The Shackled Wolves - 2021 Games Completed Thread

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Xenoblade: Definitive Edition (NS) + Future Connected

I think with this playthrough of Xenoblade I can confirm it's one of my favorite RPG's of all time. Just stellar across the board: interesting characters, an amazing world to explore, great main plot that's unique and bonkers, fun battle system, etc. The updated music is fantastic, the boss music gives me chills to this day. I'm happy I rebought this for Switch, the updated character models look waaaaaay better, and the visuals themselves are beautiful.

Future Connected is a post game story that brings back a previously cut area from the original release. It's cool to finally experience the map, but the story is nothing stellar. It deals with themes present in the main game. The main baddy isn't that great either. To quote ET. "It's kinda hard to follow up punching god in the face.". I think that's why I usually ignore post game content in RPG's. Once you hit that emotional and climatic high of beating the main threat, which is usually a God, nothing really compares.

But before I did punch him out, I did a lot of the end game stuff, getting everyone above level 95, basically did everything I could. Was a ton of fun, but boy am I ready for shorter games again haha. I wasn't aware Tales of Arise's release date was so soon, i.e. a few days ago, so that will unfortunately wait awhile whilst I decompress from over 90 hours of anime.

So yeah, if you want to buy it, buy it for the main game. Future Connected is still good, but I don't think it's worth a buy just for that if you beaten Xenoblade on Wii or 3DS recently. I will say though, FC did give me a new waifu, so there's that.
Would you suggest then Future Connected might be better played during your normal playthrough of the main game ala what the Monolith Soft Director made a comment on with XC2 + Torna? Say after a particular chapter in the main game of XBC is done, stop that, boot up Future Connected, and then come back to finish the remainder of the playthrough?

Would you suggest then Future Connected might be better played during your normal playthrough of the main game ala what the Monolith Soft Director made a comment on with XC2 + Torna? Say after a particular chapter in the main game of XBC is done, stop that, boot up Future Connected, and then come back to finish the remainder of the playthrough?
Future Connected takes place after the events of the main game, so it's meant to be played once you finish that.