~~The Official Xenoblade Chronicles X Thread~~

I think the flight theme should have changed depending on what area you were flying over. That might have gotten ridiculous though
Over the rainbow, there's a glorio-WELCOME TO FUCKING OBLIVIAAAAAAAUGH!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I will say, if there's a third Xenoblade, I hope they don't stick with Xeno X's style of music. I think it'd be cool to see them go with different composers for each game. (Though I wouldn't say no to XC's composers coming back either :p )
I honestly don't know what to expect from the next game's music. I really like both XB and XCX's OSTs, but I do dislike some parts of XCX's a lot. All of the vocalists suck (except for the scat singer in NLA's day theme), and Sawano needs to learn to pick them better. And actually I don't think I want Sawano to compose it, at least not alone. But I'd like whoever ends up composing it, to at least take a page from what he did with some of those themes.

What if we got another dream team of composers, this time being Yoko Shimomura, Hiroyuki Sawano, and the return of Yasunori Mitsuda? Or even getting a bit of Uematsu and Hiroki Kikuta in there, since they seem to be a little more active recently. The one thing I can say for sure is that I want a crazy ambitious soundtrack, it's what befits the franchise the best.

81jono81

I honestly don't know what to expect from the next game's music. I really like both XB and XCX's OSTs, but I do dislike some parts of XCX's a lot. All of the vocalists suck (except for the scat singer in NLA's day theme), and Sawano needs to learn to pick them better. And actually I don't think I want Sawano to compose it, at least not alone. But I'd like whoever ends up composing it, to at least take a page from what he did with some of those themes.

What if we got another dream team of composers, this time being Yoko Shimomura, Hiroyuki Sawano, and the return of Yasunori Mitsuda? Or even getting a bit of Uematsu and Hiroki Kikuta in there, since they seem to be a little more active recently. The one thing I can say for sure is that I want a crazy ambitious soundtrack, it's what befits the franchise the best.
I would love to see Shimomura come back, and do more this time. Her doing the soundtrack is the main reason I want FF15, honestly. Sawano returning - yeah, for sure, I don't want him to do the whole thing. He can't do peaceful, and I don't like a LOT of his songs. That said, some of his stuff is marvelous - Noctilum and NLA both grew on me big time, and the non-vocal stuff of a lot of his vocal stuff is awesome. He just needs to be kept in check, and stick to his strengths.

But Mitsuda is the one I really want. He only did the ending theme of Xenoblade, which depresses me a little bit, because the composer of Chrono Trigger/Cross + Xenoblade? HEAVEN. I'd love to him really be a big part of the soundtrack if there's a third one. And the ACE+ people need to return too, because nothing in any game ever has ever surpassed Engage the Enemy.

81jono81

....Now I feel guilty, because Kiyota is the only one I didn't mention. And she did Satorl Marsh Night. So she can come back too.

JUST BRING EVERYBODY BACK I LOVE THEM ALL

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Finished the game tonight! Damn! What a game! Loved it! Looks like I completed about 95-98% of the game. Put in about 110 hours. (Hate to admit it, but the Lin/Tatsu relationship is my favorite thing in the game. Made me laugh/smile ever time.)

BobSilencieux

Finished the game tonight! Damn! What a game! Loved it! Looks like I completed about 95-98% of the game. Put in about 110 hours. (Hate to admit it, but the Lin/Tatsu relationship is my favorite thing in the game. Made me laugh/smile ever time.)
Well. I'm on about 350 hours. And still not at 100%. I have been doing a lot of farming for materials and battling Global Nemeses though. I'm at the stage now where I can kill the Telethia 250 times in one 8-minute run. I feel like I'm definitely going to get 400 hours out of this game...

sjmartin79

Well. I'm on about 350 hours. And still not at 100%. I have been doing a lot of farming for materials and battling Global Nemeses though. I'm at the stage now where I can kill the Telethia 250 times in one 8-minute run. I feel like I'm definitely going to get 400 hours out of this game...
Damn, I love the game, but maybe not 350 hours worth of love. Much respect to you, sir!

Odo

I'm on 130 hours and I haven't got through chapter 9 yet. I've got no flight module.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Can anyone explain the attributes icons? I still can't figure out most of them.
I spent some time looking at what monsters take damage from each kind of weapon, and I'm still not sure I know what the hell is going on. But from what I remember:

Physical attribute is not resisted by most targets, but it is notoriously weak against armored enemies and hard-shell insects (most insects).
Beam is basically good against humans and humanoids, and isn't resisted by armored or hard-shelled enemies.
Ether, Flame, and Electric are sort of a "magic triangle", in that monsters will usually be resistant to one, neutral or slightly weak to another, and very weak to another. Flame and Electric you can approach with common sense, such as Flame being good against fleshy enemies and Electric being good against water-dwelling enemies. Ether is a crapshoot, it seems like enemies are either slightly weak to it, or not at all.
Gravity is good against mechs and flying enemies.

Odo

Thank you. This thing is quite hard to get Intel in the game. We can see those icons on enemy Intel but there's no legend.

Koenig

The Architect
By the way, I got the flight module. XCX is now a brand new game for me.
Honestly, the pre skell and pre flight portions of the game feel vastly different. I really hope more Nintendo games in the future can capture the sense of scale and power of being in a skell. The sailing in the Windwaker can eat it's heart out, flying in a Skell over Mira is like nothing else.

Odo

Honestly, the pre skell and pre flight portions of the game feel vastly different. I really hope more Nintendo games in the future can capture the sense of scale and power of being in a skell. The sailing in the Windwaker can eat it's heart out, flying in a Skell over Mira is like nothing else.
It really is. I'm thinking a lot about this game, ...I think this game is going to be one of the best games of my life. I've been finding many wow factors and flying is one of them. I sometimes feel like the I way I felt when I played Ocarina of Time back in the days.

BobSilencieux

I posted a screenshot here

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forum...-chronicles-x-thread.3666/page-12#post-141437

on the 5th of March showing off how well I'd done by killing the Telethia Global Nemesis 63 times in one run. I was obviously very pleased with myself. Just over 3 weeks later, I've discovered that 63 really isn't all that much to shout about.

I'm now very pleased with my record of 600 kills in one run. Getting close to 400 hours with this game and still learning.

I wish I enjoyed this game like everyone else. This was my most hyped game of my life time with me watching the original reveal trailer about 300 times. Problem, was I thought the game was going to be like Xenoblade Chronicles. I hated the story, the characters, the lack of explanation and high level enemies constantly in the way of missions. This game was just not my cup of tea and I really wonder if I will be able to enjoy the next game in the series. I hope so.

BobSilencieux

I wish I enjoyed this game like everyone else. This was my most hyped game of my life time with me watching the original reveal trailer about 300 times. Problem, was I thought the game was going to be like Xenoblade Chronicles. I hated the story, the characters, the lack of explanation and high level enemies constantly in the way of missions. This game was just not my cup of tea and I really wonder if I will be able to enjoy the next game in the series. I hope so.
That's a shame. Xenoblade was absolutely my favourite game of last gen, and definitely top 3 of all time, so you can imagine how excited I was for XCX. And for me, XCX delivered. Sure, it's different in many ways to Xenoblade, and inferior in many of those, but better in many other ways. I'm on over 400 hours on the game now and still loving it.

Odo

Nintendo said the next one will be story focused.

sjmartin79

Personally, I felt XCX had a great story.
And the normal missions you would take and the affinity missions helped flesh out and breathe life into the world.

When you add the story chapters to the normal & affinity missions, I was very pleased with the overall story. Much deeper with moral questions and dilemmas, equality, and xenophobia than I was expecting. Kinda mirrors things going on in our own country in some aspects.

Odo

Personally, I felt XCX had a great story.
And the normal missions you would take and the affinity missions helped flesh out and breathe life into the world.

When you add the story chapters to the normal & affinity missions, I was very pleased with the overall story. Much deeper with moral questions and dilemmas, equality, and xenophobia than I was expecting. Kinda mirrors things going on in our own country in some aspects.
Exactly, I think that's the way people should taste XCX. It's quite a living world. When you talk to everyone on NLA you can see different reactions for different chapters. NLA is always changing.

I mostly ignored this game since it came out, but what's the word on it overall? I'm hearing mixed things on the story, but how's the game?

Is it mostly the same as XC in terms of combat and mechanics? More confusing? Too big? I'm currently working my way through XC hoping to actually finish it this time, so I'm more inclined again to pick up XCX one day

Koenig

The Architect
I mostly ignored this game since it came out, but what's the word on it overall? I'm hearing mixed things on the story, but how's the game?

Is it mostly the same as XC in terms of combat and mechanics? More confusing? Too big? I'm currently working my way through XC hoping to actually finish it this time, so I'm more inclined again to pick up XCX one day
The world is bigger (and IMO, better) than Xenoblade, especially once you get a mech to traverse the world. The combat is more carried and allows for more room to grow, however it is far less refined or mechanically sound than the Manodo arts from the first game. It has more complexity, but less depth.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

It's bigger, deeper, more complex, more confusing, and the world is ridiculously huge. I wished somebody had told me to ignore the collectopedia until I got my Skell, I would have saved so much time I spent running around collecting the shiny things.

It basically is a huge storm of mechanics and game systems that spirals out of control at every turn, and you have to find a few things you really care about and hold on to them, otherwise it's overwhelmingly tedious. But once you got the things you care about and you set your mind to working on them, it is a glorious game. For example, I cared first and foremost about exploring the world, and becoming more powerful for the combat system, so I focused on that and mostly ignored sidequests, the main story, affinity, the collectopedia, and so on. As time went on, I was able to work on those other game systems little by little without feeling like they were keeping me from the things I enjoyed about the game.

Odo

It's bigger, deeper, more complex, more confusing, and the world is ridiculously huge. I wished somebody had told me to ignore the collectopedia until I got my Skell, I would have saved so much time I spent running around collecting the shiny things.

It basically is a huge storm of mechanics and game systems that spirals out of control at every turn, and you have to find a few things you really care about and hold on to them, otherwise it's overwhelmingly tedious. But once you got the things you care about and you set your mind to working on them, it is a glorious game. For example, I cared first and foremost about exploring the world, and becoming more powerful for the combat system, so I focused on that and mostly ignored sidequests, the main story, affinity, the collectopedia, and so on. As time went on, I was able to work on those other game systems little by little without feeling like they were keeping me from the things I enjoyed about the game.
It's a game about freedom. But you've got to know how to use your freedom.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
So I'm finally making progress in XCX. I just finished Chapter 6 last night, and an working on finally getting my Skell license. YAY!!!!

I also think I'm starting to become more and more familar with how the battle system works in terms of timing. So when your party members ask for certain arts, you do those as part of your soul voice and extra damage, and of course the B-button timing, which in some cases it's trial and error. I am more conscience about hitting the button perfectly after I do some arts for extra damage, but still a WIP.

Btw, any particular tricks of the trade for using Overdrive?

Shoulder

It is a shame that overdrive is useless before post game, as it does have interesting mechanics; however on its own it is just nowhere near as useful as the Manado arts or chain attack from the first game.
Chain attack was awesome in XC, so hearing this from you makes me think OD is a step back compared to CA. That being said, XC was more party oriented in such that you could control any member of your party. In XCX, you are only ever in control of your own avatar, so I guess some limitations had to be made. That also being said, you still have control of your party members' arts, so it wouldn't be difficult still to implement. You could even add a timer function to the system, so you are limited to how long you can be in chain attack per character. Perhaps the quicker you make choices, more time on the clock, and equals more damage per attack.

Just a thought.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
My advice: Don't. Overdrive is almost useless until post game. It is better to save the points for reviving team mates.
It is a shame that overdrive is useless before post game, as it does have interesting mechanics; however on its own it is just nowhere near as useful as the Manado arts or chain attack from the first game.
I felt the complete opposite about this. I always let my teammates stay dead, and used my overdrive to do hundreds of thousands of damage to any monster since like chapter 8. There was a long span of time in which I'd rack up damage faster with overdrive on foot than on the level 30 mechs. I still only get on the mech when I absolutely have to.

BobSilencieux

I felt the complete opposite about this. I always let my teammates stay dead, and used my overdrive to do hundreds of thousands of damage to any monster since like chapter 8. There was a long span of time in which I'd rack up damage faster with overdrive on foot than on the level 30 mechs. I still only get on the mech when I absolutely have to.
Yeah, I'm with Juegos. Overdrive was always awesome from the outset.

My tip for beginners: get a good Extend Overdrive augment equipped until you start figuring out the little tricks to extend it yourself.

sjmartin79

Yeah, I'm with Juegos. Overdrive was always awesome from the outset.

My tip for beginners: get a good Extend Overdrive augment equipped until you start figuring out the little tricks to extend it yourself.
Yep, this is exactly what I did as well.

I skated by just pressing the "Wear best armor" option.
Except the final chapter, where I used up my salvage and health items and used overdrive fairly effectively.

Shoulder

XCX is really starting to piss me off. Now I know I don't have all the bits down concerning the battle system, but it shouldn't be this difficult to defeat enemies that are at or even slightly above my own level. Twice now I've had to reduce the difficult for some story battles because I simply could not do it without it.

I'm currently at Chapter 9, and I cannot get passed this fucking second battle, even with the reduced difficulty. I'm lvl 31, and my skell is hardly doing shit, and my own party cannot last more than a minute. I know there is something I'm missing here, but it gets to the point of frustration, and makes me wonder why the hell did Monolith soft make everything so fucking complicated. I want to love this game, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to doing so.

I need a break...

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
XCX is really starting to piss me off. Now I know I don't have all the bits down concerning the battle system, but it shouldn't be this difficult to defeat enemies that are at or even slightly above my own level. Twice now I've had to reduce the difficult for some story battles because I simply could not do it without it.

I'm currently at Chapter 9, and I cannot get passed this fucking second battle, even with the reduced difficulty. I'm lvl 31, and my skell is hardly doing shit, and my own party cannot last more than a minute. I know there is something I'm missing here, but it gets to the point of frustration, and makes me wonder why the hell did Monolith soft make everything so fucking complicated. I want to love this game, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to doing so.

I need a break...

The bosses are crazy. I think at Chapter 9 I went in around level 40 and everyone had Skells. I spent a lot of time just wondering around but that is more of how I play a game like this. Maybe focus on exploring for a while then come back to it?

I will say, the hardest fight I had was Chapter 8. I had to actually change a ton of armor and arts around to get through that fight.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@Shoulder, you're not going to want to go into Chapter 10 right away, either. It's a real bitch of a chapter, and you need your Skells to be in top shape for it. Oh and for Chapter 11 you'll want your on-foot skills to be top shape as well.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
@Shoulder, you're not going to want to go into Chapter 10 right away, either. It's a real bitch of a chapter, and you need your Skells to be in top shape for it. Oh and for Chapter 11 you'll want your on-foot skills to be top shape as well.
yeah, you definitely want to have your skills up before filing for chapter 11... wait what?

Shoulder

I just want the goddamn flight module... :(

My issue was listening to what Fried was saying about skipping all the affinity and sidequest stuff, and just doing the main Chapter missions, but I find that rather pointless because I don't get to savor in and truly explore, and quite simply jsut do whatever the fuck I want.

There's also that the sdie quests and affinity missions do help with leveling you up, on top of just exploring the different areas and getting more xp that way as well.

BobSilencieux

I really feel like if you're just running throught the story missions, you're doing it wrong. You need to savour this game; do all the affinity missions you can. The benefits will be two-fold: 1, you learn good new arts for every affinity mission completed, and 2, you naturally level up in the process, making the story missions inherently easier when you come to do them...

Koenig

The Architect
I still feel that the story and combat are far less refined than they were in the first game, but I do agree that the game is best played going at your own pace.

Shoulder

I really feel like if you're just running throught the story missions, you're doing it wrong. You need to savour this game; do all the affinity missions you can. The benefits will be two-fold: 1, you learn good new arts for every affinity mission completed, and 2, you naturally level up in the process, making the story missions inherently easier when you come to do them...
And see, this is precisely how I played through XC on the Wii...twice. That's the last time I listen to Frito's advise...

Odo

I need a break...
You need to check your foe weaknesses. Sometimes you just need to change your weapon, try another type of weapon. Try to change your armour. Try to upgrade your arts. That's what this game is about. It's not just about levelling up. You've got a huge character build system on your hands that you've got to explore.

Shoulder

You need to check your foe weaknesses. Sometimes you just need to change your weapon, try another type of weapon. Try to change your armour. Try to upgrade your arts. That's what this game is about. It's not just about levelling up. You've got a huge character build system on your hands that you've got to explore.
And see, I'm not used to that type of setup. My realm of JRPGs in the past are, you level up, you simply get better armor and weapons, and that's that. With XCX, and to some extent with XC, that's not really the case here.

You could say I've already been exposed to this particular type of grinding due to my time with MH3U and more recently 4U, but XCX takes this up a notch, especially when you add in Skells to the mix. I understand that in theory, you don't ever seem to run out of battle points, items to find, enemies to fight, and equipment to find, so it ultimately comes down to spending the hundreds of hours necessary to get everything out of it.

In some respects, unlike XC, I feel the learning curve, and ultimate dedication needed can be a big turn off for a lot of gamers. With XC, I never had that. From the first battle all the way to the last, I was completely hooked and could not put it down. With XCX however, this is not the case. Interestingly enough, that could be because XCX takes cues from a lot of different western style RPGs, and it could be because of this level of customization and grinding that I'm finding it off-putting at times. Like I said though, I don't hate the game, and I don't plan on giving up on it. I really do like the game, but as of now, XCX is nowhere near the level that XC was imo. That could change as I spend more time with it though. As I also said, I'm starting to have a better grasp of the battle system, so there's a good start.