The Official Super Mario Maker Thread âš  Share your levels!

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
so I played a ton of your levels.. I posted on all the ones I played ( I think) I also followed you all and just went bottom to top through every level you have online (not everyone yet)
some I finished, some I didn't.. but I played a ton and commented on all of them
Thank you so much for all your comments! (I checked miiverse a few minutes ago. BTW, love that you can check in online when you're not at your Wii U.) I'm sorry about Slip and Slide, Kid Icarus, and 999. Thank you for trying all of them though! And good job with the shortcut!

I'm off work tomorrow, so I'm going to go through all of your levels. (And everyone else's)

Last edited:

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
ok who goes by the NNID Cream?

imma kill you hahahah I have to take like a week off of mario maker, I played through all your stages as best i could and am now so stressed out I feel sick... not just hard.. but super fucking stressful

sjmartin79

@juegosmajicos - Played and beat all your levels. Well done. Stars on all.

@Mr-Chris - Played and beat all your levels. Great challenges. Stars on all.

@theMightyME - Played all of yours. Beat all but three. Will come back to them most likely. Starred the ones I could beat. Will give stars on the others once I beat them. PS you are evil. (I plan to star all your levels, because they are well designed even if they are evil)

Working my way through all the TNE courses. Will get more tomorrow. Very impressed by all of you guys! Keep up the amazing creativity!

Last edited:

81jono81

Oh, sweet! I should have known ya'll would have a thread like this :) will try out some of you guys' levels tomorrow!

For now, though, here are mine to throw in to the mix:

Uninterrupted Platforming: FB4F-0000-0053-09B1

Skulls N' Belts: F4E5-0000-0053-6216

They're not as good as I'd like, but it's early days yet. I'll get there. I did my best to introduce concepts and then build on them, but I definitely could have done better. Whatever the case, feel free to try 'em out and let me know what you think!

sjmartin79

Here's my newest level:

"SMB: Luigi's Puzzling Mansion"
B5E8-0000-0077-8AE4

It's a combination of two ideas that I had that worked well together as one level. It worked hard on the aesthetics of this one to not leave a lot of empty space and get the feel of being inside something.

Side note: I always seem to max out on certain items by the end of designing my levels. I take that as a good thing. lol

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm still unlocking everything. In the mean time I'm messing around getting ready to figure how to build a masterpiece. Till then

Hammer hades
117B-0000-007C-C1F7

I hated doing these when I was a kid..........that's why I made this

sjmartin79

I just want to hurry up and unlock everything. I got the day off so thought I could knock out some easyish ideas. I hope y'all haven't played anything like them.
I honestly found the easiest way to unlock everything was to build for 5 minutes, exit out, change the clock, play again for 5 minutes, etc., repeat. I had it all unlocked in a little over an hour.

sjmartin79

Tonight, I'm putting the finishing touches on my newest level "Peach Stumbles Home". It's more of an "experience" than it is a platforming challenge. You still have to move the character, but... well, you'll see.

sjmartin79

My newest level:

SMB: Peach Stumbles Home
61B8-0000-007D-B87F

After a wild night out at Daisy's Disco with Goomba Go-go Dancers and Bob-Omb Burlesque, Peach must stumble back to her castle. But oh, her head is spinning. Hope she can make it home safely! (Call a cab!)

It's less of a platforming level and more of an experience with some platforming. Super easy, takes about 20 seconds, but it's something I've been wanting to build it for awhile.

Last edited:

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I haven't played a whole lot of SMM this past week or so because of playing Splatoon + being busy, but as of today I'm back in. Looking forward to catching up of levels I missed out on over the next few days and finally creating some new content.

Get ready for Flappy Squid 2.0 :msilly:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Just picked up Mario Maker tonight and made a fun little level I call Bowser's Death Pit. Pair various turtles against each other IN THE PIT! You can start the mayhem and watch from the center as the deaths rack up. Who will be victorious? Random turtle left or random turtle right? Find out!

60CD 0000 0080 7D11

sjmartin79

Just picked up Mario Maker tonight and made a fun little level I call Bowser's Death Pit. Pair various turtles against each other IN THE PIT! You can start the mayhem and watch from the center as the deaths rack up. Who will be victorious? Random turtle left or random turtle right? Find out!

60CD 0000 0080 7D11
Can't wait to check it out!

simplyTravis

In Mario's latest adventure he is tasked in finding buried treasure! Go on a deep sea dive and face the oceans wrath! Once you find the key look for the X and dive down deep! The way to treasure lies beneath!

X Marks The Spot - FIND THE GOLD
7637 0000 0085 8B42

sjmartin79

In Mario's latest adventure he is tasked in finding buried treasure! Go on a deep sea dive and face the oceans wrath! Once you find the key look for the X and dive down deep! The way to treasure lies beneath!

X Marks The Spot - FIND THE GOLD
7637 0000 0085 8B42
I played, beat, and starred all your courses. Also added you as a creator to follow.
You've got a lot of good ideas. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
Your "Fury Road" is your best and strongest course.

sjmartin79

Here's my newest level:

"NSMB: Donkey Kong Homage Remix"
D8CA-0000-0089-06E9

Bowser may be Mario's most famous villain, but he's not his first major villain, and this has Bowser upset. To help himself feel better, Bowser has recreated the 4 original Donkey Kong levels, with some deadly Koopa twists, and is making Mario relive his past. Can Jumpman still jump his way to the top?

This one, during creation, seemed to take on a life of its own. Lots of tweaking and erasing entire stages. I've had this one in my head for a few months now, and I finally was able to create it to my satisfaction. I hope you enjoy a remixed trip down memory lane.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Zombie Apocalypse - Mario Style
0C6F 0000 0089 1A72

This wasn't supposed to happen... Bowser has brought upon the zombie apocalypse using dark magic. Survive long enough to get to your safe house, stock up, and survive. You might even live long enough to see Bowser's own hubris get the best of him.

sjmartin79

Here ya go

Ghost House J-6
7314-0000-007D-CE68
Bowsers Castle J-8
CA35-0000-0067-6AE1
World J-3
5F88-0000-005E-52EB
Airship J-1
3014-0000-0057-3170
Level 10-4
9C3F-0000-0043-65C1

go, play them,let me know what you think
Jason, I was able to play a majority of your courses before I had to leave for the evening. You definitely have a signature to your levels. Can't put my finger on how to describe it other than I could tell they were all designed by the same person. I really enjoyed myself.

I starred the ones I was able to play, and I added you as a creator to follow. Well done!

sjmartin79

I saw a quote the other day that really struck me, and I immediately saw it could be adapted to Super Mario Maker level creation.

"When you 'star' a course on Super Mario Maker, you starring more than just the level. You are starring numerous hours of edits and tweaking. You are starring moments of frustration and moments of sheer joy.
You are not starring just a level, you are starring something that the creator delights in sharing, a piece of their heart, a piece of their soul... a small piece of someone's life."

I know many people in this forum spend 8-12 hours, or even days or a week, when creating a level before uploading it. That is a lot of time, thought, and care by the creator. And when I saw this quote, I felt that it truly captured what we're all doing here, and the gratitude felt when someone plays/stars your course. It's recognition of a piece of you that you've shared with others.

sjmartin79

Here is my newest level:

SMB: Takeover at Koopa Kompany
5C24-0000-0093-0509

Someone has taken over the Koopa Kompany. Now Bowser must fight his way through the Enemy Factory, past the Research Labs, and through all his security protocols to find and eliminate the person responsible for this hostile takeover.

This is an amiibo level where you play as Bowser to reclaim his domain. It's not too hard, but not simple in all parts either. Tried to create an aesthetic that was constant through the level.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

Okay, had to try my hand at creating a Don't Touch Anything level.

I fully admit there's a lot of tweaking and testing involved.

SMB: Don't Touch Anything, Link
4F30-0000-0097-2ADA

Give it a shot. It's less than 30 seconds.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

So, I'm starting to realize what I see as a pleasing challenge is apparently the equivalent of Dark Souls : Mario Edition.

"The question is not if you will die, it's how many times will you die?"

My Zombie Safe House level has a success rate under 10 percent and most of the others are below 30%! I'm going to try to scale back the difficulty on my levels in the future because I notice if someone dies, they won't go back and finish it most of the time which makes people think its uber-hard. I love that Zombie level though. It has a story that I wish I could tell in person when people play, haha.

How are you guys balancing your levels? Do you care about making it moderately challenging or are you more concerned about giving the player an easy pass? I'm shooting for some World 3 and beyond kinda levels but I feel like I'm really just throwing all 8's.

Also, @sjmartin79 your levels are so good it is unreal. Great designs every time. I've shown that "Princess Stumbles Home" level to so many people!

sjmartin79

So, I'm starting to realize what I see as a pleasing challenge is apparently the equivalent of Dark Souls : Mario Edition.

"The question is not if you will die, it's how many times will you die?"

My Zombie Safe House level has a success rate under 10 percent and most of the others are below 30%! I'm going to try to scale back the difficulty on my levels in the future because I notice if someone dies, they won't go back and finish it most of the time which makes people think its uber-hard. I love that Zombie level though. It has a story that I wish I could tell in person when people play, haha.

How are you guys balancing your levels? Do you care about making it moderately challenging or are you more concerned about giving the player an easy pass? I'm shooting for some World 3 and beyond kinda levels but I feel like I'm really just throwing all 8's.

Also, @sjmartin79 your levels are so good it is unreal. Great designs every time. I've shown that "Princess Stumbles Home" level to so many people!
Here's something I figured out. When your friend posts a level, no matter how hard it is, people are willing to spend 20-30 lives trying to figure it out. That's what we do for our friends, and most of us enjoy a challenge. But unfortunately, the majority of people that will see your levels come across them on the 100 Mario Challenge, and that is where the low success rate comes in. You've got a ton of people just wanting to earn their amiibo costume reward so after 2 deaths, they'll hit pass on the level. Trust me, it says more about them than it does about your level.

My theory on levels is as long as they don't have troll deaths, then I'm going to work at the challenge. I may have to leave it for awhile and come back, but sooner or later I will get it. (Still need to beat Flappy Squids...)

So, what I'm saying is: Don't let the low success rate get you down. Build the levels you want to build. They will find an audience and be appreciated.

As for designing for difficulty or ease, I design around an idea or concept, and then that usually determines how easy (Mario Kart Fun Time Drive) or Hard (999) my levels end up being. For me, I never set out to build an easy or hard level, as I'm building around a concept, the level kinda builds itself from my imagination.

Honestly, I am consistently blown away by the challenges TNE has been able to create on Mario Maker. My hat's off to you all! (And I'm taking a creating break for a few days, so I'll be back to playing/starring your levels again.) The challenging levels you've been able to create and beat amaze me.

And Travis, thank you for the wonderful compliment! It really means a lot! (The Peach level is one of my favorites too. Makes me laugh every time. She's a silly bitch)

Last edited:

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Last night @ASuch inspired me to really dig into you guys levels.

I started with @sjmartin79 and might I say I'm so glad I started trying y'all's out.

Big time thumbs up Sjm from what I've played so far, and I only have a few of your newest ones left.

sjmartin79

Last night @ASuch inspired me to really dig into you guys levels.

I started with @sjmartin79 and might I say I'm so glad I started trying y'all's out.

Big time thumbs up Sjm from what I've played so far, and I only have a few of your newest ones left.
Thank you, @mattavelle1 ! I really appreciate the stars and comments! Finally beat your underwater level. That took some work. Well done!

@simplyTravis - Played and beat your newest levels! Loved the challenge! Stars on all! Your River Styx level was giving me fits till I found all the invisible blocks needed. Very clever!

@ASuch - Beat your level and gave it a star. I had heard about that glitch online, but hadn't gotten to experience it yet. Very well done!

I think I'm caught up on all the TNE levels. Great job everyone!