The perpetual fluffy fox thread

the_randomizer

Something I want to make, a thread all about foxes and my encounters with them via my friends, sanctuaries, USDA-licensed fox breeders, etc, to show the world the magic and mystique of vulpes vulpes :D There are a lot of myths and misconceptions surrounding foxes, and admittedly, I am a bit wary about posting this thread on here as not everyone will be receptive and maybe even distanced at my advocating and love of said animals, I don't know. But either way, I want to address any and all myths about them and educate the truth in hopes of dispelling them. A little background, I often volunteer at a local sanctuary, where there resides a rescued vixen name Skitter, she was very young when she was rescued, but five years later, she is one of the sweetest little animals I've ever known, she will run up to you, flop on the ground, and wag her tail while happily squeaking :D She gives kisses, nuzzles ya and just is so playful and cute!

This is the first pic of her showing affection to me in December 2012:

Foxes, contrary to belief, pose no danger/threat to people as in nature, they are very wary of humans. But in captivity, after being hand-reared, they are incredibly curious and sweet. The bottom half of these pics were taken in spring 2013.

Koenig

The Architect
It makes me wish the US had a full on breeding program similar to the Russian project for the Silver Fox. Domesticated fox's could easily dominate the next generation of pets if they were common enough to become well known.

the_randomizer

It makes me wish the US had a full on breeding program similar to the Russian project for the Silver Fox. Domesticated fox's could easily dominate the next generation of pets if they were common enough to become well known.
Actually, behaviorally speaking the USDA-raised foxes vs the Russian foxes aren't terribly different. In fact, even the Russian foxes are still quite a handful to care for and as of 2015, 23 states allow fox ownership in the USA :p That being said, they are slowly but surely become more and more legal, it's a tough battle for sure, but we're winning and Tennessee just legalized foxes not too long ago :D They are a lot of fun to be around for sure!

I've always wanted a pet fox, so jelly. Adorable.
They're a lot of fun to be around, very very playful and freaking cute :D