The Nintendo Next Gen system is real and has a name... NX

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Yeah, but I don't want to analyse Iwata because it's a really serious business and I don't want to take part on that right now LOL.

I think a thread about Iwata could be great, why don't you start it? I'd love to discuss this, there must be many here that hate Iwata and some that see some value.

About Nintendo being too late, I think this may be true, however I don't know if Nintendo was ready before. I've seen many companies struggling when trying to go mobile. That was a enormous breakthrough for many companies, including software ones. Those that didn't have their departments ready to deploy mobile solutions.

Nintendo is rubbish at OS development, online features, online marketplace, internet infrastructure and, just a few years ago, HD development. So I see Nintendo as a house of fantastic game makers, but ordinary general software/infrastructure engineers. Plus, Nintendo is an old Kyoto dinosaur. Those reasons would make any leader struggle to put a company like that in the mobile era.

I'm not saying that it's not Iwata's fault at all. For example, I don't know why Iwata is still the head of hardware division. Maybe the lack of voice chat, for instance, is totally Iwata's fault. But I can understand (that reminds me the "please understand" motto LOL) how difficult is to a company like Nintendo, including Iwata of course but not only him, to find the right assets and the right processes to deploy mobile solutions.
Nintendo are creative genii, not technical wizards.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
You missed my entire point. I was saying it was the right thing to do several years ago, but stupid leadership prevented that from happening, and cost them a boatload of money.

By stupid leadership, I mean Iwata. There's a reason we've been talking about them entering the mobile arena for so long, and that's because it's an obvious move. Their leadership sucks, you know it, and the fact that I'm not CEO doesn't discredit that opinion. In fact, the numbers support that opinion tremendously.

EDIT: and if voicing my opinion on nintendo's flagrant dumb assery makes me an "armchair analyst", then you are the same thing regardless of what stance you take.
Simmer down, tiger. I certainly understood your point (although the brilliance and lucrative-potential of this all remains to be seen). My point was you can't say "a new CEO should do this because it makes sense" and then bitch when the current CEO goes out and does it. You can't un-do the past or re-litigate it. Something is either a good idea now, or it's not, period. It won't erode the fibers of your soul to admit Iwata is doing something you agree with, amigo.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Simmer down, tiger. I certainly understood your point (although the brilliance and lucrative-potential of this all remains to be seen). My point was you can't say "a new CEO should do this because it makes sense" and then bitch when the current CEO goes out and does it. You can't un-do the past or re-litigate it. Something is either a good idea now, or it's not, period. It won't erode the fibers of your soul to admit Iwata is doing something you agree with, amigo.
What I disagree with is his decision to not to this years ago. It's solid proof that he has no vision, no game theory, and that he should be replaced with someone who holds those qualities, tiger.

Odo

An "enormous breakthrough" that most companies made about 10 years ago.
Yeah, but even on the software market there are companies like Microsoft and Blackberry.

Microsoft is classic software company with brilliant engineers that struggled to go mobile. Only now they're making good moves. How many years did Microsoft take to put Office on iPad? They should have done that since first iPad.

Blackberry was a mobile company that used to lead the smartphone and mobile apps market that couldn't keep up.

Nintendo is one of them in my opinion. They've been too focused on game making which is partially good.

I just don't know if its all Iwata's fault.

Nintendo are creative genii, not technical wizards.
Yeah, that's a big Nintendo weakness.

If you intend to sell devices and software you must employ technical wizards. If you don't, you need to outsource it.

If Nintendo don't want to do so, then they just want to be a game studio. If they want to be a game studio, so Nintendo must be a 3rd party game developer instead of a console maker.

I think DeNA can be the 2nd party that Nintendo needs to keep up with new (and old) tech trends like, you know, Voice Chat.

Ex-Actarus

Right now, there's nothing to suggest the NX will launch in 2016. Unveiled? yes, but launched? Unlikely.

Nintendo does not unveil a console, and then release it the same year. Not saying it can't happen, but if people are so rushed into wanting the next-gen system, Nintendo certainly cannot rush it like what everyone said for the Wii U. 2017 is much more likely for a launch year.
The NX will be released the same year as it is unveiled. The days where you could unveil a console 1 year and release it the year after ( or even 2 years later ) are gone !

Apple set the new standard, you unveil a product and release it, few weeks or months later. It's not an accident that BOTH, Sony and Microsoft unveiled and released their console the same year ! Nintendo will do the same thing imo. They will unveil the NX in H1 2016 and release it H2 2016.

Nowdays with social media, you can't maintain the hype for a product for more than a year. You need to release the product when it's still hot. Look what happen to the Steam Machines, who care about them now ?

Besides, if the product is really special, if you wait too long, you let the door opened for the competition to copy you.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I didn't say I could do a better job, I said they can find a better CEO. I'm an arrogant piece of shit, but not that arrogant.

They announced mobile plans, specifically mentioning that they wouldn't be making mobile games. Now they've recognized, well after everyone else in the WORLD that it was a very stupid decision.

Good job Iwata. Keep watching Nintendo plummet by your pen.

DS does great. Good for him. But the CEO's job at Nintendo is to have everything running well, and wii u, which represents an enormous investment has failed miserably. For years. Nintendo's value has been free falling. For years. These are the facts. Vita has nothing to do with it.
Meh,Sony just closed down Playstation Mobile. Rather than rushing into something, it was probably a better idea for Nintendo to see where they were going to take it. Thats why they've made games like Rusty's and Steel Diver.

Thats why they basically turned DeNA into their mobile division. Became their step daddies

In general waiting was a better idea. Especially when there are risks associated with making any moves on mobile.

This is a good article on that risk http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nintendo-mobile-analysis/ @Ex-Actarus

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Nintendo has no idea what it's doing or where it is going.

Want to know why?

It doesn't have a leader with vision or leadership qualities.

Iwata gotta go.

Dude keeps jumping all over the map instead of having a solid course. That's why no one else in the industry wants to fuck with Nintendo. They're fucking losers.

Whatever their new project is, I hope Iwata has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: didn't that clown say he'd resign if they didn't hit their goals, which they didn't hit about two years ago?
Lol no he didnt.

Ex-Actarus

Meh,Sony just closed down Playstation Mobile. Rather than rushing into something, it was probably a better idea for Nintendo to see where they were going to take it. Thats why they've made games like Rusty's and Steel Diver.

Thats why they basically turned DeNA into their mobile division. Became their step daddies

In general waiting was a better idea. Especially when there are risks associated with making any moves on mobile.

This is a good article on that risk http://www.wired.com/2015/03/nintendo-mobile-analysis/ @Ex-Actarus
You can't compare Playstation Mobile with what Nintendo is doing. Sony has never been very aggressive with Playsation Mobile. Did many high profile Sony studios were involved ? I don't think so...

Nintendo is taking another route here. First of all, they're NOT making ports !!! This is a HUGE difference from the competition. Secondly, they made a partnership with a company that has a lot experience in mobile gaming.

Yes, Sony went after the mobile market, but certainly not in the same capacity as Nintendo is right now.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

^ Exactly.

Which makes Buddah's point about Nintendo being late even more nonsensical. They're only late to the party that apple hi-jacked from them.

What they're say they're going to do is something no other console manufacturer has attempted before, its not even something valve is doing

@Shoulder @Odo. Nintendo's online infrastructure is fine, its their services that suck. They're great at making products that illicit certain emotions, but their internet services that connect everything together are restrictive as they are and that has problems.Its something they need to fix, thats why they merged with DeNA so they can handle that stuff

Ex-Actarus

^ Exactly.

Which makes Buddah's point about Nintendo being late even more nonsensical. They're only late to the party that apple hi-jacked from them.

What they're say they're going to do is something no other console manufacturer has attempted before, its not even something valve is doing

@Shoulder @Odo. Nintendo's online infrastructure is fine, its their services that suck. They're great at making products that illicit certain emotions, but their internet services that connect everything together are restrictive as they are and that has problems.Its something they need to fix, thats why they merged with DeNA so they can handle that stuff
I have to say I'm quite surprise by Nintendo's move. Indeed they seem to got further than anybody in industry. We have to wait for confirmation, but to be able to play Nintendo games on a PC seems insane !!! We're not there yet, but very exciting stuff.

I command Nintendo for that bold move. And I have to say I'm surprised Iwata did something that drastic. I've been on record saying that Iwata need to go. With that move, I could give him a 1 year extension until I see what NX is about.

But I agree also with @Majorbuddah , Nintendo made too many mistakes in the past 5 years. One amazing cannot just erase all those terrible decisions.

So let's wait until NX is revealed to see if Nintendo has REALLY changed for good and for the better.

Odo

I have to say I'm quite surprise by Nintendo's move. Indeed they seem to got further than anybody in industry. We have to wait for confirmation, but to be able to play Nintendo games on a PC seems insane !!! We're not there yet, but very exciting stuff.
I think you should see Nintendo PC games as for example Pokemon TCGO.

If I were you, I wouldn't be that excited. I don't think we're going to play a full Zelda title, for example, on a PC.

Odo

Is there any NeoGAF insider here that could be kind enough to summarise what's going on there about this matter?

I don't want to see myself, that must be too messy, but I'd like to check the reactions there.

Neogafers must be now suffering strokes.

Shoulder

The NX will be released the same year as it is unveiled. The days where you could unveil a console 1 year and release it the year after ( or even 2 years later ) are gone !

Apple set the new standard, you unveil a product and release it, few weeks or months later. It's not an accident that BOTH, Sony and Microsoft unveiled and released their console the same year ! Nintendo will do the same thing imo. They will unveil the NX in H1 2016 and release it H2 2016.

Nowdays with social media, you can't maintain the hype for a product for more than a year. You need to release the product when it's still hot. Look what happen to the Steam Machines, who care about them now ?

Besides, if the product is really special, if you wait too long, you let the door opened for the competition to copy you.
While I won't disagree that releasing a console the same year it was unveil is what should happen, Nintendo cannot rush things. Do I secretly want the Wii U to last its full five year cycle as past systems? Yes I do, because it is a truly unique little console with a lot of great games on it.

Is 2016 possible? Absolutely, but will it happen? That's another story. Nintendo has a lot of games in store for 2015; we know this, but what about 2016? It is certainly possible Nintendo are pulling all stops for 2015, and the first half of 2016 and then preparing us for the NX towards the end of 2016. It could happen, but we'll see.

Ex-Actarus

While I won't disagree that releasing a console the same year it was unveil is what should happen, Nintendo cannot rush things. Do I secretly want the Wii U to last its full five year cycle as past systems? Yes I do, because it is a truly unique little console with a lot of great games on it.

Is 2016 possible? Absolutely, but will it happen? That's another story. Nintendo has a lot of games in store for 2015; we know this, but what about 2016? It is certainly possible Nintendo are pulling all stops for 2015, and the first half of 2016 and then preparing us for the NX towards the end of 2016. It could happen, but we'll see.
I don't think Nintendo is rushing the console. I think they took the decision to move on to a new console last year. When they saw that games as Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 could barely boost Wii U sales, they've decided to go ahead with a console in 2 years ( which bring us to late 2016 ). So the studios that were working on Wii U games started to shift their focus on the next gen console.

Don't you think the fact some games have fallen of the radar as Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Maker and FE x SMT, indicates that Nintendo is pushing some games into 2016 ?

Why they would do that ? Maybe because they don't have that many more games to bring on Wii U... Because the internal studios have moved on ! The NX, the next Portable ( assuming NX is not a hybrid ), Mobile games, 3DS and the Wii U. That's a lot of platforms to support at the same time ! That's means less games on Wii U and 3DS. This can ONLY indicates an imminent release IMO, so 2016...

E3 will give us the best indication. I think that Nintendo will announce 2 or 3 new games. Some 2015 bound games will be pushed into 2016, in order to have a decent year on Wii U.

Ex-Actarus

I think you should see Nintendo PC games as for example Pokemon TCGO.

If I were you, I wouldn't be that excited. I don't think we're going to play a full Zelda title, for example, on a PC.
@Odo , maybe Nintendo is going to a Cloud infrastructure similar to Onlive, Gakai or Shield. So maybe you could play your NX or Wii U game, remotely on your PC ! Who knows ?

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
Right now, there's nothing to suggest the NX will launch in 2016. Unveiled? yes, but launched? Unlikely.

Nintendo does not unveil a console, and then release it the same year. Not saying it can't happen, but if people are so rushed into wanting the next-gen system, Nintendo certainly cannot rush it like what everyone said for the Wii U. 2017 is much more likely for a launch year.
Actually, Nintendo has a history of unveiling handheld consoles (which is what I think the NX is) in the same year (or very close to it) as release. The DS was hinted at in 2003, but wasn't unveiled until E3 2004, it then came out in November of that year. Then with the 3DS it was unveiled at E3 2010 and came out in early 2011.

I think we're in the era of consoles being unveiled in the same year, or close to it, as release. It worked out amazing for both the PS4 and X1, announcing them close to launch helps keep the hype levels up.

Talking about the home console, I don't expect that to be announced until 2017.
Why the handheld guesses? Hybrid system aside (vomiting in my throat just uttering that), of course.
I would love that as a name by the way.
These 4 things lead me to believe it's a handheld:
  1. The 3DS came out before the Wii U, traditionally this means the handheld line should be getting a refresh first.
  2. Late 2016/early 2017 matches up with how often Nintendo is refreshing the 3DS line and assuming the New 3DS is the last 3DS (the name indicates it is), it would make sense for a new line to start instead of another 3DS.
  3. Nintendo ordered some free form screens, they will be ready in 2016 (the year the NX might come out). Assuming these are not for QOL or that the next home console has a screen on it's controller (unlikely :( ), these will be for a handheld.
  4. AMD will have a ARM chip ready for a gaming device in 2016, ARM chips have always been used in handhelds and the timing matches up with the screens and the NX.
I don't believe a hybrid console exists so all those things point me towards the NX being a handheld.
@TechnoHobbit , I think that the 3DS proved that the casual moved on from dedicated gaming devices. So the idea here for Nintendo is to go after the casual gamers that moved on mobile devices. They won't come back ! Casual gamers are not ready to pay 200/250$ for a gaming device to play games they can get on their phones.

I think we should forget the typical 5 years console cycle. Last gen proved that the 5 years console cycle is no more ! The Wii U is a commercial failure, there is noting wrong to move on at some point. Nintendo is not going artificially maintain the Wii U for 2 or 3 years just to make the make the 5 year cycle... What's the point of keeping a console out there without games coming on it anyway ? Microsoft released the 360 4 years after the Xbox. So we have precedents.

As I said in other threads, I suspect most of Nintendo studios have moved on the next gen console. You need "at least" 2 years to develop a game. Probably 3 years for the bigger games as Zelda. So that means Nintendo studios are already hard at work on the next console. Miyamoto himself confirmed that the next Mario game will be on the next gen console. If a studio like Grezzo or Retro start developing a game today, it won't be released for the Wii U !!!

Besides do not forget that there will be some overlap between the Wii U and the NX. So the Wii U could still receive games in 2017 even if the NX is released late 2016.
There's still a niche group of "casuals" that buy handhelds, but I suppose this market isn't really worth it any more when they could get a lot more money via mobile games, not to mention it's constantly shrinking anyways.

I agree the 5-year cycle is broken, but it's been broken not by shortening the cycle, it's been broken by making it longer. The very minimum people expect now days is 5 years. And there are a number of games that will support the Wii U through at least 2016 (2017 will almost certainly be dead, but that's to be expected based off past gens), Pokken and FE x SMT are the two we can almost certainly expect. At E3 I expect a number of 2016 games will be announced as well (Animal Crossing being a big one). By extending the gen as long as possible Nintendo will also have a chance to make back the losses the Wii U's early days caused and it will give them time to make sure one of the Wii U's biggest problems, game delays, will not repeat.

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

In short, your saying it's okay for Nintendo to suck in a vertical because there's another company that sucks in that vertical.

No.

EvilTw1n

What I disagree with is his decision to not to this years ago. It's solid proof that he has no vision, no game theory, and that he should be replaced with someone who holds those qualities, tiger.
Don't know what to tell you, dude. It's just silly to read the following sort of exchange:

-"X needs to happen!"
Y'know, OK. It does.
-"You're still terrible!"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The guys over at NintendoLife have an interesting article about the NX

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...why_we_think_a_unified_platform_is_the_future

I've made no secret that I think a unified platform that could replace the 3DS and WiiU is something I would embrace wholeheartedly.

What are your thoughts on the article?
Won't load for me. But @theMightyME has been on the hybrid idea for awhile; we talked about it at length on here months ago. If current trends continue, it certainly makes more economic sense for Ninendo to try to sell 60 million NX devices instead of splitting their resources between 50 million on 3DS and 10 million on Wii U. But...
  1. The 3DS came out before the Wii U, traditionally this means the handheld line should be getting a refresh first.
  2. Late 2016/early 2017 matches up with how often Nintendo is refreshing the 3DS line and assuming the New 3DS is the last 3DS (the name indicates it is), it would make sense for a new line to start instead of another 3DS.
  3. Nintendo ordered some free form screens, they will be ready in 2016 (the year the NX might come out). Assuming these are not for QOL or that the next home console has a screen on it's controller (unlikely :( ), these will be for a handheld.
  4. AMD will have a ARM chip ready for a gaming device in 2016, ARM chips have always been used in handhelds and the timing matches up with the screens and the NX.
I don't believe a hybrid console exists so all those things point me towards the NX being a handheld.
'Zactly. The time frame matches up for a handheld, as does the alleged new chip set.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Don't know what to tell you, dude. It's just silly to read the following sort of exchange:

-"X needs to happen!"
Y'know, OK. It does.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Won't load for me. But @theMightyME has been on the hybrid idea for awhile; we talked about it at length on here months ago. If current trends continue, it certainly makes more economic sense for Ninendo to try to sell 60 million NX devices instead of splitting their resources between 50 million on 3DS and 10 million on Wii U. But...

'Zactly. The time frame matches up for a handheld, as does the alleged new chip set.
There's a difference between making a good decision, and making a good decision waaaaaaaay too late. It speaks toward the person's decision making ability.

I don't get how you don't understand this. A good leader has foresight. Iwata doesn't have an ounce of it.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

-"X needs to happen!"
Y'know, OK. It does.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's a difference between making a good decision, and making a good decision waaaaaaaay too late. It speaks toward the person's decision making ability.

I don't get how you don't understand this. A good leader has foresight. Iwata doesn't have an ounce of it.

He's basically saying "whoops, I fucked up by not going mobile 3 years ago, time to go mobile". Well no shit Sherlock. He fucked up cause he's a fuck up. Look at Wii U. Nothing more needs to be said except for "we accept your resignation, you fuck up."

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I fully believe that NX will be a handheld... that can also stream to your TV when you want it to do so.

When they talked about the NX being a "brand-new concept", what aspect of a new handheld would make it that new? That leads me to believe that the "brand new concept" part of it is that the handheld will be able to stream to the device of your choosing (TV, PC).

EvilTw1n

He's basically saying "whoops, I fucked up by not going mobile 3 years ago, time to go mobile". Well no shit Sherlock. He fucked up cause he's a fuck up. Look at Wii U. Nothing more needs to be said except for "we accept your resignation, you fuck up."
Everyone fucks up. Everyone makes mistakes. Yes, I understand that. But it would be patently foolish to hold any person to a standard of "don't ever make mistakes." I'm surprised that even needs to be typed into a sentence, tbh. You've made up your mind and don't care about any counterpoint or context (which I have typed up at length elsewhere), so I can't say there's much point continuing here.
I fully believe that NX will be a handheld... that can also stream to your TV when you want it to do so.

When they talked about the NX being a "brand-new concept", what aspect of a new handheld would make it that new? That leads me to believe that the "brand new concept" part of it is that the handheld will be able to stream to the device of your choosing (TV, PC).
We were talking about this last night in COD. That exact scenario - a handheld that streams to your TV. I like the idea.

But it would also rely on Nintendo bumping up their handheld internals substantially. It would need Wii U-level performance, bare minimum, in a small form factor with good battery performance that runs cool. Delivered at a competitive market price that doesn't create a huge per-unit loss for Nintendo. No small feat, that.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
We were talking about this last night in COD. That exact scenario - a handheld that streams to your TV. I like the idea.

But it would also rely on Nintendo bumping up their handheld internals substantially. It would need Wii U-level performance, bare minimum, in a small form factor with good battery performance that runs cool. Delivered at a competitive market price that doesn't create a huge per-unit loss for Nintendo. No small feat, that.
I personally love the New Nintendo 3DS XL. It's easy to handle, screen is a good size. The form factor of it is better for my hands than the regular 3DS.
If Nintendo could do something along the size of the 3DS XL (2 screens, it does so well on a handheld, I see no reason to get rid of it), with an HD upper screen, that was as powerful as WiiU and could stream to TV. Added bonus of being easy to program for, and I think Nintendo would have a game-changing hit on their hands world-wide.

I think market price for something like that, with the tech available at that point, I could see around $250, with extra for the Nintendo Stick (the device that would allow you to stream to TV).

What about internal memory? Sufficient amount but also able to hook up to external HD (when you wanted) where you could swap out games that you wanted on internal memory and store the rest there?

Shoulder

Actually, Nintendo has a history of unveiling handheld consoles (which is what I think the NX is) in the same year (or very close to it) as release. The DS was hinted at in 2003, but wasn't unveiled until E3 2004, it then came out in November of that year. Then with the 3DS it was unveiled at E3 2010 and came out in early 2011.

I think we're in the era of consoles being unveiled in the same year, or close to it, as release. It worked out amazing for both the PS4 and X1, announcing them close to launch helps keep the hype levels up.

Talking about the home console, I don't expect that to be announced until 2017.

There's still a niche group of "casuals" that buy handhelds, but I suppose this market isn't really worth it any more when they could get a lot more money via mobile games, not to mention it's constantly shrinking anyways.

I agree the 5-year cycle is broken, but it's been broken not by shortening the cycle, it's been broken by making it longer. The very minimum people expect now days is 5 years. And there are a number of games that will support the Wii U through at least 2016 (2017 will almost certainly be dead, but that's to be expected based off past gens), Pokken and FE x SMT are the two we can almost certainly expect. At E3 I expect a number of 2016 games will be announced as well (Animal Crossing being a big one). By extending the gen as long as possible Nintendo will also have a chance to make back the losses the Wii U's early days caused and it will give them time to make sure one of the Wii U's biggest problems, game delays, will not repeat.
I read your post yesterday, and read it again just now. I was ready to say no, but I think you're probably right. It will have been five years since th 3DS came out, and while it hasn't been the success of the DS, it's still the best selling gaming platform out right out. The NX could be their net handheld, especially when you factor in the ARM chips being ready in 2016. ARM is what Nintendo uses for their handhelds, so it matches up, and @EvilTw1n and I wondered if maybe ARM could extend to their home consoles as well, which would fall in line with their unification of architectures, on top of OS, and accounts.

On top of it all, you factor in their new membership program coming out later this year ahead of a potential 2016 unveiling and launch for the NX, it almost perfectly matches into place.

Odo

All right, those are my thoughts on NX:

NX is part of the new Nintendo Platform (of course :D)

Iwata is creating a new concept of Nintendo Platform, now there are two, but next generation is going to be one unified platform with some devices that share the same membership system and operational system like he's been saying for a while.

NX is not the third pillar

I don't bite that. I don't think Nintendo is going to maintain 3DS, Wii U, NX and Mobile, even with NX and Mobile sharing the same technology.

NX is a rightful successor!

NX will be the first of the new unified Nintendo OS and it's going to commence the Nintendo Devices Era

NX is going to be the first console with the new Nintendo OS that is going to be Nintendo's version of iOS. It means that "NintyOS" will be the OS of all Nintendo devices from next generation on.

Nintendo will be able to develop any kind of device they want. Small ones, very small ones, children ones, highly powerful, less powerful, streaming to TV, not streaming, with 3D, without 3D, two screens, one screen, etc.

NX is going to be the Wii U successor and partially a 3DS successor

NX is going to be a "device" that runs NintyOS and I'm quite sure that it's going to be the heir to the Wii U's audience.

That means that Nintendo will stop delivering games for Wii U to support NX properly. 3DS is still strong and New 3DS is the Nintendo handheld that can get more Pokemons, maybe a new Zelda, a metroid, another Mario and many more games.

But, that doesn't mean that NX isn't a 3DS successor, because I believe NX is going to be a device with screen, like GamePad, that will be able to connect to your TV. I don't know if streaming it will be bult-in or not. Maybe you will need to buy a "Nintendo TV" or something.

So, some time after NX come out, Nintendo will release the "Mini NX", that is going to be as small as a 3DS, with lower hardware specs but running NintyOS of course.

After that, consumer will have NX and Mini NX to choose and most of the games developed by Nintendo will run on both.

NX may have ARM inside

I think ARM is the future. A couple of years from now, iPad is going to be more powerful than a PS4.

We've already talked about that here on TNE.

Using ARM arquitecture, NintyOS is going to be similar to Android/iOS and that will standardise the way Nintendo/DeNA will code their games for all Nintendo Platform devices. I'm not talking about porting but the way all Nintendo/DeNA/subsidiaries/2nd parties develop their games is going to be almost the same.

NX will come out in 2016

November is the month of Nintendo.

So from now to November 2016 is enough time to get NX ready.

Perhaps Wii U will have a few new games for the first half of 2017 and then Wii U will die for good.

So, I'm betting people are going to buy NXs on 2016 Xmas while WiiU will get its last games.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Everyone fucks up. Everyone makes mistakes. Yes, I understand that. But it would be patently foolish to hold any person to a standard of "don't ever make mistakes." I'm surprised that even needs to be typed into a sentence, tbh. You've made up your mind and don't care about any counterpoint or context (which I have typed up at length elsewhere), so I can't say there's much point continuing here.

I never said "don't ever make any mistakes", I said don't fuck up year after year after year, which is what Iwata does. You're using spin to distract from the fact that he hasn't been a good CEO.

EvilTw1n

I never said "don't ever make any mistakes", I said don't fuck up year after year after year, which is what Iwata does. You're using spin to distract from the fact that he hasn't been a good CEO.
Rubbish. There is no spin in pointing out your broken record here. I ain't bothering with it any more, either. It's a fruitless discussion.
Like your McDondald's connection was gonna hook you up. :p

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Rubbish. There is no spin in pointing out your broken record here. I ain't bothering with any more, either. It's a fruitless discussion.

Like your McDondald's connection was gonna hook you up. :p
Broken record... Sorry for telling the truth over and over. How much more does Nintendo have to fail in the console industry before you blame their leadership instead of every other element of the industry?

This industry is what it is, and Iwata cannot advance Nintendo in it.

You're right in that you can't change my mind, but your wrong in saying I'm incorrect about this.

Fucking silly, mike.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk

I'm always quick to shoot down anything that resembles blurring the lines between handheld and home console (that's 10th gen stuff), but... I could actually see something like this happening.

This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has experimented with something like this, for instance the Super Game Boy and the Game Boy Player both played around with the idea of playing handheld titles on your TV. This would simply be the evolution of an old idea in a modern day setting, something Nintendo likes to do (PowerGlove = Wii, Virtual Boy = 3DS, DreamCast/GameCube – GBA link cable = Wii U). As an added bonus Nintendo has the tech know how to make a streaming device of of this sort thanks to the Wii U GamePad.

It could also tie in with the next home console, instead of buying the "Nintendo stick" to unlock this feature people could also have the option (a year or so later) of just buying the next home console which has a lot more great titles (including some crossbuy games), the NX to TV streaming built in, and Wii X (or whatever it'll be called) to NX streaming (like off-TV play).
---------------
Looking at what I typed, it actually reminds me a lot of what Sony is trying to do (with some failure) with the PlayStation eco-system. You can play PS Vita games on the PS TV and both of these devices can stream (via internet) PS4 games.

Odo

BTW

The next generation talk madness:

http://www.ibtimes.com/sony-corpora...ming-could-be-physical-or-cloud-based-1764042

Whether it is a physical home console or not, Sony says that the PlayStation 5 will be focused on games. [WHAT?]
(...)
Sony has made a major push to advance its cloud gaming services with the release of PlayStation Nowand the $100 PlayStation TV console, but the company only makes a slim profit on the sale of its consoles.
(...)
Ito told Nikkei that while the PS5 might be a change of form, its next-generation games will advance the medium, which is the company's goal. Sony has reportedly shifted much of its focus from traditional media to its video game platform in the past few months. It will cut back its television and smartphone divisions to focus on PlayStation projects like the Morpheus virtual-reality headset.

Could Sony become a game-only company like Nintendo?

Sony is struggling as a multi business mega corporation and is losing competition even with all its assets. Is PS profit enough for Sony?

Shoulder

Broken record... Sorry for telling the truth over and over. How much more does Nintendo have to fail in the console industry before you blame their leadership instead of every other element of the industry?

This industry is what it is, and Iwata cannot advance Nintendo in it.

You're right in that you can't change my mind, but your wrong in saying I'm incorrect about this.

Fucking silly, mike.
The Wii U itself is certainly looking that way of becoming a failure, but if and only if you're looking at it from a particular point of view. If you look at the Wii U in terms of sales, yes, it is a failure right now. But it's interesting what this potential failure has managed to launch with Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, W101, Bayo2, Smash Bros, Wind Waker HD, DKC: TF, MK8, Kirby, etc. For a possible failure, it sure has released some fantastic games, and we haven't even gotten into XCX, Zelda, Splatoon, Devil's Third, Mario Maker, Yoshi, etc. Granted, unreleased games are not representative of great products, because we haven't played them yet. Imagine what Nintendo could do if the Wii U were the success of the PS4 right now?

Does Nintendo need a good kick in the pants? Absolutely. Their decisions over the last few years have called into question many from us who are die-hard Nintendo fans to boot. Nintendo's stance, or lack thereof on Online and taking it seriously, the Virtual Console, consistent flow of games, lack of AAA 3rd party support, etc.

I get what you're saying though about making these decisions right now versus a few years ago, but I also doubt Nintendo had no knowledge of it. They probably thought, "Let's wait and see what the market says, and then we'll act upon it." That's not to say Nintendo doesn't take gambles though. The Wii and DS are clear examples of that. The Wii U and 3DS are also gambles from Nintendo, and one of them hasn't been the success they would want it to be. But Nintendo also did that to themselves by putting the Wii and DS onto such high pedestals in the first place. They used the name brands of the Wii and DS, to help drive their consumer base with the 3DS and Wii U, and guess what? It didn't work. The 3DS was too expensive, and did not have a great lineup of games until a year later, on top of a massive price cut. The Wii U had a decent launch, but the price turned off folks, and the infamous drought in 2013 did not help either, and then AAA companies cancelling support was bad too.

There was also the name, and Nintendo's lack of ability to correctly educate the masses that the Wii U was not an add-on to the original Wii, and was instead an all new console. Although I do have to give the masses some flack because you can find out what the system is with a simple Google search. It's not that hard to figure out what it is. "Hmm, Wii U? What's that? *google search* Oh I get it now."

Does Iwata need to go as CEO? Yes and no. Yes because Nintendo had three years of losses under him. When the PS3 wasn't a big success, they hired a new CEO to turn things around, and it has helped them ever since then. The PS4 is proof of that (although, where are the exclusives?) But No for Iwata because they do have a plan in store, and I'm interested to see what this plan of action they is. Embracing mobile gaming, working on a new platform, keeping steady with the success of the 3DS, and still supporting the Wii U even when its success isn't anywhere near what the PS4 is.

Under Iwata, the DS, DSi, Wii, and 3DS have become successes, whereas the Wii U hasn't been the success of the others. I discount the GCN and GBA because those came out while Yamauchi was still with Nintendo. Both the 3DS and Wii U though have cost Nintendo billions in their cash reserves, although a lot of that money has also come from other R&D projects, on top of a new headquarters, the QOL platform, and other misc things we probably don't know about. There's been a lot of restructuring within their internal staff from merging their handheld and console divisions, to their online infrastructure with the Nintendo Network.

Should have some of those things happened years ago? Probably, but maybe Nintendo figured it wasn't as important back then during the Wii/DS era because of their success. I think Nintendo got cocky, and it wasn't simply Iwata either.

I don't know though. We can debate debate, and debate all day about this. Until I see what Nintendo has in store for us with Mobile gaming, the new memerbship program, and of course the NX, I'm going to play the waiting game to see. We also have the Fiscal year ending soon, so it'll be interesting to compare and contrast the 2013 fiscal year versus 2014. Any improvement for Nintendo is good not only for Nintendo themselves, but Iwata's future as CEO as well.

Aki

We definitely don't know anything of NX right now, but I really hope that Nintendo gets their stuff together and doesn't release another stop gap console like the Wii U. If Nintendo could learn from all of their mistakes with Wii U, they could make something magical. All in all, if it has Zelda, I'll be buying it eventually, even if it's to just play that one game. That's the pull Nintendo has on me with some of its games.

Ex-Actarus

@TechnoHobbit , you know I'm afraid FE x SMT and Pokken are not Wii U bound. FE x SMT is a joint project with Atlus, maybe they don't want it to come on the Wii U and would prefer to move it to the next gen console ? And Pokken... We NEVER heard Nintendo confirm that Pokken would come on Wii U. As Eurogamer says ( actually what they say is really close to what I said yesterday ) , It's possible that Zelda Wii U will be the last big game on Wii U... The game has yet to be confirmed for 2016... Zelda games tend to be pushed back...

However I agree with you the console cycle is now longer. No question about it. 5 years is not enough anymore to make a Return On investment. That said, if your console is a commercial failure, you'd better off moving to the next gen product as soon as possible otherwise you can be irrelevant. We ALL agree that the NX will probably come out in 2017 ( I still favor late 2016 ). That means 4 years after the PS4 and Xbox One, that's right the middle of the gen ! That's a pretty uncomfortable situation for Nintendo. By then, you will probably have 60 million PS4 and 40 million Xbox One on the market... That why I expect a system as powerful as the PS4/Xbox One that will last 4 years or so ( as the Wii U ).

Source : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-the-nx-nintendo-admits-defeat-with-the-wii-u

Ex-Actarus

All right, those are my thoughts on NX:

NX is part of the new Nintendo Platform (of course :D)

Iwata is creating a new concept of Nintendo Platform, now there are two, but next generation is going to be one unified platform with some devices that share the same membership system and operational system like he's been saying for a while.

NX is not the third pillar

I don't bite that. I don't think Nintendo is going to maintain 3DS, Wii U, NX and Mobile, even with NX and Mobile sharing the same technology.

NX is a rightful successor!

NX will be the first of the new unified Nintendo OS and it's going to commence the Nintendo Devices Era

NX is going to be the first console with the new Nintendo OS that is going to be Nintendo's version of iOS. It means that "NintyOS" will be the OS of all Nintendo devices from next generation on.

Nintendo will be able to develop any kind of device they want. Small ones, very small ones, children ones, highly powerful, less powerful, streaming to TV, not streaming, with 3D, without 3D, two screens, one screen, etc.

NX is going to be the Wii U successor and partially a 3DS successor

NX is going to be a "device" that runs NintyOS and I'm quite sure that it's going to be the heir to the Wii U's audience.

That means that Nintendo will stop delivering games for Wii U to support NX properly. 3DS is still strong and New 3DS is the Nintendo handheld that can get more Pokemons, maybe a new Zelda, a metroid, another Mario and many more games.

But, that doesn't mean that NX isn't a 3DS successor, because I believe NX is going to be a device with screen, like GamePad, that will be able to connect to your TV. I don't know if streaming it will be bult-in or not. Maybe you will need to buy a "Nintendo TV" or something.

So, some time after NX come out, Nintendo will release the "Mini NX", that is going to be as small as a 3DS, with lower hardware specs but running NintyOS of course.

After that, consumer will have NX and Mini NX to choose and most of the games developed by Nintendo will run on both.

NX may have ARM inside

I think ARM is the future. A couple of years from now, iPad is going to be more powerful than a PS4.

We've already talked about that here on TNE.

Using ARM arquitecture, NintyOS is going to be similar to Android/iOS and that will standardise the way Nintendo/DeNA will code their games for all Nintendo Platform devices. I'm not talking about porting but the way all Nintendo/DeNA/subsidiaries/2nd parties develop their games is going to be almost the same.

NX will come out in 2016

November is the month of Nintendo.

So from now to November 2016 is enough time to get NX ready.

Perhaps Wii U will have a few new games for the first half of 2017 and then Wii U will die for good.

So, I'm betting people are going to buy NXs on 2016 Xmas while WiiU will get its last games.
Love this post :)

NX New Nintendo Platform ? I agree. Iwata said that he wanted to take inspiration from Apple with their Iphone/Upad echosystem.

NX is not a 3rd pillar ? I'm not sure... I think the NX will be a "stopgap" console that will allow Nintendo to catch up on Sony and MS. maybe they will be able to sell 30 to 40 million units in 4 years. That would quite an achievement when you arrive 3 years after the others... The "REAL" next gen will come in 2020.

NX will be the first of the new unified Nintendo OS and it's going to commence the Nintendo Devices Era ? I'm not sure they would go that far. You seem to indicate that Nintendo OS would be closer to Android than IOS...

NX is going to be the Wii U successor and partially a 3DS successor ? Possibly... Again, similar to what Nvidia did with the Shield.

NX may have ARM inside ? ARM or X86 ! Remember there were 2 AMD design wins, one with ARM and the other with X86. It's possible that NX is... 2 devices !!!

NX will come out in 2016 ? AGREED 100% ! No way Iwata is announcing a deice 2.5 years before it's release... NOT HAPPENING ! He announced NX because it's coming next year. Period.

EvilTw1n

Broken record... Sorry for telling the truth over and over.
"Truth," which has been given counterpoint after counterpoint after counterpoint on these forums for months, dude. Don't think I have forgotten. And yes, it's quite silly to act like such discussions never happened or ever provided any valid pushback.
When the PS3 wasn't a big success, they hired a new CEO to turn things around, and it has helped them ever since then.
One small correction (which I remember from the many, many, many posts in the sales thread): Kaz wasn't just jettisoned, and neither was Kutagari-san. These guys weren't just dumped as liabilities. Kutagari was promoted then became an honorary chairman (before retiring) and Kaz was promoted - twice - as well (despite their leadership tag-teaming the PS3's massive losses). Kaz is now Andrew House's boss, so it's not really accurate to say House gets sole credit for the PS4.
Could Sony become a game-only company like Nintendo?

Sony is struggling as a multi business mega corporation and is losing competition even with all its assets. Is PS profit enough for Sony?
Sony is a multinational conglomerate. I don't think they'll just drop their motion picture and movie divisions in a precipitous sell-off. Could be wrong, though, of course.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
"Truth," which has been given counterpoint after counterpoint after counterpoint on these forums for months, dude. Don't think I have forgotten. And yes, it's quite silly to act like such discussions never happened or ever provided any valid pushback.

One small correction (which I remember from the many, many, many posts in the sales thread): Kaz wasn't just jettisoned, and neither was Kutagari-san. These guys weren't just dumped as liabilities. Kutagari was promoted then became an honorary chairman (before retiring) and Kaz was promoted - twice - as well (despite their leadership tag-teaming the PS3's massive losses). Kaz is now Andrew House's boss, so it's not really accurate to say House gets sole credit for the PS4.

Sony is a multinational conglomerate. I don't think they'll just drop their motion picture and movie divisions in a precipitous sell-off. Could be wrong, though, of course.
I haven't said anything that isn't the truth. As a CEO, it's your job to grow the company.

Stop making excuses for this four foot geek.

He doesn't do his job. He's a fucking blister.

EvilTw1n

I haven't said anything that isn't the truth. As a CEO, it's your job to grow the company.

Stop making excuses for this four foot geek.

He doesn't do his job. He's a fucking blister.
You have given your opinions, minus context when it is convenient for you. I won't tell you to stop doing it, though. Whatever floats your boat.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
You have given your opinions, minus context when it is convenient for you. I won't tell you to stop doing it, though. Whatever floats your boat.

I can provide context in any capacity you desire. From hardware to software to marketing to 3rd party consortium to development volume to any other thing Nintendo does in the console space. He's failed on all fronts. It's very hard to say what he's managed correctly when it comes to Nintendo making a home console.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
@TechnoHobbit , you know I'm afraid FE x SMT and Pokken are not Wii U bound. FE x SMT is a joint project with Atlus, maybe they don't want it to come on the Wii U and would prefer to move it to the next gen console ? And Pokken... We NEVER heard Nintendo confirm that Pokken would come on Wii U. As Eurogamer says ( actually what they say is really close to what I said yesterday ) , It's possible that Zelda Wii U will be the last big game on Wii U... The game has yet to be confirmed for 2016... Zelda games tend to be pushed back...

However I agree with you the console cycle is now longer. No question about it. 5 years is not enough anymore to make a Return On investment. That said, if your console is a commercial failure, you'd better off moving to the next gen product as soon as possible otherwise you can be irrelevant. We ALL agree that the NX will probably come out in 2017 ( I still favor late 2016 ). That means 4 years after the PS4 and Xbox One, that's right the middle of the gen ! That's a pretty uncomfortable situation for Nintendo. By then, you will probably have 60 million PS4 and 40 million Xbox One on the market... That why I expect a system as powerful as the PS4/Xbox One that will last 4 years or so ( as the Wii U ).

Source : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-the-nx-nintendo-admits-defeat-with-the-wii-u
While Pokken isn't confirmed yet, I'm still almost certain it'll come to a console sometime in 2016 (it fits the traditional Japanese fighting game timeline). Though I suppose if Nintendo's next home console does come in 2016 it might go to that instead. FE x SMT on the other hand I will continue to believe is coming to the Wii U until further confirmation. Same with entries in the Animal Crossing and Paper Mario series at the very least, both of which I expect have been in development for quite some time based off the output by the studios responsible for the two series.

E3 is less than 3 months away, so I guess that's when we will likely know once and for all if the next home console is coming in 2017 or 2016.

Anyway, agreed. Nintendo will be in a very interesting place next gen, I could see their next console being gen 8.5. It will be interesting to see how Sony and Microsoft will react to a system coming out in the middle of what they want to be a really long gen. I wonder if it will cut their gen short, or if they still want it to last least 8 years like the last. If that happens Nintendo might be able to come out with another system a year after they do, still keeping them in the Nintendo 5 year cycle. There's way too many if's to the whole situation.

EvilTw1n

I can provide context in any capacity you desire. From hardware to software to marketing to 3rd party consortium to development volume to any other thing Nintendo does in the console space. He's failed on all fronts. It's very hard to say what he's managed correctly when it comes to Nintendo making a home console.
I'll ignore every other discussion we've had when your reply was a variation on "but the stocks!"
Nintendo will be in a very interesting place next gen, I could see their next console being gen 8.5.
If it's only a half bump, it better be in some weird hybrid design. Because a half-step isn't really proving itself too well with the U.

Last edited:
Brah though, if Nintendo starts developing complete games for PC, I may not immediately dive into their console unless it truly a new actually fun concept.

Wii U got the new part down, but the GamePad was usually not actually fun to use.

Ex-Actarus

While Pokken isn't confirmed yet, I'm still almost certain it'll come to a console sometime in 2016 (it fits the traditional Japanese fighting game timeline). Though I suppose if Nintendo's next home console does come in 2016 it might go to that instead. FE x SMT on the other hand I will continue to believe is coming to the Wii U until further confirmation. Same with entries in the Animal Crossing and Paper Mario series at the very least, both of which I expect have been in development for quite some time based off the output by the studios responsible for the two series.

E3 is less than 3 months away, so I guess that's when we will likely know once and for all if the next home console is coming in 2017 or 2016.

Anyway, agreed. Nintendo will be in a very interesting place next gen, I could see their next console being gen 8.5. It will be interesting to see how Sony and Microsoft will react to a system coming out in the middle of what they want to be a really long gen. I wonder if it will cut their gen short, or if they still want it to last least 8 years like the last. If that happens Nintendo might be able to come out with another system a year after they do, still keeping them in the Nintendo 5 year cycle. There's way too many if's to the whole situation.
The problem for FE x SMT is that we haven't heard ANYTHING about the game since the January 2013 direct, that's 2 years ago !!! When games go through such a hiatus it's because they've been cancelled ( as project Hammer ) or move to the next gen console ( as Pikmin 3 ). Besides, we just had a teaser, not a single gameplay footage or even a screenshot. I don't buy it...

Paper Mario ? Animal Crossing ? It's possible ! But when I see how very popular franchises as Donkey Kong and Mario Party ( only 50 K in its first week for Mario Party 10 in Japan ) performed on Wii U, I'm not entirely sure... However, I expect old franchise as Waverace or F-Zero to resurface ( as Starfox ).

For the NX situation I was thinking, do you have a precedent ? I'm not sure. I was thinking the Dreamcast, as it came maybe too early or too late...

The Dreamcast came in 1998 in Japan ( 1999 in the rest of the world ), that means 2 years after the N64 and nearly 4 years after the PS1 ; but 2 years before the PS2 and 3 years before the Gamecube and Xbox. What a WEIRD situation...

Man, I really hope Nintendo does manage well the NX release, it's going to be very tricky indeed !

Last edited:

Odo

Yeah, I'm not sure we're going to get Pokken, I bet no.

FE x SMT, hmmm, I hope so, I agree that it's not cancelled yet, but Int. Sys. is working on 3DS FE and I don't know if they're able to sort two FE games out. I know that Atlus is involved, but... It'd be sad. I want to play a Wii U FE.

About Animal Crossing, I don't think it's a good idea. Animal Crossing sells tons on 3DS and as a Animal Crossing player I'd say that it's a handheld game. I know GC and Wii both got it, but Animal Crossing is like Pokemon.

Paper Mario I believe they're developing it right now.

I also expect a big Retro game announcement soon.