The Stock Market Thread for Great Justice and Profits

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Ok, so I don't have time to make a full introduction to this topic...

But basically, this thread will be a place to learn about and invest in stocks.

In here we can help eachother out with stock picks, recommend services, etc..

getting set up in the market is a bit arduous, but I have had a great experience with Robinhood, an app for iphone and android that makes investing cheap and easy. No transaction fees. No Minimum. So you could invest a single dollar if you wanted (and there are stocks worth less than a cent)

so first things first... if you are curious about the market I HIGHLY recommend setting up a Robinhood account by downloading the app... it takes a long time to set up, and they need a LOT of information from you which they have to then authenticate (it takes a while) so I HIGHLY recommend doing it right away... there is no required upfront investment.. and I personally vouch for the company's legitimacy.

https://www.robinhood.com/

Happy trading.

mattavelle1

ARMS is like breathing.......but more important
I will try and help with this is I get any juicy tips:msilly:

For real tho. Maybe we should just start with educating and talking about very basic rules and what are fundamentals that we know to this point about stocks and the stock markets.

Rule #1 I know. Buy low but sell high if at all possible.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
ok, so it is about time I update

so first lets go over some basic stuff

1. In order to trade stocks you need a broker, until recently that meant paying a fee on every transaction, but now we have services like Robinhood which get rid of those fees.... in addition.. brokerage firms used to require a minimum investment... usually around $500-1000... on Robinhood (and other services like it) this is not an issue... you can invest a single dollar if you want... and there are stocks you can buy for less than a cent

2. In most cases the recommended practice is to buy low and sell high... this can be tricky, because when you buy you don't know if it will continue to swing down further, and the opposite goes for when you sell... the best way is to anticipate stock movements.. instead of investing as the market changes, anticipate something that will move the stock... This is why you should primarily invest in stocks that you know... for example, is netflix has been quiet, and their stock has dropped, but you know, as a fan, that some of the msot exciting shows are coming up, but haven;t yet been advertised... that might be a good time to buy... you should also work towards understanding a market in which you buy... I primarily trade in tech stocks... chip makers like amd and qualcomm, so I keep myself up to date on changes in that market... my dad invests primarily in pharmaceuticals.... like companies who make experimental drugs to treat Alzheimers or other such things. You might not want to invest in something you are TOO passionate about, because it can also effect your judgement... I would have likely lost a lot of money if I was able to invest in Nintendo... I get aboard the hype train too easily.

3. There are 2 other ways to make money on stocks besides selling high. While I have never played with short selling (basically predicting when a stock will tank), and cannot make suggestions, there are also dividends, which I have received. I owned 10 shares of Qualcomm stock (which I sold, but will likely rebuy), every quarter they pay their stock owners for owning stock... this is a dividend. In the case of Qualcomm, this quarter they paid me $4.80 for my 10 shares.... I bought my Qualcomm stock at just under $50 a share, and sold it at around $52, but kept it long enough (and during the right stretch of time) to qualify for dividends... so I made about $20 from selling the stock, and $4.80 from having had it... not all stocks pay dividends, but sometimes it is a great incentive to buy stable stocks... stable stocks wont make you a lot of money because their value does not wildly fluctuate, that, however, makes it a great place to store money with little risk, and if they pay dividends, than you get paid for keeping your money with them... kind of like interest from a bank, but more substantial. So look up stocks that pay healthy dividends, track their performance history, and buy them as low as you can... then consider keeping them for a while.

the stocks I actively watch:
Qualcomm (QCOM)
AMD (AMD)
Twitter (TWTR)(because it is my biggest mistake, but 1 share at $25, and it is still dropping... right now at $15, my pride makes me refuse to sell)
Netflix (NFLX)(if they ever give me press access I will probably have to stop)

I also keep an eye out for smaller tech companies that fit the needs of current demands, I invested in a low valued company and made a 50% profit because I was reading reports about how it's stock value made no sense since it had strong contracts as a parts manufacturer for major chip makers... I bought it, waited for stories about how it was accurately priced, and then sold it... this is an example of a stock within my field... I knew of the companies they had contracts with, but not about the company itself, they aren't interesting enough for me as a long term investment, but I could tell their stock was due to rise, so I bought, then sold when it seemed to be at a normal level... I don't track the company anymore, I don't need to.

TechnoHobbit

Ash nazg durbatulûk
I set up a Roth IRA this month. I'm staying away from single stocks for my IRA and just investing in no transaction-fee mutual funds trying to use the core and satellite approach--I'm trying a bit of everything as long as it has a good strong history, simply trying to diversify as much as possible right now. It's a nice low stakes (since I have such a long investment horizon, the funds can be a lot safer overall, and taxes aren't something I need to worry about since it's a Roth) way to better learn how the market works all while setting up my retirement. February was an interesting time to start really paying attention to the market. :p Just glad I didn't set up my Roth IRA at the peak in January (not that it really would have mattered in the long run, still nice in the short term).

Once I learn more I'll have to eventually set up a Robinhood account for non-retirement focused purchases, like buying stocks in individual companies I believe in.