The Official Super Mario Maker Thread âš  Share your levels!

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
@juegosmajicos Thanks! That's awesome that you were able to speed run that level. I knew making it that 99.9% percent of players would play it slow and methodical. I'm can be content with at least one person seeing the other side of it.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I finished my newest level about 11pm last night, but it still needs to go through "Quality Control Testing" (which means Steve2 plays the level so I can see how other people will play it, and see if there are any bugs or unfair things I need to fix) before I upload it. It was a lot of fun to build, so I hope the end result shows that.

For the past 3 months, I've been obsessed with Splatoon, but since SMM came out, I haven't loaded Splatoon once. I know I'm not done with Splatoon at all, it's too good to stop playing, but for now I'm having a blast with SMM.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
By the way has anyone played the Fly Swatter minigame? That was a really cool nod to Mario Paint. And it definitely played better on the touchscreen than on the terrible trackball mouse from back then.. But I disliked how short it was.

sjmartin79

My newest course:

"SMB: Mario Kart Jump Drive"
51A8-0000-004C-3A84

Obviously it's a Mario Kart amiibo course. First area is to get you in the mood, second area to test your jump skills. Drive fast. Jump well. Enjoy!

Last edited:

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Binging on some TNE goodness

Mario Kart Jump Drive
@sjmartin79

The theme here is fun, but I suggest remaking this into a full fun level. You've been working on levels that are engaging but accessible. I think you have a great mechanic here that fits the bill. Bouncing off walls and keeping momentum is really fun and satisfying. It's a keeper.

It took me a minute to catch on, so I also suggest making a beefier, yet safe, tutorial so players understand. Then make more fun kart sections that really explore the mechanic of bouncing off walls.

Your challenging parts do a good job making the player feel badass, but you should really avoid blind jumps. I know it's hard working around the limited camera. I've struggled with this as well.

You can skip half the second section. I missed a jump but landed on a platform below. I was able to complete the level from here.

The ending is great. Bravo.

The Run of Yoshi
@TechnoHobbit

When everything is falling right, the level's theme is awesome. Sadly, jumping will throw off the timing and then the blind drops become frustrating. You want design the level to insure the player is just running forward during drop sections.

Jumping off Yoshi is crazy fun, but the player shouldn't have to die to figure it out. Introduce a safe tutorial yoshi jump section and then have a dangerous one later.

Junior's Fotress
@Mr-Chris

The enemy placement at first seems random. It could use a more concentrated mechanic. Rest of level is solid. I died a lot, but kept coming back for more!

Hard part is in a good place pacing wise, but it's a really sharp difficulty spike. It's also a blind jump.

Your hidden part is really random, but fun when found. You might consider giving the player a hint.

The aesthetic elements were really well done.

sjmartin79

Binging on some TNE goodness

Mario Kart Jump Drive
@sjmartin79

The theme here is fun, but I suggest remaking this into a full fun level. You've been working on levels that are engaging but accessible. I think you have a great mechanic here that fits the bill. Bouncing off walls and keeping momentum is really fun and satisfying. It's a keeper.

It took me a minute to catch on, so I also suggest making a beefier, yet safe, tutorial so players understand. Then make more fun kart sections that really explore the mechanic of bouncing off walls.

Your challenging parts do a good job making the player feel badass, but you should really avoid blind jumps. I know it's hard working around the limited camera. I've struggled with this as well.

You can skip half the second section. I missed a jump but landed on a platform below. I was able to complete the level from here.

The ending is great. Bravo.
ne.
Thank you for your critique. My original intent was to build a whole level like the first part, just huge with driving and bouncing off walls, but as I was building it, the level wanted to be something else, so the second part came into creation. I'm actually working on a second one called Mario Kart Fun-Time Drive that is all fun, momentum, bouncing, etc.
As for the blind jumps, those were totally intentional. I made them so you would land properly 99% of the time if you go for it, but wanted to give the player an "oh shit" moment as well. In my 30 playthroughs of the level before uploading, I only missed the jump on the top section twice. Once I landed safely and could finish the level quickly. Other time, I landed in the lava. Lol
Again, thank you! I always appreciate feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed the first part. Gives me more confidence to finish Fun-Time Drive.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm catching up on the latest levels. I just played @sjmartin's Mario Kart one, it was fantastic! I would suggest adding a starman part, they make you go even faster and jump farther so you can go crazy with the jumps and sense of speed, and they still feel like Mario Kart of course. The conveyor belts were a great idea for the sense of speed. And if I'm not mistaken, you didn't use the fast ones, did you? If you shake the conveyor belt item when placing it, it will transform into one that's about twice as fast (you can do the same with the automatic skull platforms (Edit: just realized you've placed these in other levels already)). Generally, the Mario Kart concept is really fun here, I'm looking forward to your next one for sure.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

@juegosmajicos - Actually, I had zero idea you could make even faster ones! Thank you for letting me know!
I will edit the new "Fun-Time Drive" to add those in.
And you read my mind, there's already a section with the star for faster. :) Now have to experiment with the faster tracks to see what the speed in that section really becomes.
Again, I truly appreciate you letting me know! This changes everything.

Tips for unlocking new items in the Maker; use all the new things you get upon unlocking and also try combining and stuff and when you get a message for X arriving soon, spam blocks. Spam blocks eeeeeeeeeeverywhere until you get the message saying they've arrived earlier than expected. Use all new bits again and repeat.

Or alternatively just change the clock in your Wii U lol.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
so what is everyone's DLC wishlist for this game?
I think a tile-set and graphics style for super mario bros 2 (US) would be good, mixing that with more traditional mario elements would be fun...
I also think they should have tilesets for other classic nintendo franchises... but zelda and metroid aren't the first to come to mind... pikmin is
you can place them in the ground, and pluck them out (mario2 style) then they follow you (like when you tap the 8-bit mario amiibo and another mario follows you) and you tap b the item button to throw them
a xenoblade pack would be cool... maybe a level type with cool crazy xenobalde backgrounds, and some mechonis enemies... but mario'd up... like a mechonis bowser
a cat suit power up from 3d world....
metroid I think could give cool power ups more so than tile sets... like a screw attack power up... that also lets you wall jump in any art style
I'd probably spend like $50 for all of that lol

the other cool thing would be some sort of boss maker.. outside of the actual game.. you could create aspects of the boss like a character creator... not just make it bigger or add wings... but all sorts of crazy stuff then save it as a tile

to be more on topic.. here are some of my levels

first stage I made
FC4C-0000-002B-3B48

my favorite dungeon I have made
023E-0000-0040-171E

my proudest creation so far
1AED-0000-0045-5168

I still have some rows to unlock

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
so what is everyone's DLC wishlist for this game?
I think a tile-set and graphics style for super mario bros 2 (US) would be good, mixing that with more traditional mario elements would be fun...
I also think they should have tilesets for other classic nintendo franchises... but zelda and metroid aren't the first to come to mind... pikmin is
you can place them in the ground, and pluck them out (mario2 style) then they follow you (like when you tap the 8-bit mario amiibo and another mario follows you) and you tap b the item button to throw them
a xenoblade pack would be cool... maybe a level type with cool crazy xenobalde backgrounds, and some mechonis enemies... but mario'd up... like a mechonis bowser
a cat suit power up from 3d world....
metroid I think could give cool power ups more so than tile sets... like a screw attack power up... that also lets you wall jump in any art style
I'd probably spend like $50 for all of that lol

the other cool thing would be some sort of boss maker.. outside of the actual game.. you could create aspects of the boss like a character creator... not just make it bigger or add wings... but all sorts of crazy stuff then save it as a tile

to be more on topic.. here are some of my levels

first stage I made
FC4C-0000-002B-3B48

my favorite dungeon I have made
023E-0000-0040-171E

my proudest creation so far
1AED-0000-0045-5168

I still have some rows to unlock
Mario 2 would blow me away. It could be my favorite Mario

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
You can make music in a level. If you shake a note block, it will change to a beige-colored one that plays a note depending on it's vertical position.

It pretty much goes from C3 to D4, I think, from bottom to top. Every object that can bounce on a block produces a different noise, some being items like the fire flower and others being enemies like the piranha plant. You can even make chords. Some items like the bullet bill cannon work as percussion. Here's a guide for how to do it:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805618-super-mario-maker/72481056

I put a little jingle in a level I made today. It's in a secret area so I rather not spoil it.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

Here is my newest level! Took me almost a week of building, tweaking, and testing to get it just right.

"NSMB: 9 Rooms, 9 Doors, 9 Lives"
D754-0000-0058-B5AE

It's my tribute to the game 999. Bowser has trapped Mario in a dungeon to test his skills in a deadly challenge. Can you get through all 9 rooms before time runs out? Careful with your jumping! Some rooms have no floors, and if you fall, you'll have to start back at the beginning. (Once you get to room 6, you'll only be sent back to room 6. I'm not a total asshole.) Also, there are 9 1up mushrooms, 1 in each room. (Hence the name of the level.)

Special thanks to my Quality Control Tester (Steve2) who helped me tweak the level so that you didn't get frustrated and wanted to rage quit or throw the gamepad across the room.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

ASuch

The Salt Master
Some music levels for @FriedShoes and others who want to try to make them
90EE-0000-002B-A2E7 (Smash Bros theme)
423F-0000-0023-EEEB (Gourmet Race)
BD37-0000-003F-D16E (Zelda theme)

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Working on my first casual, fun level. I'm struggling. I've come up with a few challenges I like but realize they are too hard for mainstream players.

@mattavelle1 Once I got to the top of your level, I just long jumped that bitch for the win.

Last edited:
Some music levels for @FriedShoes and others who want to try to make them
90EE-0000-002B-A2E7 (Smash Bros theme)
423F-0000-0023-EEEB (Gourmet Race)
BD37-0000-003F-D16E (Zelda theme)
thanks, looking through those levels helped a lot.
Finally made some progress in my chord work. It seems that the guitar is the only instrument that holds, interesting. Things dont sound perfect, but once I get the basic layout down polishing should be good to go. This is great.

theMightyME

Are my levels too hard? I am not a good gamer, so I was always worried they would be too easy. I kept ramping up the difficulty so they wouldn't be a breeze... Most of my stages are quite small though... Even if they are hard

sjmartin79

Here is my newest Mario Kart course, as promised! Super fast tracks, springs for jumping (without having to jump). Enjoy a fast drive above and below the Mushroom Kingdom!

"SMB: Mario Kart Fun-Time Drive"
2D8D-0000-0059-EB25

Last edited:

sjmartin79

@mattavelle1 - I think the secret for designing with this game is to design for yourself. Design what you'd like, design what you'd play, design what makes you happy. It will come through to others when they play your level.

It's like cooking. When you cook with love and passion, people can taste it in the food.
I believe the same is true here.

theMightyME

my levels aren't successful, but I have fun designing them... I like to design something that is a cakewalk, and then refine and refine and refine... and just keep testing... I am not a great gamer by any means, but I make sure I can clear each "part" of my stage on its own... sometimes just barely... and then I het to the final product which often times takes me forever to complete... I know it can be completed because I have beaten each part... and I don't always die at the same part because of that... if I do keep dying at the same part, I further refine... but usually the hardest part for me is changing up my rhythm... one part of my stage requires no hesitation, and the next might require patience.... I don't necessarily plan that on purpose... it just happens soemwhere in the refining process

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@mattavelle1 - I think the secret for designing with this game is to design for yourself. Design what you'd like, design what you'd play, design what makes you happy. It will come through to others when they play your level.

It's like cooking. When you cook with love and passion, people can taste it in the food.
I believe the same is true here.
What if your terrible at cookin:mnerv:

So Far I Have Created 3 Levels. My focus has been puzzles and problem solving type design. I am finding out that my first level was pretty challenging so I have been working on making my levels have multiple paths. I have put alot of thought into the 2nd and 3rd so let me know what you all think. I wish there was an option to privately share these before posting them public that way I can still have people test them.

#1 Over The Trump Wall (30C7-0000-001E-D967)

#2 Don't Get Lost Boo! (3D81-0000-0040-AA70)

#3 Wiggler Factory (7678-0000-0055-CA0B)

Attachments

theMightyME

I haven't played any of your levels yet... But today is the day... I am waiting for a bus right now... When I get home... The first thing I am going to do is... Write for TVE since I need to put up a Spotlight feature tomorrow... Then I will reward myself with some mario maker, this time playing your levels. I know I am always desperate for feedback on my levels, so I'll try and give you guys good feedback too