THE OFFICIAL M RATED TNE GTAV THREAD - NEW AND IMPROVED FOR PC [MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS]

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Well somebody had to make this.... So might as well be me.... The Multiplayer is going to kick off next month so us GTA enthusiasts will need a thread to hook up and play with our fellow TNE brethren....
This can also be a thread for story discussion or just general discussion about the game if you like.... Basically anything GTA related is fair game and on topic.... And when the multiplayer kicks off we can use this thread to help start our own TNE CREW online....

I'm pretty sure the people here who have it, have it on PS3 so.... Let the madness begin....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Oh yeah and grown ups only bitches.... 17 and up.... If you ain't old enough to buy this game you ain't old enough to talk about it either.... This thread is Rated M for Mature.... <):)

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Man just everything great from all the past R* games has been incorporated into GTAV....
Red Dead Redemption - Story quality, expansive overworld, animals, whether system, mini games, multiplayer
LA Noire - Animation, cinematic presentation
Max Payne 3 - Story quality, detailed graphics, tighter gunplay, blood and gore, cinematic presentation
You can just tell that R* learns something new from every game they make.... And they have put all of that knowledge into GTAV....
The water and whether systems alone have just taken this game to a whole nother level in terms of presentation.... If there is cooler lightning effects in a game then I haven't seen it....

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
It really does feel like everything rockstar has been doing over the last 10 years has been "practice" for gta5. They are absolute masters of the sandbox genre.

I hope they put the same kind of effort into gta online that they put into liberty city stories.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
It really does feel like everything rockstar has been doing over the last 10 years has been "practice" for gta5. They are absolute masters of the sandbox genre.

I hope they put the same kind of effort into gta online that they put into liberty city stories.
Agreed.... I'm fucking hyped beyond belief to start playing this game online with you guys....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The possibilities for multiplayer in this game are going to be damn near endless.... Racing, flying, skydiving, shooting, parkour running across rooftops.... I mean we will be able to do whatever we can imagine within the game's world.... Just thinking about all the stuff I will do online in this game is making me salivate with anticipation....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The first meeting between Trevor and Mike is so tense.... I was just waiting for Trevor to start murdering everyone in the scene.... Awesome shit....

It was genius to delay the online because despite the online being crazy fun it would have problems and it would have brang the score down. By not having online at launch it assured GTA V's 98 rating at the moment.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
It was genius to delay the online because despite the online being crazy fun it would have problems and it would have brang the score down. By not having online at launch it assured GTA V's 98 rating at the moment.
You know I never thought about it that way.... :-?

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
This game takes GTA's whole thing of art imitating life to the next level.... I have now played the torture scene myself and I have concluded that it is one of the best scenes of its type in any anything.... It feels powerful in what it's trying to convey and at the same time pokes fun at itself in a way that let's you know what R* really thinks about torture in general, even if it features it in its games....
The expressions on the guys face when you are about to water board him rings home that R* has indeed figured out how to create these very tense movie like moments....
Tense moments that even have laughs in between because of how much some of those things parody stigmas associated with things in real life, like the public stigma associated with the government and how it employs torture as a means to gather information and how it in turn uses that information....
Almost every mission plays off of some of the greatest types of crime thrillers in how you are constantly switching places between the three characters playing these missions while the same thing is going on so you can see that same thing from different perspectives just like these films cut between characters to create tension....
It's almost like editing in a film in that way, but it's not just cutting between different scenes, it's main focus is to switch between different play styles during the missions that allow you to do so....
In the case of the torture scene you are switching between Trevor, who is torturing the guy to get information, and Micheal who is in turn using that information to assassinate the person they are trying to get info on....
This scene is much more powerful than most would have you believe and has a twist at the end that makes all the more sense.... Trevor is the ultimate rebel incarnate.... At one point he even changes your radio station during this one mission because he says it just doesn't feel right....
The differences in what these characters are doing in terms of committing violence really aren't that different from each other, but their reasons for committing those violent acts are completely different....
All I can say is bravo Rockstar.... Bravo....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I have conflicted thoughts on this game myself. I loved the story around that torture scene point, hell I thought it was being damn amazing and poignant with its portrayal of violence and such. Thirty FBI missions later, I had gotten tired of it, but at the same time the interactions between the characters got more interesting, and it was cool to actually play them out in real time (switching to Michael to cover Trevor with a sniper in Lamar's mission, for example). All the same, I think the story could have been a little shorter.

At the same time, the game does some great things with the character development, in terms of how it presents the characters to the player. If you only play the story mode, you are only really getting a small part of what each character is all about. To understand them better, you need to do their side missions, have them hang out, go drinking, help random strangers, do the random events, and even use the RIGHT D-PAD button to talk to random NPCs on the street; doing these things gives you a better understanding of what each character is like. This is the first time that I find myself understanding each character better because of the actions I do with them in the game, and I think that's a fantastic thing, and possibly a good step for gaming as a medium for the humanities.

On the mechanical level, though, I'm disappointed in the game. I was impressed by how seamless it was to switch between a character on a helicopter, to a guy on a motorcycle, to a guy with a sniper rifle, and so on, and it feels fantastic. However, each mechanic by itself is mediocre, except for driving, which feels fantastic. Moving around on foot feels as clunky as always, and shooting isn't so great either. Most of the minigames in the game play terribly. Of the $270 Million this game had for its budget, I doubt a single million went to polishing its game mechanics, and if it did, it doesn't show.

Overall, I really liked the game, but was also frustrated with some of its mechanics very often. Thankfully most of the game is spent driving, because that's the most polished mechanic present. On the other hand, the writing, the modeling, the acting, the music licensing, and all the various "cinematic" aspects of the game, were very well produced, and give the game a very unique and life-like feel.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Anyway, that's my mini review with no score attached to it. Now I have a question:
What's to be done in the end-game? I'm not the kind of guy that can spend his time collecting the 30 pieces of submarine and the 30 nuclear waste containers in the ocean, so that leaves me wanting to do things like buy and manage my properties, and play the stock market. Unfortunately, it seems impossible to buy certain properties without playing the stock market heavily, and I don't know how to play the stock market in this game without it feeling like gambling. Is there a way to influence the stock market? For example, will the Worldwide FM stock price go up if I always listen to that radio station?
This one might sound stupid, but I never could figure it out: how the hell do you use the bawsaq stock market? I imagine there are many stock opportunities only available through it, as several of the Lester missions involved companies that don't show up in the LCN list of publicly traded companies, which meant I could never make money off those. Is there something in specific that I need to do to open up the bawsaq, like stalk specific people on LifeInvader or something (which I also never did)?

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I think it feels much tighter all around than GTAIV, TLatD and TBoGT.... I've never really had any frustrations with the controls in any GTA game though except maybe the first 2 GTA games with the top down perspectives....
Not sure about the Stock Market stuff, but after I beat the game I plan to 100% it and play multiplayer.... I will probably play multiplayer GTAV to the point of obsession....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Oh yeah, I may have come off as a little dismissive in my post, but I think this is the best GTA yet, hands down. It found a great medium between the arcadey top-down GTA, and the more realistic and slow-paced 3D GTA. Hell, even the rampage missions are back, blessed be Trevor. That shit's crazy, but it's a good feeling to shoot hipsters. Man, I loved when I was mowing down hipsters, then "reinforcements" arrived on their fixie bikes, that was hilarious.
I said in my Splinter Cell Blacklist review that I only really complain about minor things in games when they are otherwise great, or could have been even better without those flaws, and that's the same I'm doing here. I sound harsh, but it's only because I wish I was playing an even greater version of the game. Thankfully there's a probably PC version in the horizon, that's going to be incredible.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Oh yeah, I may have come off as a little dismissive in my post, but I think this is the best GTA yet, hands down. It found a great medium between the arcadey top-down GTA, and the more realistic and slow-paced 3D GTA. Hell, even the rampage missions are back, blessed be Trevor. That shit's crazy, but it's a good feeling to shoot hipsters. Man, I loved when I was mowing down hipsters, then "reinforcements" arrived on their fixie bikes, that was hilarious.
I said in my Splinter Cell Blacklist review that I only really complain about minor things in games when they are otherwise great, or could have been even better without those flaws, and that's the same I'm doing here. I sound harsh, but it's only because I wish I was playing an even greater version of the game. Thankfully there's a probably PC version in the horizon, that's going to be incredible.
I'll probably get the PC version too.... I have to admit the PC versions of GTAIV are the best.... GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas are better on console simply because of them playing better on PS2 imo.... Even the PSN versions of them play better than the PC versions of those games because of the controls and resolution differences.... They were just better on consoles....
I'm still waiting for a PC version of Red Dead Redemtion.... But I really love the PS3 version.... The best thing about GTAV on PC imo is going to be the framerate and resolution bumps.... It really is the only huge difference between the PC and console versions....
I have a great fucking PC for games and GTA does look great in 1080P.... But the differences other than resolution bump and the framerate being a bit higher were very minor imo.... I wouldn't even play GTA on PC if I hadn't figured out how to use my Dual Shock 3 on my PC....
I honestly feel like 3D GTA was meant to be played on PlayStation consoles....
There is also the fact that on PC the pedestrians seem to have much more variety in how they look.... The lighting is much better too imo....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I played it for another while today. I just can't find things to do in the end-game, because the property management missions come in too seldom. I've just been wishing there was any substance to the property management, actually. It would be so great to be able to hire people to work in your properties, like the people from the strangers and freaks missions and such. Other than, the system should be more robust, to give you more things to do. Tie it in to the stock market system, and you got yourself 300 hours of my time, Rockstar.
Right now, there is too little to do in the game, except for steal various vehicles and run over hookers. That was fine back in GTA2 and GTA3, but we are so far along now, so why haven't they fleshed out any more systems to keep us busy in the end-game? Why introduce cool ideas like property management and the stock market, if they don't let you do anything with them?

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I played it for another while today. I just can't find things to do in the end-game, because the property management missions come in too seldom. I've just been wishing there was any substance to the property management, actually. It would be so great to be able to hire people to work in your properties, like the people from the strangers and freaks missions and such. Other than, the system should be more robust, to give you more things to do. Tie it in to the stock market system, and you got yourself 300 hours of my time, Rockstar.
Right now, there is too little to do in the game, except for steal various vehicles and run over hookers. That was fine back in GTA2 and GTA3, but we are so far along now, so why haven't they fleshed out any more systems to keep us busy in the end-game? Why introduce cool ideas like property management and the stock market, if they don't let you do anything with them?
It's called online multiplayer Juegos.... It's usually what they add to games to help give them replay value.... And it starts next month.... Not to mention how all the mission have grades, another way to add replay value so you can go back and 100% each mission.... I'm sure there are hidden birds somewhere that is always something to do....
Having 100%'d RDR and GTAIV and I can tell you that it is no small accomplishment to do so in any GTA game.... You could always do that too.... I mean listening to your last post would have people believe there is NOTHING to do after the end game scenerio and that is just not true at all.... Especially if you are me and saved all the side content for last.... Stunt Jumps...? Just fuck around with the cops...?
Maybe in your opinion those things are not "fun for you" but trust me people, there is still plenty to do.... And when multiplayer launches next month there will be even more to do.... Hell the multiplayer in GTA could keep you playing a game like this for 300 hours alone all without ever even touching the story mode....
Just like RDR, the multiplayer will give this game legs like no other.... Hell people still play RDR multiplayer a lot even today.... Not to mention there will most likely be DLC for GTAV at some point down the line.... Sorry but yeah this game has TOO much to do.... And when you can do too much with a friend online.... Watch out now....
100%ing RDR and GTAIV took me over 100 hours each.... Hell I'll probably spend that kinda time base jumping alone in GTAV.... Perhaps deep sea diving...? Shark hunting with a knife...? I can't wait till Oct.... @-)
I feel like you don't really enjoy GTA without having a story to guide your experience.... I love just doing random things for hours.... If you have ever watched some of my GTAIV PC vids you can see how much I love just screwing around in GTA....
I mean Rockstar is basically unlocking a whole nother side to GTA next month that is going to be so full of content that it will be like an entire game unto itself.... Be patient Jueg.... Next month you will have plenty to do online.... Trust and believe....
I mean you guys still play games online on Wii U like BO2 with no map packs and NFS online just to race.... Just think of that compared to how much you guys praise those games when you play them online for being so much fun even to this day....
Now imagine what you'll be able to do in GTAV online Jueg.... I swear if you dislike the online next month I will have lost all faith in humanity.... :((

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The reason there "so much fun to this day" is because of the company, not the games itself.

BO2 is alright we have our fair share of complaints. Same for NFS. It's the people tho, we just cut up the whole time.

There is much praise for the company, not so much the games. Oh and we kick butt, winning always helps.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The reason there "so much fun to this day" is because of the company, not the games itself.

BO2 is alright we have our fair share of complaints. Same for NFS. It's the people tho, we just cut up the whole time.

There is much praise for the company, not so much the games. Oh and we kick butt, winning always helps.
I was just trying to get at that the online will be as fun if not more so in terms of gameplay than some of the games you guys play on the regs.... But I could be wrong and he will hate every second of it.... With my luck it will probably be the latter.... I was hoping to get all these guys online to play this like you guys do your Wii U game nights....
But we'll see.... I'm not sure I'll be able to get these guys together to play like that or not.... Only time will tell.... I'll probably be playing this online a lot regardless if that happens or not.... But it would be nice to start a TNE crew on GTA.... If this were on Wii U I see people around here caring about this a lot more.... But it being on PS3/360 it might be harder to get people rallied up to play....
I'm still working on the story so.... Savoring this game.... Last time I was this into a game was FarCry 3....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The submarine mission feels very The Abyss-ish.... Especially the sub you use.... The underwater effects are as good if not better than anything I've ever seen in any game including Uncharted 3, Last of Us and FarCry 3.... It's truly staggering how much awesome is in this game....
In fact after all this time playing games I've never had that Abyss underwater type moment until 5 minutes ago.... Fucking badass....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Oh I know there are tons of things to do for some people in this game. I said before, that I'm not the kind of guy to go collecting the 30 lost pieces of submarine, and 30 nuclear containers, and 30 spaceship parts, and 50 stunt jumps, and on and on and on. That sort of stuff doesn't keep me busy.
I was being mocking in my last post with the whole "steal various vehicles and run over hookers", and that's my bad, but it is something that I hardly enjoy in the game. I went back to Just Cause 2 for months because that game's mechanics are fun to me (seamless parachuting, driving jets and helicopters, skydiving, landing on trucks all in an instant), but I don't see myself going back like this to GTA5. Mostly because I don't like the shooting mechanics much, and that's essentially what I'd be coming back to -- shootouts with cops. There is barely anything to spend my money on, too, besides RPGs and grenade launchers to have more shootouts with cops. I feel like I already had too many of those in GTA4, and Vice City, and 3, and 2, and the GBA one. I wanted more than cop shootouts this time.
You are wrong about me needing a story to enjoy the game. For the last half of the game, I was eager to finish the story so that I could get started on other things like buying properties (and cars), and playing the stock market, but it turned out that those systems are not developed at all. I hear that the online play will actually affect the stock market, though (if you rob fleeca, then the other bank's stock goes up), so you're right that the online will bring more to play in the game. I don't know yet that it will convince me to get Xbox Live again, so I might just wait for the PC version instead.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Oh I know there are tons of things to do for some people in this game. I said before, that I'm not the kind of guy to go collecting the 30 lost pieces of submarine, and 30 nuclear containers, and 30 spaceship parts, and 50 stunt jumps, and on and on and on. That sort of stuff doesn't keep me busy.
I was being mocking in my last post with the whole "steal various vehicles and run over hookers", and that's my bad, but it is something that I hardly enjoy in the game. I went back to Just Cause 2 for months because that game's mechanics are fun to me (seamless parachuting, driving jets and helicopters, skydiving, landing on trucks all in an instant), but I don't see myself going back like this to GTA5. Mostly because I don't like the shooting mechanics much, and that's essentially what I'd be coming back to -- shootouts with cops. There is barely anything to spend my money on, too, besides RPGs and grenade launchers to have more shootouts with cops. I feel like I already had too many of those in GTA4, and Vice City, and 3, and 2, and the GBA one. I wanted more than cop shootouts this time.
You are wrong about me needing a story to enjoy the game. For the last half of the game, I was eager to finish the story so that I could get started on other things like buying properties (and cars), and playing the stock market, but it turned out that those systems are not developed at all. I hear that the online play will actually affect the stock market, though (if you rob fleeca, then the other bank's stock goes up), so you're right that the online will bring more to play in the game. I don't know yet that it will convince me to get Xbox Live again, so I might just wait for the PC version instead.

I just find it amusing that you're basically saying for you GTAV has no replay value when it in fact probably has the most replay value of any game released this entire year.... That's for you, him, her, them and us.... And that is all without the multiplayer....
And no wonder you're not pumped about the online multiplayer, you're playing it on the wrong console my friend....
My online fee will be free, frEE, FREE! Muahahahamaaahahaahahahha!

Fuck X-Box Live! MUhauhahahhahahhahuahhauWawaahahaha!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRamB30E9mU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT-g8hxysKA

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I can't argue on that, having an Xbox is nobody's fault but mine.
And I'm not saying saying that GTA5 doesn't have replay value, I know there are a lot of people that love just exploring the game's AI, fighting cops, getting 100% completion, and so on. It's just not what I like, so it doesn't have that kind of replay value for me (at least until I play it online). I was also looking forward to having a lot of things to do with the property and the stock market, but then I didn't find that after finishing the game, so I'm a bit soured by that.
But it's got replay value for a lot of people, that's no question. Just not for me yet.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
And I'm not saying saying that GTA5 doesn't have replay value, I know there are a lot of people that love just exploring the game's AI, fighting cops, getting 100% completion, and so on. It's just not what I like, so it doesn't have that kind of replay value for me (at least until I play it online). I was also looking forward to having a lot of things to do with the property and the stock market, but then I didn't find that after finishing the game, so I'm a bit soured by that.
But it's got replay value for a lot of people, that's no question. Just not for me yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7-Bks927w

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
well, most of the replay value in that game is coming from the online portion, and you really can't blame the game for not playing it...

but there's also 2 ways to do every heist, and they're ranked, so you can go for gold on all of them. there are a lot of street races to complete, as well as sea races. probably air races too.

the money you accumulate in game is meant to be used in gta online where you can spend it on cars, weapons and houses/apartments that will likely serve some gameplay purposes (mini-games).

there's also golf, tennis, bowling and I don't know what else, but those are gonna be more fun online. basically if you don't play online, you're only getting half the game. but even in sp I'm finding it full of fun stuff to do. after a ton of time with the game I feel like I'm still just scratching the surface.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
There is a heist mission that is almost a direct nod in terms of content to the movie HEAT and the armored car robbery scene....That's wtf the story in GTAV is.... It's a heist movie.... And a very good one at that....

Is there a way to influence the stock market?

Apparently these videos tell you how to influence the stock market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=61op1XkW2jQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5zWEQ0UCdRQ

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've read a ton of times on /v/ that those methods don't really work, in spite of these guys trying them for hours. It's probable they were doing it wrong, or that they didn't wait enough time for the stock market to update.
But if it works, I'm not interested in spending hours on a tank waiting for the stock market to update. I'd honestly rather go swimming for the submarine pieces instead.
There is an upcoming space-sim game called X:Rebirth. Its franchise is known for having a deep economy system in which you have to buy your own properties, hire people to work them, hire mercenaries to defend your factories, and hire traders to take the product to sell at other factories, or to buy elsewhere the resources your factory needs to continue producing. You can control the price at which you sell things, and you have to experiment to make sure you don't lose money by selling too little at a high price or too much at a low price. You can also control the economy by blowing up competitor factories to direct traders to your establishment instead of your competitors'.
If GTA5 had borrowed a tiny bit of that economy system, and then tied it with the stock market, the possibilities would have been endless. Imagine buying a CluckingBell franchise, using it as a front for drug production (Pollos Hermanos style), and then going on and blowing up TacoBomb establishments to drive up the CluckingBell stock prices. Man, I'd be doing that shit all day long.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
^It's not just those features that I want, it's the ability to play them in a 3rd person open-world game with seamless vehicle and character transitions.
Anyway, I might give in and get one month of Xbox Live Gold if you guys are planning on playing it. You guys still up for forming that crew?

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Xbox Live...?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RghYrGUJjWk
PS3 baby....
And I would love to start a crew for GTAV and RDR but I really don't see that happening here on TNE.... Too many variables with it being multi platform (not everyone will have the same versions) and there are only a few people around here who play it....
The lack of response to this thread pretty much assured me that making a TNE crew for GTAV on PS3 will be damn near impossible....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
well, i'm down. @Aki64 probably is as well.
I think LLM said he might too.... We'll see I suppose.... Hopefully we can all get together for at least one game sometime.... I might try to record it for fun if we do....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Oh yeah, I forgot you guys had the PS3 version. Damn, I guess I'm saving myself $7, and I'll just wait until the PC version comes out.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Haven't been able to even connect to the online version yet.... It would seem R* was not prepared for the influx of users trying to get online all at once in the very beginning.... Hopefully they get it ironed out today so I can play....
Not to mention it's using cloud servers to save all our online data which doesn't seem to be functioning at all atm....
It's funny how you make your online character.... You choose randome parents and grandparents to give your online avatar his or her look.... At first it made my dad John Marston, lol.... Pretty neat way to go about the online character creation though....
Lot better than RDR and how you just choose a skin.... Now if only I could actually play....