The"Your pet peeves" Thread

Koenig

The Architect
The premise of this thread is simple: Share one of your pet peeves per post (or how you feel about someone else's pet peeve if you feel like it). As always, remember to keep it mostly civil, and have a good time!

My pet peeve: People who don't use their turn signals while driving.

BobSilencieux

People driving through when they can see the light is turning red, and they had plenty of time to slow down and stop.

People doing 30mph+ in the 20mph zone near my daughter's school.

People parking stupidly (on double yellow lines / right next to a junction etc).

People switching lanes on a roundabout.

People turning without indicating.

People doing 30mph on the 60mph limit road I take to work.

Audi drivers. Range Rover drivers. They almost unanimously believe that they are better and more important than everybody else on the road.

Yeah basically all my pet peeves are driving related.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
The premise of this thread is simple: Share one of your pet peeves per post (or how you feel about someone else's pet peeve if you feel like it). As always, remember to keep it mostly civil, and have a good time!

My pet peeve: People who don't use their turn signals while driving.
Yes!!! In Florida, it seems like most people don't know they even have a turn signal.

But my biggest pet peeve is motorcycle drivers that make up their own traffic rules but still wanted to be treated like other vehicles.
If you want cars to care about your safety while on a motorcycle: Don't speed up the side of the road across the white to avoid traffic, don't drive up the middle line in stopped traffic, do weave in and out of traffic without using a signal. And wear a friggin helmet!

Motorcyclists down here are the worst I've experienced.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Share one of your pet peeves per post
Guys named "Todd."
...don't drive up the middle line in stopped traffic...
Lane splitting, yeah. Worse still when done in motion on the damn highway. It's mostly illegal here in the States, quasi-legal elsewhere, unenforceable in developing countries with a lot of scooters, and makes me want to smack a MF every time I see it. I just don't get it. It's already dangerous enough to be on a motorcycle in traffic. In America, you're in the land of SUVs. FFS, I drive a Mini Cooper and it still weighs 2,500 lbs. You really wanna tangle with a one-ton car, or a two-ton truck? Don't give me all this "watch for motorcycles!" stuff if you insist on driving into my blindspots.

EvilTw1n

Overly enthuaiastic people in Yoga pants who say "be fierce!"

Yes, soccer parents in your athleisure attire. You remind me of raging cage fighters and wild tigers.

EvilTw1n

Keurig brewers.

Don't get me wrong, I own one. I primarily use it for tea, though. I have some coffee pods I use every now and again, but just as a vehicle for caffeine when I really need it on a weekend morning.

How do you create something in which you are able to input dozens of different types of coffee, and yet they all turn out exactly the same?

I'm not a coffee snob. You can make good coffee out of Maxwell House, ffs. But how does a Keurig always, without fail, make the same tasting coffee? I can put in a pod of Earl Grey tea, and it tastes like Earl Grey. A pod of English breakfast tastes like English breakfast. So how the hell does a light roast coffee pod taste the same as a dark Italian roast?

sjmartin79

A) What movie is that from?

B) A pet peeve that has recently moved higher on my list: People walking down the sidewalk, shoulder to shoulder, blocking the whole thing but moving at a snails pace. Ran into a group of 4 adults in their 50s on Saturday doing this in downtown Sarasota. Not only did they not move when people were coming at them (forcing the person to take a step off the sidewalk), but they didn't move any faster or move to the side when they realized there was a group behind them. I finally had to say "Can you either move to the side or at least walk like you have a purpose in life?" They moved to the side.

Koenig

The Architect
Speaking of which, I just started watching season 3 of Stranger Things. Got a lot annoyed by the end of episode two and had to google a few things, but suffice to say... Innocents Dying is a massive mood killer for me in shows and movies like this...

sjmartin79

Speaking of which, I just started watching season 3 of Stranger Things. Got a lot annoyed by the end of episode two and had to google a few things, but suffice to say... Innocents Dying is a massive mood killer for me in shows and movies like this...
Agreed about innocents dying. I'm usually only okay with that if the violence is over-the-top/campy or an extinction-level movie like Independence Day.

Koenig

The Architect
Agreed about innocents dying. I'm usually only okay with that if the violence is over-the-top/campy or an extinction-level movie like Independence Day.
not to derail the thread to much, but seeing as how it is one of my pet peeves I guess ill expand on it.

In terms of story telling or a well defined plot incidents , I am alright with character and civilian deaths; however in most cases random bystandards getting killed comes off more as manipulative and/or lazy and serves to pull me out of the story rather than immerse me.

Its one of the reasons that I enjoyed most of the Marvel films more than their recent DCEU counter parts;

Marvel films goes out of there way to either hide civilian deaths, or show the hero's actually protecting them. Meanwhile DC relishes in using on screen death to raise the stakes. I know this does not matter to some, but for me its a complete boner killer. I don't watch movies and shows to see on screen approximations of the people I love and myself getting murdered.

sjmartin79

not to derail the thread to much, but seeing as how it is one of my pet peeves I guess ill expand on it.

In terms of story telling or a well defined plot incidents , I am alright with character and civilian deaths; however in most cases random bystandards getting killed comes off more as manipulative and/or lazy and serves to pull me out of the story rather than immerse me.

Its one of the reasons that I enjoyed most of the Marvel films more than their recent DCEU counter parts;

Marvel films goes out of there way to either hide civilian deaths, or show the hero's actually protecting them. Meanwhile DC relishes in using on screen death to raise the stakes. I know this does not matter to some, but for me its a complete boner killer. I don't watch movies and shows to see on screen approximations of the people I love and myself getting murdered.

A million times this!!!!
Man of Steel pissed me off so much because Superman is running around saying "I won't kill", but I know tens of thousands of people died in his fight with Zod at the end of the movie. All that destruction, and Superman wasn't trying to save civilians. They were just punching each other into buildings and throwing each other through occupied buildings. Honestly, that ruined the whole movie for me. I was really enjoying it till that. And what I've noticed since then is exactly what you said, the DCEU seems to go out of its way to show the destruction to civilians.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
People just standing on the pavement/sidewalk, walking really slowly and blocking the way. And people walking in a group, covering the entire pavement and REFUSING to make way, especially when I'm on the side where I have my back turned to traffic. Am I supposed to walk on the road, or do people want to be bump into?

I used to just suck it up and move on, but years of doing so got me to the point where I have an internal mental fit whenever it happens, so now I just bump into those shits who can't seem to make way, or pre-plan my route so I can walk with as little human interaction as possible.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

People just standing on the pavement/sidewalk, walking really slowly and blocking the way. And people walking in a group, covering the entire pavement and REFUSING to make way, especially when I'm on the side where I have my back turned to traffic. Am I supposed to walk on the road, or do people want to be bump into?

I used to just suck it up and move on, but years of doing so got me to the point where I have an internal mental fit whenever it happens, so now I just bump into those shits who can't seem to make way, or pre-plan my route so I can walk with as little human interaction as possible.
I said the same thing above as one of my pet peeves. *High Five*