after everyone else in the WORLD that it was a very stupid decision.

Good job Iwata. Keep watching Nintendo plummet by your pen.

DS does great. Good for him. But the CEO's job at Nintendo is to have everything running well, and wii u, which represents an enormous investment has failed miserably. For years. Nintendo's value has been free falling. For years. These are the facts. Vita has nothing to do with it.

Aki

This will most likely be the first console that I don't buy on launch. Quite simply, I don't have much faith in Nintendo anymore and will wait it out until the future for the console becomes much clearer. This could all change in the upcoming future seeing as 2016 is a long ways off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
As far as the NX goes, I'm intrigued to see what they deliver.
Will it be a successor to the 3DS and the WiiU? Will it be a "third pillar"? (We all know what that truly means) Or will it just be the successor to one of their current systems? Only time will tell.

But if when they announce it they also announce games that I would want to play on it, then I'm in. Do I love my 3DS and the games I have for it? Yep. Do I love my WiiU and the games I have for it? Yep.

Personally, Nintendo has never screwed me over with my gaming, so I have no reason to believe they would start now.

EvilTw1n

Now they've recognized, well after everyone else in the WORLD that it was a very stupid decision.
You do your armchair analytic skills no favors by trying to denounce a move that you actually approve of. Quit being daft. If it's the right thing to do, it's the right thing to do. IMO, it's debatable if this is the correct path...
Mobile gaming is something I don't do. So I personally don't really care.
Well, most people don't care, really. Most people treat mobile gaming as...well, not even an afterthought, but a transitory, barely-registered thought. To wit:

http://recode.net/2014/04/09/most-mobile-game-players-quit-after-one-day-exclusive/

The report tracked the behavior of more than 10 million players for 90 days, starting in November of last year. All the players were new to the games being played, covering more than 30 titles in Swrve’s network.

19 percent of those new players opened the games only once, and 66 percent had stopped playing after the first 24 hours. On average, players spent about 45 cents over the course of those 90 days. In line with Swrve’s head-turning monetization report from February, only 2.2 percent of players spent any money at all, and 46 percent of the revenue came from the top 10 percent of those spenders.

===================

2 percent.

I get what Iwata means with the television analogy, because smartphones are everywhere. When everyone was getting a TV screen in their house, it made sense to try to put games on those screens; the screen most people consume media on has moved to their pockets, so why not put games there? Here in the U.S., between half and two-thirds of the population has a smartphone, after all.

Well, 98% of those users won't be shelling out any cash at all. Something for the brilliant investors who have wanted this move should think about. Iwata has the right idea - hook users into buying the deeper experiences. Because living on the 2% of people who spend money on smartphone games is a mug's game.

Odo

You do your armchair analytic skills no favors by trying to denounce a move that you actually approve of. Quit being daft. If it's the right thing to do, it's the right thing to do. IMO, it's debatable if this is the correct path...

Well, most people don't care, really. Most people treat mobile gaming as...well, not even an afterthought, but a transitory, barely-registered thought. To wit:

http://recode.net/2014/04/09/most-mobile-game-players-quit-after-one-day-exclusive/

The report tracked the behavior of more than 10 million players for 90 days, starting in November of last year. All the players were new to the games being played, covering more than 30 titles in Swrve’s network.

19 percent of those new players opened the games only once, and 66 percent had stopped playing after the first 24 hours. On average, players spent about 45 cents over the course of those 90 days. In line with Swrve’s head-turning monetization report from February, only 2.2 percent of players spent any money at all, and 46 percent of the revenue came from the top 10 percent of those spenders.

===================

2 percent.

I get what Iwata means with the television analogy, because smartphones are everywhere. When everyone was getting a TV screen in their house, it made sense to try to put games on those screens; the screen most people consume media on has moved to their pockets, so why not put games there? Here in the U.S., between half and two-thirds of the population has a smartphone, after all.

Well, 98% of those users won't be shelling out any cash at all. Something for the brilliant investors who have wanted this move should think about. Iwata has the right idea - hook users into buying the deeper experiences. Because living on the 2% of people who spend money on smartphone games is a mug's game.
Exactly and they're aware of it.

Iwata said:

".. the value of content can easily be deflated in the digital world and, especially on smart devices, it is not easy to maintain content value since the lifespan tends to be very short as much content is released and then replaced so quickly.
(…)
Just looking at the fact that several applications that earn great profits are highly visible in the smart device game business, people in general appear to see it as an easy money market. The fact is, however, it is a highly competitive market and only a handful of content providers have been able to show enduring results. If Nintendo cannot make it to that handful of winners, it does not make sense for us to be engaged in the software business on smart devices.”

That's the truth behind many Nintendo fans, including most of TNE members, being against the plan about just adding or porting Nintendo games on smartphones. That wouldn't make Nintendo stronger, but weaker.

Nintendo approache seems to be much more reasonable when they, in fact, intend to use smartphone games as marketing or as a new pillar of Nintendo usual experience. There are many apps like eShop, Wii Fit that could be developed to create this link as well as the games themselves.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

===================

2 percent.

You missed my entire point. I was saying it was the right thing to do several years ago, but stupid leadership prevented that from happening, and cost them a boatload of money.

By stupid leadership, I mean Iwata. There's a reason we've been talking about them entering the mobile arena for so long, and that's because it's an obvious move. Their leadership sucks, you know it, and the fact that I'm not CEO doesn't discredit that opinion. In fact, the numbers support that opinion tremendously.

EDIT: and if voicing my opinion on nintendo's flagrant dumb assery makes me an "armchair analyst", then you are the same thing regardless of what stance you take.

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Exactly and they're aware of it.

Iwata said:

".. the value of content can easily be deflated in the digital world and, especially on smart devices, it is not easy to maintain content value since the lifespan tends to be very short as much content is released and then replaced so quickly.
(…)
Just looking at the fact that several applications that earn great profits are highly visible in the smart device game business, people in general appear to see it as an easy money market. The fact is, however, it is a highly competitive market and only a handful of content providers have been able to show enduring results. If Nintendo cannot make it to that handful of winners, it does not make sense for us to be engaged in the software business on smart devices.”

That's the truth behind many Nintendo fans, including most of TNE members, being against the plan about just adding or porting Nintendo games on smartphones. That wouldn't make Nintendo stronger, but weaker.

Nintendo approache seems to be much more reasonable when they, in fact, intend to use smartphone games as marketing or as a new pillar of Nintendo usual experience. There are many apps like eShop, Wii Fit that could be developed to create this link as well as the games themselves.
Please explain the value behind a company that loses net worth year after year for almost a decade now.

He's been consistently making the value of Nintendo drop for almost a decade now. Where is the value in Iwata?

When will you guys get off his dick?

Shoulder

You missed my entire point. I was saying it was the right thing to do several years ago, but stupid leadership prevented that from happening, and cost them a boatload of money.

By stupid leadership, I mean Iwata. There's a reason we've been talking about them entering the mobile arena for so long, and that's because it's an obvious move. Their leadership sucks, you know it, and the fact that I'm not CEO doesn't discredit that opinion. In fact, the numbers support that opinion tremendously.

EDIT: and if voicing my opinion on nintendo's flagrant dumb assery makes me an "armchair analyst", then you are the same thing regardless of what stance you take.
The only thing I'll say then at this point is: better late than never. Is it going to be too late? I don't know, and neither do you, or anyone else for that matter. Nintendo might have an upper hand of what's to come, but we'll find out for sure when everything comes full swing.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
The only thing I'll say then at this point is: better late than never. Is it going to be too late? I don't know, and neither do you, or anyone else for that matter. Nintendo might have an upper hand of what's to come, but we'll find out for sure when everything comes full swing.
Yes, better late than never. Also, better sooner than later. Everyone else was saying they should have jumped in years ago, but Nintendo didn't have the vision to jump in. If the buck stops at the top, you have to blame Iwata.

Odo

Please explain the value behind a company that loses net worth year after year for almost a decade now.

He's been consistently making the value of Nintendo drop for almost a decade now. Where is the value in Iwata?

When will you guys get off his dick?
Yeah, but I don't want to analyse Iwata because it's a really serious business and I don't want to take part on that right now LOL.

I think a thread about Iwata could be great, why don't you start it? I'd love to discuss this, there must be many here that hate Iwata and some that see some value.

About Nintendo being too late, I think this may be true, however I don't know if Nintendo was ready before. I've seen many companies struggling when trying to go mobile. That was a enormous breakthrough for many companies, including software ones. Those that didn't have their departments ready to deploy mobile solutions.

Nintendo is rubbish at OS development, online features, online marketplace, internet infrastructure and, just a few years ago, HD development. So I see Nintendo as a house of fantastic game makers, but ordinary general software/infrastructure engineers. Plus, Nintendo is an old Kyoto dinosaur. Those reasons would make any leader struggle to put a company like that in the mobile era.

I'm not saying that it's not Iwata's fault at all. For example, I don't know why Iwata is still the head of hardware division. Maybe the lack of voice chat, for instance, is totally Iwata's fault. But I can understand (that reminds me the "please understand" motto LOL) how difficult is to a company like Nintendo, including Iwata of course but not only him, to find the right assets and the right processes to deploy mobile solutions.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Yeah, but I don't want to analyse Iwata because it's a really serious business and I don't want to take part on that right now LOL.

I think a thread about Iwata could be great, why don't you start it? I'd love to discuss this, there must be many here that hate Iwata and some that see some value.

About Nintendo being too late, I think this may be true, however I don't know if Nintendo was ready before. I've seen many companies struggling when trying to go mobile. That was a enormous breakthrough for many companies, including software ones. Those that didn't have their departments ready to deploy mobile solutions.

Nintendo is rubbish at OS development, online features, online marketplace, internet infrastructure and, just a few years ago, HD development. So I see Nintendo as a house of fantastic game makers, but ordinary general software/infrastructure engineers. Plus, Nintendo is an old Kyoto dinosaur. Those reasons would make any leader struggle to put a company like that in the mobile era.

I'm not saying that it's not Iwata's fault at all. For example, I don't know why Iwata is still the head of hardware division. Maybe the lack of voice chat, for instance, is totally Iwata's fault. But I can understand (that reminds me the "please understand" motto LOL) how difficult is to a company like Nintendo, including Iwata of course but not only him, to find the right assets and the right processes to deploy mobile solutions.
An "enormous breakthrough" that most companies made about 10 years ago.