The problem with Shadow of the Colossus

BobSilencieux

...Is the camera. What a completely god-awful game-ruining c*nt.

I'm a sensible, open-minded guy, and i knew that i would have to allow for certain archaic elements coming to the SOTC party nearly 9 years late, but this is by far the worst camera i've ever had to deal with in a game. There was literally never a time that i wasn't fighting the f*cking thing as it pointed mainly at the ground, swung wildly about, and never focused on anything that i actually wanted to look at. The game is absolutely beautiful in terms of music, setting, structure, and core gameplay, but the despicable, detestable, loathsome minge-dribble of a camera means i won't be going back for a second playthrough. Which is a shame because i normally love exploring and wasting away time in games like this. Oh well. Am i crazy or do any of you recall having similar issues with SOTC? Bonus discussion point: what's the worst game camera in your opinion?

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Having never played the game I can't comment on the camera. What I will say is that the game is held and spoke of as one if the greatest games of all time. I've never heard anyone ever talk about the camera like this. Seems a game so held as greatness that this would be kinda a slight on the game, but I've never heard of people talking about it. Obviously I trust you opinion on this Sir Bob because I know the type of gamer you are so it's just hit me as strange that I've never heard this slight before about the camera.

As for the worst camera ever that I've played with. For down reason I wanna say Kid Icurus : Uprising. I don't think that's all the camera tho, but that the game handing is just odd. And I can do great at the game and think it is a great game, but sometimes things can get off quick with the camera in the heat of battle.

BobSilencieux

Having never played the game I can't comment on the camera. What I will say is that the game is held and spoke of as one if the greatest games of all time. I've never heard anyone ever talk about the camera like this. Seems a game so held as greatness that this would be kinda a slight on the game, but I've never heard of people talking about it. Obviously I trust you opinion on this Sir Bob because I know the type of gamer you are so it's just hit me as strange that I've never heard this slight before about the camera.
That's kind-of why i made this thread: because i never heard anything like that either, but HOLY SHIT is it bad. I want to see if anybody else had the same experience...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I don't remember hating it, but I do remember it seemingly having a mind of its own.

Recently, one problem I've had is with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but not necessarily the camera, just the field of view. The camera is so close to the character that when you're fighting a big monster (and this doesn't apply to ranged combat, only to blademasters) they can be so big that they obstruct the view completely. The Azure Rathalos is a good example of this, if you happen to encounter a big one and end up fighting him near a corner.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I suppose I'm in the "mere annoyance" camp. It could certainly be problematic, but I don't remember it being game-ruining. Have to pop it back in ye olde PS2 soon.

I don't remember ever having an issue with the camera in SotC, not to the point where it ruined gameplay or anything like that.

I know it's picking on an easy target but the worst camera I've ever come across is in Bubsy 3D. The worst part about that though is that it spins around the character whenever you take damage and you lose your orientation